Don't Move

By micahbotha

One moment you're free and loving life, not caring to think what you might be doing to hurt someone else or s... More

My Life
The Breaking Point
Beginning of War
Trapped
Alien
Food Hunting
Searching For Safety
Robots and Memories
Lost and Confused
RUN!
Survival
Soldiers and Green Smoke
New Way of Life
Caring Duties
A Cycle
The Mothers and Father
Heidi and Tyler
Family Reunion
Leto's Return
The Memorial Event
Peace and Sympathy
Growing and Learning
Sector 8
More Opinions and A Strategy
Saving Baruch
A Familiar Face
Back in Time
Dangerous Disasters
Forgiveness and Loneliness

Politics of the Royal Family

0 0 0
By micahbotha

Three days after the procedure, the six of us are sitting in a room waiting for the results to be sent through.

Berli gets the results of Heidi's test first. "It is positive," Berli says with excitement and Heidi freezes as he hugs her. "When will we know more?" she asks with concern. "All the other results will come in later today," Berli says kindly. She nods nervously as Anax gets my results.

"Woah, it's positive," he says nervously and I look at him with a nervous look as I look down at my tummy. My stomach starts to churn as I think about the work to come that will be similar to Amoli's because she doesn't have a man beside her and I feel I won't either.

Alisha sighs, "It is negative again." Tyler looks at her sadness, "I'm sorry." She nods and walks out of the room to find James waiting excitedly for the information. Alisha bursts into tears as she hugs her father and he seems really hurt because of her sadness.

He whispers something to her and she nods excitedly as he says this. I realize at this moment that he may have favorites but he loves them all and will do anything to see them smile. He wipes her tears away and he glares at Tyler. Tyler gets the message and follows Alisha as she exits.

"And?" he asks with sadness in his eyes. "Positive for both of them," Anax says with a smile. Berli smiles proudly.

James hugs them both and does the same to both of us.

At lunch, we all enjoy a meal in silence until James announces our positive result.

Eden smiles smugly as me and Heidi seem to be a part of her side of the political game now while Ellerie tenses and Kamali frowns.

"When will we know the type of being?" Ellerie asks with worry. James smiles, "I have decided that we will wait until birth to know everything except if there is more than one of them." Everyone nods but seems unhappy about the decision being made.

All the results are then sent to James instead of us and the day goes on as normal.

The kids come home in a happy mood and enjoy their lunch.

Basilah is sitting with Norah and talking to her as she motions me over.

"Athena," she says kindly, "Norah wants to talk to you about something. She already got my opinion and the opinion of the other mothers. So let her know yours since you are to be a mother." I nod as Norah sighs deeply.

"I want to ask my father if I can meet the men before I choose," she says nervously, "I don't want to hate the guy and not have the same viewpoints. I mean I need someone to understand that I may be leader someday and have some sort of a leadership role until then so I don't know. What do you think?" "I think it is a great idea to run it by your father, but don't argue it Norah," I say kindly, "try to reason it and explain it in a way that he will understand not the way you think about it." She nods, hugs me and thanks me as she runs off.

I notice Imogen is frowning as she sits outside without anyone to play with, so I make my way over.

"You okay?" I ask and she shakes her head. "Did you tell your mum?" I ask her and she shakes her head, "well, you should." "I just want Leto back," she says with sadness in her eyes, "she played with me and none of the other like to even Udeline prefers to be with others a lot. Leto was nice." "You know what to do," I tell her kindly and she looks at me with confusion, "talk to your mother." She nods as she runs to do that.

I sit in the garden that goes for miles and notice the fence is so small from this distance. The sun creates the longest shadow that makes it bigger than it must be and I wonder how I got to this point. It is everything I never wanted. I never wanted to have a child. I never wanted to be a leader. I never wanted to marry someone I don't know. I never wanted to basically be a single mother and I didn't want to face the loss of another child.

My tears fall slowly as I remember Meadow, my brother, my mother, my father and the life I left behind. Then, I remember the peace I found after the war calmed down and how that vanished in an instant. This time my tears come faster as the memories resurface.

Someone hugs me and I return the embrace then I notice it is Tyler. I push him away quickly.

"No," I say seriously as I wipe my tears. "It's just a hug," he says with sadness in his eyes. "Please just don't make life harder than it needs to be," I say seriously, "we can be friends and talk, but don't touch me like that. We don't know their culture or anything, so just don't." He nods, "I understand. By the way, Alisha is bringing Leto here for a testrun again." I nod, "Good. Use it wisely." I make my way out of the garden to find Alisha and Anax watching me and Tyler.

I sigh deeply as Anax walks away hurriedly. Alisha just looks heartbroken.

She comes closer and in a broken voice asks, "Am I not enough? I know we hurt you, but I am not a bad person. Not everyone is bad. I just want this to work and you seem to have had your heart in many places, but I have only one and have only ever had one." Tyler sighs, "Alisha, I care about you and I am trying, but Athena is my friend and I am not trying to show more affection to her than I do you." She nods as she looks at me.

"I am sorry Alisha if I hurt you," I say sincerely. She shakes her head, "I am just broken by a lot of things you guys don't know about us. Life was hard under human rule and we hid for our lives. Anax hated humans so much, Athena, for the hurt they caused our family that he wanted to punish them but James told him that that is not how life works and that he refused to be cruel to that extent." I sigh, "I will go talk to him."

I knock on the door, "Anax?" "Come in," he says monotonously, "what do you want?" "I wanted to say I'm sorry and that I didn't do anything," I say honestly. He nods, "I know. It's not you I am upset with it's Tyler."

I realise that now is the only time I realise how much taller the Kerogen men and women really are as well as how strong they are.

