SERENDIPITY 「KJB」

By DaeyeoLION

"There I was again tonight Forcing laughter, faking smiles Same old tired, lonely place Walls of insincerity... More

Prologue
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9
Day 10
Day 11
Day 12
Day 13
Day 14
Day 15
Day 16
Day 17
Day 18
Day 19
Day 20
Day 21
Day 23
Day 24
Day 25
Day 26
Day 27
Day 28
Day 29
Day 30 #FINAL
SPECIAL CHAPTER #1 : JUNG LEIA
SPECIAL CHAPTER #2 : HONG JOOCHAN & JANG AYA
SPECIAL CHAPTER #3 : KIM JIBEOM
SPECIAL CHAPTER #4 : CHOI SUNGYOON
SPECIAL CHAPTER #5 : THE LETTERS
SPECIAL CHAPTER #6 : KIM DONGHYUN & HA CHAERIN
SPECIAL CHAPTER #7 : BONG JAEHYUN & KIM HANNI
SPECIAL CHAPTER #8 : KIM AREUM
Epilogue

Day 22

27 8 0
By DaeyeoLION

Leia's storytelling
Leia goes out with Sungyoon as Sungyoon asks her to accompany him. Today is a holiday for Serendipity so she doesn't have any activities. Leia is only planning on packing her bag and stuffs for her trip tomorrow. So does Sungyoon because he's going to have a camp tomorrow. Sungyoon wants to buy some essentials stuffs to pack, so that's why he wants to go out with Leia.

*   *   *

"Have you packed yet, Leia?" Sungyoon asked Leia while driving. Leia smiles.

"Only a little bit" Leia says. Sungyoon laughes.

"What time are you needing to be at the airport?" Sungyoon asks.

"Around 5 or 6? Because our flight will depart at 8A.M." Leia says.

"Do you want me to send you to the airport? Because I have to go to the camp early too.." Sungyoon says.

"Is it okay?" Leia asks.

"It's totally okay" Sungyoon says while driving.

* * *

Leia goes to the mall with Sungyoon to buy some clothes, vitamins and skincare products. Since both Leia and Sungyoon will take about 5 days abroad, so of course all preparations have to be done; well-prepared.

After a few hours of spending their time together, it's Leia's time to buy some clothes for her trip. Sungyoon is just waiting for her at the bench outside the shop while scrolling down his phone. After a few minutes, Leia gets out of the shop with some shopping bags. Leia walks towards Sungyoon but he seems doesn't realise her presence.

"Oppa?" Leia calls for Sungyoon. Sungyoon looks at her.

"Oh, are you done?" Sungyoon asks. Leia nods. Sungyoon gets up from his seat.

"Where do you wanna go after this? Are you hungry?" Leia asks. Sungyoon nods.

"Oh Leia.. I just remember something.." Sungyoon says.

"What is it?" Leia asks.

"I just remember that I have to take my blood sample before next week's chemo session.." Sungyoon says.

"Is it today?" Leia asks.

"Yeah.. I just remember it.." Sungyoon says. Leia smiles.

"Luckily we haven't eat anything yet since last night!" Leia says. Sungyoon sighs.

"I'm sorry.." Sungyoon says.

"Why are you sorry about? Let's go now, okay?" Leia says.

"I'm sorry.. you must be hungry" Sungyoon says. Leia smiles.

"We can go to eat after that. Let's go" Leia says. Sungyoon nods.

* * *

Sungyoon has just finished taking the blood sample. However, he has to meet his oncologist to know the improvement of his health and to get the exact date for his next chemotherapy appointment. While waiting for his doctor to come to the treatment room, Sungyoon has some talk with Leia.

"Oppa.. can I ask you a genuine question?" Leia looks at Sungyoon.

"What is it?" Sungyoon asks.

"Do you think you're getting better?" Leia asks.

"I'm very positive about it.." Sungyoon says while smiling. Leia looks deeply in Sungyoon's eyes. He doesn't show any signs of weakness about his sickness. He seems has no worries about it. It's true that God will never test someone beyond their limits. He's really strong and diligent about it.

A few minutes later, a man comes in.

"I'm sorry for making you wait, Sungyoon! There.. there's a lot of things needed to be settled.." the man who is known as Sungyoon's oncologist come and then sit down on his chair, trying to catch a breath.

"It's okay! We're not even in rush.." Sungyoon smiles. The doctor smiles.

"Give me a sec.." The doctor says. He begins to take out his stethoscope that wraps around his neck onto the desk, and then he takes his water bottle to drink some water. Life as a doctor is never easy, isn't it?

