The Day The World Eclipsed ||...

By Smiles4Alifetime

Sun Wukong, Great Sage Equal to Heaven, has only ever had one fear. Being alone. After years of dealing with... More

Immortality's Curse
Forever Is a Long Time
Qi Xiaotian
Our New Life Begins
Da
Fear
Weakness
Entering Human Society is a GO!
Kind and Patient
Sweet Times
Brothers and Shadows
Past Grievances
Return to Flower Fruit Mountain
The Desire To Be Better
The Slumbering Prince
The Wonderings of the Past
The day the Eclipse met the Moon
Art/fan art for this story
Paint Jars
Priorities
Our World
Why 2, and not 3?(Part one)
Why 2, and not 3? (Part Two)

Settling In

1K 33 14
By Smiles4Alifetime

Macaque stirred and peeked open his eyes, the morning air sweet with the aroma of fruit.

He sank into the cushions of the couch he was on, his body slowly adjusting to the comfort of the sheets and blankets as they settled around him. The plush pillow cradled his head and he nestled into its embrace, luxuriating in a peacefulness that had been absent from his sleep for far too long.

He felt a warm buzzing sensation emanating from his core, and he luxuriated in the feeling. His hand stretched out wide as he rolled to one side, limbs draped over the couch. He let his other arm rest on his chest, fingers splayed open.

This was... strangely nice?

The smell of peaches surrounded him. For a moment, a blissful little moment, he forgot.

He allowed himself to bask in the scent that had always made him feel safe. The scent that made him smile. He hummed, and curled closer against the sheets.

He almost murmured a name- Wukong's name. Almost let himself fall into the thralls of comfort the smell offered him.

Then he remembered where he was.

Sharply he sat upward, clenching his fists around the blanket that was draped over him. It was soft, almost unnoticeable to the mortal eye, but he knew. This was Wukong's fur made into the form of a fluffy comforter.

His heart raced as he frantically pushed it off, blindly throwing the offending item away. He could almost feel the memories of the past rushing back to him. His hands trembled as he stared at the blanket with wide eyes, haunted by what it reminded him of.

He shifted on the bed, silently pulling his knees close to his chest. Macaque bit his lip and shrunk in on himself, pressing his forehead into his knees, "Don't..." he warned himself. His fingers twitched with the temptation to reach out for the blanket. Almost allowing himself to grasp it to bring it back to him and smell it. To let himself just pretend he didn't know it was Wukong who made it and just enjoy its warmth.

Pretend for a moment nothing was wrong and he was waking up like every other day before his heart stopped beating.

He wouldn't allow that though.

Touching the side of his head to exhale and calm down, a somberness filled his chest. Mindlessly he reached down to pat Xiaotian's head-

Nothing.

Macaque aggressively slammed his hands against his own bare and empty chest. He felt a surge of fear when he realized the small cub, which had been snuggled close to him moments ago, was no longer there.

Further on, he quickly became aware he was no longer outside of the waterfall, but rather inside it.

Laid against the couch and covered in the very sweet and musky scent of the Wukong made blanket.

"What...?" he whispered.

His son was gone.

Was that a dream?

No. No no, was that a dream? That wonderful experience? Had he just dreamt that he had met his Son??

Searching wildly, his ears quickly picked up on a noise. Stemming from the kitchen, he could hear soft chopping.

"Me~ Me~ Me~" the bell-like sound of his Son was chiming from within. The cutting paused, followed by Wukong trying to shush the child.

"Shh, Bud." he mused. "Your Baba is sleeping. We gotta be quiet." he plopped some fruit into the toddler's mouth. "Patience."

MK waited a total of 3 seconds before saying, "More?"

Wukong chuckled, "Fine, more," he offered him another slice. MK eagerly gobbled it up, gripping on to his Father's pant leg as he worked. He clung against Wukong's knee, climbing up his leg and onto his back after a short time.

On Wukong's back, the child nuzzled into the side of his Father's head and into his fur.

Macaque listened quietly, holding his breath. He glanced around, finding he was within the hut. Somehow or another he had been moved here, left to assume it must have been Wukong. Quietly he touched his own arms and legs, searching for- well, he wasn't sure. Injury? Sign of temperament? Something to show Wukong had done something he shouldn't?

All he found was himself, just as he was before falling asleep.

He exhaled, the notion of Wukong carrying him- holding him... it was a strange thought in the back of his head. He glanced at the clock, seeing that it seemed to be just after lunch time, 1PM.

It had been three hours?

He had no means of knowing how long Xiaotian was up, only knowing when he himself had passed out. How embarrassing- to show such vulnerability in front of Wukong of all people.

"Ow..!" Wukong cried out, startling Macaque. About to get up to see what was going on, he heard Wukong again in a far more hushed tone, "You little biter~!" Snickers followed, "I swear, you were being so cute and sweet to your Baba, but the moment he isn't looking you bite my tail again."

A little evil giggle sounded.

Macaque's ears twitched at the sound, having not expected a mischievous side from his sweet little Moon Drop. Though, knowing who his parents were, Xiaotian was bound to have some cheekiness~

It made Macaque curious about what other sides his little one has.

"We talked about this young man. No. Biting. Release my tail." Macaque could hear shifting in the kitchen as Wukong strictly said, "You better not think of biting your Baba's tail."

"Baba's tail is nice and fluffy~" Xiaotian cooed, his mouth full of what Macaque could only assume was Wukong's fur and tail.

"It is, so Don't. Bite. It." he heard ruffling as Wukong pried the child off of him. "Say it with me. I will not Bite Baba's tail."

"I will not bite Baba's tail." Xiaotian repeated sweetly.

"Good."

MK giggled, "...But I will bite Dada's tail."

"No no-"

"Alll the time!"

"Xiaotian, No-" Wukong pleaded, "YOW!" As promised, the child promptly bit Wukong again.

Macaque covered his mouth, to prevent himself from snickering. Quietly he kept his back against the couch, listening to Father and Son as they fiddled with the kitchen. The sound of life echoing in the usually quiet house.

Macaque couldn't deny he normally preferred the quiet to the noise, but this wasn't necessarily a bad sound. Quiet was only nice for so long.

"Dada?" Xiaotian asked, releasing Wukong.

"Yes? Wukong mused, rubbing his poor tail.

A tender silence held for a moment before Xiaotian asked, "Will Baba stay with us forever?"

Macaque held his breath, holding perfectly still. After a short pause, Wukong answered, "Of course he will buddy. He will stay with you forever and ever."

Yes, that was true. Macaque would stay with Xiaotian for as long as his child wanted. But...

Macaque's chest constricted as he listened to Wukong, seeing the truth in the King's carefully chosen words, noting that Wukong purposely left himself out of the equation.

