You

By XycieMae16

Malkiel fell in love with Serenity at first sight. He did everything for her and yet Serenity's heart belonge... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
Side Story #1
Side Story #2

Chapter 19

1 0 0
By XycieMae16

"I thought you didn't want to write and sing about love"

"Galene I swear , if you're trying to annoy me, it's working pretty darn well"

"I am trying to annoy you but I also want to remind you that you're the one who said that you're tired of writing songs about love"

"Guys it's D-Day, are you seriously going to argue today too"

"It's his fault"

"It's her fault"

Malkiel smiled as he stare at Galene and Drystan arguing while Koa tries to stop the two of them. Today is the battle of the bands, the day they had been preparing for months. Seeing the two act like how they usually do certainly helps him take his nerves off.

"Are you two starting again? Don't you ever get tired of it?"

Malkiel's gaze flew to the door where Quincey just entered, behind her was Serenity holding a couple of papers to her chest. Malkiel stared at her and flinched when Serenity's gaze flew to her, she smiled sheepishly at him. Whatever happened to them went on for a week, but Serenity no longer avoids his gaze and maybe he should be thankful for that.

Instead when their eyes meet, she would smile sheepishly at him. She would also greet him but beyond that point, nothing. They haven't talked about the confession since then mostly because they were too busy preparing for the competition. But, that didn't mean Malkiel never thought of it.

He let out a sigh and smiled sadly towards himself. There's no point in pondering what Serenity was thinking. He had already resigned to his fate. He accepted the fact that Serenity would never look at him the way she looked at Jace.

So little by little, he only wants to be friends with her now. Just staying by her side as her friend would be enough for him.

Serenity stole a glance towards Malkiel and saw that he was smiling sadly before standing up to go to his drums. She could feel that annoying feeling in her chest once again. It was clear how she felt for him now and it was also evident that she didn't know how to act around him anymore after that realization.

Quincey and Galene quickly took notice of the two and exchanged looks.

"Hey you guys better pull yourselves together, if this doesn't go well, you better remember that it's the end for you"

The four guys stared at Galene who was now looking at them seriously. Each one of them took their instruments and stood on the makeshift stage.

"Geez Galene, can't you give us a normal pep talk? Do you have to be so harsh?"

Kenzo pouted as he strapped in his guitar. Drystan looked at each one of them and adjusted his microphone.

"Well she is a demon so I wouldn't expect some leniency from her"

"Says the monster who likes to torture his bandmates"

Before Drystan and Galene begin their arguments again, Malkiel tapped his drumsticks together and counted up to three. Instantly Koa and Kenzo who were quick to the uptake started their guitars and the harmony came together.

As the four of them practice their song, Malkiel's gaze never left Serenity. He found out something comforting and he didn't want to let it go, it was that whenever Malkiel was playing, Serenity's gaze was always on him. Like a beauty being enchanted by their melody.

And sure enough, Serenity was staring at him intently. He smiled at the thought of it, Serenity being mesmerized by their song was a win for him.

"HELLO CLANDESTINE HIGH!! This is your resident and beloved music teacher, bringing you to the opening of our annual Battle of the bands. Now as we had always done, the battle of the bands marks the opening of our Mid-year festivals. So everyone be prepare to have your spirits up high as we welcome the bands that would play us their original compositions"

"Guys, we're second to the last"

The four male gazes flew towards Galene who just entered backstage. She was wearing a black shirt that had the word Manager at the back.

"Wait you sure you got that spot?"

Galene only smiled at them and showed them the card that she got. Initially the managers or representatives of each bands goes to draw a random card that states in what order would they go. The best number would always be the second to the last or preferably the last act, as this would make the judges remember them the last.

"Wow I guess you're our lucky charm huh"

Koa happily says before putting an arm around Galene's shoulders.

"Told you I'm lucky"

Malkiel laughed as Galene proudly smiles at them. Last year they were in the middle and it certainly didn't make them feel lucky.

"Just remember to play your best, we'll be in the crowd if you need us"

"Why are you doing the pep talk"

Drystan grumbled to which Galene raised an eyebrow at. They thought the two would start bickering again but Galene only tapped Drystan's shoulders and smiled.

"I'll left you off the hook now because you need to sing later"

She waved at them and disappeared leaving a stunned Drystan and a laughing Koa and Kenzo. Malkiel saw how Drystan's ears reddened probably by the embarrassment that Galene didn't bicker with him. Malkiel smiled but their attention quickly shifted towards the first band who were on the stage now.

"You guys I'm starting to feel all nervous"

"Yeah me too"

Koa and Kenzo simultaneously said while Malkiel and Drystan who were feeling nervous too just stared silently at the band playing.

"What? You guys chickening right now?"

The four of them turned around to see Quincey, Galene and Serenity staring at how ridiculous they look. Malkiel quickly took notice of the bottles the three had in their hands.

"Quincey can't you just pop up like a normal person? You're like a mushroom, popping out of nowhere"

Quincey raised an eyebrow at Kenzo.

"I guess you are nervous, noting how you're more talkative than before. Here"

Quincey gave Kenzo the bottle she was holding to which Kenzo stared at.

"What's this? Pee?"

Malkiel swore he saw a vein in Quincey's head snap. He winced, sometimes his friend could be weird and he didn't even know why he would say the things that pops on his head first without thinking.

