COTE: The Quiet One Can Be Da...

By Weebooguy

Kagurazaka Norogumi is a unique student and slightly different from the others. Is he mentally and physically... More

Vol.1 Chp. 1: Two Different Students
Vol. 1 Chp. 2: Club Fair
Vol. 1 Chp. 3: A Long Week
Vol. 1 Chp. 4: End Of Peaceful Days
Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Midterms
Vol. 2 Chp. 1: Bad News
Vol. 2 Chp. 2: Finding The Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 3: Bonding With Other Students
Vol. 2 Chp. 4: Dealing With A Stalker
Vol. 3 Chp. 1: A Vacation... Nope
Vol. 3 Chp. 2: Island Exam
Vol. 3 Chp. 3: Misfortune
Vol. 3 Chp. 4: Things Going South
Vol. 3 Chp. 5: Everything Coming Together
Vol. 4 Chp. 1: Trouble On The Cruise
Vol. 4 Chp. 2: Cruise Ship Special Exam
Vol. 4 Chp. 3: More Problems Arise
Vol. 4 Chp. 4: Planning And Threatening
Vol. 4 Chp. 5: Results Speak For Themselves
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 1: Summer Vacation
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 2: Hanging Out
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 3: Troubled Individuals
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 4: Volleyball Match
Vol. 5 Chp. 1: Sports Festival Info
Vol. 5 Chp. 2: Preparing
Vol. 5 Chp. 3: Rules Of Nature
Vol. 5 Chp. 4: Getting Cornered
Vol. 5 Chp. 5: Final Stretch
Vol. 5 Chp. 6: Bitter Sweet
Vol. 6 Chp. 1: Childhood Friend
Vol. 6 Chp. 2: Paper Shuffle
Vol. 6 Chp. 3: Learning More About Someone
Vol. 6 Chp. 4: X
Vol. 6 Chp. 5: Returning
Vol. 6 Chp. 6: Closer To The Exams
Vol. 6 Chp. 7: A Group Was Form
Vol. 6 Chp. 8: Exam Time
Vol. 7 Chp. 1: Pursuers
Vol. 7 Chp. 3: Confronted
Vol. 7 Chp. 4: Fearing The Unknown
Vol. 7 Chp. 5: Ryuuen Loss
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 1: Winter Holidays
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 2: Meeting With Manabu
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 3: A Date
Vol. 8 Chp. 1: Mixed Training Camp
Vol. 8 Chp. 2: Duel
Vol. 8 Chp. 3: First Day
Vol. 8 Chp. 4: Bath Time
Vol. 8 Chp. 5: The Results
Vol. 9 Chp. 1: Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 2: No Changing Intentions
Vol. 9 Chp. 3: New Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 4: Allegations
Vol. 9 Chp. 5: Confronting The Rumors
Vol. 10 Chp. 1: Class Poll
Vol. 10 Chp. 2: Courage
Vol. 10 Chp. 3: Traitor
Vol. 10 Chp. 4: Accusing Another
Vol. 10 Chp. 5: Behind The Scenes
Vol. 10 Chp. 6: Learning The Truth
Vol. 11 Chp. 1: Event Selection Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 2: Discussing Events
Vol. 11 Chp. 3: Moving On
Vol. 11 Chp. 4: Final Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 5: Class A vs Class C
Vol. 11 Chp. 6: Ayanokouji vs Sakayanagi
Vol. 11 Chp. 7: Final Battle
Questions
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 1: Graduation Ceremony
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 2: A Lost And Scared Lamb
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 3: Farewell
Q & A

Vol. 7 Chp. 2: Family Reunion

2.1K 87 27
By Weebooguy

After school the next day, I let out a discreet sigh and relaxed my stiff shoulders. My tense shoulders were due to the actions of a classmate of mine, whose actions I don't quite understand. Suddenly, an unexpected visitor approached me, unaware of my worries. Her skirt swayed slightly in the breeze as she stopped before me.

"Say, Ayanokouji-kun, are you free today?" The girl speaking to me is Satou from Class D.

"If you're okay with it, why don't we have tea together on the way back?" She said so while twirling her hair.

I would describe her as a bold and aggressive student. Satou acted like she had confessed her feelings to me, almost like asking me for a date. Horikita, sitting next to me, did not seem to care. She packed her things and left the classroom. However, I could sense that the members of the Ayanokouji Group were observing the situation closely.

Why is a popular girl like Satou talking with Ayanokouji? That is probably what they're thinking. Haruka, in particular, is interested in the circumstances of the other girls.

"Yeah..."

I don't have any plans in mind for today. Our group assemblies aren't mandatory either, so that's good, too. The stares from the group members are worrying, but that's still trivial.

"Was it bad timing?"

Since I didn't give an affirmative reply right away, Satou anxiously asked me.