He couldn't make heads or tails out of that, and right now, Macaque wasn't going to try to. Wukong had taken up enough of his time

He stood up and made his way to the kitchen, eager to join in on the family moment. As he entered the room, he saw Wukong sitting at the kitchen table with Xiaotian on his lap. The smell of fruit salad filled the air, and Macaque's stomach grumbled in response.

"Ah, Macaque! You're awake," Wukong said, sheepishly smiling at him.

Xiaotian turned with a toothy smile, juice smudging his cheeks, "Baba!" He waved and was excited. He was gathering one of the bowls into his hands. Carefully, he slid off Wukong's lap to waddle himself and the bowl towards his parent. He made sure to walk carefully so as not to spill, making it in front of him with a determined frown. "Here! Fruit!" he offered.

Macaque knelt down, feeling a warmth building in his chest again. This warmth easily overtook all worries he had, "Thank you, Moon Drop," He spoke in a gentle voice as he was offered the meal. Xiaotian quickly scooted away and snuggled his way into Macaque's other arm, allowing the larger monkey to pick him up off the ground with ease. "This looks amazing," he admired the bowl of fruit. "Did you help make this?"

Xiaotian patted his chest with pride, "Dada cut, and I put it into the bowl!"

"You did such a good job," Macaque praised, ambling his way toward the table. His gaze flickered to the observing Sun Monkey.

Wukong awkwardly rose to his feet, as if he had been expecting Macaque's arrival and had already decided to not get in the way of it, "I can go-"

"Sit," Macaque's voice held an edge as he spoke, his gaze cold and hard. Wukong's eyes widened slightly in surprise before he slowly sank back into the chair, unable to meet Macaque's stare. Macaque took a seat opposite him, giving Wukong one last withering look before turning away and back to the sweet little boy in his arms. With Xiaotian in his lap, Macaque started to eat, picking at the chopped fruit in the bowl.

Despite having his own slightly smaller bowl, MK seemed more content to eat from Macaque's, liking the concept of sharing with his Baba. "Banana." He held it up to Macaque, who leaned down and slurped up the hand-offered fruit.

"Thank you," Macaque cooed, combing his hand through Xiaotian's fur. The child giggled, eagerly stuffing his hands back into the bowl.

Wukong sat across the table, picking at his food and periodically looking up to take in the sight of the two talking. He didn't know what to say, and didn't wish to ruin the mood by trying.

Instead he smiled, wondering if things would be like this from now on- or if this was just temporary. They still hadn't discussed terms on this whole co-parenting thing.

Sinking into his chair, Wukong glanced around the place. He hadn't expected it to be so.. well kept. He could tell Macaque had cleaned, adjusted furniture, and rearranged to how he preferred.

While Macaque and MK had been sleeping, Wukong had seen fresh paper and ink settled on the desk in one of the rooms. Macaque's handwriting dotted the page. Wukong couldn't read, but he knew Mihou's handwriting anywhere.

Wukong had found a half-full mug of tea beside the writing that had gone cold. The faint mist of steam that had hovered over the liquid once had dissipated, and the pale golden liquid was starting to congeal around the edges of the cup. Wukong knew from experience that Macaque only forgot to drink his tea like this when he was in the throes of writing for one of his plays. Always getting half way through the cup before forgetting, as he always had.

Had Mihou been writing a play?

Wukong supposed he could ask, but what right did he have to know that information anymore? What right did he have to the wonderfully creative thoughts of Liu'er Mihou?

So he kept quiet, plopping a piece of mango in his mouth and silently chewing.

The house felt serene and homely. There was a warmth about it that made Wukong exhale, knowing MK would be happy here. Without him...

When his hand rolled into a fist, he quietly slipped his palm out of sight and against his lap- swallowing down the agonizing struggle that single thought did in torturing his mind.

"Done!" MK pushed both his bowl and Macaque's empty bowl away. His big, round eyes scanned Wukong's bowl, and his tail started to wag. The boy's breathing quickened in excitement as Wukong pursed his lips in amusement and slid the bowl closer to him.

MK let out an excited yelp and grabbed the bowl with both hands, tipping it up so he could bury his face into it like a happy puppy.

Macaque's eyes widened, startled at his vigor, "He really likes to eat,"

"You have no idea," Wukong shakes his head, the very notion exhausting him. "This kid could eat a whole orchard in an hour if he really put his mind to it."

Macaque thought back to the immortal peaches Wukong was supposed to guard and had no doubt that their son must have had Wukong's mischievous appetite.

"Food!" MK sharply lifted his head, eyes wide and sparkling.

Macaque threw his head back and let out a deep, reverberating laugh that filled the room with its warmth.

Wukong watched, feeling warmth in his chest as he took in Macaque's contagious joy. But as the father and son interacted, Wukong was filled with a strange sense of conflict. He wanted to revel in the feelings of love that seemed to emanate from Macaque, but at the same time, he felt like an intruder. He couldn't help but feel that now that Mihou had returned, he held no place anymore.

That his son was far better off with someone like Mihou than a horror like himself.

Afterall, he was the cause of their separation and their pain. He could walk away, entrusting Mihou with their son and knowing Mihou would do right by MK. He knew this.

He also knew himself, however.

Wukong could feel how it twisted and gnawed at his chest. This compulsive desire to get closer and shield these two treasures from the world and bask in their presence. It was selfish of him to want to hoard Mihou and MK after all he had done, but he couldn't deny his feelings. He just needed to make sure he didn't act on them.

After breakfast, Wukong moved around the kitchen in a trance, rinsing plates and then drying them. He could feel his chest constricting as he watched Macaque carry Xiaotian out to the living room in his arms. His son's face was smushed against Macaque's chest and he babbled contentedly.

After a short hesitation, Wukong followed behind. The sight of Macaque in the light of their old home, swaying back and forth with MK in his arms, was like a dream come true. It felt right. It felt perfect.

He was the only damper to this pretty picture.

Settling in one of the seats as Macaque took the other, Wukong wanted to say so much, but didn't know how to start. He wasn't sure how to tell Macaque everything he knew, and what he wished he did know when he started all this. Not that he felt he was the best to give "parental advice" but he felt confident he had at least learned a thing or two that might just make things easier for Macaque.

Maybe...

Macaque tenderly placed MK on the carpet, giving his Son's head a little pat. He spoke in a gentle tone, "Xiaotian, I need to chat with your Dad. Is that alright?"

Little Xiaotian smiled and nodded his head, "Otay? I talk too?"

"If you want, but I was thinking maybe you could also play if you wanted? What we talk about might be boring," Macaque says.

Wukong quickly caught on and nodded, "I left your bag in the other room if you wanna color?" he offered.

