Ascendant

By JadenSeptum

Keep up with me and my current projects by diving into this unedited story written by myself (acting as the "... More

PROLOGUE
CAST
CHAPTER ONE: THE TOMB
CHAPTER TWO: MOIRA
CHAPTER THREE: BERK
CHAPTER FOUR: TEMPUS MORA SENDS HIS REGARDS
CHAPTER FIVE: THE PRINCESS
CHAPTER SIX: BREAKING THE CHAINS
CHAPTER SEVEN: THE PRINCE
CHAPTER EIGHT: THE CRACK IN THE GLASS
CHAPTER NINE: LYRICS AND MELODIES
CHAPTER TEN: A BLOODLESS BOND
CHAPTER TWELVE: THE WITCH IN THE WOODS
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: BETTER FOR A MILLSTONE
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: LOKI'S LABYRINTH
CHAPTER FIFTEEN: LIGHT UNTO MY PATH
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: DRIVING OUT FEAR
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: THE FINAL JOKE
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: THE ARTIFACT
CHAPTER NINETEEN: THE LOOSE END
CHAPTER TWENTY: THE DARK GUARDIAN
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: KAHU
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: THE WOLF IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: THE DRAGONBLOOD
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: DRAGO BLUDVIST
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: THE CONQUEROR
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: DEATH'S MISSING STING
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: LORD MACDONALD
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT: HOME
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: MORNING, MY LOVE
CHAPTER THIRTY: THE WATCHER

CHAPTER ELEVEN: WHAT GOES UP...

15 1 0
By JadenSeptum

[GEM]

Eleven dragons and eleven riders soared across the sea, approaching their target destination as they made good time. The wind was cold and caused their faces to go numb despite not even flying that high. It was something Moira (and even the crew of the Rickety Timbers) wasn't as used to as the riders of Berk were.

Most of the dragons were alright with the distance but Ikatere wasn't used to flying this long with cargo on his back. "We're almost there, beast. Just one more league," Uriah told him above the sound of the wind against his ears.

Most of them were wearing hoods and wraps around their heads to keep the cold out, the lack of sunlight not helping as storm clouds gathered overhead. The sea before them was a dark teal, with sights of icebergs far to the north. Ahead, they could see the dark silhouette of the island as they approached their destination.

Oct 6, 2023, 3:55 AM

[MELODY]

Moira had been quiet the whole flight her mind being deeply buried in her thoughts. She hated that she had to leave her brother like that but she knew this was best. She had looked over to Uriah and Ikatere from time to time noticing Ikatere's struggle. "..must be too cold for him!" She told Uriah as she tried to shout over the sound of the wind. Ikatere had been whimpering for a while now as well as shivering. Moira then turned her gaze back to where they were going. Once her eyes fell on the sight of the island she felt a strange feeling creeping up on her. It seemed the dragons reacted to it as well as they seemed to hesitate.

Oct 6, 2023, 4:56 PM

[GEM]

The closer they got, the more Uriah began to feel weighed down in his soul. Not only was this a dark place but it seemed like something lingered here, like embers after a forest fire...

"Is this right?!" Hiccup asked Astrid who flew at his side.

"What?!" she asked.

"You snore when you sleep!" he said as if repeating what he told her before.

"What?!" she asked again.

He snickered to himself.

The dragons made their descent onto the cliffside of the island, the trees too tall and thick to see the village they were headed for. So as a precaution they decided to hike to avoid the locals thinking they were under attack. Not only that, but it gave the dragons a break as well.

As the feet of their reptiles hit the ground, Gregor's Stormcutter immediately collapsed onto its belly to take a nap.

Arne stumbled off his Grapple Grounder. "Ah! Ow..." he bent over and stretched his legs. "Alright, I don't think having kids is a choice of mine anymore," he said with strain.

[GEM]

"Good," Faelan commented before he was promptly shoved over by Arne.

Oct 7, 2023, 1:59 AM

[MELODY]

Moira watched the others as she let Cailean land who made the whole cliff side shake when he did. She looked up at the trees then. There was something so eerie about this place. She felt immediately like they were being watched. She got off then after freeing herself from the saddle. Ikatere was still shivering once the landed and curled up to keep himself warm enough but also because he was exhausted.

