COTE: The Quiet One Can Be Da...

By Weebooguy

Kagurazaka Norogumi is a unique student and slightly different from the others. Is he mentally and physically... More

Vol.1 Chp. 1: Two Different Students
Vol. 1 Chp. 2: Club Fair
Vol. 1 Chp. 3: A Long Week
Vol. 1 Chp. 4: End Of Peaceful Days
Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Midterms
Vol. 2 Chp. 1: Bad News
Vol. 2 Chp. 2: Finding The Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 3: Bonding With Other Students
Vol. 2 Chp. 4: Dealing With A Stalker
Vol. 3 Chp. 1: A Vacation... Nope
Vol. 3 Chp. 2: Island Exam
Vol. 3 Chp. 3: Misfortune
Vol. 3 Chp. 4: Things Going South
Vol. 3 Chp. 5: Everything Coming Together
Vol. 4 Chp. 1: Trouble On The Cruise
Vol. 4 Chp. 2: Cruise Ship Special Exam
Vol. 4 Chp. 3: More Problems Arise
Vol. 4 Chp. 4: Planning And Threatening
Vol. 4 Chp. 5: Results Speak For Themselves
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 1: Summer Vacation
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 2: Hanging Out
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 3: Troubled Individuals
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 4: Volleyball Match
Vol. 5 Chp. 1: Sports Festival Info
Vol. 5 Chp. 2: Preparing
Vol. 5 Chp. 3: Rules Of Nature
Vol. 5 Chp. 4: Getting Cornered
Vol. 5 Chp. 5: Final Stretch
Vol. 5 Chp. 6: Bitter Sweet
Vol. 6 Chp. 1: Childhood Friend
Vol. 6 Chp. 2: Paper Shuffle
Vol. 6 Chp. 3: Learning More About Someone
Vol. 6 Chp. 4: X
Vol. 6 Chp. 5: Returning
Vol. 6 Chp. 6: Closer To The Exams
Vol. 6 Chp. 7: A Group Was Form
Vol. 6 Chp. 8: Exam Time
Vol. 7 Chp. 1: Pursuers
Vol. 7 Chp. 2: Family Reunion
Vol. 7 Chp. 3: Confronted
Vol. 7 Chp. 4: Fearing The Unknown
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 1: Winter Holidays
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 2: Meeting With Manabu
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 3: A Date
Vol. 8 Chp. 1: Mixed Training Camp
Vol. 8 Chp. 2: Duel
Vol. 8 Chp. 3: First Day
Vol. 8 Chp. 4: Bath Time
Vol. 8 Chp. 5: The Results
Vol. 9 Chp. 1: Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 2: No Changing Intentions
Vol. 9 Chp. 3: New Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 4: Allegations
Vol. 9 Chp. 5: Confronting The Rumors
Vol. 10 Chp. 1: Class Poll
Vol. 10 Chp. 2: Courage
Vol. 10 Chp. 3: Traitor
Vol. 10 Chp. 4: Accusing Another
Vol. 10 Chp. 5: Behind The Scenes
Vol. 10 Chp. 6: Learning The Truth
Vol. 11 Chp. 1: Event Selection Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 2: Discussing Events
Vol. 11 Chp. 3: Moving On
Vol. 11 Chp. 4: Final Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 5: Class A vs Class C
Vol. 11 Chp. 6: Ayanokouji vs Sakayanagi
Vol. 11 Chp. 7: Final Battle
Questions
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 1: Graduation Ceremony
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 2: A Lost And Scared Lamb
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 3: Farewell
Q & A

Vol. 7 Chp. 5: Ryuuen Loss

1.9K 75 17
By Weebooguy

'...': Writing
'...': Sign language
"...": Text to speech

Manabe's POV

I had a dream that a dragon almost killed me.

Perhaps it was for the reason that I betrayed my class.

I slowly opened my eyes as my face felt warm, and my body felt freezing.

