let it fly | cato hadley

By seungielovebot

"I should be heading to bed," Cato said as he gets up from his spot before turning back once more. "Thank you... More

00 | Characters
- ACT I -
01 | Celeste
02 | The Rooftop
03 | Mentors
04 | Me & the Devil
05 | Cato
06 | Careless
07 | Limbo
08 | The Last Night
09 | Let the Games Begin
10 | The Aftermath
11 | Welcome to District Four
12 | The Beach
13 | Uninvited Guest
- ACT II -
14 | Katniss
15 | History Repeats Itself
16 | Deja Vu
17 | Tension
18 | The Deal
19 | Butterflies
20 | Game Time
21 | It's a Bloodbath
22 | Fog
23 | Blood Rain
24 | Run
25 | Tick Tock
26 | Reunion
27 | The Real Enemy
- ACT III -
28 | District 13
29 | First Broadcast
30 | Be the Mockingjay
31 | Her War
33 | Message for President Snow
34 | What Happened to Celeste?
35 | The Hanging Tree
36 | Rescue Mission
37 | Propaganda
38 | The Visser Siblings
39 | Back Home
40 | All Downhill From Here
41 | Squad 451
42 | Underground
43 | The Lizards
44 | War is Over
- EPILOGUE -

32 | District 8

1K 37 14
By seungielovebot

A few days later, Cato found himself alone in Beetee's training lab taking his frustration out on one of the dummies when he heard a slam coming from the entrance, revealing an aggravated Katniss.

"We're going to District 8," Katniss announced as she approached Cato. The older boy quickly paused his one-sided fight, turning toward Katniss with a confused look. 

"Permanently? What's happened to 13?" Cato asked, mouth open from shock.

"No, not permanently," Katniss answered with a dumbfounded stare, "For the Mockingjay campaign."

"The Mockingjay campaign? That's got nothing to do with me," Cato replied, turning his attention back toward the dummy, only to be stopped by Katniss's hand.

"You want Celeste back, don't you?" Katniss asked with a stern look. Cato only nodded.

"Then you'd do best to get on Coin's good side. Be her muscle like she wants," Katniss mumbled, keeping her grip on Cato as he bit his cheek.

"Fine."

"Good. Go meet Boggs, we're leaving in an hour," Katniss replied, finally releasing Cato as she walked out.

-

Cato found himself waiting outside a hovercraft for Katniss's arrival an hour later. Once Katniss appeared, the group was escorted on without a word.

Cato stayed silent most of the ride, grimacing slightly as the group discussed Peacekeepers and District 2.  Now and then, he could feel as the group glanced at him, checking for any signs of lingering loyalty toward the Capitol.

"I'm not a spy for the Capitol, I can assure you that," Cato mumbled as the group looked at him once more. From the corner of his eye, he could see Plutarch's demeanor shift.

"We weren't implying that," spoke Gale, causing Cato to roll his eyes.

"Yeah right. Every time you mention District 2 and it's loyalty to the Capitol, you look at me. You don't trust me because of where I'm from," Cato spat back, turning his entire attention toward the group.

"It's not that, Cato. It's just that District 2 is the most loyal district. We're just being cautious," Plutarch chimed in.

"Whatever," Cato replied, "It's not like I chose this anyway."

After that, the group went back to quietly discussing as Cato tuned them out.

-

"I don't think you're a spy for the Capitol," Katniss whispered to Cato as the group walked off the hovercraft, hanging back to be the last people off. Cato watched Katniss from the corner of his eye. 

"And why's that?" Cato shot back, slightly intrigued, but mainly irritated.

"You're a victor," Katniss replied, "You know what it's like to have the Capitol take everything from you."

Cato's head immediately turned toward Katniss, surprised at her comment.

"There are plenty of loyal victors," Cato answered, remembering the victors from Two like Brutus. 

"Yeah, but none of them react the way you do when it comes to the Capitol," Katniss replied, "I saw the look on your face when you saw Celeste on that screen. You don't trust the Capitol. You hate it."

