Mazes Of Red

By nevcau

Red hood story Read first page for more information I do not own any of the DC characters I do however own th... More

blurb
character list
CHAPTER 1 : Big Bad World
CHAPTER 2 : Jason Todd
CHAPTER 3 : Busted
CHAPTER 4 : Sleepy Daze
CHAPTER 5 : Good Morning Sunshine
CHAPTER 6 : No I Didn't Miss You
CHAPTER 7 : Learning To Laugh
CHAPTER 8: Suspicions
CHAPTER 9 : Peace
CHAPTER 10 : shadows unveiled P1
CHAPTER 11 : shadows unveiled P2
CHAPTER 12 : Fancy Pants
CHAPTER 13: Shock Horror
CHAPTER 14 : Big Bruce Wayne
CHAPTER 15 : Steps For The Future
CHAPTER 16 : Hard Work Makes A Life
CHAPTER 17 : ROBIN
CHAPTER 18 : Robin P2
CHAPTER 19 : Double Life
CHAPTER 20 : Playing Problem Solver
CHAPTER 21 : I Choose To Stand With You
CHAPTER 22 : The Amazing First Boy Wonder
CHAPTER 24 : Bubble Goes The Drama Of Life
CHAPTER 25: The Bubbles Stop
CHAPTER 26 : Tracking Shadows
CHAPTER 27: Echoes In Ashes
CHAPTER 28 : Echoes Of Lose Healing
CHAPTER 29 : Bump Goes The Night
CHAPTER 30 : Dance Of Familiarity
CHAPTER 31: Confrontation Unfolds
CHAPTER 32 : Stalk Of The Night
CHAPTER 33 : Worlds Do Collide
CHAPTER 34 : Don't Make Me Laugh
CHAPTER 35 : Stitches And Secrets.

CHAPTER 23: Lighting The Shadows Of Rivalry

2 0 0
By nevcau

LAURENS POV 

In the wake of Jason's abrupt departure, an uncomfortable silence hung in the air, and it seemed like no one was willing to break it.

 My concern for Jason weighed heavily on me, and as much as I wanted to stay and listen to the arguments and explanations, I knew I had to go to him.

"I'm going to find Jason," I announced, my voice firm, and started to rise from my chair.

Bruce and Dick exchanged a glance, and Dick opened his mouth, ready to argue, but I silenced him with a hard glare. 

I wasn't about to let anyone tell me what I should or shouldn't do when it came to my friends

Alfred's voice interrupted the brewing conflict between me and dick.

 "Lauren, dear, if you feel that's the best course of action, please go ahead." he told me with his usual  calm tone.

His support gave me the confirmation I needed.

 I left the dining room, making my way down the corridor toward Jason's room.

 As I reached his door, I hesitated for a moment, wondering what I was about to walk into.

I knocked softly, waiting for a response. 

When I heard a muffled, "Come in," I slowly pushed the door open. 

The sight of Jason sitting on his bed, his face buried in his hands, tugged at my heart.

I entered his room and closed the door behind me. 

"Jason," I said softly, moving closer. "Are you okay?"

He looked up, his expression a mix of frustration and sadness. 

"I'm fine, Lauren," he replied, his voice unconvincing.

I couldn't let him off the hook that easily. 

"You're not fine, Jason. What happened in there?" I ask my voice gentle.

He sighed and looked away, his fingers absentmindedly tracing patterns on the bedspread. 

"It's just... Dick and I have this history, this rivalry. He's always been the first, the original Robin, and it's hard for me sometimes."

I took a seat beside him hoping to make him feel comfort.

 "I get it, Jason. It can't be easy living in his shadow."  i agree my voice gentle

He glanced at me, his eyes searching mine for understanding. "You have no idea how much pressure that is."

I reached out and placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "I might not understand it completely, but I'm here for you, no matter what. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, Jason."

He smiled weakly, and there was a hint of vulnerability in his eyes. "Thanks, Lauren. I appreciate that."

jason and I shared a moment of quiet understanding, but then a mischievous glint sparked in his eyes, and he flashed a teasing grin. 

"You know, Lauren, you're way cooler than any other Bat-related person I know. Maybe I should ditch the cape and partner up with you instead." he tells me matter factly his voice playing a flirty tone.

I rolled my eyes playfully, but a smirk played on my lips. "Nice try, Robin. I think you'd miss the cape too much."

He chuckled, the tension in the room dissipating. "Maybe, but I'd get used to it if it meant hanging out with you more."

Before I could respond, a knock at the door interrupted us. 

I glanced at Jason, unsure if we should acknowledge it.

 He gave a small nod giving me a clear sign its okay.

"Who is it?" I call out to the mystery person.

"Dick," came the response from the other side of the door. "Can I talk to you guys for a minute?"

I exchanged a quick glance with Jason, who seemed as uncertain as I was about letting Dick in. 

I sighed and stood up, walking towards the door. 

Jason followed suit  both facing the door as I opened it a crack.

Dick stood on the other side, a sheepish expression on his face. 

"Hey, can I come in? I just want to talk."

I hesitated, glancing back at Jason, who gave me a reassuring nod.

 Taking a deep breath, I opened the door wider and let Dick in. 

He entered with a genuine apologetic look, his shoulders slouched as if carrying the weight of the earlier tension.

"Look, I... I'm sorry about before," Dick began, avoiding eye contact. "I shouldn't have let things escalate like that. It's just... old habits die hard."

I crossed my arms, studying him for a moment before responding. "You really hurt Jason back there, Dick."

Dick sighed, his gaze finally meeting mine. "I know. And I'm sorry. I never meant for it to get so out of hand. It's just... complicated between us."