I slightly turned my head to the right and noticed Kagurazaka sitting on a chair, reading a book. My body quickly jolted up, causing me to groan in pain. The sound of bags of ice hit the ground, and the idiot looked up from his book.

'You're awake.'

What happened earlier hit me like a truck. 

I had more concerning issues as I noticed that I was wearing pajamas.

"Did you change my clothes?!" I could only give him a cold glare because it hurt my body a lot from moving around.

'This is going to be a long story.'

Flashback

Kagurazaka's POV

Manabe fell asleep crying in my arms. After leaving the rooftop, I continued to carry Manabe on my back as I walked down the stairs. I made eye contact with Chabashira-sensei, and her eyes widened slightly. I stared back at her.

"Did you settle your dispute?" Chabashira-sensei asked.

I nodded.

"Did you do that to her?" She asked.

A deadpan expression formed when she asked that. Even though I slapped Ibuki around, she was the one to try and kick me first.

"Right... Dumb question," Chabashira-sensei placed a hand on her forehead and let out an exasperated sigh, "Well, I'll let you go."

Manabe's room

I used Manabe's keycard to unlock her dorm and entered. Placing Manabe on her bed, I didn't know how to approach this situation. I didn't want her to get sick, but she would likely kill me if I attempted to strip her of her clothes and have her take a bath.

I placed my hand on her forehead and noticed that she was burning up.

I noticed Manabe stirred before she opened her eyes. I don't know what I was expecting, but she turned to me with a solemn expression.

"Kagurazaka-kun... I feel cold..." She spoke solemnly.

Is she not going to question that I took her keycard to enter her room?

I was expecting her to call me an idiot.

"Can you... help me out of my clothes?"

...

...

...

I stared at her with a dumbfounded expression.

I wasn't expecting something like that to come out of her mouth. I don't know if the beating she took from her classmate gave her a concussion or if she was sick.

"Don't look at me like that..." Manabe pouted while her face was red, "My body aches, and my head hurts..."

I was rendered speechless by her vulnerability. I didn't think seeing a cute side of her was possible.

"Go into my dresser and grab my pajamas for me, too..."

How did I get myself into this situation?

She seemed to be waiting for me to help her remove her clothes, causing me to sigh internally. Making my way over, I started helping her out of her shirt.

I noticed the nasty bruises on her stomach, "Stop staring... I don't need an idiotic pervert staring at my chest..."

I rolled my eyes as a sigh escaped my lips.

This was her idea, but it was reassuring that she acted somewhat like herself.

I help her take her skirt off, leaving her in her black bra and panties.

"Pervert..."

I'm going to ignore her and grab her pajamas. I approached her dresser when she said, "Don't turn around and walk backward. I'm naked."

Why didn't she go into the bathroom and take her clothes off?! This would have made this a whole lot easier on me.

I opened her drawer and grabbed a set of pink pajamas with cute little sheep on them.

Cute...

I started walking backward and handed her pajamas to her. I heard a bit of rustling before she cleared her throat, "You can turn around."

I turned around, and Manabe was wearing her cute pajamas with a red face. Her wet, soaking clothes were on the ground. I reached down to grab them, keeping eye contact with her.

I picked up her clothes and brought them into the bathroom to hang them up for drying. I grabbed a towel to dry her hair. As I left the bathroom, I noticed Manabe lying in bed. I gestured for her to sit up, but she winced in pain. Nevertheless, she managed to sit up, and I dried her hair. Finally, she laid back down.

"Can you rub my head?" Manabe asked.

I walked over to the side of her bed, sat down, and rubbed her forehead gently. She stared up at me with watery eyes.

"Thank you..." She muttered, "I was scared... I can still feel the beating that the bastard gave me..."

I didn't give her a response as I started stroking her hair. Her eyes drooped before she leaned her head into my hand and fell asleep.

End of flashback

Manabe stared at the notebook briefly before tossing it back to me with an annoyed expression, "That didn't happen."

'But it did.'