"And why is it you think you know me so well?"

"Because you're like me," Katniss answered, "You're angry and you can't hide it from anyone. You only care about one thing -- the people you love and you're willing to do anything to get them back, even if it means starting another war."

"I-" Cato began to say, but the words never left his mouth. He knew Katniss was right. Celeste may have been like Peeta, but Cato was like Katniss. The fire that burns their favorite flowers.

"The others may not think so. But I know where your loyalties lie,"  Katniss finished, leaving a conflicted Cato behind as she walked ahead.

-

Cato's eyes widened in shock as the group entered District 8. It had only been a few years since Cato had been here. Years since his victory tour. But the ruined factories made it seem like decades had passed.

"What happened here?" Cato asked as he walked around, lacing at all the rubble and ruined buildings.

"A Capitol attack. It may have been minor to them, but the district took heavy hits," explained Boggs, "We'll be visiting the Districts hospital. Give them hope."

"Minor? Everything's destroyed," Cato whispered, unable to get over the destruction.

"You'll soon learn that what's vital to us in the Districts means nothing to those in the Capitol," said Boggs, before leading the group toward the hospital.

The only thing worse than the sight of the rubble is the hospital. As Cato looked around, he noticed the way the wounded were hurriedly being rushed inside in things such as wheel barrels or thrown over other's shoulders -- bloody and unconscious. 

And once again, Cato is brought back to the arena, and the countless children he had to kill to be here. Could it be possible that their families are here in this hospital? Or are they dead just like the people he murdered?

"I can't film here," Katniss mumbled to Cato and Boggs, halting as she stared at the crowd, "I can't help."

"Just let them see you," said Boggs, ushering them forward, "You'll do more for them than any doctor could."

Just then, another woman who had been directing people toward the main room caught sight of them, and immediately walked over.

"Cato, Katniss, this is Commander Paylor of District 8. Commander, this is Soldier Katniss and Soldier Cato," Boggs introduced as the woman made her way in front of them. Cato politely nodded his head before taking a step back. Katniss was the Mockingjay. He was sure no one here was here for him.

"I know who they are," Paylor responded before drawing her attention toward Katniss, "We weren't sure you were alive."

"I'm not quite so sure I am," Katniss replied quietly as Paylor examined her face.

"Bad concussion," Boggs cut in.

"Well we've got plenty of that here," Paylor responded as she began escorting the crew through the hospital. 

As the group walked, Cato fought the urge to throw up as he looked at all the dead bodies on the sides.

"Is it a good idea to assemble all your wounded in the same spot?" Gale asked as the group made their way to the main room, but Paylor immediately shut him down.

"I think it's slightly better than leaving them to die," Paylor responded.

"That's not what a meant," Gale explained, but Paylor once again cut him off.

"There's nowhere else for them to go. This is all we have," said Paylor, gesturing toward the big room full of wounded citizens, some on the brink of death.

"Do not leave my side," Katniss mumbled to Catro, grabbing onto his elbow. Cato turned toward the younger girl with a shocked expression, but he let her hand rest there nonetheless.

"I won't."

As Cato examined the group, he saw people of every age spread around, clutching their wounds or crying in pain and he was reminded of Boggs's words. 

'You'll soon learn that what's vital to us in the Districts means nothing to those in the Capitol.'

How could the Capitol do this and call it minor? he thought. When all these people are either dead or almost dead.

"I can't do this," Katniss mumbled again, attempting to turn around, but Cato stopped her.

"I'm right here with you," Cato replied, giving the younger girl a nod. Katniss's nostrils flared as she looked around before nodding and walking in further.

Immediately, the attention of the crowd turned to them.

"Katniss?" a voice croaked out. Katniss, unable to focus with all the attention on her, reached out to the voice. 

"Katniss," the voice said again, revealing a young girl with bloody bandages wrapped all around her leg. The girl looked to be no older than 15 and yet, she looked as if she carried the burden of 100 men.

