COTE: The Quiet One Can Be Da...

By Weebooguy

Kagurazaka Norogumi is a unique student and slightly different from the others. Is he mentally and physically... More

Vol.1 Chp. 1: Two Different Students
Vol. 1 Chp. 2: Club Fair
Vol. 1 Chp. 3: A Long Week
Vol. 1 Chp. 4: End Of Peaceful Days
Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Midterms
Vol. 2 Chp. 1: Bad News
Vol. 2 Chp. 2: Finding The Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 3: Bonding With Other Students
Vol. 2 Chp. 4: Dealing With A Stalker
Vol. 3 Chp. 1: A Vacation... Nope
Vol. 3 Chp. 2: Island Exam
Vol. 3 Chp. 3: Misfortune
Vol. 3 Chp. 4: Things Going South
Vol. 3 Chp. 5: Everything Coming Together
Vol. 4 Chp. 1: Trouble On The Cruise
Vol. 4 Chp. 2: Cruise Ship Special Exam
Vol. 4 Chp. 3: More Problems Arise
Vol. 4 Chp. 4: Planning And Threatening
Vol. 4 Chp. 5: Results Speak For Themselves
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 1: Summer Vacation
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 2: Hanging Out
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 3: Troubled Individuals
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 4: Volleyball Match
Vol. 5 Chp. 1: Sports Festival Info
Vol. 5 Chp. 2: Preparing
Vol. 5 Chp. 3: Rules Of Nature
Vol. 5 Chp. 4: Getting Cornered
Vol. 5 Chp. 5: Final Stretch
Vol. 5 Chp. 6: Bitter Sweet
Vol. 6 Chp. 1: Childhood Friend
Vol. 6 Chp. 2: Paper Shuffle
Vol. 6 Chp. 3: Learning More About Someone
Vol. 6 Chp. 4: X
Vol. 6 Chp. 5: Returning
Vol. 6 Chp. 6: Closer To The Exams
Vol. 6 Chp. 7: A Group Was Form
Vol. 6 Chp. 8: Exam Time
Vol. 7 Chp. 1: Pursuers
Vol. 7 Chp. 2: Family Reunion
Vol. 7 Chp. 3: Confronted
Vol. 7 Chp. 5: Ryuuen Loss
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 1: Winter Holidays
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 2: Meeting With Manabu
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 3: A Date
Vol. 8 Chp. 1: Mixed Training Camp
Vol. 8 Chp. 2: Duel
Vol. 8 Chp. 3: First Day
Vol. 8 Chp. 4: Bath Time
Vol. 8 Chp. 5: The Results
Vol. 9 Chp. 1: Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 2: No Changing Intentions
Vol. 9 Chp. 3: New Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 4: Allegations
Vol. 9 Chp. 5: Confronting The Rumors
Vol. 10 Chp. 1: Class Poll
Vol. 10 Chp. 2: Courage
Vol. 10 Chp. 3: Traitor
Vol. 10 Chp. 4: Accusing Another
Vol. 10 Chp. 5: Behind The Scenes
Vol. 10 Chp. 6: Learning The Truth
Vol. 11 Chp. 1: Event Selection Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 2: Discussing Events
Vol. 11 Chp. 3: Moving On
Vol. 11 Chp. 4: Final Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 5: Class A vs Class C
Vol. 11 Chp. 6: Ayanokouji vs Sakayanagi
Vol. 11 Chp. 7: Final Battle
Questions
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 1: Graduation Ceremony
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 2: A Lost And Scared Lamb
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 3: Farewell
Q & A

Vol. 7 Chp. 4: Fearing The Unknown

2.2K 90 47
By Weebooguy

'...': Writing
'...': Sign language
"...": Text to speech

'So, what did you want to talk about? It seemed rather important if you wanted to talk to me alone.'

He's cutting right to the chase, huh? This will make things easier for me.

"It's about Ryuuen. It's obvious to everyone now that he is suspicious of a master puppeteer within Class D's shadow. Someone who isn't as Horikita."

'I know it's you.'

I shouldn't be surprised that he figured it out, but I still had more to say. I didn't get a chance when he showed me his notebook.

'You can't continue hiding. What are you going to do?'

I sighed, leaning back in my seat, "I know... This vexed me. Considering what Ryuuen might do for his next uproar."

I reached into my pocket and out a burner phone. I fiddled with it before handing it to him.

Kagurazaka's POV

It was a picture of Karuizawa.

I analyzed the photo before me.

Kiyotaka has been in contact with Ryuuen. It's a warning that Ryuuen knows someone close to the mastermind.

How long have they been working together? When did Karuizawa start acting differently?

Manabe mentioned an anonymous messenger to me.

She told me what happened between her and Karuizawa, so Kiyotaka had contacted Manabe on the cruise ship at some point.

He must have seen what went down... Adding the state Karuizawa was in, he could've taken advantage of the situation.

So, they have been working together since the cruise ship...

