Shadows over Sigil - The Eter...

_Milori_ tarafından

The adventures of a tiefling, a half-elf, a weretiger, a sorceress and a young warrior from Kamigawa in Sigil... Daha Fazla

Introduction and Dramatis Personae
The factol's daughter
The roster
House of Visions
It begins
Dark Clouds above Sigil
A Zebra in the Great Foundry
Initial Instructions
Familiy Day
New Faction Members
Alliances
The First Wheels Start Turning
Into the Hive
Night Market and Blood Pit
A Murder and a Vision
Toranna's Interrogation

The New Cycle Celebration

0 0 0
_Milori_ tarafından

"The New Cycle begins! Do not miss the event at the beginning of the year! The Festival of Sixteen Mephits! Alzor, the Gehennan dretch-swallower! Where? At the Civic Festhall, of course! The Lower Planar Circus and the Blue Jay await you! Admission is only five stingers - free entry for all Sensates and the clergy of Pan and Lliira! The Celebration of the New Cycle! As every year in the Festhall!"

Sensates barker

Third Guild Day of Regula, 126 HR

Factol Erin stood in the foyer of the newly renovated Ren Hall, watching contentedly as guests streamed into the theater. A well-dressed satyr in a fine blue frock coat caught her eye, gallantly leading a satyra with light fur and honey-colored hair on his arm. What a lovely couple. And there, that was Aram Oakwright, the deputy of factol Rowan Darkwood. Well, she could well do without the Duke himself. She was not angry with him for sending only his deputy. Then a woman approached her from the side, whose presence she appreciated all the more. Her red hair was pinned up that evening, which was rather rare. Normally Bria wore it open, just as her clothing was otherwise kept very simple. The bard was one of the unofficial leaders of the Free League and a gifted instrument maker. Erin greeted her with a friendly hug.

"Bria! How lovely to see you. I'm glad you found your way here tonight."

"For one of your fests, anytime," the bard replied with a laugh, looking at the guests streaming into the hall. "Really, Erin, I'm very excited to see what you've come up with this time."

"I'm sure it will be unforgettable," replied the factol of the Sensates. "Just like every time."

She noticed a less pleased expression on Bria's face and followed the bard's gaze. She glanced at Ely Cromlich, deputy to factol Pentar, who was standing near.

"Hm," she remarked unenthusiastically. "There's quite a few people there of distinction ..."

"The Festhall is open to all," Erin explained diplomatically. She understood Bria's distaste for the cambion. She herself didn't care much for the Sinker either. But her personal feelings were one thing. The Sensates' function as the faction that provided amusements for all of Sigil's inhabitants was another.

The cambion probably took Bria's look as an invitation to come over. Cromlich's direct descent from an incubus was clearly evident, both in his distinctly attractive features and the somber aura that surrounded him. He bowed deeply to Erin.

"Ely," she greeted as politely as she could. She was good at pretending, which was an advantage in her office. "I'm glad you're here."

The cambion kissed the hand she held out to him, holding it a little too long for her liking. His smile could in no way be called anything but insinuating. "Pentar regrets that she cannot be here," he explained.

"Yes, quite unfortunate," Bria remarked unenthused.

Ely's gaze now wandered over to the bard, whom he had so far ignored completely. "Oh Bria, you're here too," he noted with a grin. "I'm sorry, I hadn't noticed you next to Erin."

"I could have lived with that," Bria replied dryly.

She only slightly quirked her mouth, but Erin possessed excellent judgement of character, so she could tell that Ely's spiteful comment had struck her nonetheless. She was annoyed with the cambion. Such behavior was simply inappropriate.

"Ely," she therefore retorted with a quiet rebuke. "Who will start such a beautiful evening with such barbs?"

"Barbs?" Cromlich's grin was nothing less than openly provocative. "But, Lady Erin, what barbs? From me? You must be joking."

Oh no, she wouldn't get into that game. Ely would have to get up earlier to draw her out. She smiled adorably. "Then I must have imagined it."

Bria crossed her arms and looked annoyed at Cromlich, who could not completely hide his disappointment that Erin did not respond to his provocation. At the same moment Naghûl joined the group. No, Erin corrected herself inwardly. Not Naghûl. The Blue Jay. It was essential to keep this clearly separate now. She eyed him as he stepped closer. He wore an elegant costume in various shades of blue and a mask that covered the upper part of his face. It was modeled after the head of a Blue Jay, with a slightly curved beak that reached over his nose and many blue feathers, numerous and long enough to cover the larger part of his horns. Erin smirked inwardly. This man was always good for a surprise. She was thoroughly enjoying the situation. Knowing about this whole thing made his performance today much more exciting. If only there hadn't been that business with Sarin's daughter, Marinda ...

"Hey," the Blue Jay greeted nonchalantly and in an assumed voice, but stopped a bit away.

Erin nodded appreciatively. She wouldn't have recognized Naghûl, and so chances were good that Sarin wouldn't either - if he appeared. She had invited him, at least.

"Ah, one of the artists," Ely noted. "The Blue Jay, is it? Very nice, pleased to meet you." He nodded in greeting, but immediately his eyes wandered to a young woman standing nearby. She had dark hair and buck legs and was very attractive, so that Erin suspected a descent from a succubus or incubus. The cambion eyed her as if to undress her with his gaze and winked at her. Bria looked to Erin and just shook her head.

"Aye, that's right," the Blue Jay replied, then saluted another approaching person. This man was slender, rather wiry in fact, and wore a costume that also had a distinct bird theme. His, however, was yellow and black, as was the bird mask he also wore. Erin nodded. The Oriole, Aucupium's guitarist by trade ... and Naghûl's friend Sgillin, she knew by now. He lit a pipe as he approached. The young alu, who at the moment was the target of Ely's unambiguous gaze, tapped her hoof lightly, then caught sight of the cambion and looked directly at him for a moment. With a grin, she raised a brow, but then her eyes fell on the Blue Jay.

"Oh, the musician himself," she noted with a smile. "I wonder if there will be an autograph session later?"

She eyed him intently, causing Ely to drop his attention. He moved away from the group with one last prolonged glance at Erin's cleavage, then began a conversation with a nearby centaur.

"Well," Erin remarked lightly. "Mr. Cromlich to a tee."

"Yes indeed, he certainly is," Bria replied. "Who else are you expecting?"

"Factol Ambar has announced his appearance."

"Ambar?" Now the bard smiled for the first time since the quarrel with Ely. "Nice, I haven't seen him in a while."

The Oriole looked to the attractive alu and turned his head to the Blue Jay. "Couple of cute birds there, huh?"

After Cromlich had moved away, Erin waved the Blue Jay closer. "Lady's Grace," she greeted him graciously and Bria also nodded with a smile.

The Blue Jay performed a gallant bow. "Factol Erin. If I could put it into words, I would try to express my joy. But here I am left only with the gesture of a deep bow."

Erin smirked. "It's nice to have you performing today. We have some select guests here." She pointed to Bria. "You certainly know Bria Tomay."

