Dawn (Nico di Angelo)

By elephants_and_bacon

Why are some of us unpeaceful? Is it because of people? The world? Life, ultimately? Or is it because our reg... More

My Dad Brought Me to Paris for Bad News
Introductions
Nico Gets to Feature in Die Hard
Nico's Dead Identical?
Iris Meets Her Eleven-Year-Old Aunt
Deep-Fried Demigods
Bulls Attack Convenience Stores
History Repeats Itself
Nico Tempts the Dead with Fast Food
Nico and Iris Attend a Counseling Session
Iris is Offered a Job
Iris Trash-Talks Captain Underpants
Nico Saw the Girl of His Dreams
We Destroy Nature
Nico and Iris Try to Kill Each Other
We Didn't Get to Finish the Coffee
We Travel the World
I Pass Out on the Dance Floor
I Care for You
Will Meets His Goat Dad
The Return of Willie
Locked Up in the Disciplinary Room (a.k.a. The Stables)
Sneakers
Percy Murders a Drinking Fountain
Leo Had the Jerseys Made
One Call Away
Iris Hits People with Volleyballs
Will Throws Iris' Milky Way Bars Away
Peace
Solangelo is Real!
Will Doesn't Have a Cure for Tomatoes
Final

Within the Ten Feet Radius

5.6K 220 255
By elephants_and_bacon

Within the Ten Feet Radius

Only one thing crossed Iris' mind as soon as her feet landed on the ground of the eucalyptus-scented state.

It's now or never.

"Hey," Nico shook her shoulder harshly.

Iris hissed as she yanked her shoulder off his grip. This bloke treats ladies like toys.

"Get off me, di Angelo. Just walk behind me and keep up the pace."

And just like that, Iris Stone was already ten feet away from him. Nico arched an eyebrow. Just last night, she was crying in his arms. Even just an hour ago, she was sleeping on his shoulder on the bus. Now, she was back to her sociopath murderer-look princess-feeling mode.

He suddenly thought about the sudden change of events that happened since last night. As they were crying with each other like abandoned children by the veranda, Nico spotted the familiar silhouette of the Greyhound bus a few blocks down from where their motel was. Before the bus left, using the Mist again he was able to fool the driver into thinking that they were passengers who did a quick rest stop.

The last thing that he saw before closing his eyes aboard the vehicle was Iris staring out the window, and it was the exact same thing that greeted him when he awoke. He forced Iris to sleep, and she did a good thirty minutes. He had the drool on the sleeve of his jacket to prove it, but it was too short for her to fully recover her strength. Today was their last chance in saving Apollo, and if they fail, today would literally be the last of the world. Imagine the moon behind a very thick cloud: that is how the sun looked liked now, and they were hopelessly running out of time.

Nico caught a glimpse of Iris' back among the alarmed bustling people and he jogged to catch up to her. He walked beside her and intentionally let their shoulders brush.

"You're breaking rules," he said.

Iris instinctively took a big stride sideways as she cast him a deathly glare. "What are you talking about?"

Nico cleared his throat and did his best British accent. "There shouldn't be more than a ten feet radius amongst us. You just broke a rule you yourself made, Stone."

Iris smirked, trying to hide her smile. She wasn't supposed to at this time. She was surprised Nico haven't forgotten those rules she made back at New York, because she did. Plus, his British accent actually came out wonderfully.

"Said the guy who was walking towards the empousa even if I tried talking him out of it."

"Well, that wouldn't have happened if you didn't rush off like a dungbrain. You-"

"I told you to stop calling me that!"

"-were more than ten feet apart from me too at that time."

By now Iris' body was vibrating as she tried to control her irritation. "It wasn't my fault you were so far!"

"Why? You're not satisfied? Do you want me to... close the distance?" Nico whispered the last part, smiling mischievously.

Iris' eyes widened so much they could pop out. She choked, trying to make up something to say for what she just horribly heard. Then she closed her mouth- which took a lot of force because her jaw locked on hanging open- and decided to let it go as she concentrated back on the road, her cheeks burning.

"Save your games for some other day, di Angelo. Walk."

She advanced away from him again, and he trailed behind her closely.

"Come on, don't get mad. I was just trying to cheer you up."

Iris sighed loudly. "Oh, sure! I absolutely need that. Come on; give me your best shot, di Angelo. I need to cheer up. I need to cheer up because everything depends on me. I need to cheer up because my father's about to lose his power. I need to cheer up because the blasted sun's about to disappear from the world in like, I don't know, five hours?" she ranted sarcastically, her head still focused on the streets.

Nico clucked his tongue. He grabbed her wrist and went the same pace with her. Iris attempted to stop her tracks and ask what in the world he was doing but he kept walking, so she had no choice but to stumble and follow.

"Di Angelo, what are you-"

"I know."

