Space Bunnies!

By Howie0107

Kai and Bodi are adventurers and brothers of a fallen tribe family. The two set off on their journey of explo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Kai & Bodi
Chapter 2: For Hire
Chapter 3: Sailing
Chapter 4: Kai's Dream
Chapter 5: Bodi & Moth
Chapter 6: Phantom Merge
Chapter 7: Jerk
Chapter 8: Docking
Chapter 9: The Plaza
Chapter 10: Bodi's Quiet Time
Chapter 11: Spire
Chapter 12: Maxion's Invasion
In Between The Lines
Chapter 13: M
Chapter 14: Probe
Chapter 15: The Mission
Chapter 16: Off
Chapter 17: Double-Back
Chapter 18: Farewell
Chapter 19: Today
Chapter 20: Turbulence
Chapter 21: Spiral
Chapter 22: Alone
Chapter 23: The Cave
Chapter 24: Cold
Chapter 25: Bones
Chapter 26: Help
Chapter 27: Forced Sabbatical
Chapter 28: Shapeshifting
Chapter 29: Catatonia
Chapter 30: Onward
Chapter 31: Bruce
Chapter 32: Solo
Chapter 33: Kai Is Busy
Chapter 34: Refugees
Chapter 35: Save
Chapter 36: Treatment
Chapter 37: Messages
Chapter 38: Scorpion
Chapter 39: One Plus
Chapter 40: Timeless
Chapter 41: Daedalus
Chapter 42: Knowing
Chapter 44: Prototype
Chapter 45: War!
Chapter 46: One Way
Chapter 47: Little Ship
Chapter 48: Deep And Dreamless Slumber
Chapter 49: Medical
Chapter 50: Final Chapter

Chapter 43: Accident

3 1 0
By Howie0107

Bodi and Kai made their way to the top of the hill, and it turned out that their 'savior' was no more than a shadow— a delusion, a mirage, imposed by the only tree in the entire landscape. Kai kicked the ground with his boot. "This is crazy. Bodi, what are we supposed to do? Those people down there are sick. I felt it. We're all in danger— I'm not sure what Yar wants with a bunch of Omeocoon, but it can't be good." Bodi surveyed the desolate landscape, disappointment etched across his face. The illusion of salvation vanished, leaving them with the harsh reality of their predicament. He took Kai's hand; it was a welcoming warmth.

"I don't know... but we need a plan, Kai," Bodi said, his gaze fixed on the sprawling Omeocoon settlement below. "One thing is for certain. We need to get off this ship and help those people."

Kai nodded, determination replacing frustration. "You're right, Bode. We need a vessel big enough to carry them all... So far, this is the only one in range."

Bodi rubbed his chin, "Not exactly... when I was making friends with the crew and looking at the master systems display. I found this large... room. Kind of like this one, but the doors open out into space." Bodi used his hands to describe this large room, and Kai immediately picked up on the signals. "Like a shuttle bay?"

"Yeah! Maybe there's something big enough in there that we can use to save everyone?"

"Well. Let's get down there and find out. We have to make a pit stop first. Narr's going to want to know what we're doing." Kai pointed out; his eyes drifted to the horizon. Kai squinted as he watched the holographic door generate, the same way that he and his brother entered before, but these men entered with large weapons strapped to their backs, not laser pistols, but rifles that looked unfriendly. "Bodi," tugged on his brother's arm as he observed the landscape. Bodi's attention was brought back to the present, and Kai's discovery spooked him— the horrid realization that the only way out was blocked simultaneously hit them as well. "Oh... my stars. We'll never get out now!" Kai panicked; the duo had nowhere to go; this tree was the only one for miles, maybe the only one in existence, except the tree stump, which was being used as a combination, desk, chair, and pillow for the residents— the next best thing was to hide underwater— but Kai's limited lung capacity made it an unfavorable solution.