"Sorry, Satou. Today's no good".

I hesitated for a while, but ultimately, I declined her offer. The reason for my refusal was that my shoulders were feeling stiff. From the morning until the end of school, I felt uneasy due to the stares I received occasionally. 

Even now, as I'm talking with Satou, that stare remains fixed on me. Chabashira-sensei stayed behind in the classroom after school ended. She's pretending to fill out paperwork, but it's evident she's been staring at me occasionally, almost as though she wants to approach me.

"I-I see. See you later then, Ayanokouji-kun".

I am sorry to hear about Satou's disappointment. It seems like bad luck. After saying goodbye to Satou, I walked out into the corridor to return. However, I found myself facing an immediate danger. At the same time, Chabashira-sensei left the classroom and approached me. 

As I had suspected, she must have had some business with me. It seems that my decision to turn down Satou was the right one. I decided to avoid the conspicuous corridor and opted to take a roundabout staircase that leads to the entrance instead.

"...Ayanokouji," since the crowd had thinned, Chabashira closed the distance and called out to me.

"Do you have business with me?"

"Yeah. Follow me. There's something I need to tell you".

"That's a tall order. I've got an appointment with Horikita now".

I made up an excuse to get out of this situation.

"I don't want to act carelessly as a teacher, but circumstances are circumstances."

Chabashira-sensei, who often doesn't show emotion, now has an unusually vulnerable expression.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

"Unfortunately for you, you don't have the right to refuse. It's an extremely urgent matter."

I don't want to disobey a teacher, but I wouldn't say I like following her. However, my resistance proved to be futile, so I ended up following Chabashira-sensei. We left the student area and finally arrived at our destination.

"The reception office? What do you need to talk about that you brought me here? It's still too early for a career consultation, right?"

"You'll understand soon enough."

I attempted to make a joke, but it appears that she will not answer a student's question. However, instead of being curious about what's beyond the door, I'm more interested in Chabashira-sensei's behavior. 

She seems almost agitated, which is unusual for her. If it were a teacher who usually behaves like this, I wouldn't be as surprised. Nevertheless, Chabashira-sensei knocked on the room door without realizing the doubts I was harboring.

"Headmaster. I've brought Ayanokouji Kiyotaka-kun".

Headmaster, huh? It should be someone a student like me would have no reason to interact with from enrollment until graduation.

"Please enter," I heard a gentle voice but a dignified one befitting his age. And Chabashira-sensei opened the door to the reception office.

A man was sitting on the sofa, and he wasn't wearing a laidback expression; instead, I could see beads of sweat forming on his forehead.

And there's one more person opposite him. I'm sure of it now. That's why I was called out here.

"Now then, the two of you can have your conversation... you don't mind, do you?".

"Of course not".

"I'll be taking my leave, so please feel free to take your time. If you'll excuse me."

The man sitting across from the headmaster appears to be in his 40s. Despite the age gap, the headmaster acted politely and left immediately.

"Then I'll also excuse myself..."

Chabashira-sensei also bowed before the man and left together with the headmaster. I couldn't ignore that she appeared worried at her last glance towards me. As the door closed, the only sound I could hear was the faint noise of the heating system. I stood still without saying anything while the man spoke quietly.

"How about you sit down? I'm meeting up with you of my own accord after all."

It's been one ye... no... one and a half years since I've heard this man's voice.

His way of speaking and tone hasn't changed at all.

Not that I specifically wanted him to, anyway.

"I'm not planning on holding a long conversation that requires me to sit down; I have planned on meeting some friends later."

"Friends? Don't make me laugh. You aren't capable of such things."

He hasn't seen how I live yet but still judges his statement as accurate. I believe he is right; that's typical of him.

"Whether we talk together now or not will amount to nothing."

"So I can assume that I got a favorable answer? If that's so, there's no need to talk anymore. I'm also busy and have some time to come after all."

He didn't pay me any attention while arriving at his conclusion.

"I don't know what the answer you want is."

"I have prepared the papers for you to drop out. I was talking about it with the headmaster earlier. You have to say "yes," then we can be done with it."

He saw my intention to gloss it over and went directly to the main topic.

"I see no reason why I should."

"That may be so for you, but I have some alone."

He looked at me for the first time.

His sharp gaze has not diminished with age; it seems to have only increased. His pupils are like sharpened blade edges as if he can see right into the core of things. Many people have likely felt assaulted by his piercing stare, but I met it head-on.

"You mean a parent, for now, plans on twisting the child's wishes on his own accord?"

"Parent, you say? You have never recognized me as a parent."

"Indeed."

It's suspicious whether this man has ever considered me his child in the first place. It's likely we only recognized ourselves as father and son on paper. It doesn't matter whether there is a blood relation or not.