"It would be a sin if I didn't," the musician replied to Erin's satisfaction.

Bria smiled as well. "A little more charming than Mr. Cromlich. I salute you."

The Blue Jay bowed to Bria as well, before looking toward the entrance. "Oh my ...," it slipped out. "High guests."

The distinguished guests he meant were the factols Ambar Vergrove and Terrance. Erin was delighted. She had firmly expected Ambar, but seeing Terrance in the Ren Hall as well was a welcome surprise.

The factol of the Godsmen beckoned to them from afar. "Erin, Bria, I greet you." The half-elf was of tall stature and slender build, but his human heritage also shone through, making him in turn more muscular and athletic than an elf. The handsome bard wore his auburn hair about shoulder length and his eyes were the color of fresh, young leaves. Quite a few women, as well as men, turned to look at him as he passed.

Erin walked up to Ambar and held out her hands to him. "Ambar, I'm very pleased that you are here!"

She then looked to Terrance, who walked quietly at Ambar's side. The Athar's factol was in his early sixties and relatively tall, only slightly shorter than Ambar. His short-cropped hair was still thick and full, but already graying, and his blue eyes, bright and alert, reflected his feelings quite openly most of the time. The factol was dressed in a dark blue, silver-embroidered robe that made him clearly identifiable as a priest. As a master of etiquette, Erin naturally knew of his high social standing as a high priest and performed a curtsy as she greeted him.

"Factol Terrance. I must admit, now I'm a bit surprised."

The Blue Jay nodded barely perceptibly at Erin's comment.

Terrance inclined his head towards Erin and Bria in greeting. "Ambar talked me into it," he explained amiably. "And he's good at that sort of thing ..."

The pretty alu had moved away from the group when the high-ranking guests arrived and sat down at the bar with a blonde woman and a dark-haired man.

"I'm glad to hear that, I really am," Erin replied, beaming at Terrance's response. She was sincere. The factol of the Athar was one of the rarer guests in the Festhall, but Erin liked him personally and had no differences with him on faction politics. She absolutely had to remember to praise Ambar for his persuasive skills. Then she let her eyes wander around the foyer again. "I wonder where Sarin is."

Blue Jay promptly coughed. "Oh ..."

Erin smirked. She could have put him on his guard. But what difference would it have made? He certainly wouldn't have canceled his performance and it might just have spoiled his anticipation.

Now it was up to Terrance to be amazed. "Sarin is coming, too? See, now I am surprised."

There was a tiny trace of sarcasm in his smile and Erin noticed it very well. "But Terrance, don't always be so cynical," she replied with a laugh. "You can have fun at the Harmonium, too."

Bria gave her a doubtful look and Terrance raised his eyebrows as well. "Um ... yeah, sure." This time the sarcasm in his voice was more pronounced.

Ambar laughed heartily in his carefree way. "Terrance, you're just being on the outs with Sarin because he voted against your petition in the Hall of Speakers."

"Mmm," Terrance replied with a chuckle. "And therefore against yours, too, my friend."

"Hardheads ... Main thing is being against something," the Blue Jay interjected, and it seemed to Erin as if it would just burst out of him.

Bria grinned broadly at these words and Erin shook her head in amusement at her sometimes a bit too fiery factotum. "Gentlemen," she interjected placatingly. "Let's leave politics out of this, at least for tonight."

When the Oriole choked and began to cough and the Blue Jay blurted out, "Oh Heavens ...", Erin knew who was approaching even before seeing him. The factol of the Harmonium headed her way at brisk pace, as usual. He was not wearing his armor this time, Erin noted with satisfaction, but a pair of crimson trousers, a white shirt, and over it an equally dark red outer garment, similar to a knee-length but close-fitting tunic with a long row of buttons. His clothes were embroidered with golden ornaments, which Erin often noticed on his garments. Nevertheless, he wore the two scimitars on his belt. He was accompanied by his wife Faith, who had chosen a simple but nevertheless noble white dress and wore her black hair elaborately pinned up. Erin smiled. So he had pulled himself together. Very good. The man was working too much and too rarely took time to attend cultural events in Sigil with his wife. At least that was her personal opinion, but she knew Faith shared it. Moreover, she liked Sarin. He had a chivalrous streak and also a certain, sometimes self-deprecating humor, which he, however, gladly and often successfully hid behind his gruff, sometimes even imperious demeanor. But she knew better. Compared to other Harmonium factols, Sarin was quite moderate and accessible concerning faction politics. All of this in combination made him a man high at the top of Erin's attention list. Very high. Like Ambar and Terrance, the paladin and his wife were followed by the gazes of many guests. High-ranking visitors were not uncommon at Sensate fests, but they were always an attraction nonetheless. When Sarin and Faith reached the group around Erin, the paladin bowed and kissed the hand she held out to him. Unlike Ely Cromlich, his kiss on the hand perfectly complied with all etiquette.

"Sarin, I am delighted to see you here," Erin greeted him, then turned to Faith. "And you as well, of course!"

"Erin, I can only return that," Faith replied warmly, greeting the Sensates' factol with a quick hug.

It was no secret that the two women had always gotten along well. Erin felt a bond with Faith on many levels, both as a priestess and as a high-ranking participant in the Kriegstanz. The Blue Jay apparently wanted to take advantage of the greeting scene to beat a hasty retreat, but it was too late. Sarin's gaze met him and his eyes narrowed instantly.

"Um ... Lady's Grace, factol," the musician stammered.

The situation was about to become more dicey than even Erin was comfortable with. She had to avoid a confrontation between the two at all costs, she realized. She turned from Faith to Sarin again and grabbed him by the hands. "Oh, factol, I must reiterate how wonderful it is that you are here!" she declared effusively.

Somewhat confused by her exaggerated cordiality, Sarin frowned. "Um, yes ... I'm glad too, Lady Erin ..." He looked past her to the Blue Jay. "So you ..."

"And anyway, what is that wonderful necklace your wife is wearing?" Erin chattered on, unperturbed. "A gift from you?"

Her factotum, meanwhile, had caught on. He had already moved a good distance away from the group. "Yes, well ... I have to prepare something ..." he explained, mumbling hastily.

Sarin's gaze briefly wandered to his wife's necklace. "Um, yeah ... I ..." He looked after the quickly departing Blue Jay, then gave up.

That had been a close shave. Erin cast a side glance at Faith and her smirk did not escape her. She knew exactly what was going on. And so did Sarin, of course, but fortunately he couldn't make a scene in front of her in the middle of Ren Hall. So he just sighed briefly and then greeted Ambar and Bria with a nod and Terrance with a rather deep bow. He might disagree with the Athar's factol on many issues, political and religious. But he clearly respected Sigil's etiquette enough to acknowledge Terrance's position as high priest. Terrance nodded politely to Sarin and Faith, while Ambar approached the paladin in good humor.

"Sarin, you here," he exclaimed enthusiastically. "This is ..."

"This is what, Ambar?" Sarin retorted promptly. "I'm here in the Festhall quite often."

