Life in Zora's Domain - Part...

By Andremoi_88

For anyone who wishes more about Mipha's and Link's life together, this story is a sequel to "Life in Zora's... More

Chapter 1 - Accepting Responsibility
Chapter 2 - Astra and Purah
Chapter 3 - Family Agreements
Chapter 4 - Astra Meets Zelda
Chapter 5 - Catching Up and Diving Down
Chapter 6 - Astra and the Master Sword
Chapter 7 - Motivations
Chapter 8 - Astra Visits Zora's Domain
Chapter 9 - The Right Answers
Chapter 10 - Astra's Day at Zora's Domain
Chapter 11 - Relaxing Rain
Chapter 12 - Astra Returns to Kakariko Village
Chapter 13 - A Possible Future?
Chapter 14 - Astra Returns to Hateno Village
Chapter 15 - Anxious Awaiting
Chapter 16 - Astra Journeys to Akkala
Chapter 17 - A New Life
Chapter 18 - Astra Meets Jerrin
Chapter 19 - Welcome Home!
Chapter 20 - Astra meets Kass
Chapter 21 - Astra Visits Gerudo Town
Chapter 22 - Astra Meets Goron Chief Yun
Chapter 23 - Family Changes
Chapter 24 - Astra Visits the Thyphlo Ruins
Chapter 25 - Memories and Nightmares
Chapter 26 - Astra Gets a Scolding
Chapter 27 - Gossip
Chapter 28 - Like Father Like Daughter
Chapter 29 - Yiga Clan Hideout
Chapter 30 - Near and Far
Chapter 31 - Attack on the Yiga Clan
Chapter 32 - Childish Behavior
Chapter 33 - Princess Coronation
Chapter 34 - Clearing the Air
Chapter 35 - Washing Away Regrets
Chapter 36 - Revisiting Riju
Chapter 37 - Astra Departs Gerudo Town
Chapter 38 - Coping with Change
Chapter 39 - New Time with Old Friends
Chapter 40 - Astra Visits Ruta
Chapter 41 - Mipha's Diary Lost Pages
Chapter 42 - Ancient Energy Miracle
Chapter 43 - Am I Still Me?
Chapter 44 - Spreading the News
Chapter 45 - Bonding and Memories
Chapter 46 - Moving On
Chapter 47 - Mushroom Memory
Chapter 48 - Small Decisions
Chapter 49 - Lake Akkala
Chapter 50 - Getting Acquainted
Chapter 51 - Memory and Princess Power
Chapter 52 - Bad Choices
Chapter 53 - Combat Training Plans
Chapter 54 - Building Good Relations
Chapter 56 - Getting Better Acquainted
Chapter 57 - Echolocation
Chapter 58 - Mood Swings
Chapter 59 - Just Desserts
Chapter 60 - Explaining Astra
Chapter 61 - Music of the Water

Chapter 55 - Meeting the Family

97 2 4
By Andremoi_88

Summary: In the Calamity Timeline, Fallon's friend Torin cautions him about becoming close to the Hyrule Royal Family. Afterward, Fallon has dinner with Queen Zelda and Princess Astra.

In the early afternoon, during a day off from their patrol duties, Hyrule guards Torin and Fallon were seated at a bustling Castle Town food stall renowned for its exquisite meat dishes.

"Everything alright, Fallon?" Torin inquired, his gaze fixed on his companion. "This Gourmet Meat Skewer is delicious, yet you barely touch yours. Is it pre-dinner jitters? You know you need to eat something."

Fallon, fiddling with his food, sighed. "I know I need to eat, but I'm very nervous. It's not every day one gets to dine with the Princess and Her Majesty, the Queen of Hyrule. And if that wasn't enough, I know the Queen will scrutinize me to decide if I'm a suitable suitor worthy of the Princess's affection. That only adds to the pressure."

"I believe the Princess will help ease the mood. If she genuinely cares for you, she'll also want the evening to be a success."

"That's my hope."

Torin paused to savor another bite, then resumed.