"Doctor, is it okay if my sister is here too?" Sungyoon asks.

"Yeah it is.. it's okay" The doctor says. Leia smiles. Sungyoon smiles while looking at Leia.

"This is my doctor.." Sungyoon introduces his personal oncologist to Leia.

"Hi, Miss..?" The doctor begins to introduce himself.

"Leia. Jung Leia.." Leia introduces herself.

"Hi, Miss Leia. I'm Dr Lee. Lee Daeyeol. I'm the doctor in-charge for Sungyoon" The doctor named Lee Daeyeol introduces himself. Leia smiles.

"Okay, back to the topic.." Dr Daeyeol takes Sungyoon's medical file and begins to flip the page one by one.

"How about your progress? Do you encounter any relapse or maybe some after effect symptoms after chemotherapy?" Dr Daeyeol asks.

"I don't think I have relapse.. but I did encounter some after effects when my hair is starting to fall down a lot.. and I lost my appetite little by little.." Sungyoon says.

"What do you feel about your appetite? I mean, can you describe what makes you lose your appetite?" Dr Daeyeol asks.

"Everything begins to taste like metals after chemotherapy.." Sungyoon says. Dr Lee Daeyeol takes every note about what Sungyoon encounters.

"Do you find yourself to have other symptoms? Like maybe losing your weight again? Have you taken your medication daily?" Dr Daeyeol asks Sungyoon. Sungyoon begins to tell everything he feels to his oncologist genuinely, from what he feels to what he notices about himself. Leia is just listening carefully to everything.

* * *

The blood sample test, the last bone marrow sample and chemotherapy session record show that Sungyoon doesn't have much improvement after the first chemotherapy. His cancer begins to spread maliciously, without any signs of it will stop. Leia feels devastated to hear about Sungyoon's health isn't improving but she tries very hard not to show it, because Sungyoon must be feeling heartbroken even more, but he never shows it.

"You'll be having another chemotherapy at the 12th of March. Just like before, you have to stay here for the intense treatment.." Dr Lee Daeyeol says. Sungyoon nods.

"Doctor.. is my brother going to recover?" Leia dares to ask. Sungyoon and Dr Daeyeol both look at her. Dr Daeyeol sighs.

"Genuinely, I have no guarantee.. since AML is an aggressive condition that can spread rapidly.. I don't know how far it will go.. however, it's all theoretical because it depends on someone's antibodies to fight it too.. so I'm surely positive about his health" Dr Daeyeol says.

"Then... what for these treatments has to be done? If it can't give any guarantees to cure, why this treatment should have to be administered? Do you know how painful Sungyoon has to go just for this? If in the end, he doesn't get to recover, do you know how wasteful it can be?" Leia says.

"Miss Leia, I think you're mistaken my words. I don't mean that he'll never cure. I just don't have any guarantees of that. However, the treatment is still in an early stage. We never know how far Sungyoon's body can take with chemotherapy drugs but the possibility is never zero. He's still having chances to recover.." Dr Daeyeol says.

"It's still can't change the fact that even you're unsure with your medication. Then, what's the purpose of being a doctor if you can't cure your patients?!" Leia looks deeply into Dr Daeyeol's eyes. Sungyoon holds Leia's hand. She seems agitated.

"Miss.. I'm trying my very best to help my patient.. but I'm also a human being. I have no power or any special spells to cure my patients. My role is just to help.. with all knowledge I have.. still.. I am no one to beat God's power" Dr Daeyeol says.

"If no one can guarantee that Sungyoon will survive.. then how can I believe that he's going to be okay?" Leia says. Sungyoon holds Leia's hand really tight. Leia's tears begin to flow. She keeps her head down. Dr Daeyeol sighs. The environment seems to be too tight right now.

"I'm sorry.." Leia apologises to Dr Daeyeol.

"It's okay. I understand that you're feeling dejected.." Dr Daeyeol says. Sungyoon pats on Leia's shoulder.

"Is there any other way we can do?" Leia looks at Dr Daeyeol's eyes. Dr Daeyeol nods.

"We'll see his progress after the 2nd or 3rd chemotherapy session. If there's still no improvement or he's getting worse, I think we'll opt for plan B or plan C" Dr Daeyeol says.

"What is it?" Sungyoon asks.

"Plan B, maybe we'll opt for radiotherapy and plan C, bone marrow transplant. But I remind, these are for the worst case scenarios.. Thus, we'll stick with chemotherapy for now" Dr Daeyeol says.