"What?" Iris asked, straining her ears.

"I know." Nico said a little louder, his eyes fixated on his surroundings and even led her through the crowd, but he kept talking.

"I know how you feel. You're tired and scared. You're worried, and I worry about you, too. So calm down, yeah? It might do the both of us some good."

Iris was about to ask what he meant about that, but Nico's hand slid down to her palm, sending shivers down her spine. He squeezed it as he gave her one of those heart-stopping smiles she thought didn't exist. Her facial muscles twitched at their own accord, managing a weak smile, then she looked down on the pavement as she took one sharp breath.

"Erm, uh... w-why do you worry about me?" It took her a lot of courage to let out that squeak.

"What's that?"

Iris sighed to calm herself and repeated it, clearer and louder. 

Nico smiled again as he glanced away. "Because."

"Because?"

"Just because."

"Because what?" Iris pressed.

"Because- oof."

Nico accidentally bumped with another person. He apologized to the stranger then resumed his way, his hand firmly ahold of Iris', and he completely forgot what he had to say.

-

It took forever to reach their destination.

Nico halted, and so did she. In front of them was a tall fence with a big open hallway beyond it.

Iris looked above to see the top of the building, or what she thought was.

The tall structure's exteriors were marble walls, and the roofs were like pointed towers with flags. It looked old and worn out but it still gave that majestic aura. It was so big that Iris knew the whole place was as big as a-

"Castle," she said. "We're here."

She caught movement across the fence, and she saw tourists walking about. But when she squinted her eyes to get a closer look, she tried shaking her head like she was seeing things. They definitely weren't people; luckily they were well-hidden.

"A-Are those..."

"Skeletons?" Nico finished, and Iris gave one last strenuous look and confirmed that they were.

"So are you ready to do this?"

"Wait," Iris was startled with the sudden question. "How are we-"

Nico glared at the nearest skeleton and in less than two seconds it fell limp on the ground. He then held his hand out to her.

Iris studied his face. His face was so determined it looked scary. But at the same time it shone with care. Care for her. She thought about that someone who looked and acted like Nico di Angelo, and how she spent all those years wanting that person back.

She couldn't remember. All she can see was Nico.

She took his hand, and they vanished in black smoke.

-

With a simple glare or a mere touch of a blade, Nico set each skeleton to sleep.

"This way," he panted.

"Are you alright?" Iris asked worriedly. She knew what he was doing for the last couple of minutes was exhausting.

"Just fine." Nico muttered absently as they continued to trek throughout the castle.

They past a few more halls and chambers, always making sure the coast were clear whenever they hid at the foot of a corridor.

Finally, at the end of the west hall, Iris spotted light glowing faintly behind a huge door that stood ajar. She could feel powerful presences inside.

"I reckon we've found it."

"Alright, let's-"

"No." Iris said almost instantly.

"What?"

When Nico turned to her, her face was hard, but he noticed there was a hint of sadness in it. His heart started to pump wildly because he knew this conversation wouldn't be good judging from Iris' expression. He didn't know how he could tell; he just knew.

"I'll have to go in alone."

Nico frowned. "This may be the stupidest plan you've ever-"

"I know!" Iris cut him off. "It's mental but, it's the way it has to be."

"What in Hades'-"

"You're not going." She said sternly.

"I am."

"No, you're not!"

"What's the big idea?" Nico slammed his palm on the wall so hard it hurt. "I'm going with you. Rule number one says we stick together, right? Isn't that what you said? So get it through your skull-"

"I DON'T WANT YOU TO!" Iris screamed, surprising Nico.

"I-I don't want you to sacrifice yourself any further," Iris' eyes watered. "I don't want you to get hurt for me. No."

"My mother and sister are gone," Nico's voice had risen as well. "I can't lose you, too."

"You can't be so sure-"

"And if you do die, I want to make sure that I did all I could to save you, because when I lost those two I did nothing."

"Why am I such a big deal all of a sudden?" Iris demanded. "A week ago you didn't give dung about me! Now you want to be some sort of martyr for my sake? Why are you suddenly like this, huh, di Angelo?

"What am I to you?"

Nico was taken aback with her question. What was she to him?

The son of Hades mustered all his determination and locked eyes with her. "You're someone I won't allow to die. Not on my watch."

"But-"

He held her shoulders. "I'm scared, too, Ris. I don't wanna sit here and do nothing and hope you'd come back, because if you don't, it'll kill me. I can't do the same mistake again. Not with you."

"..."

"Please, Iris."

Iris bit her lip but continued to stare at those pleading eyes. She didn't want to.

"Okay."

-

Iris banged the door open.

"Dad! Where are you?"

Her eyes flashed frantically around the room, but she couldn't see anything. Judging by the echoes of her voice and the vast darkness, she assumed the room was very large. Who knows what might be lingering among the dark, but she still charged around the area, searching for any immortal life form.