"Fallon, can I be candid? As a friend? Given you have no parents or siblings to offer family guidance, I feel compelled to offer some advice. Just promise not to take offense, alright?"

"You have my word, Torin. You've been a true friend for years."

"Look, I get the allure of dating a beautiful Princess: it's like living a fairy tale, right? But remember, Hyrule's Princesses aren't just royalty. They're mysterious, and, it is said, have some enchantment about them. I'm sure you've spent enough time with her, horseback riding and all, to sense a difference."

"She is extraordinary," Fallon acknowledged. "Though most of our interactions feel normal, there are moments that remind me she's far from ordinary."

"Can you be more specific?"

"I'll give you a simple example that happened early in our time together during one of our all-day rides," said Fallon as he proceeded to describe the event.

We had ridden all morning, and it was a mild sunny afternoon with a gentle breeze that rustled the leaves and fluffed her beautiful blond hair. As always, she looked gorgeous, and when she smiled at me, I .... Um, anyway, we were riding slowly side-by-side through Hickaly Woods just southeast of the Dueling Peaks, enjoying the scenery and each other's company.

"Let's quickly veer to the right, Fallon," she said suddenly as she tugged on the reins, nudging her horse in that direction. "There's a bear up ahead, and it might spook the horses."

"Good thinking," I said, steering my horse alongside hers. My eyes searched the woods, but I found no trace of the bear.

As we neared the river, curiosity got the better of me. "As a guard, I'm trained to spot danger, but I didn't see any sign of a bear. How did you know?"

She gave a small laugh, and it was light and teasing. Her laugh is so sweet and musical - I love every moment of it! Oh, um, back to the point.

"Everyone has their secrets. Maybe trying to discover mine will be fun for us both."

I couldn't help but smile. "I'm certainly keen on that. But, a small hint, perhaps? I really would like to know."

"Okay," she said with her cute smile that always melts my heart. "Let's just say we have a knack for sensing danger. Or, if something magical is too much for you, perhaps I noticed fresh bear tracks. Do either of those answers satisfy your curiosity?"

I shook my head, amused. "I must admit, I missed any bear tracks - if there were some. But 'we'? Are you referring to yourself in the 'royal we' sense? It's unusual for you to speak like that."

Her sweet laughter echoed again. "No, not the royal 'we'. I was talking about my sword and myself. It sharpens my senses and makes me more alert to danger. But that's enough of a hint for now. A little mystery can go a long way in keeping you interested in me."

"You know very well I'm more than intrigued by you without any mysteries," I chuckled. "But I'm the guard, and you're the Princess. I should be on alert, yet you often seem to be looking out for me."

She responded softly, "Don't feel that way, Fallon. Having you by my side keeps me safer."

I raised an eyebrow. "How so?"

"Well ... when I'm concerned for your safety, I become more vigilant than if I had only myself to worry about. That better protects both of us. See?" she said with a playful grin.

"Somehow, I doubt that reasoning would earn me any points on a Royal Guard exam," I joked, and we both laughed, continuing our ride along the riverbank.

"So, yes, she's definitely special. There is something about her that's hard to describe, like another worldliness about her," said Fallon as he looked off into the distance toward Hyrule Castle.

"That's exactly my point: she's magical, and so is the Queen. And that may be another reason for your unease about tonight's dinner. Perhaps your subconscious mind is warning you about getting more deeply involved with such people," said Torin.

"Such people? What are you talking about? The Hyrule Royal Family are the most revered people in all the land! I consider it an honor to spend time with them."

"Yes, but you just admitted there is something mysterious about them, an air of danger perhaps," Torin said softly, then paused before continuing.

"Look, I don't like to bring it up," said Torin. "But your childhood in an orphanage probably didn't include tales from long ago. I was fortunate to grow up hearing ancestral tales from my grandparents."

Fallon raised an eyebrow. "I studied Hyrule history in school, Torin, and have read much about it afterward. What are you getting at?"

