A Couple of Trials (ZeLink)

By Kenlair

Book 2: The Couple Series **Slightly More Mature** After having defeated the Calamity and reliving the hars... More

Chapter 1: Another Morning, Another Nightmare
Chapter 2: The Inessential Princess
Chapter 3: An Uneasy Restlessness
Chapter 4: Late Night Insecurities
Chapter 5: Meeting with the Mayor
Chapter 6: Weighing Options
Chapter 7: A Task from Purah
Chapter 8: A Potential Job Offer
Chapter 9: A Little Chat with Prima
Chapter 10: Shopping Day
Chapter 11: First Day on the Job
Chapter 12: A Simple Test Ride
Chapter 13: Resting Unassured
Chapter 14: A Dirty Job Well Done
Chapter 15: A Twisted Confrontation
Chapter 16: The Balancing Act
Chapter 17: Late Night Practice
Chapter 18: The Weekly Drunken Splurge
Chapter 19: Wallowing in Humiliation
Chapter 20: The Second Serving
Chapter 21: An Irrational Concern
Chapter 22: The Great Snowball Fight
Chapter 23: Cracks in the Façade
Chapter 24: The Age of Burning Fields
Chapter 25: A Passionate Traveler
Chapter 26: The Alluring Maid
Chapter 27: The Sick Princess
Chapter 28: A Familiar Face
Chapter 29: The Altercation
Chapter 30: So Close
Chapter 31: A Stubborn Realization
Chapter 32: Celebration Preparation
Chapter 33: Misguided Jealousy
Chapter 34: Old Habits
Chapter 35: The Drunk Knight
Chapter 36: The Freezing Point
Chapter 37: Snowed In
Chapter 38: A Challenging Toast
Chapter 39: A Stinging Realization
Chapter 40: The Manifestation of Anxiety
Chapter 41: The Royal Beating
Chapter 42: Tainting the Snow with Red
Chapter 43: The Homestead Struggle
Chapter 44: Dire Moments
Chapter 45: Being Better
Chapter 46: The Thread of Life
Chapter 47: Betting on Hope
Chapter 48: Cotera's Blessing
Chapter 49: Making Amends
Chapter 50: Coming to Terms
Chapter 51: The Desire to Heal
Chapter 52: Finding Enjoyment
Chapter 53: Mending Connections
Chapter 54: Two Decisions, One Goal
Chapter 55: Personal Journeys Begin
Chapter 56: An Advisor's Heartening
Chapter 57: A Prince's Responsibilities
Chapter 58: A Start in Kakariko
Chapter 59: The Absence of Anxiety
Chapter 60: Welcome to Lurelin
Chapter 61: A Hot Springs Healing
Chapter 62: The Council's Judgment
Chapter 63: The Precious Ceremony
Chapter 64: A Wish of Luck
Chapter 65: The Trial of the Sword
Chapter 66: An Evening Serenade
Chapter 67: Dealing with the Financial Elite
Chapter 68: An Unrequited Adoration
Chapter 69: The Misty Castle
Chapter 70: The Teachings of Twilight
Chapter 72: Royal Formalities
Chapter 73: Truth of the Matter
Chapter 74: The Perch of Tabantha
Chapter 75: The Feathered Bard
Chapter 76: Ruins From a Time Before
Chapter 77: The Teachings of Time

Chapter 71: The Rumor Mill

1K 17 12
By Kenlair

"Good luck, Link, and do your best. I know, whatever it is the sword has prepared for you, you will overcome it all. I love you, and I can't wait to see you once it's over."

Opening her eyes, Zelda picked herself up from the purple-winged sword she had been kneeling in front of. Still clutching the Silent Princess, she stared down at the legendary blade until a small voice spoke.

"You're in love with Mr. Hero?"

"Hm?" Zelda hummed in reply, looking down at the ground near her feet, where she noticed a small creature resembling a bean at her side. She smiled. "Well, hello there, little one. I haven't seen a Korok in quite some time."

"Hello, Miss Princess!" the Korok said cheerfully, bouncing on its stubby legs. "Answer! Answer! Are you in love with Mr. Hero?"

"Mr. Hero? Is that what you all call Link?" she giggled.

"Yes, just like you are 'Miss Princess!'" the Korok cheered before again asking, "Are you two in love?"

"Yeah, yeah! Are you in love?" a few other Koroks asked as they ran to her other side.

"Yeah, are you? Shakalaaaaa!" a much louder voice said from behind, causing Zelda to jolt slightly. She quickly turned to find a Korok so large he towered over her. She had never seen one this size before.

"Oh my," Zelda said in surprise before quickly collecting herself. "Yes, I am. I am very much in love with Mr. Hero."

"Oh! Shalakaa!" The large Korok cheered as the others bounced around Zelda's legs in celebration.

"Are you guys going to get married and have babies?" one of the Koroks asked, making Zelda furiously blush in surprise. "That's what people in love do, right?"

"Oh... Um... Y–you're quite informed, aren't you?" the princess managed to say. "I... Well... I think it's a bit too soon to be thinking about that, but... M–maybe one day..."

"𝐈 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐞𝐧𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐰, 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐬..." a deep, rumbling voice suddenly said from above. Zelda looked up at the Great Deku Tree, his bark creaking as he continued to speak. "𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐣𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐲 𝐬𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭, 𝐢𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭?"

"Yes, I have," Zelda replied, a little guiltily. "I must get back to my friends."

At this, the Koroks around her whined, with a notable "Shakaaaaaa..." coming from behind her. Giggling, she turned back to the little beans—and one large bean—surrounding her.

"I'll return later," she said to the forest children. "I promise."

"Will you really?" one of the Koroks asked.

"Without a doubt," Zelda said.

Though they sounded disappointed, a wave of approval murmured through the group of forest children. Giving them another kind smile, she reached down with her free hand and pulled the Sheikah Slate from her hip. With the screen brightening at her touch, she looked down at the flower resting between her fingers before allowing it to disappear in a string of blue lights. After another tap, her body did the same.

*     *     *     *     *

As snow lightly fell from the sky above, the Outskirt Stable staff continued to do their jobs, whether it was moving hay, feeding the horses, or chopping down the leafless trees for wood to burn and keep the stable warm. While it was definitely harder work this time of year, those who worked at this stable felt at ease, for they were spared from most of the harsher winter winds thanks to being at the base of the mountains that surrounded them. As snowflakes slowly fell around and on the tent-like structure of the stable, the stablemaster—wiping his nose of the mucus that had built up from standing in the cold behind his desk—gazed at the moon, though it was barely visible through the darkening mass of clouds. It wasn't until a woman with long hair as white as the snow falling around them appeared that he finally pulled his gaze away from above.

"Welcome, welcome, Miss!" the stablemaster said when the woman walked up to the desk. The woman seemed shaken by his words, which slightly put the clerk off, but nonetheless, he continued. "What can I do ya for?"

"Y-y-yes–! O-oh, g–good e-e-evening... U-um..." the woman stuttered, clasping her hands together in front of her so tightly her fingers were turning as white as her hair. "D-do you m-m-mind b-b-boarding our h-horses for the n-n-night?"

"Our?" the stablemaster repeated.

