Cursed Times - Only Yesterday...

By lhansenauthor

By accident rather than design, Trueth - one of the last European witches - finds herself in an ancient Egypt... More

Prologue - No Day Without Demons
Chapter 1 - Trueth: Lifelines
Chapter 2 - Metjen: Secrets of the Temple
Chapter 3 - Seisi: Swimming Lessons
Chapter 4 - Trueth: Scorpions
Chapter 5 - Trueth: Dinnertime
Chapter 6 - Seisi: Home on the Farm
Chapter 7 - Metjen: Dripping
Chapter 8 - Trueth: What Friends Are For
Chapter 9 - Trueth: Scheming
Chapter 11 - Metjen: Outclassed By Far
What a Wonderful World! End of Act 1
Chapter 12: Trueth - Council of War Part 1
Chapter 13: Trueth - Council of War Part 2
Chapter 14: Trueth - A Wake
Chapter 15: Trueth - Comeback Part 1
Chapter 16: Trueth - Comeback Part 2
Chapter 17: Metjen - Cracking Up
Chapter 18: Seisi - In Vino Gravitas Part 1
Chapter 19: Seisi - In Vino Gravitas Part 2
Chapter 20: Trueth- At The Crossroads Part 1
Chapter 21: Trueth - At the Crossroads Part 2
Chapter 22: Metjen - Déjà Vu
Chapter 23: Trueth - Through the Sands Part 1
Chapter 24: Trueth - Through the Sands Part 2
Chapter 25: Trueth From the Dark Side with Love
Chapter 26: Seisi - Too Many Camels
Chapter 27 - Seisi: Tomb Raiders
Chapter 28: Metjen - Night at the Museum Part 1
Chapter 29: Metjen - Night at the Museum Part 2
Chapter 30: Trueth - Bird's View
Chapter 31: Trueth - Welcome Home!
Chapter 32: Trueth - Avebury Reloaded
Chapter 33: Trueth - Witching Hour Part 1
Chapter 34: Trueth - Witching Hour - Part 2
Chapter 35: Seisi - Pyjama Party
Chapter 36: Trueth - Closed Shop
Chapter 37: Trueth - Woodbound
Chapter 38: Trueth - Autumnworld 1
Chapter 39: Trueth - Autumnworld 2
Chapter 40: Trueth - Autumnworld 3
Chapter 41: Trueth - Emergency Exit
Chapter 42: Trueth - Onwards and Upwards
Chapter 43: Trueth - A Leap of Faith Part 1
Chapter 44: Trueth - A Leap of Faith Part 2
Chapter 45: End of Act 2
Chapter 46: Seisi - Through the Wringer
Chapter 47: Seisi - Mirrors
Chapter 48: Metjen - A Beautiful Mind
Chapter 49: Trueth- Hang on Stupid!
Chapter 50: Trueth- Mamma Mia Part 1
Chapter 51: Trueth -Mamma Mia Part 2
Chapter 52 : Seisi - Spice up your Life
Chapter 53: Trueth - Here we go Again!
Chapter 54: Trueth - Dungeons and Demons Part 1
Chapter 55: Trueth - Dungeons and Demons Part 2
Chapter 56: Metjen - Haunted Halls Part 1
Chapter 57: Metjen - Haunted Halls Part 2
Chapter 58: Trueth - How many Steps from Hell?
Chapter 59: Trueth - Guardienne of the Gateway
Chapter 60: Seisi - The End of All Times Part 1
Chapter 61: Seisi - The End of All Times Part 2
Chapter 62: Trueth - Blessed Part 1
Chapter 63: Trueth - Blessed Part 2
Chapter 65: Trueth - Brave Old World Part 2
THANK YOU!
Bonus Chapter - 'Runt of the Litter'
Cursary - Characters, Mythology and Historical Facts
Author's Note - skip if you must

Chapter 10 - Seisi: Courting

1.2K 170 128
By lhansenauthor

Persistent gonging sounded through the haze in Seisi's mind.