"There's more than what history books tell," Torin insisted, leaning forward, his eyes alight with intensity. "Our lessons spoke of the kingdom's destruction – the king and his daughter lost. Then, we learn after a century of coping with devastation and tragic losses, the Calamity falls, and the princess, our queen now, returns, untouched by time. My grandfather said people initially called it a miracle, a gift from the Goddess Hylia to her long-suffering people. But later, some began to whisper that what happened must have been more the Queen's own doing than some divine intervention. That she possessed a magical power within her akin to witchcraft."

"Witchcraft?" Fallon exclaimed, his voice full of skepticism.

"Yes, think about it," Torin urged, his voice lowering as if sharing a secret. "Tonight, you dine with someone who lived over 140 years ago and is still in the prime of life. And she is someone with the power to quell a powerful ancient evil. Consider that."

"Calling whatever power Her Majesty possesses witchcraft is unfair, Torin. The Royal Family has always been a force for good. And being blood descendants of the Goddess, I don't doubt that she and the Princess are special in ways we may not understand."

"Even benevolent forces can be perilous, Fallon," Turin warned, shaking his head. "You never know when something could set them off. Be cautious is all I'm saying."

Torin paused for another bite of his food and realized he was not getting his point across.

"Maybe I'm not explaining things clearly, so let me put it another way. Do you want your life bound up with theirs? Besides their mysterious power, they attract danger. The Royal Family was a Yiga Clan target for years. Look at what they did to the Queen's husband. And isn't it because of danger that the very existence of the Princess was kept a secret all these years? For that matter, look at what you said happened to you and the Princess at Crenel Peak. Do you want to live in constant peril, looking over your shoulder forever? Or do you want a simpler, happier life, raising a family without worry, married to someone more your station in life?"

"I trust the Hyrule Royal Family implicitly, Torin, as should you. And as for danger, I would risk anything to be with the person I love. I hope that's clear enough."

"Remember your promise, and don't get upset at me!" laughed Torin.

"I'm just trying to give you another perspective," Torin added after swallowing the last bite of his meal. "But I sense you're already a lost cause - already too deeply under the Princess's spell."

"I'm in love, so maybe so," laughed Fallon. "Now I had better go and start getting ready for tonight. Wish me luck."

"Good luck," Turin smiled, patting Fallon on the back. "And try to relax."

Fallon chuckled, "Easier said than done after your witch tale and warnings about becoming a magnet for danger! But thanks anyway."

The rest of the afternoon passed quietly, and as dusk fell over Hyrule Castle, Fallon, clutching an invitation emblazoned with the royal seal, approached one of the stern-looking guards at the castle entrance.

The guard examined the invitation closely. "All appears to be in order. We were expecting you," he remarked, his voice unchanging. "Her Royal Highness, the Princess, wishes to see you before dinner. Please, follow me."

"Thank you, sir," Fallon replied with a nod and a courteous smile, then smoothed his hair back as he followed the guard.

The guard led Fallon through a castle hallway, eventually escorting him into a small room where Astra was waiting.

Fallon's greeting stumbled out, a blend of warmth and surprise coloring his voice. "Oh!... Your Highness!"

He was momentarily speechless. Astra, who he usually saw in her riding attire, now stood before him, transformed. She wore a stunning, long-sleeved gown that cascaded to the floor, a vibrant shade of royal blue enriched with gold embroidery tracing the hem, sleeves, and neckline. A bold golden belt highlighted her waist, leading to an elaborate, golden design that flowed down the front. Completing her royal appearance was a gold circlet, centered with a blue gemstone, that rested upon her brow.

Astra thanked the guard, who left with a respectful bow, closing the door behind him. Then Fallon and Astra rushed into each other's arms and began kissing.

Breaking away to catch their breath, Astra adjusted her circlet, her eyes sparkling. "I'm so excited for this evening!"

Fallon, still captivated, exclaimed, "You look stunning, sweetheart! I've only seen you in royal attire in your coronation portrait, never in person. This dress shows a different side of you, and it's breathtaking. Forgive me, you look so beautiful I can't find any words."