He looked over her shoulder to see two other women: one with short, golden hair and the other with brown bangs and a ponytail. Both were holding the reins to three large horses; one a strong white stallion, and the others were a couple of mares, shaded teal and black, respectively. Noticing his gaze, both women acknowledged him with a quick wave and kind smiles—noticeably more confident than the one in front of him—before he looked back down at the white-haired woman. While still a little surprised at her skittish demeanor, especially compared to the other two, he kept his smile all the same.

"I suppose you mean the three horses standin' behind ya?" he asked. The woman nodded.

"Y-yes, p-p-please," she stammered out, having a difficult time maintaining eye contact. "A-a-and t-three beds f-for the n-n-night, i-if that's o-okay..."

"As long as ya have the rupees for it, that's fine by me," the stablemaster said, deciding against having her go to the inside desk to repeat her request to purchase a few beds for the night. "The boarding is free of charge. I just need...sixty rupees for all three of ya. Unless ya want a soft bed."

"A-a-a s-soft bed? I... U-um..." the woman repeated uncertainly, only saved by the brown-haired girl a distance away.

"Regular is fine!" she called helpfully.

"Gotcha," he said, still speaking as though the white-haired woman was the one to speak, though nodding to signal to the two behind her that he understood. "Then that'll just be the sixty."

"Y-yes... J-just a– Ah!"

Almost dropping the bag she had pulled off her waist to get rupees, she eventually handed three red gems to the stable master, who tipped his hat in appreciation.

"Please enjoy your stay," he said before calling out to some of his employees. "Oi, Trott! Canni! We got three of 'em!"

At the summons, two employees appeared—one a tall, gaunt man who came out from inside the tent-like building, and the other a woman from the side of the stable where the horse feed was kept. The two cheerfully stopped before the brunette and golden-haired women, taking the reins to their horses before pulling them behind the building. As the horses and their guides disappeared, the two women joined up with their nervous friend, and one of them happily wrapped an arm around her.

"Look at that, Paya! You did it!" Celessa said cheerfully as she guided the Sheikah into the warmth of the stable's interior.

"T-thank you, b-but I barely got a word out without tripping over myself..." she said disappointedly. "I even almost dropped the rupees..."

"But you didn't drop them, and you properly paid," Celessa said with a smile. "I'd call that a success. Besides, no one is perfect when they first try something new."

"She's right. I had trouble doing basic cleaning when I first started working at the inn," Zelda chimed in, following at their side toward the beds they had purchased. She instinctively chose not to mention the one person she did know who could do things perfectly on their first attempt. "I believe you did a wonderful job up there."

"Y-y-you think so?" Paya asked, taking a seat on one of the beds.

"You did! You got through the whole conversation, and he's a man!" Celessa said, deciding to sit at a small, round, wooden table near the row of beds. "We know you have an even harder time speaking to men, so the fact that you offered and managed to get through it all is nothing short of amazing."

At her words, Paya blushed, giving a small and almost confident smile of pride.

"T-thank you..." she said quietly as Zelda began prepping the bed next to Paya's.

Exhaling a deep breath, Zelda lay on the sheets in exhaustion, taking a moment to close her eyes and rest before reaching down to take the Sheikah Slate into her hands. Sitting up against the headboard, she began to scroll through the slate's album. The ruins of Goponga Village in the Wetlands, the remains of Mabe Village in Hyrule Field, the forgotten soldiers station of Gatepost Town, and finally, the decaying walls of the Great Plateau; all places she had snapped pictures of during the last few days of their journey through Hyrule.

"Did you get a lot of good pictures?" Celessa asked as she leaned lazily back in her chair. "It looked as though you were taking quite a few."

"I did. At least, that's what I'd like to believe," Zelda replied, still swiping through the slate's album. "I was originally taking so many to ensure Hudson had all the necessary visuals for reconstruction planning, but at some point, I got lost in the process. I forgot how much I enjoyed taking pictures with everything that's been going on the past few months..."

"Would you look at that? The princess is having a good time. Who would've thought I'd be right?" Celessa teased, to which Zelda smirked. Holding the slate up, she aimed it at the lazing pilgrim, who gazed back in confusion before hearing a click from the ancient device. "Hey! Did you take a picture of me?"

"As a matter of fact, I did," Zelda teased in return. "The lighting was just too perfect not to."

"My hair is a mess and my clothes are filthy!" Celessa cried. "I know I look awful!"

"I actually believe you look fine," Zelda said with another teasing grin. "I think I'll keep it."

"Oh, come on, Princess! Please, get rid of it?" Celessa begged. Zelda hummed in thought for a moment before lightly shaking her head.

"Nope," Zelda chimed.

"Seriously? There's no way it looks good, the lighting you said is perfect is the dim candle up there!" Celessa whined. "Get rid of it!"

"Nope. It's mine now," she teased again. Celessa blinked.

"So... You're going to keep that despite my plea?" she asked.

"That's the plan, yes. It's something you would do, isn't it?" Zelda asked, now returning to the rest of her photo album. "It's more fun this way."

"You know... I'm proud of you," Celessa laughed. "Fine. Keep that awful image of me, but I'll find a way to get one of you in return, mark my words."

"Oh really? You know how to work the Sheikah Slate now?" Zelda asked without looking up from the screen. "Beyond just teleporting places?"

"I can figure it out! It can't be that complicated," Celessa assured.

"Be careful. You don't want to get yourself hurt," Zelda said, now scrolling through their remaining resources.

"What? You really think I could hurt myself trying to take a simple true-to-life image?" Celessa asked.

"It's possible," Zelda said. "You could stop yourself in time, accidentally magnetize something metal toward you, blow yourself up—"

"I could blow up?" Celessa asked in surprise, making Paya widen her eyes in fear. It was the only thing they understood in the list Zelda had rattled off. "That thing's a bomb? You never said anything about it being a bomb!"

"The slate itself is not a bomb. It simply creates bombs using the energy stored within itself that you can detonate on command," Zelda explained. At these words, she paused, blinked, and thought for a second before adding, "Celessa, I highly recommend not trying to get your revenge without knowing how this device properly works. I was being coy before, but I'd rather not see you actually blow yourself up trying to snap a simple image of me."

"R-right... Understood..." Celessa said, now both her and Paya nervously eyeing the potentially lethal device in her hands.

The fact that the princess could tap away so nonchalantly on a time-stopping, magnetically-powerful, tap-on-command bomb was astounding—and nerve-racking—to both of them.

"If you'd like, I can teach you how to use it properly," Zelda said. Now that the idea had dawned on her, her eyes sparkled in delight as she looked at Celessa in glee. "We could make a day out of it! I never actually get to use the slate properly! I know of all its abilities thanks to Link and Purah's explanations, but I only ever got to try the detonation feature once! I'd love to test out its limits at some point. I find it fascinating that such a little device can do so much. It breaks so many of the natural laws that our world functions with! What do you say?"

"Um... Well..." Celessa stammered, staring into Zelda's ever-brightening emerald irises. She managed to glance away, looking at the bomb in her hands before almost unwillingly answering, "I guess that could be...fun... As long as I don't blow up..."