"Of course," the half-elf conceded. "It's just ... Well, the performances ..."

Faith laughed a little. "Yes, they are quite ... specific."

Sarin looked to Erin. "That's true, I was going to bring that up, too. More from the Lower Planes wasn't possible, I assume?"

Erin sighed inwardly. Of course he had to bring that up. "But the subject does rotate," she explained innocently. "Upper, Lower, Concordant, Inner, Prime, Transitive, Chaotic, Lawful, Neutral. You know that."

The paladin waved it off in his sometimes gruff manner. "Yes yes, all right. I know." Faith gave him a reproving look, to which he smiled apologetically.

Now Erin waved it off, smirking though. "It's okay, I know." She didn't even let him get started on a retort. "But please, have a seat, the first performance is about to start."

Her guests nodded and complied with her request to follow her to the Ren Hall stage. They took their seats in the front row, Erin in the very center, Terrance, Ambar and Bria to her right, Sarin and Faith to her left. The Sensates' factol sighed inwardly as Ely Cromlich sauntered up and took a seat next to Faith, not without bowing exaggeratedly low to Sarin with a provocative grin. However, he could not wrest one of his hand kisses from Faith, who only nodded politely to him. Sarin didn't seem too thrilled about Ely sitting next to his wife, but said nothing about it. As deputy to factol Pentar, the cambion had the right to sit in the front row, this too was part of Sigil's etiquette. As the murmuring in the packed hall died down a bit in anticipation of the coming performances, Erin took the stage. The noise faded remarkably and she smiled with satisfaction. Not only the dress she wore - Rose of Amoria, a creation of the renowned Elysian dressmaker Yrathea - seemed to do its job. She was aware that her very own appearance and charisma also helped to attract all the thousands of glances in the hall. She had never shied away from being the center of attention. On the contrary, she enjoyed it. She bathed in it. When she looked into the faces of the crowd below, filled with anticipation, when she spread her arms with the words "Welcome to the New Cycle Festival!" and when thunderous applause rose, she knew exactly why she was here. Here, in the Festhall. Here, with the Sensates. Here, at the top, as factol. To bring this joy, the excitement, the pleasure. All of this was the balm that kept Sigil from becoming inflamed like a festering wound. And she and her faction had the privilege of bringing that alleviation. What more could a woman ask of life? As the applause died down, she bowed a little toward the crowd.

"Thank you! Thank you, Sigil! The Society of Sensation is happy about each and every guest and welcomes you all! Join us in celebrating the beginning of a New Cycle! We have prepared a somber yet all-sensory program for this year's theme: the Lower Planes! Follow us into the hells!"

She smirked as she saw Sarin shake his head at these words. Paladins. Light-footedly and with her characteristic sway of the hips, she descended the stairs from the stage and took her seat again to renewed applause. When Erin was seated, the lights dimmed and the factol realized that the fire mages of the Festhall had once again done a great job: All the chandeliers dimmed at exactly the same time and at a steady rate. The first performance was by Alzor, the Gehennan Dretch-Swallower. Erin heard Ambar laughing to her right and Sarin muttering something like "repulsive" and "beyond repugnant" to her left and had to grin. It would be a most entertaining evening. Alzor was followed by the appearance of Erasmus, the Two-Headed Silver Dragon. This was one of the few performances that did not follow the theme of the Lower Planes, and the dragon's chant in two voices was a touching experience for all in attendance. The Lower Planar Circus that performed afterwards, however, once again lived up to the theme of the festival. From the manes dressed as clowns to the performance of the flesh puppeteers of Cathrys to the tightrope act of the alu Nara, there was everything one could expect from a twisted circus of the macabre and abysmal. The erinyes Veldris sang her famous song "Will you kiss me", and as a climax she then proposed to her lover Nara on stage. When the alu accepted it, emotionally and tearfully, the applause was deafening. Erin doubted the authenticity of the proposal, but she had to admit that it was a felicitous interlude. Just as the happy couple strolled off the stage, a Harmonium officer came rushing up. With clanking armor, he ran up to the front row, eliciting reproving looks and also disapproving murmurs from the crowd. The officer moved swiftly and purposefully toward Sarin.

"Factol!" he shouted out of breath.

Sarin made a sign to him to speak more quietly, but beckoned him over. "What?"

The officer spoke softly and frantically to the factol, and Erin sighed inwardly as Sarin shot up out of his chair. "In the Abyssal Roulette Room? An incident you call that?!"

Erin winced. Did the man have to be so loud? It was bad enough that there had apparently been an incident. The Abyssal Roulette Room had been controversial as part of the festival from the beginning. But did all the guests have to know that something had happened? The officer explained something to the paladin and the factol flinched again as Sarin's voice grew even louder.

"Damn it!" Angrily, he turned his gaze to her. "Erin!"

With an apologetic gesture she raised her hands. "I'm sorry, Sarin. But how was I supposed to guess ...?"

Sarin did not let her finish her sentence and sighed audibly. "By the Lady, Erin, if ever one of your fests would not ... Never mind, I'll be right back."

With that, he hurried out, followed by the intimidated-looking officer. Erin glanced at Faith, who only raised her shoulders with a slight smile. Very well. The factol of the Sensates was not that easily upset. It was time for an interruption anyway. So Erin took advantage of the incident to invite the audience to a short break in the foyer with drinks and refreshments. "After that, the Blue Jay will perform!" she called after the visitors streaming into the entrance hall.

Having managed to avoid a rather awkward conversation with Reggia Pylk, the Wyrm Warden of the Mercykillers, Erin strolled through the Ren Hall foyer. She enjoyed the brief moment of being for herself, for surely another conversation partner would approach her all too soon. Not that she didn't appreciate the conversations at her parties - at least for the most part. But simply to let her eyes wander over the colorful crowd, to observe the different and varied guests, this too was a pleasure she always enjoyed. Of course, she would have liked to share it with her consort Da'nanin. But he had important duties in the Golden Hall on Arborea and therefore could not attend the celebrations that evening. The factol watched an elegant air genasi who was floating by more than walking. She thought she knew her slightly. Wasn't she one of the hetaeras from the House of Thirteen Orchids? At her side walked Favur Temk, a high-ranking judge of the Guvners, who was apparently one of her clients. Elsewhere, a harpy fluttered by, draped all over with remarkable jewelry. Then Erin heard an all too familiar voice and turned toward the entrance. Sarin was returning from the Abyssal Roulette Room and was clearly not in the best of moods. The factol of the Harmonium crossed the foyer, cursing quietly, and walked purposefully to the bar.

"A schnaps," he ordered curtly. "Anything spiritous."

The young tiefling behind the counter quickly served him a glass full of a deep red liquid. The paladin drank it down in one go. "One more." It sounded more like a command than an order. The tiefling obeyed frantically and with the second liquor, Sarin sat down. "Sensates ..." he muttered.

Erin was about to walk over to him, but she stopped, startled, when she saw who else was just approaching the bar. Sarin jumped up from his chair. "Marinda!

