Ink and Parchment ~ blood and...

By JustBeing_Nat

Eliza Potter was abandoned in an orphanage by the Dursley's and so 11 years later she refuses to be the Light... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12: A riddle interlude I
13: what happens in the common stays in the common room I
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22: what happens in the common room stays in the common room II
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33- what happens in the common room stays in the common room III
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46: What happens in the common room stays in the common room- IV
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56- What Happens in the Common Room, Stays in The Common Room- V
57- A Riddle Interlude III
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65- What Happens In the common room & A riddle interlude
66
67
The End!!!

34: A riddle interlude- II

1.9K 79 11
By JustBeing_Nat

Durmstrang was dull. Once the novelty of actually attending one of the most famed dark arts schools in the wizarding world has worn off Tom had quickly found himself bored out of him mind. It wasn't as if he would actually be able to learn anything from a NEWT curriculum and now that no one would duel him anymore his days had descended into a monotonous routine. And he certainly couldn't torture Karkaroff whenever he was bored because Tom was bored all the time now and then he'd be down a spy.

But it was all necessary.

The triwizard tournament would deliver him straight to Voldemort and Tom wouldn't have to illegally apparate around the world and stay in shifty muggle B&B's as he hunted down his elusive counterpart. Plus it would be nice to see Hogwarts again, and Eliza for that matter.

He didn't think it was possible to be bored when she was around.

~

He's proven right of course. Not even a day at Hogwarts and Eliza was already providing more entertainment than torturing Karkaroff ever had. Although seeing Dumbledore's face when he had approached his little saviour came in a close second. Tom wondered just what the old fool had been thinking.

He wondered what Eliza was thinking as well. She was good at covering up her emotions, they fell into their old routine of teasing and banter but Tom felt it was all decidedly off. There was something different about her, something he just couldn't quite place. He hoped whatever it was would be solved easily once she had her 'talk' with him in the room of requirement.

It had created a rather odd room for the both of them. There was definitely inspiration from the slytherin common room and he assumed the odd things he didn't recognise were from Eliza's new home at Grimmauld Place. What threw him the most however was the stuff he clearly recognised as his own. The record player in the corner, the coffee table, and the second hand sofa he had saved up all month for. He had no idea what Eliza spoke about to his horcruxes but he had a feeling that that was where she had gained her uncanny knowledge. It made something twist inside him.

He tried to brush off her worries and questions, far to used to working alone to consider confiding all her plans with him and felt himself jolt slightly at her acidic tone.

"Remember who you're talking to darling" he found himself saying in the face of her disrespect. Unlike everyone else though she didn't cower or plead for forgiveness. She tilted her head back, arsenic green eyes glinting defiantly as she drew her wand. Tom studied her as he felt it jab against his throat.

She really was quite fascinating. Powerful and defiant - certainly not a child. Tom remembered what he was like at her age, quick to anger, indignant at being treated like he was a child, like he was lesser when he knew he was made for more. It had stung.

And here he was, treating the only girl, the only person, who had ever met him like an equal in the exact same way.

He apologised although he regretted it a second later at the sound of her teasing voice

"You lost Voldemort"

Tom was a dark lord, he didn't get flustered. Not even because of his most impudent horcrux. He continued to explain the rest of his plan to her, albeit being a bit vague with the details. If she knew about her name being in the cup her reaction wouldn't be as authentic. He trusted her acting but she had to fool the entire school and proclaim her innocence. There was no way she would be able to use a magical vow if she was technically operating as his accomplice.

"One last favour Eliza" he said to her, taking her hands into his own and silently revelling in the warmth that coursed through him "and then you'll be free"

Some quiet part of Tom hoped that she wouldn't want to be.

He knew that he'd never be free of her.

~

Severus Snape was admittedly someone that Tom had not factored into his plans. Namely because any memories he had pertaining to Severus Snape were being hoarded by the husk of Voldemort in merlin-knows-where.

So when he found said Severus Snape trying to interrogate Eliza after picking up on his horcrux's distress he was, quite understandably in his opinion, pissed.

"Stay out of this Gaunt" Eliza snarled at him and Tom felt his anger flare "this has nothing to do with you"

"I have to disagree darling" he said trying to push down his anger. He would never ask her to change but would it kill her to not fight him at every turn? Here he was, trying to bloody protect her, and she's snapping at him like an indignant hippogriff. What right did she have to go spilling his secrets to whatever pseudo family member she picked up next. They didn't need anyone else, they were fine on their own without meddling little spy's masquerading as dungeon bats.

