COTE: The Quiet One Can Be Da...

By Weebooguy

Kagurazaka Norogumi is a unique student and slightly different from the others. Is he mentally and physically... More

Vol.1 Chp. 1: Two Different Students
Vol. 1 Chp. 2: Club Fair
Vol. 1 Chp. 3: A Long Week
Vol. 1 Chp. 4: End Of Peaceful Days
Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Midterms
Vol. 2 Chp. 1: Bad News
Vol. 2 Chp. 2: Finding The Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 3: Bonding With Other Students
Vol. 2 Chp. 4: Dealing With A Stalker
Vol. 3 Chp. 1: A Vacation... Nope
Vol. 3 Chp. 2: Island Exam
Vol. 3 Chp. 3: Misfortune
Vol. 3 Chp. 4: Things Going South
Vol. 3 Chp. 5: Everything Coming Together
Vol. 4 Chp. 1: Trouble On The Cruise
Vol. 4 Chp. 2: Cruise Ship Special Exam
Vol. 4 Chp. 3: More Problems Arise
Vol. 4 Chp. 4: Planning And Threatening
Vol. 4 Chp. 5: Results Speak For Themselves
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 1: Summer Vacation
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 2: Hanging Out
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 3: Troubled Individuals
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 4: Volleyball Match
Vol. 5 Chp. 1: Sports Festival Info
Vol. 5 Chp. 2: Preparing
Vol. 5 Chp. 3: Rules Of Nature
Vol. 5 Chp. 4: Getting Cornered
Vol. 5 Chp. 5: Final Stretch
Vol. 5 Chp. 6: Bitter Sweet
Vol. 6 Chp. 1: Childhood Friend
Vol. 6 Chp. 2: Paper Shuffle
Vol. 6 Chp. 3: Learning More About Someone
Vol. 6 Chp. 4: X
Vol. 6 Chp. 5: Returning
Vol. 6 Chp. 6: Closer To The Exams
Vol. 6 Chp. 7: A Group Was Form
Vol. 7 Chp. 1: Pursuers
Vol. 7 Chp. 2: Family Reunion
Vol. 7 Chp. 3: Confronted
Vol. 7 Chp. 4: Fearing The Unknown
Vol. 7 Chp. 5: Ryuuen Loss
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 1: Winter Holidays
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 2: Meeting With Manabu
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 3: A Date
Vol. 8 Chp. 1: Mixed Training Camp
Vol. 8 Chp. 2: Duel
Vol. 8 Chp. 3: First Day
Vol. 8 Chp. 4: Bath Time
Vol. 8 Chp. 5: The Results
Vol. 9 Chp. 1: Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 2: No Changing Intentions
Vol. 9 Chp. 3: New Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 4: Allegations
Vol. 9 Chp. 5: Confronting The Rumors
Vol. 10 Chp. 1: Class Poll
Vol. 10 Chp. 2: Courage
Vol. 10 Chp. 3: Traitor
Vol. 10 Chp. 4: Accusing Another
Vol. 10 Chp. 5: Behind The Scenes
Vol. 10 Chp. 6: Learning The Truth
Vol. 11 Chp. 1: Event Selection Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 2: Discussing Events
Vol. 11 Chp. 3: Moving On
Vol. 11 Chp. 4: Final Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 5: Class A vs Class C
Vol. 11 Chp. 6: Ayanokouji vs Sakayanagi
Vol. 11 Chp. 7: Final Battle
Questions
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 1: Graduation Ceremony
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 2: A Lost And Scared Lamb
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 3: Farewell
Q & A

Vol. 6 Chp. 8: Exam Time

2.7K 104 21
By Weebooguy

'...' Writing
'...' Sign language
"...": Text to speech

Although many students became depressed from the days of repeated studying, time still passed by.

Winter arrived, and the final exam was less than three days away. The school would close for the weekend, leaving the exam to be held on Monday.

The challenge of the exam itself wasn't too much of a worry. As far as Class D is concerned, Ichihashi informed me about the study group results, telling me that they were excellent. 

The problem lies elsewhere, and it involves Ryuuen and Kushida.

Ryuuen aims to beat Class D's overall score and smoke out the existence hiding behind Horikita. I don't know what they plan on doing, but the proper methods would be for Class C to study vigorously or come up with tricky questions.

Kushida is aiming to expel Horikita and Ayanokouji. I don't know how she's doing that, but it involves a deal.

"Thinking about something?"

I stood at the top of the stairs while Ayanokouji and Horikita looked up at me from the base. I shook my head, making my way down.

Horikita held a large brown envelope stuffed with the questions she had created with Hirata and the others over the last month. These questions held the fate of Class D. 

However, Horikita considered this information confidential and didn't let me in on the questions. As Horikita compiled the questions, she was the only one who knew all of them.