"The point is, you were acting on your own accord. I ordered you to remain on standby."

He threw out, forgetting to urge me to sit. Then he continued, "You defied my orders and entered this school. I'm ordering you to drop out immediately."

"Your orders were valid only inside the White Room. Right now, I don't need to listen to them anymore."

It was simple logic. But of course, he wouldn't be satisfied with that.

"You have become quite talkative since the last time I saw you. Influenced by this worthless school, I see."

Resting his cheek on his hand, the man looked at me like he was watching excrement.

"Anyway, let me hear your reply to my last question."

"The meaningless one about you not requiring to listen to me anymore? You are my property. The owner has every right to use it as he fits. I don't need to tell you this. Whether you live or die is for me to decide."

To honestly be able to say that in this country in which law rule prevails, what a wicked person.

"No matter how much you are stuck on it, I don't plan on leaving this school."

We are going around in circles no matter what I say. He values his time and dislikes pointless conversations. What's next? He'll play his next move for sure.

"Aren't you curious about what became of Matsuo, who told you about this school and gave you the idea to enroll? What about the woman that helped break you out?"

"Not really."

The woman who helped break me out... He isn't talking about Kagurazaka's mother... right?

I remember his face, but whoever was with Matsuo wore a mask.

"He was managing you as a butler for a year. In the end, he went against his employer's orders."

"He even asked someone to help out with breaking you out. The woman killed a few of my men."

He was talking non-stop, then suddenly stopped. By doing this, he could carve the contents and make the listener conscious of this conversation's grave matter. Using a heavy tone and a deep glance, the listener would assume the talk was about to go in a negative direction, wondering how bad it may have gone.

"Teach you how to flee from me, about this school's existence, and then ignore me, your real parent's intentions, by sending the papers for your enrolment. Truly a foolish thing to do."

He picked up the teacup the school prepared for him and took a slurp.

"That is an inexcusable, unforgivable act. Of course, he had to be punished."

It was not a threat; he stated the facts without mixing his feelings.

"You may have imagined it already. I fired him."

"Since you are his employer, that's a valid reason."

The man who was my butler was close to 60 years old. He was outstandingly good at looking after people and was easy to like. A man well-liked by all children. He married young but was not blessed with children. He got his first child when he was over 40 years old, but he sadly lost his wife in exchange. His child was about the same age as me. I remember him bragging about his son all the time. I have never met his son, but Matsuo told me he was studying hard to repay his father. The smile he had is still burnt inside my memories.

"You must have known about him. Matsuo's beloved son."

He must've seen me remembering them before he added, "As you enrolled into this school, Matsuo's son also managed to pass the difficult entrance exam and enrolled into a famous private high school. He surely worked hard."

He added a pause, then continued.

"But, he has now been expelled."

His words were simple, the meaning clear.

He avoided saying it directly, but he had made sure the school retracted his son's enrolment to punish him.

Because this man had the power to do so.

"And so? Did a man such as you only end it with this? So kind you are."

"His son is a strong child. Even after expulsion from his desired school, he didn't falter. He began enrolment into other schools. But I played my hand with them all. I stopped all his attempts at entering high school and made him give up. It's the same for Matsuo. Spreading his bad reputation resulted in him not finding any new work. The result was that his son lost his course and became unemployed.

It was a speech about how my acts had resulted in Matsuo and his son losing everything. A made-up story, it is not, but the truth. It was a letdown if he only meant to report about this petty thing.

"You are probably not surprised at this point. Since they went against their employer's orders, some form of compensation must be made. But it seems he didn't expect one to such a degree. He was a responsible, kind man from the very beginning. Losing his wife early, raising his son alone, and grieving over his careless actions had led to him robbing his son of his future. He found only one way to save his son. For reparations, he pleaded with me not to touch his son anymore, then last month, he burned himself to death."

This was the point he wanted to say after his long speech: My selfish actions were connected to the tragedy of others.

"His son is now working part-time without guaranteeing whether he can survive the next day. No dreams. No hope."

"His family falling into ruins is all your fault. His son must hate you."

"No forgiveness even after death."

As I was about to ask, "And then," the corners of his mouth curved slightly.

"The man who took care of you, the man who saved you, has died, and you don't seem to be paying any attention. Matsuo would have turned in his grave seeing your attitude. The one he bet his own life."

Right or wrong, the reason for Matsuo and his son's fall to ruins lies with this man. There is no need to feel remorse for dead people. But this man wasn't trying to stir my feelings of guilt. Nor did he want me to show empathy. He just wanted to state that we would show no mercy to those who enraged him. Nothing more than that.

"For the first, I don't have any evidence that what you told me is true."

"Matsuo's report of death has been confirmed. If necessary, I will bring you his records."