"We can't just Bonny and Clyde our way through this. We need allies and we can best secure them through people who are loyal to me"

She had a point, but loyalty could always be bought. Tom had stopped putting much stock in things like that years ago. He could always just kill the man. That would solve Tom's problems but he had a feeling it would just cause more problems with Eliza instead. At least Eliza conceded to letting him check her dear professor's mind.

With barely a twitch of his fingers Tom slipped inside the professor's mind. He could tell how hard it was for the man, a rather brilliant occlumens, to let Tom have unrestricted access to his mind and Tom tried to respect his boundaries as much as he could.

He'd had Dumbledore try to snoop in his mind often enough to know how violating it was when the darkest corners of your mind were ransacked.

Tom darted through most of Severus' memories. Focusing on why he joined the cause and what he could provide. He saw how him killing the Potter's - how him killing Lily had been the last straw for the man. He pretended not to see that boarded up house in Gordric's hollow that was steeped in love and regret. He was just about to leave when a bright memory caught his attention, it was practically pulsing in agitation.

"And will you Severus Snape, vow to protect Eliza Lily Potter with your life?"

"I will"

Tom withdrew from Snape's mind with a crow of laughter. This was just perfect. Severus had never truly changed his allegiance from the dark - not inside anyway. And to get into the old man's good graces he had sworn alliance to Eliza Potter, who was firmly on Tom's side. And there was no way Severus could ever betray them to Dumbledore without endangering Eliza.

"Are you going to tell her or am I?" Tom asked with barely restrained glee. He didn't even bother arguing with Eliza when she kicked him out of the room and instead left with a loud bark of laughter.

Oh he loved it when things worked out.

Although he knew little star was still hiding something. He just didn't know what. But he was sure she'd tell him eventually - Eliza was never the type to keep quiet about something after all.

~

But she was keeping quiet. In fact, Tom would go as far as to say that she was even avoiding him. He had at first thought it was about the incident with Severus but surely she would be over that by now? Tom had no idea what he had done and he hated feeling so wrong-footed.

So before she could escape after the Weighing of the Wands Tom cornered her, he honestly hadn't expected such a blunt answer as to when she'd stop avoiding him.

"When you stop acting like a prick"

She argued with him again and again and Tom could feel his anger rising. He just couldn't tell if he was angrier at her or angrier at himself.

"I'm either your equal in this or I'm out" she demanded and Tom felt decidedly off kilter. He had never given up control to anybody in his entire life, had never needed to. It had always been him, alone in the world. Had always been just Tom. Just him with venom behind his teeth and a quick silver tongue. He had never had anyone stood by his side. And why did she want to be? Why was she so bothered by it all?

Rather than confront any of that however he decided on the simplest solution to his problem.

He cast a jinx at Eliza.

What proceeded was one of the most thrilling duels he had ever taken part in. Eliza was simply brilliant. She twisted her surroundings and spells in a way he had never seen before and Tom would be having a lot more fun if he didn't have to deal with the baggage that came along with their fight.

"My problem" Eliza spat and Tom had to regain his balance when she shot a glacius at his feet "is that you're treating me like I'm inferior"

Tom took great pleasure in sending a cutting hex her way. How was he treating her like she was inferior? He gave more to her than he gave to anyone, it was Eliza who was being unreasonable.

Suddenly he felt a tugging pain beneath his ribs and he stumbled back with a choked gasp.

"Did you just try to summon my heart?"

If he had been anyone else that might have actually worked.

The duel continued and soon Tom simply lost himself in the magic. Everything boiled down to attack, deflect, and repeat. It was instinct and skill combined together as he and Eliza weaved about each other, parrying each attack until-

"Not a coward" she breathed, her wand against his throat. Tom grinned nastily in response and jammed his wand into her stomach.

"Not a winner either"

This close Tom could see the flecks of yellow in her iris as she looked up at him, dark brows screwed together as she levelled him with a basilisk worthy glare.

And then, confoundedly, she lowered her wand.

"I thought we were friends Tom" she said so sadly that Tom felt something within him break, just a tiny bit.

"I- we are" he spluttered because- because if Eliza wasn't his friend than who was? Eliza who teased him and hugged him and stayed by his side throughout everything. What was she to him if she wasn't a friend?