"Which one has a higher survival rate?" Sungyoon asks.

"Of course, bone marrow transplant. Safer and have a higher cure rate" Dr Daeyeol says.

"Can't we just go for bone marrow transplant?" Leia asks. Dr Daeyeol sighs one more time.

"That's the problem.. it's not easy to find a matching bone marrow donor.." Dr Daeyeol says. Both Leia and Sungyoon sigh.

"If my bone marrow matches my brother's bone marrow, can we go for it?" Leia asks.

"Yeah, we can" Dr Daeyeol says.

"Can I get tested?" Leia asks.

"Sure, you can" Dr Daeyeol says. Leia begins to look at Sungyoon.

"Can I do it today?" Leia asks.

"Are you sure?" Dr Daeyeol asks, unbelievably. Leia looks at Sungyoon. Sungyoon is slowly shaking his head. He doesn't want to approve.

"Do we have any procedures before and after the bone marrow biopsy?" Sungyoon asks.

"Oh yeah.. before the biopsy, you have to fasting for several hours. No eat, no drink. After the biopsy, you can't take a shower, bathe, swim or use a hot tub for at least 24 hours" Dr Daeyeol says.

"Leia, you have to fly to the US tomorrow.." Sungyoon says.

"Ahh well in that case.. probably we can find another time to do the biopsy.." Dr Daeyeol suggests. Sungyoon nods. Leia sighs.

"It's okay, it's still not necessary. Sungyoon is still having a higher survival rate. We'll try to still opt for chemotherapy, for now. Hopefully he'll get better after this" Dr Daeyeol says. Both Leia and Sungyoon nods.

* * *

"Thank you so much for your service, Dr. See you again next week" Sungyoon says.

"That's my job, Sungyoon. Hopefully, there's something better awaits you for the next week's session" Dr Daeyeol says.

"I'm sorry, Dr. For my behaviour today.." Leia apologises to Dr Daeyeol before they leave the room. Dr Daeyeol smiles.

"It's okay! You don't have to worry about that. I've encountered "scarier" patients than you did. But I understand your determination. I really hope that Sungyoon will recover too.." Dr Daeyeol says. Leia smiles.

"Dr.. can I ask something?" Leia asks.

"Yes you can. What it is?" Dr Daeyeol looks at Leia.

"How about the patients you treat before my brother? Were they all survived?" Leia asks.

"God's will. I've treated 3 patients. They are all now living happily, cancer free" Dr Daeyeol smiles.

"You've just only treated 3 patients for all of these times?" Leia giggles. Dr Daeyeol laughs a bit.

"Leia.." Sungyoon looks at Leia, asking her to stop.

"In my life as a doctor, I met a lot of patients everyday. I barely remember them all, because there are mostly unfamiliar faces.. and most of them are still fighting for their lives.. but I remembered those who survived.. because when they were cancer free, they thanked me.. and they kept in touch with me.. as a show of gratitude, for giving them the 'second life' they needed, they said. But actually, it wasn't me who cured them. It was all because of their hard work and the main power, God" Dr Daeyeol says with a smile. Leia nods.

"Do you ever encounter the death of your patient? I mean if there's anyone who doesn't survive.." Leia asks. Dr Daeyeol looks into Leia's eyes. He takes a deep breath before he starts to answer Leia's question.

"Yeah.. only once.. she was my first patient.." Dr Daeyeol says. He looks down.

"How was your feeling when you lost her?" Leia asks out of her curiosity. Dr Daeyeol smiles a little while looking at Leia.

"Leia.. I think you should stop asking unnecessary questions.." Sungyoon says. Leia nods. When Leia is about to apologise, Dr Daeyeol cuts her words.

"My first patient... was my fiancée.." Dr Daeyeol says. He begins to look at a picture on his desk, in a white frame, a picture of him with a woman.

"We had planned for our future beforehand.. we were so excited to start our lives together.. we planned to get married after I finished my housemanship. We even took our pre-wedding pictures before she paralysed. I promised that I'd cure her.. she was the reason I became a doctor. She had been sick for years. She waited for me until I finally ended my internship.. but it all became a memory now.. she passed away a week before our wedding.. I know that she's now cured.. but it still aches my heart that she has to leave me this way.." Dr Daeyeol shows Leia and Sungyoon a small-red case with a diamond ring in it, that stays on his desk, next to the frame of him and his fiancée's pre-wedding picture. A beautiful jewel that match the ring on Dr Daeyeol's ring finger.

