51

“Eliza” she heard a voice murmur but she opted to ignore said voice and curl up closer to her pillow.

“Eliza you need to wake up” they said again and began shaking her which Eliza thought was very rude of them. She really would rather they stopped so she could carry on sleeping.

“Eliza you’re the one who told me to wake you up”

“Fuck off”

She heard someone laughing, low and smooth but Eliza ignored it and curled up closer, smiling as she inhaled the comforting scent around her.

“My, my such language Little Star”

“Tom?” she murmured sleepily, blinking blearily.

Tom was propped up against the headboard of the bed, an old book levitating in front of him next to a dim candle. She was resting in his lap, still buried beneath the covers and his hand was resting in her hair, playing with it absently.

“You did tell me to wake you up” he pointed out, ruby red eyes dancing merrily in the darkness.

“I regret it” Eliza groaned and pushed herself up, throwing the blankets off her.

“You could always stay” he pointed out and although the offer was tempting – very tempting, Eliza knew she had to get back to Hogwarts before time caught up with her. Tom let out a sigh as if she was inconveniencing him by being responsible (knowing Tom she probably was) and lazily waved his hand, flicking the bedroom door open.

“My floo is linked up to Severus’ office – and considering this place is unplottable no-one will be able to track it. Don’t get into any trouble on your way there” he drawled and Eliza grinned as she padded out the door only to pause before she walked round the corner. Tom looked at her with an amused look on his face, clearly highly entertained by her dithering.

“I’ll- er, I’ll catch you later?” she stuttered out and immediately headed for the floo, face burning.

Catch you later

“Fucking moron” Eliza muttered to herself and heard Tom’s low, melodic laughter behind her. Eliza was still cursing herself when she stumbled through the floo and into Severus’ office. She was even too mortified to take in the rare and honestly down right disconcerting sight of Severus Snape in pyjamas.

“Rough night?” he drawled and Eliza didn’t even break her stride as she walked out of the room, and merely tossed a ‘shut up’ over her shoulder as she returned to the common room.

Catch you later

Merlin she was an idiot.

~

Albus sighed heavily as he walked into Grimmauld Place, the once macabre house had been thoroughly redecorated by Sirius and Albus was always surprised when he saw the difference it had made to the grim gothic house. However the modern decorating did nothing to alleviate the melancholy mood that had settled over the rather meagre meeting he had called.

It was the day after Samhain and Lord Voldemort had finally wiped out almost all of Dumbledore’s forces.

Sirius and Remus were sat at the edge of the table, Severus grimacing over a cup of steaming coffee. There was Molly and Arthur, as well as their sons Charlie and Bill. Nymphadora sat in the middle, hair dark and lank as everyone stared at her in horror.

Where once a full force of talented witch’s and wizards sat, now only sat eight.

“If you could please recount what happened last night my dear girl – one last time”