Oct 7, 2023, 3:38 AM

[GEM]

Uriah put his hand on the dragon's neck. "Good lad. You did well. Rest your wings, aye?" he said softly to him.

[MELODY]

Moira looked over at Uriah and Ikatere as she grabbed a fur blanket from her bag and walked over to them. "..here ye go.." she said placing it over ikatere's back hoping it would help him a bit. Of course it was too small for him but she hoped it would help a bit. "..do ye also feel like we are being watched?" She asked quietly looking up at Uriah then.

[GEM]

"In a way..." he said as he kept his hand on Ikatere's head. "But whatever it is I don't feel like it's human..." He glanced around idly as he spoke, his eyes searching for something that he knew he could never see.

[MELODY]

"..my thoughts exactly.." Moira said as she looked around as well. Honestly it made her have chills go down her spine. But she didn't show it. This place reminded her of an abandoned castle she once stayed at which was said to be haunted but this place was way worse and way more intense.

Oct 7, 2023, 5:30 PM

[GEM]

"Should we leave our dragons?" Gregor asked with a skeptical look.

"With these people I think the dragons would be more welcome than we would be," Astrid told him.

"And what of these people?" Ruarrc asked her with his constant set brow. "Should we expect hexes and ritual sacrifices?"

"Hmm... only on holidays," Astrid replied with sarcasm as she took the lead with Stormfly at her side, heading for the treeline.

The others began to follow her.

Oct 8, 2023, 2:09 AM

[MELODY]

Moira watched them as a small smile appeared on her face before she turned to Cailean. "Come on lad." she said to him as she started to follow the others as well. It was a bit difficult for him to fit through this right formation of trees but surprisingly he didn't break any. Ikatere lifted his head as everyone started to walk. He whimpered before he got up trembling slightly. He was still exhausted and cold but he didn't want to be left behind.

Oct 8, 2023, 2:39 AM

[GEM]

As the talking died down, only sound they could hear was their footsteps as they journeyed inland, walking through the thick grass that laid between the huge trees, the branches as still as stones with no breeze to be found..

As they traveled, Moira's eyes noticed an obstruction of vision; small white particles of ice that floated down through the air, creating a gentle atmosphere but a strange one still.

The quiet was also an odd feeling. This group not talking much was new.

But finally something did break the silence. It was the screech of a crow that landed in the treetops above them, eyeing them curiously.

Oct 8, 2023, 11:32 PM

[GEM]

Ruarrc had snickered because of Arne nearly jumping at the sound.

The crow flew off and Hiccup noticed another joining it... before the gang resumed walking through the evergreen forest.

"I bet these woods are haunted with the ghosts of the witches," Faelan said to Arne, pretending to just have that thought randomly and not just to try and freak him out.

"Don't start with me, klepto, I'll tell my dragon to swallow yuh," he threatened in return.

"What's his problem?" Tuffnut asked.

"Arne's terrified of ghosts—"

"Aww that's so cute," Ruffnut mocked.

"It's a perfectly rational fear—you mock me but I've seen my dead grandfather twice!" Arne defended.

"It's time you knew. That was Gregor in a wig," Faelan said with a shoulder pat.

"...What?" he asked with a shocked look while nearly everyone was laughing.

"You're an easy target when you're drunk, lad. What can we say?" Gregor commented with a shrug.

[MELODY]

Moira watched the crows as she kept looking around. A small smile appeared on her face again when she heard the others as she kept her eyes on their surroundings. She did have the feeling that something or someone was following them and watching. It made her be on edge but she didn't show that on the outside. Suddenly out of no where the sound of whispers broke the silence. Creating a very strange atmosphere but also made her jump a bit.

Oct 9, 2023, 12:05 AM

[GEM]

"You two look scared," Astrid said with a smirk, talking to Uriah and Moira who were in the lead beside her and Hiccup.

"Vigilant, more, my lady," Uriah replied. "After all, we are here for an investigation. Something or someone is to blame for what happened to those scouts."

