Turning Tides | P. Jackson Bo...

By MayLarie10

~Book Dedication~ For the Black Sheep of the family. Even though you try somehow it's still your fault. You'r... More

Cast
The Gods
You're A Real Problem
We've Got A New Kid
We've Got A New Kid [pt 2]
Let's Go On A Quest
Let's Go On A Quest [pt 2]
Was That A Chimera?
It's Ares
Who Are You?
This Isn't Good
Where's Luke?
She's Your Sister!
He's A Cyclops
Grover's Wedding Dress
We're Leaving
He's Afraid of The Dark
I'm Going To Die In The Sea
My Name is Thalassa
You Need A Little Help?
I'm Sorry Ayden
Thalia
Prophesiezed
Merry Christmas
Hello Again
I Refuse
Family
Immortality
First Greek Party
Camp
Brutal
She's Not Judgemental
Esmeray Cromwell
Grover's In Trouble
Addy
Mr. Di Angelo
Always
The Fate of Olympus
I Promised You
Brat
I Know You're Tired
Ayden Made A Gun
Is This A Date?
I'm Having Fun
Updated Cast *OLDER*
Real Talk
Happy Birthday
God Killer
Wanted
Lo Mein
I'm Ready To Hurt Some Shiny Kids
For Old Times Sake
Bigger Threats
Swear On The River Styx
Dylan's Candy Shop
Eris Cursed Her

I'm A What?

238 13 0
By MayLarie10

Book 1 - The Lighting Thief

!!!!TRIGGER WARNING!!!!

Blood, Suicidal references, violence

      "Ayden!" The woman called. Ayden hid behind one of the crates as she caught her breath. She'd been teleporting and running for blocks, but it still tracked her. A random woman grabbed her in a store before she could run. The woman shifted into this creature thing.

      "Come on. Come on." She breathed. She took another breath and opened her eyes feeling a wave of something overcome her senses. Ayden didn't understand why she had abilities like this. She didn't understand how she could do some of the things she did, but she stopped trying to figure it out a few months ago. It had gotten so bad that she couldn't sleep. She barely slept as it was, but she knew that she was supposed to be somewhere. She could feel something out there, calling to her.

      Ayden blinked several times as her eyes adjusted to the setting sun. She realized she was back outside the warehouse. It didn't take her long to start running once more. A few steps and she was farther down the street. The teleporting had caught her off guard making her stumble as the ground changed underneath her feet.

      She didn't stop to look around or care. All she knew was that the woman wasn't human. She was something from her nightmares. The ones Ayden has had since she could remember. Her mother never soothed her. She always fed into her illusions saying it was all real.

      That was before her mother had killed herself. Ayden doesn't think about her mother much anymore. Not after finding her that night. Ayden called 911 and left her mother's body on the floor. She had to move forward. She felt that if she stopped everything might come crashing back into her. That she would fall apart.

      "Ayden!"

      She didn't know how they knew her name. She didn't know what they wanted from her. Ayden just wanted to be left alone. She ran from the streets seeing a gas station. An old Ford truck idling near the doors.

      Before Ayden could stop herself she jumped into the truck slamming her foot on the gas. The truck squealed, but it didn't move. Ayden looked to the middle seeing the shift and moved it to the 'D'. She pressed the gas down once more as she took off. There were screams from beside her from the owner of the truck, but she didn't stop. She couldn't stop.

      She had never driven before, she was only twelve. She didn't know anything, but she got the gist. Left is the brake right is the gas. She pressed the gas to the floor as she raced onto the road. The truck leaned to one side almost hitting another car as she attempted to weave through traffic.

      "Shit." She breathed moving the wheel back onto the right side of the road. She could see in the mirrors the creature flying in the air. Ayden gripped the steering wheel. Her window was halfway down so she could hear the screeching of the monster as it still followed her. She didn't know where she was going. She had no destination in mind, there was a feeling deep in her gut. She'd always trusted herself. She trusted her own judgment over anyone else's and if she didn't trust herself then how could she trust anyone else?  So she drove onward. Haphazardly weaving in and out of cars.

      "Montauk," Ayden muttered as she passed one of the giant road signs.

