FADE INTO YOU , Shameless ¹

By -bellz

- What if 𝘿elilah can never break the revolving cycle? ˡⁱᵖ ᵍᵃˡˡᵃᵍʰᵉʳ ... More

FADE INTO YOU
ACT ONE
one
two
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten

three

451 12 0
By -bellz

— Guilty By Association

DELILAH TOOK COMFORT from the chaos that was the Gallagher household. Her whole life revolved around the events that took place on a day to day basis. Life had squashed her down more than ever recently and she was still standing even if it was with a slight memory of a black eye.

It's been ages since she's really talked to Lip. Liberty and Tracy, Delilah's wretched mother, which became the start of a slow depression. Happiness was like a cherry blossom on a tree, and when winter came, the cold air nipping and turning it's pink leaves into a shriveled brown pile of nothingness.

"Lilah, can you make mommy a pot of coffee?" Tracy's voice came out raspy compared to her usual velvet voice. Her body had been splayed on the sofa while Delilah braided Liberty's hair.

"Yes, mom," Delilah complied as she stood up. Liberty grumbled at her half braided curls. Veronica would usually do it, but Delilah decided she needed to learn.

Delilah went over to the cruddy coffee maker that spat fumes when it was turned on. It practically wheezed.

While shoveling the coffee in the the filter, Delilah observed her mother smoking a cigarette in the living room.

Tracy was once beautiful. Her long thin hair used to be thick and lustrous. Her hair used to be a deep brown, similar to Delilah's. Now it was a brassy blonde that was in desperate need of a bleach and tone.

Her lips parted to reveal her severely damaged teeth. One hit and her beauty dwindled into nothingness. Her frame was less and less full everyday. Her only cravings were coffee and heroin. It crushed Delilah to see her mother succumb to this. It was confusing to a little girl whose father had died. He killed himself when she was three.

Delilah was fucked up, but so was everyone else in her life.

"Enough staring and bring me some coffee, Lilah," Tracy ordered. Her rough voice brought Delilah out of her daydreams. Back to the cold reality that was her life.

Delilah whipped up a cup of coffee and handed it to her mother. She smiled a sickly sweet smile at her before Delilah plopped down on the carpet to braid Berty's hair.

"When's your birthday again, Lilah?" Tracy asked, the nickname making Delilah's head spin.

"April 14th, Tracy," Delilah responded making Tracy sigh. "What?"

"I could've sworn it was tomorrow," Tracy mumbled. Her puzzled look turned into a smirk. "It ain't like it's special. Definitely turning sixteen, but you have been kissed. I know that because you and Kyle—"

"Kyle is an asshat," Liberty budded in. Her high pitched voice cause all eyes to go to her. Delilah smirked at her and back at Tracy.

"You got your mother's filthy fucking mouth. Fucking ingrate. Should've never taken you in. You're get in a gang like your stupid parents, and end up just like 'em," Tracy spat and Delilah rose from her spot on the floor.

"You don't know what you're talking about! They were good people! Better than you!" Liberty roared, tears streaming down her little face. Delilah yelped as Tracy splashed her piping hot coffee toward the pair.

Unfortunately, Liberty caught the wrath of the hot liquid.

LIBERTY SNUGGLED AGAINST Delilah's chest as she sat on the Gallagher's couch. Carl sat on standby which was odd. Apparently the pair had grown close over time. Debbie seemed to slowly grow disinterested and more interested in other things.

Things were as hectic as ever, but nobody minded if Liberty and Delilah took comfort on their couch. Lip strolled behind them, noticing the ice pack on Liberty. He scanned them quietly, yet worriedly.

After a moment, Lip came back two cups of orange juice in his hand. It was like he knew when he seen the rest of the Gallagher's didn't brew a pot of coffee when they heard their story.

"School?" Lip quizzed, his eyes fell down to Liberty. He wanted to make sure he showed he mostly cared about Berty.

"I'll see when she wakes up," Delilah replied. Her voice came out raspy as Liberty stirred against her chest. "What about you?"

"School," Lip answered, setting the glasses down on the coffee table. He stood adjacent to Delilah. "Sheila could watch her, y'know. If you wanted to go."

"Could she?" Delilah asked. She didn't like school, but getting an education was a very important thing to her despite the relationship she had with it.

"Yeah, wanna get going? I was heading there anyways," Lip suggested and Delilah nodded.

WALKING WITH KAREN and Lip was not on her list of things she'd take on today. She didn't think she'd have to deal with Liberty's new second degree burns either, but here they were.

"I like your top," Karen complimented. Her bitchy smile grew wider as Lip put his arm around her shoulder. "You're like super hot. I bet you get the Freshman going."

Delilah flashed a fake smile, her gaze landing on Lip who had a ghost of a smile on his lips.

"I guess," Delilah shrugged her eyes now on the cloudy sky.

"Lip tells me you're like his little sister," Karen added and Delilah nodded. She looked to Lip who avoided her gaze.

"Does he?" Delilah smiled. Her smile was as fake as the one she had before. She wasn't sure how to act. Not around Karen, or Lip, or anyone for fuck sake.

The conversation was cut short. Delilah's refusal to talk helped with that. Karen kept giving Lip looks, and he just brushed it off, knowing Delilah, she mostly didn't want to come out of her mouth.

Her arms were crossed as she followed behind. It sucked she was fifteen. Ian was treated as equal, but she was treated like a little sister? Bullshit. Maybe it was because their families were close— well, just her and Liberty.

This morning was already traumatic, but now it was plain shit as jealousy gnawed away at her bones.