Ayanokouji's POV

He has been staring at the phone for a few minutes and hasn't done anything.

He started writing in his notebook, 'Karuizawa hides behind a mask. She can pretend to act tough, but she's scared and broken.'

My face didn't show it, but I was surprised he figured it out by staring at the photo.

'Her attitude toward you has changed, too... You used Manabe-san to try and break Karuizawa-san.'

The atmosphere shifted as it felt tense and suffocating. His facial expression didn't change as he stared at me. It was like he was staring right through me.

I covered up my tracks but didn't take Norogumi associating with Manabe.

She even took the risk of telling him, but why would she?

'What's stopping you from acting?'

"I want a peaceful life, but if I act on it, I would have to abandon it, and I would be playing Ryuuen's hand."

'I think you're an idiot.'

Huh?

'I don't know why you want a peaceful life, but I don't think coming to this school was the best choice. Wouldn't you have forfeited your right to a peaceful life since the beginning?'

'I don't think anyone at this school can have a normal life.'

He's right, though. This school is anything but ordinary.

'What do you think he will do with her? It clearly won't be anything good.'

"She has a history of being bullied, so he might use that to blackmail her and spill the information," I gave my input, "It seems you understand the gist of my dilemma."

'You're going to have her depend on you more in the future, am I right?'

He's more perceptive than I thought.

'Your trust for me is superficial or non-existent, but I figured you need my help.'

"I wouldn't lie and say the extra help would be nice."

'I have a reason to help out, anyways.'

~Timeskip~

Kagurazaka's POV

I was walking to the library when I noticed someone walking towards me. As soon as she saw me, she seemed slightly surprised before her expression became severe.

"You made it easy to come to find you," Kamuro said. "Sakayanagi-san is waiting for you in the library."

Oh, I know... She's probably annoyed that I didn't respond to her text to meet her there.

I walked past Kamuro and made my way into the library. There were only two students in there. The first one was Arisu.

The other was a girl who noticed me and immediately started walking toward me, "Kagurazaka-kun, I wasn't expecting to see you here," Shiina said.

'I would read with you today, but I'm here to meet someone.'

She turns around to look toward Arisu, "I see..."

She looked at me, "Ryuuen-kun sad that he was about to find out the person from your class that he called X... If you're here, that means he was right, and you're not X..."

There was a sense of relief in Shiina's eyes. 

I patted the top of her head, causing her to blush slightly, before walking past her and going over to Arisu.

A smug smile appeared on Arisu's face, "Norogumi-kun, I'm glad you could make it. I was rather upset that you didn't message me back."

I sat in the chair.

"I was considering having a chess match with you, but I want to have a lovely conversation," Arisu said.

'I'm having a hard time believing that we are going to have a lovely conversation.'

"Fufufu," she laughed, "I want to talk to you."

I looked at my phone and saw that it was 1:30 PM.

"Is there a problem, Norogumi-kun?" Arisu asked.

I shook my head, 'I can't stay for a long chat because I have somewhere to be.'

Arisu's narrowed her eyes at me as her grin slightly strained, "I see... I'm rather sad."

'Sorry.'

"You know it was nice to hear your voice after many years," Arisu's gaze softened, "You're still the same as we were back then as we were kids."

'Can you tell me more about our childhood together?'

A serene smile appeared on her face, "I have no problem with that."

~Timeskip~

I glanced at my phone and saw that it was 2 PM. I slid it back into my pocket.

'Sorry, but I have to go.'

Arisu continued to smile, "It's too bad... I was getting to the good part."

'Let's play a chess match next time we hang out.'

"Of course! I will not bother you any longer, Norogumi-kun!"

I was about to leave when Arisu said, "Enjoy your winter holiday!"

I nodded.

Ayanokouji's POV

I climbed the stairs.

Step. By. Step.

As I ascended slowly, a dark silhouette emerged in front of me. The gatekeeper stood guard at the entrance to the rooftop. He watched me silently, with a menacing pose. It was Yamada Albert from Class C, who had not made any movements yet. 

He was the perfect watchdog. Although I don't know the specifics, he was also most likely one of Ryuuen's subordinates. He looked down on me, evaluating me with his gaze.

"May I pass?"

I don't know if he understands Japanese, but I'll try talking to him.

But Albert remained perfectly still and continued to observe me.

Is his silence meant to imply refusal? Or a lack of comprehension? It's frustrating how it's hard to tell.

He took out his phone using his large hands and deftly tried making a call.

"No need for panic. I'm the one you've all been looking for," Albert stopped moving as I said in English.

But a reply was not forthcoming.

"I'll resolve this problem on my own today. There will be no outside interference," as I explained myself again in English, Albert gave it some thought before closing his phone.

He silently signaled me to pass and stayed on the stairs, interfering with my plan.

"I'm going to crush Ryuuen now. He doesn't stand a chance without your help," I provoked him in Japanese. 

Albert looked down the stairs for a moment, and after confirming that no one else was around, he opened the door to the rooftop himself. 