      A loud shriek pierced her ears as the driver's side window shattered. The monster's claws latched onto her arm making her cry out. She yanked the wheel to the side driving off the road toward the trees. At the last minute, she moved the wheel back as the creature hit the tree flying off the truck. She attempted to get the truck back onto the road with no avail. It slammed into the trees as Ayden's head snapped forward hitting the steering wheel.

      The creature had moved onto the hood of the truck yanking her through the windshield. Ayden was barely conscious at this point. Its talons dug into her shoulder making her cry out once more as her feet moved from the ground. It didn't take long before they were high above the trees.

      Ayden threw her hands up snapping the creature's ankle. It shrieked and released her as the wind whipped around her. Ayden threw her hands up hoping that something would happen but nothing did. She felt a wind turn her to face the treetops as she saw them blur together. Ayden closed her eyes tightly as rain fell from the sky. It was crying for her.

      For a single second Ayden's fall stopped as she hit the first branch. Her arm tried to hook around the branch, but she couldn't get a grip. She fell through the trees her body hitting each of the branches. The leaves and sticks sliced at her clothes and skin. She hit the ground with a thud. She had to take a moment to make sure she was alive after that. She didn't know how far she had fallen, but her entire body hurt.

      She was convinced she had a concussion from the crash. Her shoulder was torn into and now she was scratched to hell. She heard the cry from the creature as the rain pelted the dirt around Ayden. She pushed herself up. Through the trees, she could see a field. In the distance at the top of the hill a single tree. All common sense told Ayden to stay in the forest so she had cover, but there was something about the tree. The rain had soaked her clothes now. The sound of thunder mixed with the cries of the creature.

      "Argh!" Ayden groaned as she took off running from the treeline into the open field. She knew it was stupid, but Ayden had pledged to trust herself. She knew herself better than anyone else. She was the only person she needed to survive. The minute Ayden broke through the treeline the creature dove for her. She dodged a few of the swipes.

      In the distance, she saw lightning strike light up the sky. It was calling her forward. The sky quickly darkened as it grew angry, but the tree was still lit up. Ayden pushed herself farther and faster even when her legs burned. She didn't know where she would go after she stopped at the tree, but she knew her legs would give out the moment she touched the bark. She couldn't explain it.

      "Come on." The rain made everything muddy as she raced up the hill. She grabbed one of the rocks from the ground turning to face the creature as it caught her. She threw her hand forward hitting it in the head with the rock as it cried out.

      She hit it again, again, again, and again.

      She could see the blood mixed with the rain as it poured on her, but she didn't stop until it disappeared. Into dust. She rolled onto her stomach seeing that the single tree wasn't too far from her. She let out a breath when she touched it.

      A ripple went through the air. Like she'd interrupted something, but it dissapeared as she moved past the tree. The rain slowly as she walked further past the tree. At the top of the hill, she could see buildings in the distance. She could see shelter for her. She stepped forward, but her foot didn't hit the dirt. It hit concrete as her knee gave in from the shift. She knelt on the stone looking up at the columns.

      "The hell," She looked around seeing a fire in the middle. There were people around. In shirts. Camp Half-Blood. That's what they said. Some were younger than others. She felt exposed and she didn't like that. She pushed herself up once again taking in a full breath.

      "You look like you crawled from hell," A girl laughed as she came forward. Ayden glared at her. "Oh, you don't want to talk?" The girl crossed her arms as the others laughed. Ayden rolled her eyes and turned. She took another step, but the scenery changed once again. She was in another room. It had glass-stained windows and looked out over a vast lake. A man was seated in a chair. His long hair and beard, made him look like one of the homeless people Ayden had come across.

      "Oh hey," The man grumbled. He had sunglasses on his forehead and a can of Coke in his hand. "What's your name again?" She stared at him, her chest rising and falling rapidly.

      "Ayden. What is this?"

      "This," He laughed as he gestured to the side. It was like some kind of dream camp. "This is Camp Half-Blood. A camp for demigods. Children of the gods above." He spoke like it was some kind of Shakespearean poetry. Ayden glared at him. "You have a horrible attitude." Ayden didn't respond as someone or something walked around the corner. It was a man, well, centaur.

      "Ayden Rivera, this is Mr. D. My name is Chiron. I am the director of Camp Half-Blood. Do you understand how you got here?"