"Well you've not been a very good one"

Her words hung between them, settled into the silence even as she began walking away.

You've not been a very good one.

Tom had always excelled at whatever he put his mind to. Friendship had never been one of those things. He had been treating Eliza with an ounce more familiarity than he did his followers. And she was right, she deserved better than that.

He just couldn't believe it had taken him a full on duel to realise that.

And when Eliza grinned up at him and offered him more forgiveness than he probably deserved Tom felt the world set to rights between them.

She still confused him, Eliza Potter would never cease to confuse the hell out of him. And usually when something confused him he either learnt how it worked or he killed it.

He has a feeling that he'd be studying Eliza Potter for the rest of his life.

~

The first task went surprisingly well in Tom's opinion. He'd never had a chance to be that close to a dragon before. They were really quite majestic beings, loud and proud and dangerous. It was a shame they weren't allowed to roam free like they used to although Tom could understand why people weren't fans of a dragon randomly landing in their village. He honestly wished his task had lasted a bit longer so he could continue to converse with the dragon. The knowledge those beasts must have, it was amazing to think of.

Eliza's task was almost awe-inspiring. Seeing her walk through the dragon's fire, she looked like she had been born to wield it. Slytherins were supposed to be the element of water but as Eliza stood in the arena all Tom could associate her with was fire. Fire in her eyes, in her heart, in her voice. She burned brighter than anything else he had ever seen.

That didn't mean he wasn't terrified seeing her in the middle of dragon-fire though. And he knew she was as well. She didn't usually project her emotions onto him, her occlumency was always air-tight. But he supposed this time he could excuse her for projecting so heavily. The overwhelming feelings of fear and awe crashed over him as he stood in what felt like was the eye of the storm.

Later, after the party in the common rooms (and by Salazar Tom really hadn't missed that) Eliza found him sat in one of the armchairs, looking into the crackling flames. Tom stiffened as she climbed onto the chair with him, evidently having had one butterbeer too many as she curled up against his chest. Tom felt frozen in his place as Eliza breathed softly on top of him.

What was he supposed to do?

Eliza sighed again and wedged herself further into the arm chair, half on the cushions and half on Tom as she placed her head on his chest.

"I'm glad you're here Tom" she murmured sleepily and then promptly passed out, sleeping deeply almost instantly.

And in the silence of the now empty common room Tom had no problem speaking back.

"I'm glad I'm here too Little Star"

Later, the dawn light would start filtering in through the common room's windows.

Later, he would gently move Eliza off him, wedge a pillow beneath her head and a blanket over her body.

Later, he would sneak out of the common room with a crick in his neck and he wouldn't mention what Eliza had told him in a quiet drunk sleepy daze.

For now though Tom would doze off in the armchair with Eliza curled up next to him and feel more comfortable than he had in years.

~

"I don't know what to do Jormugand" Tom complained to the giant serpent who was contentedly snacking on the rabbits Tom had procured for him.

"Master is being silly" the basilisk replied, shoving Tom slightly with his large snout "little speaker will be glad to go to your silly little human festivity with you"

But Eliza had turned him down every time he had asked this past week. Tom had never been turned down before.

"Have you courted her properly master? You should give her a gift"

Tom was just about to snap at the basilisk for bringing up his inane 'mating/courtship' drivel again before he paused in surprise.

A gift.

Now that could work.

She was wearing his necklace, not only that she also looked stunning. He said as much to her and revelled in the faint blush that dusted her cheeks. Eliza Potter was quickly becoming his greatest obsession - a dangerous one, yes, but one that left Tom always wanting more.

They chatted and ate and danced. Tom usually hated the formality of these things, they were always boring but with Eliza he wasn't bored. He was even, ridiculously, impossibly, having fun.

Merlin how long had it been since he had simply had fun in something that wasn't war and blood?

Eliza really had no idea how important she was.

It was those thoughts that were running through his mind when he pulled her in for another spin, slowly rotating on the spot. It felt like they were the only people in the room. And that was why it hurt when he saw that melancholic look appear in her eye when he told her about his missing memories. Tom had no idea why but he didn't want to see Eliza looking sad ever again.

"What are you doing?" her voice called after him as Tom made his way towards where the band was playing, a jump in his steps.

"Livening this party up a bit" he called back feeling a grin pull at his lips. There were only so many times he could dance to the same old mournful waltz after all. It had admittedly been a while since he had gone to an old dance. The last time he could remember actually doing swing was at old Slughorn's slug club parties. That man had almost no morals but what he lacked he made up for in naivety and a good taste in music.

