Peace

Peace

"You're here," Bella Stone said.

Iris wanted to say something brave like, "Alive and breathing," but instead the words that tumbled out her mouth were, "Erm, uh, yeah."

What was Nico doing here?

They stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity. Unlike Iris, who was absolutely dumbstruck, Nico eyed her calmly, as if everything was completely natural.

Little did she know that Nico's heart was crawling up his throat when her eyes landed on his. Those beautiful orbs always had that effect on him. Only did he realize at that moment how much he missed her. He resisted the urge to stand and carry Iris away back to Camp Half-Blood, away from all this tension. All he wanted was for them to cuddle up next to each other at Cabin 13 while he would tell her things like, "You don't need to earn anyone's acceptance. I'm here, and I'm all you need."

He missed her warmth so much, he gave in to temptation yesterday and buried himself under the covers of Iris' bed from years ago. To his surprise, it still smelled of her, only frustratingly faint and young. Now, she was right there in front of him. It was so easy to just whisk her away with him there and then, but he knew this has to happen. That's why he was here in the first place.

Finally, his gaze traveled downwards, and Iris realized that he was looking at her hand, which was wrapped around Will's. She quickly let go of it.

Will pointed at Nico. "What is he-"

Iris cleared her throat and tried to focus on the lady before them.

"Hello, Mother. It's been quite a while."

"You seem casual about this," Bella noted. Her words were slow and cautious. "I admire you."

You admire me?

"Thank you," Iris said politely. "But you, Mother, you're rather... new."

Bella smiled thinly in amusement. Iris had never seen the lady smile at her. "A lot has happened that had made me so."

Her eyes landed on Will. Iris didn't know why she suddenly felt nervous. Well, more nervous. She was sure if things were only going his way, he would undoubtedly chew Bella Stone out for being a horrible mother.

"Mother, I am pleased to introduce-"

"My name is Will Solace, Miss Stone," Will held out his hand casually. He flashed his signature You-know-you-love-me smile. "I am a friend of your daughter."

Phew.

Bella willingly let the son of Apollo take her fingers in a manner of a gentleman. "Yes, I know who are."

"You do?" Will and Iris asked.

Bella walked forward and placed her hand on Will's shoulder. Part of Iris didn't want her touching him, probably because she wanted to protect Will from someone like her mother.

"Thank you for taking care of my daughter," she said. "Your love and care for her is something I can never repay. If there is anything you need of me, I will willingly provide."

Will nodded. "Iris is part of my family now, and family is something you could never turn your back on. We came here hoping that you will live up to that. All I ask is that you do not let her down."

Iris wanted to cry. Those were the nicest words Will had ever said.

Bella's eyes softened, and Iris was getting more and more surprised by how this lady was acting. "I am glad Iris met someone like you."