"Ooh!" never going to say no to coloring, MK rushed to the other room to get his bag. With the child officially distracted, the two parents looked at each other.

Wukong swallowed nervously, "So..." he trailed off.

Macaque didn't bat an eye, "Co-parenting," he remarked, "We should discuss days and-"

"Blocks!!!" The two flinched when they heard Xiaotian shrieking, their conversation cut short before it could even begin.

MK scurried out of the room, clutching a pile of wooden blocks in one hand. He dropped a few before rushing to collect more, coming back with a larger box. He dragged it roughly against the floor, chirping to catch their eyes. "Look! Look!' he called to his parents. His eyes had lit up at the sight of Macaque's handiwork - large container boxes full of intricately carved blocks and toys that Macaque had scattered around their home in his boredom. With glee, MK hovered over each box, lifting them to peer inside, "Baba, can I play??" he asked eagerly, bouncing up and down.

Macaque's cheeks flushed with heat, and he nervously cracked a shy smile. He fidgeted, his large hands tugging at the hem of his shirt as he spoke. "Oh those..! I...O-of course, they are yours," he said quietly, looking away. "They were gifts- I wasn't sure if you would like them."

"I like! I like!" Xiaotian squealed, tipping over the box to get all the blocks within. "Dada look! Blocks!"

Wukong chuckled from his spot, "Those are nice, Bud. You could build some towers."

"And then knock them over!" the toddler cackled. Macaque's eyes widened when Wukong nodded knowingly. "You can do that too, yes," he agreed.

"And- A CHU CHU!" MK held up the wooden train.

"Oooh a train~" Wukong marveled, glancing at a flustered Macaque, who was staring at MK with pure delight that the child liked the toys.

Xiaotian clicked his heels, running back into the room with an excited giggle. He squealed as he ran down the halls as fast as he could, dragging the wooden train with him by the string attached to it. "Chu chu!" he made the noises to match, scampering room after room. He couldn't remember this place, but everything felt very familiar.

The parents watched him play, heavily distracted until MK made his way into the back room and didn't emerge again.

Macaque and Wukong were so absorbed in watching their son that they hadn't even noticed each other until the silence descended. Macaque glanced at Wukong, feeling suddenly awkward. "He's sweet," he mumbled, staring at his hands as if he could draw courage from them.

Wukong nodded, a small smile playing on her lips. "The sweetest," he agreed in a soft voice, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "He's gonna wanna paint your toys later, I'm sure."

Macaque smiled to himself, a small wag to his tail. He would love that. He clasped his hands in front of him, a light bulb moment came as he snapped his fingers, "I'll have to make some paint," he mused out loud. A distant look crossed his face for a brief second before he shook his head and narrowed his eyes to focus. "But um- about what we were saying..."

"Oh, right," Wukong nodded, straightening his back.

Co parenting.

Macaque ran his hands through his hair, feeling anxious and frustrated. Even though part of him wanted Xiaotian with him all day, every day; he knew that was too much to ask of a young child. Better to start slowly - some half days at first - until the child becomes more comfortable with the idea of spending extended time away from the tribe and his family. "I want what is most comfortable for Xiaotian," Macaque said solemnly. "Starting with some half days would be best."

Wukong's eyes widened, "I-I see," he says. "He can handle half days. He has done them with his uncles, because they like spending days with him. Special "Uncle and Xiaotian'' days, is what we call them." Wukong explained. "Half days might work to adjust to you and, well, here." Wukong gestured around. "The day is usually fine, honestly. He could run off all day and not be too concerned if he can't see me. It's nights that will be rough. That would be the adjustment."

"Nights?"

"He uh- doesn't really have his own bed," Wukong admits, swaying back and forth in his seat when he feels nervous, "He still sleeps with me. But, he can also sleep with the tribe, so I don't think it would be hard to adjust to him sleeping with you. He already took a nap with you and was just fine."

His stomach churned as he waited for Macaque's judgment. He felt like a failure, having not been able to adjust MK to sleeping in his own bed and feeling like he wasn't doing everything correctly as a parent. Macaque just looked at him steadily with his amber eyes, giving no indication of how he felt about the situation.

Macaque's tail began to move, starting with small, hesitant flicks before picking up speed and intensity until it whipped back and forth in a joyful rhythm. His eyes sparkled, and an elated smile crept onto his face as he realized he would still be able to cuddle with his little one. "Really??" Macaque asked, trying to contain his excitement and horribly failing. "Good to know."

Wukong's eyes double in size, "Is that okay?" They kept their voices low, mindful of MK's good hearing.

Macaque squinted, "Why wouldn't it be, Wukong? We're monkeys, not humans. All the younglings in the tribe still snuggle up to their parents even when they are adults."

Wukong blinked, dumbfounded, "Oh yeah..."

Macaque was looking towards the mattress he had been using in the other room. The sheets were dull colors- nothing a child would like. He would have to get new brighter ones. Perhaps something with a pattern that Xiaotian would like?

He could hand-make them, and even show the child how. So caught up in his own excited thoughts he almost didn't catch Wukong's next words.

"I'm sure it won't take long for him to adjust. He already adores you," Wukong nodded, understanding. The hard part of the adjustment wasn't going to be from MK. It was going to be himself. To sleep alone, without his baby, was something Wukong thought he still had time to prepare for. His heart sank, something sharp stinging his chest, but he swallowed it down.

Macaque watched as Wukong swallowed hard, noticing the sudden change in his demeanor. Sensing the shift in his willingness and waiting for Wukong to bring it up first. When he didn't, Macaque couldn't deny he wanted to know what was on his mind, "You have something to say?" It was almost ridiculous how well the two could still read each other.

Wukong hesitated, debating whether or not to tell him the truth. He had promised honestly though, even if it was a slice against his own pride, "It's just..." he trailed off, unsure of how to put his feelings into words. "I've never slept without MK before since he was born. It's uh... going to be hard for me." he scratched the back of his head. "I think this adjustment is going to be more of a burden than his," he gave a weak and degrading smile at his feet.

Macaque shifted his weight, eyes darting away as he tried to find the right words. He opened his mouth but no sound came out, and he felt a rising sense of... perhaps pity?

He chided himself for letting his heart even humor the idea of pitying Wukong, of all people. He had two, almost three years of Xiaotian all to himself. He would have to suck it up.

So words of comfort definitely weren't happening! But... Well, he understood. Macaque painfully understood. "Well... um...T-Then, shared days," he tried to push on instead, not sure what else to do. "7 days in a week is an awkward set of time to try and properly split unless we want to do 3 and a half days?"

Wukong set his hands on his lap, bunching his pants under his fingers. Forcing himself to move on and keep his own emotions in check, he gave a tilt of his head, "Like a Monday, Tuesday Wednesday, you get Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and we just mix up Sunday?"

