A Choice with Regrets [Levi A...

By yixinglish

A blue and white bird falls into the hands of humanity's strongest soldier. Will they regret meeting each oth... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
Epilogue

39

71 4 0
By yixinglish

One Year Later (848)
Wall Maria

[Levi's POV]

Ever since the breach of Wall Maria three years ago (845), our job as scouts along with the Garrisons is becoming less demanding due to the smaller numbers of titans invading the walls, but the fatality rate is much higher. Unlike before, our expeditions outside the walls were always planned out with plenty of resources behind us and we had small goals in mind, but this... is troublesome.

Within the year, our expeditions gave us time to gather fresh recruits, time to smooth out plans to reclaim Wall Maria, and time to get all the supplies we needed. Though our missions are becoming fruitful, our job would be done a lot quicker if we could plug up the hole in the wall.

Every passing day feels the same and my days have gotten gloomier without Sina. It has been a year since I last saw her and it stings deep in my gut when she's not around. I received no update on her whereabouts, which I find worrying, but I assume she is residing safely in Wall Rose.

We now find ourselves in a more controlled situation after slaughtering a large sum of titans. We freely roam around midtown to spot any more lingering around and I feel the ground shake beneath my feet when one appears on my left.

"They look more hideous than ever." I groan at their ridiculous faces. At full speed, I mercilessly slice the nape of a titan and when its heavy body tramples down, I land myself on top of a roof to find a titan chasing after Hange as she grapples away, laughing while having the time of her life. It almost looks like they're going on a weird date.

I spot a couple of scouts below me as they are getting a crawling titan's attention and when that happens, they scurry for safety with their gears when the titan leaps forward. I click my tongue at the scene. "Cowards. They do not have the balls to begin with..." That's when I step in by jumping off the roof to grapple onto the titan's exposed nape, then zip down to slice its flesh off.

After landing on the ground, I gaze down in disgust when my hands along with my swords are dirtied with hot, evaporating blood. I then look up to find the two scouts stunned and I give them a glare, my eyes flashing. "What? You two look like your heart dropped to your asshole."

"More like I shit myself, sir." The male scout on the left tells me in all honesty, and the female scout on the right is holding back her laughter.

"How disgusting." I bluntly reply.

"CAPTAIN!" Our minds get interrupted by a sudden voice cry for my help and we look up to find a scout grappling toward us. His face is written in fear and he attempts to catch his breath once he lands in front of us. "More titans are sighted in the area! What should we do!?"

The ground starts shaking violently, assuming a group of titans are heading toward us and my eyes twitch in anger. When will this ever end? There is panic in the air as the scouts ready their swords and I whip my head around to scan the area to find a smiling titan skipping down the street we are on. "Damn, if we don't act now, we're going to be sandwiched between these naked bastards..."

"Quick! It's coming!" The panicking scout screams and right when the titan is about to take another step forward, its nape is suddenly sliced off in a blink of an eye.

"Who was that?" The female scout is shocked like the rest of us and I am the only person who recognizes that spinning movement just now. The figure in a green clock lands on one knee as the titan falls on its back and stands up to wipe off the blood. "Sheesh, what a mess."

That voice. I know that voice. Something I haven't heard in forever and my heart is now racing. It can't be her I think to myself when the figure turns around while removing the hood of the cloak. "Why are you all just standing there? Do I have to do every—"

As soon as my eyes lock with Sina's, her whole face morphs into a smile. I haven't seen her in—shit, how long ago has it been... a year? I can't say I haven't thought about her all this time, because I've thought about her every single day. But I never actually thought I'd see her here in Wall Maria.

"Levi?" Sina's smile lights up the atmosphere and it is something that suddenly makes me feel warm inside. As much as I want to bring her into my arms, we get interrupted once again when more titans show up.

"Let's catch up later! We have trash to take out!" I holler and we all scatter back to work.

With Sina's help, I noticed her physical strength had improved compared to the last time we fought alongside each other. On top of that, she is more nourished and has a healthier complexion; she is no longer frail. My mind is now at ease knowing that she has grown a lot stronger. After wiping out the titans in the area, we relocate to a watchtower and I turn around to find Sina land behind me along with the other scouts. Finding her balance, she glances up to catch me staring at her and stomps forward.

Not what I was expecting in this heartfelt reunion, but there is an intimidating look in her eye and anger in her jaw. As I open my mouth, Sina serves me a kick in the shin without any hesitation and everyone around us drops their jaw in shock. When she notices my unfazed expression, she strikes again by bringing up a foot to aim at the side of my face. Swiftly, I catch her by the ankle without flinching and as we hold our positions, I almost forget how dangerously flexible Sina is.

"Are you a dumb fuck?" I ask her in a harsh tone. "That kick did slightly more damage than a farting insect."

Sina lowers the leg after I release her and lets out a breathy laugh. "I don't remember you being this bratty the last time we spoke." I am taken aback by how she is matching my energy, or my character rather. Is this the result of us being away from each other for so long?