Once he stepped out onto the rooftop, he stood beside the door and watched me from behind. The overcast sky above made it seem like it could rain down on us any moment now.

I looked at Karuizawa, crouching near the fencing, far from the door. Manabe was battered and bruised, leaning against the fence. Then, Ishizaki and Ibuki, having noticed the door opening and closing, looked over at me with Ryuuen following suit.

I looked around, left and right, to check for surveillance cameras.

The camera's lens has been painted black and can no longer function.

I see. So he blinded it with a spray.

After grasping the situation, I immediately returned to face Ryuuen's group.

"Ayano...kouji...?" Ibuki was the first to say something.

Hearing my name, Karuizawa noticed me and looked shocked.

"Sorry, I'm late," I said to her.

"Why... Why did you come...?" Karuizawa looked at me while forcing that feeble voice out.

"There's no need to ask, is there? I made a promise. That I'll save you should anything happen to you."

"R-Ryuuen-san, does this mean Ayanokouji is X!?"

"That's not possible. He's not the one." Ishizaki panicked, but Ibuki denied it before Ryuuen could.

"Ryuuen, surely X is just manipulating Ayanokouji. Don't be deceived. They told Karuizawa in advance that they'd send someone else to save her..."

"Shut up, Ibuki," Ryuuen seemed rather delighted, but that quickly changed, "Albert, I thought I told you to keep watch."

Albert pointed at me and roughly replied, "But this is the guy, boss," he said in Japanese.

Someone touched Albert's shoulder and walked out from behind him. Almost everyone on the roof was thrown into shock once again.

Kagurazaka's POV

I ignored their reactions and scanned the rooftop when my eyes landed on Manabe.

3rd POV

"This is a gift in a way," Ryuuen said delightedly, "Destroying you here and now saves me the effort of doing it later."

"What's with the stupid umbrella in your hand?" Ishizaki questioned.

Kagurazaka didn't respond except to point the umbrella at Manabe's injured body. It seems he was asking if they were the ones to do that to her.

"Kuku," Ryuuen laughed, "Her? Let's say I needed to teach her about betraying the class."

"This can't be real," Ibuki muttered, "No way either of these people could be X."

"It's not what I want to believe; I'm telling you it's not true. This guy... this guy is just a goodhearted fool. I don't think he's even aware of the situation with Karuizawa and X, no?"

Kagurazaka raised an eyebrow and glanced at Ayanokouji, 'Don't look at me like that,' Ayanokouji thought.

"Why would you say that?" Ryuuen questioned.

"Back on the island, I hid Karuizawa's underwear inside a Kagurazaka's bag to sabotage Class D. You'd suspect someone like me from Class C of being the perpetrator. But Ayanokouji never once doubted me. Stupidly enough, he told me he doesn't think I'm the perpetrator."

"What about the fairy-tale princess?" Ryuuen asked.

"I think it's stupid if someone like him would be a mastermind," Ibuki said, "Do you believe it, Ryuuen-san? That Ayanokouji is X, I mean..."

"I've always suspected Ayanokouji. Because he's constantly with Suzune, who herself is said to be exceptional and all."

"But, isn't that way too blatant or more like... way too obvious for someone trying to hide their identity?"

"That's true. I get what you're trying to say, Ishizaki. That's why I also carefully made sure to eliminate all other possibilities. And after learning about the incident with Manabe's group, I delved into it again. Considering how they handled the matter with Karuizawa's bullying, I thought it had to be either Ayanokouji or Hirata."

"Stop acting cool. You didn't even mark Ayanokouji or Hirata as targets after that, did you?"

"I'm the person you're looking for," Ayanokouji blatantly told them.

"I don't know... It seems fishy," Ishizaki said.

"Didn't you predict that X wouldn't show up, anyway?" Ibuki questioned.

"I just came here because Karuizawa asked for help. There's no exam going on right now, so proof doesn't even factor into this. If you want proof that I'm X, you can wait until the next exam."

"You're lying. We know who you are, and we also know Karuizawa's secret. If you leave without telling us, something terrible will happen tomorrow."

"What do you mean by terrible things?"

"Don't act clueless. What are you going to do next?" Ryuuen asked.

"I'm not going to do anything."

"You must be aware that Sudou and the others are nearby, waiting for orders, right?" Ishizaki warned as he glanced at the door.

"I don't think so," Ryuuen said, "If a lot of their classmates witness this disastrous scene with Karuizawa, she will lose her position without me having to do anything. You need to think a little bit."

"I-I see..."

"But you're quite something if you're going to play dumb."

"Enough is enough, Ryuuen. There's no way X would boldly march up to us alone," Ibuki counseled Ryuuen.

"Good grief, now this is a problem. Ibuki and Ishizaki don't believe you're X," Ryuuen said, 

Ayanokouji told Ibuki, "During the island exam, you were instructed to film the leader's keycard with your digital camera. But for some reason, at the critical moment, your digital camera malfunctioned, and you were left unable to use it. Am I wrong?"