I still don't know why they invited me along with them.

"What are the odds?" Ayanokouji asked.

"Hard to say. I hope you're not expecting too much. After all, the school has also been making big adjustments to the questions. However, there's no doubt that we've finished the most difficult part of the exam that we've been given so far," Horikita portrayed a certain level of confidence. Should I consider it to be solidly completed?

"Kagurazaka-kun, have you been studying?" Horikita asked.

She was looking at me with a piercing gaze.

'Yes, Rino-san and I studied.'

She continued to stare before giving a satisfied nod.

We encountered another student in the corridor to the staff room.

"Yo, Suzune."

Ryuuen was there with a fearless smile, holding the same brown envelope as Horikita.

"Is this a coincidence or an ambush?"

"It's inevitable. I've been waiting for you to come."

So, it was an ambush.

"An ambush, then," Horikita sighed disgustingly and walked past Ryuuen.

"Hold up, you're also submitting your questions at the last minute, right? Let's go together," Ryuuen spoke, displaying his envelope in front of Horikita.

"Since I don't know who will take a peep, I understand you'll also be cautious."

"You're worrying about someone in your class? Are you feeling okay?"

"Kuku. No idiot would try to betray me."

"And despite that, you've waited until the last moment to submit your questions as I have," Horikita used an aggressive approach to return provocation for provocation. 

Ryuuen must have been finding this incredibly enjoyable.

We walked on, and he proceeded to follow after us.

"I hope the wisdom you managed to squeeze out of your defective classmates works well for us."

Horikita kept walking, ignoring Ryuuen's existence.

"Ayanokouji-kun, have you been studying properly? I'm curious about the status of your partner as well."

"As it is, I think failure can be avoided."

"There's no use in just thinking it. We can't have any dropouts at all. Do not be negligent even though we're confident about anything Class C might throw at us."

Ryuuen didn't stay silent as he responded to Horikkita's verbal jabs,  "Huh? Are you worrying about someone in your class? That was an interesting remark. It seems like you're finally grasping our way of doing things."

"Who knows? Maybe it was just a cheap provocation. It's just like you."

"Maybe so."

Horikita called for Chabashira-sensei as soon as we arrived at the staff room. Shortly afterward, Chabashira-sensei showed her face.

Ryūen also called for Sakagami-sensei. Sakagami-sensei, who came first, took the brown envelope from Ryuuen quietly.

"Will you accept this?"

"Aah. I'll ask you later."

After their short exchange, Chabashira-sensei showed up and changed places with Sakagami-sensei.

"Looks like you've brought it."

She knew what was happening and only looked down at the brown envelope.

Chabashira-sensei didn't seem to pay particular questions to Ryuuen, who was on the side,

"Chabashira-sensei, these questions I'm submitting are the final versions."

"I'll take it."

Ryuuen watched over the conversation with an eerie smile.

Horikita saw her teacher's hand ready to receive the brown envelope and paused momentarily, "I'd like to ask you something. Is right now alright for you?"

"Ah."

"These questions and answers are equivalent to the success or failure of Class D. We must avoid any leakage of this information. After I give it to you, would you please refuse anyone asking to show it to them? I don't want them to be seen by anyone, including me."

After Horikita's recent failure at the sports festival, it looks like she wants to negotiate. I don't know if Chabashira-sensei knows about it.

"You want me to refuse to disclose the information?"

"Is that difficult?"

"That's not the case. I understand your fear of an information leak and desire to ensure it doesn't happen. The school has no reason to refuse your request either. But, of course, it's conditional."

"Conditional, is it?"

"I have to determine whether or not it's the general will of the class. Has everyone approved of it?"

"I didn't take their words for it, but... I think it's safe to consider this to be everyone's general will on the matter. Since no student wants their class to lose."

"You can't say that either. I've said something like that before, but everyone can have an unexpectedly different opinion. It wouldn't be strange for there to be a student who wanted to lose."

"That's..."

Chabashira-sensei crossed her arms and added, "Furthermore, can you guarantee that the exam questions you have there are what your entire class expects? Your class hasn't collectively consented to the questions before you brought them here."

"Are you telling me to prove it? Do you want me to circulate the questions to everyone and confirm that there aren't any issues?"

"I didn't say that. I mean, things aren't that simple. I can't tell if the student, Horikita Suzune, standing here before me, is acting for the sake of her class. Nevertheless, I'll grant you your request. If any students are to come in contact with me, I will never disclose the questions and answers that you've created."

"Thank you very much. With this, I can face the exam at ease."

"However. I'll dare to tell you one more thing. In general, it's not a good thing that you have to restrict information like this. It's evidence that the class isn't uniting together very well."

"What harsh words. I'm seriously dedicated to improving intraclass relations right now."