Bodi and Kai watched as the group observed their surroundings; then, the six troops pulled from their belts some high-powered scanners, which would no doubt lead them directly to Bodi and Kai's position. "I have an idea," Bodi said; he pulled his brother down the hill, and Kai resisted; his brother was taking them directly toward the men. "Bodi? What are you doing?" Kai panicked, "You realize the guns are right over there?" Kai chuckled anxiously. Had Bodi lost it? In the past, Kai was just a little uptight... because he was older. But after being locked in a room for months, while Bodi was allowed to roam free, he was more versed in the ways of Destiny than he was. But Kai couldn't determine if he was giving up. No. He fell back into ranks with the other individual Omeocoon who were here, happily being scanned by the guards; they looked like they were used to it, holding their hands out and keeping their legs spread apart— like they were getting an X-ray scan at a spaceport. At the bottom of the hill, he smiled pleasantly and hoped they would... be... unobservant. Bodi was betting on the chances that these scanners weren't sophisticated enough to pick them up, hoping they were just for show, like how the crew pretending to be DP was a show.

"You're fine." The lead soldier informed disdainfully. The oblivious Omeocoon laughed it off like a child and continued in a different direction. The others were lined up, waiting for their turn. Kai was sweating as the guards came closer. "Bode... I'm scared." Kai whispered it was only days ago that Yar had sentenced him to 'psychiatric treatment.' Yar was a liar, a fake, a fraud, and everything in between. They'd already caused enough trouble, and Kai was not eager to find out what Yar had in store as punishment— he'd do to them what he did to these people; they were not normal. His omeosense was still making him feel dizzy. He wasn't sure how Bodi could maintain such a perfect mirage, "Just relax," Bodi snarled through gritting, smiling teeth. He tried to look pleasant. It was the third person who scanned Bodi and then Kai. She looked at her scanner. Nothing seemed to trip her alarm. She moved away, back toward the group, because Kai and Bodi arrived silently; they were the last scanned— the guards were discussing their results. It was a little mesmerizing how they compared results, exchanged opinions, disagreed here and there, nodding as someone made a good point, and then shaking heads when someone claimed to have the suspects, but finding the results didn't match the description, there were even a few laughs as they examined the residents messing around, this was cruel laughter.

Then it happened: the female guard arrived with the party of talkers, immediately pointed out Kai and Bodi, and showed the commander her scanner. The lead officer wrinkled his nose and sneered at Kai and Bodi. "Hey! You two! Get over here." He ordered. The plan was unsuccessful. Awesome. Kai's heart raced as the guards identified them, shattering their attempt to blend in with the rest of the residents. The lead officer's stern command echoed in the desolate landscape, and the pair, maintaining a combined composed demeanor, guided themselves toward the guards. It was better to surrender in one piece. The other Omeocoon watched in silent curiosity as the brothers approached the armed guards, hands raised.

"Well... well." the lead officer began, his hands on his hips as he eyed the duo. His sadistic face was activated, his eyes narrowing at Kai and Bodi. "You two are not from around here. Kai and Bodi. The Captain wants to see you." It was not a suggestion; it was undoubtedly chilling how the man knew their names, but the duo couldn't even begin to guess this person's designation. This guy was human, which further enforced that this was all counterfeit; this team was made entirely of humans— only a few humans were serving in the DP, all of them notable officers and captains because it was so rare for their kind to serve they usually excelled in comparison to other Dynamic Patrol species, bettered themselves trying to make a difference, instead of being a poacher like the rest. The leader's face was stern and hardened, like one of those statues of some old Earth figures; he had a naturally hideous face, and he looked angry all the time; at least, he looked like he did in the three minutes that Kai and Bodi were close to him. He also had coffee breath; Bodi possessed a potent sense of smell and thus could smell the man's exhaust from six feet away. He wrinkled his nose while he was in the presence of the man.

The officer scrutinized them further. "Welp, time to go; I hope you like solitary confinement. I heard that Omeocoon siblings are close— seeing you two break will be quite enjoyable. You deserve it after putting us through the trouble." Bodi's tail coiled as he stuck his tongue out in disgust, "Yeah? Ok? Have you ever heard of a breath mint? I mean... seriously... it's a common option on most food synthizers."