So ask me anytime, he strongly implied.

"If he is dead, then all the more the reason for me not to leave this school. As Matsuo helped me enroll despite knowing the consequences, I must succeed in his will."

A joke of a reply to bullshit like this.

"You sure have changed, Kiyotaka."

I can understand why he wanted to say that. I had always followed his... No, more precisely, the White Room's orders. That was the whole world to me. His greatest failure was probably this blank, unknown one-year period of mine.

"What happened to you during this one year? What made you decide on this school in the first place?"

And since he already knew, he pursued the topic.

"Certainly, you have provided us with the best education possible. You may have used methods that the public won't ever acknowledge, but I won't reject the White Room itself. This is why I'm not planning on speaking about the past to anyone or trying to put you in a difficult position. However, you are excessively chasing an ideal. The result of that is me, that's all."

I am a first-year high schooler. 16 years old. However, my knowledge far exceeds the amount I learned in a lifetime. I realized it, was made to know it. Humans have an endless amount of curiosity.

"You taught us a lot of things. Not only the usual arts and sciences but also martial arts, self-defense, wisdom, and much more. Because of that, I wanted to learn about the "world" you threw away."

"Does the conclusion, the answer to that, have anything to do with why you ran away?"

"Will I be able to learn the same things at this school as staying in the White Room? What is freedom, and how does it feel not to be bound by anything? I couldn't have learned that in that place."

This is a fact even he can't deny. The White Room was perhaps the most efficient place in the whole world to raise a human, but you couldn't learn everything. It was an institution that threw away anything unnecessary to the extremes.

"Matsuo told me the only place in Japan you couldn't reach was this school."

"If I hadn't chosen this school instead of waiting on standby as per orders, or if I had made a different decision, I would most likely have been returned to the White Room."

Thus, I strongly reject withdrawing from the school.

"There are some parts I can't understand, but I just have to accept that's how the situation is. Now I see how temporarily shutting down the institution that time before the completion of the plan was a mistake. To think just one year could set back a plan that had been ongoing for over 16 years. And annoyingly, you managed to escape to this school, which was away from my reach."

I know that this temporary shutdown was a heartbreaking memory for him. That is why he so strongly wanted me back. But to make contact after half a year, something else must be behind my back. Is there someone big behind this school?

"I now understand why you came here, but don't think this is the end. As with Matsuo's son, I can force you to quit this school by forcing you to know."

"I don't believe you can interfere with this school as you are right now since the government backs it."

"What makes you think so? That's a statement without any proof to back it up."

"The first one, the bodyguards you always surround yourself with, are nowhere to be seen. You are making grudges, so you shouldn't be so willing to separate from them. But they are not in this room nor the hallway as far as I can see."

The man grabbed the cup and drank the now lukewarm tea.

"Why should I need bodyguards just to visit a high school?"

"That's sloppy, considering you always have them guard when you go to the toilet. You couldn't take them with you even if you wanted to. The authorities behind this school didn't permit it, is what I think."

And if he didn't adhere, he wouldn't be allowed to enter."

"You are still lacking evidence."

"Next, If you could make me quit, you would have done so before even counting to 3. But you didn't do that; instead, you went out of your way to talk to me face-to-face and convince me to quit. Something is weird."

For Matsuo's son, he didn't need to meet personally; he brought down the judgment, I believe.

"And there's another thing. If you made your move in enemy territory like this school and it becomes public, your ambitions... your comeback would forever be a faint dream, isn't that so?"

"Is that what Matsuo put inside your head? So even after death, he still nags me."

"I can't know that just from his mumblings."

I didn't hear anything detailed from him in the first place, but I can infer the details on my own. This man cannot be stopped halfheartedly; Matsuo should have known this, too.

"Leaving aside the shutdown and its influence, I noticed one more problem. No matter how perfect the discipline is, all humans will have a fitting rebellion period."

A mere 15 years of education cannot possibly win over the DNA carved from ancient times.

"Let's put why an individual like you has gone off the paved road as the premise. You know fully well that learning about these unnecessary things has no meaning, so why?"

"The satiable curiosity, and to decide my path. That's all."

"Nonsense. There is no path in life other than the one I planned for you. You are the one who will one day exceed myself and rule Japan. Why can't you realize that?"

"That's just your own fabricated tale."

"Seems I can't get through you after all."

"Guess we have the same opinion."

No matter how far, we are always in parallel. We can never compromise on our understanding.

"The White Room has been restarted. This time, it will be perfect. I have also made preparations to make up for lost time."

"In that case, you should have several successors who will succeed your will. Why bother with me?"

"Certainly, it is as you say, but nobody has the same talent as you yet."

"You cannot lie even to your children, is what you want to say?"

"You think such a worthless lie would reverberate with you?"