Upon hearing this, Chabashira-sensei smiled a little bit.

"You've changed too, Horikita."

"Some things can't always stay the same forever."

"I've accepted your request. However, there may also be cases where disclosure should be permitted when necessary. Unforeseen situations can always happen. Therefore, I would like to add a condition to our deal. If, with your permission, someone asks to see the questions and answers, I will then disclose the information. Is that okay? If I had to assert that I would never show it to anyone, it would be a risk to you, too, right?"

"That's okay. However, please consider my presence to be another requirement."

"That's a good idea. Someone can lie about having received your permission. Let's recognize it then. If someone asks for the questions and answers, I will tell them exactly what you've said, that you did not want to disclose the information out of fear of an information leak. After all, I cannot afford to lie as a teacher."

"That's alright."

Horikita was relieved that the negotiations had been successful for the time being.

Something seemed off during Chabashira-sensei's acceptance of exam questions from Horikita. Ryuuen's casual behavior only added to the odd feeling.

"Let's go, Ayanokouji-kun, Kagurazaka-kun. We've finished our business here."

Before Horikita could walk away, I grabbed her hand. She turned around and faced me with a cold glare as I made eye contact.

"What are you doing?" Horikita asked, "I will stab you."

I let go of her hand before writing into my notebook, 'There's a problem.'

She seemed to realize something was up when she noticed Ayanokouji and Chabashira-sensei staring at each other.

"Chabahsira-sensei, you wouldn't lie to me, right?" Horikita asked.

Chabashira-sensei turned her attention to Horikita, "Yes. As a teacher, that much is only natural."

"Then I ask you, will the questions and answers I submitted to you just now be accepted?"

"It's unclear whether the questions will be accepted until it's confirmed that there are no issues with them."

"What's the matter, Horikita?" Ayanokouji asked.

She didn't pay him any notice as he asked such a question.

"Then I'll change how I'm asking. Before we introduce the current exam questions, there's nothing like 'we've already accepted different questions' or 'other questions are scheduled for acceptance,' right?"

"What do you mean?" Chabashira-sensei asked.

"Whatever happened, the answer can only come from Chabashira-sensei's mouth."

"I have a single answer to that question. The school has already finished accepting and reviewing the exam questions."

The truth of this situation was pointed out to us.

"This... Does this mean someone else submitted the questions and answers?" Her thoughts and feelings couldn't catch up with the conversation.

"That's right. In this situation, the questions that you've made won't be accepted."

"Please cancel the acceptance at once. The correct questions are right here."

"I'm sorry, Horikita, but that's your selfish subjectivity. I received the exam questions from another student and completed reviewing and accepting them. They were worried about similar things, too. They wanted me to keep the exam questions and answers private to avoid an information leak, and if someone who wants to change the questions shows up, I should take their questions and keep them. They also wanted me to tell them who came by afterward."

"How could this happen?" Horikita fell limp on the spot, "Please, who is that student? You can tell me, right?"

"Kushida Kikyou."

Kushida got the first blow by taking bold and drastic action.

"The accepted questions can be changed depending on the situation, right?"

"Right. Let's deal with this unexpected situation. Do note that the deadline ends today. If you want to change the questions, please bring Kushida here."

It's impossible for them because Kushida wants to get them expelled, and I don't think she will listen to me if I ask.

"Horikita or Kushida... I can speculate about which of you lies, but I don't know the truth. It's also possible that an unknown third party is pulling the strings. If you don't settle this intraclass dispute, it's a problem for me."

"How much longer do we have today until we can't correct the questions?"

"By six P.M."

So, two hours left.

"Kukuku... K-kuhahaha! What the hell are you doing, Suzune!" Ryuuen had been watching the entire conversation and laughed.

The man who should have known about this from the beginning spit out laughter at their desperate resilience, "Aren't you already damned? The questions that you created are completely meaningless!"

I still don't know why I came along with them if this would happen.

"Did you instigate this? You're the one who instructed Kushida-san to turn in the questions, aren't you!?"

"Aah, I don't know. There's no way I will know about Class D, is there?"

Horikita raised her voice as she responded to Ryuuen's apparent lies, "I can't stand for this conversation to be eavesdropped on any further by this outsider!"

"Oh, so scary. I suppose I'll head home obediently. I'm looking forward to the results of the exam."

"Aren't you going to look for Kushida, Horikita?"

"I hate the pointless effort."

"Did Kushida-san instruct you not to show the exam questions?" Horikita asked.

"No, I haven't received an instruction like that."

"Let me see them, please."

As she had permission, Horikita requested that Chabashira-sensei show her the exam questions that Kushida submitted.

I didn't want to stay here much longer, so I left.