"I'm the one who broke that camera you hid inside your bag. I used water to ensure I don't leave behind a trace."

There shouldn't be many people, even within Class C, who know they have purchased a digital camera.

"By the way, when I ran into Ibuki, her fingertips were covered with dirt. On top of that, traces of soil had been dug up around where she sat. I found a radio buried there when I looked into it at night. That was so you could communicate with Ryuuen, no?"

"Kagurazaka strapped a small camera to a crow he tamed and recorded the fight between you and Horikita."

"You're the reason I lost all my points?!" Ibuki snapped at Kagurazaka.

"You've got to admit it now, Ibuki. Ayanokouji is X".

"Wait, wait a minute. Just because he's somewhat smart doesn't mean he's X, right?"

"But isn't it strange? Even if Ayanokouji is X, pulling the strings behind the scenes, why would he just obediently show up here!? He's demolished all our plans so far, hasn't he!?".

"He probably has some trick up his sleeve. A miracle that exceeds even our imagination. If not...he'll just be an idiot then."

"Trick? There's no trick I could use in a situation like this. You have all already grasped Karuizawa's big secret regarding her past. I know what'll happen if I act carelessly. This situation results from your preparations to ensure I cannot do anything. Am I wrong?"

"Hah. What'll you do then? Now we can reveal your existence whenever we want, you know? Now that you've revealed yourself, we no longer have any incentive to reveal Karuizawa's past bullying. If we keep quiet about that, then you won't be able to act carelessly either—a perfect stalemate."

"Doesn't look like reporting what was done to Karuizawa here to the school is an option either."

"If you tattle on us, we'll ruin Karuizawa in retaliation."

"No matter how you look at it, I'm overwhelmingly in the lead here."

"Aren't you satisfied now that you know the situation? I'll take Karuizawa back with me," Ayanokouji said.

"Don't say something so anticlimactic. You're finally here, so you might as well take it slowly."

Ryuuen then grabbed Karuizawa's arm and forcibly dragged her up.

"Ahh!".

"There's no way you'd reveal your identity without a reason. What trick do you have up your sleeve? Show me."

"Sorry, Ryuuen. But it doesn't seem like I'll be able to answer your expectations."

"Huh...?"

"I was just dancing in the palm of your hand. That's all there is to it."

A crack finally appeared in the smile Ryuuen had been wearing this whole time, "If the X we've been making such a big deal out of finding is a fool like this, then we may as well have not found him. Surely what happened with the digital camera was a fluke or something."

Although Ibuki and Ryuuen are allies, Ibuki has always distrusted Ryuuen. Rather than pretending, she questions him openly because she genuinely feels that way.

Seeing an opportunity, I made my next move.

"I did indeed reveal my identity. But that won't come back to bite me immediately. The only ones who know I've been manipulating Class D from the shadows would be Horikita and Karuizawa. If the other classes come to know of this, it could only have been one of you who leaked it."

"And what's the problem with that?"

"If you're going to reveal my existence, then I'll report everything that happened on this rooftop to the school."

"You've just been cornered because you can't do that."

"I can do that. I have to sacrifice Karuizawa."

"...huh?"

"You assumed I'd abandon Karuizawa. But when I showed up, you started talking based on the assumption that this wasn't the case. Am I wrong?"

"Now that doesn't add up. If you had abandoned her from the beginning, you may have been able to conceal your identity. You came because that wasn't an option. Don't bluff now."

"I think it's fine if they know about Kiyotaka because then they might reveal my secret too," Karuizawa said as she got up from the floor, looking at Ayanokouji. 

However, he immediately shifted his gaze back to Ryuuen. 

"It's up to you whether you believe her, but it will be a dangerous fight if that happens," Ryuuen warned. 

"Wouldn't it be enough since we've uncovered X's identity?" Ibuki asked. 

"I agree. He might even sacrifice her," Ishizaki added. 

"This was all done to flush out X. We don't want to go any further," Ibuki explained. 

Ryuuen laughed while clutching his head and shaking, "You're right that war may break out once either side reveals their secret. I'll admit that."

"To be honest, it's been a letdown so far. Not only do you reveal your identity so easily, but you also have no choice but to leave your fate in the hands of your enemies to protect yourself. But even then, there's still no doubt that Ayanokouji is the X who kept me entertained. Then I'll be losing out if I don't make you entertain me to the very end. Right, Ishizaki?"

"Y-Yes," Ishizaki stammered out.

"I approach everything in life as if it's a game. Climbing to Class A and defeating Ichinose and Suzune are just part of the fun. Even taking down Class D and Class B and finally facing Sakayanagi is just a way for me to pass the time," while laughing, Ryuuen grabbed hold of Karuizawa's bangs. Karuizawa's face contorted in pain.