That's true.

"These are my last words, Kiyotaka. Consider your answer carefully before answering. What do you wish for? Leaving this school of your own free will or letting your parent forcibly make you leave?"

It seems he wants to drag me back no matter what. I don't know what cards we will use for that sake, but it's simply not worth listening to.

"I have no plans to return," as if slicing through the silence, I quickly gave him my conclusion.

"I don't know whether there is salvation for you, but I have no plans to give up learning. The methods may be different, but this school is indeed raising talent. That's where my expectations are."

"What gibberish. You don't understand what kind of place this school is. This is nothing more than a shack for the mobs. There should be some in your class, I'm sure. Lowlifes without any chance for salvation."

"Lowlifes? That's not true. This is a place where I can find out whether people are equal or not. It's a pretty interesting policy, I think."

"So you think even worthless people can grow up to stand in the same ring as geniuses?"

"That's my wish."

"How much are you going to stray away from my policies?"

"We should end this conversation; you know this won't go anywhere."

"I have a question about the woman you mention," I said.

"Mizutani Kinue's sister... Mizutani Yuuko," I started as I watched the man's lips turn slightly upward.

Kagurazaka's mother tried to break me out the first time but failed.

Kagurazaka Norogumi... Would he have been placed with me?

"What happened to Mizutani Yuuko?" I asked, curious.

"We managed to find her, but she put up a fight. After capturing her, she was tortured, but she would never budge about where the young man was. She was a tough woman..."

"Haven't you done enough damage to his family?" I ask.

A slight, cruel smirk formed on his face, "I'm considering going after his stepmom. Maybe that will make him drop out."

"If the young man would join the White Room, I bet he would've been your equal... Probably above you."

As I showed him my will to finish up, a knocking sound reverberated inside the reception room.

"Excuse me."

After the door was opened, chairman Sakayanagi entered the room, "It has been a long time, Ayanokouji-sensei."

The man bowed deeply. The scene was like that of a subordinate and his boss.

"Sakayanagi... What a nostalgic face. It's been 7, 8 years, I presume."

"I guess it has been that long since I succeeded in my father's position as the board chairman. Time sure does fly."

It can't be helped that I associated that name with Sakayanagi Arisu from Class A.

"You must be Ayanokouji-sensei's... Kiyotaka-kun, I assume? It is nice to meet you."

He tilted his head slightly to the side as he talked to the standing me.

"Thanks for everything. We are done speaking, so I'm excusing myself."

"Ah, could you wait for a bit? I want to talk a bit to both of you."

I couldn't refuse that from the third person, at least not from the board chairman of this school.

"Well then, have a seat."

I took my seat following his invitation. The board chairman then sat down beside me.

"I have heard from the principal. It seems you want to make him withdraw from the school?"

If the board chairman yielded in authority, I would perhaps be cornered.

"That's right. Since his parent is stating so, you should promptly implement it."

I wonder how the board chairman Sakayanagi would return those words. Having his worries elsewhere, Sakayanagi met the man's eyes and replied.

"You are mistaken. True, the parents have much to say regarding their child. If the parents strongly desire it, there are cases where we don't have to consider the student's wishes. Still, that is by considering all facts and reasons. For example, if they were subjected to vicious bullying, etc, it would be worth considering. Does this hold to you, Kiyotaka-kun?"

"Not at all."

"What a farce. I am not usually the one that handles that. I want him to quit the school he enrolled at without my permission."

"Going to high school isn't mandatory. Which school to enroll at is up to the student. Naturally, it would be another story if the parents paid the expenses like tuition. This school has all the expenses covered by the government, so money and materials are not a problem. Thus, we will make the students' autonomy our priority."

It was expected, but I felt grateful for those words.

At the same time, I understood. Matsuo once said, 'This school will allow you to escape the White Room.' He made that declaration because of this man's existence. He's conversing with my father without the slightest hint of fear. And it's also proving effective.

Unlike the headmaster, who bowed immediately before authority, this man seemed dependable.

"You've also changed. What happened to the you who used to agree with me?".

"Even now, I admire you, Ayanokouji-sensei. But it's precisely because I agree with the ideals of this school that my father founded that I intend to succeed him. I'm sure you know that best, Ayanokouji-sensei. None of the policies have changed since my father's time."

"I'm not going to reject your way of doing things. You're free to succeed in your father's will. But if you do that, then why did you even allow Kiyotaka to enroll at this school?".

That man seemed to harbor doubts, so he started interrogating Chairman Sakayanagi.

"Why, you ask? After assessing the results of his interview and exams, I concluded that he qualifies for enrollment. "

"Don't dodge the question. I am aware this school operates differently from an ordinary one. In the first place, Kiyotaka should not have been a candidate for admission. I know the interviews and the exams are a farce."