"Oh, yes! It'll be an exciting time!" Zelda cheered happily. "Don't be afraid; you'll be just fine under proper supervision."

"Do you count as proper supervision? You said you didn't get to use many of those features at all..." Celessa mumbled, but the princess had returned to scrolling through the slate's inventory once more, now cheerfully humming one of the tunes that would play during the weekends at the inn. "Well, I'm glad you're excited..."

"I-if I may ask, w-what are you looking for, Princess?" Paya asked, noticing Zelda's continued perusal of the slate.

"Nothing in particular," the princess answered. "Just keeping track of our supplies, though we are starting to run a bit low. It may be best to stop by the Kara Kara Bazaar on our way to Gerudo Town to restock on some necessities."

"Speaking of that, I am very happy you chose to go to the Gerudo Desert first," Celessa spoke up from her chair. "Sure, Rito Village was closer, but it's sure to be freezing up there still, and I could use a break from the cold."

"While I'm happy to hear you say that, I chose Gerudo Desert first because I know the leadership there personally," Zelda explained. "Honestly, I'm not sure how to go about talking to the Rito Village elder. He still has a hard time believing Link is the hero from a hundred years ago. I'm not sure how to convince him I'm also the princess from that era, even with Paya's presence..."

"I-I'm sorry..." Paya whispered guiltily, prompting Zelda to tear her gaze away from the screen.

"It's not at all your fault," she said sternly. "I promise. He's just a very stubborn Rito, is all... Actually, I take that back; it is a bit unfair. To believe two Hylians who look so young are not only a hundred years old but royalty and a chosen hero would be challenging for anyone. Even with both of your help, along with Robbie and the Zora, it's astounding everyone has believed us so far."

"The fact that they have just means we've been doing a good job, right?" Celessa sighed, still relaxing in her chair. "Let's just enjoy the warm weather coming up, and we'll worry about the Rito later..."

"You say enjoy, but the heat in the desert can get pretty brutal," Zelda said, remembering the time she and Link had traveled through the dunes of the Gerudo Desert a few months back during the monk's trials. "It's a dry heat, so we'll have to make sure to stay well hydrated. Otherwise, we're in for a difficult time."

"D-do you think we'll make it?" Paya asked nervously.

"Without a doubt. If things get too hard, we can always use the Sheikah Slate to teleport us directly to Gerudo Town," Zelda said, having returned to checking their inventory.

"Oh! I want to get a Gerudo outfit! Like the one Jules had at the inn on Link's birthday!" Celessa said excitedly. "That was Gerudo, right? It was such a beautiful set. I'd love to have one."

"A Gerudo outfit?" Paya asked curiously.

"It's a really colorful set of garments the Gerudo wear. It's made of silk," Celessa explained. "I hear they even help with adjusting to the weather since the material is so thin!"

"Oh right, you've never been this far west before, have you?" Zelda asked from her bed. Celessa shook her head.

"I've mainly traveled in the east, where the three springs are," she explained. "Today was my first day seeing the Great Plateau up close. I was hoping I'd be able to catch a glimpse of the Temple of Time, but I guess it's too far to see past the walls..."

"I'll take you there another time, promise," Zelda said with a giggle. "We can get up there easily with the slate."

"Much appreciated," Celessa said with a smile. Taking a deep breath in relaxation, she looked down at the table. "Hey, there's a copy of the Rumor Mill here! I wonder what volume this is..."

"The Rumor Mill?" Zelda asked as Celessa took an open book from off the table's surface.

"You've never heard of it? That's surprising," Celessa said. She held the booklet up for Zelda to see properly.  "It's a book series, written by a special reporter named Traysi. She keeps track of the gossip happening and prints them for us to read. There aren't many copies since it's really just her, but they do help keep us informed! It was actually volume eight that notified me of your appearance in Tarrey Town all those months ago."

"Really? That's fascinating," Zelda exclaimed. "To think that even in this era, there are still messengers. What did this volume eight say about my appearance?"

"From what I read, the author was last trying to meet the Gerudo Chief to find her next story. Apparently, she heard the Yiga had stolen something from their chief, but the Gerudo kicked her out of the town for snooping. She stayed, trying to get in, when she heard rumors that the Yiga attacked Tarrey Town. Long story short, she headed there, got some inside information from a reliable source—"

"Hagie," Zelda claimed nonchalantly.

"Probably Hagie after what we heard when in Tarrey Town," Celessa answered. "At the end, she gave it two stars."

"Two what?" Zelda asked curiously, looking up from the slate.

"Two stars," Celessa clarified. "It's a sort of interest rating. She rates out of five stars on interest and/or possibility of a rumor being true. She gave your story two stars because she didn't have solid proof that the princess of Hyrule had returned, only word of mouth. All she could confirm was that a Yiga went to Tarrey Town that day and spouted nonsense before leaving. Unfortunately for her, she didn't have access to Master Impa like I did."

"I see... Hopefully, we can meet her," Zelda said, returning her attention to the Sheikah Slate. "If she has a reach of readers across Hyrule, that would greatly help get the word about reconstruction out more effectively. If we can convince her, that is..."

"The last volume mentioned that she'd head back to Gerudo Town to try and get more answers about the Yiga's plans," Celessa said. "Maybe we'll see her! She chose to follow the Yiga again because she felt she was on to something big. Let's show her that 'big thing' is you!"

"I wouldn't necessarily call myself the 'big thing,' more so the rebuilding aspect of things would be—" Zelda tried to clarify, but Celessa giggled in excitement.

"If need be, we can bring her to Master Impa for that solid proof she wants," she said thoughtfully, now flipping through the pages of the booklet in her hands. "If Paya isn't already enough, that is."

"I-I-I'll do my best..." Paya said, though it was clear the thought of convincing someone who sounded so important intimidated her.

"Don't worry too much about it, Paya. It'd be amazing if we actually ran into her," Zelda said soothingly. "Gerudo Town is a bustling place. To run into one person would be incredibly lucky, and that's assuming she got into the town this time. It sounds like she's been rather unfortunate during her last attempts."

After receiving a somewhat less nervous nod from Paya, the princess smiled and turned her attention back to Celessa.

"What volume of this Rumor Mill would you happen to be reading now?" she asked.

"Volume...three, The Weird and Wonderful Spirit Koroks," Celessa said after looking at the booklet's front. "Apparently, there are these little creatures called Koroks that live among us, hidden in various places across Hyrule, like under rocks or leaves. Supposedly, only a few people can see them, so they're more of a rumor than anything else. I guess Traysi isn't one of those people who can because she only gave it three stars. I wonder if they actually are real."

"They are," Zelda said simply, having returned most of her focus to the Sheikah Slate. At this, Celessa snapped her attention directly at her.

"They are? You can see them?" she asked.

"I can, though I haven't found one in the wild under a rock. Now that you mention that, I think Link said something about finding Koroks when we were in the desert after he took his first trial at Vah Naboris. No, they usually are all in the Lost Woods with the Great Deku Tree. I spoke to a few of them after trying to catch Link before the Master Sword took him away. I even made a promise that I'd return to them."

"Of course you and Link would be able to see them. Now that I think about it, that's not surprising at all," Celessa said. "What do they look like?"