~Timeskip~

Today marks the beginning of the first half of the final exam. Each pair is required to score a minimum of 692 points overall. Although the necessary score is lower than expected, we cannot afford to be careless. It is safe to assume that the outcome of this match will be decided by the end of the day today.

The match's result will depend on the difficulty of the questions and each class's ability to apply pressure on the other. The first day of the finals includes exams for four subjects: Japanese, English, Social Studies, and Mathematics.

This means that Horikita and Kushida's fates will also be decided today.

As I walked down the corridor to the classroom, I met up with Rino, "Good morning," she greeted me with a tired expression.

'Did you sleep well?'

She shrugged, "I'm fine; I'm usually tired."

If Rino fails, then I fail. 

If I fail, then Rino fails. We could easily drag each other down into the abyss.

"Are you worried about failing?" Rino asked.

I shook my head.

Having arrived at the classroom, someone called to us, "Kagu-kun!"

I wasn't expecting to get tackled into a hug by this perverted woman.

Mori had a frown on her face, "Get off of him, you pervert," she forcefully pulled Ichihashi off of me.

"Oh my, is someone jealous that they couldn't hug Kagu-kun first?" Ichihashi had a teasing smile.

"Is this what you must deal with?" Rino asked boredly.

'Sometimes.'

Rino patted my back, "You have my sympathy."

At the sound of the preliminary bell, all the students gathered their study materials and kept them in the lockers at the back of the classroom. We were instructed to keep anything unnecessary for the exams in the lockers. The only thing that we were allowed to keep at our desks was a writing utensil. We could get additional supplies if our pencil got too short or broke, our mechanical pencil ran out of lead, or our eraser got used up. All we had to do was inform Chabashira-sensei.

"You'll take your first end-of-term exam after this: Modern Japanese. It's forbidden to turn your paper over until I give the signal to start. Pay attention to this."

Chabashira-sensei didn't have the student at the front of each row pass the exams backward but instead placed the exam sheets on each desk one at a time.

"The exam lasts for fifty minutes. Avoid calling in sick or needing to use the restroom as much as possible. Please let me know by raising your hand if you can't wait. You aren't allowed to leave the classroom for any other reason after the start of the exam."

After handing out the exam papers to everyone, she explained the rules for conducting the exam. The students stopped whispering to each other and focused their attention on their exam sheets. Shortly after, the next bell rang, signaling the start of the exam.

"Well then, you can start."

Ayanokouji's POV

As soon as she spoke, everyone turned their exam papers over simultaneously. If Keisei's predictions are correct, the questions will have a pattern we can prepare for. I quickly glanced through the questions to see if my classmates could answer them. The questions were tough, starting from the very first one. However, none of them were impossible. Some questions were already predicted accurately, and some were solvable with a calm mind. This means that Keisei's objective was successful. Additionally, the school made significant revisions to the content, including attempts at misleading questions that were corrected.

However, it's unlikely that we will be able to prevent our average grade from dropping below the grade of the previous midterm exam. Students who lag in their studies might score between 10 and 20 points. Therefore, the supporting partner should aim to score more than 50 points and, if possible, more than 60 points. Even if the students are skilled, they cannot be careless and should try to cross the 60-point hurdle. 

The main challenge lies with students in the middle, like Haruka and Akito. They must stand firm during this time. Their weakness, humanity, must be defended as if their lives depended on it.

Horikita immediately picked up her pen and started on the first question from the seat beside me. She was fully invested in this fight and knew she couldn't afford to lose. Meanwhile, I spun my pen in circles as I contemplated my strategy.

Compared to other students, Satou was more enthusiastic about attending the study sessions, so I expect her to score higher than Ike and Yamauchi. However, I must also ensure my score is good enough to complement hers.

Individual scores won't inadvertently affect the overall class average this time. So, after considering the future, I decided to take the exam on a 60-point basis.

I lifted my head and saw Chabashira-sensei observing the class from the podium. However, I was drawn to Kushida sitting before me, as she wasn't writing anything on her exam paper. Instead, she was reviewing the questions multiple times before starting. 

The exams continued in a tense environment without any small talk or rest. During the fourth exam, which was supposed to be the deciding factor between Horikita and Kushida, a minor incident occurred right after the start signal for the math exam when we flipped over our exam papers.

"Why...?" Kushida's voice leaked out despite her attempt to suppress it.

"What's wrong, Kushida?"

"N-no, I'm sorry. It's nothing."

Our classmates were worried about Kushida, whose voice momentarily faltered. Despite this, she immediately started answering the questions. I observed her closely and realized that she appeared extremely anxious compared to her usual composed self. It seemed like the man in question had made a significant decision. 