But there's no longer any fear in her eyes, "Kuku... Even though you despaired so much, now you were never even afraid. I feel stupid for doubting whether Ayanokouji is X or not. Your eyes tell me you have absolute faith in Ayanokouji. It almost feels like you'd go ahead and reveal your past if I were to reveal Ayanokouji's identity. You can relax. Your role here is clearly over with this."

Having lost interest in Karuizawa, he released his grip on her hair and shoved her by the shoulder.

"I must commend you, Ayanokouji. Despite being considered a "defective" student in Class D, you could see through my strategies multiple times. Also, your methods are similar to mine, which made you all the more interesting. I aimed to expose the mastermind behind everything happening, and interacting with you made that task more enjoyable. However, I have not yet thought beyond that, and I am considering what to do next," he poured his heart out ever so talkatively and pleasantly.

"And then I decided," Ryuuen said.

"...what are you planning to do to Ayanokouji?"

"Why are you so pissed off, Ibuki?" Ibuki took her distance from them and fearlessly approached Ryuuen until she was right before him.

"What you're about to do now puts Class C at risk," Ibuki said.

"Kuku. You were always a lone wolf, never cooperating with your classmates, yet here you are, saying something like, 'This puts Class C at risk.' Don't make me laugh."

"I followed you this far because I thought the class stood to benefit from your recklessness. But this one's over the line. Ayanokouji has nothing left up his sleeve," as thoughts spat out all the resentment bottled up inside her, Ibuki continued, "That's why I cannot approve of what you're about to do."

"Do you know what I'm about to do?"

"I can tell after having known you since April. You're going to make him yield through violence, aren't you?" Having heard that, Ishizaki froze up a bit.

"Ishizaki, Komiya, Kondou, and even Albert have all been made to yield to you through violence."

"It's best to demonstrate the difference in power between us."

"Isn't the difference already obvious?"

"We've indeed been had many times by Ayanokouji. We need to return the favor".

"That's why I'm telling you that sort of thinking is going to spell trouble for the class!".

Smack! 

A sharp sound reverberated.

The cause of that sound was Ryuuen slapping Ibuki's cheek with the palm of his hand.

Ibuki went silent immediately afterward.

"I couldn't care less as long as I'm enjoying it. Violence, in particular, is easy to understand," Ryuuen barked,  "I think I understand why you revealed your identity this late. Now, this makes it impossible for us to fight out of bounds. Shut the door, Albert."

After receiving that order from Ryuuen, Albert closed the door that led back into the school.

"But it's still a bad move. You may have thought it would all end here, but I won't let that happen."

"I suppose my retreat has been cut off. Now you're free to take this in your desired direction," Ayanokouji said.

"First, I'll put the fear on that apathetic face of yours, then I'm going sure your buddy over there never gets in the way again," Ryuuen replied, pointing at Kagurazaka.

"Are you going to resort to violence?" Ayanokouji asked.

"I'm going to commit your pathetic appearance to memory, and then I'll call it quits. Because I'll be moving onto Ichinose, come the third semester after all."

"People do yield before violence, that's for sure. Your logic is sound there. But to carry out that logic, you must be stronger than the other guy. Do you understand that?"

"Huh?"

"The four of you here won't be enough to stop us. Let alone myself," Ayanokouji said.

"What?" Ibuki raised an eyebrow.

"Kukukukukukukukukukukuku," seemingly finding it exceedingly funny because Ryuuen's laughing his heart out.

"Ayanokouji is trying to say this: I won't be made to yield through violence by the likes of you. Then show me the extent of your confidence. Ishizaki."

"I-Is it okay?" He hesitated under the orders that were given to him.

"Don't hold back; get him."

"But.....".

"There'll be no problem even if we give them a thorough beating."

"Wait!"

When Ishizaki approached Ayanokouji, it was Karuizawa's scream that stopped him.

"Why are you doing something this stupid!? You won't gain anything from beating Kiyotaka up, will you!?"

"Hey, don't just cut in like that, Karuizawa. Your role is over. Thanks to this guy's sacrifice, you can relax; your past won't be revealed anymore. Just be grateful to him," he grabbed Karuizawa's hair again like he had when he had poured water on her.

And then shoved Karuizawa to the back, "That's why I'm telling you to stay out of this."

Nevertheless, Karuizawa bared her fangs at Ryuuen for my sake.

She tried to get back up and jump onto Ryuuen.

"Don't worry, Karuizawa," Ayanokouji called out to Karuizawa and made her stop.

"That's right, save that concern for yourself," Ishizaki stepped forward, "Don't think badly of me, Ayanokouji. This is just another order from Ryuuen-san."

"I don't care either way."

Ishizaki threw a punch, but it seemed more like a hard swat than anything else. His right fist took a wide arc, aiming for Ayanokouji's chin. Before it could hit its target, Kagurazaka stepped around Ayanokouji and caught the blow with his hand.

Ishizaki looked surprised before his emotion turned into anger. Kagurazaka tightened his grip around his hand, "Ah... Ugh!" Ishizaki's face whimpered from the pain as his knees began to tremble.