"They look like... Um..." Zelda hesitated, trying to find the right words. "Green little...tree sprouts? Green little tree sprouts, with stubby legs and leaves for faces."

"That sounds disturbing," Celessa responded.

"They're a lot cuter in person, I swear that to you," Zelda assured her. "They're like little children, cared for by the Great Deku Tree."

"Man, you and Link get to see all the interesting stuff around Hyrule," Celessa admired as she returned to the booklet's pages.

At this, Zelda giggled as she continued swiping through the inventory, now counting up how many bottles of water they had for the trip through the desert, though her mind had subconsciously started to wander.

Trasyi, hm? As slim a chance as it would be, it would be nice to run into her. It sounds as though she truly does have a strong knack for publication and research...

Before long, both Paya and Celessa (who had gotten into a bed to lay down after finishing her found copy of the Rumor Mill) had both fallen asleep. Zelda eventually followed suit after turning the Sheikah Slate's screen off.

After resting for the night at the Outskirt Stable, the three continued their journey toward the desert. They entered the mountain range that surrounded the Outskirt Stable, venturing deep into the canyons the road twisted through. Eventually, the white snow around them vanished, and the stone turned from gray to yellow. Looking up from the slate for a moment, Zelda glanced at both Celessa and Paya, who were marveling at the canyon's view, staring at the large mountain walls on either side of the road, along with the natural stone archways connecting the two cliff sides. Once another day of traveling had concluded, the three arrived at the stable near the end of the Gerudo Canyon, where the following morning, they departed again for the desert .

"Whew... It already feels a bit hot, doesn't it?" Celessa asked, wiping sweat from her brow as they walked through the remaining portion of the canyon. "It is still winter in the desert, right?"

"It may be, but the seasons are already starting to change," Zelda said, watching the map on the slate as they walked. "Spring is only in a few weeks' time. I told you to be wary of our journey through the desert."

"Yeah, through the desert itself, not before even reaching it," Celessa sighed.

"You should be fine. You're wearing shorts," Zelda said, ignoring Celessa's comment about feeling sweat between her thighs. "Are you alright, Paya? I believe your thick clothing is the worst suited for this kind of weather."

"It's...a bit hot..." Paya managed to get out as they climbed. "I'm sorry..."

"It's no trouble at all," Zelda said kindly. "It may be best to skip the bazaar for now and teleport straight to the town, though... I'm sure both of you will want to see this sight before we do."

"The sight?" Celessa asked, paying attention to what was further up the path.

Her brow furrowed before noticing the texture of the rocks had changed. Both sides of the canyon drew together as the path narrowed, forming a smooth archway at the end, with a crack down the center from age.

"What's this?" she tried to ask as they drew closer, though her question was answered the moment they stepped underneath the arch. Both Celessa and Paya gasped.

A vast ocean of sand stretched before them. The seemingly endless dunes sparkled in the morning sun as a warm breeze blew past.

"I-it's really all s-sand..." Paya stammered, overwhelmed by the sight before her. "Th-there isn't any grass, o-o-or water... I-it's–"

"–nothing but sand..." Celessa finished, her tone filled with the same cadence of awe as she stared out into the distance herself, watching as loose sand blew across the dune's surface. "Where are we even going?"

"All the way out there," Zelda answered, pointing out into the distance.

Both Paya and Celessa squinted to see through the desert haze before noticing the faint outline of a structure barely visible in the distance. Its shape resembled a square, with three tall, bulbous towers piercing the skies.

"That is Gerudo Town, home of the Gerudo, of course."

"That's...kind of far," Celessa said, still squinting to see the town in the distance. "Maybe we should just teleport..."

"I... I think w-we..." Paya said, though her words were fading the more she spoke. Noticing this, Zelda looked over to see her balance becoming unsteady.

"We will be teleporting," the princess practically commanded, moving to help keep Paya on her feet. "Paya's clothing is too thick for this weather. We need to get her into something lighter. Celessa, take the slate and teleport us to the shrine closest to Gerudo Town."

"Right," Celessa answered quickly, taking the slate from Zelda.

"I-I'm sorry..." the Sheikah managed to say quietly, but Zelda shook her head before holding out a free hand to Celessa.

After a few taps of the screen (noticeably more careful than she originally would have been now knowing what the device was capable of), the pilgrim took Zelda's hand before tapping one final time. Turning into a string of blue lights, the group disappeared, reforming only when the river of lights arrived at the shrine Celessa had chosen. The city that had been so far in the distance, barely visible through the sand and haze of the desert, now stood right behind them. The pale sandstone walls were so high, the palace within couldn't be seen from where the trio stood—not that they were trying to get a glance at it currently. With both Hylians helping to keep the Sheikah between them on her feet, Zelda pointed down the side of the wall.

"The entrance is there, where the two guards are standing," she said as she started to guide Paya off the shrine's platform.

"The two guards... I'm assuming it's the two with the spears," Celessa clarified, mimicking the princess's actions as they stepped into the sand. "Are they wearing heels? In sand?"

"Questions for later, Celessa," Zelda said sternly, to which Celessa guiltily nodded.

They stumbled across the shifting sand, trying their best to keep Paya from falling, before finally coming to the entrance. To their surprise, though, upon their arrival, there were not two people standing at the entrance, but three. Two of them—the guards—were the tall, dark-skinned, muscular women with spears Celessa had noticed from the shrine. Maybe it was due to the guards' impressive height that all attention was naturally drawn to them, or maybe their bronzed skin and bright red hair were easier to see through the pale sand, but standing before them was another woman with her own fair skin seemingly blending in with the sandstone around them.

The moment the princess and company were within earshot, it was clear the conversation happening between the woman and the guards was not a welcoming one.

"—don't understand why I can't be let in!" the woman said loudly, stamping her foot into the sand beneath her. "You let me in perfectly fine before!"

"And you were effectively banned not long after," one of the guards said, glaring down at the shorter Hylian with an intense gaze. Raising her spear, she slammed the end of its handle into the sand, yet this seemed to energize their visitor even more.

"I was just trying to get more information on a story I was publishing! Is that so wrong?" the woman asked, refusing to back down despite the guard's clear intimidation tactic.

"Beyond wanting all who read your publication to know of our personal tribulations," the second guard responded, "trying to sneak into the palace to get that information for it didn't help ease our concerns, Hylian vai."

"Only because you wouldn't let me in, just like you're doing now!" the woman complained. "The world deserves to know what's going on, no matter where or who they are!"

"And you plan to do that by sneaking into the palace?" the first guard asked, raising an eyebrow.

"If I must!" the Hylian woman replied.

This only resulted in the two guards clanking their spears together by the handle, forming a cross that blocked the entrance. The woman furrowed her brow in frustration, stamping her foot in the sand again, yet the spears did not budge until the trio arrived.

"Excuse me, I apologize for the urgency. We need to enter Gerudo Town quickly," Zelda said the moment they stopped before the Gerudo guards. "My friend here, she's not used to the weather, and she's wearing really thick clothing. We need to get her some proper attire now."