It was indeed his daughter. The young woman was wearing a blue dress - lovely in Erin's eyes, certainly too revealing in Sarin's - and had strolled through the foyer unceremoniously and apparently full of anticipation. However, when she caught sight of her father at the bar and their eyes met, she froze. The paladin noisily set down his glass and approached his daughter at a quick pace.

"Um ... good evening, father ..." the girl stuttered, somewhat caught.

Only now did Erin notice that the Oriole was also standing near the bar - to whose relaxation Marinda's appearance apparently didn't contribute either. Sarin, on the other hand, gave his daughter a withering look.

"Tell me, are you off your ..." he began and immediately interrupted himself, apparently somewhat stunned. "That's really ..."

Marinda, however, had apparently regained her composure. "I didn't know you were coming here, too," she said in a forcedly unconcerned tone, as if her presence was no big deal.

"Come off it," Sarin replied curtly.

"Um, but ... I can stay, right?" Marinda gave her father a heartbroken look. "Please, father, that would be really mean ..."

Sarin buried his face in his hands for a moment, then gently grabbed his daughter by the arm and pulled her a little to the side. "We should have a talk ..."

He led her a little away from the group of nearby guests, all of whom were staring curiously over at them. The Oriole frantically drank a few more sips and then hurried toward the stage. Erin had to grin. The spectacle here in the foyer was more entertaining than some of the evening's performances. Sarin spoke softly to his daughter. His gaze was scowling at first, but became increasingly resigned to Marinda's answers ... and a little softer, too. Like so many daughters, Marinda seemed to be able to persuade her father of many a thing, and Erin watched it with a pleased smile. Finally, Sarin spread his hands in a gesture of surrender, and Marinda hugged him enthusiastically.

"Thank you! Thanks, Dad, you're the best!"

"Yeah, all right." Sarin spoke a little louder again, so Erin could understand him. Possibly she had gotten a little closer, too.

"Can I stay until the end?" the girl asked excitedly.

The paladin sighed audibly. "Yes, but with due decorum, please! - Which doesn't include this dress, but too late." He shouted the last sentence after his daughter hurrying away, causing amused laughter among the nearby guests.

Erin also approached, laughing. "Wonderful, Sarin," she remarked good-humoredly.

"How nice that I can contribute to the entertainment of your visitors," Sarin replied, but only half annoyed. He was no fool and well aware of the outside effect of the scene that had just occurred, Erin realized. Spreading his arms, he turned briefly to the surrounding crowd. "The joys of parenthood," he remarked wryly and the assembled guests laughed.

It didn't escape Erin's notice how he had turned what had originally been an awkward scene in his favor. Interestingly, she wasn't entirely sure whether this had been a clever but unplanned response or, on the contrary, completely thought-out on his part. She thought he was capable of both and that made it so exciting for her. Yes, definitely a man she should keep an eye on. So she stepped right up to him and gave him her most charming smile.

"Very generous of you to allow your daughter to attend the fest."

"I'm sure I'll regret it soon enough," he replied, offering her his arm.

She hooked her arm with his and let him escort her back to the stage hall. Numerous glances followed them as the factol of the Harmonium led the factol of the Sensates through the foyer, and Erin was well aware of it. If this was true of Sarin as well, at least he didn't let it show. Before the performances continued, Erin took the stage once more.

"My honored guests," she began, "We will now continue. But first, a brief announcement ... Due to an incident between the pit fiend Zurfil and the balor J'laxx in the Abyssal Roulette Room, the very same ..." She interrupted herself and looked once more hopefully at Sarin, but he nodded vigorously. She sighed. " ... the very same is closed for tonight."

Partly approving, partly disappointed murmurs rose in the room and as she resumed her seat, Terrance, seated to her right, leaned toward her with a friendly smile. "Well, Erin, I hope that the whole district won't be in ruins by the end of the evening."

"Oh, Terrance ..." the factol replied with amusement and the high priest of the Great Unknown smirked.

Then came the moment Erin had been waiting for all evening: the performance of Aucupium. The Blue Jay's band now entered the stage and she cast a quick side glance at Sarin. The paladin's eyes narrowed a bit and he let out a soft, yet snide snort. Erin leaned back, relaxed, to enjoy the experience to the fullest. The first to arrive on the scene was a slender dark elf. Despite her black and gray feathered mask, her white hair and, thanks to her skimpy dress, black skin were clearly visible. She took her seat at the cello and began to play in low notes. This had to be Jackdaw, Erin remembered. Then a small man, probably a gnome, entered the stage, wearing a black, gray, red and white feathered mask and whistled to the tune. He was followed by a woman whose mask was trimmed with yellow feathers. An impressive scorpion tail protruded from behind her back to above her head. With this very tail, she began to beat the bass drum. Erin nodded. Rosefinch and Yellowhammer. The next players were all too familiar to her: Oriole took the stage with his guitar and he was eventually followed by the Blue Jay, the band's lead singer. Yellowhammer began to beat the other drums, Oriole fell in with his guitar and Jackdaw backed Oriole's melody on the cello. Rosefinch joined in with the low notes of the pan pipes. Then the Blue Jay began to sing in a surprisingly deep voice:

Building Sigil's their endeavor.

Do not ask from where they came.

Walking never, floating ever,

Every urchin knows their name.

Jackdaw began to sing in a high, clear voice:

When I'm walking through the streets,

Their work seems like a silent plea.

I always hear their hammers' beats -

A dabus I don't want to be!

Then the Blue Jay sang again:

No one knows their home sweet home.

All day they will gauge and measure.

They serve the Lady all alone,

No time for fun, delight or pleasure.

When I'm walking through the streets,

Their work seems like a silent plea.

I always hear their hammers' beats -

A dabus I don't want to be!

When the song ended and the hall applauded, the Blue Jay spread his arms. "Thank you, Sigil!" he shouted. "We are Aucupium! We welcome you all to the celebration of the New Cycle. Perhaps a few visitors have found their way here who are not from Sigil. From what I've heard, many portals are open ..." He paused artistically and looked at the Oriole. The latter began to play a slow melody on his guitar and Blue Jay intoned the next song:

In the ring atop the spire -
Dolores floating through the streets -
The greatest peace you can aspire,
Is in the death-book's tattered sheets!

Each faction does its daily tasks
Most concentrated on its goal.
An Anarchist wears many masks
Yet fears the Red Death's next patrol.

Every Hardhead pounds a beat,
Dustmen are trawling through the Hive,
The Sinkers do their evil deed,
For war the fiends do ever strive!

HEY - This is Sigil!
Portals open - Berk, come in!
HEY - This is Sigil!
Portals open - Even clueless, kith and kin!

Experience is what they search,
Wandering from plane to plane.
So many Sensates feel the urge,
Enjoying sorrow, love and pain.

Chaotic art, not without flaw,
Causes scandal here and there.
The Guvners must stand by the law,
Or chaos soon is everywhere!