"That's true. But it's not this tribe. I mean they talk a big game but when you get to know them they're just as human as we are. Even if rumors make them seem all scary."

Uriah didn't argue with her. He could... in fact, he had several points he could make but doing so wouldn't help in this moment so he stayed silent and tried his best to keep a skeptical look from painting his face.

"They should be pretty welcoming—well, once they know they can trust you. In fact let me do the talking. I don't mind it. Honestly, they make the best pies—one women in particular. Her name was Manereva, I think. The first time I tried one, I nearly got a blueberry—," she stopped as her eyes caught something ahead... Frowning suddenly, she began to sprint and force herself out of the treeline, Hiccup following immediately.

[GEM]

When the rest of the group was in the clearing with her, their reactions were similar to her own.

Before them, was a charred landscape; an ashen ground, with dry silver logs that served as the remains of the trees within the whole area nearly a mile in diameter. Not only that, but there were also remains of burned buildings, faint foundations and frames that were once homes. All destroyed.

The snow that was falling began to look like ash now with this morbid painting of death before them, burned and rotting bodies strung all over the village to complete the picture...

Oct 9, 2023, 4:08 AM

[MELODY]

Moira looked over at Astrid and wanted to protest to say she wasn't scared but then when she sprinted off like that she couldn't so she followed her like the others. Once she saw the sight before them she froze as her eyes widen. It was a horrible sight..like a nightmare.

Oct 9, 2023, 9:47 AM

[GEM]

There was a stillness in the air as shock continued to silence their party. It would be a more horrific sight to people who weren't as used to death as they were... but even so... it was rather startling.

Not only that, but confusion and fear began to sweep the group.

Hiccup was the first to speak up as he said, "What... the Hel happened here?" in a shocked whisper.

Astrid had her hand over her mouth as she was speechless.

Uriah had his brows knit together in seriousness as he stared at the view before them. "Lads, look for survivors..." he told his crew and they began to move into the scene to do so.

[MELODY]

Moira just stood there not sure what to do as Uriah and his crew went to search for survivors. She snapped out of her frozen state of shock when Ikatere touched her hand with his nose whimpering. "It's..it's alright ye are fine.." she said as she crouched down by him. That's when her gaze fell on a corpse of what seemed to have been a little girl. She looked down to the ground when she saw that as she felt tears burning behind her eyes.

[GEM]

As the group leftover started disassembling to help, Hiccup stayed there... and began to rise up in him. Whatever was happening was finally settling in and became real for them.

Images of his own people being slaughtered like this came over him and he tried to dismiss it, but the fear remained.

"Ruff, Tuff. Take your dragon and make sure there aren't any more enemies lurking around," Astrid told the twins. "We have to look for clues to what happened."

Heaviness plagued Uriah and his crew as they stepped around dismembered bodies and burned debris. The people here looked like they'd not only been attacked by a wolverine but also torched with dragonfire, a very noteable explosion wound in one of the houses as there was a massive hole in the upper corner of the coal black wooden hut.

Whatever happened here, there was a clear winner to this fight.

[MELODY]

After taking a few deep breaths Moira managed to calm herself down as much as she could before she stood up again. As she looked over to her side she saw Hiccup's expression change. "..Hiccup? Are ye alright?" She asked slightly concerned. Stupid question in this situation but she asked anyway. Of course they both weren't okay after seeing this sight. The others weren't either. But she just never seen something like this before. It had shook her to her core but she didn't want to show that..not here..she wanted to keep her guard up.

[GEM]

He hesitated when she asked but then shook his head and said, "No." he gazed over the scene as he continued. "Someone's declaring war and whoever they are, they're not showing mercy of any kind..." he said thoughtfully, a seriousness in his tone that, for once, made him seem more than a goofy kid. He seemed like a leader.

[MELODY]

"..I wonder who would do something like this..I mean..these people were probably just living their lives here when someone just decided it had to end.." Moira said as she looked back at the sight again. "..this is just...disrespectful and inhumane..even some of the worst people wouldn't dare to kill a bairn.." she said quietly as her voice started to tremble when she looked over at the girl's corpse again. "..it's like the devil and his demons rained down on them and wiped them out." Moira spoke from the belief she was raised with. Of course highlanders were also very superstitious.