THE WORK DAY was slow. She stocked the drinks, bored out of her mind. At least Ian was doing it with her. They were quiet today, but he filled her in on what happened between him and Mandy. Or more like what didn't happen.

The bell chimed making their laughter die down. Especially when they saw Mickey Milkovich and his psychotic brothers.

"Ian Gallagher, you messed with the wrong girl," he boomed as he walked into the store.

Ian made a run for it, running out the back door.
Mickey followed only to be locked out.

"Mandy told us what you did, you piece of shit!" Mickey yelled through the door. Delilah stood out of the cooler now, in front of the checkout counter.

"He's gone. There's a door in the back," Kash told them.

"Tell your fuckwad boyfriend this isn't over!" Mickey yelled running out of the door.

DELILAH HATED SMOKING cigarettes, but they were the only thing that took the edge off when she needed it. She sat on the Gallagher's porch, chain-smoking. A crisp cough escaped her throat, her hand grasping her chest. 

Liberty came out of the Gallagher house running away from Carl. Delilah smiled at the new duo. They were cute little friends.

A cop car pulled up. Delilah could only imagine what this was for. She stood up, flicking her cigarette into the snow. 

Tony got put, so his visit could range from visiting Fiona to a crime one of them have committed. 

"Hey, Delilah," Tony greeted before knocking on the door. Fiona opened up causing Delilah to turn to them. "It's me. The virgin." 

Delilah blinked, confused by his words until Fiona said, "Oh. Heh, not anymore. Remember the car? "

"You were right. Sorry. I should have told you beforehand," Tony apologized. Delilah raised her eyebrows and moved out of the way.

Lip strolled up to the house casually, his face bloodied up. Delilah shot up and followed him in the house asking him questions. It didn't work as well as she would've thought. His lips were sealed.

DELILAH STARED AT the old man who'd been dressed like a woman from the kitchen sink. It had ceased to amaze her how many problems can brew up in a week.

"Who's the old dude?" Lip asked the question that had been bouncing around Delilah's head,

"It's not a dude. It's your Aunt Ginger," Frank informed him, although Delilah faintly remembered his features. She couldn't put her finger on it.

"What, the one who owns the house?" questioned Lip.

"That's right. Ginger, say hello to your nephew," Frank demanded from Ginger.

"Why is he trying to pass off Mr Perry as Aunt Ginger?" Lip asked, That's where she knew him from.

"He's our old bus driver," Delilah answered.

"Social Security wants to talk to Ginger and he was too lazy to get the real one," Fiona explained. Delilah snorted, starting the dishes to shut off all of the outside noise.

Liberty, Carl, and Debbie all walked in with hairdryers. Delilah stopped being confused, or questioning Liberty when she came home.

"Hey, Kev. Can I borrow your car for the night? I need to-" Frank snatched the phone away before Frank could finish.

"We don't need the car," Frank told her. Delilah shut the water, washing the few forks and plates in there.

"How are we gonna get Ginger?" Fiona inquired. Delilah's interest suddenly peaked.

"She's dead," Frank responded making Delilah look to Lip, who seemed just as surprised as everyone else. 

"Who's dead?" Debbie asked worriedly.

"Ginger, Debs," Delilah answered softly.

"No," Debbie mewled, saddened by this news apparently.

"Debs, you never met her," Lip reasoned.

"Now I never will!" Debbie responded sadly.

"Don't give me a hard time. I've been very upset about this," said Frank, excusing himself as if he deserved it. "I'm in mourning."

"When did she die?" quizzed Fiona.

"Hmm... twelve years ago," Frank replied making Delilah sigh frustratedly. "I was trying to protect you all from the trauma. How do you think I feel? That woman was my heart and soul. She practically raised me and Delilah's mom, Tracy." 

"Dad, you've been cashing her checks. That's a felony. We're living in her house. Was there even a will?" Fiona asked.  

"You don't need a will if she's not technically dead," Frank argued. 

"Yes, she is technically dead, dad. Dead is dead," Fiona pointed out, although Frank is about as thick as the Earth's mantle, so to him, this is only another opportunity. "Just because you haven't told anybody that she's dead... doesn't make her not dead. Fuck! What are we gonna do now?"

THE GALLAGHER'S HAD their family time and spent it mopping up their problems. Liberty and Delilah finally returned home after watching Tracy pull off. She'd be back. She always came back.

Delilah closed the door behind Liberty and shrugged off her jacket. Kicking off her boots, she began to look around. The house looked nice for once. It was like Tracy felt bad, so she cleaned the house.

"It smells like lemons in here," Liberty marveled as she dumped her stuff in its correct home. She was very tidy. Delilah thought she was a smart kid and she was glad for that.

"Don't get used to it. Her and Terry will have all of their stupid friends over and they'll make me clean the mess," Delilah said pessimistically. 

"Lil?"

"Yes, Berty?"

"Are the Gallagher's good people?" Liberty questioned.

"They're the same as you and I. I mean, everyone's a little screwy," Delilah said and Liberty furrowed her eyebrows. "But yes. We're the good ones."

"We?"

"Let's just say we're guilty by association."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25K 444 10
Alexis Gallagher, living on the Southside of Chicago has kicked her ass but she has always been able to get back. Until the wind gets knocked out of...
114K 1.9K 57
well, did she make you cry? make you break down? shatter your illusions of love? now tell me, is it over now? do you know how? pick up the pieces and...
2.8K 127 6
"i'm in the corner watching you kiss her, i'm right over here, why can't you see me? i'm giving it my all, i'm not the girl you're taking home, i'll...
1.5M 27.1K 88
{DISCONTINUED} Cassie Gallagher was born to an alcoholic father and a dead beat mother. Being raised by her older sister was tough, but what was eve...