She scoffed and crossed her arms, "Tch. I don't believe you."

I got up from my seat and was about to leave when she grabbed my arm, "Tell me, were you working with X? Or should I say Ayanokouji-kun?"

I shook my head.

She stared at me briefly before pulling me closer and planting a kiss on my cheek. My eyes widened slightly as I looked at her and noticed a massive blush on her face.

"Thanks for beating up that bastard," she stated, avoiding eye contact, "You mention this to anyone, and I will beat you to death."

She let go of my wrist.

Ryuuen's POV

That night, I dreamt about my past. About that one snake, I killed. Perhaps if I had snapped at it and taught it fear, would I have made the same choice?

"This is stupid..." That train of thought is pointless now.

Humans live the one life they've been given, unable to do it all over again. And each day, victory and defeat are being determined. There will be days when you win, just as when you lose. It just happened to be the latter-day yesterday.

The number of times I've lost would be in the three digits by now. Even if we're talking about Ayanokouji and Kagurazaka, yesterday wouldn't be my first loss. But what makes this so different?

Early in the morning, at 8, I stepped outside to head to school.

Today is the first day of our winter holidays, but the school is still open for club activities. Typically, students must wear their uniform when entering the school building, but since I don't have any club activities, I don't need to wear it. The club morning practice starts at 7 am, and since Keyaki Mall doesn't open until 10 am, I'll probably be the only student heading towards school.

"Achoo..." Two students stood in the middle of the road leading up to the school; one was trembling, and the other was staring at me blankly.

Great... First, Ayanokouji gave me a lecture. Are they going to do the same? 

I stopped, "Will you give me a dumb speech about staying here? If that's the case, then you're wasting your time..."

"I just came to return your phone," Ibuki angrily said.

"Why is this bastard here?" I asked, gesturing to him.

To think that he'd make me feel fear. What a guy...

"I owed him points," she answered.

I didn't respond or take my phone back. I tried to slip past them, but Ibuki grabbed my arm, "Are you being serious about dropping out?"

"Aren't you just giving my phone back to me?" I questioned her.

Ibuki angrily glared at me when I gave that retort.

"Remember how you fought with Ishizaki, Albert, and the others after enrolling? You said the strongest one is determined by who wins, no matter how many times they've lost before. And it played out just like that against Albert and the others."

"So what?"

"Are you going to put an end to this after losing once to Ayanokouji-kun?"

"I misread and ended up sealing my fate. Besides, I couldn't care less now," I said.

"What? That's lame," Ibuki said.

It doesn't matter anymore.

There's another monster in their class.

"Maybe," I indifferently responded to Ibuki's question.

"Don't 'maybe' me."

Ibuki refused to let go of my arm, "You wanted me to drop out, no? If so, isn't this just perfect?"

"I cooperated because you said you'd get us all to Class A. And yet this is how it's going to end?"

I intended to take my time, but Ibuki made herself at home and kept going, "I tolerated your domineering attitude and actions so far because I believed we shared the same goal. The other day, even when you didn't give us an explanation regarding the penalty for Class C, no one complained. Because they all believed that, in the end, we'd rise to Class A. But you're just going to drop out here? That's way too lame".

She stopped to take a breath and then added.

"Is there anything more pathetic than this?"

"How long do you intend to keep interpreting this in your favor, Ibuki?"

I'd instead not do anything unnecessary because my whole body's hurting.

"I did tell you small fry this: if you follow me, I'd take you up to Class A. But that's just me offering you the carrot after the stick. You know about my contract with Class A, don't you? I had no intention of giving it to you guys."

"So you're saying the plan was for you to go to Class A alone?"

"That's the idea, yeah. There's no way I'd seriously look after my classmates, right?"

Indeed, even Ibuki would be convinced if I said this.

"That's enough, no? Later."

"800 million points."

Huh?

"After you handed me your phone yesterday, I seriously contemplated whether or not I should take a look at your points. I thought it wouldn't matter either, so I looked."