Oct 9, 2023, 11:52 AM

[GEM]

"Or a bastard with a crooked agenda," he replied. He couldn't believe what was happening. Wars were commonplace, yes. But this was strange. It wasn't typical of how they came about. And the way all of these things were happening, it began to worry him deeply.

Uriah stepped around the bodies carefully, praying for the little ones especially and their souls with devastation in his heart.

But as he did this, he searched for clues as to what was responsible, even though he knew in his heart who it was...

Snotlout was looking frantically around, calling for his father on occasion to make sure he wasn't hiding somewhere...

"Lads!" Ruarrc then called, getting everyone's attention as he stepped out of a broken down stone building. "I've got something..." he told them.

Oct 9, 2023, 12:46 PM

[MELODY]

Moira noticed the worry as she looked back at him. She wanted to say something to take some of his worry away at least but she knew that wouldn't be possible in this situation. So she just looked away again and nodded. That's when Ruarrc called. She looked back at Hiccup as she started walking in Ruarrc direction trying to avoid to step on anyone.

Oct 9, 2023, 3:07 PM

[GEM]

As the travelers converged into the room, they saw an old man wearing a dark layered robe, bloody, as well as a crimson stained bandage around his forehead. He was trembling in the corner with his hands on his shoulders, eyes wide and showing a level of terror that caused the party to worry.

"D-don't stay! H-He'll be back! He'll be back for me!" he stuttered, not looking any of them in the eye.

[MELODY]

Moira had a mix of surprise, worry and confusion on her face as she watched the man. She hesitated if she should go help him as he was clearly injured and traumatised. But how in god's name did he survive why there is this scale of destruction and death around him. It seemed almost impossible and suspicious almost. But her curiosity and concern took over as she heard him say that. "Who are ye talking about? Is he the one who did all this? Killed them all?" She asked at a calm tone as she took a few steps closer. Somehow the thought came up in her mind whoever did this killed her family as well..so she wanted to know.

[GEM]

"I'm sorry!" he pleaded, looking on the verge of tears. "I'm sorry! Tell them I'm sorry! I didn't mean to... He made me do it..."

Oct 9, 2023, 11:34 PM

[MELODY]

Moira immediately regretted asking so many questions at once while the man was clearly not in the state of mind to answer them. She carefully took a few more steps his way before kneeling down by him. "..ye did this?" She asked calmly but more carefully now. She wanted to ask more but didn't now.

[GEM]

He hesitated and shook his head quickly.

"Then who did?" Astrid asked him.

There was a pause as he looked up at her with a terrified gaze. "...d-devil."

Uriah frowned in concern but also confusion. This man's mythology didn't include the devil... which was what made him a bit more worried. Whatever he saw made this pagan "warlock" so terrified that he couldn't shake the feeling of an eminent and very real dark force...

"...He came... a phantom with no face... h-he asked... H-he want-wanted," the man continued, still trembling as his lip quivered. "He wanted what we had--what we gave an oath to protect."

Uriah began to become much more interested in his words when he said this, his eyes appearing more intense.

Ruarrc exchanged a look with Faelan.

"H-he... he coerced, threatened... but we swore to protect it. T-to protect it.... with our lives," he added.

Hiccup shut his eyes slowly, realizing that the amount of bodies here suddenly made sense now...

Oct 10, 2023, 3:58 AM

[MELODY]

Moira listened to what he told him carefully as she let his words sink in. They were witches so what they were protecting must have been something very powerful. "..did he succeed in getting it?" She asked as a bit of her concern became clear in her voice. She hoped whoever did this didn't get it.

Oct 10, 2023, 1:43 PM

[GEM]

His expression told all of his answer as his face began to screw up in sorrow, tears slipping down his terrified eyes as he clearly expected some form of eternal punishment for what he failed to do...

Some glances were exchanged in the group, skeptical but their thoughts were flooded with what he could be talking about. Uriah's crew was the most interested, as if this whole thing was a riddle they'd been trying to solve for years.