Horikita, on the other hand, continued to focus on solving the math problems without getting distracted by Kushida's anxiety. The exam was a fair and straightforward test to showcase everyone's efforts over the last month. Its simplicity made it all the more impactful. Now that the source of my distraction was gone, should I concentrate on the exam?

Horikita sighed and slowly looked up at the ceiling of the classroom.

"You look like you've done everything you can."

"I've never considered studying to be a pain, but I studied more than ever before for this exam," Horikita said.

"What score would you give yourself on the math exam?"

"100 points... at least that's what I want to say. Since there was one particularly unclear question, at the very least, I can say that I scored 98 points. Some questions with a reasonably high degree of difficulty were mixed in."

She instantly asserted her self-graded score without any hesitation.

"It's also possible that you made a mistake or omitted an answer. Is there a chance of getting anything lower?"

"None. I'm confident that I've overcome this exam, at the very least. I think I also managed to get nearly perfect scores in the other three subjects."

"That's great..."

"I challenged Kushida-san to this bet, assuming she would manage a score of 100 points. I was thorough in my approach to not make even the slightest of mistakes. As a result, however, it's shameful since I might have failed to score the final two points."

Humans are not perfect, and it's possible that the person being referred to in the text below might not have scored above 98. This could be because the problems presented by Kaneda were not easy. Even someone as skilled as Keisei might not have been able to score above 90. 

Therefore, it's impossible to say for sure what score was achieved. If the person did get a perfect score, they would undoubtedly get the highest grade in the class. Despite tutoring many classmates, Horikita overcame everything with her willpower and spirit.

"Suzune, I have something I'd like to report. Do you want to head back together?"

Finished with the exam, Sudou came over with his bag in hand, a little low-spirited.

"Something you want to report? I'm sorry, but could you please say it here?"

"Today's exams... I don't think I reached 40 points in every subject. I want to apologize for that. My bad."

It seems that he planned to apologize to Horikita on their way home, but he ended up apologizing here.

"It's not a bad thing. The difficulty of the exam changes every time. Considering what was on today's tests, you've done a good job."

This exam was more difficult than usual, so getting lower scores was inevitable.

"I have some plans so that you can head back with your friends."

"Are you staying too, Ayanokouji? Going home together or something?" He looked at the two of us, skeptical about whether we would do something.

"It has nothing to do with him. I have an appointment with Kushida-san. Is that also a problem?"

"With Kushida? No problem."

Sudou withdrew immediately after he realized that she intended to meet with another girl.

"I'll head home and study then."

"Yes, but considering tomorrow, please go to bed early."

"I know. Kanji, Haruki, let's go back together." Sudou offered to head home with them with a calm attitude, nothing like his usual harsh appearance.

You can naturally avoid the risk of failing if you learn to study. And because we can respond to each test separately without panic, a clear mind is also born.

"By the way, what's your arrangement with Kushida?"

"It's not that important. We should have tried to keep track of our scores, so I intend to confirm things with her."

I understand you would like me to rewrite your provided text to make it more transparent and correct errors. Here is the revised text:

We have some free time until the official results of the test are announced. If the students' self-assessed scores are accurate, then we may not need to wait for the official announcement to determine the winner of the bet. 

However, I am already convinced that Horikita has won. It is apparent from Kushida's shaken demeanor that Horikita Suzune has emerged victorious, so there is no need to inquire about the results. Kushida stood up and left the classroom unsteadily.

"I wonder what's wrong with her?"

"She's probably realized she scored lower than expected, right?"

"I hope so. However, he's also pretty whimsical, after all."

"Are you wondering about what's going on with Ryuuen-san?"

"If he gives her the answers, there's a possibility that she'll score perfectly on the exam. In this case, my only options would be to lose or to draw. You and I would also have to drop out voluntarily."

"In that case, do you intend to prostrate yourself to Kushida and beg for forgiveness?"

"Is that sarcasm?"

"What?"

"Nothing."

Horikita ran to catch up with Kushida, and I also decided to follow in her footsteps.

"Kushida-san."

As Horikita stepped into the corridor, she called out to Kushida, who slowly stopped walking.

"What, Horikita-san?" Her face was tired and weary.

"Is right now a good time? There's something I'd like to confirm. People will be coming here, so can we change places?"

"It depends on what you want to discuss, but this location may be an issue."

"Before you decide, note that Ayanokouji-kun will also be coming along. Since he's been dragged into all this, you don't mind, right?"

Kushida remained silent, but she didn't decline the proposal either. She glanced at her phone to check the time and gave a nod of approval, indicating that she had some other plans scheduled after this. 

Since the school was still bustling with many students, we moved to the particular building to avoid any potential interruptions.

"What you want to confirm with me is our bet on the final exam, right?"

"Yes. Even though the results won't be released until later on, we should have been keeping track of our scores."

"Yeah... I did."