      "I don't understand anything," Ayden looked around. She felt safe, but it bothered her. She'd never felt like this before, but somehow her body knew she wouldn't be chased here.

      "Well let's take you to the infirmary and then we can explain everything to you. About who you are and what you can do?" He gave her a tight smile as he gestured for her to walk. Ayden shook her head.

      "I'm afraid to move," She admitted. She couldn't look at either of the people in front of her. "If I move I think I might change or—."

      "Teleport," Chiron finished for her. He gave her a tight smile. "You won't if you walk with me, I'm sure you will be able to handle it. You've been managing it for long enough."

      "No, she—." Mr. D was going to say something but shut up when Chiron stared at him.

      "Let's walk," Chiron muttered as he moved forward. Ayden clenched her hands but followed after him. "May I ask why you are covered in blood?"

      "I was attacked by this winged creature," Ayden stopped talking. She wanted to know what he was going to say. Her shoulder gave a reminder of the wound it still wore. Her muscles ached each time she moved her arm.

      "Ah yes, a fury," Chiron nodded. "They've been hunting you. Well, it's a good thing you handled it."

      "I don't understand," Ayden shook her head. They walked along the ground. The people stared at her as they walked together. She was covered in blood and scratched to bits. She was catching the attention of a lot of people.

      "You will understand in time, it's a lot to take in at first," Chiron smiled. "Well, we are here. I will let them take care of you. Luke will be by later or tomorrow to show you to his cabin, well you're cabin—."

      "My cabin?" Ayden asked as a woman looked at her arm.

      "Yes, this is your home now Ayden. You don't have to run anymore," Chiron moved out of the room. Ayden watched him leave. Her mind wandered. Her home now. She was a demigod. Her father was a god. That's what her mother meant. When she spoke about her father all the time like he was some kind of god. A hateful god, but a god. He had a temper. She would always talk about his insufferable temper.

***

      "Ayden Rivera." A guy came toward Ayden she was glaring at people who walked past her. She'd been waiting for some time for 'Luke' to show up. The guy had dark hair and a scar going down his right eye. "I'm Luke." He offered his hand. Ayden stared at his hand and then back up at him. He laughed a little.

      "Sorry," Ayden muttered as she shook his hand. "I'm still adjusting to this." She waved her hand around as people still walked past. Luke touched her cheek gently making her flinch away from him.

      "Sorry," He held up his hands laughing. "You caught a lot of attention here today. Appearing all bloody and then teleporting away like it was nothing. It's impressive."

      "I'm not impressive. I didn't even mean to," Ayden admitted. "Are you here to take me to your cabin?"

      "Not mine exactly," Luke smirked. "Hermes cabin, it's where all the unclaimed demigods live. It's like a sanctuary." Ayden nodded. Unclaimed, just what she wanted to be considered. Like an orphan. Which she was.

      "Great."

      "Can I ask you something?" Luke asked as they walked together. Ayden didn't look at him as they walked instead she stared down everyone around them. She didn't trust or like any of them. No one was her friend.

      "Sure."

      "How long have you been on your own?" He asked. Ayden stopped walking. Luke turned to face her. His eyes moved over the scratches all over her face.

      "How's the little baby girl?" The girl from earlier appeared. She had curly hair and a darker complexion than Ayden's.

      "Clarisse, be nice," Luke warned. The girl laughed at Ayden.

      "Seriously, what the hell do you think that was appearing like that." She stepped closer to Ayden expecting her to step back, but Ayden didn't. Instead, she smiled at the girl. Clarisse's smile faltered for a moment. She allowed herself a moment of hesitation before shoving Ayden back. She stumbled and took a deep breath.

      "Don't touch me," Ayden snapped. Her newly bandaged shoulder screamed, but the pain was covered by the rage that flooded her veins.

      "Or what?" Clarisse laughed as her friends came up behind her. Ayden glared at the friends behind Clarisse. She hated bullies.

      "Just leave me alone," She went to move past her. As Clarisse went to shoulder check Ayden she drove her shoulder first knocking Clarisse back. She stumbled and tripped over a rock falling into the dirt. She got up quickly trying to act like that didn't happen.