[GEM]

"He killed everyone," the man said with a broken voice. "...everyone except me... h-he came to me... a-asked me wh-who I was... I told him I was a seer—a prophet for my coven... he... he said 'good... because I want you to tell... t-tell others what happens when they defy me'..." he explained with a traumatized voice. "He took his blade and... and..." he put his hand to his bandage on his head as he recalled what happened.

Ruarrc was the first one to respond to this and he stepped forward, having to know what happened. He took the edge of the bandage and peeled it away to reveal a scabbed and bloody mark carved into his forehead in place of the tattoos he had there.

An ex in a half circle...

Uriah closed his eyes as he took in a breath.

[MELODY]

It hadn't answered Moira's question but she didn't ask further when she saw the man break down like that. When Ruarrc stepped towards him she wanted to stop him but when she saw the wound her eyes widen. It was exactly like the wound Uriah had when they first met.

[GEM]

"...Uriah. A word," Ruarrc told him and left the small building, stepping out into the snow.

The man followed and stood out there with him.

"This is a little too eerily close to what happened to Rune's clan," he told Uriah in a whisper, his gaze smothered in seriousness.

"I know... Tempus Mora succeeded there as well..."

"The answer to what happened here as well as in Stonehill is with that man—we must get him to tell us what Mora took from this place—"

"Look at him, Ruarrc. He's not going to tell us anything with that kind of conviction. Not after revealing it to Mora. He's closer to ending himself—"

"I don't care what the bastard believes, he is our only lead—"

"That's not true," Astrid interrupted, shamefully eavesdropping on their argument. She stepped from the doorway. "I know someone from this coven. She left a long time ago. But still very much alive... at least I hope."

"Do you know where to find her?" Uriah asked, interested.

Melody stood outside the perimeter of the settlement, cluttered noises coming from the town that laid behind the trees. It was harder for her to go in than she thought. She'd spent so long alone... it was strange.

You are ready.

[MELODY]

Melody took a deep breath as well as let out a soft sigh after. "I..it's just..will they accept my help? Like..won't they..be..weary of me?" She said rambling as her nerves were rising. She had been alone so long now away from humans that this felt totally strange.

[GEM]

Don't you trust me, dear?

[MELODY]

"I do..I just.." melody said as she took a deep breath again. "Alright..alright.." She said as she made her way past her the trees as she took a step into the town before stopping and looking around. She kept her hood on not feeling comfortable taking it off yet.

Oct 10, 2023, 3:33 PM

[GEM]

The first thing she heard was the sound of the grindstone; a worker churning out grain for purchase in a mill to her left.

Sounds of a hammer on an anvil rang from ahead towards the end of town where smoke arose from a forge.

And citizens of the town walked around buying goods, speaking with one another, and doing daily chores.

"You can play after you finish your studies," a woman told a young boy when she caught him by the collar and sent him into the house again, taking his wooden sword from him.

A few young women walking by, stared at Melody with questioning gazes, wondering who she was and why she was there.

And these looks continued when she walked further into the town. One person even pointed and asked their parent who she was and this woman promptly sent her kid back inside in response.

Nearby, she picked up the word "witch" whispered quietly.

[MELODY]

Melody immediately felt all eyes on her as she walked through the town. She tried to not let it distract her as she took her nee surroundings in but she couldn't help it to smile at the children as she quietly greeted them. She then suddenly stopped and turned to the door of a house she was now standing in front of. As she was sensing something was off.

Oct 10, 2023, 3:57 PM

[GEM]

The young girl about ten years of age eyed her curiously. "We don't go in there," she told her.

It was then that Melody noticed the door was locked shut with wooden boards, only a small seat available as if to drop food and water into.

Oct 11, 2023, 1:48 AM

[MELODY]

Melody turned around to face the girl when she spoke. "..oh? Why is that?" She asked her as she kneeled down so she was at the same level as her. "..is there someone scary in there?"

Oct 11, 2023, 2:30 AM

[GEM]

"It's where Auntie Grelod lives," the boy beside her said, looking about the same age. Maybe a year younger.