In this bet, Horikita wagered her future at the school, while Kushida put a substantial amount of her dignity on the line. Regardless of the form, she could not have kept track of how many points she would receive.

"I'm confident that I got at least 98 points. How about you?"

Horikita felt anxious and doubtful despite the small size of the matter. She knew that if Ryuuen helped Kushida, it would greatly influence their fate. Kushida seemed unfazed by Horikita's revelations, almost as if she had already anticipated them.

"The outcome is clear even if we don't wait for the results," Kushida muttered, a slight amount of self-mockery in her voice.

"I couldn't have scored better than 80. No, probably not even 80. So... it's your victory, Horikita-san."

"Is that so..."

Since Kushida's score was lower than she expected, Horikita felt a little puzzled.

"I thought you would place higher if you focused on your studies."

"This is just the kind of person I am," she answered disparagingly and sighed.

"Officially, this lasts until after the results are released... I wonder if it will become my win?"

Since the school announces the exam results, there's no room for mistakes.

"That shouldn't be necessary. You won this bet. Are you satisfied, Horikita-san?"

Kushida also understood that even if Horikita made a mistake in her scoring, there wouldn't be an error of nearly 20 points.

"Can I believe it then? That you'll cooperate with me in the future?"

"I'll fulfill my promise. No matter how much I disagree with it. Do you want it in writing?"

"No need. Let's start by trusting each other."

As Horikita spoke, she extended her hand, hoping to agree with a handshake. Kushida remained motionless, staring at Horikita's hand with lifeless eyes.

"I hate you, Horikita-san."

"I know. But I think I can work hard to change that."

Horikita received her emotions head-on.

"It seems I'm beginning to hate you more and more."

Kushida passed by Horikita without even attempting to hold her hand, leaving her outstretched arm grasping at empty air, "I won't interfere, but I will never cooperate with you. Don't forget this."

"Is that so? It's a shame, but it can't be helped. Those are the conditions, after all."

"Don't forget, Horikita-san. The only condition is to refrain from getting in your way."

While her gaze was weak, the dark color of her eyes still latched onto me.

"That's..."

Kushida departed without a word, conveying that she no longer wanted to confront Horikita. Although Horikita was no longer her focus, it appeared that I was next in line. While the argument seemed pointless, my safety was not a part of the bet's conditions.

"I should have weighed the stakes of the bet a bit more carefully."

That said, nothing will likely change with this.

I had come to a single conclusion. Kushida won't keep her promise forever.

Because this isn't something that she can quickly come to terms with. To protect her existence, Horikita and I are absolutely in the way. For Kushida, we're just foreign substances.

 Kushida won't be able to secure a future as long as we exist. The best I can hope for is a momentary respite. 

Kushida's POV

"You're late, Kikyou. Were you having trouble slipping away from your classmates?"

"What do you mean by that, Ryuuen-kun?" I appeared on the remote rooftop as I drew closer to him without trying to conceal my true nature.

"The questions and answers you gave me turned out to be completely different from the ones on the exam."

"Oh, yeah. I switched out the questions right before the deadline. What about it?" He laughed scornfully before taking mineral water from his plastic bottle.

"Like I told you. I will force Horikita to drop out no matter what I have to do. For this reason, I betrayed my classmates and secretly submitted Class D's exam questions. The condition was that I'd get the questions and answers for Class C's math questions in return. If you had kept your promise, Horikita would've voluntarily withdrawn herself from school by now. And yet, you betrayed me."

"What? Are you mad about something like that?"

Of course, I'm mad!

"Something like that? You come out ahead against Class D, and you're just going to end it with that?"

"You're fundamentally misunderstanding the situation, Kikyou. The questions you made weren't used on the exam."

"Huh? What are you talking about? As you instructed, I immediately turned in the exam questions and confirmed everything with Chabashira-sensei. There were no mistakes."

"You haven't noticed yet? Suzune took the steps ahead of time to prevent your exam questions from being formally adopted. Thanks to that, we failed to come ahead and narrowly avoided expulsion. The whole class was depending on this strategy."

"Wait a second... Ahead of time? Such... No way..."

"Just wait for the exam results if you don't believe me. Ten to one, Class C lost to Class D. In other words, our agreement is invalid. I can't afford to show you the correct answers to the exam questions if I don't receive anything in return. That's the natural turn of events."

"Though I'll tell you this, Kikyou. You have no right to bear any grudges against me, so how about thanking me instead?"

"Thanking you!? I lost to Suzune, you know!? What do you want me to thank you for!?"

Thinking about being forced to declare a humiliating defeat against Horikita made my blood boil over in anger.

"For you to get caught in this trap without even knowing it, you sure take things easy."

Ryuuen drew close to me and grabbed my uniform.