"Ishizaki?" Ibuki called out.

No longer able to hold himself upright, his knees buckled, and he fell to the cold floor of the rooftop on his knees. Perhaps unable to endure it, Ishizaki desperately clutched Kagurazaka's arm with his left hand and tried to tear it away, but to no avail.

It wasn't long before Ishizaki was struck in the face with the umbrella that Kagurazaka held in his right hand.

It didn't end there as Kagurazaka dropped the umbrella and reeled his right fist back before brutally assaulting Ishizaki with many punches to the face.

Kagurazaka let him go as Ishizaki lay on the ground from a brutal beating.

The one who first grasped this situation was neither Ibuki nor Ryuuen, but it was Albert.

The black shadow approaches. Before getting permission from his boss, Albert waved his thick arms around like a pole and swung. Before his punch could land, Ayanokouji caught it.

His facial expression never changed, but he still felt the hit, "I guess that did hurt," Ayanokouji mumbled.

The reason he attacked me from my free left side may be because he anticipated I would take a defensive posture after Ishizaki frees himself.

Ibuki stared at the spectacle with an unbelievable expression.

"Again," Ryuuen ordered his men.

Ishizaki crawled back to his feet when his eyes widened and barely rolled out of the way from an incoming knee to his face.

'Is he trying to kill me?!' Ishizaki shouted in his head.

Albert threw a left hook, but Ayanokouji dodged it and retaliated with a frontal attack. He plunges his fist into Albert's abdomen, and a slight change occurs on Albert's expressionless face.

The damage was shallow.

Ayanokouji aimed for the solar plexus next, and Albert contorted his body in anticipation of evading the blow. However, that was a fatal mistake as Ayanokouji used the tip of his hand to strike Albert's throat.

"Ghhh!" Albert gurgled in pain as he dropped to his knees.

"Ayanokouji!" Ishizaki shouted and charged him.

Ishizaki didn't get far as Kagurazaka tripped him, causing him to faceplant. He lifted his head only to get kicked right in the face.

Ishizaki and Albert collapsed, and silence fell upon the rooftop.

All Ryuuen, Ibuki, and Karuizawa could do was burn that unbelievable sight into their memories.

Kagurazaka's POV

"They are more than we expected them to be," Ryuuen said.

"So, you're saying that stage we prepared ended up in their favor? What does that mean...?" Ibuki asked.

"Are you being serious, Ibuki?" Ayanokouji questioned.

"Eh?"

"You've known for a long time now that Ryuuen is the type of person who'd use violence to dominate his enemies. On top of that, don't you think setting up a situation where no amount of violence would cause a problem is just too convenient for Class C?"

"Huh?".

As Ibuki tilted her head, doubt also appeared within Ryuuen.

"Wait a minute, Ayanokouji. Even I don't understand this. This is a situation I set up."

"Even though I'm acting this diplomatically here, you still don't see the real situation?"

After sighing, Ayanokouji decided to spoil it all for him, "Our confrontation here has been predetermined for a long time now. And also, in a situation where neither of us could tattle on the other, Ryuuen Kakeru would resort to violence to settle things."

Ryuuen thinks that everything that has happened so far results from his meticulous planning ahead. But that would be a huge mistake.

"If I never intended on having my identity revealed, then I wouldn't have used Manabe in the first place. A search for the culprit would begin as soon as I made her a spy and had her send me the recorded footage. And just like a true dictator, you'd narrow it down to Manabe's group. And that's where you heard it from, right? That they were blackmailed after attacking Karuizawa and that they had no other choice."

So far, Ryuuen cannot deny a single thing. Naturally, of course.

"You confirmed that Karuizawa's connected to me. All that's left is how you choose to execute it. For that reason, you thought strangling us would be most effective. You had Ishizaki, Komiya, and the others tail Class D and openly approached Kouenji and Kagurazaka so you could put the pressure on X. Well, I suppose you were genuinely enjoying yourself. Still, you may have ended up giving me time to think."

"Kukuku. Now you're saying some interesting things. So you're saying you only made it look like you were dancing in the palm of my hand?"

"To be more precise, I made it look like I was dancing in the palm of your hand when you had been dancing in mine."

"Then allow me to apologize, Ayanokouji. You are a sharp one. The advantage I held until a while ago has vanished entirely, and now I'm in a big pinch. What shall we do, Ibuki?"

After hearing the whole story from Ayanokouji, Ryuuen still laughed happily, even after seeing what he could do.

"What's the matter with you... both you and Ayanokouji...!"

Ibuki sent a flying kick towards him, and she didn't seem concerned that her underwear was visible.

She wasn't reasoning at the moment to care about such things. I calmly stepped in the way and blocked the attack.

A switch seemed to have flipped inside of Ibuki as she took several steps to close the distance and attacked me with a kick that left little room to dodge.

I remember watching the recording of her fighting against a sick Horikita. I wonder if it's still true that she's strong enough to beat a healthy Horikita.