"Don't bother trying to rush inside," the Hylian woman growled, crossing her arms. "They'll probably think you're with me, seeing as they're being so very careful about who they let in these days—"

"Princess Zelda! It's been quite some time since we last saw you," the second guard answered, cutting the Hylian off. This made the Hylian woman's eyes widen. "I'm sure Chief Riju would be pleased to see you again. Head right in, and find the Fashion Passion quickly for your friend there. Coming to Gerudo Town in such clothing was a foolish decision, considering the dry heat in the desert."

"It's a mistake we won't make again. Thank you–!" Zelda began as the guards moved their spears out of the way of the entrance, yet before she could finish, the Hylian beside them cut her off.

"Princess Zelda?" she exclaimed, looking the princess up and down. "You couldn't possibly be!"

"She is, if the guards' reactions weren't enough to convince you," Celessa chimed in. "But our other form of proof is on the brink of passing out at the moment, so if you'll excuse us, we need to get moving."

Figuring their interaction had come to an end, Zelda and Celessa nodded to the guards in thanks before moving to help Paya through the entrance. Before they could step inside, the Hylian woman behind them reached out, grabbing Zelda by the arm.

"Wait! Wait, wait, wait!" she yelled loudly, tugging them to a stop. At this, the guards at each side readied themselves, pointing their spears at the woman, yet she paid the weapons no mind. With steady eyes, she stared at the princess's surprised emerald irises. "You're seriously Princess Zelda?"

"We've been through this—" Celessa said, frustrated at the woman's persistence in stopping them, yet the Hylian woman continued, still staring sternly at Zelda.

"If you are, then I need an interview and proof," the woman said. "If the princess has allegedly returned, then it's my duty to spread the word."

"Release the princess at once!" the guards said sternly. "Can you not see that her acquaintance is suffering? Neither the chief nor the princess have time for your silly publication—"

"Publication?" Zelda repeated. "As in the Rumor Mill? Are you its author, Traysi?"

"I sure am, but don't think flattery is going to get you away from my questions," Traysi said, still ignoring the spears pointed at her.

"Hey, I'm a big fan and love your work, but," Celessa spoke up, "as we said before, we have a friend here who needs different clothing—"

"Celessa, take Paya to the clothing store," Zelda said, keeping her eyes firmly on the reporter's sharp ones. "If it's the same as a hundred years ago, the shop should be the first stall to the left. I'll stay here and talk to Traysi."

"Princess?" Celessa asked, but quickly catching on, she nodded. "Alright then. Come on, Paya..."

Readjusting herself to allow Paya to lean most of her weight on her shoulder, Celessa guided her into Gerudo Town, leaving Zelda alone with Traysi and the Gerudo guards.

"Princess, are you sure you wish to speak with this woman?" one of the guards asked. "To Gerudo Town and the chief, you are still considered the princess of Hyrule, and even if you weren't, as Chief Riju's friend—"

"I appreciate your concern, but as the princess, I actually must have a word with Traysi," Zelda said calmly, while Traysi still kept a firm grip on her arm. 

"Are you sure, Princess?" the second guard asked. When Zelda nodded, both Gerudo looked at each other before pulling their spears away from Traysi, who hadn't batted an eye at them. "Very well then."

"Thank you," Traysi said, finally releasing her grasp on Zelda's arm.

Now that Zelda was paying attention, the woman's features had become clear. She was a woman of average height and taller than Zelda—as most Hylians were. Her long brown hair was tied into two braids in the back, her face and jawline were strong, and her narrow eyes were filled with confidence, matching the slight smirk on her thin lips. Her clothing seemed similar to Celessa's, though the colors were slightly more mismatched—a sign of practicality, chosen for their function rather than their fashion. Noticing she was being inspected, the reporter gave a thin smile.

"You've got an eye for detail, don't you?" she asked, catching Zelda off guard.

"If I may ask, what do you mean by that?" she asked, but Traysi had already begun her own inspection.

Humming, she began to circle the princess, tapping her cheek as she looked her up and down.

"Golden hair... Green eyes..." she mumbled as she looked. "You definitely match the description of the ancient princess... Your clothing is of the highest quality I've ever seen. Hm..."

She took Zelda's arm again and held it up, ignoring the hardened eyes of the guards around them.

"It's rare to find this type of clothing in Hyrule in this day and age," she said, inspecting the bright blue threads of Zelda's sleeve. "Those who have it have usually scavenged it from the castle in Hyrule Field, if they're crazy enough to try and slip past all of the monsters in there, and if they somehow survived, the clothing they did manage to make it out with always showed signs of wear or deterioration... Yours looks to be in perfect condition. Hm..."

She dropped Zelda's arm, bringing her finger to her chin in thought.

"That alone isn't proof enough, though..." she said thoughtfully. "The princess would technically be over a hundred years old, but the reports I've gotten do say when she was discovered in Tarrey Town, she still looked like a young woman. Hard to believe, unless you consider the special power it's said the princess had. I always believed it to be a load of nonsense, but..."

She stopped in front of Zelda again, returning her gaze to the princess's emerald eyes.

"If you are the princess, can you display some of this special power she was said to have used a hundred years ago?" Traysi asked. "It's said that the Great Calamity was stopped due to her power, but those are stories from a century ago. Even the legend of the Sword that Seals the Darkness is up for debate since it's never been seen. What do you say? Can you show me?"

"I... I can't," Zelda said. "I was only able to use it when necessary, and that was back then, though I've been told I used it once a few months ago, but—"

"Hm, I see, I see," Traysi said, reaching down to the pouch she had on her belt. Opening the bag, she pulled out a little notebook and writing implement, where she began scribbling down what Zelda could only assume was what she was mumbling. "Woman...claims to be princess... Has a few...defining features, but...no...solid...proof..."

Zelda couldn't help but feel as though she were talking to a much younger, reporter version of Purah.

"Such ignorance," one of the guards spoke up in response to the reporter's mumbles. She glared at Traysi, who hadn't bothered to look up from nor stop her note-taking. "In case you already forgot, the Gerudo have already accepted her as the true princess who saved us from the Calamity Ganon. To think you'd question our ability to determine who she is right in front of us—"

"And how did she prove it to you?" Traysi asked, only now deciding to meet the guard's glares. "Did she show you her powers? Any authentic, undoctored picture from a hundred years ago, maybe? Or did you simply take her word for it? I find it hard to believe the Gerudo would accept some random woman's word that she's an ancient, important figure. Tell me, how did she gain your trust?"

"If you must know—" the agitated guard began, yet the other guard called out her name.

"Dorrah," she said sternly. "Remember the circumstances as to how we've accepted the princess's true identity."

"Ah, sarqso," the guard said. "I apologize for my outburst. I expect you remember them as well, Princess?"

"I do," Zelda answered.

She remembered exactly how it was the Gerudo came to accept her identity—it was because of Link. At least, that's what had been explained to her. It was when the Yiga had first reappeared, and she and her lover had gone their separate ways for a few days without her input, approval, or accord. Link, in an attempt to rally the Gerudo for their assistance to take on the Yiga in their own territory, had revealed himself not only to be a male within the city, but also the Hylian Champion carrying the Master Sword. Only the guards knew this, though, and if that were to be publicized, the rest of the town would find out. There was no telling how they'd react, and this was something Zelda understood.