"Basically." Macaque says, not sure if that was the best way to go about it. "Just a thought. We can do any plan that works for Xiaotian."

"Right," Wukong nodded, both not quite sure how to just come up with a plan. It might be something that took a few days of thought before they could devise something that felt comfortable.

Neither really wanted to spend days on end without their son, but that seemed how it might be if they were to stick with Co-parenting. Not to mention, they had no means of knowing how the child might react to the back and forth when he was so accustomed to being with just Wukong alone.

"We should also discuss house rules. Be consistent with him, if we can," Macaque says, recalling reading that in a book once.

"I'm on a no-biting lesson with him currently." Wukong doesn't hesitate to say this, his tail hitting the ground.

Macaque smiled into his hand, glancing away. He bit his tongue to swallow down his laugh, "Noted... Anything else I should know?"

"There is a lot to know." Wukong admits with a little smile. "He seems to change his mind all the time. It feels like every month is a new sort of challenge or lesson. What he likes one week he hates the next? It's- quite an adventure." He says this with such love that Macaque feels himself tremble.

The excitement for the future- for what was to come, was thrilling.

"Then we'll work out a schedule for who has him when, and jot down some rules we want to have and apply to him at both locations. His diet, habits he has- Any questions?" Macaque says, feeling like Wukong was bound to have a few.

Wukong opened his mouth, but then quickly shut it again. His eyebrows furrowed and his lips pressed into a thin line as he seemed to battle some internal struggle. He glanced away for a brief moment before turning back with an expression that suggested he'd had second thoughts about his words, "I did have one question, actually. If you don't mind answering," Wukong's voice dropped an octave.

Macaque turned his head slowly towards the man, and as their eyes met, he could feel the hair on the back of his neck rise. His lips curled in an instinctive snarl, and a low growl emerged from deep within him, "Depends on the question?" He hated that expression on Wukong, knowing all too well that it meant Wukong's hesitation was something that would piss him off.

Wukong's expression didn't falter, his arm lifting. He had felt it since he first walked beyond the waterfall, and couldn't ignore its presence much longer. He gestured to the coffee table at the corner of the room.

A simple wood table holding a simple lamp. Nothing out of the ordinary- if Macaque wasn't painfully aware of what lay hidden within the cabinet of that table;

The key.

"What is that, Macaque?" The King asked somberly.

Tightness flooded Macaque's chest as he fought against the rising wave of panic. He squeezed his hands into tight fists, nails digging painfully into his palms, "Did you look inside?"

"No," Wukong admits, lowering his arm back to his lap, "Because this is your home now." He gave a side eye to the table then back to Macaque, "I didn't want to snoop through your stuff."

Macaque wanted to snort, but opted not to, "Exactly what do you want me to say about it?" that wasn't already obvious.

"Why do you have it? What do you intend to do with it? ... Can I destroy it?" Wukong offered a few things off the top of his head.

Macaque considered the last one, but doubted Wukong could. Even with all his might, that key was something he couldn't fathom. "I don't intend to do anything with it," he says. "It won't be an issue, if that is what you are worried about." Macaque folded his arms.

"Did you strike a deal with her?" Wukong's question lingered in the air, both knowing who he was referring to without needing to say it.

Moments passed as Macaque watched Xiaotian re-enter the room. They both sat quietly as he zig-zagged around the room, changing speed and direction unexpectedly. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Xiaotian left and Macaque nodded in agreement, "I did,"

Wukong's back stiffened, and his fists tightened until his knuckles turned ghostly white. His eyes remained closed as he tried to keep the anger out of his voice, "What sort of deal?"

"One she already broke," Macaque stared off into the distance, his voice low and monotone. He shook his head slightly when asked to elaborate on what had happened, lips sealed shut like a vault. He didn't like this feeling of being on trial. Like he had done anything wrong- when all he did was do whatever he needed to come back and be with his child.

"What did you get out of it?" Wukong didn't look at him.

"I get my life, in return, I guard the key." Of course, he was also technically supposed to free her, but it clearly stated "Safeguard the key so I can be freed" were her words.

Nowhere else could be safer. He put the key somewhere safe.

So he wasn't doing anything wrong.

"And that thing can free her?" Wukong grits his teeth, eyes focused forward. He dared not look at Macaque with any ill intent- even if the very mention of that Witch's name made his blood boil.

"Supposedly. I've been informed she needs more than just that," Macaque folded his arms, sinking into his seat. The Monk, for starters. Who Wukong seemed to know the exact location of. Not that Macaque was going to say anything about this. No, he wasn't helping the Witch or her henchman. Or Wukong, for that matter, "So like I said, it won't be an issue,"

Wukong's jaw set tight, clearly not satisfied with that answer. Macaque scowled when the King opened his mouth, expecting a slew of demands or explanations from Wukong. Instead, he got a heavy exhale and begrudging, "Okay."

Macaque's eyes widened and his eyebrows shot up in surprise. He looked incredulously at the man before him, slowly shaking his head in disbelief as he asked, "What?"

Wukong closed his eyes, exhaling the breath he was holding, "Okay," he repeated. "If you say it won't be an issue, then okay."

Macaque's gaze drilled into Wukong, suspicious and alert. But when their eyes finally met, Macaque saw a flicker of sincerity in Wukong's expression. The tension left his body and he realized it had been no trick.

Wukong put his hands together, as if things hadn't been just unbearably tense a moment before, "Then, about MK's education. I was thinking of enrolling him into-" He began his conversation right where they left off.

Macaque was lost as Wukong continued on, leaving behind the conversation of the Key. He was confused.

That was it? Wukong was just- okay with the explanation Macaque said? He wasn't curious about what else the Witch needed? Wasn't going to ask for more details. His "It won't be an issue" was enough to satiate the King's curiosity??

Macaque must have looked confused enough to make Wukong pause from what he was saying because the King stopped talking and looking awkward. "W-What?" he asked.

Macaque opened and closed his mouth. "...No. Nothing." he shakes his head, "Um- what were you saying?"

Wukong sighed, his expression softening from its previously tense state. "I was just saying that I think it's a good idea to enroll MK in a proper education program. Pigsy calls it, uh- Preschool? He's still a little young, but I was looking at some locations?" Wukong tapped his fingers anxiously on the table. "So he could learn to write and read? Make some friends his age."

Macaque blinked a few times, realizing he was still playing catch up to this conversation. Wukong had been considering school and had even been looking into different locations? Who... was this man?

Macaque gave a small nod, agreeing to that idea. Finding his voice and putting the matter of the key behind him, he said, "Um...Going to school would be good." Macaque had considered homeschooling the child, but there were so many things in this new time he wasn't aware of. Preschool wasn't a bad idea. He would have to look into the future education system to what was and was not being taught to get an idea of how far that education was worth it though.