      "I don't know who you think you are, but you just made a big mistake," Clarisse hissed. Ayden once more smiled. She knew how much it would piss Clarisse off. Ayden thought she was quick to anger, but she was nothing compared to Clarisse.

      "You're here for five minutes and you're already causing trouble," Luke joked. Ayden laughed a little as she watched Clarisse walk away from her. "Finally."

      "What?" Ayden asked looking confused.

      "I've been trying to get you to laugh or smile for minutes now. I feared that it was never going to happen." Luke walked into the cabin.

      "I don't think you were trying very hard," Ayden teased as she walked in. Everyone stared at her.

      "They are all staring because you're new."

      "I also looked like a psycho." Ayden looked up to Luke, but he was already looking at her.

      "Yeah well, there is that too." He moved forward his hand brushing hers on accident. She didn't like it when people touched her. She never has. "Here is your bed." He gestured to a pallet on the ground. Ayden stared at it. "Yeah, I know it's not much."

       "It's better than what I've had," Ayden shrugged. She looked around and then pulled her hair back into a loose bun. It was getting darker outside. A horn blew in the distance.

      "That," Luke held up his finger. "Signals that it's dinner time for us. Tomorrow morning I will show you around and we can start trying to figure out what you are best at."

      "Hiding," Ayden whispered to herself as she played with the initial on her necklace. It was a necklace her mother had in her jewelry box. It was one of the few things Ayden took from her house before she ran.

      "I'll keep that in mind," Luke muttered as he moved for the door. He turned realizing that Ayden didn't follow after him. "You coming?"

      "Uh yeah," Ayden took a deep breath.

      A sudden anxiety had taken over her body. She didn't understand why it had to happen now or why, but her body was slowly going into survival mode. Her pulse was racing and her breathing was quicker than normal. She took another deep breath clenching her hands before moving after Luke. He didn't seem to notice her slight change. He didn't know her well enough to pick up on the small things. No one here knew her. At all.

***

      "Alright, well," Luke stared at the target. She'd hit the outside ring, but not anywhere she was supposed to.

      "You can just say I'm shit," Ayden added as she looked back at him. He had his arms crossed and his head tilted to the side.

      "Well you hit the target, just not where you're supposed to," He came forward taking the bow from her hands.  "Maybe you just aren't meant for the bow."   

       "Or any of this," Ayden breathed as she looked over. Clarisse was laughing with her friends as they mocked her.

      "Hey Ayden!" she called. "Come over here for a bit." Ayden didn't look back at Luke to see if it was okay, she moved forward without a second thought. A smile tugged at her lips. Ayden hated to admit it, but she loved a good fight. It didn't matter with whom. Luke grabbed Ayden's arm making her stop. She still didn't turn to look at him as she yanked her arm from his grasp.

      "Wow, you really are going to get into trouble, alright," He handed her something. She took it in her grasp not breaking eye contact with Clarisse as she felt the cold metal. Ayden could feel the weight in her hands as she moved forward with it. She hasn't trained with a blade before. She hasn't trained with anything.

      "Let's do something fun," Clarisse smirked as she came forward swiping the blade through the air. Ayden moved the sword to block the blow. The vibrations made her arms ache, but she didn't have time to focus on that as Clarisse was already moving on to another attack. She clipped Ayden's foot making her hit the ground. Ayden rolled and stood up again seeing Clarisse looking at her friends laughing.

      Ayden took a deep breath controlling her rage. She's had this hate inside of her. A burning flame that lashed out too many times, she's been trying to learn to control it for years. To use it when needed let it explode at the right moment. It warmed her body and spiked her adrenaline which masked the pain in her body from yesterday. She moved forward their swords hitting as she turned the blade twisting Clarisse's arm until she dropped the sword. She caught it with her other hand slicing it across Ayden's shin making her wince.

      "Clarisse!" Luke warned as the girl stood up.

      "Oh come on Luke, we are just getting to know each other," Clarisse smiled staring at the little tint of red on her blade. Ayden looked from her leg back up to Clarisse as she moved forward. Clarisse chuckled as she blocked the first attack. She was surprised by her persistence. Ayden didn't stop. She threw her foot forward slamming it into Clarisse's gut as she stumbled back coughing.