The jazz music immediately blared out across the hall and Tom had to smother a large smile at the sound. It had been too long since he had last done this, or maybe his excitement was due to the fact that his company had never been so fascinating. He was surprised at how well Eliza actually could swing dance as they moved across the room. The world seemed to narrow down to the music behind them and Eliza's wide crooked smile.

"I must have taught you well" Tom breathed out when they finally came to a stop, the music fading out behind them.

"You did" Eliza said back and oddly Tom felt for a minute that the whole world stopped in wait of something, but as quickly as it came the moment fell away.

"You best fix my dress Gaunt" Eliza demanded playfully and Tom found himself grinning back before they were once again swept away into the festivities.

It was some time after that Eliza decided to lead them to the room of requirement for a small Yule ritual. Tom had taken part in many Sabbaths over the years but none had ever felt like this. Eliza's magic crackled around him, surging up to meet his own. It burned like lightning, like dragon-fire and Tom felt like he could burn in it before his own magic rose around him, dark and powerful. It had been years since someone had drawn his magic out like this. Only the strongest wizards could hope to have this much raw power to manifest it outside themselves.

Of course his little star would be the one who could match him, toe to toe.

They move closer together, gravitating towards each other and Tom felt like everything was beyond his control. It was just him and Eliza and then-

"I know I'm your horcrux" the words seemed to stumble out of her mouth and Tom felt as though he had just been jolted awake. How long had she known? How long had she known she was quite literally one of the most precious things to him and had never told him that she knew?

"Well excuse me for not wanting to talk about" she snapped at him and Tom inhaled sharply doing his best to get a hold of his anger.

"What? Like if you don't acknowledge it then it changes the truth?"

Because that was what she had been doing it by not telling him. Avoiding thinking about it, avoiding accepting it as if Tom was a burden she'd rather not have. As though the very thing that made their connection so special was something she could brush aside and scorn.

"I thought you'd accepted what you are" Tom said ignoring her feeble protests. The sooner she realised who she was the better.

"That at some point you were me - that you grew up as a boy called Tom Riddle-

"Stop it" she interrupted again but Tom pressed on. He would not have his horcrux being weak even if he did feel guilt rise in him. Eliza was better than this, he knew she was.

"...and you can't be my equal until you accept every part of yourself. You are my horcrux"

"I'm not just your horcrux" she shouted angrily and Tom felt himself blink in confusion. Of course she wasn't just his horcrux. As if Eliza Potter has ever been 'just' anything in her whole life. She stood in front of him as if she was waiting for him to say something else but Tom had no idea what she wanted to hear. Had no idea what she wanted to hear from someone like him.

"Oh no Eliza, you are all that and more"

Because yes, she was his horcrux. She knew more about him than maybe anyone else alive did. And she was also Eliza Potter, his little star who wrangled an unbreakable vow out of him when she was just twelve years old. Tom still doesn't know what she wanted to hear but he knew that whatever else he could say to her wouldn't be enough.

The clock strikes twelve and he let her walk away from him.

But Tom never gave up without a fight. Even if Eliza Potter was giving him the fight of his life at every possible turn.

~

Tom's only plan for his birthday was to spend it with Jormugand. He had missed the old basilisk in his time away, especially when he had left the castle for the first time. At least the basilisk was always simple to understand, unlike his followers and sycophants. There was no need to charm the basilisk, no need for false pretences or pretty lies. They were just two monsters, protected by Salazar's chamber.

Needless to say he wasn't expecting his solitude to be interrupted - least of all by Eliza who he had apparently gifted an identity crisis for Yule. Her patronus trotted through the chamber and nimbly dodged Jormugand when the basilisk tried to take a bite out of the incorporeal messenger.

"Can you meet me in the entrance hall?" Eliza's voice echoed from the hippogriff. When Tom didn't move the hippogriff pranced around him and tried to nudge him to his feet. Heaving a sigh Tom leapt to his feet, running a hand down his face as the hippogriff urged him out of the chamber.

It wouldn't hurt to see what she wanted.

He hadn't expected anything like this though.

"It is your birthday Tom" she chirped with a soft smile "we're going to celebrate"

A picnic. She had actually gone out of her way to set up a picnic for his birthday, for him. No one had ever celebrated his birthday before. The closest he had ever gotten were quick shags and boring formal balls held by politicians mooching for his favour. His original followers might have tried, at one point, but Tom hated pity and had quickly put a stop to their plans.