"Tch," Ibuki clicked her tongue in irritation as I evaded all her kicks.

"Why are you getting in the way?" Ibuki questioned.

I shrugged, 'You owe me 100,000 private points.'

"Eh? That's the reason you came up here?!" Ibuki was skeptical.

My eyes traveled over to Manabe.

Ibuki tried to catch me off guard as I wasn't focused on her and closed the distance between us. I didn't give her a chance to dodge or block when I grabbed her by the neck and tripped her to the ground.

Ibuki's eyes widened when I didn't release her throat, causing her to claw at my arm. I loosened up my grip before I raised my right hand.

Smack

Smack

Smack

Smack

Smack Smack Smack Smack Smack

I slapped her across the face multiple times until her cheeks were red. She shielded her face, waiting for another slap to hit her.

Ibuki's POV

He hits hard... My neck and cheeks were in pain.

I could hear Ryuuen clapping as though expressing genuine respect toward Kagurazaka, "You're first-class when it comes to violence. I underestimated you."

Through blurry eyes, Kagurazaka wasn't paying attention to Ryuuen but staring at me. It was like he was disappointed in me but more disappointed in himself.

I was not too fond of the look in his eyes. It seems like he didn't want to fight.

He looked away from me, and I felt an intense pressure from him. It felt like I was suffocating and drowning in darkness.

"Do you know what else I want to say?" I heard Ryuuen ask.

Kagurazaka got off of me.

Kagurazaka's POV

Is yapping and violence all he is good for?

"Physical strength alone doesn't decide victory or defeat when it comes to violence. It's about how strong your heart is," Ryuuen walked up to me.

Ryuuen then lowers his stance while extending his left fist. He was aiming for my abdomen. I grabbed his arm and pushed it aside before Ryuuen used his other arm to give me a quick elbow to my chin.

I leaped backward to evade it.

I don't have any intention of taking his attacks.

He closed the distance and tried to backhand my right cheek with his left arm, but I managed to duck under it before launching up and headbutting his chin.

"Ugh! Damn it...! Kukukuku," Ryuuen laughed, "You are something, huh?"

Ryuuen immediately closes the distance in pursuit, and this time, he extends his dominant right fist.

Sorry, but it seems like Ryuuen forgot about someone.

Ayanokouji's POV

Kagurazaka was bringing Ryuuen closer to me so I could fight him.

After Kagurazaka evaded the attack, I slapped Ryuuen's dominant right hand away. I extended my right arm to grab hold of Ryuuen's bangs. He reacted immediately and slapped my arm away with his left hand---right after that, my kick connected with Ryuuen's ribs.

I launched my attack when he got distracted by my right arm.

He distanced himself from me to avoid a consecutive series of attacks.

"Not bad, Ryuuen."

It goes without saying, of course, that his strength is far beyond the likes of Ishizaki. I'm honestly impressed.

Even though he had received a rather heavy blow, there was still no sign of him kneeling.

"This is fun~," he said and laughed.

But I still don't believe his talent is outstanding enough to beat Albert.

"This comeback after being driven to the brink of despair. I can't get enough of it, Ayanokouji," his smile is more comprehensive than ever before, and he continues attacking without holding back.

His movements aren't that of the martial arts he learned. It's a self-taught style he picked up from the various battlefields he's overcome.

I can't afford to keep dodging all his attacks perfectly. Besides, I'm not alone in this fight against Ryuuen.

Fighting back was easy, but I accepted his blows while maintaining my guard.

After I received the fourth punch, Ryuuen spoke, "Why won't you fight back? Surely you can do so boldly."

"I've got my circumstances here."

The same thing can be said about Kagurazaka.

"Really? Then I'll hear them out after I beat you," Ryuuen's smirk widened.

"Do you think you can win?" I asked.

"Kuku. Do you think you're invincible?"

"Sorry, but I can hardly imagine losing."

What Ryuuen sees that I'm not seeing.

"You'll probably win here. But what about tomorrow? What about the day after?"

"So you're saying it's not certain if we keep repeating it?"

"What about when you're in the toilet? While you're shitting? I'll attack you from all angles."

"Are you not afraid of losing?"

"I've never felt fear. Not once before."

"No fear, eh?"

That's interesting. Most likely, this is the reason behind Ryuuen's confidence.

"You'll understand once you feel pain. One slowly learns fear after that."

"Then teach me that so-called pain of yours."

"As much as you desire and more!"

When Ryuuen grabbed hold of my shoulders, he struck me with a high-speed kick to the abdomen.

"Kiyotaka!" Karuizawa screamed in worry.

But it was an attack I intended to receive; nothing to worry about there.

"You'll understand if you get hit twice or thrice! Hah!"

As though aiming for the same spot, Ryuuen stamped down with his left leg.

As he stamped down, he closed the distance between us, and I guarded my face with my left arm. He extended his right arm and struck my right knee with it after winding it up. It is the most critical hit yet today. I lay on my back while feeling pain rush through my body.

