Chapter 32

Dex smiled as he admired the 'imperfect' vase he had on the corner of his desk.
He and Fitz painted it yesterday, and then exchanged it today since it was dry and ready to just go home.

Dex didn't have any flowers or anything in it, but he was thinking maybe he could make some fake flowers and place them in there until Fitz gave him flowers again to store in it.
The wonky pot had abnormal colours as well, Fitz stated that since its shape was weird, why not paint it with strange patterns and colours? Well, the colours weren't strange, they were all bright or neon, but it was a strange arrange of colours.
He loved the strange shaped object. Mostly because it was from Fitz and because Fitz really did put in his best effort to make it look as good as he could for Dex.

It was perfect and Dex was going to treasure it forever.

*****

Della hummed as she set flowers in the vase which Fitz had already poured some water in.
"This really is a lovely vase, Fitz." Della said.
"You need to thank Dex for giving it to us."
Fitz smiled as he watched his mother was arranging how the flowers looked.
"I will, I mean, I did give him one too but...mine wasn't as perfect as his." Fitz said.
Della smiled at Fitz.
"Can you tell me all about it at tea?" Della asked.
Fitz smiled and nodded. "Of course, I'd be happy to."

"What is this?"
Fitz and Della looked over to see Alden enter the living room.
"When did you buy another vase-?" Alden began to scowl.
"Mother didn't buy it." Fitz said, looking at his father.
"It was a gift."
Alden looked at Fitz.
"A...gift?" Alden questioned, raising his eyebrows.
Della looked at Fitz, unsure where he'd be going with this.

"Uhm, yeah." Fitz nodded.
"F-from...me."
Della felt a twinge of guilt but stayed silent. Alden obviously wouldn't like it if he found out Dex had made and gifted them a vase.
"From you? You bought your mother a vase?" Alden questioned.
"Well...I made it." Fitz said, hesitating before he lied.
Alden stared at Fitz and glanced at the vase.
"..."

Alden went over to Fitz and ruffled his hair. Fitz blinked, a little surprised as he looked at his father who smiled at him.
"I didn't know you could make something this nice." Alden said.
"I'm proud of you, Fitz."
Fitz felt a wave of positive emotions overcome him and he smiled.
Alden then looked at Della and Della gave Alden a smile. Alden smiled back before he turned away and left.

As Alden left, Fitz felt that wave of emotions disappear extremely quickly.
It didn't feel as meaningful as when his mother said it to him a few weeks ago.
It didn't...stick with him.

"You didn't have to lie." Della said.
"This could've been a good start to ease him into...how special Dex is to you."
Fitz looked at his mother and smiled slightly. Della seen how fake his smile was and frowned.
"He'd throw out that vase. I want to keep it for as long as I can." Fitz said.
"Plus, he thinks I'm perfect. If he found out I made a wonky vase for Dex? He'd be...he'd be disappointed."
Fitz averted his gaze from his mother.
"I'll come down later on for tea. I need to do some stuff in my room."
Della wanted to say something more, but she didn't know what else she could say.
"...Of course. Go on, my love. I'll let you know when it's time for tea." Della said.
Fitz nodded at his mother and quickly turned away, walking off.

Della sighed and she looked at the vase. She traced her fingers against the outline of the vase.

"Worried?"
Della looked over to see Biana who just appeared on the couch.
Della smiled.
"Did you use your ability to spy on us again?" Della questioned, making her way over and sitting next to Biana.
Biana smiled. "You caught me~!"
Della sighed softly and Biana rested her head on her mother's shoulder. Della brought a hand up to Biana's head and she played with her hair.

"Dex is perfect for Fitz." Della said.
"He brings out...a lot of different sides to Fitz, he's way more happier... but your brother is afraid of your father."
Biana bit her lower lip.
"I know." Biana sighed out.
"I just hope...things will be fine. Fitz and Dex really are perfect for one another."
Della sighed.

"Your brother needs to have a bit more courage."
"My brother needs to not be an idiot for once!"

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 720