"That's sweet. And it reminds me of a story someone read to me as a child, something a mysterious princess from another land once said to the hero of her day," said Astra with a smile. "But it seems I've finally dressed the part of a proper date. I only hope you will get over being tongue-tied. Otherwise, our dinner conversation will be rather one-sided."

"I'm starting to recover, dearest," laughed Fallon. "But that circlet looks elegant, too. It makes you look even more royal."

"Oh, the circlet. Someday, when we know each other better, perhaps I can tell you how I first learned that word. But you're trembling slightly, sweetheart, and I don't think it's from our kisses," said Astra, her fingers gently tracing Fallon's cheek.

Fallon laughed, a trace of nervousness in his voice. "I can't help but be anxious about meeting the Queen. What if she disapproves of me?"

"Don't fret, sweetheart. Your sincerity will win her over. Just be yourself," Astra reassured him.

"By the way, I heard something amusing today. I was warned that Her Majesty might be a witch," said Fallon. "As if I wasn't already nervous enough about meeting her. Silly, isn't it?"

Astra's expression turned serious, and she moved between him and the door as if to block it and prevent him from leaving.

"Where did you learn that, Fallon?"

"Um, a close friend of mine mentioned it," said Fallon. "But he was only repeating what his ancestors passed down from years ago. I'm sorry I even brought up such foolishness."

"I'm sorry too - more than you know," said Astra, shaking her head. "It's not a light matter, Fallon. It's a closely guarded family secret, and its widespread belief could destroy the loyalty of our subjects and imperil our kingdom. In olden times, anyone gaining such knowledge would not leave the castle alive. But don't worry, things have improved since then. We can serve you a memory-erasing potion at dinner," Astra said, her voice tinged with gravity.

Fallon's eyes widened in disbelief, but Astra's laughter soon eased his alarm.

"Oh, Fallon, I love how you're so easily teased! But let's not keep the Queen waiting, or she might actually have to cast a spell on you."

With a sigh of relief, Fallon drew her close again, and they kissed again.

"You've already bewitched me with the most potent spell of all - love. And it's unfair that I can't tell when you're teasing."

"That makes it fun, doesn't it? At least for me," laughed Astra. "But are you sure I am really teasing? Or am I just putting you at ease so you will not cause trouble until we can deal with your memory?"

Fallon laughed and shook his head as they proceeded to the dining room holding hands, where Queen Zelda awaited.

Astra introduced him upon entering the room.

"May I present Fallon."

Fallon bowed respectfully. "Your Majesty, it's an honor."

Queen Zelda greeted him warmly. "I'm delighted to finally meet you, Fallon. And please, no more titles now. Tonight is about friendly conversation, not formalities."

"As you wish, Your ... um, thank you," Fallon nodded, settling into his seat.

Then, unexpectedly, Fallon encountered a moment he hadn't anticipated. As Zelda's smile met his eyes, a warm connection sparked between them. He intended only to return her gaze briefly yet found himself entranced, unable to break away. Her eyes, radiant like pure green emeralds, captivated him, drawing him deeper into their depth. Zelda maintained this intense connection, stretching the moment into what felt like an eternity to Fallon until Astra's voice sliced through the spell.

"So? You agree that everything is as it should be?" said Astra, turning to Zelda with a knowing smile.

"Absolutely, everything is as it should be," Zelda responded with a laugh, her attention shifting to Astra. "Now, let's savor our dinner."

Fallon inhaled deeply, feeling a fleeting headache that soon dissipated as they began to eat.

"This meal is exquisite, thank you," Fallon expressed his gratitude. "I've been so wracked with nerves today, I could barely eat. This comes as a great relief."

"All the more reason to enjoy it," Zelda replied warmly. "And I apologize if I've contributed to your unease. I hope I'm not as intimidating as some might believe."

Fallon shook his head gently. "It's not about intimidation, really. That would imply you're doing something to provoke my anxiety. It's more about my own sense of awe, being in the company of a legend who not only saved our kingdom but has also led it with such grace and dignity. Most of my nervousness, though, stems from my eagerness to prove my genuine love for Her High ... Astra. I fully understand and respect the need to shield her from those drawn to her royal status."