With those words, Chairman Sakayanagi's expression changed even though he had a pleasant smile until now, "Even though you've already retired from the frontlines, that's very impressive, Ayanokouji-sensei. You're well-informed. "

"His recommendation to this school should have been submitted in secret. And the moment that was done, his admission to this school had already been decided. But, without a recommendation, even the most excellent student would have been disqualified for entry. Am I wrong?".

It does seem to be a fact that they're talking about things a student like me would never hear otherwise.

"There's no way Kiyotaka could've been a part of the selection. In other words, it's strange that he wasn't disqualified. "

"Yes, that's correct. His name was not on the list of students we intended to admit. Typically, when an unexpected application is received from a student who is not on the list, they are all rejected. To camouflage this practice, we have implemented interviews and exams. However, based on my judgment, he is the only one whose admission I approved. While you may be here to take him back with you, he is currently a valuable student under our care. As the school's administrator, I must protect the students. Therefore, I must refuse your request, even if it comes from you, Sensei. Unless he decides to withdraw from the school."

Don't fool around. That man spat out words and turned away from Chairman Sakayanagi to face me.

However, Chairman Sakayanagi continued, "We will not disregard the parent's opinion. If you wish for his expulsion, then along with Kiyotaka-kun and the school, we will conduct a three-way discussion until we reach a consensus. "

Which is another way of saying no to expulsion.

It's safe to assume that man no longer has any cards up his sleeve here.

"I certainly cannot force the impossible on your field. However, if that's your answer, I only have to change my approach. "

"What are you planning on doing? If you intend on doing something extreme."

"I understand. I have no intention of putting pressure on you. "

The fact that this man, who specializes in that aspect, will not do so shows that he can not do so here.

"There should be no problem if Kiyotaka's expulsion occurs using the school's rules as its basis."

"Yes, I can promise you that. I will not give him special treatment just because he's your son, Sensei."

"Then that'll be all. I'm leaving."

That man stood up from the sofa.

"When shall we meet again?"

"At the very least, we'll never meet again here."

"I'll see you off then."

"Unnecessary."

As that man refused to be sent off, Chairman Sakayanagi spoke, "I also find it highly inappropriate that you talked about two deceased women that my little girl cares about. On top of trying to ruin Kagurazaka-kun's life, you should give up because you know he won't accept it. You did take the life of people he cherished."

Chairman Sakayanagi continued, "I don't want to hear about you threatening the young man's stepmom. She is all he has left..."

The man left the room.

"Whew. As usual, whenever Sensei's around, it's always tense, isn't it? You must've had a tough time, too, right?".

"No. Not really."

The only thing that came out was that it was 'as usual.' Since we were alone, Chairman Sakayanagi calmed down and looked at me warmly.

"You see, I've known you for a long time now. We've never spoken directly, but I've always been watching over you from behind the glass. Sensei always praised you, you know?"

"Is that so? So that's how it is."

"What is? What do you mean by that?"

"No. More importantly, Chairman Sakayanagi, about the student allocated to Class A..."

"You're talking about Arisu? She's my daughter. "

"So that's how it is."

"Ahh, but it's not because she's my daughter; she's in Class A, okay? I play fair."

"That's not it. I just wanted to ask you."

And with this, the mystery behind how she knows me has been solved. It's not strange if she's this man's daughter.

"I'm fine with only what you can explain, but I'm curious about what that man said earlier."

"Could it be about the story behind your admission?"

"Yes."

"Yeah. As Ayanokouji-sensei said, this school only admits middle school students nationwide whom it has already conducted a preliminary survey and has marked as qualified. Every year, we work alongside the administrators of each middle school. The result of that would be the students who have gathered here. The interviews and exams are only a formality. Your admission has already been determined, even if you fool around during the interview or score zero on your exams. Of course, students from all over the country apply for admission, so the exams are an excuse to cull them."

So, even if you get 100% on your exam or ace the interview, you'll still be rejected. There's no way a rejected student could discover the truth, either.

This is convincing enough. Students like Sudou, Ike, and others who aren't academically bright, and students like Hirata and Karuizawa, who have had problems, could enroll because of it.

Things like common sense and academic ability are secondary concerns for this school.

"In your case, the moment I decided to admit you, whatever you do will no longer have any effect. Scoring 50% on all written exams won't influence your chances of success or failure either. "

This is truly a unique school.

In all likelihood, this is the first school of its kind in Japan.

"Both you and Ayanokouji-sensei must be wondering. Why does this school, regulated by the government, not admit students based on their overall capability? But that is something you will surely come to understand in the future. What the nurturing policies we hope to achieve are, as well as the results of it. "

Chairman Sakayanagi is brimming with confidence.