"I had a list of some places. Tang was helping me- Um... O-O-One of MK's uncles, was helping me read through their information to decide on a good school." Wukong grew a tad sheepish, always hesitant to mention his mortal friends.

Macaque's grumpy expression did not go unnoticed, but he didn't comment on it, "I will go over that list too." he rubbed his chin. Then he considered Xiaotian, "He might not be happy switching back and forth." Macaque frowned, not sure how MK would react. Wukong scratched his chin and didn't say a word. His golden eyes were deep and distant; long moments passed with no response, as Macaque continued to speak, "If he goes to school in the city I should purchase some small place. Some place close to his school?" Macaque debated internally, uncertain of what his next move should be.

Then Wukong made a suggestion.

"You could always come live with us?" The words slipped out before Wukong could stop himself, his hand quickly clamping over his own mouth.

Macaque's head snapped upward, "Excuse me?"

Wukong's fur stood on end as he stumbled for words, "I-I mean-!" he threw his hands around, frazzled. "I-I was just thinking that you could- spend time at the temple we are living at is all. T-To get him used to you fully? O-Or-" he laughed nervously. "It's big. Has lots of different houses and a spacious area. More like an abandoned sort of village with how big it is. You could- use one of the houses for yourself?" Wukong ducked his head at the incredulous look he received.

He wouldn't force Macaque of course. And while yes he would think it would be so much easier for Macaque to just live closer to them- it was more than that.

Wukong's attention flickered to the seals he placed around the mountain. Waiting for the slightest shift to an unwanted presence.

For the unknown and uninvited presence that had attempted to visit Macaque earlier.

Now that Wukong knew it was truly the Lady Bone Demon's power that he had sensed, both when he first saw Macaque, and just a few hours prior, he wasn't exactly keen on leaving either his child or Mihou alone with it around.

He'd give Mihou every inch of the temple if it would convince the men to be somewhere Wukong could keep a closer eye on him.

Macaque's brows drew together in a deep V over his nose. A mix of shock and disgust, "You want me to come live with you?" he hissed.

"L-Live with Xiaotian," Wukong corrected quickly, "Again- you can- can live anywhere in the village. A-And not full-time if you don't want to?" He offered with a weak and breaking smile. "You know how you said you would get a place close to MK's school? Well, he- the kid would love to live near you. I'm sure he would be happy to see you every day, and if you lived in the temple, he could!"

Macaque couldn't deny that thought. In fact, it might just fix both of their problems with not being able to see MK for several days.

But to live near Wukong...?

He was torn between the pro's and con's.

Debating, he glanced at where the key lay.

....He did kind of piss off a wickedly powerful demon lately, so...

He had planned to just go stay with Gongzhu for a while until that whole thing was resolved. If Xiaotian was more comfortable at the Temple, and Macaque could have his own living space and be near the tribe- well, it wasn't exactly a bad idea.

"Of course um-" Wukong pulled out a book from his pocket, settling it on the table. Tang had given it to him. It had all sorts of tips and tricks that Tang had marked and read to Wukong to help him understand. "You would still be given your time and space with him. Your own parenting style that I wouldn't interrupt."

Macaque pressed his palm to the book, turning it around to read the cover. He flipped through the sticky note-marked sections, eyes glazing over the pages. He doubted Wukong had read this himself, unless the King had learned to read while he was dead, and assumed it must have been those "friends" of his.

Honestly, this might just work, or, for his own safety and Xiaotian, it would have to.

The only downside was that he would see Wukong often. That was a... complicated sort of issue. On the plus side, safety, the tribe, his child... his child.

That was winning.

"I will make a space for myself in the temple." Before Wukong could say anything Macaque added, "That doesn't mean I live there indefinitely, just for the most part to help Xiaotian adjust."

Wukong was nodding in complete agreement, "Okay."

"I don't know what sort of schedule or house rules you've set up for him, so I want to know all of that information. What you have or have not enforced. What works in his diet- what he struggles to eat in his diet." Macaque raised his eyebrow, already expecting some issues with this.

Wukong's shrunk a little, "He really doesn't like his greens."

"Surprise surprise." Macaque rolled his eyes

"But- he eats them every day," Wukong says, his tone laced with price. Macaque took a second to consider that. Did he really? "We eat together. He can eat the food better if he isn't doing it alone."

"So you eat them with him?" Macaque could hardly believe his ears.

Wukong shifted uncomfortably, "Well, yes. He needs someone to encourage him... And he knows I don't like them too, so we both help each other get through it." Wukong grimaced.

The King, eating his greens willingly? That was very un-Wukong-like.

Macaque tilted his head, speechless. 500 years sure did change this world in a number of ways, "Well, that's something, I suppose," Macaque said, shaking his head. He felt like he was reeling, knowing he couldn't linger on anything too long or he'd get too caught up in it. So he pushed forward, "Alright, I agree to this arrangement. But know this, Wukong... if anything happens to my son while he's under your care, I will hold you personally responsible."

Wukong's face grew serious, "I understand." Wukong would hold himself responsible too, far more than Macaque ever realized.

"Well then-" Macaque wasn't sure what else to say. For a time he would live with Wukong and Xiaotian at the temple, then when Xiaotian was adjusted they could change the plan.

As for what lifestyle Xiaotian had, that would be something Macaque was sure he would learn with time.

A quiet recollection of Wukong's words... I am doing okay. And I think that is enough.

Macaque leaned against his palm, He wondered if his own efforts would be enough in return?

And... maybe, just maybe, he wasn't exactly being fair when it came to how Wukong had chosen to raise Xiaotian?

Already deciding Wukong was inefficient before actually seeing what he was doing.

Quietly accepting he was wrong in that sense, Macaque opted to see where this went. To see for himself what kind of Father Wukong was.

For now... Macaque couldn't see anything wrong. Which was annoying.

"It is settled," Macaque concluded. "We'll open this discussion about living arrangements back up in a few weeks when Xiaotian adjusts. We can take this next week to figure out the best way to co-parent and how Xiaotian responds to it."

"Right."

Taking a moment to pause, they could hear Xiaotian running down the hall. An hour had passed since they started talking. The child was getting bored of his current toys.

He had tried to be sneaky, despite being in full view of his parents the moment he walked into the room. Pretending to sneak against the wall, roll behind the chairs, and crawl his way to the table before peeking over it. His parents didn't move, feigning to be ignorant of his approach. While Wukong, who was used to this, could keep up a poker face, Macaque's lips were twitching into a smile. His shoulders shook, trying not to laugh.