Zelda nodded, a look of understanding in her eyes. "You articulate your feelings well, Fallon. I do believe in your sincerity. Astra and I are quite adept at detecting deceit."

"Yes, and it feels kind of like a magical power sometimes, doesn't it?" said Astra to Zelda.

"It does," laughed Zelda. "Perhaps a part of our Goddess inheritance."

"Oh, speaking of magical power, let me fill your glass, Fallon," said Astra, smiling suddenly at him.

She reached for a bottle of wine on the table and poured some into his glass. "This is a special wine we only serve when we have guests. It should help you relax and forget ... all your worries."

"Um, thank you," said Fallon, blushing as he glanced nervously at his glass while hearing Astra giggle.

"Go ahead. Taste it," said Astra. "It will make you feel like a new person."

Fallon took a sip, and it was delicious.

"Delightful, thank you," said Fallon after putting his glass down. "And I still remember everything."

"It may take a while before it clears your mind," laughed Astra.

Zelda spoke up with a hint of amusement, "I sense there's a private joke here, but I'll refrain from prying. Astra mentioned that Honey-Glazed Mushrooms were what brought you two together, Fallon. Quite a unique story."

Fallon nodded, "Indeed, it was fortunate. They're my favorite snack, and I shared them with a young lady who seemed unsure what to order. At that time, I had no idea who Her High...I mean, Astra was. That chance encounter left me hoping to see her again in Castle Town, but it never happened. It was only after seeing the coronation portrait that I realized whom I had met. I've been in a bit of a mild state of shock ever since."

Astra added, "Sadly, back then, I had to maintain a low profile, working on certain critical matters, including collaborating with the Gerudo. But after recognizing me from the portrait, Fallon risked a reprimand to send me flowers, a gesture I'll always cherish."

"It was indeed sweet," Zelda acknowledged.

After a pause, Zelda continued.

"I was saddened to learn about the loss of your parents at such a young age, Fallon. Losing loved ones is very painful, and you have my deepest sympathy."

"Thank you," Fallon replied. "It's been tough, but I've persevered. Like all your subjects, I'm aware of the losses you've faced as well. My heart goes out to you."

Zelda responded softly, "Thank you. Life has brought losses but also brought me unexpected love. We must never lose hope. Now, let's shift to a lighter topic. Tell me about your interests and aspirations, Fallon."

"My career goal is to join the Royal Guards. I'm diligently preparing for the written exam and honing my combat skills, partly with Astra's valuable guidance. Personally, I aspire to marry and be a devoted husband and father, Hylia willing. My interests include reading, particularly history, hiking, swimming, and horseback riding."

Zelda chuckled, "I'm pleased you value the Royal Guard, an area where Astra and I have had our differences. But we're better aligned now."

"Yes, I've learned my lesson," Astra admitted. "I must consider the broader welfare of the kingdom."

"Speaking of the kingdom, have you explored much of Hyrule, Fallon?"

"Not extensively, but I hope to. I've seen paintings of many stunning places across the kingdom."

Astra suggested, "If Fallon joins the Royal Guard, he could accompany me on my travels, similar to your knight attendant. This would fulfill my promise of Royal Guard protection, and we could be together. I often visit various parts of Hyrule."

"That would be a dream assignment come true," Fallon agreed.

"An interesting idea, Astra, having feelings for your bodyguard. Nice of you to remind me. But I said guards, plural, not guard. You might be better off if Fallon wasn't on duty the whole time you were together. But let me recommend some interesting locations to visit when you both have time."

Hearing Zelda mention "both" and "together," Fallon's heart soared. Was this implicit approval for his relationship with Astra, or merely hypothetical regarding his potential future role as a Royal Guard? He yearned to believe the former, but Zelda's lack of opposition was enough for now, filling him with hope.

The rest of the dinner was filled with discussions of Hyrule locations and what was noteworthy about them, Zelda remembering past visits there. Finally, dinner was over, and it was time for Fallon to go.

"Thank you again, Your Majesty," said Fallon as everyone rose from the table. "It was a thrill and a delight to meet you."