      "You're right," Ayden turned the sword in her hand. "This is fun." She mocked. Clarisse let out an aggravated groan as the two went after one another again. People were talking around them, but Ayden wasn't listening to them. Her pulse echoed in her head as she stared at Clarisse. She was restraining herself. She didn't want to let loose. She didn't actually want to hurt her, yet at least. She was pissed, sure, but she didn't want to hospitalize her.

       "I've got a question," Clarisse slowly circled her. "What age did your mommy die?" Ayden turned around her sword swinging so hard and so fast that Clarisse didn't have much time to brace herself. Her sword was knocked to the side as Ayden's fist came forward slamming into the side of her head. She stumbled back, but Ayden closed the distance quickly as she hit her in the stomach.

      Clarisse gathered herself letting out an angry yell as she grabbed Ayden's arm flipping her onto her back. Ayden got up fast watching Clarisse touch her cheek. No one was talking anymore. Everyone was silent. "I've finally hit a nerve." She smirked. Ayden stared at her.

       "Don't," Ayden shook her head as she tried to calm herself. She told herself to breathe. In and out.

      "Why," Clarisse mocked. "You think you're going to hurt me."

      "I think I'll kill you." Ayden snapped. Neither of the girls smiled. Clarisse picked up her blade kicking the other toward Ayden's feet.

      "Pick it up," She encouraged. "We aren't done."

      "Yes we are," Ayden muttered as she moved away from them.

      "We aren't done!" Clarisse yelled as she came after Ayden. She reached for her, but Ayden disappeared. "What—." Ayden reappeared behind her grabbing the sword off the ground and kicking the back of her knees.

      Clarisse's legs folded as she knelt on the ground. Ayden's hand yanked her hair to expose her neck as her blade touched Clarisse's skin. She leaned over the older girl as her body stilled.

        "We're done," Ayden whispered. She let the blade touch Clarisse's skin harshly. Ayden wanted to be left alone. She could spar, sure. If that's what she wanted yeah, but the minute she tried to invoke emotions that was it. Ayden promised herself years ago that she would try to do better with her temper. She promised and she was going to keep it calm, but sometimes it was like a different person slipped into her skin and took over.

        "Ayden," Luke warned. Ayden stepped back as she held her hands up. She walked over handing him the sword. "Hey—." He touched her arm, but she moved away from him.

        "Don't." She snapped. The area around her disappeared. She was near the water. Small rocks under her feet as she looked out at a lake. She moved forward kneeling near the water's edge as she ran her hands through the water. "Come on Ayden." She sat back letting her arms rest on her knees as she looked up at the sky. "I know." She closed her eyes.

        Sometimes when Ayden found it especially hard to deal with her feelings she would act like she was speaking with her mother. She never went to her funeral. She didn't even know if she had one. She tried not to think about it.

       "I'm trying my best." She sat there for several minutes trying to get a grip.

       "Didn't know you ran here of all places." A girl spoke. Ayden looked over and saw a familiar girl. She had dark skin and dark hair that was pulled back into a low ponytail.

      "And you are?" Ayden asked.

      "I'm Annabeth." She introduced. She stood a good distance away from Ayden. "You handled yourself well against Clarisse. Although that was stupid." Ayden let out a sigh.

      "She was asking for it," Ayden reasoned. "Sorry, that's not a good excuse."

       "Yeah," Annabeth muttered. Ayden tried to ignore her presence as she looked out at the water. "So what can you do exactly?"

       "Cause trouble," Ayden answered immediately. Annabeth smiled but didn't laugh.

       "I mean with your magic," She corrected.

        "I know," Ayden nodded as she pushed herself up. "I don't know. It's only ever caused me trouble."

         "That was in the mortal world, but here." Annabeth looked around. "Here it's quite useful if you can learn to control it like you did in the fight with Clarisse."

         "I don't want to fight," Ayden shook her head. Annabeth furrowed her brows.

      "I thought you enjoyed fighting, you seem to handle yourself well enough." She looked Ayden up and down. The girl crossed her arms.

      "Yeah, but that doesn't mean I want to fight." Ayden reasoned. Annabeth pulled a blade from her side throwing it at Ayden suddenly. Her eyes widened as the tip stopped centimeters from her head. She had caught the blade.