[MELODY]

"..and why is she locked in there? Is she ill?" Melody asked them calmly as a small smile appeared on her face. "..shouldn't she go outside to get some fresh air?"

[GEM]

"She has to stay. Or we'd be sick too," the boy said.

"Leprosy, my lady," the girl explained. "She's had it for ten years now."

Oct 11, 2023, 3:57 AM

[MELODY]

"..well then she should be healed don't you think.." Melody said as she stood up again. She looked back at the house then. This woman must be in incredible pain. It was a miracle she wasn't dead already or that she didn't take her own life. "..so can you ask someone to let me in?" She asked turning back to the two children.

Oct 11, 2023, 12:13 PM

[GEM]

"Let you in? But you'll get sick," the girl said to her.

[MELODY]

A small smile appeared on her face as she shook her head slightly. "I will be fine..don't worry..I just want to help the poor woman."

Oct 11, 2023, 12:36 PM

[GEM]

"Hrefna! Einar! What are you two doing?" presumably their mother called as she walked up to where they were.

"This lady wants to heal old Grelod," the little boy told her.

"Heal her?" she asked with skepticism before looking at Melody. "I don't think so. Now get lost before the others notice what you are, aye? We don't need any more of you around here." There was spite in her tone, as if the woman had a bad history with witches.

[MELODY]

"Any more?" Melody raised an eyebrow when she said that before shaking her head slightly "..I don't know what witches or healers you encountered but I honestly mean no harm...something let me here to her. I really only want to help." She explained calmly as the smile on her face didn't disappear even with how the woman reacted to her. You could say she was used to it but it still made her feel nervous when someone reacted like that. But she didn't let it scare her away. She wanted to help this woman.

[GEM]

"Don't you think she's locked up for a reason? If she gets out she'll infect us all," she told her.

The woman's husband had walked up to where they were now as well, noticing the commotion. He listened to what they were saying with skepticism on his face rather than outright hostility.

[MELODY]

"I understand why you did it and I don't want that either but is there a way for me to get inside? I doubt it that she can even walk right now." Melody said still calmly but she clearly not liked that she started to get more attention and more eyes on her.

Oct 11, 2023, 1:16 PM

[GEM]

"If you think you can do something we'll let you in all you want. But you're not coming back out," the man told her.

cowardly mortals... seems they might change their mind when they watch what you do.

[MELODY]

"I can assure you I will not let the decease get out..so no need to look me inside as well..let me show you what I can do..and let me help. That's all I want..I don't want to harm you in any way."

[GEM]

"When you come out there, after you realize you can't help her... you leave us at once. Stay far away with that sickness on you. Deal?"

[MELODY]

"..alright..deal." Melody said with a small nod as she knew herself that she wouldn't catch that disease. Before she came here she had put protective charms on herself knowing she would be dealing with diseases.

[GEM]

He turned and left at that point, going to retrieve the keys from another before walking back over to unlock the door. Some others had gathered now but at a distance... to see what was going on. The mother that spoke with her held her children close in anticipation for what was to possibly happen, as if they expected a monster to come out.

Lyre sat near Melody, as calm as ever. Of course they couldn't see him like she could, however.

The lock clicked and fell. And the man used a garden tool to pry off the boards they hammered in there, exposing the weathered door.

"We won't hesitate to kill you both if you try anything, got it, witch?" he threatened, protective of his family and village.

[MELODY]

Melody just nodded ignoring his threat as she laid her hand on the wood above the door burning in a protective rune in it. It glowed for a split second. She then turned to the crowd. "..this will prevent the disease from spreading as I go in.." she then turned around to open the door and stepped inside leaving the door slightly open knowing the rune wouldn't let the disease out. She took a deep breath before she took her hood off. "Grelod?" She looked around at the state of the inside of the house. It had become quite the mess and almost unliveable. She then spotted a bed at the end of the room by the fireplace. She walked closer seeing the elderly woman laying with her eyes closed on the bed. It wasn't surprising to see the state the woman herself was in but it still shocked her to see her like that. "Grelod, can you hear me? My name is Melody..I am here to help you.."