"What will you do?" I ask him with concern as I stand by the door as he faces the wall. "Father wants to speak to us about something after dinner today," he says seriously, "and I am not sure yet. I just don't want to do anything I will regret." "He is hurt, Anax," I say seriously, "and he knows what I have gone through in life. He was trying to comfort me because we were best friends for our whole lives. He lost something too from this and a lot more than you know. We don't know each other, Anax, and if you did then you would know that everyone has gone through hell."

I make my way out of the room to find Amoli sleeping alongside Athena, but Athena starts to cry a very slight cry. I quietly rush over and pick her up to rock her without disturbing Amoli. I sit on a chair nearby as I rock her slowly. Ellerie walks in and smiles at me.

"She is beautiful, isn't she?" Ellerie asks me and I nod. "Why are you concerned?" I ask her and she sighs. "The first grandchild is Athena, but the next could be a boy which would rank me lower again which always seems to happen. If Eden's sons have boys that just makes her more powerful like she wants to be. It runs in her blood. Kamali is concerned too because Alisha seems to be struggling to have a child, which is a problem among Kerogen women sometimes." "Humans too," I say kindly and she smiles slightly. "I know, but, Athena, there is a real political struggle between the mothers," she says seriously and I agree with her. "I know, but I don't want to be a part of it," I say seriously. "Sadly, you are under Eden," she says sadly, "but I know you love Amoli too, so I know you are different which is great. Sadly, that can change anytime."

I sigh as she makes her way out and Amoli wakes up.

"Oh, Athena," she says as she groggily wakes up, "is she okay?" I nod, "She was just crying a little so I didn't want her to wake you." She smiles and takes the baby back in order to feed her.

At dinner, James makes the announcement after everyone eats.

"Anax and Athena will have one child, while Berli and Heidi seem to be having two," James says and Eden smiles gladly as she relishes in the attention as well as in the smiles and the frowns.

Everyone talks among themselves.

Basilah seems extremely unhappy. Alora seems worried. Ellerie, also, seems concerned even more now. Kamali seems to be breaking alongside her daughter Alisha.

Afterwards, James waits in his office for Anax and I.

"Father," Anax knocks and James allows him to come in. "Please sit," he says seriously, "as the royal heir to the throne I am entrusting you with the information of the new children to be born. When I was young my father did the same thing to me and I want you to be aware of what is coming because you need to be prepared to make decisions that can change the lives of those in the home. Ready?" "Yes father, I understand," Anax says politely and I nod as he looks to me for confirmation.

"You guys are having a boy," James says quickly, "all the other information like job and eye color will be found out at birth. The twins are both boys." Anax seems to tense and James smiles.

"Any ideas of what will happen? I want Athena to tell me," James says and Anax looks at him with confusion, "ruling is more than the man's job." "A power struggle," I say seriously, "cause three boys will be added to Mother Eden's side of the family and that could lead to anything." James nods and points to Anax who says, "Possible assassination attempts." I tense and my eyes widen as he says this, "What?" He looks at my fearful eyes, "No one from my mother's side will dare because it doesn't benefit them, but all the other mothers are a risk that is why we try to promote love and care amongst the siblings." James sighs, "It is true. That is why there are usually many mothers because children are attacked quickly. That is, also, why it is best that there are multiple leader children though it is rare that a female will be leader, but Norah is next in line unless a male leader is born." I nod, "But how do we protect them all?" James smiles, "We try to promote a family environment, so no competition, but it is harder than it seems."

"Father," Anax says after some time of thinking, "what about the other information?" "Oh, yeah," James says with a laugh, "types of beings. You guys are having a Kerogen while Heidi is having one Kerogen and one Human." My eyes widen as he says this. "What does that mean?" I ask him and he smiles. "Well," James says seriously, "that is your decision, Anax."

Anax sighs as his father says this and I put my hands on my face. I turn to look at him pleadingly but he avoids my gaze.

"Why should we keep them away from their parents?" Anax asks his father, "as long as they aren't influenced in the wrong way. If they are then they will be treated differently. If not then they can stay with the family and get their job the same as the better humans." I sigh in relief at his words. "I will hold you to that son," James says seriously and Anax nods.

Once we exit, I look towards Anax.

"Why did you decide that?" I ask him out of curiosity. "Mostly selfish reasons," Anax says with a sad expression, "I wouldn't want the same thing done to me or to my children." I nod, "Well, thanks anyways." We part ways and head to our separate rooms.

Basilah barges into my room and sits down on a chair.

"Yes?" I ask her as she sits there stiffly. "I am the least of the wives in terms of children," Basilah says seriously, with tears in her eyes, "if there are more sons born on Eden's side then I will be nothing." "Mother Basilah," I say seriously, "Father James loves all his children even if not equally. I am sure he loves all of you for giving them to him. Has he ever said or shown anything different?" She shakes her head, "He has always treated everyone fairly, but Eden acts like having sons is more important." I nod, "Father James doesn't show more favoritism to the boys does he?" She sighs again as she nods and makes her way out of the room.

I head to bed thinking about the decisions made and the competitive spirit that seems worrisome.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

852K 53.7K 25
• Watty's 2018 Longlist & Previously Featured on Wattpad • Isla hides letters in a tree which are uncovered by someone who starts responding to them.
360K 19.9K 64
**CURRENTLY A FEATURED STORY** highest ranking: #11 in Science fiction ❝true happiness is only achieved without freedom. There is a girl who wakes t...
4.9M 133K 28
This is the original, unedited version of Light as a Feather, Book #1. This book was the inspiration for the Hulu Original Series. The revised versi...
1.2M 70.9K 39
This is Book 3 in the Light as a Feather series. Book 1: Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board (available on Amazon & iTunes) Book 2: Light as a Feath...