But Eliza wasn't fuelled by pity, Tom didn't know what had motivated her actually. Empathy? Or perhaps it was that friendship thing everyone held in such high regard. He didn't think he minded it that much actually, if it meant he could have more nights like these. The stars bright above them and Eliza looking the happiest he had ever seen her by his side.

Tom listened as Eliza rambled on and allowed himself to be dragged behind her as they walked through the toppling towers of junk in the lost and found room until they stopped in front of an old piano.

"Play me something" Eliza said, eyes bright as she looked up at him. He put up a mild protest but the second she had asked Tom knew he would give in to her whims. Settling down at the piano he let his fingers spread across the keys. Tapping out a familiar melody on the higher keys he took a moment to remember the music before it all came flooding back to him. And then, he was gone. He lost himself in the music, dark, angry and mournful and felt himself be stripped raw and made anew as the melody washed over him.

When he finally came back to himself it was to the sight of Eliza's awe-filed face, feeding his ever growing obsession.

She left him with the memories of his horcruxes.

He watched her walk out of the room, dark hair tumbling in waves down her back as she walked away. And then he uncorked the first memory.

Breathing in deeply Tom dropped his head into the pensieve.

Tom watched as he met Eliza time and time again. He watched as he regaled her with stories, laughed and danced with her. He watched how she found comfort in him and how he in turn must have found comfort in her. It wasn't the same as having those memories as his own but at least now he knew. Knew what Eliza looked like when she was hanging onto his every word. Knew how she came to him bouncing with glee and knew how she came to him when she needed a steady presence and comforting voice.

He returned to himself a few hours later feeling renewed, as though Eliza's memories were a divine experience of their own. Tom had felt a lot of things in his life. Anger, obsession, and hatred. Pride, fear and power.

He had never felt anything like this before, a whole new emotion dedicated to Eliza Potter's damning smile.

~

It was almost a shame that Barty had proved himself to be a loyal follower.

Of course Tom knew that having allies was important - really he did.

But school life really was quite boring, without any duels or raids or torture. He had no idea how Eliza coped with the monotony of it day in day out. And then they had discovered that Moody wasn't Moody at all and Tom had felt himself perk up a bit. He had been on his best behaviour these past few weeks, ever since the Snape incident and some part of him just longed to let go. Especially when Eliza was with him, handing the interrogation like a pro.

He wasn't kind when he ripped through Barty's mind - until he realised he had found a devoted follower that was and then he had calmed down and treated Barty civilly. The man was loyal, someone who looked up to him and revered him. There was no need to treat him so deplorably. But still Tom couldn't deny that he still itched for some violence. To light the man's nerves on fire, to gauge out his eyes with his wand and make him watch-

But he wouldn't do any of that.

Eliza seemed to see that tension still filled him because she gave his hand a squeeze as they walked away and Tom sighed at the warmth that ran through him. It was like walking indoors after a storm, hot chocolate in front of a fireplace or relaxing outside on a sunny day. That was what it was like every time he brushed up against her and it was usually enough to calm him down, but not this time. Not when his magic was still clawing against his skin.

The thing was, when you had as much magic as Tom did, it was hard to expel it all. He could use countless household charms all day and barely put a dent in his reservoir. It was a good thing, usually. But sometimes there was simply too much.

So Tom went down to the chamber, stood between the old crumbling columns, and let go. His magic crashed through the room, cracking the floor beneath him and whipping viciously at the columns causing the old rock to fall to the floor with great loud crashes. Until, finally, he felt his magic settle in him.

Tom breathed out heavily as he stood in the wreckage and then slowly started repairing the chamber of his ancestor as Jormugand slithered out of the darkness, plonking his large head next to Tom's. His tongue flickered out and he nudged Tom with his snout.

"Master is agitated - where is your little speaker?"

Tom huffed a laugh and rested a hand on Jormugand's head, scratching the spot between his eyes in a way that Tom knew he loved.

"Eliza can't solve every problem you know" he hissed back, flopping down on the floor so he could rest against Jormugand's body.

"Yes but one day I will not be here master - you will need your little mate"

Tom hushed the basilisk distractedly, brushing a hand through his hair "you know how I get with my magic Jormugand - just like Salazar"

"Then master needs to meditate more - like you used to do when you were a tiny hatchling"

"Yes Jormugand" Tom said and curled up further next to the basilisk.