He then forcibly unfastened the button of my blazer and began to reach inside.

"Hey! What are you doing!?" He smiled as I pushed him away in a panic.

"Jeez, I'm not going to do anything. Search inside your pocket."

"Inside my pocket?"

While still on guard, I slowly reached into the inner pocket of my blazer.

There was a paper feeling that I wasn't expecting to come across. After taking it out, I found a folded piece of paper.

"What is this?"

It is unlikely that Ryuuen had enough time to place something inside. Therefore, it must have been placed there previously. Upon opening the paper, I discovered a list of questions and answers for the recent math exam. 

However, the questions on the list did not match those on the exam today. Instead, they were the questions that Ryuuen had initially indicated he would submit.

"Why is something like this in my blazer?" I asked myself.

"There'll probably be more than that. There should be several cheating materials scattered throughout your personal belongings. You'll find them if you try looking for them later."

"I don't understand what this means."

"Someone in Class D was prepared to take you out. What would happen if you were accused of cheating during or shortly after the exam? What if I decided to use those questions after all? What would happen if they found that paper on you after you had done well on the exam?"

"I'd be expelled? Even if I didn't cheat? That's stupid!"

"There should be some way to prove it if you're truly innocent, but it's also true that you got the answers beforehand by joining forces with me. So even if you're determined to be guilty, it can't be helped."

"When did this cheat sheet manage to...?"

"You don't have any idea? Have any strange things been going on around you recently?"

"I attended the final strategy meeting with Horikita and the others at Karaoke last week. Something a little strange happened then. A girl started making accusations and poured her juice on me out of anger. She insisted on taking the stained clothing to the dry cleaners to make up for it. Although understandable, given the situation, I don't think there's any connection, but it's still on my mind."

"I'll guess who that girl is. Karuizawa Kei, right?"

"How do you know that? Don't tell me you saw it?"

"How could I have possibly seen it? The reason is simple."

Ryūen tapped his finger against the side of his head to emphasize his deductive capability.

"Explain it in detail, starting from the beginning."

I felt dissatisfied, but I ended up explaining the details. She thoroughly explained the details at the karaoke box. Horikita and Hirata summoned everyone together, and she was seated at the table with Ayanokouji, Sudou, and Karuizawa. Karuizawa picked on me during the discussion and poured juice onto my blazer.

"No doubt, that was a set-up," Ryuuen said.

"Not possible. I gave my blazer to the laundromat but checked the pockets when I handed it over. Besides, the store would have told me if there was anything I missed when I came back to get it. So even if Karuizawa had tried to set a trap back then, wouldn't it have been meaningless?"

"Indeed, that feat would be impossible to pull off then. However, that wasn't her goal. Didn't someone want to know whether or not you had a spare uniform?"

"Spare? Even if that were the case, it's still impossible."

"What makes you so sure about that?"

"Are you saying everyone there had set a trap for me, and I couldn't see through it? I'm not an idiot. I'm always observing the behavior and conduct of the people around me. I would've felt something out of place if they were all lying to me."

"Well, that's probably right. However, the number of people lying to you was one or two at most."

"Huh? How did something like that..."

"There's nothing to worry about. If there was someone who read the situation perfectly, deceiving you is just par for the course. Someone can trace everyone's thoughts, characteristics, habits, and reactions to their surroundings. What kind of remarks you would make? Someone who managed to predict everything completely. Someone who planned out the script to your story as you wrote it."

As I reminisced about that time, I started to believe that anything could be achievable. Specifically, Hirata had a consistent pacifist way of thinking. He would worry if his blazer got stained, and he would also attempt to handle Karuizawa's unreasonable anger. Since it was just before the test, he would undoubtedly inquire if I had an extra uniform to spare. I began to consider that might be the case.

"Once they learned that you only had one blazer, the only thing left to do is plant the cheat sheet in it during gym class or something. It isn't strange that you didn't check the inside pocket of your blazer during the one or two days after you got it back from the cleaners. I suppose there were many other times when they could have tampered with it, too. Nevertheless, the important question here is who thought of it. Not Suzune or Karuizawa, at least. They're not the type who could do something like that."

"So you're saying that they ensnared me?"

"Not long before the exam, a letter charged Ichinose with illegally getting her points, right?"

"It's the one where you set her up. Why was that? There didn't turn out to be anything illegal after all."

"It's a strategy that adequately shows what type of person the mastermind is."

"What?"

"I'm not the one who sent out that letter. The guy in Class D who set you up did."

"I don't get what you mean."

"Do you think I would bother putting a letter preaching of Ichinose's suspicions in every first-year student's mailbox and print my name on each one? No, I wouldn't, but since my name was written on the letters, it's only natural that everyone will think I'm the principal offender."

"You should've denied it if it wasn't you."

