A Fault In Our Time

By fanaticHazzel

They had their secrets, they had their reasons and in the midst of trying to hide their secrets, they realize... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter3
Chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
Chapter 18
chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Epilogue

Chapter 22

16 2 0
By fanaticHazzel

Fay watched as the Queen's eyes become teary, Emmett had left earlier now it was their time to leave. Fay knew the queen was feeling broken watching all her children she took care of, leave the palace. It was heartbreaking.

"I love you. Always know that." the Queen couldn't stop herself from going down a memory lane of her and Hermit. She tried to smile but she couldn't.

Queen Hannah has been the one to take care of Hermit since he became a year old, although at times, she'll make the king take Hermit back to Mariam but, she still looked after him and after Mariam's death, he became her responsibility fully. He is her last son and it's heart wrenching watching him leave. Watching them all leave.

Hermit pulled away from the hug, he stared at his mother for a minute then turned and walked away from the Queen, his hand secure around Fay's wrist as he guides her to the carriage.
He helped her climb in and followed cue.

He didn't for a moment turn his head to look at the palace. He didn't want to any regret for leaving. He doesn't wish to return. He has nothing here except their mother and his brothers. He didn't mind visiting after some time but he will never stay in the palace again.

"hey. Are you okay?" Hermit asked Fay as his hand grabbed hers.

She exhaled calmly, before putting her head on his shoulder. "I'm fine. I'm glad we are leaving but I'm sad you are leaving the Queen. She looked heartbroken." Fay said.

Hermit turned his head to look out the window to stare at the houses as they pass by, he was sad for leaving the Queen but he knew, he always knew he will leave the palace someday. He just had no choice when he got attached to the Queen. She looked after him. She was everything to him.

"it hurts. But you are all I have now. Once we get to Cold Lair division, it's just you and me." He spoke as he stroke her hair gently and she cuddled closer.

"you are everything I have too but don't worry, you have us. Aileen is here too." She took his hand and placed it on her baby bump.
"I know." He spoke gently.

Hermit couldn't remember much about Cold Lair lair division but he knew, he could recall a few memories of his mother in Cold Lair division, so, his mother had stayed there before. Not all her time in Cold Lair kingdom but she stayed there

Their journey will be a long one though, it will possibly take about two weeks and maybe, just maybe he'll get to Cold Lair division to see Venus' letter.
Although he had lost the ability to speak after his outrage and had isolated himself after that, still, Venus' wedding was something he didn't want to miss. It was something Venus knows of.

He looked down at Fay and inhaled sharply, this was a new place they are going, a place he knows nothing about, a place he could easily be betrayed, attacked. A place he has to keep a close eye on Fay, so he can always protect her. This division is praised for their war tactics and praised of their animalistic behavior. Their hospitality. He has been to war many times yet he wasn't sure for the first time in his life if he could control such division.

When he made enquiry, he heard that this particular division was ruled by 3 governors- two governor, one tribunus, before him yet his father called those governors back to the capital saying their time of service in the Cold Lair division, was over.
The king had done this purposely to keep Hermit very occupied and his hands full. Hermit knew of this because the governors aren't even old enough to retire.

"you are thinking too much again." Fay's voice dragged him out of his thought.

"you can't blame me." Hermit said with a small smile. "do you know? I can speak now to anyone, I think." He told her and a soft gasp escaped her lips.

"when did you notice?" she asked.
"after I returned from the western region. I think I got back my voice when I went there."
"oh. It feels good, doesn't it?"
"not that good."

If Fay was sad that he hadn't told her he got his voice immediately he returned, she didn't show it nor did she voice it. She remained calm cuddled against his side.

"it doesn't feel that much good, the people I can talk to now are not people I would want to waste my time talking to. It was always like this. The people I can't talk to are people who are not worth it."

"well, maybe when we get to Cold Lair division, you'll get to like it." She raised her head to stare at him as he looked at her. "you'll need it. I heard, they train strong soldiers there."
"and who told you so?"
"I had Kaylin make some enquiries for me. I needed to be sure."