"Doctor.." Leia feels guilty.

"She was the strongest woman I had met.. the love of my life.. it's been 4 years since her passing. I missed her so much.." Dr Daeyeol's tears fell down.

* * *

"Please ensure my brother can fight his cancer till the end.." Leia says. Dr Daeyeol nods.

"I promise, I'll help him till the end of the battle. That's my job" Dr Daeyeol says while smiling. Both Sungyoon and Leia nod.

"Inform me if you wanna do the bone marrow biopsy. I'll spare a slot for you.. here is my card" Dr Daeyeol says while handling Leia his business card.

"Can I ask other people to get tested too?" Leia asks.

"That would be better. If we get more donor, maybe you can help other patients that matched the bone marrow tissues too.." Dr Daeyeol says. Leia and Sungyoon nod.

"Is the biopsy scary and painful?" Leia asks. Dr Daeyeol giggles.

"It may look scary.. you'll feel some pain too as you'll be only given local anaesthesia.. but if it's too painful, you'll be put to light sedation on your body so the pain will relieve.. don't worry" Dr Daeyeol says. Leia nods.

* * *

Both Sungyoon and Leia go to a restaurant to take their lunch together but Leia seems to look sorrowful after they leave AMC. Leia doesn't consume much of her lunch too.

"What's wrong?" Sungyoon asks.

"Nothing.." Leia says. Sungyoon looks at her.

"What is the thing in your mind?" Sungyoon holds Leia's hand. Leia sighs.

"I feel sorry for Dr Daeyeol. I shouldn't have to ask a lot about that.." Leia says.

"That's what the English idiom says 'curiosity killed the cat'" Sungyoon says.

"Ah.. I feel terrible.." Leia says. Sungyoon is just silently looking at Leia, chewing his food still.

"Oppa, should I message him? Apologise to him?" Leia asks Sungyoon while holding Dr Daeyeol's card.

"Aih no.. don't disturb him for useless purposes.. he's already got busy with his work load" Sungyoon says.

"But I feel guilty.." Leia says.

"It's okay, I believe he is fine with that.." Sungyoon says.

"What if he isn't?" Leia asks.

"I'll convey your apology to him next week.. don't worry too much" Sungyoon says. Leia sighs.

* * *

At night, Leia is busy packing her stuffs. There are so much things she wants to bring that it needs a 28-inches luggage and a 20-inches luggage only for her. Sungyoon laughs while seeing Leia's packing her stuffs.

"Sis, you aren't going there forever.. why are you packing so much things?" Sungyoon asks.

"This luggage is for my clothes and essentials.. this luggage is for my shoes" Leia says. Sungyoon laughs. His sister is always a fashionista. Not like him, a totally fashion disaster.

"Have you done packing?" Leia asks Sungyoon. Sungyoon nods.

"I only bring t-shirts and some polos. There's no need to bring a lot of fashionable clothes.." Sungyoon says.

"Don't forget your medicine. It's the most important thing you need.." Leia reminds Sungyoon. Sungyoon nods.

"I'm worried about you.." Leia says.

"I'm a grown man, Leia.." Sungyoon says.

"No.. I'm worried if.. if your health is—" before Leia finishes her words, Sungyoon interrupts.

"I'll be fine. Don't worry too much. There's a lot of people can help me if something happens. The campsite is nearby hospital too. So you don't have to worry a lot" Sungyoon tries to convince Leia. Leia looks deep in Sungyoon eyes before she nods.

"Just... take care.." Leia says. Sungyoon nods.

"You too.. bring me some souvenirs.." Sungyoon says. Leia nods.

"I definitely will" Leia says. Sungyoon smiles.

-To Be Continued-
✔️vote
✔️comment
✔️share

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.5K 857 35
Rosé: "Oh come on Jiyun, what do you have to lose??" Jiyun: "Ya know what? Fuck it, you're right. How do I get started though?" Rosé smiled at her b...
587K 37.7K 110
[ Alpha and Omega A.U ] -SEQUEL TO "Behind Curtains |Jikook|" "Before you go, give me a kiss... and make it last forever.." After many years of bein...
145K 11.2K 39
★Completed★ -Description- ❛❛A story started when officer Jeon Jungkook was trying to find his sister's culprit but found an innocent soul begging him...
66.8K 3.7K 20
[COMPLETE] ATEEZ wooyoung/san "he's just so perfect. do you know heather? for me, that's him." "..dude, heather's a girl." (full synopsis inside) -a...