Had he missed the morning lectures in the temple school? The result of his lapse would be painful, the lector priest tended to pull him up from his mat by his ear and make him stand in the heat for hours. Seisi ran his tongue over his teeth. It felt as if he had already been out in that sun-baked enclosure, his throat was parched, and the taste in his mouth was reminiscent of a demon's urinal. Trying to rid himself of the cobwebs of his dreams he rolled over—and fell out of a bed that was not his. At least this time he had not ended up in the Nile.

Had he lain with a woman? It was possible, yet he cared only for one and she would not let him into a heart that Metjen was still occupying. At least his noble friend did not share her nights as well, so there was hope still. Seisi sat up and checked—no woman, but this was not the cot in his temple cell either. Movement made his head swim, his stomach roil and finally he made the connection. He was an invited guest in the home of the Suka nobles and had shared a few cups of good wine with his friend the previous night. Far too many cups, to judge by his thirst and the taste in his mouth. How he wished Trueth had not left, not only because he adored her, but he would also have drunk a lot less.

The gong from his dreams sounded again, echoing through the corridors, halls and chambers of the palace.

'What the fuck is going on?' Seisi heard Metjen's voice on the balcony that connected the many chambers of his palace apartment. He spoke in a volume that pained Seisi's head, but also brought back the memories of last night. 

Arms over each other's shoulders, they had staggered up the staircase, singing the holy songs in praise of Shesmu, the underworld deity associated with fermented grapes. Nobody had taken offence at their pious exploits, noisy as they had been, given that the balcony faced only gardens at the back of the noble mansion.

'Seisi?'

Metjen's shadow appeared in front of the crimson curtain that covered the opening to the balcony. The colour hurt Seisi's mind like a bruise; Metjen's head could only be made of granite, even if his heart was not. He had shared many of his woes last night, his concerns about his life at the temple and as a member of Imhotep's family. A happy man his friend was not.

'Give me a few moments. I have to ready myself.'Seisi stumbled into the bathing stall, where fresh clothing and soft leather sandals awaited him. As did scented water, a tooth stick and cleaning powders.

I must not get used to such luxuries, Seisi thought.Of course, he had been much fraught recently, risking his life on Imhotep's secret errands, so maybe he was owed some respite.

The gonging had stopped.

Seisi proceeded outside, rubbing his hands to rid himself of the sandalwood oil he had used on his body. Metjen was nowhere in sight, but he could hear voices drifting up from the staircase at the far end of the balcony. Seisi rushed along and thumped down the stairs into a courtyard filled with his friends from the demon world, as well as a group of Suka nobles all milling around the Lord Imhotep air-seated in their midst. The professor was facing the Suka overlord with a flush in his face.

'There you are.' Metjen had sought shade under a group of sycamores in the far corner together with Rani-Ra and Ranofer. 'What took you so long?'

'He probably didn't want to turn up buck naked.' Ranofer grinned at Seisi. 'Doesn't go down well with the ladies.'

'You have no idea given that you're no lady,' Rani-Ra said.

Metjen boxed his brother on the arm, then turned to Seisi. 'Pharaoh requests our presence; Imhotep wants us to go visit the king at court to redeem this noble house, and father is not happy. Nor is mother.'

Seisi raised his hands. 'You can hardly ignore his majesty's summons. It would not be wise.'

'I don't know where the problem is. Father keeps insisting that Pharaoh's harmless. Not just because he's only a fourteen-year-old boy. Something to do with the political system.' Metjen's voice had got louder; he had to compete with the emphatic exchange of opinions between Imhotep's clan and Seisi's friends from the demon world. It did not help that the professor and his wife did not agree among themselves either.

'Pray elucidate.' Seisi tried to protect an ear that was too close to the din.