"Don't remember you being this cranky." I fire back, and the scouts around us can feel the heat of our argument. Not sure why this came to be, but I assume it's because she was waiting for me all this time.

"O-Oh! I think I hear someone calling for help! I better go!" One scout finds an excuse to leave and the rest follows, leaving the two of us alone at the tower. The tension loosens up when Sina clears her throat and shyly looks away. Now this is the Sina I remember.

"Do you notice anything different about me?"

I scan her up and down, then notice her beautiful brown hair tied in a ponytail. "Your... hair got longer."

"Really? That's it?" Sina whines, expecting a better response from me and of course, I hate guessing so she finally tells me. "I feel way stronger now that I am a scout again. Aren't you glad I'm here?"

"Tch. I knew you would come back." I cross my arms in stubbornness, holding back how much I missed her. "Why didn't you come back sooner?"

"Sooner? The shortage of food inside the walls was getting worse, so I stepped in to fight against starvation with the Garrisons."

"So you're with the Garrisons now?" I say with sarcasm, feeling a bit betrayed.

"Why? Do you think I'm suitable for it?" She blinks. "Perhaps you don't need my help anymore."

"Oi, watch your mouth." I raise my voice. "If that's your cup of tea, go right ahead. I won't sit here and beg you to stay like a damn child."

"Oh, Levi. You're as sensitive as always." She giggles at my reaction. "I did miss that about you."

"What's gotten into that piece of shit brain of yours? Have you become abnormal?" I say, thinking I do not deserve this treatment right now. She is obviously teasing about joining the Garrisons and whatnot, but joke or not, I want her to stay with me. "Can't believe it took you this long to come see me. I thought I was going to die without ever seeing you again."

"Well, aren't you a crybaby?" Sina sighs at how dramatic I am, then smiles with pride. "Now you understand how I felt when you left me in the Underground District for a year. Perhaps we're even now."

"Hmph." I let out. I am starting to think her sudden confidence is coming from helping humanity inside the walls, which is fulfilling to her. The food shortage indeed worsens due to farmers being forced off the land by titans. As scouts, our attempts to reclaim lost lands have been a pain in the ass.

I can already tell by her colorful demeanor that she is capable of supporting and protecting herself without having to depend on someone else. Now that she has grown and gained confidence, Sina has decided how she wants to live her life. It might not be exciting for her, but this kind of personal growth is a necessary step to pursue contentment.

Now that I have witnessed a bratty side of her, it is like seeing myself in her. Our minds are calloused with time, and perhaps the way she's acting is a way of coping. In her heart, she is still a mourner for those who have not survived. In her soul, she is a soldier for those who are now as she was then. Not only that, but her uniqueness can possibly cast the lives of others in a brighter light.

We get interrupted by a signal flare and the color is yellow, alerting us that the mission is a success and it is time to retreat.

"We ought to return now. I have a sizeable mess to deal with once we get back to Wall Rose." I imply while staring at Sina and she is obviously offended. Rather than defending herself, she softly smiles.

"Let's go back... together."

⚔︎

[Sina's POV]

Once we all return to the Headquarters, my heart can't help but race now that Levi is by my side again. After a few days of well-deserved rest from the expedition, I invite Levi to come join me on this journey toward Abel's very own cabin away from civilization, where it is peaceful.

We travel with a horse as Levi takes the rein and I hug his torso from behind, gently resting my chin on his shoulder. From the Headquarters, Abel lives not too far so it might take an hour by horse to get there. As we follow the dirt path, we spot refugees, including children, working on a grassy field in the distance and we cannot help but watch in pity.

"How are you holding up back there?" Levi asks while looking straight ahead and I nod.

"I'm alright. What about you?" I ask in return and he feels my kindness.

"No need to worry about me." Cold as usual.

When we finally arrive at Abel's cabin, Levi helps me get off the horse by holding my waist and I carefully land on my feet. I then watch Levi scan the whole grassy area with a nod of approval. "This place is not bad. I should consider being neighbors with Abel."

I roll my eyes at him when he continues to explore and I make my way to the door, giving it a couple of knocks. "Abel! It's me, Sina!"

The silence is eerie for some reason, so I knock louder assuming he's taking his afternoon nap. "Hey, wake up sleepyhead!"

I bring my hand back in surprise when the door slightly creaks open after knocking hard enough. Right away, something feels off and I fear to find out myself. I draw a deep breath before pushing the door wide open and calling out again. "Abel?"

Right when I step into the cabin, my eyes search around in the dark and wonder why all the curtains are drawn. I keep walking until I spot something tall in the middle of the room. Thinking it is rude to barge into somebody's home like this, I continue to take a few steps forward and have a closer look until I realize what it is, or rather... who it is.

I suddenly stop breathing when my body paralyzes in a state of shock because Abel is right in front of me. Hanging.