She switched my phone on and pointed the screen at me.

It's the trend I had drawn up over three years.

"If only for one person's sake, 20 million points would've been enough. But what's with this strategy? Eight hundred million points are necessary for all of Class C to rise to Class A. Well, I don't think saving up that much is possible, though."

"Stop dreaming. I was fooling around with that memo,"  I forcibly took my phone from Ibuki.

"Hiyori and Kaneda will take the lead from now on. It's still possible as long as Ayanokouji doesn't make a move".

"That's not my point here."

That damn Ibuki. Not a single private point has been transferred. It's completely untouched.

How troublesome.

"What do you want me to say?"

"If you're going to drop out, then fight me."

Again, what a crazy proposal to make.

Idiots are easy to use, but they run out of control occasionally.

"There's no way you can move your body properly, not with the injuries from yesterday and today's cold."

I noticed she couldn't exert much strength in the arm she was using to grab my sleeve. For the bastard standing beside her... he could shove me to the ground with ease and not bat an eye.

I forcibly peeled that arm off my sleeve and started walking off. But the very next moment, I was tripped by Kagurazaka.

I fell onto the stone pavement.

"It hurts. I can't even fall safely," I muttered, rolling over onto my back.

The next moment, I was beaten up by Ibuki.

Those bastards... They thoroughly destroyed my body.

"Ahh... this is refreshing. If you're going to quit, then quit already," Ibuki walked back towards the dorm.

Just how long has she been waiting here? Why the hell is he still here?

He held his hand out toward me. I couldn't help but scoff, and I still grabbed his hand as he pulled me up.

'I know you don't want to hear this from me, but I think it's better if you stay. Your class still needs you. Besides, I don't think you'll be leaving.'

That's all he showed me in his notebook before walking away.

Strange bastard... I can't believe he made me feel fear.

School

"Sakagami, I've got something to say. I told you about it yesterday."

After coming to school alone, I went to my homeroom teacher. I had made an appointment in advance from the dorm's landline.

I delayed it by a day because it would be far too troublesome to drop out right after that.

It's likelier to become a problem considering what I did to the surveillance camera. Even more so, if the former student council president knows it, I plan to cut myself free.

"I understand. I'd rather not stand and talk here. Please accompany me to the counseling room."

"Sure."

"But before we do that, there's a problem."

"Problem?"

"Please come out," Sakagami said, then spoke towards the staff room and called the students out.

Not too long after, the two of them showed up.

"Ryuuen-san..."

"Huh?"

It's Ishizaki and Albert.

I had to deal with that bastard and idiot Ibuki, and I have to deal with these two.

"They were waiting here since early morning after asking whether or not you had dropped by. They won't listen to me even when I tell them to call you directly, so I'm bound here. First, do something about these two."

"What the hell are you doing? Get lost, or I'll kill you."

"We," I glared at Ishizaki, who was about to say unnecessary things and distanced myself.

Sakagami touched his glasses while looking at me to intimidate them. 

"The surveillance camera was destroyed yesterday? Do they have something to do with it?"

"I did that alone. Let's get going already."

Careless interaction here will cause these guys to corner themselves.

I shook them off, ignored Sakagami, and walked towards the counseling room. Despite suspecting Ishizaki and Albert, Sakagami urged them to return while following me.

"I understand more or less from your call, but let's go over it step by step, Ryuuen. First, do you admit to using a spray can to break the surveillance camera?"

"Yeah. I did that on my own."

"And one more thing. Do you admit a fight breaks out between you, Ishizaki, Albert, and Ibuki?

"I admit it. I take responsibility for it all. I threw the first punch. As a result, they retaliated."

There's no need to get them involved in this defeat.

"If you understand that, then this makes things easier."

"Please wait, Ryuuen-san! We aren't..."  I launched a kick towards Ishizaki, who followed me instead of going back. 

A lot of violence or two at this point doesn't matter for someone who will drop out.

