My Life In Pieces (Book #1)

KatherineJones92 द्वारा

This slice of life novel follows fifteen year old Alex Harrison. Alex has just had her world broken into jagg... अधिक

Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Playlist

Chapter 27

15 4 2
KatherineJones92 द्वारा

Dad wasn't home so the house was dark. James started turning on lights as Dylan sat down on the couch with me on his lap.

He looked over my head to James. "Find out where Munro is. He's dead meat if he hurt her."

I shook my head while sobbing. When I tried to talk I just cried harder. He held me closer to him. I heard James mumbling on his cell. After a minute he hung up. "She and Ari got into a fight. Jake said the kid took off running to cool off about five minutes after Lex left."

I heard Dylan's voice softly speak into my ear. "What happened Lexi?"

It all started pouring out.

"It's all so stupid. First Tyler wrote me a love song and got my dad to invite Elyse and Patrick here. With them leaving I started feeling super pissed because I miss them so much. I also have been ignoring Ari and hanging out with Tyler. Elle told me I could invite kids to her party. But I only know the kids from the families. I have just been feeling suffocated and realizing that I have like no friends outside of this friend group because I am a freaking loser just made me feel worse. I started to talk to Ari about it but he just zeroed in on the fact that Patrick was here and basically called us Sweet Home Alabama and I told him to fuck off and ran..."

I was sure that made zero sense to either of them but God it felt good to get it off my chest.

Dylan looked utterly confused and so did James. I was not about to repeat myself though.

Dylan looked over at James, "God you could not pay me to be a sixteen year old girl."

James laughed, "Lex, you know I think Munro is weird and probably crazy. But I know he's fuckin' crazy about you. Now why you are crying over that emo dork is beyond me."

I rolled my eyes but let the dig slide.

"Because I am an idiot."

James smiled, "No you're just doing through some shit. Hell, I am shocked it took this long for you to have a break down. You've been acting like life is just perfect for the last few months. If I was in your shoes I would be lighting shit on fire and punching walls."

That made me smile. At least he understood how I felt inside. "Yeah well, I actually like it here because of you dorks. So that helps."

Dylan rubbed my shoulders. "And what the fuck did you mean by Sweet Home Alabama? You're from Texas."

I was hoping they hadn't latched on to that part. I saw James' eyes grow into saucers.

He finally spoke, "Alex, you didn't like... fuck your brother did you?"

Dylan made a gagging noise.

I shook my head no. "Oh God you just made it sound so much nastier than what it was."

Dylan piped in, "Than what it was?! What to you mean, Lex? Alex, did Patrick and you?" He didn't finish his sentence. He just kept making gagging noises.

I kept shaking my head no. "No! We didn't." I was slow to continue but I felt like they needed a fuller picture. "Just, after our parents were divorced, when we were no longer siblings whatsoever legally, we started hanging out. We were hanging out a lot this summer and kinda... fooled around a bit."

Oh God it did sound like Sweet Home Alabama.

Now all three of us were gagging.

James shuddered, "No wonder Munro didn't like having him around. God. New ick unlocked. Fuck."

"You guys can't tell anyone." I pleaded, praying I could trust them. They hadn't given me a reason not to.

They both nodded, and Dylan said, "Taking that one to my grave. But for real though Lex, give Ari a break. He's already a socially awkward fuck. You add in that bit of information and having Patrick hanging around this week and Tyler and you partnered on this project so that he's forced to know you two are hanging out; I'd snap too."

James added, "You both might need a break and to reset. I think some space might help too."

I nodded in agreement. I assured them that I would be alright and let them get back to their run. I knew if I stayed up I would just be waiting for a text that wouldn't come. Sleep wasn't going to come easy but it was better than staring at my screen so I put my phone on the charger and lay in bed staring at the ceiling until I finally passed out.

By morning Ari still had not contacted me. I felt like a mess. I got ready for school in a daze worrying about what the day was going to be like. There was a knock at the front door right on time. I hurried to answer, expecting Ari. Instead I saw Laura. "Hey do you need a ride?"

I nodded solemnly. I got in Dylan's truck and tried not to cry. We got the school and I was about ready to just go home. Dylan waved his hand in front of my face. "Look who is standing in my spot."

Ari was standing in the middle of where Dylan usually parked. I got out of the truck and walked over to him.

He was biting his lip; he was nervous.

I moved him out of the parking spot and off to the side so we could talk.

"Alex I'm sorry about last night. I shouldn't have gone off on you like that."

I nodded. "I'm sorry too."

An awkward pause hung in the air.

"Can I walk you to class?"