Jason spoke up, his tone softer than before. "It's alright, Dick. We've all got our issues. But you need to understand, Lauren's not here to pick sides or be a part of some rivalry. We're just trying to figure things out."

Dick nodded, looking genuinely remorseful. "I get that. I messed up, and I don't want to make things hard for either of you."

I exchanged a hesitant glance with Jason, who gave me an encouraging smile. 

"Alright," I finally said, "but no more drama, okay? We've got enough on our plates without adding unnecessary conflicts."

Dick nodded, gratitude evident in his eyes. "I promise, no more drama. I just want us to be a team."

"Alfred says desserts ready if you two wanna join?" he questions as he makes his way to the door.

" BAGGIES THE BIGGEST BIT" I shout to the two as I ungracefully move off the bed and run towards the door.

"OH NO YOU DONT" Jason exclaims his eyes wide as he  runs after me.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

3 WEEK LATER

The nights in Gotham had been relentless, filled with patrols and battles that seemed to blur into one another. 

Despite the constant chaos, a fragile sense of normalcy had settled within the Bat-family.

 Yet, as I sat in the library of Wayne Manor, surrounded by ancient medical texts and modern research papers, my mind was elsewhere.

Jason and Dick walked in, their capes dragging slightly behind them. Dick's eyes lit up at the sight of me.

 "Hey, Lauren, we're thinking of watching a movie later Want to join us?" he ask his expression like a excited puppy.

I looked up from my reading, considering their offer. 

"Not tonight, guys. I've got some things on my mind." I dismiss them gently through my tone.

"Everything alright?" Jason  asks frowning , concern etched across his face.

I hesitated for a moment before nodding.

 "Yeah, just some family stuff. You two go ahead; I'll catch up with you later." I give them the best smile I could muster trying to sell my fake emotion.

They exchanged a knowing look but left without pressing further. 

I sighed, my attention returning to the books in front of me, hoping to bury myself in their pages.

Later that night, after a particularly exhausting patrol, I found solace in the library once again.

 As I delved into the intricacies of medical practices, the boys walked in, clearly eager to unwind.

Dick flopped onto the couch. "Lauren, you sure you don't want to join us? Movie night can be therapeutic."

I glanced up, a forced smile on my face. "I appreciate it, but not tonight. I need to head out early tomorrow."

Jason frowned, concern evident in his eyes. "Everything okay? You've been distant lately."

I took a deep breath, deciding to share a piece of my life with them. "My mom's been having a tough time with chemo. I'm going to visit her in the hospital tomorrow."

Understanding flashed in their eyes, and Jason spoke softly, "I'm sorry to hear that, Lauren. If you need anything..."

"I know," I cut him off with a grateful smile. "Thanks, guys."

The next day, the hospital corridors felt sterile and cold as I made my way to my mom's room.

 As I entered, the sight of her frail form under the hospital sheets brought a lump to my throat.

"Hey, Mom," I greeted, trying to sound upbeat.

She looked at me, her eyes tired and irritable. "Lauren, is that you? Why haven't you been around more?"

I sighed, trying to keep my composure. "I've been busy, Mom. But I'm here now."

She mumbled something incoherent, and as I talked to her about my day, her responses grew more distant.

 Eventually, she stopped responding altogether, and I took my leave, heart heavy with worry.

As I exited the room, I spotted my father stumbling down the hall, reeking of alcohol. 

Anger bubbled up within me as I intercepted his path, refusing to let him enter my mother's room.

"What are you doing here?" I spat.

He slurred his words, his gaze unfocused. "Visiting your mother, ain't I?"

I stepped in front of him, blocking his way. "You can't go in there like this. Leave, now."

 and his gaze flickered between irritation and mockery. 

"You think you can tell me what to do? I'm her husband. I can do whatever the hell I want." My father's words dripped with disdain.

I tightened my jaw, refusing to let his words get to me. "Not when you're like this, you can't. You're not going near her in this state."

He scoffed, the alcohol on his breath overpowering. "You always think you're so damn righteous, don't you? Little miss perfect."

Ignoring the sting of his words, I held my ground. "I'm not perfect, but I won't let you make things worse for her."

He took a step closer, his face inches from mine. "You're just like her, you know. Always judging, always trying to control everything."

I kept my composure, my voice steady. "Maybe if someone had taken control earlier, things wouldn't be like this now."

His eyes narrowed, and for a moment, I saw a flicker of regret. But it was quickly replaced by anger. 

"Fine, I'll leave. But don't think you can stop me forever." he sneerd to me he then  turned away stumbling down the hall.

As he disappeared from view, a heavy silence settled over the sterile hospital corridor.

The gravity of the situation sank in, and my stern façade crumbled.

 I leaned against the cold wall, emotions welling up inside me.

The weight of responsibility and the sadness of my family's situation pressed down on me.

 My mother's weakened state, my father's destructive presence – it was all too much to bear.

 I felt a mix of frustration, helplessness, and a profound sadness that I couldn't shake.

Tears stung my eyes, and I wiped them away, determined not to let the pain overwhelm me.

 With a deep breath, I composed myself and headed towards the exit once again for another nightmare round of  work.

AUTHORS NOTE

hope you enjoyed this chapter :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70 0 30
You guys know how the story goes I don't own any of these characters but my own
458 1 34
Based on Detroit become human. I don't own any of the characters. Besides my own.
Backup By Pay

Fanfiction

3.7K 61 31
A big gang war broke out in Gotham and Red Hood needs help. When Batman enlist the of the Justice League and Young Justice things get messy and Red H...
9.8K 155 17
My idea of the batfamily and what would happen their will be some kissing but nothing "bad" and their is some abuse in this story just saying i do...