'Kaylin likes to get involved in too many things.' Hermit wanted to say but chose not to. "I thought so too." He knew he will need it. He can't control a whole division without his voice but he also wonders if he can be able to dictate the bad people now. As his voice would always seize when there's a bad person with him, now, he can speak to anyone so, how will he know who is bad and not.
Although, his instinct never lies.

_________________

Imogen stared at the prince before her, his eyes dark holding a kind of darkness she can't explain and never wishes to discover.

"I will never see you as my wife." He gritted.

"I do not wish you to. I will do all my duties and I shall never disgrace you but please try not to disgrace me too." She spoke calmly before her eyes stray away from him to look outside the window, the snow covering places while some of the palace servants try to clear the snow from some paths to ease movement. Her eyes narrowed. "no matter your love for beauties, I suggest you at least let us have a year of peace before starting your conquest." She knew the reputation his father had, and it wouldn't be odd if the son wanted to do thesame as his father had done but now, right now, she needs to fulfil her duties and she does not wish to feel threatened.

This power, the power that comes with being the crown princess was what had taken her to make a deal with prince Theodore and true to his words, he pushed her to such place, and he gave her the highest power she can get.
This power is what she needs to strike, to avenge those who had hurt her. Who took away her sister?

"I'm not like my father." The crown prince gritted, he didn't know why he feels the need to clear it to her that he is nothing like his father and never will be. They are different.

She had wondered what this prince had done to get himself to what he is today, he didn't eliminate any of his brothers but seeing the circumstances, she knew things isn't well between them. Only one of his brother was present at their wedding and the others? They left as though they were chased. Chased by who? She knows not.

"it does not matter to me who you are. I just do not want to become the laughing stock of Cold Lair Kingdom. If you understand what I mean... and, I shall tell you, I will not hold any mistresses' child as the Queen had done. The queen has a heart no one has." God bless the Queen. Imogen would never watch the child of her husband suffer but she would not like to give him the impression that she's soft hearted. No, she wants him to think of her as a wicked lady, thus, he will not try cross her.

Venus seethed. "you will do well to remember I am your husband and you, my wife." His voice was cold and Imogen tried not to shiver. To not give him any hint that she's afraid, she tried to smile. "you do what I want and you accept anything I do, you have no right to choose. Absolutely No right."

True, she has no right but she wouldn't let him believe she's weak. It was why she had never tried achieving this power through the last prince, although most people had thought he'll be the future king, she knew she couldn't bargain with prince Hermit. He was a demon, an animal with no civil reasoning alas, there was a lady that could still tame him. Such wonders. He had to kill four ladies before he got the right one but, he has a reputation that terrifies people and nobody wanted to test him. Even Imogen didn't and wouldn't dare to test him. She was sure if it were Hermit, then she would have been dead.

It was said that Lady Fay had used magic to get a hold on Hermit, some said she is a sorceress, some said she and prince Hermit have some dark agreement. She doesn't know which is true but Prince Theodore had told Imogen that, Hermit will kill for Fay and could even kill himself if it will protect her.

Thus, Imogen had concluded that it might not be any dark power but love, it was said that he never showed any emotion until Fay. To Imogen, Hermit loves Fay in a kind of way people couldn't understand.

"I shall be the wife you need and all that I seek of you is support and power." Imogen had a small smile on her face when she saw a slight confusion graced Venus' face for a slight second before he masked it.

"you knew you'll become the crown princess and you waited for this? What is your relationship with Theodore" Venus asked.

The way Imogen spoke, it gave him a glimpse of who she might be, she talked of power as though she had expected it and has a lot of plan for it. A kind of plan to put his power into display. She looked and sounded calculative. Senile. Smart.
She has an intelligent mind beneath that beauty with a calm look that will deceive anyone and everyone except Hermit.

He wondered how this lady came to be here, what was her relationship with Theodore? Theodore wasn't one to hurt him, he was sure of that. Was he? He Shook his head. He can't allow doubt to cloud his mind. Not now.

