Pascale Auber & the Ruritania...

By CarolinaC

When Pascale Auber is forced out of the airship of the evil Dr. Simpelstur, she finds herself rescued by a ha... More

Miss Auber's Note
I The Airship - 1
II The Airship - 2
III Falling
IV The Ruritanian - 1
V The Ruritanian - 2
VI The Ruritanian - 3
VII The Ruritanian - 4
VIII The Department - 1
IX The Department - 2
X The Department - 3
XI The Letter
XII The House of Elphberg - 1
XIII The House of Elphberg - 2
XIV The House of Elphberg - 3
XV Wardrobe - 1
XVI Wardrobe - 2
XVII The WPA - 1
XVIII The WPA - 2
XIX Delmonte's - 1
XX Delmonte's - 2
XXI Delmonte's - 3
XXII Delmonte's - 4
XXIII Delmonte's - 5
XXIV Evening
XXV My Brother
XXVI Morning
XXVII News
XXVIII Back at the Department - 1
XXIX Back at the Department - 2
XXX Back at the Department - 3
XXXI The Baratarian Embassy - 1
XXXII The Baratarian Embassy - 2
XXXIII - The Sanctity of the Press
XXXIV Luncheon
XXXV Inquiries
XXXVI Graphite
XXXVII Explosions and Roses
XXXVIII Invitation
XXXIX At The Theatre - 1
XL At the Theatre - 2
XLI At the Theatre - 3
XLII At the Theatre - 4
XLIII At the Theatre - 5
XLIV My Other Brother - 1
XLV My Other Brother - 2
XLVI Family
XLVII The Dressing-Room Review
XLVIII Wherein I am Quoted - 1
XLIX Wherein I am Quoted - 2
L (Almost) Called on the Carpet
LI Chocolate - 1
LII Chocolate - 2
LIII Another Luncheon
LIV The University - 1
LV The University - 2
LVI St. Lawrence Hall - 1
LVII St. Lawrence Hall - 2
LVIII Afternoon
LIX Confusion
LX Morning Again
LXI Villainy
LXII Office - 1
LXIII Office - 2
LXIV Shocking Behaviour
LXV Further Shocks - 1
LXVII The Truth - 1
LXVIII The Truth - 2
LXIX the Truth - 3
LXX The Truth - 4
LXXI A Shocking Revelation - 1
LXXII A Shocking Revelation - 2
LXXIII A Bird
LXXIV Escape - 1
LXXV Rescue - 1
LXXVI Escape - 2
LXXVII Escape - 3
LXXVIII Rescue - 2
LXXIX First Names - 1
LXXX First Names - 2
Author's note: Regarding Ruritania, or why this isn't, technically, fanfiction
Cast
Alternate Cover Gallery

LXVI Further Shocks - 2

35 1 0
By CarolinaC

Miss Silverstar stared, her eyes wide and cheeks pale, as Simpelstur triumphantly twirled his oily moustache.

"Ah. If it is not my niece's noble Ruritanian companion," he said, "And who is this behind you?"

My heart was immediately in my throat. Theo von Hentzau shifted slightly, as if to further block me from Simpelstur's field of vision. I could feel the ragged way my breath inflated my chest, hitching like I was a child who might burst into tears at any moment. Hentzau, though, was like a rock, naturally strong and immobile, and I was grateful for the reassuring strength of his wool-clad arm and shoulders, forming a physical and visual barrier between me and Simpelstur.

Unfortunately, the barrier created by Hentzau's arm was not impenetrable. Simpelstur's eyebrows shot up in recognition. I felt a rush of nausea, hot and unsettling, unfamiliar in the cold rain.

"Miss Auber." Simpelstur smiled. "We meet again. You look none the worse for wear. In fact," he looked Mr. von Hentzau up and down, "you rather seem to have improved your situation. Are you considering taking a position with the Ruritanian embassy? Perhaps under this young gentleman?"

I could feel my cheeks colour, and Miss Silverstar raised a hand to cover her mouth. Despite the discomfirture of our previous meetings, she looked more shocked than amused. "Uncle, please," she murmured.

In the meantime, Hentzau had straightened, angrily, his hand wandering to his hip – he was not carrying a sword, but a small pulse-gun is a easily concealed.

 "That is no way to speak to a lady," Hentzau said. "Speaking of which," he bowed, "Miss Silverstar; an honour, as always."

Cartimandua Silverstar dipped her head, nervously gazing in Simpelstur's direction. "Uncle, I must – I must go in and get ready," she said, looking back and forth among him and me and Hentzau.

Simpelstur raised an eyebrow. "Of course, my dear. I can deal with these two in your absence."

The blonde woman scuttled towards the door.

"Miss Silverstar!" I called to her over Theo's shoulder, "my brother -"

Cartimandua Silverstar shook her head, but said nothing. The green door opened for her as if by magic, and she was gone.

"Ah yes," Simpelstur said, smiling broadly, "Your brother. Dr. Blaise Auber, is that right?" He took a step towards us. "He will not be reporting in to either of his two workplaces, today."

I pushed Hentzau's arm out of the way, my fear for Blaise more powerful than my fear for myself.

"What have you done to him?" I demanded.

Hentzau grabbed my arm just above the elbow, pulling me back. "Don't be a fool," he breathed into my ear.

Simpelstur laughed. "My, my, wouldn't you like to know?" 

He pulled his pocket watch out of his pocket, stroking his moustache as he observed his own reflection in the watch glass. "Meet me after my niece's show, this evening, and you will very rapidly find out. Bring your Ruritanian friend along with you, hmm?"

He turned and strode down the alley towards the front of the Aosta. I would have followed him, but Theo von Hentzau's hold on my arm prevented any movement.

As Simpelstur rounded the corner, Hentzau pulled me to face him. I expected to see my own anger reflected in his face; instead, I saw a weary resignation. "Miss Auber," he said, "I think it is time we told each other the truth."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.5K 4.8K 63
NOW AVAILABLE: On Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and iBooks! http://books2read.com/chainsofsilver If all the world's a stage, then I am utterly screwn... In the...
530 29 15
All Effone Pacifica has ever wanted is to be the captain of an airship for the ASPECT company. Now that she's successfully earned her own ship, she'l...
263 0 25
A princess destined at birth to marry the prince of all kings, the prince of The First Family. But, what happens when the prince disappears without...
59.6K 4.9K 39
The fairytale formula is simple-it takes a hero, one that's brave and cunning, a magical assistant to aid them, a worthy adversary, and on the other...