As she went farther from the door, she noticed a glowing figure meters from her, so dim the blackness looked like it was slowly sucking its entire existence. It was like a visual representation of the courage and hope Iris had left. It was weak, but she felt that godly presence the light was emitting.

"Dad!"

The great Apollo didn't look so great anymore. Rather, he was greatly chewed up. He looked hundreds of years older than the typical teenager look he always showed up as. He looked like his real age. He struck Iris like an old beggar-slash-prisoner with ragged clothes and chained arms, minus the part that he was faintly gleaming like polished gold. Faintly.

"Oh my gods, Dad, what happened to you?" A hint of brown flashed across her eyes, and Apollo nodded feebly.

"Damn, Iris, do I still need to answer that?" his voice cracked here and there because of his old form, but he still acted like a stubborn teenager going through puberty.

"I'm sorry, I just want to know if you're still alright-"

"I'm fantastic."

"-but don't worry, I'm here now. Let's get you out-"

"No! Don't touch-"

Iris grabbed hold of the chains, and immediately the room was lit.

"-that."

Iris had to look away because of the brightness while Apollo tried to stand and tugged at the chains harshly.

"Hyperion!" he barked hoarsely. "Show yourself!"

A large tongue of fire hovered in front of them. It blasted, and a kneeling figure appeared.

Iris strained her eyes so she could focus on the person, because honestly, it was hard. He was aglow, much like Apollo, but his light seemed to be harsher and crueler, making Iris out-of-this-world tense. His body was shaking slightly because he was laughing. His voice was like a deafening echoing microphone. He stood, and Iris got a better glimpse of his appearance. Along with his intense glowing skin, he was tall and muscular. He wore blazing golden armor and sword made of gold. He had miniature suns for eyes that seemed to glare back at Iris.  

"Iris, my dear! I was beginning to worry," he said mockingly.

Iris clenched her fists. "Let my father go, Hyperion."

Hyperion laughed. "Oh, why would you be unhappy about this? Can't you see we're having ourselves a reunion? Here I am, with my grandson Apollo there, and you, my great-granddaughter. Let's enjoy this!"

"Cut the crap, old man!" Apollo yelled. "Free me and we'll battle this out fairly, like real immortals!"

Hyperion raised a fiery eyebrow. "Are you calling me a coward, little god?"

"Kidnapping a god, you son of a cloud! You could've challenged me for my power because that would be a bit more honorable than this!"

But the titan only cackled again. "You think I am a fool? Why would I challenge you if nature really calls you the more powerful one? And my actions are nothing but courageous, as I had made my stand to no longer follow my pathetic brother Kronos. I am seeking my own power by myself. And I shall take it all out from you."

"I won't let you," Iris said. "I've come to stop all this madness."

"I know you did," Hyperion looked at her amusingly. "That's why I had a few of my friends try to stop you."

"So you were the master."

"Yes, I am." He said proudly. "You see, my dear, the monsters weren't trying to kill you. They acted like they would, but my orders were to capture you."

Her eyes widened. "Why? What do you want from me?"

"Well, I figured once I had Apollo's powers, I would only be as powerful as him. But I wanted to add a bit more; I learned that a certain daughter of his also possesses this ability similar to us sun immortals."

"My photokinesis." She breathed.

The titan smiled menacingly as he unsheathed his sword. "Those monsters were merely the bait, Iris. And I thank you for coming here, because along with your father, I will suck the life out of you right now."

He slashed at her, but she had rolled aside.

"Where is your companion, by the way, the son of Hades?" he asked casually as he kept jabbing and slashing Iris, who kept dodging. "Did he die along the way?"

He lunged so close at Iris that she had to deflect his sword with her own, which was made of Stygian iron.

Hyperion was confused with the weapon. "What-"

"I didn't die," Iris' appearance flicked as Nico di Angelo changed back to his form. "I'm right here."

Then the titan felt the pain of two daggers stabbed behind his back, and he turned around to see Iris Stone, completely basked in the aura of her power. She almost looked as scary as Hyperion.

She took out two more of her knives and started slicing at Hyperion with skill.

"LET. MY. FATHER. GO!"

Nico took the chance to go to Apollo.

"Alright, how do we break these frickin' chains?"

"You need... Hyperion's... sword," Apollo coughed, he was getting weaker by the second and his light was fading. 

"Iris!" he called out. "I need the sword!"

"Yah!" Iris kicked and the sword flew away from the titan's grip like it was nothing.

"Thanks!" Nico said as he caught it. He began gnashing the chains with it.

"You better... hurry, I'm... losing it." Apollo struggled to say. "How... did you... morph into... her?"