"And master needs to enter a proper courtship with Little Speaker"

"Whatever you say Jormugand"

Tom didn't hear the basilisks reply, he had already fallen asleep.

~

Names were powerful things.

Names had a lot of power. If you knew a person's name you knew their heritage, some even say if you gave a person your name you gave them your soul. In the old myths names also demanded exchange, an equal give and take.

The name of something he would sorely miss was Eliza Potter. And he in turn was hers.

It left him with an odd sort of feeling.

"I've touched your soul Tom Riddle, my life changed the moment that we met"

And even before that, Tom had to resist saying. For some reason he felt like he had been waiting his whole life for someone like her.

~

The second task was quite simple really - now that he actually had a hostage to save. It's almost touching really, that Eliza trusted him to save one of her court. He preferred the Nott boy but Malfoy was tolerable. He could see a bit of Abraxas in him, the wry humour was the same. Eliza's court as a whole were tolerable really, more so than the other Slytherins in her year. It was rather strange sitting at the slytherin table. In his time it felt like half of his house was made up of the Black family. Then there was Lestrange, Nott obviously, Rosier and Rowle. Sometimes he thought he could see his old followers in the faces of those in Eliza's year, something about their nose, or their eyes.

It was a strange reminder of how much things had changed in his collective lifetime.

He shivered slightly as he sat on the edge of the dock. He had been the first to return with his hostage and now he was simply waiting on Eliza. Thankfully he wasn't waiting long.

She appeared on the back of the kelpie. A real cold-blooded, sharp toothed, spirit damned kelpie and she didn't look phased at all. The beast was monstrous - it was coated in water reeds and seaweed, black coat blending into the dark lake around it as its milky eyes flashed with warning. And Eliza was sat on top of it, like she had been born to tame a water spirit, just like she had been born to wield dragon fire.

She was unstoppable, and she was on his side.

That was if she didn't give him a heart attack first.

~

This might be the most fun Tom had had in a duel since, merlin he couldn't even remember when. Eliza was vicious in her attacks, quick and fluid as well as inventive and Tom could feel his heart pounding in his ears as their duel progressed. The lightning was a surprise and Tom let out an exhilarated laugh as he caught it and felt it crackle dangerously - it reminded him of Eliza herself. Tom quickly sent a barrage of curses at her and smirked in satisfaction when he saw that his blindness hex landed. It would only last ten minutes but it was more than enough for most people to flounder. Except he had forgotten that Eliza wasn't most people.

Biting back a curse Tom dodged a sudden barrage of spells aimed at him - or at least his general vicinity. It seemed the second he moved out of the way of one another took its place and then he practically stumbled into one of her shot in the dark Bombarda's. Tom had to muffle a string of curses as he felt his shoulder pop out of place with a searing painful yank and took his eyes of Eliza for a moment to roughly pop it back into place himself.

When he turned to face her again she was gone.

The duel continued like that for a few more minutes before Tom finally landed an expelliarmus on her, catching her wand deftly as it flew towards him. It was only then did he realise she had him cornered as well.

And as he healed her bleeding palm Tom couldn't even dampen the wild grin on his face.

Eliza Potter made him feel more alive than he ever had before.

~

"I've always wanted to do that" Tom said in the middle of one of their duels, late May. Eliza had just sent her patronus at him and managed to sneak through a few spells around the giant hippogriff.

"It's not that hard - if I did it then I'm sure you can" she replied with a half-smile, tightening the pony tail she had wrangled her hair into.

"I tried before - seventh year. Didn't even manage a wisp. The professor could only recite Dumbledore's rhetoric so it seemed, all love and happiness. No one was really surprised when it became the first spell I had ever failed to cast" he explained as they both moved to repair the chamber's damage from their latest duel.

"They're wrong you know" she said with a surety that took Tom aback "when they thought you couldn't feel happiness or love"

"And how do you work that one out darling?" Tom said lightly but they both tensed at his tone anyway. She didn't respond to his question and Tom couldn't tell if he was relieved or annoyed. He didn't want to hear her reasoning but some part of him yearned to hear her answer his question.

"Besides" Eliza said suddenly, spinning around to face him "they lie about that you know, about what fuels a patronus"

Tom quirked one eyebrow, urging her to continue.