"Bodi." Kai frowned, "What? Can you blame me? His breath smells like garbage." The guard decided that he'd had enough of that. His pride was wounded. He signaled his men, and sure enough, they pulled out a couple of pairs of handcuffs, no doubt laced with the ability to stop a shapeshifter of the Omeocoon variety. He would cuff Bodi personally because he was annoying.

As a guard moved closer, Kai instinctively stepped back, "No, not again... please." He almost whined. The guard showed no sympathy. "Stop it!" He growled, this was a junior 'officer.' He didn't understand what he was doing. He roughly pulled on Kai's floppy ears. The bunny yelled in pain, and eventually, more than one guard was suddenly required to restrain him. Bodi was about halfway into his cuffs before his head turned back over his shoulder; he felt a pang of fury... he was so angry, so full of hatred it was unbelievable, and unlike him— Bodi was a peaceful soul, never wanting conflict. But something about seeing them get rough with his older brother was so overwhelming that spit flew from his mouth as he yelled, "Get off of him, you bastard!" Bodi used the cuffs to his advantage; he pulled the small chain closer to where he had a good range near some skin. Bodi, without having the ability to shapeshift half of his body due to the present position of the cuffs on one of his wrists.

Violently, unforgivingly, he channeled all of his anger and hatred towards Yar, his crew, and his mission into one vicious bite into the man's hand. The strength of his jaw was so horrid it drew blood, and his bite was perfect, connecting with the radial and ulnar arteries. Blood squirted onto Bodi's face in high-pressured drops, and the man screamed in agony; tears welled up in his stern eyes as he punched Bodi in the chest; the bunny grunted and clutched his chest right away as he tripped over his heals and fell down. The other guards stared in horror as the leader tumbled backward like Bodi, but his fall went further and was much more unforgiving; he tripped over that same tree stump used by the other Omeocoon. And then he fell over it, the base of his skull colliding with the hard ground. While that grass might've looked like grass— underneath it was the actual deck of the very much real ship— the titanium flooring of the cargo bay crushing his skull, and as he fell. Additionally, a loud snap was heard as soon as he landed.

Everyone gasped; they were dumbfounded. The female guard scanning Kai and Bodi moved over, her scanner working— but this time for a different purpose. The device chirped as it studied for life— but reported back the telltale sound that no one wanted to hear but everyone in the galaxy could recognize. Flatline. It's not like it was difficult to tell; the man's head was angled inwardly, his chin connecting with his chest unnaturally, and his eyes were open and lifeless, staring up at the female guard and past her into the sky without effort. She closed the clamshell scanner and looked at Bodi, who'd scrambled to his feet.

"You killed him." She stared, shocked, like she was looking at a rabies-infected rat, a cockroach, or some pest of equal hideousness.

"I didn't!" Bodi countered immediately; he stomped furiously against the ground; the other guards glared; now, it was personal. "Shoot him! Shoot them both!" The female yelled; she was now the troop leader if the chain of command applied correctly. Kai jumped slightly; they would kill Bodi if he didn't move fast enough! This was his sole thought. Protect. He stomped on the foot of one of his handlers because they were still in shock from the death of the original leader. Thus, Kai could hurt his own guard and overpower the other. Kai grabbed Bodi's wrist and pulled him away painfully. Bodi was absent-minded; his heels were practically dragging as Kai bolted for the door. They were not even paying attention to the barrage of gunfire behind them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

194 17 7
A guide to the world of Codename Alpha, and the planet Valdera, home to a bunch of bipedal bears, dogs, cats, and hyenas. The little you do, and the...
127 0 25
The story of Blake Thunder, the former member of the now defunct Golden Fang Clan continues! Blake has found peace and love in his life once again af...
15.2K 618 27
A disaster aboard the starship Valiant leaves the crew stranded in orbit of an alien planet's moon, and an expedition to the planet takes a turn for...
57 18 16
Gauge and Polly, a team serving in the dynamic patrol in the year 2499. This story is set well after the events of 'Gel: Squad.' Polly is the 25th Om...