'Well, it's easy.' Rani-Ra intercepted before her brother could open his mouth.'Based on all that bumf archaeologists have been digging up for ages, everybody thought Pharaoh had absolute power and was running the state religion. Stop shaking your head, Seisi, let me finish. We've sussed out that this doesn't quite apply here. I just learned it at temple school.'

Rani-Ra pursed her lips and mimicked the droning tone only an ordained lecturer would employ. 'Spiritual and worldly powers keep each other in check.'She giggled. 'Good for them. I still have the distinct impression that Pharaoh might be a powerful little bloke. So does mother. What Imhotep thinks, I don't know. I wouldn't mind meeting the king. I mean, who wouldn't?'

'Our parents, it appears,' Ranofer said. 'And somebody certainly rattled Imhotep's cage, he's pretty pissed off.'

'Rubbish,' Rani-Ra said. 'Imhotep doesn't do emotions. He probably examined the possibilities and didn't like what he saw. Still, must be safe. Otherwise, he would not let us go.'

'Like he didn't let Amasis go, right?' Metjen snorted.

They were still missing the point, Seisi thought. 'His age notwithstanding, his Majesty will be displeased with your parent if he does not pay heed to his wishes. Methinks, this is not advisable either, given the circumstances. Has the Lord Imhotep chosen to share his visions?'

'He has not.' Metjen kicked a stone aside. 'I can't see anything as usual, as it affects my nearest and dearest. Let me find out what is going on.'

He strolled across and joined in the verbal hostilities raging in the courtyard.The increase in volume caused Seisi's head to throb more. How he wished the gong had not sounded, and he could have stayed in bed a bit longer. He was a commoner; those were not wanted at court. As he was also a priest, his presence would be even less welcome, given that it had been the holy circle who had convinced the old Pharaoh he should remain behind to protect the portal. Pharaoh had failed, died in the demon world a long time ago and his son was displeased with a turn of events that cost him his father and got him the throne prematurely. Seisi could not blame the boy.

A servant approached, carrying warm milk and date cakes Seisi gratefully partook of.

It appeared a decision had been taken, as the shouting ceased. 

'All right, so we all go, be nice to Pharaoh and go away again.' Metjen returned, flushed by the debate.

'You will have to remain with me.' Imhotep was still seated in the air but had moved around to face his multiple great-grandson. 'Pharaoh does not require your presence.'

'Why?' Metjen asked.

For a moment only, Metjen's ancestor appeared concerned. 'Pharaoh doesn't approve of high-ranking priests.'

Silence.

Seisi felt a halo of heat bursting from his friend, followed by a golden ray that thundered into the wall around the courtyard causing it to disintegrate under the impact. More silence accompanied the rising ochre clouds of mud-brick dust. 

'I've had enough of this shit! First I'm too young, then too powerful, now it's a wrong rank. Or all of it together. Whatever. A whole bloody world full of magic and I-still-don't-fit.' Sparks were sizzling from Metjen's eyes, as miniature lightening tracked veins under his skin.

His siblings were retreating, a move Seisi considered to be very wise—until they backed into the debris.

'Dear...,' Metjen's mother rushed across and put a hand on her son's arm—and an arc of searing white crackled between then. 

Metjen's mother jumped backwards; her son whisked around and shot up the stairs in a flutter of robes, leaving behind the metallic odour of magic. Energy was still bursting from him in waves, flinging a descending Trueth into the wall. Metjen reached the top of the stairs, this time he barrelled over the two cats placed like bookends on both sides. Blondie howled, Mish-Mish scrambled back onto his orange paws, bunched his haunches and dashed after his master, feathery tail fluttering behind. 

'What's bugging His Nuisance now?' Trueth stared after Metjen, then climbed down the remaining treads, one hand bunched the fabric of her embroidered tangerine skirt, lifting it from her feet.

Seisi enjoyed perceiving her ankles.

'Pharaoh wants to meet us, but not Metjen, he's allergic to priests,' Rani-Ra said.