"It wasn't anything like morphing," Nico said as he continued to concentrate the chains, which he tried sawing with the sword. Iris and Hyperion kept battling from afar. "I used the Mist. I'm quite good at it, and since both you and the titan were weakened, I thought it just might work good enough to fool him."

"How dare... you... call me... weak."

"I'm trying to save you here, sir."

"Right... sorry."

"Got it!"

The golden chains broke loose and Apollo was lifted off the ground. Light returned to his body and his eyes.

"NO!" Hyperion yelled and Iris retreated back to Nico.

"Look away, y'all!" Apollo called.

Nico and Iris did as they were told as the immortal revealed his true godly form. Only the titan had the power to look at him directly.

When the light had faded, Apollo was back to being his young and handsome form of a teenager, clothed in bright yellow Greek robes. The first thing he did was look down on his clothes and say, "Ugh, I hate wearing these." He snapped his fingers, and in a blink of an eye he was clad in a loose tank top, jeans and Vans.

He then smiled out his blinding white teeth at Nico, as if he wanted him to be awed. He punched his shoulder lightly.

"I'm impressed, son of Hades. You conquered your fear and came all the way here. Anything to keep her safe, huh?"

Nico nodded. "Anything," and Iris' smile traveled from her father to him.

"Then let me take care of the rest, yeah?" Apollo's bow and arrow swiveled into his hands. He winked at Iris and said, "Watch your dad's awesomeness unfold."

"APOLLO!" Hyperion called. "BE A GOOD BOY AND GIVE ME YOUR POWER!"

"Sorry, Granddad, but I'm done playing games."

He and the titan battled, and Iris' mouth hung agape. Since they had the ability over light, they could move as fast as it. She couldn't see which is which, and the power coming from them warmed the whole room like an oven. She also never saw her father, her carefree and silly dad, act so fierce before. 

The titan made a fatal mistake and the next thing they saw, golden dust scattered around Apollo, who struck him back to Tartarus.

There was a moment of silence, then the doors of the hall flew open, revealing Thalia Grace and a few Hunters.

"Oh, the sweethearts are here!" Apollo exclaimed.

"Do not call them that, Apollo." Artemis emerged inside the room as well. "Even after your capture you still act so immature."

"Not in front of my daughter, little sister-"

"I am not your little sister."

"- and besides, I already beat you to defeating Hyperion."

"Hyperion is not our only enemy here, Apollo."

"She's right," Iris said. "The prophecy said, the earth in gold. We're talking about a giant here."

"AND HERE WE ARE!"

The wall across the doors broke completely open, making both demigods and hunters fall to the shaking ground. Two twelve-foot giants entered the room in all smiles.

They looked identical with their appearance and height, with the exception of their braided hair. The giant on the left had purple hair, while the one on the right had green.

"Ephialtes," Artemis snarled.

"Otis," Apollo growled.

"Present!" they chorused.

"Sorry for the delay, folks. But as they say, save the best for last." Ephialtes grinned cruelly.

"And we're here for a special treat; we're bringing death to a she-demigod! Where are you?" Otis acted like he was searching for a volunteer from an audience. His eyes landed on Iris and his smile made her drop-dead uneasy.

"There you are!"

"YOU'RE NOT TAKING MY DAUGHTER AWAY, YOU DIRTY EARTHBREEDS!"

Apollo charged, and everyone did.

The battle was like a miniature war, attacking who was nearest and cautious not to hurt an ally. The battle, though fast, had already gone for several of minutes. But Iris felt they were winning.

She, Thalia and Apollo battled Otis, and when Iris took a second to watch the fight with the other giant, her breath hitched. She abandoned her assault and ran to Nico, whom Ephialtes was holding by the neck. He saw her, and his eyes widened in horror as he caught a glimpse of a spear flying fast behind her.

"Iris!" Apollo and Thalia called out in terror.

She turned, and she too saw the weapon. She stood frozen in the spot, because Iris felt that feeling again, like this was about and supposed to happen.

This was her fate.

And if she didn't move, she might be able to see Jasper Elle again. 

Nico screamed at the top of his lungs to warn Iris, but he couldn't free himself from Ephialtes. Then Artemis shot arrows across the giant's spine, and he lost his grip on him.

He scrambled to Iris and pushed her away just in time. He shut his eyes and waited for it to come.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

579K 29.8K 23
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...
263K 6.5K 36
Heaven and Hell, is there truly a difference? One seraphim thought there was until her world was turned upside down. Now as the second fallen angel...
88.6K 1.7K 28
In the whirlwind world of basketball and broken promises, Nailea finds herself at a crossroads as she prepares to transfer to the same college as Pai...
147K 3.9K 47
TAEKOOK STORY TOP : JUNGKOOK BOTTOM : TAEHYUNG In this story taehyung was purchased by biggest multi billionaire jeon jungkook rude cruel Taehyun...