"I ended up saying too much. But I can't tell you any more than that. Because you're a student enrolled here at this school, and I'm the one running it after all. "

That he still told me all this must be because I'm in the unique position of being targeted by that man.

"As the person in charge of this school, I will protect its students as far as the rules allow. Do you understand what I'm getting at?"

If I don't follow the rules, he won't be able to help me either.

"Of course, I can also imagine what that man will do from now on."

His options are minimal if he wants to get me out of this school.

"Is it true that Kagurazaka and Arisu are childhood friends?"

"Yes, but the young man has been through a lot," the Chairman's eyes narrowed as a soft smile formed, "Don't do anything that you'll regret. After all, I don't want my little girl to be upset."

"Then please excuse me."

"Alright. Hang in there," it was a warning to me that if I attempted to mess or ruin Kagurazaka's life, then Arisu would attempt to make my life a living hell.

After he gave me that encouragement, I left the reception office. When I left the reception office, I saw Chabashira-sensei waiting a slight distance away for the conversation to be over.

I gave her a bow and tried to walk past her, but she started walking while matching my stride.

"How was your confrontation with your father?"

"It's pointless to try investigating so clumsily. I already understand everything. "

"What do you mean by you have realized everything?".

"Chabashira-sensei. I'm saying that everything you've told me is lies."

"What are you talking about?"

"You mean be trying to hide your unrest, but it's not very subtle."

The way she's looking at me, her speech, and how she chooses her words. It's only slightly off but still different from the usual her. She's trying to hide her emotions to the best of her ability, but it doesn't look like she can hide her unrest entirely.

"That man never contacted you, Chabashira-sensei. Of course, he didn't force you to make me quit school."

"No, your father asked me for help. Like I told you, I've constantly tried to get you expelled."

My father is pressuring me to drop out of school, but it's apparent that he's never been here before based on his attitude. I don't have any concrete evidence to refute his claims, but the idea of him contacting one of my teachers is laughable.

"Stop trying to deceive both of us. Chairman Sakayanagi has told me everything. He told my situation to you the instant my enrollment was decided".

"Did he...?"

I laughed thinly.

At that very moment, Chabashira-sensei realized she had made a blunder.

"Ayanokouji, were you probing me...?"

"Yes. The chairman never told me anything about Chabashira-sensei. But I was certain it was related to you, and now this has become very clear".

I became convinced after seeing Chairman Sakayanagi, who knew I scored 50% on all tests.

"I'll explain my reasoning now. First, I applied for admission to this school, and Chairman Sakayanagi, who knew me from way back, acted independently. And the moment my admission was confirmed, my allocation to Class D was also confirmed. Class D and not another class is because you, Chabashira-sensei, are a teacher who didn't show much interest in the class conflict. The class teachers I've seen so far have all shown a strong ambition to get their classes promoted."

If I'm allocated to a class where I'd stand out, then the chances of me attracting attention would increase proportionately.

"By the way, Chairman Sakayanagi also made a single miscalculation. The teacher of Class D, who holds no love for her class and no drive, is the one who secretly wants to rise to Class A the most."

Chabashira-sensei was unable to reply at all and remained silent. Probably because she knew that my arguing back carelessly, she'd end up revealing it instead. That's why I didn't hold back and went out with my words.

To confirm one more thing.

"You're stubbornly hung up on rising to Class A. But you had no such luck with the students you had so far. That's why you couldn't bring those feelings to the fore and spent your days indifferently. Am I wrong?"

Unlike before, Chabashira-sensei no longer even looked me in the eye.

"That's just your theory, Ayanokouji."

Chabashira-sensei's words of denial no longer hold any power; instead, they sounded weak.

"By chance, the irregularity that is my existence showed up this year, and the situation became different from your usual year. Although many students have problematic personalities, the cream of the crop did gather, too. Horikita and Kouenji as well as Hirata and Kushida. They're all students who, if properly guided, can aim for the upper classes. That's why you'd end up having expectations. It wouldn't be strange if the ambition you kept bottled up surged back out. If you remember the words Hoshinomiya said to you not too long after enrollment, it's straightforward to tell."

Hoshinomiya, an old friend, knew about her desire to rise to Class A.

'You're aiming to supplant them.' Those words of hers were very telling.

"And now, no matter how rudely I act or what insolent words I speak, you only have to accept it all. The fact that the Chairman offered to protect me and considering how you want to use me as your weapon to aim for Class A, the only option you have available is to close your eyes to all the abuse going on here".

As I said, all Chabashira-sensei could do is to listen to all this.

"For someone like you who desires to reach Class A and being stuck with teaching Class D every year, this is a chance you cannot afford to lose. You even used the lie that my father made contact with you to try and use my existence after all. That's why you approached me, and Horikita was only a pawn you used for that purpose. By the way, things aren't so simple".