HEY - This is Sigil!
Portals open - Berk, come in!
HEY - This is Sigil!
Portals open - Even clueless, kith and kin!

Athar versus Sign of One,
Their philosophy knows every child.
The Ciphers balance moon and sun.
The Takers' profit always wild!

Aoskar already met the knife,
And every Bleaker knows:
"There is no point in life,
no point in life!"

HEY - This is Sigil!
Portals open - Berk, come in!
HEY - This is Sigil!
Portals open - Even clueless, kith and kin!

Erin kept laughing heartily at the lyrics of the song, occasionally sneaking a quick peek at Sarin. The Harmonium's factol continued to eye the Blue Jay with a sharp, ungracious look. Well, perhaps it simply took another song or two for the paladin to thaw and admit, at least to himself, that Aucupium's music was well worth listening to.

The Blue Jay turned to the audience again after a bow. "We promised factol Erin that we would bring her a new song," he explained. "Unfortunately, our creativity and imagination were not enough to write a song that does her justice."

The crowd applauded again at the deft compliment to the factol, and she threw a kissing hand to the Blue Jay while pretending not to notice Sarin's side glance.

"But still, a song about a beautiful woman," the musician continued.

"True, but she's only almost as beautiful," the Rosefinch interjected.

The Blue Jay nodded in agreement, then called out to the crowd. "Succubus!"

Sarin snorted softly, while Ambar seemed quite fond of Aucupium's music. Yellowhammer introduced the song with strong timpani beats and Jackdaw joined in shortly thereafter, bowing her cello. Rosefinch accentuated the melody with the low, lightly swinging notes of a didgeridoo and the last to chime in was the Oriole with his guitar. The Blue Jay sang:

You're standing there, my eyes with you.
My breath, it stops - you see me, too.

I lose my faith under your charm.
Fear arising, lasting harm.

When I look into your eyes,
I desire your embrace.

How much I wanted to escape.
But my doom is taking shape.

I know I'll fall.

My soul, once pure, belongs to thee!
Now suck it out and laugh at me!

My mind was mine, now without god.
Want only you, faith deeply flawed.

I love you and I live for you.
Day by day my passion grew.

Burnt out, distraught, in foreign land.
An old man knew, why I was banned.
My sword was close at hand!

How much I wanted to escape.
But my doom is taking shape.

I know I'll fall.

My soul, once pure, belongs to thee!
Now suck it out and laugh at me!

The audience went wild and the applause was thunderous. The guests' enthusiasm made Erin's heart flutter. What a wonderful performance from her factotum and his band! If only Sarin didn't notice ... But Naghûl was good. From the costume to the assumed voice to his changed gestures and posture. He disguised himself so perfectly that even Erin herself would not have recognized him. So she could probably enjoy the performance's conclusion without worry.

"Sigil, our Cage!" the Blue Jay called. "Our last song for today. A multiversal song. A piece of history. A piece of reality. A piece of the future! Psst ... quiet now ..." He gestured to the audience to fall quiet. "Birds also sing during war," he said in a somewhat softer voice and intoned the last song.

Army after army, marching from plane to plane
With shield and sword - in front the spear.
They sharpen their claws, they hunger for pain.
Do you see all the corpses? Their war raged here!

Yesterday we were friends, today under pay.
My sword was sharper, never wanted your death.
No time for mourning, fight's not far away.
Conscience behind walls, remorse in each breath.

It's raining, it's raining blood.
It's raining - fiendish blood!

Years ago I ate from your plate.
Now lying hidden for you in wait.
Merciless I killed the foe.
My father, I have loved you, though.

I drew my dagger from my own flesh and blood.
Between law and chaos, only rage remains.
I dragged my honor through the mud.
But it's all forgotten in the Blood War's chains.

It's raining, it's raining blood.
It's raining - fiendish blood!
It's raining, it's raining blood.
It's raining - fiendish blood!

Erin applauded enthusiastically. What a song about the Blood War! The lyrics definitely got under the skin. Glancing sideways at Sarin again, she actually saw the paladin nodding slightly. The last song seemed to have met with his approval. Hadn't he even tapped his foot slightly during the last verses?

"Thank you Sigil!" exclaimed the Blue Jay. "We are the songbirds in your Cage! We are Aucupium! Enjoy the fest!" And with a bow, the musicians left the stage.

Erin bowed slightly to Sarin. "Well, dear factol? Tell me yourself: Doesn't your daughter have good taste in music after all?"

"The man's music is not my problem," Sarin replied tersely. "The place he occupies in Marinda's mind is."

Erin smirked. He would never admit that at least the last song had pleased him. Certainly not tonight. The final attraction, now fluttering and tumbling onto the stage, was the Festival of the Sixteen Mephits. The chaotic troupe was composed of one mephit from each of the sixteen Elemental Planes and had already made several appearances on large planar stages. With their elemental powers, they put on a color and effects show that put many an illusionist to shame. Clouds of gray mist drifted through the air, lightning flashed down, salt crystals sprayed, ash and sand swirled through the air. Then the water mephit Aquatus began his recitation:

In the ocean, water carries
Far away the distressed, ever comforting.
In the river, water flushes
Lover to beloved, on a light barque.

Water rushes from rocky gorges
as a song down to the valley.
Water pearls as dew each morning
into the flowers' calyces.

Water trickles, as a mild rain,
Cooling into the dry earth.
Water refreshes, as a wayside spring
Wand'rer, shepherds, deer and herd.

Without drinking water,
All beauty would fall.
Alas! And only to your eye
Water is - a tear!
1)

It was a thoroughly memorable experience to hear a creature like a mephit recite such a sustained and serious text. Erin had to smile, as did many of the other guests. And yet the beauty of the words was undeniable. Aquatus bowed dramatically toward the audience, then pointed to the troupe's fire mephit. "I pass to my brother Fire!" he shouted. At this, the fire mephit Incendius fluttered forward and began to recite fervently:

"Thee before all thy brethren
I have loved from of old,
Fire, thou high, glorious flame!
Sluggish and heavy the earth lies.
Sadly dreamy the water wanders,
In aimless circling return!
"

The vituperation of the elements Earth and Water after praising Fire, however, did not go over well with all of his colleagues. "Hey, wait a minute!" exclaimed Terrenus, the earth mephit. Aquatus also complained loudly, but Incendius was not deterred.

"Woozy and empty
Sweeps over water and earth
The juggler air.
But thou, flame,
Strong-tempered, proud
Daughter of the sun
..."

"What? Hey!" screeched the air mephit Aerius. Incendius, however, simply continued.

" ... Skyward thou dost rise,
Sweeping up the languid to purifying fire,
Dissolving the sad into hovering veils,
Binding the roaming until it serves thee,

Until, in trembling humility, it wets thy thirsting lips!"

"That's enough!" cried Terrenus, incensed.

"You're nuts!" interjected the mist mephit Fumeus.

"Yes, none of your cheek!" Gemmeus, the mineral mephit, was also annoyed.