I nodded and we headed inside and he dropped me off at my first class. I turned to face him. Not sure if I should hug him or just go inside.

He rubbed the back of his head like he was thinking the same thing. "Can we talk more about this at lunch?"

I nodded, "Sounds like a plan." I turned and walked into class.

Miri was already there but Danny was nowhere to be seen yet. I walked over to her wanting to talk before class started.

"Hey Miri can I ask you something?"

"Sure Alex what's up?"

I sat down and she did too. "It is kind of a weird subject, but it is about Ari."

She nodded almost seeming to know what I was about to ask. "What did he do now?"

"We got into it. I don't really want to go into details but it got ugly."

"Sounds like Ari."

"Really?"

"Ari is a complicated dude. On one hand, he is very loyal, values quality time and privacy. He can come off really shy and quiet. But on the other hand, he has a temper that once it boils over, there's no stopping it. His mom was the same way and I think it terrifies him."

"What about his mom?"

"She would go into these deep depressions apparently. Like I mean shut herself off from the whole world. Then other times she would get really aggressively mad. It's what led to his parents splitting up and then when she died, it just got worse for Ari. I think he worries he will wind up like her."

"I know his mom died but he hasn't told me how yet."

Miri seemed to now be looking for a way out. "I really think he needs to be the one to tell you that story."

I nodded. "No I get it." I tried to change the subject. "So are you ready for Elle's party in a couple of weeks?"

"Yep. For once a party with all the kids in school. I heard we get to invite people."

"Yeah, five people each."

"Do you have your invite list made yet?"

"No idea."

"Well if you need help filling the spots let me know."

When gym came around I felt a twinge in my gut. I wasn't sure who to hang out with. I knew I would see Ari at lunch so it made me want to run with Jensen. Luckily, she spotted me as I was entering the track and came over.

We started our laps in silence at first.

She finally asked, "So did you talk with Ari about what we were talking about yesterday?"

I started to laugh because yesterday felt like a life time ago. I filled her in on the situation. She just listened as we ran. I left out the part about Sweet Home Alabama.

When I was done she said, "Fuck, that got heated quick. Sounds like you two need to hash it out."

"I think we are during lunch."

The end of the period came far too quickly for my taste. I wasn't even hungry at this point. I saw Ari waiting for me as I exited the girls locker room. I followed him in silence as he walked past the lunch room and into the school's courtyard. There were a couple of tables there but it was chilly enough that no one else bothered to eat here.

Ari reached into his bag and pulled out a couple of sandwiches and bags of chips.

So he had planned this, huh?

We sat in silence eating at first. I don't think either of us wanted to go first.

He finally looked up at me, "I am a jealous prick. I cut deep when my pride is wounded. I try to be supportive but fuck I get so pissed when other guys make a play for you."

"I wouldn't ever cheat on you."

"I know. But you might realize that I'm a piece of shit boyfriend and that you deserve better."

"You're my first real boyfriend, Ari. I don't know how to navigate all this. I just know that I'm in pain. I was hurting so much this summer I did things I regret with Patrick. It literally makes my skin crawl thinking about it now. I've never really seen him as my stepbrother and now I don't know if he's considered my like double ex. That makes me want to vomit. But I sill miss him, and Jordan, and Elyse."

"It's okay to feel that way."

"And I'm mad. Like seething. Any time I think about the fact I have to be away from home, from them, while the families just get to be one happy family. But we're not, are we? It feels like ever since I've gotten here, I'm the cause for Tyler's life being a wreck and you being a jealous prick. I don't want to be the reason for all that."

"Baby, it's not you. You might be the shiny new toy that's come along but we were all just as fucked up before you got here. Tyler and I haven't liked each other for years. Brenna's been an attention whore since I have known her. I hate to tell you, but you don't have the power to suddenly make us all nuts. That ship sailed years ago."

That made me smile. I looked up at Ari and asked, "So are we good?"

He came over to sit next to me, leaned down, and kissed me softly, "Yeah, we're good, Gorgeous."

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

303 58 10
This is a slice-of-life story about friendship, romance, love and everything else. This is a work of fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or...
Not A Lovestory Oindrila Sanyal द्वारा

किशोर उपन्यास

2.3K 513 29
Highest ranking: #128 in Teen Fiction. Best Cover Award by Fight to Survive Awards. Life was easy for Olivia till her mother decided to go on a road...
107K 7.2K 30
(This Book Is A Sequel and contains major spoilers from the first book- Stop! Right now! Don't even read the synopsis! Please read Book-1 before this...
389 170 26
The second novel in the Pieces series is another Slice of Life look into the life of Alex Harrison. Alex thought her life was coming together. After...