I never had much ambition and held no interest in Class A in the first place. Not knowing how to control me, who never took much action, she fired the first shot during our first particular exam on that uninhabited island.

"If, by the time the special exams start, we're still unable to hold a candle to the other classes, then we'd never be able to catch up. That's why you panicked and used what the Chairman told you to keep secret. I suppose you could call it desperate measures."

After that, things went favorably for Class D to a certain degree.

However, a miscalculation occurred. That's my father making contact with this school at last. And today, at this very moment, all truths and lies are laid bare.

"You probably intended to shut me down, but on the contrary, you're the one being shut down now."

"I see. The Chairman is probably giving you special consideration. Your abilities are beyond that of a 1st-year high school student. You're wiser beyond your years; is it how it is?"

She breathed, nodded, and admitted, "I'll confess. I don't know your father".

The attitude she tried so hard to maintain up until now collapsed.

"However, what will you do about the fact that if I ever feel like it, I can get you expelled? You committed a serious breach of the rules and informed the school. Expulsion is the thing you want to avoid the most, correct?".

To think she came so far only to threaten me now.

"Regardless of the process, the result won't change, is what you're getting at."

"Exactly."

"How unfortunate, I'm already sure of it. You can't get me expelled".

"Allow me to ask what led you to that conclusion."

I calmed myself down from that agitated tone.

Of course, in the first place, I wasn't agitated at all. I had only acted agitated to draw out Chabashira-sensei's true intentions.

"The current situation speaks for itself. Class D has performed better than it has in most years. Horikita and the other students are slowly beginning to put their strengths to good use. Even if I no longer aid them, it's not like they won't rise to Class A anymore."

Class D is making significant progress and has surpassed Class C. Our positions have already been reversed. However, the distance between the two classes will naturally shorten if a student is expelled. This means that Chabashira-sensei is in a difficult position where she cannot act."

"Even after I've stepped off the stage, the fight will continue as long as Chabashira-sensei holds out hope."

People can't discard their hopes with their own hands.

"And with that, I shall have you release me."

"Now that you know everything, will you stop aiming for Class A?".

Of course, I'm going to stop. The teacher who tried to use me to get to Class A by pretending to be affiliated with my father will no longer hold any sway. In other words, it's no longer necessary.

"At the very least, I think my turn's up."

But I didn't deny it entirely.

People will keep going as long as there's still hope. Even if they know the possibility of it being close to zero, they will still want to believe in that possibility.

Chabashira-sensei stopped walking.

"For now, please just watch obediently. If you continue to approach me based on your personal feelings any more than you already have, it'll just hinder the students."

I emphasized that.

"If I still refuse to release you despite being reckless, what will you do?".

"Then you'll die holding onto your ambitions" is what that choice would lead to. It's not a very wise choice to make."

"Allow me to change the question then. Don't you think there's no guarantee I won't drag you down with me if I ever lose hope?"

"Yes, there's the possibility that the class points will plummet. If so, you'll lose all hope. In that case, I don't mind. If you're going to attack, then please feel free."

She wouldn't stop because I asked her to let her do whatever she wanted.

"But I'd also like to remind you that your position as a teacher isn't guaranteed either."

That's just a threat, but at the very least, it would affect Chabashira-sensei, who knows the details, to a certain degree.

"What about Kagurazaka?" I asked.

"Why are you bringing him up?" Chabashira-sensei asked, crossing her arms underneath her chest.

"Would you have used the same tactic on him?"

Chabashira-sensei was briefly silent before a dry chuckle escaped her lips, "I don't know..."

She seemed not to want to talk to me anymore as I walked away. Although my reunion with my father wasn't exactly joyful, I did gain a lot from it. I don't have to help Class D aim for Class A anymore. Whatever Ryuuen does from now on, I don't have to be involved in it. 

Moreover, I won't face any consequences, no matter what happens to Karuizawa. However, my identity will be exposed if Karuizawa gets caught or decides to betray me. Even if Ryuuen chooses to come after me, if I don't do anything for Class D's sake, it will end with an ambiguous decision.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26K 888 6
I'll try and make ayanokouji act like he does in LN and will change a bit of the story such as the manabu confrontation and sudo case and all because...
1K 44 3
A new arrival has come to the Advanced Nurturing High School. He bears a mysterious past, and unclear motives. Unbeknownst to his peers, whom he will...
12.2K 588 26
THERE ARE MORE BOOKS, BOTH BEFORE AND AFTER THIS VOLUME. READ VOLUME 1 FIRST AND THEN ADVANCE I'm bad at descriptions. The beginning has only started...
5.2K 303 3
After a sudden confession from someone throws a wrench in his plans, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka suddenly finds himself caught in the middle of a crossfire b...