Incendius quickly fluttered back a bit and raised his small clawed hands defensively. "Hey, slow down ..."

"What new text is that?" asked Limosus, the ooze mephit, indignantly.

"I just thought I might ... well, try something new," his fiery brother explained himself. "A kind of paean to my element ..."

"But not by throwing mud at ours!" clamored Salarius, the salt mephit.

"Mud? Hey!" cried Limosus indignantly.

"Sorry," squeaked Salarius quickly.

Aquatus in particular was now unstoppable. "You'll pay for that!" he shouted, shooting a jet of water at the fire mephit.

Hissing and steaming sounds rang out and Incendius cried out in fright. "Ahh! Hee!"

Head over heels, he fled the stage, fluttering and squealing, followed by the enraged, clamoring throng of the remaining fifteen mephits, who chased after him with jets of ice, clouds of ash and lightning. The audience laughed heartily at the unexpected conclusion of the show. After this performance, Erin entered the stage again.

"Well ..." she said, laughing. "That was an unexpected conclusion. Still, I'd like to ask for a round of applause." The guests complied with her request and thunderous applause rose to mark the end of the performances. When it died down, Erin nodded with a smile. "Dear guests, we have thus come to the end of the performance part of the New Cycle Celebration. I am very happy that you all were present to celebrate with us!"

She interrupted herself when, out of the corner of her eye, she saw a mage staggering around the room, obviously drunk and muttering to himself. Wasn't he holding a bottle of mango rosemary wine, which wasn't served in the Festhall for a reason? And he was dangerously close to ... She raised her hand and was about to call out, but too late ... "Whoops! Not that key ..." slurred the mage, startled. "That was a mistake ... Oh no, that just can't be ..."

"No, stop right there!" cried Erin. But by then the portal between two of the pillars had already opened.

"Not this key ..." cried the mage with a hiccup. "This is the wrong one ..."

Alarmed, Sarin rose in the front row and the other guests also looked at the portal, confused or afraid.

"Uh oh ..." muttered Erin. "This is not good."

As soon as the portal was open, dozens of bacchae jumped out - it was unfortunately big enough to let such a horde through. Those feral inhabitants of Arborea looked quite similar to satyrs, but were clearly more ferocious than them. They had larger horns, shaggier fur and a distinctly destructive character. It didn't take them long to get their bearings in Ren Hall - or they simply didn't bother. Blindly, the creatures charged into the auditorium.

"Bacchae!" cried the Oriole. "Now, that's going to be fun."

"Yay!" roared one of the uninvited guests. "A party?"

"We'll join in the celebration!" cried another.

"No," Sarin shouted energetically. "No way!"

"Celebrate!" roared the whole horde, stomping their hooves. "By all means!"

Erin sighed. Mango-rosemary wine was so strictly forbidden in the Festhall because a bottle of it was the portal key to one of the greatest bacchae glades on Arborea. The Sensates liked fests, but they also liked their Festhall. Startled, Erin looked to the Harmonium's factol. "Sarin, I ... This is not part of the program!"

"I should hope not!" retorted Sarin fiercely.

The guests seated closest to the bacchae quickly rose from their places and moved away, many toward the exit. Arborea's wild petitioners jumped on the empty chairs or ran at the visitors.

"Yaaaay, party!" one of them bawled, snatching a fan from the hand of a nearby geisha.

Another leaped over the stage barrier toward the drums. Terrance, Ambar and Faith had also risen and as several bacchae poured into the aisle between the stage and the front row, Sarin pushed his wife and Erin up the steps to the stage just as one of the guys was about to pounce on the Sensates' factol. The paladin placed himself between the women and the bacchae and made a gesture to Terrance and Ambar to go up on stage as well. Both men followed his beckoning and Erin gratefully remained at Faith's side.

"Very chivalrous, Sarin, thank you ..."

The bacchae who already made it on stage began to drum furiously. Most of the members of Aucupium had possessed the presence of mind to retreat to the backstage area. Only the Oriole was still there, watching the goings-on. The bacchae, who had been targeting Erin, was now hopping toward Sarin with his arms outstretched.

"Come on, let's celebrate! I'll dance with you then!"

The little guy didn't even reach the paladin's chest and Sarin unceremoniously held him back by one of his horns. "No!" he barked at him. "You're going back to Arborea!"

Laughing, the bacchae pointed at the bottle of mango-rosemary wine, lying on the floor in shards. "Not possible! No key!"

"We'll get another one," Sarin assured him, as he struggled to keep two more petitioners away from the stairs to the stage with his other arm.

Ambar grabbed one of the little guys who had already jumped up and plopped him back off the stage. But already another one was trying to climb up. More and more spectators left the hall in flight, but some were also bottled up by the bacchae. Terrance glanced at Erin with a raised eyebrow. "What was that about the district in ruins?"

The Sensates' factol spread her hands. "It really wasn't planned that way."

She spotted the young alu in the crowd that had been eyeing Ely in the foyer. One of the bacchae leapt toward her. "Come on!" he yelled. "Dance!"

The alu jumped back as the bacchae approached her. "Get out of here!" she shouted indignantly.

Erin looked around for Bria, but the bard had probably managed to leave the stage area, which was particularly besieged by the bacchae, in time.

"Come! Celebrate! Dance!" shouted one of the wild guys, another climbed onto a chair and hopped on it.

"Surely there's wine here!" shouted a third and a fourth threw a chair aside. "That's in the way!" he grumbled hoarsely.

There were dozens of them, really. Sarin probably decided that the bunch could not be dealt with by words, nor were the few Harmonium officers present enough to clarify the situation. He spotted his firstborn, who was making her way forward to the stage, to her parents.

"Marinda!" he shouted, and his loud voice actually managed to drown out the noise so that his daughter heard him. "Go to the Barracks! Get your gear and call for reinforcements!"

Marinda saluted, which made for a somewhat bizarre sight in her revealing blue dress. "Yes, Fa ... factol!"

"Good, Marinda, and please take care of yourself!"

She returned his smile, which could not quite hide his concern. "Yes, Father!" Then she hurried out.

Sarin turned to the remaining guests. "Anyone who feels able, help capture these bacchae!"

"Can they be torn to pieces, too?" the young alu asked grimly.

"I'd rather it stay at non-lethal force," replied the paladin as he pulled back a bacchae that was trying to climb onto the stage by one of his buck legs.

"Come on!" the latter complained. "Celebrate!

The Oriole rose from the stool behind the cello and nodded. "I'll do my part to catch them."

He reached for his guitar while down in the hall several of the intruders had built a mountain of chairs thrown on top of each other.

"Get rid of those chairs!" they yelled. "We don't need them! We'll make a big fire out of them to dance around!"

One of the bacchae by the stage tried to snatch Sarin's cloak, which he immediately snatched from her brusquely. Another began to tear off the arm of a chair. "This is going to be a nice fire. Really big!"