"What are you doing, Ryuuen!?"

"How many times are you going to make me say it? Does the beating I gave you yesterday not satisfy you?"

I took my eyes off Ishizaki, who crouched in pain, "You can add that just now to my penalty."

"Regardless of the circumstances, you won't be the only one in trouble if a problem occurs again."

"Shut up. This is the end anyway."

After heading into the counseling room, I immediately got down to business.

"Hurry it up, Sakagami. Please proceed with the withdrawal process".

"It would seem there's a misunderstanding, so allow me to correct you," Sakagami slowly spoke.

"There are contradictions within your statements".

"Huh? Wait a minute. Contradictions?"

"From what I understand, some sort of trouble happened between you and Class D?"

Could it be that, at the very last minute, Ayanokouji and Kagurazaka did it?

If he ignores my proposal and reports what happened to Karuizawa to the school, it won't just be me but Ibuki and Ishizaki receiving the punishment. It won't end with just the loss of our private points.

"Did they file a complaint against us or something?"

"Complaint? From what I understand, a student from Class D was also involved in destroying the surveillance camera."

"What...?"

I couldn't understand what he was saying for a moment, and I got confused.

"Class D has already paid private points covering the cost of repairs. What I wanted to confirm is whether or not you're fine with splitting the blame evenly."

"He's fucking with me..."

Is this what Kagurazaka meant by I wouldn't be leaving this school? You're making a colossal mistake if you think that would stop me from dropping out.

"I'm dropping out".

"Even though there's no problem?" Sakagami is no fool.

He's probably already guessed from this situation that some trouble occurred on the rooftop yesterday.

"That's right. There's no point staying at this school anymore."

He has to respect the student's decision, "I see. If you've already decided, then I can't stop you."

Sakagami said so and retrieved a paper from the drawer.

"Please write your name, student ID number, and reason for withdrawal here."

"Give me a minute," I picked up the pen, but Sakagami retrieved two more papers.

"After we're done with your withdrawal, let's deliver these to Ishizaki and Yamada too."

"What? They've got nothing to do with this."

"Yes, they certainly have nothing to do with this. But this is their wish. They would do the same should you choose to drop out, and I couldn't talk them out of it."

This bastard Ayanokouji has written all over this... did he suggest something unnecessary to those idiots?

He used Ishizaki and Albert hostage to prevent my withdrawal.

If I choose to withdraw here, they'll go down with me, and my very withdrawal would become meaningless. It'd be the same as getting my priorities backward.

"Shit..."

"I'd rather not have someone from my class withdraw, either. That's how I feel," Sakagami said, looking down at the paper I held.

"At this stage, you can settle it with nothing more than property damage. This is your only chance".

"I wonder exactly what merit is in having me remain here."

He should know that, at the very least, I no longer have any intention of causing problems for Sakayanagi and the others.

"I won't drop out," I returned the paper to him and stood up.

~Timeskip~

Kagurazaka's POV

In no time, strange rumors began circulating among the 1st years.

Ryuuen Kakeru has stepped down as leader of Class C.

That he's stopped associating with Ishizaki and the others. That he no longer speaks to anyone.

I wonder if he will bounce back from this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.5K 1.3K 16
[Ayanokouji in Class C] Ayanokouji Kiyotaka has lived his life controlled by his father, in an environment that broke many lives through sheer violen...
4.2K 195 12
THERE ARE MORE BOOKS, BOTH BEFORE AND AFTER THIS VOLUME. READ VOLUME 1 FIRST AND THEN ADVANCE It's summer vacation! ... Well, technically. The studen...
7.6K 336 6
Ayanokouji, the freedom-seeking boy has woken up to be confronted by a game. A challenge. A challenge which will sculpt his very life into something...
1.1K 67 3
Kiyotaka Ayanokoji wakes up one day and gets thrown into a game. Well, that's not exactly it. He didn't get thrown into a different world or anything...