"When I first cast the spell, yes there was some happiness involved. I thought of my court, a family I had to myself. But I was also fuelled by other motivations" she lectured and Tom listened on eagerly "A desire to protect them, a burning ambition to be better for them, to be better with them. The overwhelming want for freedom and the happiness I knew it would bring rather than the happiness that I already had

"The patronus is a complex thing, said to be a true portrayal of your soul. But our souls do not begin with happiness and they do not end with just love. They are full of every conceivable thing in between, that's why mine is a Hippogriff" she finished strongly and Tom couldn't look away from her.

"I think you could do it, if you really tried"

And the strange thing was, he actually believed her.

~

Nagini was a horcrux.

Nagini was not supposed to be a horcrux.

How could his counterpart be so foolish? His familiar had not needed to house a piece of their soul, Nagini had been their loyal companion for years before that. Who was to say she would have even survived the horcrux ritual?

He knew she wouldn't survive the one to reclaim his horcrux.

He couldn't- surely having two small horcruxes wouldn't impact his mind that much nor his magic. It would be okay if he left Nagini as she was, it would have to be.

He didn't think he would be able to bear the loss of his familiar, his precious Nagini.

He just had to tell Eliza about the small change of plans. Eliza who was currently bound to his father's headstone tracking Pettigrew with murder in her eyes and a barely restrained viciousness. Tom darted across the cemetery until he reached Eliza with Nagini at his side.

And then, finally, they heard Pettigrew's voice echo across the cemetery. Tom watched tensely as Pettigrew enacted the ritual. Bone of the father, flesh of the servant, blood of the enemy. Tom wanted to murder Pettigrew then and there for daring to steal blood from his horcrux but Tom restrained himself. Pettigrew wasn't his kill anyway - he wouldn't deny Eliza her vengeance.

Especially when he had bigger things to focus on.

His counterpart rose out of the cauldron and Tom cringed at the sight. It was just monstrous. A body mutilated far beyond recognition, a ghastly husk of everything Tom had once been. Voldemort took all of Tom's ambitions and raked them through the mud. Voldemort couldn't reason, couldn't even think properly. There was nothing left to him but anger and hatred and pride. Voldemort had long since forgotten what it was like to fear, and when you didn't have fear you didn't have any limits. And without limits-

"I am your God" the creature in front of him growled and Tom found himself shaking his head tightening his grip on his wand.

"We don't become God's Voldemort, men only become monsters"

And Tom could freely admit that he was monstrous, but never like Voldemort. He would never become Voldemort. He would destroy him, here and now.

Tom didn't know who cast the first spell - it didn't matter - all that mattered was the feeling of his wand in his hand and the magic crackling around them. The world condensed into the next attack, the next step, the next breath. React and attack, dodge and twist and turn and stay alive. Because Voldemort was shooting to kill and Tom couldn't afford to make any mistakes. He had once chance to do this, to start fixing every mistake he had ever made and he would not let it go.

Tom panted heavily as the duel continued, he was injured, he was flagging and Voldemort knew it. He was being toyed with and it made Tom burn with anger. He cast another flurry of spells but it barely seemed to effect the thing in front of him. Voldemort wasn't human, couldn't be human from the way he took all of Tom's attacks like his body was invulnerable.

Tom wasn't, and he was losing blood fast.

And then, out of nowhere, the graves around them burst open. Tom was still duelling against Voldemort but he still felt the creeping horror as bodies began to crawl out of their graves. He hadn't thought Voldemort would use inferi against him but-

The inferi weren't heading towards Tom. They were surrounding Voldemort.

An army of the dead surrounded him, dragging and stumbling forwards in attack as Voldemort desperately tried to fend them off. An army of the dead all under Eliza's command, her control. Fire-heart, spirit tamer, master of death itself Eliza Potter.

She was terrifying, in a way that left Tom wanting more.

Turning back to Voldemort who was sufficiently distracted by the inferi Tom finally slipped a spell through his shields; Salazar's own petrification curse.

The wound to his stomach gave a vicious throb as Voldemort finally fell to the ground and Eliza stumbled over to his side.

"Hello Little Necromancer" Tom greeted with a wince as another vicious stab of pain shot through him. He vaguely heard himself argue with Eliza who was peering up at him with worried green eyes (arsenic green eyes, death's eyes) and he watched blearily as she drew the ritual circle for him.

As Tom lowered himself into the circle he focused on his shuddering breathing, focused on the thump, thump, thump of his heart that echoed loudly in his ears. He was fine, he thought as he began to incant the words of the ritual, he was here, he was alive.