At the same moment, the Oriole came forward with his guitar and began to play dance songs, probably hoping that the bacchae would come closer to the stage and get away from the guests in the hall. The buck-legged drummer, the only one who had managed to climb the stage so far, felt all the more spurred on by this. "Yaaay!" She drummed frantically. "Music! Come and dance!"

Terrance realized he was standing too close to the edge of the stage when he had to pull his robe from the fingers of a bacchae. "Well, Erin, this is really ..." He shook his head. "I guess you'd call it an interesting experience."

When the Oriole saw that a few bacchae, attracted by his music, were already gathering at the bottom of the stage, he urged the drummer. "Why don't you call your friends up here to the front? There's a lot more room to dance."

But many of the other troublemakers were still scattered throughout the hall, dancing wildly, throwing chairs and harassing the guests. Erin sighed. She had to face it, the situation was out of control. "Sarin, I am officially requesting the intervention of the Harmonium before they tear apart the whole Festhall."

"I'll do the utmost," Sarin countered as a chair leg came flying by, missing his head by a hair's breadth.

"Move that chair!" screeched a bacchae from below.

"Hey!" shouted Erin indignantly as another troublemaker began to peel the mosaic off the floor tiles.

The Oriole positioned himself at the edge of the stage so that as many bacchae as possible could hear the music. Sure enough, a few more of them flocked to the stage. Before the portal had closed, several dozens of them must have come through. The musician's plan worked in so far as fewer guests in the hall were now harassed by the wild creatures. However, this made the situation in front of the stage more dicey. There were now so many bacchae that Sarin and Ambar could no longer keep them all away from the stairs and the edge of the stage. Already the first one climbed up, rushed to the cello and tore at the strings. At the same moment, a squad of Harmonium officers also made their way down the hall.

"Orders, my factol?" the decurion at the head shouted to Sarin.

"Secure the Festhall!" the paladin commanded. "Arrest all bacchae, if possible don't kill them. They are not evil, it is not in their nature. But highly chaotic and therefore a danger. Get reinforcements from the Barracks! Send word to Tonat Shar! Protect Lady Erin and my wife!"

"Yes, factol!"The officer saluted and the soldiers began to advance against the rampaging bacchae. However, the creatures were not only wild and chaotic but also agile and fast. Again and again they slipped through the hands of the soldiers, who did their best to obey their factol's command and not seriously injure them. Meanwhile, up on the stage, a bacchae reached for the Oriole's instrument.

"Give me the guitar!" he shouted.

The musician slapped the guy on the fingers. "No way! That's mine! Paws off!"

Meanwhile, the bacchae down in the hall were smashing the furniture to smithereens and many of the patrons fled the theater. Fortunately, more Harmonium officers arrived. Marinda could not have reached the Barracks that quickly, so Erin assumed they were the patrols closest to the Festhall who had learned of the commotion from escaped patrons. Some of the guests, however, had responded to Sarin's call to keep the bacchae at bay. One of the rioters, who was chopping up a fallen chair, was grabbed by a leonal and flung away. The alu, who had caught Erin's eye, was also still standing in front of the stage and seemed to be thinking.

"We should probably help the Harmonium," she said, but then apparently changed her mind. "Or I could just go." With those words, she made her way toward the exit, not without giving one of the bacchae in her path an energetic hoof kick.

The Oriole also shouldered his guitar. "Futile," he remarked.

Ambar and Sarin had pulled more bacchae off the stage, while a quick wave of Terrance's hand created a gust of wind that swept down a group climbing up on the side. Some of the Harmonium soldiers had fought their way to the stage at a call from their factol.
"Faith, a patrol has arrived for you and Erin," Sarin explained.

Faith nodded and gathered the tattered hem of her dress to descend the stairs under the protection of the soldiers, but Erin shook her head. "I'm staying!"

"Erin ..." the paladin began, but she did not let him speak.

"No, Sarin, I'm staying."

He sighed deeply, probably realizing that she would not be persuaded to leave her faction headquarters. Faith turned to look at her once more.

"Dear Erin, please take care of yourself."

She nodded to her friend, then Sarin's wife was escorted to the exit of Ren Hall, shielded by the soldiers. The paladin followed the group with a watchful eye until they reached the door unharmed. Meanwhile, the Oriole tried to grab the bacchae maltreating the drums. But before he could reach her, she jumped full force on the instruments and one of the drums broke.

"I'll get you!" the musician shouted and chased after the drummer. Sure enough, he got a hold of her. "Gotcha!"

"Let go of me!" protested the bacchae. "You better party!" She kicked at the Oriole's leg with her little hooves.

"I'll celebrate when you're back on your ... ouch!" With a pained cry, the Oriole let go as the hoof hit his shin hard.

Erin looked around the hall and had to admit to herself that the New Cycle celebration had gone violently awry. What a mess! She took a deep breath and raised her voice. "I apologize for the chaotic ending!" she shouted to the disintegrating crowd. "It was still a lot of fun!" Sarin looked at her as if she had lost her mind. With an apologetic smile, she raised her shoulders. What else could a factol of the Sensates say?

The Oriole looked after the fleeing drummer and shrugged. "Ah, screw it ... I'm going to get drunk."

Ambar let his gaze wander around the hall, which by now had almost as many bacchae as remaining spectators. "Well, now what?"

Terrance shook his head gently. "Ambar, you and your invitations."

"Well ..." Ambar ducked as, once again, a chair came flying.

The Athar's factol ruffled his robes a bit as he descended the stairs. "Let's try to help the people who weren't so lucky to get out of here unharmed," he said.

"Good plan." Ambar followed him. "Promise to take me to the Foundry if I'm left unconscious anywhere."

Already a bacchae was coming toward him. "Come! Let's have a drink and celebrate! Don't be so lame!"

Sarin now turned to the factol of the Sensates. "Lady Erin, if you will not allow one of my patrols to get you out of here unharmed, please at least make your way to the Festhall garden."

She wanted to disagree, but she recognized the concern in his gaze, which he didn't even try to hide. His tension did not escape her either. She understood, of course. If something happened to one of the factols here, he would be held responsible. And Terrance and Ambar could defend themselves against the bacchae better than she could, she had to admit. She looked toward the door into the garden. The way was clear. Erin nodded to Sarin. "All right, then. I'll head over there. You save Ren Hall."

Sarin nodded in relief. "I've been keeping an eye on the door," he called after her as she left the stage. "No bacchae have gotten there yet. Half of them went to the front exit and chased the guests. I'll have the door guarded once you're outside."

Erin took one last look back. The theater was visibly emptying as the audience fled the marauding bacchae. Terrance knelt by an apparently injured halfling woman, while Ambar and Sarin held back some bacchae from an older tiefling couple. As the two soldiers approached who should guard the garden door, Erin nodded her thanks to them and then stepped outside. It was dark and surprisingly balmy by Sigil standards. The silence of the garden cloaked her like a blanket. So quiet and peaceful was it here that it was hard to believe the chaos afoot just beyond the door was real. Erin strolled over to the fountain, noticing that her dress - Rose of Amoria, a wonderful yellow, red and pink combination - was partly tattered. A pity about the wonderful creation. She would write a letter of apology to the dressmaker. As she sat down on the bench by the fountain, she heard voices and realized that she was not the only one who had taken refuge in the garden of the Festhall: the Blue Jay and the Oriole were standing nearby. Smiling, she beckoned them to join her and began a casual conversation. They talked about the chaotic evening, the performance of Aucupium, the other artists ... After a while she heard voices again and saw that Ambar and Terrance had also left the Festhall. They headed for the fountain and Erin could listen to their conversation as they approached.