"So you do have proof," Traysi asked, responding to the small interaction the guards and Zelda just had. "What, are you going to keep that from me too?"

"I do have proof," Zelda said. "As a matter of fact, it happens to be my friend I was helping before you stopped me."

"That friend of yours, you say?" Traysi asked. "And what's she have to do with this?"

"I'll tell you, if you agree to my conditions," Zelda said. "I guarantee you will get all the proof you need to believe I am who I claim to be, enough to satisfy your publication in the Rumor Mill. However... I need you to come with me into Gerudo Town and be patient."

"Really now?" Traysi asked with a devilish grin, but before Zelda could continue, one of the guards behind her spoke up.

"Princess," the one known as Dorrah said sternly. "While we do recognize your title, your suggestion is worrisome. Not only does this jeopardize what we just warned you about regarding how we came to accept you, but having her follow you into this town is a direct overrule of the banishment placed on her. This brings your authority into question, especially if you aren't being held to your title."

"My title happens to be the reason I'm here," Zelda said, turning to the guards. "I've come to talk to Chief Riju regarding the possibility of Hyrule's reconstruction. I know you've forbidden Traysi from reentering the town, and I do understand the repercussions of what sensitive information would potentially be given to her, but if you'd please allow her in regardless, I'll make sure she doesn't overstep her boundaries."

"And what assurance could you give us that this doesn't happen?" the second guard asked. "If she were to publish the truth, not only would we guards be in trouble, but it's possible the rest of the Gerudo would question— Well, I'm sure you can already piece it together."

They'd possibly question Chief Riju's competence as a leader, Zelda thought before replying. "All I can give you is my word. That's the best I can offer, and while it doesn't make my assurance any stronger, I'll take full responsibility for her actions."

"And why go to such lengths for this...reporter?" the guard asked.

"Because I need her for our reconstruction plans," Zelda said, turning back to look at Traysi, who looked skeptical herself despite her clear glee at the possibility of being let into Gerudo Town again. "The Rumor Mill is a respected publication, from what I've heard, one that'll allow me to spread the news more effectively beyond simple word of mouth. She'll enable far more unification than I could achieve alone, and much more quickly. With her help, we can give those in Hyrule the prosperity they deserve and have been denied these past one hundred years."

"Hm... Certainly talks...like...a princess..." Traysi mumbled, writing in her notebook again. Upon hearing this mumble, the guards gave Zelda a questionable look.

"The way you describe her influence makes her sound like she could be one of your most valuable assets, something I find challenging to believe..." one of the guards said. "You're truly confident in this claim of yours?"

"I am," Zelda replied. At this, the guards looked at each other before nodding in agreement.

"So be it, but remember," Dorrah said. "Her actions are your responsibility. It would be nice to stay on good terms with you, princess, especially given our history."

"Thank you. I swear on the three golden goddesses, you won't regret this decision," Zelda said with a light bow.  "I'll ensure she doesn't publicize the truth regarding how you came to know."

"That's a big claim, you," Traysi said from behind, gaining the attention of all three behind her. "You have an awful lot of faith that I won't publish a juicy story in the Rumor Mill, so much that you'd claim I would listen to your request not to. Why is that?"

"Hylian vai! The princess is giving you a chance! For you to mock her efforts right after she vouched for you—!" the second guard began to shout, beginning to lose her own temper, but stopped when Zelda started speaking.

"Because I'm choosing to trust you," Zelda said simply, her gaze stern. "My friend Celessa spoke highly of your work, and from what she told me, none of your writings had any ill intent."

"Of course not. What do you take me for?" Traysi asked with a frown. "My publication is important to me because it keeps us all connected. I'm proud of it for that very reason—"

"Then our goals align. I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to trust you," Zelda chimed in. "I believe once I tell you the truth regarding how the Gerudo have come to believe who I am, you won't want to write about it. However, I believe I have more than enough proof to satisfy you and your writings, excluding their particular story."

"Another bold claim..." Traysi said, twirling her implement between her fingers. "Princess or not, you're an interesting one, trusting someone so easily..."

"To be fair, I only learned the value of true trust recently," Zelda admitted. "It goes both ways. If I want those in my life to trust me, then I must put faith in them, as well."

"Hm. Cheesy..." Traysi said, making another quick scribble in her notebook just before closing it. With a hum, giving Zelda another look up and down, she gave a thin smile. "But, I'll accept it for now. Fine, Princess. I'll accept your terms and conditions. However—"

She twirled her implement in her hand before pointing it at Zelda.

"—you'd better have some amazing proof for me. If I'm not only supposed to write a story about the princess's return, but have to retract my own statements from volume eight about finding the rumors from Tarrey Town regarding the princess's return as potentially false, I'll need some serious evidence."

Zelda gave her a small smile of her own before turning back to the guards.

"Does that suffice?" she asked. The guards looked at each other, still hesitant about whether or not letting the self-proclaimed reporter inside was a smart choice. Regardless, they stepped aside, allowing the two Hylian vais entry to their home. With a satisfied nod, Zelda turned toward Trasyi. "Do we have a deal then?"

Placing her notebook and writing implement back into her front pouch, the reporter held a hand out to the princess, which Zelda grasped and shook.

"Deal."

Gerudo Town was a beautiful place—an oasis in the center of the dry, scorching desert. While the town itself wasn't much cooler, unlike most of the surrounding desert, it had flowing water. The water that blessed the city ran everywhere, even across the tops of the walls, creating waterfalls as they flowed into canals that led around and under the town. Much of this water could be seen flowing through the canals of the town's center, where palm trees grew tall, and vendors sat with stalls covered in colorful silks and fabrics. One of these vendors ran a clothing store, the Fashion Passion, where one fresh, white-haired visitor was currently being dressed.

As the pilgrim waited outside the building, watching the palm trees sway above them, the deep purple curtains of the shop's front entrance cracked open to reveal the face of a smiling, long-nosed, dark-skinned woman with the same vibrant red hair as the guards standing at the town's front. The moment she heard the curtains open, Celessa excitedly turned around to meet the Gerudo's gaze.

"She's ready!" the woman—clearly the shopkeeper—said excitedly. "Ah! I've never dressed a Sheikah woman before! Okay, okay, okay! Here she...is!"

The shopkeeper jumped from behind the curtains and stepped aside, only to reveal an empty room. Confused, she stepped between the entrance again and looked around before finding who she was looking for.

"Um, dear, you're supposed to step outside," she said in a soothing but rather confused tone. "You know, so your friend can see you?"

"I-I-I c-can't!" Paya's voice squeaked from inside.

"Paya, come on! These clothes are beautiful!" Celessa called, placing her hands on her hips. "They're so silky and colorful!"

"A-a-and revealing! A-a-and breezy!" Paya softly called back, barely audible from inside the building. "I feel so e-e-exposed..."

"Everyone wears these in Gerudo Town!" Celessa called back. With a sigh, she stepped toward the entrance, tapping on the shopkeeper's shoulder for her to step aside before disappearing into the darkness herself. "Come on, Paya, you can't wear your regular clothes here, and even if we were to give you a Hylian Tunic or something, you aren't used to this type of weather at all! You need the best type of clothing you can get, and that's Gerudo-made silk! Now come...on..."