Then the child leaped out, yelled, "Boo!" he grinned, drawing a fake gasp from Wukong and a struggling fake scream from the laughing Macaque. "Gotchu!" the child declared, "Can MK join now??" he asked, his tail wagging behind him. While Wukong was smiling, Macaque was looking away, his hand over his mouth wheezing into his hands.

Their baby was so cute!

"We can take a break," Wukong agreed with a smile. "Did you want to play?"

"Yes!" Xiaotian cheered, his face lighting up with excitement. He opted for the most difficult path, crawling up over the table and right into Wukong's arms. Wukong stood up from his chair, the child tucked against himself.

"Then play we will! What do you wanna do?"

"Gotta get blocks!" MK pointed down the hall insistently.

Macaque watched as the two of them disappeared down the hallway, a warmth spreading through his chest. Perhaps this wouldn't be so bad after all, he thought. But as he sat alone on the couch, his thoughts began to wander. It was dark and twisting- unsure if the feeling was for himself or for Wukong.

He was frustrated, confused, happy and- lost. He hadn't expected things to go like this. Hadn't expected he would come to strike a deal with Wukong. He truly thought he would be rushing in to grab his child and then rushing out- or Wukong would just willingly give Xiaotian away, not wanting to be bothered by the responsibility.

Wukong and responsibility had never really gone hand in hand, but this man was... He didn't recognize this person calling himself Wukong.

He couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealousy towards the Monkey King. The man seemed to have a natural way with Xiaotian that Macaque didn't possess. And the way Wukong spoke about being a father, it was as though he was born to do it. Macaque compared himself to the King, who already had two years of practice, and felt inadequate in his own role as a father.

There was so much he didn't know about Xiaotian. He risked making the child uncomfortable or distant with any ill-thought-out word. He had to be careful and mindful.

He just didn't want to lose any more time. Macaque stood up and made his way down the hallway. As he approached the room where Wukong and Xiaotian were playing, he could hear the sounds of laughter and joy.

Macaque slowed his pace to peek in without being noticed, watching how Wukong ran around with Xiaotian on his shoulders.

Wukong didn't hesitate to do whatever Xiaotian needed of him, while Macaque was still held back by his thoughts of making Xiaotian uncomfortable, not knowing what the child did or did not like.

What boundaries he had.

Wukong, who knew all of this, could easily tickle and lift the child to toss into the air. Attack his stomach with little kisses and draw squeals from the boy.

It looked so nice...

Macaque took a deep breath and stepped into the room, making his way towards Xiaotian. The child looked up at him with bright eyes, a smile spreading across his face.

"Baba! Come play!" he exclaimed, scrambling to his feet and running towards Macaque.

Macaque's heart swelled with warmth at the sound of his son calling him 'Baba'. As he followed closer to Xiaotian, from the side he could see Wukong stepping back. He positioned himself on the far wall and stood there awkwardly. Trying to make himself look busy so as not to seem out of place.

Macaque glanced at him, realizing Wukong was offering some space. Perhaps even trying to be considerate so Macaque could have his fair share or make up for the time he lost? Macaque could have been reading into it of course...

Ignoring him for now, not caring what exactly Wukong was trying to do, being Macaque's last priority- instead he focused on his child.

Xiaotian had found every block and toy Macaque had carved for him. Settled in a circle, and meticulously organized by size. Macaque knelt down to smile at Xiaotian, marveling at his work. "Are you having fun?" he asked.

MK grinned giddily, picking out a block, "Yes! Baba made it?" he wanted this confirmed.

Macaque nodded, "Yes, I made all these toys from wood.'' He sat down to join his son against the pillows and blankets. The room was practically flipped upside down. Toys and fabrics are strewn about messily. It looked like Xiaotian tried to make a fort and gave up halfway. Or it just fell down.

Getting closer, the affectionate little cub was crawling into Macaque's lap. A show of how comfortable he was with his Baba already. "Baba, Can I color?" he asked, gesturing to the wooden toys.

"Of course you can," Macaque cooed, eager. "I just don't have any paint with me today. Perhaps we could get some tomorrow? Or... I could even show you how to make paint?" Macaque had always been resourceful like that.

Unlike Wukong, who could make whatever he needed out of his own fur, Macaque had years to learn an assortment of different skills.

Not that they were really ever talked about, often obscured by the blinding light that was the Sun itself and all his accomplishments.

Who cared if he could make paint when Wukong could level a mountain?

"Make paint?" Xiaotian gave a wide-eyed blink. "Baba can make paint??" Xiaotian was getting back to his feet, standing on Macaque's thighs to cup his Baba's face. This information was VITAL. "Make paint?!" he exclaimed, bouncing.

Macaque's face was curling into a bright smile, holding his son's waist and lifting him up. "Of course Moondrop. As much as you want, I can make it for you."

Xiaotian was squealing with the utmost delight. He chirped and bounded about, unaware of the utter beaming smile Macaque was giving him.

To have someone so small looking up at him with such wonder and astonishment left a warm spot in Macaque's chest. The genuine excitement- the honest joy...

He himself felt childlike to show his son how to make his own paint for the first time.

"Tomorrow I can show you," Macaque promised, knowing it was getting late. The sun would be setting soon after all. It was better to look for the ingredients they needed with the sun high in the sky.

"Paint with Baba~ Paint with Baba~" Xiaotian sang, bouncing from one foot to the other as he danced around. He spun, grabbing a few blocks and quietly debating what toy would be what color.

"Red." he concluded, putting it in one pile. "Blue." the piles he had previously made had been drastically changed as he moved them into new piles over what color would be what. Macaque wasn't sure how well Xiaotian would remember his own plan by tomorrow, but helped his son either way.

After some time, a small grumble echoed through the room. The child stopped all movement, startled by the sound.

"Hungry," MK patted his stomach, realizing the noise had come from him.

"Perhaps some dinner then?" Wukong offered. Xiaotian was shooting between his legs to head for the door.

"Dinner!!" he cheered.

The two older monkey's followed, glancing at each other awkwardly before looking away. Dinner was quickly set up, consisting of what Macaque had around the place.

Mostly fruits and nuts, with a little honey they drizzled over the top.

With a lack of greens in this particular meal, Xiaotian was fully on board, stuffing his face greedily.

They ate at the table. Together. Almost like a family.

Wukong on one side, Macaque on the other, and Xiaotian perfectly between them in a highchair Wukong had quickly made.

While no words were spoken between the two adult monkeys, an endless slew of conversation came from the young cub. His thoughts bounced back and forth at a rapid pace, asking an assortment of different questions and talking about whatever seemed to cross his mind.

"I like apples," he says, using his fork to shakily bring a piece of apple near his mouth. Using both hands to lift the fork to his mouth, he took the bite with a grin. "Apples~ Apples..." Xiaotian pulled on Macaque's sleeve. "Baba, I got a song," he announced.