[GEM]

Entering the house, the first thing she noticed were the claw marks on the backside of the door as if she had tried to get out before. Carefully walking further inside, she trailed in snow from outside on her boots as she traveled towards the bed. But as she walked and Lyre followed, she noticed a rotted piece of fruit that was on top of a crate fall and tumble onto the floor as if pushed by something.

The feeling in the room was heavy. But not unlike what she had been used to. It was familiar to her and homely somehow. She realized this kind of setting would scare anyone else...

But not her.

The old woman looked hardly alive, skin swollen and covered in hideous bumps that distorted her face and features so much she didn't even appear human anymore. But she looked up at Melody. "I knew you would come," she told her. "I've asked for it... for years..."

It was then that Melody noticed what was on the other side of the one room house. Spread on the floor was a circle and star made of ash and it was sprinkled with bones, feathers, and other familiar items.

[MELODY]

Melody recognised the pentagram and everything around it immediately as a small smile appeared on her face but her concern showed through it as she saw examined the woman's body. "..I am sorry for not coming sooner..let me take your pain away first alright?" She gently held Grelod's hands as she closed her eyes. The tattoos on her skin started glowing white when she did.

[GEM]

Lyre strode silently around her and sat to her left as he watched this with a gaze of still approval

[GEM]

The woman winced when Melody touched her but she let her do what she needed to do anyway.

[MELODY]

The woman could slowly feel her pain lessen as Melody took it away leaving just a bit as she knew if she took all away maybe the woman's body would give up after such a long time of pain. "..alright..that should help a bit." She said softly to the woman as she opened her eyes again. She then opened her bag to unpack what she brought. She had made some potions and herbal ointments beforehand. She opened one of the potions as she turned back to the woman. "Try to drink it..it should give you some energy."

[GEM]

With trembling swollen hands, she reached up and took the bottle in order to drink, the sour taste hitting her when she did but she gulped it anyway. After all the food she was used to wasn't much better.

[MELODY]

Melody's smile grew slightly when she did relieved she could at least still do that. She then started to work on the woman's skin and the bumps. She opened one of the ointments she made as started applying them to her skin. "..I am sorry you had to go through this alone for ten years.." she said as she examined the swelling getting slightly less once the ointment started to work into the skin. She placed pieces of clean cloth around the woman's arms and legs so that the ointment could really do its work as she handed her another potion. Of course melody was a young witch who had to learn a lot still but she was already very bright and skilled for her age. She just wanted to help the ones who everyone else gave up on. To make a difference.

[GEM]

"The seemingly endless pain wasn't even the part I hated most... The loneliness... the isolation... It does things to you... But at least I was never truly on my own even here," she told her.

[GEM]

Melody thought she felt eyes on her but turning to look, she saw nothing.

[MELODY]

She knew it wasn't Lyre, it felt different. "..did you invite something in when you were calling for someone?" Melody then suddenly asked as she noticed a mark in the woman's skin she couldn't explain. She then drew a protective charm over it as well as on Grelod's forehead.

[GEM]

"Oh no don't worry dear. They never harm anyone. Just someone to talk to," she reassured, feeling relieved already as the medicine did its work. "In fact, I think they like you."

Lyre didn't seem concerned to Melody. She figured if anything was out to get her, he would be the first in defense mode.

[MELODY]

Melody seemed less tense about it now but still wondered what it was. She looked confused when the elderly woman said that. "..like me? How do you mean?" She asked as she applied ointment to the woman's face last.

[GEM]

"You're a nice girl. And you are here to help me. Why should anyone dislike that?"

[MELODY]

"..you be surprised..people always are weary of me..animals and other beings are a different story." Melody replied with a small smile on her face then. "..I am just glad I can do something to help others..it's what we witches are born to do..at least that is what my mother says.."

[GEM]

"You have a heart full of love, as well as power, deary. Cherish and protect that. And never let others tell you what you should be," she told her.

[MELODY]

Melody looked over at her as her smile grew warmer. She nodded as she carefully helped her sit up. "I will..thank you for reminding me.." she said softly to the woman as she put the pillows behind her back to support her body.