      "I think you will find you like fighting more than you know," Annabeth breathed.

      "What was that for!?" Ayden dropped her hand to her side gripping the knife. Annabeth was staring above her head. Ayden looked up seeing something glowing. She turned looking up at the outline of a spearhead. "What the hell does that mean?" She pointed the knife at it.

      "You've got to be kidding me!" Clarisse yelled from the distance. Ayden turned seeing the others behind her as they all looked at the thing above her head. Luke came forward standing next to Annabeth. There was a redhead trailing just behind him and a dark-haired guy next to her. Ayden hadn't met them yet.

      "So this is where you went?" He smirked.

      "Well you weren't going to do it," Annabeth added.

      "I'm so confused," Ayden looked at the both of them.

      "You've been claimed, Ayden," Luke added. He gestured to the symbol above her head.

      "Ayden Rivera you have been claimed by Ares. The god of war and courage." Chiron added as he appeared behind the crowd of students. Ayden looked back up at the spear as it disappeared. She thought that maybe being claimed would bring her peace, but she was wrong. The god of war and courage. It made her feel worse than ever before.

      "Clarisse is also a daughter of Ares," Luke whispered as he took the blade from Ayden's hand giving it back to Annabeth. "She's head of the cabin."

      "She's going to try and kill me in my sleep," Ayden breathed as she looked around to look at the group around Clarisse. She had her arms crossed and a pissed expression.

      "Yeah, I would sleep with one eye open," Luke joked. Ayden smacked his arm.

      "That is not helpful." Ayden rolled her eyes.

      "Come on," Luke hit her shoulder laughing. "It's mealtime." Ayden moved after him with Annabeth at her side.

      "You can train with me if you want," Annabeth offered. "I can teach you strategy."

      "That's a very kind offer, but I don't know. I don't want to end up pissed at you. That wouldn't be good for a friendship," Ayden reasoned. Annabeth stared at her.

      "Who said we were going to be friends?" She asked. Ayden pursed her lips.

      "She's joking," Luke muttered. Ayden nodded as she squinted.

      "Are you sure? Cause I don't think she is," Ayden whispered to him. He laughed and pushed her up the hill as they sat together. Annabeth sat next to Ayden as they ate together. A bell rang and they all moved to burn the food as they prayed to the gods and goddesses. Ayden thought it was bullshit, but didn't say anything because she was the new demigod. She did as asked and went back to their table to finish the little bit of bread she had left.

      Luke and Annabeth walked her to Cabin 5 where she would be staying from here on out as another daughter of Ares. There were only four beds other than Aydens. There weren't many children by Ares. Ayden thought it was funny and said a lot about his character. She knew by the way her mom spoke and what she's read about the god of war, he wasn't a warm person. Nor charming to be around. He was an asshole.

      "Good luck," Luke smiled as he and Annabeth left quickly as Clarisse came in. Her friends were behind her. Well her family. Ayden just now realized this made them family. Half siblings because they shared the same god as a father.

      "Don't think this makes me hate you any less," Clarisse snapped as she crossed the room. "After what you did today, I will make sure your life is a living hell here."

      "Wouldn't want it any other way." Ayden smiled. Clarisse scoffed and walked to the other side of the room where the others stayed as they spoke quickly to one another. Ayden sat down on the bed touching her mother's necklace. Her mother had always said to hide her fear. So she became a master at hiding her emotions, at hiding her fear. She wouldn't let anyone see her afraid if they were going to take advantage of it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 194 52
Daphne Evans, a thirteen year old girl. On the outside, she's just an ordinary girl but in reality that's not true. At the age of nine, she watched h...
14.4K 286 45
✩₊˚.⋆𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 ☾⋆⁺₊✧ The Son of Poseidon falls for the Daughter of Persephone, she has closed herself off after feeling like everyone around he...
69.6K 1.8K 24
In a word of Gods and the Olympians. A girl named L/N Y/N is born. Y/N isn't what she seems to be. If someone don't know her personally, they would...
10.9K 231 17
This is not your normal Chaos story. No one gets betrayed and runs away. No one gets killed. But there is one person who gets kidnapped. One person w...