Reputations Matter Most | Fed...

By _Kurbee_

This couldn't be happening. Fitz was not falling for a guy. Let alone Dex Dizznee. His reputation would be ru... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
A/N - Sequel? 👀
~ Reputations Aren't Worth It ~

Chapter 30

241 6 10
By _Kurbee_

Dex kept fiddling with his cape and his family crest as he stood outside the doors of Everglen.
He was extremely nervous.
It didn't help that his mother, Juline, kept forcing him to switch outfits until it was 'perfect' for dinner with the Vackers.

Dex took a deep breath and just as he was about to knock on the door, it opened.
Dex blinked as he seen Biana.
"Why are you just standing there?" Biana smiled.
Dex looked at how Biana was dressed, her dress was quite elegant and...sparkly. It was teal, complimenting her eyes.
"Uh...nerves?" Dex smiled at Biana, answering her question.
Biana rolled her eyes as she took Dex by the arm and dragged him inside. Dex yelped and Biana shut the door. Dex looked over at Biana and Biana was already taking off his cape for him.

"Well, you have nothing to worry about." Biana said, folding the cape in her arms.
"You know me, you're Fitz's boyfriend, and our mother has been looking forward to see you again."
Biana flashed a smile at Dex and Dex took a deep breath.
"Uh, so where's Fitz?" Dex asked, glancing around.
Biana set aside Dex's cape and hummed for a moment.
"He is helping setting out the plates while our mother is setting out dinner on the table." Biana said.
"You ready to head to the dining room?"

Biana interlocked her arm with Dex's.
Dex took another breath as he ran his fingers through his hair.
"Uh, do I look okay?" Dex asked.
Biana glanced Dex up and down.
"You look fine, Dex." Biana smiled.
"C'mon."
Biana patted Dex's arm as she walked off. Dex followed alongside her, as their arms were interlocked and Dex didn't feel like being dragged about.

They made it to the dining room and Dex felt awkward as he seen Della fixing Fitz's hair.
Biana cleared her throat as it seemed they didn't notice them.
Della and Fitz looked over and both of them smiled.
"Ah! Hello Dex! Welcome!" Della exclaimed, making her way over to Dex.
Biana took her arm away from Dex and stepped aside.
"T-thank you for inviting me over for dinner, Lady Della." Dex said, smiling awkwardly.
Della sighed. "Don't be so formal! You can drop the title." 
Dex was clearly surprised but he smiled.
"...Alright, well...thank you Della." Dex nodded.
Della smiled at Dex.
"Come take a seat. Dinner is prepared already so we can start digging in."

Della placed a hand on Dex's shoulder and guided him towards the table.
Dex looked at Fitz who seemed to be smiling a lot.
Fitz went ahead and pulled out a chair and Della patted Dex's back as she made her way towards her seat that would be across from Dex. Dex looked at Fitz.
"Come on, sit down." Fitz said, his tone teasing.
Dex smiled as he bit his inner cheek, sitting down in the chair Fitz pulled out.
"Thank you..." Dex said as Fitz tucked the chair in.
Fitz took the seat beside Dex.
Biana sat across from Fitz and Dex looked at the table which was filled with a variety of foods.

Dex was unsure what to do, what he wanted and he watched as Della and Biana began to fill their plates. Fitz looked at Dex and he shuffled his chair closer to Dex, slightly leaning in.
"Want me to pick you out some stuff?" Fitz asked, his tone of voice sweet.
Dex felt his cheeks warm as he nodded.
"Please..." Dex mumbled.
Fitz smiled and sighed softly as he took Dex's empty plate and began to fill it with a variety of foods or things he'd like. Dex watched as Fitz filled the plate.

"So, Dex. How are things at Rimeshire?" Della asked.
Dex looked at Della and noticed Biana was already digging into dinner.
"Uh, chaotic as always." Dex smiled.
"My siblings are still causing trouble around the house while me and my dad keep experimenting with elixirs and gadgets."
Della hummed, nodding.
"Well, one day we must have dinner with your entire family." Della smiled at Dex.
"Hopefully Alden will be able to join, but...that depends on Fitz's decision when he comes out."

Fitz sort of tensed up and he set the plate that he stuffed with food in front of Dex.
"Thanks." Dex said softly, looking at Fitz and giving him a smile.
Fitz smiled back. "No problem. You don't have to eat it all."
Fitz began to fill his own plate and he glanced at Biana who was still eating.
"Do you have any manners?" Fitz scowled.
"What? Dad's not here to scold me or tell me to wait." Biana shrugged.
"Plus, Dex doesn't mind, do you?"
Dex was about to speak.
"See?! He's fine with it!" Biana smiled at Fitz.
Fitz grumbled and he began to bicker with Biana.