Macaque was all ears, curiously tilting his head, "Oh?"

"Wanna hear?"

"Yes please," Macaque smiles.

Xiaotian began to sing, chipperly kicking his feet as he sang the song that he seemed to just make up in his head, "Apples are fun. Apples are fun~ Apples... Apples~" he turned his head, "Baba you like the song??"

"I love it," Macaque mused.

"Dada too?" MK looked at him expectantly.

"Buddy, I wanna hear that song every day now," Wukong cooed.

"I sing again!' Mk declared and his parents clapped and cheered for him. With a few made-in-the-moment songs, Xiaotian grasped Macaque's hand, "Baba, do you like turtles?" he asked.

Macaque titled his head, not sure if this was a trick question or not. "Um... Yes?"

"Me too!" Xiaotian nodded. After a few more chews, still holding onto Macaque's hand, Xiaotian swung it. Macaque gave a little smile, brushing his thumb to Xiaotian's knuckles. Xiaotian gave an eager smile, his tail wagging in his seat. "Baba?"

"Hmm?" Macaque gave another smile.

Xiaotian giggled suddenly but didn't explain what was funny to him. "Babaaa~"

"Yes?"

MK giggled again, hiding his face with his other hand. Perhaps he just liked Macaque responding to him.

After dinner, with the sun setting outside, it was time to get ready for bed. The two helped Xiaotian get into some pajamas and brush his teeth. Macaque was happily given the task of combing Xiaotian's fur before bed.

"Baba, here please." Xiaotian pointed to his head so that Macaque could brush his fingers through his fur.

"Of course, Moon Drop." Macaque held Xiaotian on his lap, combing his fingers through the child's wispy fur. So silky and thin, unlike his far thicker coat of fur. The moment was soft and serene, lulling Xiaotian's eyes almost shut. He barely seemed to stay awake, mumbling soft words before calling for Wukong.

At his cue, Wukong picked Xiaotian up to carry him to bed as he always did. While Macaque would love to be the one to do this task, he knew it was best to keep Xiaotian up with his habits for now.

"Good night, baby." Macaque says softly, waving to Xiaotian. The child waved drowsily over Wukong's shoulder. A few seconds later, Wukong was quietly settling Xiaotian into Macaque's bed for him to sleep.

"You sure you don't wanna go home and sleep?" Wukong asked, curious how comfortable MK would be in an unfamiliar bed.

"No, stay." Xiaotian slurred, half out of it.

"Okay," Wukong chuckled, tucking his son in. "I'll join you soon. Your baba and I just need to talk a bit more." he kissed Xiaotian's head.

"Otay..." MK turned to nuzzle against his Father's cheek, offering a little kiss in return. With one final nuzzle, Wukong quietly slipped out of the room. As Wukong slowly closed the door, he glanced back to find Macaque had returned to one of the chairs, his expression unreadable.

Wukong settled into a chair across from Macaque, their eyes flickering between each other and the floor. The silence was heavy between them, thick with the words left unsaid. It was Wukong who broke the silence, his voice hesitant as he spoke. "So tomorrow you'll head with us to the temple?" it sounded more like a question than a confirmation.

"Yes," Macaque nodded.

"Do you have anything to um- pack?"

Macaque shook his head now, gaze distant. "No. Why would I? All of my stuff was lost a long time ago." He didn't have anything to his name other than the clothes on his back and some paper and ink he had managed to snag a while ago.

Everything else was technically Wukong's, left behind when the King left the mountain. Sure it was his now, he supposed, but he had no use for any of it. With the thought in his head, Macaque noticed how Wukong openly stared at him. "What?"

Wukong flinched, eyes immediately looking toward the master bedroom. Macaque had been staying in one of the side rooms instead of the one that used to be the one they shared.

So perhaps that is why he hasn't located it yet but...

"One second," Wukong gave a little curt bow of his head to signal his apology for cutting the conversation short, leaving Macaque alone in a silence that seemed much louder than it had a moment before.

After some time and some fussing around, Wukong returned with a box Macaque had never seen before.

"It was below the floorboard," Wukong explained before Macaque could ask. Wukong held the box with such care, looking hesitant to part with it at first. Finding his resolve, he offered it out.

Macaque eyed the box cautiously as Wukong presented it. After a long moment, he accepted it, sliding it closer to him on his lap and never taking his gaze off of Wukong. His attention stayed locked with the other monkey as he examined the mysterious box.

Along its side were a few seals, to prevent whatever was inside from being ruined to time or damage.

"What is it?" he grumbled.

"It's yours," Wukong says with little explanation beyond that.

Opening it, Macaque hadn't expected to see things of old. Clothes, objects- his belongings. Everything within was his?

Astonished, he grabbed a bound book to peruse the pages, recognizing his own penned script. It was an old play he had yet to finish before life took an unexpected turn. Everything here belonged to him.

An awkward lull descended, and Macaque was at a loss for words. Eventually, he uttered a quiet, "You kept all this?"

Wukong stared at the ground, offering a brief gesture of acknowledgment. "I couldn't throw it away... but it was hard to look at too. So I put it somewhere safe." guilt and shame made his ears lower.

Macaque let that settle in, his heart twisting painfully.

He had felt upset and betrayed when he discovered that Wukong had not kept any of his belongings. Learning now that Wukong had, in fact, held onto them did nothing to ease the pain or anger. Maybe it made it worse?

He didn't know what he felt anymore.

Maybe he just wanted to feel angry. He had every right to, of course, but still...

He forced down the lump in his throat, steeling himself against any feelings that might be weakening his resolve. He couldn't risk allowing them to take control. He couldn't afford to let them compromise him. He couldn't afford to let himself fall for old tricks and sweet gestures.

Macaque shut the box quickly, no longer able to bring himself to view its contents. He set it aside to go over later and turned to Wukong, his expression stoic. "I suppose I have one box then. Packing is done." As much as he tried to keep his voice distant and cold, it trembled.

Wukong's ears twitched curiously as he picked up on Macaque's anger and sadness. His expression contorted, tightening to a grimace, "I'm..." his voice faded into a twisting shame, "I'm sorry."

Macaque's head whipped away, his heart sinking. He found himself hating the sound of that phrase. He had thought he wanted an apology, but it only caused him more confusing pain.

It wasn't like it was the first time Wukong had apologized since they met again. This was one of many times, and Macaque still wasn't used to it. Wasn't used to genuine guilt. But Macaque still wasn't entirely sure what Wukong felt remorseful about, as they hadn't discussed it in detail.