'For once I tend to agree with my esteemed adoptive brother. Under-age oriental potentates are not my cup of—eh—hot beverage either.' Trueth tried to smoothen her rumpled skirt. 'Have fun.'

'You're coming as well, I'm afraid,' Metjen's mother said. Her face appeared drawn and a lot less lively than usual.

Her husband was massaging his forehead. His friendly face was drooping, whether his mien was a result of the argument or embarrassment over the outburst of his eldest son, Seisi knew not.

Imhotep and the other members of his noble house had remained silent all throughout the exchange though some of them had started whispering behind their hands.

'And he wants you as well, Seisi,' the professor said. Seisi dropped his cake.'Sorry, but you're the only one of his people who's been in the demon world. Apart from Iseret, but she's dead.'

The professor waved at the servant who passed Seisi another sweetmeat, yet his appetite had waned.

'Pharaoh's palace is a pit of vipers.' Seisi felt the attention of the Lord Imhotep tapping at his mind, and he opened his consciousness.

It is good that the boy king asked for you. Be my eyes in the palace. I do not like this, yet they must go if we are to have a chance with this new king. The master of ancient knowledge is well-read, yet I fear he is not well-versed in the ways of our people.

Yes, the master of ancient learning beholds problems where there are none and misses the real danger, Seisi thought.

This is the truth.

Seisi ventured a question. What about the Lord Metjen?

I will need to talk to him, he is losing control, and that can endanger us all. Imhotep withdrew.

The next hours passed in a tumultuous blur which aggravated Seisi's headache to the point where he found it hard to climb aboard the ship that would take them towards Ineb. 

Trueth noticed his plight, put her hands on his forehead and shared her power. He felt like drinking more in future, just to make her touch him again; though he could have done without the lecture on alcohol consumption it cost him. 

It was not that he did not know this. His life was fraught with so much peril and concern, he had to embrace enjoyment whenever he found it. Wherever he found it. Some enjoyment, even if it was right in front of his face, was unfortunately not his to embrace.

As the barge floated majestically through the labyrinth of Nile canals, Seisi lay in the shady cabin, wishing he could be rid of the invisible hand that squeezed his heart whenever he saw Trueth. 

He pushed himself up on his elbows and beheld his love sitting amid her family, in a stately robe of creamy linen—wrinkled at the back and with a greasy stain on her arm. Her only ornament was a collar and earrings made of golden and blue lotus flowers, a match for her eyes and contrast to the fiery cascades of her hair. And how he adored those freckles adorning her face and arms. 

He dropped back on his silken mattress with a moan. She was so close—and yet so far removed from him, he might as well be one of the peasants out there, bowing as the ship sailed past... .

'Seisi, wake up, we're there.' A silhouette bent over him, illuminated from behind by the bright glare of the midday sun. The person he beheld was not one he had been dreaming of. Instead his friend Rani-Ra twirled away in a flutter of low-cut rose pink robes and a whiff of flowery perfume.She should not be exposing herself like that, not at court.

Seisi shook and dragged himself from his resting place, wondering whether he was doomed to spend the remainder of his life either in a stupor of exhaustion or buzzing about like a mosquito in a mating frenzy. No time to ponder any further, the ship's crew was already lowering the gangway.

'I'm so excited!' Bouncing on the tip of her silver sandals, Metjen's sister pointed at the gilded gate of the side entrance to the palace they were approaching. 'Wow! Pharaoh's palace, just like in one of these silly romance novels! And I'm going in.'

The opening was set in an enclosure so high, only the top of palm trees peeped out, their fronds brushing across the red and white faïence tiles covering the wall. They matched the banners flying from ebony flagpoles, representing the two lands under Pharaoh's reign: Red for Lower Kemet, Seisi's home; White for Upper Kemet, the scorching lands he had visited only once before. 

 They also matched the bands across the chests of two massive Medjay soldiers who barred the entrance with their spears.