"And it was nice meeting you too, Fallon," said Zelda. "Perhaps we will see more of each other in the future."

"I'll escort Fallon to the castle entrance," said Astra.

Zelda smiled as Astra took Fallon's hand, and they left the dining room.

"You were perfect, sweetheart," said Astra, pulling him to her for a kiss once they stood in the hallway.

"I feel so relieved," said Fallon after their kiss ended, and they resumed walking toward the entrance. "I hope this means I can see you again."

"It means you had better," laughed Astra. "Or we really will have to cast a spell on you."

"You know it's not fair," said Fallon. "I can never be sure when you're kidding."

"And that's just how I like it," Astra laughed. "Now we're here at the entrance. Goodnight, Fallon."

"Um, goodnight, Your Highness," said Fallon.

" I think it's time to shock the guards a little," Astra laughed, pulling him close for another kiss.

"Sweet dreams," said Astra as they parted. She squeezed his hand once, then turned and left.

"I know my way out, thanks," said Fallon to the guard on duty.

Fallon returned to the barracks, where Torin was getting ready for bed.

"So? How'd it go?" Torin asked.

"I'm completely spellbound," said Fallon. "Much better than I expected. Her Majesty had no objection to me. Now I'll have trouble falling asleep going over it all."

"Well, you had better snap out of it, Prince Fallon," laughed Torin. "We start the morning shift tomorrow. Goodnight."

Meanwhile, Astra returned, her steps leading her towards her bedroom. To her surprise, she found Zelda waiting outside.

"So, Mother, what's your impression of Fallon?" Astra inquired, her voice laced with hopeful anticipation.

Zelda offered a thoughtful smile. "As you might someday realize, no parent ever deems anyone entirely worthy of their cherished child," she began. "However, Fallon comes remarkably close. Should you choose to pursue this relationship, you have my blessing."

The two shared a heartfelt embrace.

"Your approval means the world to me, Mother. Thank you," Astra said, her voice soft with gratitude.

"Goodnight, my dear," Zelda responded, holding her daughter in a warm, protective embrace. "Just remember to take your time and ensure he's truly the right one for you."

"I promise, Mother. Goodnight," Astra replied.

Alone in her room, Astra removed her circlet and prepared for bed. Before turning in, she indulged in her nightly ritual of gazing out the window. The sky was clear, with a slender crescent moon adorning it, and the stars shone brightly above the twinkling lights of the castle and Castle Town.

"Today was quite remarkable, Mistress, even though we were apart," said a voice in her head.

"Why do you say that, Fi?" Astra asked, curious.

"I sense you're advancing in the second part of her Grace's mission for you in this timeline - establishing an heir to continue her bloodline."

"Let's not rush things, Fi!" Astra chuckled. "Love and relationships aren't like battlefields. We're still just dating."

"As you wish, Mistress. Goodnight, and may your dreams be pleasant."

Astra closed the window and climbed into bed.

"Do you ever dream, Fi?"

"In my inactive phases, I review and update my past data to ensure accuracy. Perhaps that's similar?"

"A little, but not quite. Dreams often involve events that never occurred or haven't yet. You might see it as corrupted data, but it can reveal a dreamer's deepest hopes or fears."

"I see," Fi responded thoughtfully. "Then, may your 'corrupted sleeping memory' be joyous."

"I think 'sweet dreams' is a better way to put it, Fi," Astra laughed lightly. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Mistress. Sweet dreams."

A moment later, Astra was fast asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 5K 44
((read whole description to know what you're getting into xD)) There is a secret hiding in the nation of Hyrule. For centuries this land has been a...
21.7K 226 22
Mipha is a Zora princess with an incredible healing power, and when her love interest, Link, comes to deliver a special message from The Royal Family...
437 30 16
During my extended break from writing, I've been playing a lot of Breath of the Wild. With Tears of the Kingdom just around the corner, I figured it...
4.7K 121 64
{This is the 4th book to my 1st book 'Grace and Love'. Obvious spoilers for book 3} What happened in the time while Link and Zelda were gone? What ha...