It was a familiar refrain. One that he had repeated in an air shelter all those years ago.

He was fine, he was here, he was alive.

He slammed his palm against Voldemort's and screamed.

His body felt like it was being torn apart, like the very cells that made him up were being ripped up and forcibly rearranged, like every nerve ending was on fire and every bone was cracking. His blood boiled and froze at the same time and he wanted it to end - to stop, someone please help. His mind felt like it was cracking in two, all thought left him. Everything boiled down to this moment, this all-encompassing pain that he couldn't escape from and oh god, ohGod it wouldn't stop why wouldn't it stop, pleaseletitstop-

He thought he could hear someone calling him, a name, a voice that felt so familiar but it was beyond Tom's grasp. He was falling, falling down and down and-

He was fine, he was here, he was-

He sunk into darkness.

~

When he woke up the first thing he was aware of was that he was alive. There was no pain, just a bit of soreness, and he was alive. Eliza must have saved him.

Eliza must have saved his life.

What an odd thought.

The second thing he became aware of was that he was in a surprisingly comfy bed, and the next thing he realised was that he was unbelievably thirsty.

It was only when he opened his eyes did he finally realise he wasn't alone.

"Hello Mr Riddle, finally back with us?" said a woman who could only be Narcissa Malfoy. Tom nodded his head in response and gladly took the preferred glass of water, taking a couple refreshing sips when her words finally caught up with him.

Mr Riddle.

They all knew then. Eliza must have told them between everything. She was crap at healing spells, she must have gotten Narcissa to heal him.

"Yes" Tom said politely. He wasn't about to pick a fight with one of the most feared women in magical Britain "Thank you Lady Malfoy"

"Oh just call me Narcissa dear" she said as she began casting numerous diagnostic charms on him. She- she did know he was the dark lord right? She probably did, it was the Black blood - it made them all crazy.

"You gave us all quite a fright Mr Riddle, turning up as injured as you did" she said lightly moving to pull out several potions as Tom watched curiously.

"Is Eliza okay?" he found himself asking and met Narcissa's shrewd gaze head on.

"She was beside herself with worry but other than that completely unharmed. Your plan went off without a hitch aside from you injuring yourself" Narcissa explained and gestured for Tom to take the two potions she had set aside for him. Usually Tom wouldn't accept any potion that he hadn't brewed himself but Narcissa was trustworthy, as far as he could tell from his newly gained memories and Eliza's endorsement. Putting aside his usual paranoia Tom downed the blood replenishing potion and the following purifier as Narcissa nodded to herself.

"How long have I been out?" Tom questioned reaching for his wand on the dresser. Narcissa eyed him carefully but allowed him to place the wand by his side.

"5 days or so- Eliza should be here soon. She's been by your bedside every day"

No sooner had Narcissa said that did the menace herself burst into the room with a blinding smile.

"Tom!" she yelled and threw herself onto the bed with a delighted laugh that made Tom's breath hitch as he listened to her ramble on.

She really was something quite special.

"I'm an accidental necromancer as of right now actually"

Even if she didn't recognise it yet.

~

"I thought you'd like to be rid of me for a while" she joked and Tom found himself shuffling closer to her almost instinctively.

"Oh darling" he said and tucked a stray stand of silky hair behind her ear, her bright eyes never leaving his own "how could you expect me to stay away?"

And then, far more softly than he ever thought himself to be capable of, he pressed a kiss onto her forehead and felt her breathing stutter beneath him.

And the dark lord shall mark them as his equal.

"Goodbye Little Star"

He could feel her burning gaze on him as he walked away but he refused to let himself turn around.

He had a feeling he was going to have a very busy summer.

For neither can live while the other survives.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

997K 35.1K 59
"What the hell, Riddle?!"-S.L.P "Love is a useless emotion. It makes you weak. But I don't mind feeling that fucking emotion if it's you."- T.M.R ...
155K 5.1K 19
No one is completely good and no one is only bad. Every dark person chose that way. It could have been because of bad upbringing, hunger for power or...
1.5M 42K 72
Evelyn Potter was the girl-who-lived, or so they thought. Harry was the true boy-who-lived, who beat Voldemort. After being dumped by Lily and James...
17.6K 497 17
This story takes place just after the Prisoner of Azkaban, and will continue to the end of the series (Hopefully). Harry and Hermione just saved Siri...