"Do you think I would?"

"No."

I quickly understood the situation. Ryuuen has always been attracted to exciting things, so he would have found it entertaining if someone had sent out letters in his name. Moreover, since he was unaware of the allegations against Ichinose, he would also want to uncover the truth.

However, why did the sender specifically mention Ryuuen's name? Perhaps because if the sender were unknown, the message's credibility would significantly diminish. Such doubt could lead to an even more irresponsible handling of the situation.

"But what was the point? They leaked out strange information and also put you on guard."

"I don't know... I've thought about it, but it's unclear. Did he want to know about Ichinose's large number of points? Or... No, that's not possible. It can't be for such a stupid reason."

Ryuuen was about to say it, but then he stopped himself. It was simply too out of touch with reality.

"Hey, Kikyou, I don't know about your past, and I'm not interested in that sort of thing. However, if you continue persistently trying to have Horikita drop out of school, you will be wiped out."

"Things aren't looking good for you either. Isn't it bad for Class C to lose this special exam?"

"That's right. With this, your Class D is now within reach of promotion to Class C."

"How do you feel about getting dropped down by that defective Class D?"

He didn't seem interested in such trivial matters.

This was because he was never interested in such trivial matters.

"It feels fantastic. The showdowns have only scratched the surface of what is to reveal, whether with class A, D, or whatever."

"What does that mean?"

"Do the best you can and aim for the upper class."

Ryūen said this and then turned around, intending to leave.

"This cheat sheet!? Wait! Isn't there something a little strange!?"

"Kuku."

I had noticed something inexplicable after looking at the cheat sheet.

"Tell me what's going on, Ryūen."

"You noticed?"

Some contradiction. Something that shouldn't be there. A new problem had swelled up.

"Why does someone in Class D have the test questions that only you and I should have? I can't think of any reason."

"That's right. The reason why X was able to use these questions is because I gave them to him."

"So you betrayed me."

"That's not true. It was a necessary deal to make with him."

Ryuuen checked his cell phone and found pictures of the questions and answers before he changed them. He sent these pictures to an unidentified email address.

"However... He understands me well."

Before Ryuuen sent the pictures, he had received several messages from X.

The first one had a title that read 'Transaction.' The content of the message was this:

X: Provide Class C's finalized questions and answers for the end-of-term exam.

X: Otherwise, make significant changes to the questions and answers you provide, Kushida Kikyou.

This was the message that Ryuuen had received.

Kagurazaka's POV

I was chilling in my room when there was a knock at my door. I made my way over and answered it. Kushida stood there with a dark look in her eyes.

She entered my room and went over to my bed before sitting down.

A sigh escaped my lips as I closed the door.

She looked at me with frustration as I approached her, "What? You're the one that said I'm allowed to come here and complain."

That wasn't the problem. You barged into my room without saying a word.

Rolling my eyes, I sat on my bed, making space between us.

I did catch her looking disgusted, but I didn't point it out.

Besides, this is my room. I can sit on my bed.

'Well, are you going to start?'

"Do not rush me."

I sighed, and she glared at me.

"Do you think Karuizawa is a bitch?"

'More or less... Why are you bringing up her?'

Kushida ranted about Karuizawa and said many nasty things about her. She even complained about the karaoke incident.

"That bitch put a cheat sheet inside my blazer pocket," Kushida huffed.

'You know it was planned, right?'

Kushida snapped her head in my direction, staring at me with menacing eyes, "Were you part of it?"

I shook my head, 'No, but it was obvious.'

"What do you mean?" Kushida raised an eyebrow.

'Karuizawa-san's behavior was normal, but she gave herself away.'

"Stop speaking in riddles and give me a proper answer!" Kushida said, frustrated.

'You're a smart woman. You can figure it out.'

...

"I want to punch you in the face."

Fair enough.

She started a rant about how much she hated and despised me.

It didn't take long for her to talk about Ayanokouji and Horikita.

'How was working with Ryuuen?'

Kushida clicked her tongue in frustration, "Of course, you know about that... I hate that bastard. He betrayed me for some dumb X person."

A strange spark appeared in her eyes, "You're a smart guy," a smile formed on her face.

"I bet you could figure out who this X person is."

'Acting cute isn't going to work.'

Kushida frowned before clicking her tongue.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.9K 2.1K 22
[Ayanokouji in Class C] Ayanokouji Kiyotaka has lived his life controlled by his father, in an environment that broke many lives through sheer violen...
49.8K 2.2K 37
Kagurazaka Norogumi is a unique student who is slightly different from the others. Is he mentally and physically prepared to fight against the challe...
8.8K 384 3
After a sudden confession from someone throws a wrench in his plans, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka suddenly finds himself caught in the middle of a crossfire b...