"A-Abel..." I manage to mutter out, but I cannot accept what is in front of my eyes. This brings me back to Viktor all of a sudden and I am reliving that nightmare once again but with Abel. "No... why did you..."

My mind is overwhelmed with questions that cannot be answered since Abel forfeited his life. When I drop to my knees, I blankly stare with tearful eyes to helplessly watch his body dangle, then I slowly realize something at his feet. There is not a single supportive object on the floor below him.

There is something deceiving about this.

"Oi, Sina! Is Abel in there?" I hear Levi call out as he walks to the front entrance, inviting himself into the cabin only to be greeted with horror. "W-What—"

"Levi... help me bring him down." My voice cracks in distraught as he watches me cry for Abel who is hanging from the ceiling. Without questioning, Levi runs over with a pocket knife to cut the noose and I hug Abel's body to catch him, then gently have him rest on the wooden floor.

Levi watches as I remove the rope from Abel's pale neck and it pains us to find another comrade dead so soon. "Shit... why did he—"

"Wait, Levi... look at his neck." I point out to Levi and shockingly, Abel's neck has some bruises on his cold skin. Almost like handprints around his neck.

The picture is slowly coming together now. The door we came through was not closed all the way, there was nothing below his feet, and now we find handprints around his neck. This is not a suicide. It's murder, but who would do this to Abel?

Then I see a fireplace behind Abel and there is something in the pile of white ash that stands out to me. When I walk over for a quick look, I reach my hand into the ashes as they are warm, assuming the fire went out last night or even longer. The burned object is now in my hand and it turns out to be a book. Not a novel, but a historical book. It is difficult to make out what the pages are showing and as I flip through the burned pages, I pause when I find one written in a foreign language along with some sketches. Sketches of foreign sceneries that do not exist within the walls.

My mouth hangs open in shock, wondering how an illegal book ended up here. This is exactly the kind of book the titan cult used to stash away from the government. If this book belonged to Abel, it would likely be the cause of his death since it contains valuable information about the outside. I then recall his strong desire to head out west and finally realize what he meant; what his true intention was. It was to explore the outside world.

"Sina... look at him." Levi gestures to me to come over after I set the book back in the fireplace and walk over to find more bruises on Abel's body when Levi lifts his shirt. The only scenario I can think of is that Abel was strangled and beaten to death by the Military Police.

"This is awful. What kind of sick bastard would do this to Abel?" Levi is also starting to suspect that Abel was murdered.

"I-I don't know..." I flat-out lie for his safety, knowing this is the Military Police's doing. I explain all of my findings around the cabin to Levi, but I dare not to share about the book. If I do, his whole life will be at risk for knowing about the outside world, and will have to face the government once again. "Listen, everything that I told you... it's between us. Only we know that Abel was murdered."

"Yeah..." Levi whispers. "Let's take his body back..."

After some time, Levi finds a blanket to cover up Abel entirely before carrying his body out of the cabin. I follow them out to find a wagon that we can attach to our horse and we lay his body in it. As we venture out, I sit with Abel's head on my lap, finally breaking down crying. I am back to my old self with a fragile heart.

⚔︎

The Next Day

On a gloomy day, Abel was quietly buried in the field next to the Survey Corps Headquarters.

The scouts along with Levi and myself salute with a fist over our hearts after he is buried six feet under. Last night, I was able to find the compass in his pocket when we arrived with his body at the headquarters. I thought the right thing to do was to have it buried with him and to have it point to the west.

When it starts raining, most of the scouts leave the grave beside Levi, Erwin, and myself. Erwin deeply feels sorry knowing that we lost a fellow scout. "I cannot imagine how you're feeling right now, Sina. Abel along with Viktor and Zaiya were very dear to you."

I turn away from Abel's grave to look at Erwin with teary eyes, determining my future on the spot. "I would like to respectfully place my position before them and continue my service."

Erwin is surprised by my decision to continue as a scout after all the things I have gone through, but Levi is struck by it. He doesn't say a word since our commander is standing before us.

"If giving your heart is what you want, then I respectfully accept," Erwin says now that I am fully committed to my goals. I want to seek an end to this terrible government and seek out the truth beyond the walls on behalf of Abel.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

530K 20.9K 123
[COMPLETED] "(Y/N), after everything we've been through, I have become certain of one thing. I love you. Having to stay away from you for so long onl...
790 31 19
[Levi Ackerman x Reader] They were separated by loss and were brought back together by fate. One a wounded girl with a hardened heart; the other a ma...
426K 12.3K 80
SEQUEL IS OUT Fourteen years ago, before the fall of Wall Maria, Levi Ackerman joined the Survey Corps. Possessing the strength equal to a single bri...
8.8K 391 11
As titans declared war on human kind, the borders for the wall grew smaller and smaller as their hope shrunk. The only chance they had left at surviv...