Dex held back a laugh as he glanced at Della who sighed, rolling her eyes.
"While my two immature children are fighting, let's talk." Della smiled at Dex.
Dex smiled back at Della.
"You don't mind it when they're like this?" Dex asked.
"They're siblings, siblings bicker." Della said.
"It's normal, even though my husband finds it improper..."
Dex hummed.

"Is...Lord Alden quite strict with this whole...nobility thing? Even at home?" Dex questioned.
Della seemed to hesitate and Dex sucked in a breath.
"Ah- sorry, no that's none of my business!" Dex exclaimed, shaking his hands.
"You don't have to answer that, Della! I apologise-"
"My husband thinks it's important to act perfect at all times. He likes to tell Fitz this more often." Della said.
Dex glanced at Fitz and Biana, who were not aware of their conversation.
Dex bit his lower lip.
"Perhaps...we could talk about this when we're alone?" Dex suggested, his voice sort of quiet.
"I'd like to hear your perspective on all of that, without them...well, getting weird about it."
Della smiled and nodded. "Of course, Dex. After dinner, I can make us tea. We can chat."
Dex smiled back.
"That sounds wonderful, thank you."

"Huh? Wait, but he's my boyfriend! I want to hang out with him!"
"Fitz, dear...you can hang out with Dex after we've chatted, if he isn't tired that is."
"Yeah, plus you see Dex everyday! You need to relax, Fitzy."
"Wha- I'm not allowed to want to hang out with Dex in the comfort of my own home?"
"Looks like we need to hide out in the library more often then Fitzroy."
"Hide out in the library...?"
"Ah! Uh...ignore me Della!"

*****

Dex watched as Della poured tea into a cup and handed it to him.
Dex smiled awkwardly as he took the cup.
"Thank you..." Dex said, blowing on the tea before taking a sip.
"Of course, Dex." Della said, pouring herself a cup of tea too.
Della relaxed into the couch, holding her cup in her hands on her lap.
Dex felt more comfortable to lean back into the couch as Della seemed to allow herself to relax.

"I thought you'd share the same thoughts as Lord Alden." Dex said, fiddling with the cup.
Della softly sighed.
"I love Alden, I do." Della said, looking at Dex.
"He just has higher standards from our children, more specifically Fitz because he's the image of our family now."
Dex bit his lower lip.
"He's not gonna be happy Fitz is dating a guy who's family is seen as outcasts, is he?" Dex frowned at Della.
Della took a sip of her tea, sighing again.
"Knowing Alden? No, he's not." Della said.
"But I think if we ease into it, if we slowly convince him or send signals, he'll change his mind. He loves his children, he wants Fitz and Biana to be happy, but he'll need time."

Dex took another sip of his tea.
"You know Lord Alden better than anyone else." Dex shrugged.
"So, I guess I shouldn't be over often..."
Della smiled at Dex and she set her cup down. She shuffled closer to Dex and rested her hand on his knee.
"You're welcome to visit, as long as you don't act like a couple in front of my husband. I know you care deeply for Fitz, and I can see how he feels about you." Della said.
Dex blinked as he glanced at Della's hand on his knee and at Della's face.
He couldn't help but smile.
"I'm glad Fitz has at least one parent to rely on." Dex said, setting his cup down.
"I mean, my parents are supportive of whatever me and siblings are, or what we do, so...I don't fully understand Fitz's struggles. And my parents love Fitz, especially when he's over. Fitz also seems to enjoy my dad's presence."

Dex fiddled with his hands.
"How close is Fitz with Lord Alden?" Dex asked, looking at Della.
Della seemed to hesitate.
"Fitz looks up to his father." Della said, taking her hand away from Dex.
"And he's always wanted a close relationship with him. To be able to hang out with him. But my husband was always busy with work, with also finding Sophie in the Forbidden Cities."
Dex stared at Della as she spoke of this. He could see some sort of pained emotion in her eyes.
"Fitz offered to help out with that investigation to hang out with his dad. It...sort of worked. But Alden has always put pressure on Fitz to be perfect, even when Alvar was with us still."
Della rubbed her eyes and groaned.
"He's...it's not the healthiest relationship. I've tried talking to Alden but he won't listen or he's too busy with work." Della said, looking at Dex.
"Fitz has told me about your father too, how it was hanging out with him. I think Fitz looks up to Kesler in a fatherly way, more than Alden. But since Alden is his biological father, he's doing as much as he can to please him."

Dex sighed out and ran his fingers through his hair.
"I'm sorry if you felt uncomfortable talking about this, Della-" Dex began.
Dex looked at Della who was smiling at him.
"Don't be sorry. You're a sweet boy, you're perfect for my Fitz. You just want to understand his emotions a bit better, and I know it's more difficult to ask him directly. But...you should talk to him about this. Let him know he can rely on you for whatever problems he has." Della said, her voice soft and gentle.
Dex smiled at Della.
"Thank you...uhm, would it be okay if I were to go up and just hang out with Fitz?" Dex asked.
Della softly sighed and nodded.
"Go ahead, Dex. I hope we can chat again soon." Della said. 
Dex got up and nodded.
"I hope so too. Thank you again, dinner was really lovely." Dex said.
Della smiled as she watched Dex get up and walk off, leaving the living room.