Rani-Ra beamed one of her radiant smiles at the men and pointed a thumb over her shoulder back at the ship. 'Greetings from Imhotep, we're all Suka nobles. Not Seisi here of course, but he's our friend. Can we enter?'

The soldier on the left recognised the professor, nodded and withdrew his oversized skewer. His colleague followed suit.

'See, it works.' Rani-Ra dashed inside.

'Quick, the last time she did something like that, she got stuck behind a magical wall. ' Trueth grabbed her skirt and hurried after Metjen's sister.

'You do not need to worry. Pharaoh holds only worldly power. There is very little magic here.' Seisi nearly ran into the professor who had stopped and secured his protesting daughter.

'I don't find this reassuring, dear.' Metjen's mother was taking in the environment. 'What's this place anyway? I was expecting the chappie to sit on his throne. That's the least he can do for us.'

'We're honoured. He's receiving us in his private apartments. This is his training ground. And the usual vultures are already gathered.'The professor pointed at the circle of sand they had entered through a triple row of gaudy colonnades.

Men and women in equally colourful robes were weaving in and out from among the pillars, cloying clouds of perfume wafting around them. On the pitch, a skinny adolescent clad only in a short kilt with a leather belt was wrestling with a muscular man almost twice his size. By his copper bracelets, Seisi recognised the colossus to be a captain of the Medjay. The smell of over-scented sweating bodies mingled with the incense wafting from braziers among the pillars, making him gag.

'Is that puny kid the one running the whole show?' Ranofer asked.

'You do not call his majesty a kid. ' By now, Seisi was very worried. His friends were very outspoken in a place where tongues could be daggers and silence was a virtue. Their quest could not end well.

'You must be kidding,' Trueth said.

'The poor lad is rather young for such a responsibility.' Metjen's mother had examined the environment and from the expression on her face it was not to her liking.

'The king's mother stands behind him.' The professor was scanning the crowds. 'She isn't here today, not a bad thing. We can't stand each other. She's jealous.' He harrumphed; the Medjay guard threw him a sharp glance and the boy king did some complicated foot moves and threw his opponent to the ground.

Seisi thought his brothers should be here, they would appreciate the warrior prowess of their little king. He had never engaged in such exploits, had preferred reading to unnecessary fighting in the streets. It was, of course, ironic that his duties now forced him to physical exertion when all he had wanted to do was study the holy scripts and use his sun-flow to do good for his people.

Applause and cheers erupted from the restless courtiers.

The professor put two fingers into his mouth and whistled shrilly. 

The king's face lit up, and he rushed towards them. 'Lord Hanis. We are so glad to finally meet your family.' 

The professor executed a perfect bow, as did the others. Seisi once more was glad for his profession. Otherwise, he would have had to prostrate himself on a gritty sandstone floor his mother would not have tolerated in their home.

'Rise.' Pharaoh beamed all over his pimply cheeks. 'Come with us, there is so much we want to know. And we are delighted to behold your beautiful daughters. The ladies our esteemed parent has suggested as royal wives are completely unsuitable!'

If you liked this story, please leave me a vote or a comment. Or both XD. Wattpad writers write for feedback. We thrive on it! Thank you so much.  

===

This chapter is dedicated to anasimons who has written a wonderful love story (Romance is simply not the right word for it) 'The Iceberg Theory'. It is everything so many romance novels on Wattpad are not. Intelligent, engaging and unusual. Thank you for being there! 

Image is taken from DeviantArt copyright HerbertRocha

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 375 39
It is said that the universe has a way of leading you where you are supposed to be, at the time you are supposed to be there. ...
3 1 5
This marks the real beginning of a long journey, of pain, suffering, and losses. As ordinary as a journey may start, no one is capable of guessing wh...
884 310 15
** The horror slumbers buried under many meters of rubble and desert sand. Nameless cartouches, desecrated relics, and a sarcophagus containing an an...
656 75 54
Covid-25. Engineered death. If the mutant virus is released as much as half the world's population may perish. All in the name of greed. __________...