Just killing him? Distrusting him when they reunited? Choosing those companions of the west over him?? Not listening to him when he warned Wukong about fighting the Jade Emperor? For sealing away DBK? For taking away what his sworn Sister held dear? For leaving Macaque for years on the mountain to defend it alone? What exactly was Wukong sorry about? What exactly did Wukong regret and what did he still stand by?

There was a lot that needed to be said and discussed, but Macaque wasn't sure he really had the heart to do any of that.

Part of him wanted to know, and another was terrified of the answer. It was a miracle they could even stand before each other right now.

Knowing what Wukong was sorry about wouldn't change what happened or what was done. Perhaps, one day, it might ease something in Macaque. Maybe.

But on the other hand, it might truly break him too.

"I should head to bed," Macaque stood, glancing at the room he had been using. While he wanted nothing more than to join Xiaotian within, he held himself back. His son would most likely prefer Wukong right now.

Wukong opened and closed his mouth, changing his mind about what he was about to say. What ever apologies or soft words he wanted to say, they would be lack luster. "Right,"

With nothing more to say the two were ready to head their separate ways, until a shrill cry cut out between them.

"DADA!!!"

Both simians leaped into the action the moment they heard their little one scream. Rushing into the bedroom, they threw open the door in a panic.

"What is it??" they gasped.

Xiaotain was perched upon the larger bed, appearing almost swallowed up by the mound of blankets and pillows. Tears still glistened in his eyes as he sat quietly, looking so small and vulnerable. Ke was clutched to his chest. "D-Dada bed time. Bed." Xiaotain patted the spot next to him, very upset to have awoken and not find his Father right next to him.

"Oh." Wukong's shoulders relaxed, his expression softening. "Oh buddy, I'm sorry. Your baba and I were talking. I can come to bed-"

"Baba too." Xiaotian patted the other empty spot next to him.

Wukong stopped in his tracks, his gaze transfixed. He looked back at Macaque, hoping to read how he was reacting. The monkey's eyes had gone round, his ears flattening against the side of his skull.

"Oh. Buddy, I don't think-" Wukong attempted to explain, cut off when Xiaotian wailed.

He reached out his little hands, desperately trying to grab Macaque and crying out "Baba too!"

Macaque reacted to his child's cries, a mix of panic and distress flooding his amber eyes. He ran to Xiaotian, not even realizing he was doing so, and grasped the little one's hand before planting a kiss on his forehead.

"I'm here, Moon Drop." he assured. "I..." Unsure of what to do, he wanted nothing more than to spend his first night with his son snuggled in his arms... yet Wukong's presence was making it increasingly difficult to do so in the limited space they were sharing.

He knew that Xiaotian was too young to understand the complexities of their situation, and he didn't want to deprive him of sleeping with his father.

Oh but... his child needed him, already trying to crawl against his chest and reaching out for Wukong.

Macaque had a moment of inner turmoil before he quashed his raging emotions and concentrated on what was important. Xiaotian.

He could do anything if it was for his baby.

"Okay, Xiaotian," Macaque uttered in a comforting tone, fighting to keep a grin on his face. "We can all sleep together," The instantaneous wagging of Xiaotian's tail was worth all the stress to Macaque.

"Are you... sure? You don't have to.' Wukong asked, his golden gaze pooling with concern. Macaque wanted to hiss at him to keep such a pitiful expression off his face. Instead though, he just calmly nodded.

"It's fine. It's for Xiaotian." Macaque glanced away.

Wukong nodded, his eyes lingering on Xiaotian's tear-streaked face. He climbed into the bed and wrapped an arm around the child, pulling him close. "There we go, Star." he soothed the boy, kissing his forehead.

Macaque hesitated for a moment before slowly slipping under the blankets and tentatively draping an arm over Xiaotian's small frame. Xiaotian melted into the warmth of their embrace, feeling safe and comforted. He exhaled, his shoulders shuddering.

Macaque nervously asked, "Is this okay, Moon drop?"

MK let out a few small sniffles, patting Wukong and Macaque's arms lightly. He shifted himself until he was comfortable between them, able to press his face into either of their fur with ease. The smell of his Dada and Baba's fur always being his favorite smell.

Xiaotian wiped away his tears and nestled snugly between his parents. He reached up to take Wukong's hand in his own, placing it gently on top of his head. Then he grasped Macaque's hand, laying it upon his chest and round stomach. "Pat?" he asked.

His parents obliged, patting his head and stomach.

With a few sharp inhales through his nose, Xiaotian's little chest lifted and fell, already starting to close his eyes.

Wukong grins, stealing a glance at Macaque to observe how the lunar monkey was in awe of their child. Recalling fondly how he was in a similar state the first night he ever had with MK.

This little life was theirs. They made him. He was their son and he was perfect.

"Closer," Xiaotian mumbled, still half asleep.

Wukong and Macaque exchanged an understanding look before inching closer to each other, closing the gap between them. They reached out for their son, arms intertwining with his as if to form a protective cocoon. The three of them lay there in silence for a few moments, feeling the warmth of each other's bodies and the steady rise and fall of their breaths.

"Good night, Xiaotian," Macaque whispered, placing a soft kiss on his forehead.

"G'night, Baba," Xiaotian murmured back. "G'night Dada..."

"Good Night, Bud."

With that, the little cub fell back asleep.

Wukong glanced at Macaque and the two locked eyes. Wukong seemed to plead for understanding, while Macaque's face was stern and focused; a warning glare that spoke volumes without words, reminding Wukong not to cause any trouble. With a timid nod from the King, Macaque gave a strict nod before closing his eyes.

Wukong did the same, eyebrows furrowed with quiet worry.

It wasn't comfortable for either of them, but for the sake of their son's happiness, they were willing to endure it. As they drifted off to sleep with Xiaotian sandwiched between them, they both knew that this was only the beginning of their journey as an unconventional family.

Ah but, it was worth it if it meant their son was happy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Magnolia By mariedel22

General Fiction

4.5K 77 23
After MK's body is lost in the battle with Lady Bone Demon, Wukong becomes desperate to keep what little remains of his loved ones-even going as far...
30.4K 1.4K 19
Various Lego Monkie Kid x GN Muichiro Reader. ______________________________ ❝𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒏 π’Šπ’‡ 𝑰 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆 π’Žπ’š π’Žπ’†π’Žπ’π’“π’Šπ’†π’”, π’Žπ’š π’ƒπ’π’…π’š π’˜π’Šπ’π’...
6.2K 242 22
The day the war ended was the day Sun Wukong welcomed his new son into the world, and the day he put his Staff down for good. Nearly 18 years later...
4.3K 206 11
Prompt made by decaffeinated_fox on TikTok and are also the SilentKingAu creator! What if Heaven had tricked the sage? They set him free, yes...but...