*****

Dex loved being so close to Fitz.

At the moment, they were just cuddling in Fitz's bed. Fitz had his arms around Dex as Dex laid on top of his chest.
"Sooo~ what'd you talk about with my mother?" Fitz asked, looking at Dex.
Dex sighed out as he snuggled closer into Fitz's chest. Fitz smiled as he brought up a hand to play with Dex's strawberry blonde hair.
"Nothing much, just a bit about you." Dex said.
"She's really sweet, I'm glad she's accepting of us." 
Fitz placed a kiss on top of Dex's head and Dex lifted his head to look up at Fitz.
"Yeah, well...now we gotta deal with how to tell my dad about this..." Fitz sighed.
Dex hummed, softly smiling.
"Your mother said we have to ease him into it." Dex said.
"So...don't feel pressured, Fitz."
Fitz bit his lower lip.

"I still feel weird, him not knowing." Fitz said.
"But I know he'll well...shout at me and that kind of stuff if he finds out..."
Dex stared at Fitz as Fitz kept ruffling his hair.
"Do you think he'd be okay with you liking boys...in like, general?" Dex asked, tilting his head.
"Hah, I don't think he would." Fitz shook his head.
"Even if I liked a guy who was as prestigious as I was...he still wouldn't be happy."
Dex bit his lower lip and frowned as Fitz smiled at him, but Dex could see the sorrow in Fitz's eyes.

"...We'll be okay." Dex said, sitting up.
Fitz furrowed his eyebrows as he sat up too, now resting his hands on Dex's waist.
Dex gently cupped Fitz's cheeks, using his thumb to caress them.
"Yeah? You think so?" Fitz questioned, smiling at Dex.
Dex nodded.
"I know it." Dex said.
"As long as we're together...I think we can deal with anything."
Dex leaned in and pressed his forehead against Fitz's.
Fitz softly sighed.

"Haha, god, I love you." Fitz smiled, wrapping his arms around Dex.
Dex felt his cheeks heat up and he smiled.
"I love you too." Dex said softly, leaning in closer.
Fitz leaned in too and their lips met. They began to kiss and it really was sweet and gentle.
Every single time they'd kiss, it was just so...perfect.

Dex couldn't image anything to go wrong at this point. He was happily dating Fitz, Fitz was happily dating him too. They held hands and acted like a couple in public, Dex had dinner with Della and Fitz and Biana while Fitz had dinner with the Dizznee family.
And their kisses never lost their sparks, nor the way it effected how Fitz and Dex felt. Their hearts beat so fast, so loudly and their stomachs wouldn't lose the butterflies. Their minds always became fuzzy when their lips locked.

The kiss lasted for a few moments before they both pulled away. Dex bit his lower lip, smiling. 
"I need to go home-" Dex began.
"Noo..." Fitz whined, holding Dex tighter and closer.
Dex laughed and he looked at Fitz who hid his face in his shoulder.
"Fitz, my parents are gonna get worried!" Dex exclaimed.
"Ugh, but I wanna kiss you more." Fitz frowned as he lifted his head to face Dex.
Dex smiled and he rolled his eyes.

"If you're so desperate to spend more time with me... how about a date next week?" Dex asked.
Fitz raised his eyebrows.
"You're gonna plan a date?" Fitz asked.
Dex shrugged.
"I have an idea of what I'd like to do with you...but I want it to be a surprise!" Dex exclaimed.
Fitz smiled.
"Mmh, okay. I look forward to our date then." Fitz said.
"Great." Dex smiled.

"So, can you let me go?"
"Uh, no."
"Fiitz! C'mon! I gotta get home!"
"This is your home now!"
"Pfft, I don't think your dad will be happy with that."
"I'll hide you in the closet."
"You're the one hiding in the closet."

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 2290

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

143K 1.6K 29
Who will she choose? The handsome boy she has crushed on for years and who seems to be perfect in every way? Or the sweet, broken boy who always supp...
210K 2.5K 33
-DISCONTINUED- Clairebear: Welcome to my react book. We have awkward teenagers, thinly veiled shipping (Oh, who am I kidding? There is no veil.), and...
99.4K 1.3K 26
Fitz is a Prince. Literally. Being the son of legendary King Alden is tough work. What with helping Sheriff Fintan track the Neverseen AND the notori...
13.5K 372 16
Dex goes to Foxfire with his friends. Sophie, Tam, Biana, Linh, and Keefe! THEY ARE BESTIES!!! FOREVER! YAH! But...Fitz is always there. ALWAYS. He r...