"W-w-w-w-w-wait–! Ah!"

Walking backward, Celessa reappeared from the shop, tugging the white-haired Sheikah by the arm out with her. Exposed to the desert sun, Paya stood visible in her new clothing—a white, silky outfit with a top that exposed her midriff and breathable pants that exposed her calves. As the Sheikah wailed, covering her red face in embarrassment, Celessa cheered.

"Paya, you look so pretty! It matches your hair perfectly!" she said, yet Paya's face remained covered. "Come on, why so shy? We've taken a bath together, remember?"

"Y-y-you aren't the o-only one here..." Paya managed to stutter out from behind her palms. The pilgrim, however, seemed to have already moved on.

"You wouldn't happen to have a green set, would you?" she asked the shopkeeper, handing over a handful of rupees. "It'd be nice to match what I'm already wearing in some way."

"I sure do!" the Gerudo shopkeeper said excitedly, and after guiding Celessa into the shop, the pilgrim reappeared only a few minutes later with a matching outfit, only differing Paya's by its green color.

"It's amazing! I feel so free!" Celessa said, looking down at herself. "It's no wonder Jules bought herself a set–! Paya, stop hiding your eyes. You look good!"

"And you look good, as well," a familiar, proper voice said from behind. As Paya peaked between her fingers, Celessa turned to see the princess she had left behind walking toward them.

"Princess! Welcome back," Celessa said cheerfully, along with the shopkeeper giving her own greeting behind her. "Are you going to get an outfit, or do you already have one? They're amazingly beautiful— Hey! She made it through!!"

"I sure did, with your 'princess's' help, that is," the Rumor Mill reporter said as she and Zelda stopped before them. Celessa furrowed her brow.

"You still don't believe she's the princess, huh?" she asked, folding her arms in disapproval. "You'd think the Gerudo would be proof enough..."

"The princess? The princess of Hyrule from a century ago? That rumor about her visiting Gerudo Town a few months ago was true?" the shopkeeper quietly asked Paya, who only nodded behind her palms.

"I'm sorry, but the guards claiming that she is the princess isn't proof enough for me at all," Traysi said sternly, responding to Celessa's words. "You said you were a fan of my work, didn't you? Then, you should be well aware of the amount of pride I take in getting proof. I need solid evidence. Are you saying you just blindly trusted her when you first met?"

"I... Uh..." Celessa hesitated.

"She did not. She went to get clarification from someone who knew me a hundred years ago—Lady Impa, an elder of the Sheikah." Zelda said simply, which caused Celessa to frown guiltily. "Which isn't a bad thing at all. Doing your due diligence and finding such proof is necessary and is, in fact, something I respect. I just wish you weren't so...strong-armed in your methods."

"Well, sorry to disappoint, but I have to be," Traysi snorted. "I was originally visiting in regards to the Yiga Clan. First, they steal from the Gerudo Chief, then they appear in Tarrey Town upon the claim the princess has returned, and suddenly, they vanish. If you are the princess who was there in Tarrey Town half a year ago, then I'm sure you understand the dangers?"

"We do, both Celessa and I," Zelda said sternly.

"Then you should understand why this is so important," Traysi explained. "If the Yiga are getting bolder, then people need to know."

"The Yiga are taken care of," Celessa spoke up. "The Princess's knight handled it—"

"Celessa," Zelda quickly said, stopping the pilgrim's words. At this, the Gerudo shopkeeper, who had been standing by their stall watching the conversation unfold, raised a curious eyebrow.

"The princess's knight?" she asked. "I heard the Yiga were dealt with by us Gerudo."

"Did you now?" Traysi asked, reaching for her front pouch that contained her journal. "Can you tell me more about that—?"

"Excuse me! I promised you answers in return for patience," Zelda said quickly, giving the journalist a stern, yet nervous, look. Traysi stared at the princess for a moment before sighing, removing her hand from her pouch and opting to place it on her hip instead.

"If your friend hadn't said she met the Sheikah elder..." she mumbled.

"You're choosing that as a reason instead of the promise you made to me?" Zelda asked, before sighing herself. Turning away from the reporter, the princess bowed before the shopkeeper. "I'm sorry, but it's not something we can really talk about. It has to do with Chief Riju, so if you would please keep what you heard to yourself, I'd be in your debt."

"The Chief was able to calm Vah Naboris to keep us safe earlier this year," the shopkeeper said. "For that, I am grateful and trust her completely. I'll keep what I heard quiet... However, if you tell me you're in debt to me, then... Let me dress you, please!"

"D-dress me?" Zelda repeated.

"Of course! I want a chance to say I helped the princess choose an outfit from my shop!" the shopkeeper said excitedly. "Do you know how great that would be for business?"

"O-oh, I see. It most certainly would be, but I already have an out—" Zelda began, yet Traysi cut in with a grin.

"A deal's a deal, Princess," she said. "You're in her debt, right?"

Zelda turned and glared at the reporter before facing the shopkeeper and agreeing to the new outfit. Excitedly, the shopkeeper practically dragged the princess behind the store's curtains, leaving Celessa and Paya alone with the reporter.

"Must you be so heavy-handed?" Celessa asked roughly. "She got you into Gerudo Town—"

"—under the claim that she's a princess," Traysi said, unfazed by Celessa's sudden sharp tone. Catching the pilgrim's eye, however, she exhaled in frustration, "And not just any princess, but the princess. Do you understand how big of a claim being the princess from one hundred years ago is, especially while looking so young? Are you aware of how much that could change the way things currently are?"

"She wants to take her title back to do some good for everyone who's left in this land—" Celessa began, yet Traysi cut her off.

"—and that requires people's trust," she retorted. "She wants my help spreading the word using the Rumor Mill; a great plan, but one that could be taken advantage of very quickly. People trust my writing—enough to blindly follow in many cases—but that isn't what I want. I want to give them only the best information so they know what they're subscribing to is nothing short of absolutely trustworthy."

Frowning, the reporter looked back at the curtains Zelda and the shopkeeper had disappeared behind.

"The Rumor Mill was originally just that—rumors based on whatever I found interesting, if given enough evidence, but ever since the Yiga became so active, the crazy mechanical beasts roaming around, all the monsters that have grown in population..." she explained. "I've even done rumors on the royal family themselves, but we need more than just rumors now, and the Rumor Mill will need to become something more.

"That's why I've been chasing these big stories because something is going on that people can't see, and if this girl is who she says she is...then it all revolves around her. She's not just the answer to everything that's been going on but much of what's to come, too. I can't print something like that without knowing. Believe me when I say I don't like being so callous with her, especially when she does seem very kind and earnest. I don't even enjoy doing so with the guards, but all these events happening around us are important, and so many people in this land don't understand what's going on or are living in ignorance. That needs to change if she really is Zelda. I hope you understand."

Celessa opened her mouth to speak, yet nothing came out. She knew Traysi was a reporter, but to have put so much together without needing a Sheikah's or Link's guidance was nothing short of impressive. Unsure of how to respond, she glanced at Paya, who was still hiding behind her palms, before swallowing. 