"I agree with you on many things, Terrance," Ambar just declared, obviously in good spirits despite the chaotic incident.

Terrance smirked. "For example, on the fact that we would be better off without gods?"

"Not on that in particular," the half-elf replied with a laugh. "After all, I would like to become one myself someday, if possible."

"Well, I won't worship you," the Athar's factol countered.

With pretended dismay, Ambar put his hands to his chest. "Not even me?" He grinned. "Too bad!"

Terrance laughed a little at his apparent disappointment. "I will pray for you, though."

"To whom?" Ambar retorted in jest and Terrance laughed good-naturedly.

When the two had almost reached the fountain, Sarin also came out of the theater, looking somewhat battered and with a bloody lip. At the sight of him, the Oriole and the Blue Jay rose quickly and, with a hasty bow, moved away toward the garden exit. Ambar looked after them.

"Oh ... and away they go. What a pity, I would have liked to have exchanged a few more words about their performance."

"Why can't I help thinking," Terrance remarked, "that they are running from factol Sarin?"

"I beg your pardon?" asked the paladin who had just joined the group.

"What?" replied Terrance innocently.

"You were talking about me?" Sarin stated questioningly.

"Only sweet-talk, Sarin," Ambar assured him. "But you can guess that."

"Mhm ... certainly," the paladin replied, but his facial expressions betrayed that he was only half serious.

"So?" asked Terrance. "Slowly regaining control in there?"

"It's getting better inside," Sarin confirmed. "But some of them are in the city now, carrying things too far there."

Terrance smirked. "So, Sarin, you see, you should have come here today one way or another."

"That makes me feel a lot better, Terrance," the paladin replied sarcastically, then sighed. "But thanks for your help in there." He nodded his thanks to the other factols.

Terrance grinned briefly. "Does that mean you would agree to our request in the Hall of Speakers after all?"

"Ah, Terrance ..." Sarin slightly twisted the corner of his mouth into a smile.

The high priest looked to Ambar and laughed. "Told you."

The half-elf raised his hands in a "it was worth a try" gesture and Erin laughed as well.

"Gentlemen," she said with amusement. "Are you not tired of the Kriegstanz even at such a late hour? Or should I say at such an early hour?"

"That's the right one talking," Sarin replied with a quick grin, then looked back to Ambar and Terrance. "Shall I give you a patrol?"

The factol of the Believers shook his head. "I think we'll get through unscathed." Terrance merely nodded to his words.

"But really, gentlemen, please," Sarin said gravely. "Otherwise the Harmonium will be responsible for this."

"A delightful thought ..." replied Terrance with a smile. "Well, almost."

Erin laughed heartily. "Gentlemen ..."

Ambar also observed the repartee with amusement. "You two are always worth watching to me," he remarked.

Sarin gave him a meaningful look. "Glad you're enjoying yourself."

Terrance also raised a brow. "Oh, that's why you dragged me here."

"What did you think?" retorted Ambar good-humoredly.

Erin was pleased to see at least one of her colleagues in such a good mood. She hooked up with Ambar and smiled at Sarin and Terrance. "It was a successful evening after all, even if the ending was a bit of a mess."

"I thought it was very successful," the half-elf agreed with her. "Except for the vandalism and the injured, of course."

The Harmonium's factol shook his head. "Honestly, Ambar, sometimes I don't know whether I should be looking for you in the Foundry or among the Xaositects."

"Now, that was a bit nasty, Sarin," Terrance remarked.

"Mmm," the paladin growled. "I'm sure Ambar is deeply affected."

The half-elf grinned. "You bet."

Erin turned to the Athar's factol. "And Terrance? Do you think people believe in their gods more or less now because of this mess?"

"Well, I hope less," the high priest replied.

Sarin took a controlled breath and Ambar tried to smooth the waters. "Come on, Terrance, the gods aren't that bad."

The Athar's factol raised his eyebrows. "That's why you're trying to become gods, huh?"

"Exactly," Ambar confirmed gleefully.

Sarin waved it off. "Which proves your factions are both insane. - So, I'll check on the rest of the bacchae. Lady Erin, inside everything is secured enough for you to go to your quarters without concern."

She nodded to him gratefully and he bowed before leaving the Festhall garden to attend to his Harmonium factol duties. Terrance couldn't help but address Ambar again.

"Besides, I never said all gods are bad, Ambar. I'm just saying that they're not divine. Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me, anyway?"

"Probably because people are too shocked by your philosophy," the half-elf speculated with a teasing grin.

"Oh, come on, Ambar, nobody in Sigil is shocked because of this."

"Well, Sarin wasn't so amused about the topic," the factol of the Godsmen noted.

"I wouldn't either, if I was a paladin," Erin remarked.

"You're a priestess, after all," Terrance replied with a smile.

"Oh, well. That may be true. But I'm factol of the Sensates, so I have to allow myself a ... broader perspective on that."

"How convenient for you," Terrance replied with a grin.

Erin acknowledged the ironic remark with a charming smile and the High Priest of the Great Unknown let it slide as well. They chatted briefly about the evening's events, about the next sculpture exhibition planned for the Festhall and about the political situation in Tir na Og. Then Ambar and Terrance left the garden and Erin watched them until they had passed the gate. Two factols walking the streets of Sigil alone and without guards was not exactly common. And many of their colleagues would not have done so either. But Ambar and Terrance were well aware of their abilities and Erin realized she had to worry more about those who would be foolish enough to come after the two. Looking up at the sky, she noticed that the First Light was already approaching. With a satisfied hum, she strolled back toward the Festhall. The incident with the bacchae might not have been planned, but would certainly ensure that this New Cycle celebration would be long remembered. Exactly the demand she had for her festivals.

(played January 13, 2012)

____________

The events of this session are based on the first and second issue of the wonderful fan-created Sigil newspaper SIGIS of the year 1997.

1) a poem by Karl Egon Ebert

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

472 9 36
Carmel is a Fire-weaver who has started her journey to become a Warden of Fire. To do this she must journey outside of the Willow-wood and into the w...
1.2K 161 55
Corrupted by evil, a once glorious sorceress had transformed into the most brutal and cunning devil of the land, cloaked in a long, draping black clo...
74 8 25
A story of a High elf cleric losing the strongest member of her group - a Tiefling sorcerer - to a corrupted tyrant who wishes them death and destruc...
189 5 7
Going to school, getting up for work, chores, and paying the bills. These are daily tasks that we all have to deal with. Or as most call this, realit...