"Is it really you?" the girl cried out, face contorting into a look of desperation. At this, the crowd began to inch closer.

"It's me," Katniss breathed out as she looked at the young girl. 

"You're alive!" the girl exclaimed, "I've got to tell my brother. Eddie! Eddie! it's Katniss!"

Shortly after her yells, a young boy, no older than 12 appeared with a bandage wrapped around his head to cover his eye.

"Oh my. It really is her. You're Katniss Everdeen," the boy cried out, gesturing for her to walk through the crowd. As the group began to inch closer, Cato felt a tug on his hand, revealing a little girl. 

The girl stayed quiet as she led Cato toward a mat on the floor, gesturing for him to sit. Awkwardly, Cato took a seat, glancing around to see if any of the other District 13 rebels were watching. They weren't. Not when everyone was so focused on Katniss. And yet, this little girl chose Cato.

With a small smile, the young girl sat down in his lap, shocking Cato even further. Nonetheless, he held onto the girl.

"Are you hurt?" Cato asked the young girl, looking for any sign of injury. The young girl just shook her head.

"That's good. I'm glad," said Cato with a lopsided smile, "What's your name?"

"Intarsia," whispered the little girl.

"Intarsia? I like that name," Cato complimented, "How old are you, Intarsia?"

Intarsia doesn't respond again, instead, she holds up seven fingers.

"Seven? Well, that's a very brave age to be," Cato replied, "And what do you want to do when you grow up?"

"I want to fall in love. Like you," Intarsia whispered and Cato felt a wave of shock rush through him. So that's why she wanted to talk to him? Cato assumed Intarsia knew who he was and what he'd done. And yet, she'd recognized him by his love for Celeste.

"I'm sure you will," Cato whispered back with a faint smile, "What else do you like? Do you like sewing?"

Intarsia nodded with a bright smile, "Maybe I could make you something one day."

"I'd like that."

"Cato, it's time to head out," called Boggs, drawing Cato's attention away from the girl. With a frown, Cato helped Intarsia up before standing himself.

"Take care of yourself, Intarsia," said Cato with a small smile. Intarsia beamed at his words, giving him a small hug before pulling away.

"Maybe we can meet again," whispered Cato before he walked away.

-

"I saw you with that little girl," whispered Boggs, "You did good."

"I wasn't trying to do anything," said Cato as the group found a place to rest.

"Even better," chimed Cressida, the director, "I think we got some good shots of the both of you."

Cato ignored the girl, instead, focusing on the rubble as the group continued to talk. That was until he felt a tap on his shoulder. Gale.

"There's a problem. We have to get out of here, now," mumbled Gale, holding out a hand for Cato to grab. Quickly, Cato obliged, letting Gale help him up as they began to head toward a shelter.

"What's going on?" Cato asked as the group hurried.

"Incoming bombers," said Boggs as he rushed the groups inside.

And then, Cato felt himself thrown onto the ground.

-

A/N: Hi guys!! Finally, some action coming up !! I honestly love developing Cato and Katniss's friendship,,, it's such an important relationship <3

ANyways, I hope you guys have a good week !! 

Love you,

Hannah <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

185K 3.8K 22
There was no volunteer to save Eve when she was plucked from her life in District Four and sent to The Hunger Games. There was no one to lean on when...
14.8K 386 28
The Hunger Games | Finnick Odair ----------- ❝Don't leave me, please don't leave me. Don't leave me alone.❞ ❝I won't leave you Finnick,❞ She kissed...
45.1K 1.1K 22
❖ Book 2 of 3 ❖ 【 Slow burn fanfic 】 ║ Catching Fire Reimagined║ It's the year of the 75th Annual Hunger Games. Isla Dunne, victor of the 73rd Hunger...
197K 5.8K 21
REVENGE. when everything is ripped from her, a young victor makes it her mission to eliminate the one who tore her apart. CATCHING FIRE