"Can't you just take it like a normal person? Why do you have to be so weird"

"You're the weird one, what is this anyway"

Kenzo argued with Quincey while Galene laughingly gave one to Koa and Drystan.

"It's Jasmine tea Kenzo, it should help with the nerves. Serenity made it"

Malkiel stared at Serenity who gave him a bottle but won't look at him directly.

"Oh is that it? You should have said so Quincey. I thought you peed on it"

"Why do you have to be so disgusting"

Malkiel thought it was new that the ones bickering right now were Kenzo and Quincey. He took the bottle from Serenity who didn't say anything and just turned her gaze towards Quincey and Kenzo. Malkiel let out a sigh and shifted his gaze only to catch Drystan staring at Galene who in turn was laughing at Kenzo and Quincey.

Drystan turned his head and met Malkiel's gaze, for the second time today, his ears turned red as he quickly turned around.

What was that about. He silently asked himself.

He opened the bottle and tasted the tea that Serenity gave him. He had assumed that the tea would be bitter but it was surprisingly sweet.

"Hey"

Malkiel turned to Serenity who was now staring at him. He was surprised thinking that it had been so long since she initiated a conversation. He smiled at her.

"Yea? What's up?"

"Do you like it?"

She said in a small voice before pointing at the bottle. Malkiel gave her a smile and nodded.

"Yea, it tastes great. I like it"

Malkiel muttered the word like with a whole different meaning and Serenity knew exactly what it was. She bit her lower lip before staring at Malkiel again.

"Later, would you like to walk home together?"

Malkiel's eyes widened at the sudden invitation of Serenity but he was happy nonetheless. He nodded at her to which she smiled shyly. Malkiel missed seeing her smile, he missed talking to her about the little things that happened in their day. He missed her.

He wanted to pull her into a hug like how he had done that day but instead he clenched his fist shut.

This would be enough for him. Serenity seeing him as a friend should be enough for him right now.

Time flew by and before they knew it, they were up next. The guys waved back at the three girls as they exit the backstage. They can't help but appreciate their presence as it helped ease their nervousness.

Drystan looked at the four of them and smiled. It was time for their usual huddle up.

"Alright, this is our revenge story, let's get that championship. There's only one name that they should be saying out loud."

All of them smiled before shouting.

"PHOENIX HARMONY LET'S GO!"

One by one they go out into the stage and as soon as they do the cheers grew louder. Most of the cheers came from girls but they easily spotted Galene, Quincey, Serenity along with Miss Emily smiling at them.

"Hey, how's it going?"

Drystan stood by the mic and immediately the girl's screams grew louder.

"We're phoenix harmony and this is our song. We hope you enjoy"

At that short introduction, the whole school grew quiet and everyone almost held their breaths as the group started playing their instruments.

Malkiel stole one last glance from Serenity and when he saw that she was smiling at her, he couldn't help but smile as well. He started beating his drums and all he could feel was letting himself go.

You build me up

You bring me down

But, you're the girl I can't live without

You build me up

You bring me down

But, you're the girl I can't live without

You call it off

You call it on

But, I can't help being around you

Nooo

Unbeknownst to the girls, this song was something that Malkiel helped wrote.

Every minute of every day

You change your mind in every way

You think I'm selfish

You think I'm great

I just can't help being around you

And I'm not leaving without you, girl

Drystan and Malkiel wrote the lyrics themselves. Weeks ago, Malkiel had asked Drystan if he could write some of the lyrics for this song.

Baby, it's a long way down

It's a long way out of here

But, I'm willing to believe

That maybe if we fly away now

We can hit the ground again

So we can go another round

Malkiel poured all of his feelings into this song and somehow he was surprised that Drystan was pouring all of his too. He didn't know where he got it from but Malkiel saw another side of Drystan during those times.

We get pissed off

We get along

Sleep on the sofa

Sleep in your arms

You tell me "yes"

You tell me "no"

I just can't help being around you

And I'm not leaving without you, girl

Malkiel looked at the audience and can't help but appreciate how everyone seemed to be enjoying their song.

Baby, it's a long way down

It's a long way out of here

But, I'm willing to believe

That maybe if we fly away now

We can hit the ground again

So we can go another round

But he paid his attention to the particular girl who were singing along with the crowd. He could see Serenity's mouth move with the music. She was singing along with them.

I know that we argue

I don't want to

But, I'm telling you

That deep down I love you

I think we can make it another round

He smiled again at the thought of Serenity. He smiled for the last time as dread crept up on him. And as the song come to an end, Malkiel can't help but feel sad.

Baby, it's a long way down

It's a long way out of here

But, I'm willing to believe

That maybe if we fly away now

We can hit the ground again

So we can go another round

Tonight, he'll finally have his answer to his confession and he don't know if it was something he should be anticipating for. Knowing all too well that Serenity was only going to turn him down.

That thought alone made his heart ache.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 29.3K 43
Highest rank: #1 firstlove [COMPLETED] "Let's get together. No strings attached, no hearts involved." That all it meant for me, sex was just a game...
696K 25.8K 85
Pepper never meant to lose her best friend. Lucas never meant to fall in love. Yet the aftermath of broken hearts leads them to blur the lines of the...
6.7M 225K 48
Lexi is finishing up high school and needs extra money for the trip of her dreams and what better job is there than babysitting? What happens when sh...
88.3K 3.4K 23
Harper was never lucky when it came to relationships. Sure, she was unfairly beautiful, but guys were more interested in having her as arm candy, t...