"why should I tell you?" Her answer to his earlier question drag him out of his thought.

"maybe you haven't been told but, you must know, people don't cross me."

"I do not fear you. You are not Hermit."

"yet I'm the only that can stand him. You should know what I can do then. I can be your worst nightmare." He spoke, his voice sent shiver down her back. He stood up from his chair opposite her. "I have fulfilled my mother's wish by having a chat with you, now, I must not waste a single second on you. Stay clear of my path. I don't do well with threat." He stated in a too calm voice. The way he spoke was like a promise to Imogen. A promise that holds darkness and cruelty.

Somehow he had instilled fear into her and she couldn't forget Theodore's words and warnings as he asked her if becoming the crown princess is truly what she desires. Shame, she doesn't feel satisfied at all.
Rather she feels threatened as she gets the clear warning in Venus' speech and even his voice was enough to make her lose her calm.

What has she gotten herself into? Does she tell Venus the truth or continue to fight her battle alone.

When he said he had fulfilled his mother's wish, she realized, she wasn't even worth his time and it wasn't his wish to start a conversation with her. He did it not because deem her worthy but for the love he has for the Queen.

Now, she's not so sure if she will ever be opportune to have even a civil chat with him. She had misused her chance.
With this thought, Imogen quickly stood up and ran to Venus who was making his way to the door of their chamber.

"please." She knew she didn't stand a chance to bargain with him, she had tried to be strong and bargain something but it didn't work, thus she had to be weak to get him. She has to be weak for him alone. He might not listen to her but she prayed he does.

"what now? I have very little patience when it comes to you." Venus couldn't say why but whenever he was close to this said lady, he loses his calm and the fact that he feels she's hiding something, that she has a motive, is what irks him, moreover, he felt he was wronging Kaylin by giving another lady his attention.

"I'll tell you everything, I only need you to treat me rightfully. I do not seek for your affection, just your respect.." she knew if he respected her then no one will dare hurt her and nobody will laugh at her face. Calling her names. Unfavorable crown prince's wife.

"please." She pleaded, her eyes already clouded with tears. It has been long she had tears in her eyes, it has been long she pleaded with anyone. Whatever she had now, she had gained it through diplomatic ways but she did not plead for them but hearing herself plead now, made her feel pathetic.

And if she was pleading with Venus from their first night then, how often did Fay plead with Hermit? All the princes are evil but, Hermit was feared most and even she, has seen what he can do, yet that day, his soldiers had said he showed mercy. If that was his mercy, she wondered what his brutality will be like still, here she is, begging someone not as evil as him.

Fay was a lady that couldn't be compared to. Imogen concluded.

Venus stared at his wife's face, her eyes clouded with tears, they look scared. Her lips shaked slightly. His eyes trail up to her eyes again, after staring at her small nose for not more than a few seconds.

"when I return, I shall listen and you shall not sleep until I return." He said and somehow, he saw relief wash over her features.

Well, she was in for a punishment she is yet to know because he won't be returning anytime soon and she mustn't sleep, if she does then he will have to postpone her request.

"thank you." She shocked him by that statement.
Now, he looked at her, he really did looked at her. She is beautiful. A kind of beautiful he should avoid.
He nods his head before turning to leave, her hand clasping his left hand fall from his hand, letting him go.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.2K 1K 60
The Diamond Award winner - For kingdom , for country reign for them all. They say the Crown wars is a game of domination not love. Inevitably the bes...
26.3K 1.1K 37
"Why me?" "I've been asking myself the same thing since the day I saw you." *** Hope Lancaster had always lived a relatively normal life. School, wor...
17 0 11
In the heart of a mist-laden forest, where the shadows danced with secrets and whispers hung in the air like a shroud, there stood a castle. Its anci...
84 0 16
Two people in love. Both hide secrets. Their families hide secrets. Little do they know how much hatred there is in between. Will they be able to ov...