"How's that? Do you understand now?".

"...unfortunately, I don't get anything. It's just pain spreading through my body".

"Are you trying to say you're like me and feel no fear?"

Kagurazaka's POV

I don't think Ryuuen understands what Ayanokouji is talking about.

I know the fear caused by pain, the misery of losing, and the sight of people breaking down.

I have experienced it myself before... I've been through the suffering and despair. Not everyone will have the same experience.

But I'll give you an experience that you'll never forget...

"Let's play some more!" Ryuuen screamed and concentrated fire on Ayanokouji's abdomen several times over.

By lowering his knee a bit, Ayanokouji intercepts Ryuuen's kick.

"Tch! So you predicted it!"

Ayanokouji was dealing with it patiently, through dodging it. I don't think he won't let any critical injury befall him.

"You want to play, Ayanokouji? Why aren't you dodging attacks you could've dodged?"

"I was experimenting to see whether I'd feel that fear you described."

"Just how much are you underestimating me, you bastard."

Even though he sensed the difference in power between us, Ryuuen continued to maintain that momentum.

It was my turn to step in.

Ayanokouji's POV

Despite sensing the difference in power between us, Ryuuen persisted with the same level of momentum. The outcome could have been different if he were in a berserker rage. However, during a fight, the more confident one is in one's abilities, the more they will despair upon realizing the power gap. Strangely, I can't sense that feeling from him.

Even though I was dominating the game, I purposely made some mistakes in my moves. I planned to make a comeback and break my opponent's spirit. However, it seems like I miscalculated a bit because I underestimated his abilities. But it's not a big problem. It just means that I need to put in some extra effort to make him suffer more. Ryuuen will have to endure more pain before I can break his spirit.

It looks like someone wants to join in on the fight.

Ryuuen's POV

I felt someone grab my right arm and shift my leg to knee me in the face and forcibly pull me in for a relentless right hook to the face.

"Gah?!"

The fairy-tale bastard had me pinned to the ground as I fell to the concrete. It started raining down as I received blows left and right.

My vision was blocked by swelling and bruising as I tried to fight back, but I was missing. I could feel the powerful yet precise blows from above.

My expression turned grim, "I'm confident in my fighting skills, but it's not like I've never lost before. No, I know best precisely because I've lost many times before..."

I was going to have trouble speaking as the inside of my mouth had been cut up. I spat out blood on the ground.

I closed my eyes and laughed, "Hah, hah... kuku... it must be fun for you, Kagurazaka. You seemed irritated by something.

I opened my eyes, and then he started raining down punches while aiming for my face.

My face had already swollen up, but both my external and internal bleeding had also gotten bad.

But even then, I wasn't feeling any fear.

As a human being, it should be one of my primal instincts. Yet that's not kicking in. I'm going to put my life at risk to prove him.

I could feel my face warp with pain, but that was only for a fleeting moment, "Even if you win here, I will keep coming after you no matter how many times it takes. No matter where you are at school, I'll attack as soon as you show an opening, And I'll have the last laugh."

"Enjoy this temporary pleasure. Go on; victory is within your reach, Kagurazaka!" Despite losing my ability to fight back, I continued laughing to the bitter end.

"Right now...are you laughing at your dominion over me? Are you angry? Or perhaps you're excited? Or perhaps you're irritated? Tell me!"

...

I felt it...

He stared at me without emotions, but his eyes conveyed a different message. It was like I was at death's door.

My heart was trembling as he raised his blood-covered fist.

He shouldn't be called a fairy-tale princess. He was the messenger of death... No... It was like he was the Grim Reaper himself.

He punched me with a blow more potent than any that came before, reaping me of my consciousness.

Kagurazaka's POV

I slowly stood back up from above Ryuuen.

I can't afford to leave Manabe in this cold weather any longer than this. I made my way over to my umbrella and picked it up. I opened it and walked over to Manabe.

It seemed she gained consciousness and struggled to stare at me with her good left eye, "K-Kagurazaka-kun...?"

I extended my hand to her. When I touched her face, it was cold, like it had frozen.

She cast her gaze away from me and looked at Ryuuen. "You... beat him..."

Her body was trembling as I pulled her into a hug.

I'll get private points from Ibuki later. I have something else to do at the moment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.6K 336 6
Ayanokouji, the freedom-seeking boy has woken up to be confronted by a game. A challenge. A challenge which will sculpt his very life into something...
24.5K 1.3K 16
[Ayanokouji in Class C] Ayanokouji Kiyotaka has lived his life controlled by his father, in an environment that broke many lives through sheer violen...
1.9K 45 6
I'm adding characters from other series as my OCs! Their personalities may change to fit the story! Way of writing: XXX: normal text - XXX says XXX:...
8.6K 239 29
Kodo Ikusei High School - is a prestigious school with unrivaled statistics. 100% of graduates from this school go to university or find work. Studen...