"Y-you could still be a little nicer..." she said finally. "I know she's...asking a lot of you right now, but still..."

"I am being nicer," Traysi sighed. "I'm forgoing looking for hints, clues, or any other sources. I'm a reporter who's trusting one person to give me the entire story I need, and expecting it all to make sense enough to not just publish, but to also believe in myself."

Tearing her narrow eyes away from the curtains just as they opened, she looked Celessa in the eyes.

"I haven't asked you a single thing while she was gone, despite knowing you and that girl over there are prominent sources. Because I promised her," she said as the shopkeeper excitedly revealed the now silk-dressed princess. "Didn't you notice?"

"She's ready!" the shopkeeper called excitedly before Celessa could answer.

The Sheikah, pilgrim, and reporter turned, focusing on the princess before them, now clothed in the same outfit as Paya, though hers was bright pink.

"Oh, pink is a good color on you!" Celessa cheered, forcing Traysi's explanation to the back of her mind.

"Why, thank you, Celessa. I never thought to try pink, but I think I could get used to this," Zelda giggled before turning to pay the shopkeeper, who was still giddy over having sold an outfit to the princess of Hyrule. Once paid, the princess asked, "Traysi, would you like an outfit of your own?"

"Hm? No, thanks. I'd rather not spend the rupees," the reporter said, waving the thought away. "I have production costs of the Rumor Mill and my travels to think about—"

"You can borrow another set I have," Zelda offered. "I have two sets actually, one for myself and another for someone special to me—yes, you will find out who that is. Would you like to wear my blue set? It's slightly smaller, but these clothes are so loose fitting, I believe they'd suit you just fine."

"Hm..." Traysi hummed in thought, furrowing her brow. "You aren't trying to bribe me for support using expensive and fashionable Gerudo clothing, are you?"

"I'll most certainly be taking them back, if that's what you're implying," Zelda exclaimed. "That person spent good rupees on the outfit and gifted it to me. I just noticed how thick your clothing is and figured maybe you'd like something a bit more comfortable in such scorching heat, especially since I have the means necessary to provide."

Traysi frowned, debating what she should do, only for Celessa to speak up.

"Oh, come on," she grumbled. "Just take the outfit. We'll all match! It'll be cute."

"S-s-she really does care..." a tiny, muffled voice spoke out. Everyone turned to see the Sheikah speaking from behind her hands. "S-s-she just wants to make things e-e-easier for you... I-i-it is hot..."

After another moment in thought, Traysi sighed.

"Fine..." she agreed. "But don't expect this will make it easier to convince me of who you claim to be. I still expect all the details."

"Absolutely," Zelda nodded.

She held out her hand to Celessa, who immediately handed the Sheikah Slate over to her. With the slate now in hand, she tapped the screen, which illuminated in response, and after a few more taps, the original blue-and-teal Gerudo outfit she had appeared in a flash of blue strings of light. Traysi's eyes widened.

"Here you are," Zelda said, handing the outfit over to the reporter.

Though it looked as though Traysi's list of questions had increased a hundredfold, keeping her promise, she took the clothing and disappeared behind the shop's curtains to change. With the reporter out of earshot, Celessa inched closer to the princess, leaning close to her ear.

"So, what's your plan with her?" the pilgrim whispered.

"To give her exactly what she wants," Zelda answered quietly. "We'll answer all her questions and hope it doesn't jeopardize the trust the Gerudo people have in their chief. But before that, I must head to the palace and have a word with that chief. We came here for a reason, and that must be handled first and foremost."

"You said you and the chief were friends, right? I couldn't imagine it being that difficult, especially if they know who you are already," Celessa said, but Zelda frowned.

"When it comes to convincing the Gerudo to consider rejoining reconstruction, it's not Riju I'm concerned about," she said. "It's her bodyguard..."

*     *     *     *     *

Standing at the side of the leafy bed, Link stretched before looking around at the overgrown naval he stood inside. Rubbing his neck, he stepped across the wood and vines before stepping out into the beams of sunlight that managed to slip through the canopy of pink leaves above. Standing on the large root of the tree just outside the entrance, he placed his hands on his hips and took a deep breath, filling his lungs with the calming air of the forest and closing his eyes in relaxation before slowly exhaling. He stood in silence for a moment, listening to the rustling of leaves and the occasional childish giggle in the distance before his ears perked up at the sound of wood creaking around him.

"𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐭 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐦𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐥," a deep, rumbling voice said. "𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐯𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐚 𝐟𝐞𝐰 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬, 𝐚 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐈'𝐝 𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐯𝐞 𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐝. 𝐓𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐞, 𝐝𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐮𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮?"

"Yeah, I do," Link answered, knowing well it was the tree he stood on who spoke. Opening his eyes, he looked down at what rested in front of the tree root he stood on, embedded in a slab of stone, glistening in the morning sunlight. "I think it's time for the next set."

"𝐈𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭, 𝐚 𝐝𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐈 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠," the tree replied. "𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐦 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐚𝐛𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞."

"Thanks, though I think someone else deserves that first compliment," Link said. "I wouldn't have thought to rest without her."

At his own words, the image of the golden-haired girl he had grown to love so much appeared in his mind. After taking a moment to appreciate her, Link took another quick, deep breath before climbing down the large roots. Once down, he stepped onto the stone slab and stood before the magnificent, purple-winged weapon. Its blade began to glow, and though the sword itself was silent, the hero meant to wield it could feel its anticipation.

"𝐈 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞," the tree said, his shadowed eyes looking down at the hero and his sword. "𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐮𝐜𝐤."

Looking up at the Great Deku Tree, Link nodded before focusing back down on the sword. A light breeze blew around him, brushing his bangs and sideburns, which caused them to dance for a moment. Finally, his hand began to rise.

Wish me luck, Zelda, he thought as he gripped the green-strapped handle.

In a flash of light, he faded away, leaving just the Master Sword still standing in its pedestal.

Welcome back! New year, new chapter, time to finish this story off. If you didn't read the end of year note, we are coming to an end of ACoT. Don't get me wrong, we still have some ground to cover, but chapters are now between 25 and 45 pages long, so we're covering a lot, but because of that, we don't need as many chapters.

The book is coming to and end... the book. The story will continue. This year we'll be entering the next segment, the TotK story, which has a lot planned and even has art prepared already!

Thank you all for reading this far, lets end this story off nicely, shall we?

(also, in case you missed it, I did write a Christmas-ish fic for Zelink in December, it is canon to this series I'm writing. Go give it a read if you want a peek into Link and Zelda's pre-Calamity days.)

Thanks for reading, Kenny.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140K 3.1K 46
A story which both Zelda fans and people who don't even know what Nintendo is can enjoy. It's a princess's dream to be swooped away by her knight in...
460K 15K 43
"You will aid the hero during his journey in defeating Calamity Ganon." That was the order that was given to you by goddess Hylia. Although the godde...
60.9K 1.4K 78
Zelda and Link have defeated Calamity Ganon and are now free to go their own way. However, it is hard to get to grips with their past, which can get...
74.4K 2.5K 22
Link grew up his whole life believing that he was the Prince of the Gerudo. His whole life changes, however, when he is put in charge of deciding a y...