[MELODY]

She then placed her hand against the woman's chest where her heart is and placed a rune which stood for good health. "Alright..that should do it..now everyone can see your beautiful face again." Melody said with a smile as the swelling and bumps had disappeared. "..so for your house.." melody said looking around as she started cleansing the place as well as cleaning it.

[GEM]

The woman began to touch her face with hands that trembled but not with sickness. With emotion.

She began to breathe heavily as he hands covered her face and she bent forward, taking it in as shock filled her system. But that's when the tears began. A few rolled down her cheeks as she heaved deep breaths. As this happened, slowly a smile began to appear on her face.

It was hard for her to believe she was healed... after so long living like this...

[MELODY]

Melody turned to her once she was done before noticing the emotion as she smiled at her. "..you can start living your life again..do you want to go outside? Might be a bit cold.." she said calmly but softly as she sat down on the edge of the woman's bed watching her take it all in.

[GEM]

She took Melody's hands and looked at her with happy tears stirring in her eyes that now belonged to a healthy face. She was only about sixty years old by the looks of it but her disease had made her look a hundred. The woman nodded, unable to speak.

"We should never have let her interfere. Their kind only brings trouble," a woman was saying as the crowds were talking it all over.

"Suppose she puts a curse on us," a man replied. "We should have killed her at first sight."

"Aye," another agreed.

"If she wants to go in there and heal Grelod, why should we care?" the man who gave her the key reasoned with a shrug, not entirely convinced she was evil at all. "It's not like it would hurt anything."

[GEM]

"And do you think she can actually heal her?" his wife asked with skepticism.

He was about to express doubt but then his eyes trailed over to the door of the old house to see an unrecognizable woman standing in the doorway with Melody holding her arm to help her walk.

The entire town was stunned and someone whispered to another. "Is that...?"

"It can't be," another commented.

The young girl who spoke to Melody before smiled widely. "It's Grelod! She did it! Mum look!" she rejoiced while pointing.

Her brother was the first to start running to her and then others followed with bewilderment on their faces. This confusion began to turn into joy as they marveled at her, looking at her skin where it had been infected before and talking amongst themselves about how amazing it was that she was healed.

[MELODY]

Melody watched the crowd as she took some steps from Grelod, giving the other villages a chance to go to her. She wasn't used to all this attention and praise which was clear in her reaction as she was a bit startled by the people crowding around them.

[GEM]

"How is this possible?" the mother asked with shock on her face.

Her husband smiled slowly at the scene that unfolded before them and he walked over to Melody. "Thank you," is all he could manage to say but she saw the gratefulness in his eyes. More of it than she expected. But looking over at the young boy who was hugging the legs of this old woman, she realized that she was his sister and their aunt.

"The witch cured Auntie Grelod! She did it!" the little girl continued to say.

Others began to echo this and soon the people were just as much crowded around Melody as they were around the old woman, asking questions and offering amazing and praise to her.

[MELODY]

"Just did what needed to be done to help." Melody replied calmly but was overwhelmed by all this attention. She tried to stay calm as she tried to answer their questions. She was relieved and glad herself that it worked out like it did. But still that thing she couldn't see but feel its presence, that was inside that house kept coming back into her mind. She shook it off seeing how the elderly woman was welcomed into her family again as a smile appeared on her face again.

[GEM]

As this was happening, her mind began to silence the sounds of her surroundings as Lyre's voice triumphed over them.

you seem to be receiving company, Melody.

At this... her eyes drifted upwards over the people and towards the pathway that she followed into the village...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

726 75 56
(Somthing I wrote in elementary 😂) Long ago there was a legend, a folk tale, a myth that tells of 6 people. Each given a Gem/Stone of power as a cur...
661K 27.4K 45
(NOT EDITED AT ALL) (LOTS OF GRAMMAR ERRORS) (I was young when I wrote this lol) "You're special, fire boy," the man grins, "you and the others are...
13.8K 559 17
HTTYD AU, takes place after httyd 2 Our story follows one peculiar dragon named Dancer. She is all night fury, but she certainly doesn't look the par...
112K 2.6K 27
"You are different. You are courageous. I might be those things too, but there's one thing you're forgetting. We didn't get this far alone. We both h...