NOSTALGIA ? - S2Brakey...

By iansrecess

๐ŸŒŠ . . obsessive jakey ( river ) x bryan @ not toxic . . i think... More

LOG
LOVE ) I
DEVOTED ) II
BEMUSED ) III
OPPOSING
AVE
FOND
DECEIVER
RIVETING

CAUGHT IN THE ACT

61 13 0
By iansrecess

/ SIX MONTHS LATER .

Present Day.

So in just SIX MONTHS, I successfully integrated into the camp. Became a counselor, started the Asian section of the camp.

The area looks too JAPANESE for my liking.. but, that's because most of the invitations I sent to the potential Asian pantheons to join the camp are Japanese.

Which is honestly, for the best.

But yeah, life has been great since I took that leap of faith.

I honestly can't imagine what I'd be doing.. if I never took that JUMP..

"Xiao Qing." I turned to my BLUE DRAGON, though he didn't respond.

"Xiao Qing." I repeated. Hoping he'd respond this time.

No answer.

I smacked my lips. "Lu."

This time, he looked at me.

"How do I look?" I questioned. "Do I look okay?"

I probably look insane talking to a literal dragon..

Xiao Qing gave me a small roar which made me smile, which means he agrees. "Great! Let's go for a walk then..."

Studying the Son of APHRODITE is quite hard.

   It's worth it though..

I hummed as I walked along the pathway, singing an old tune while carrying some MEE SUA in my hands.

I love cooking honestly.

I continued to hum, looking down at the grass and flowers.

I started to walk along the bridge, before letting out a small gasp,

It's Kayla.

But she wasn't paying attention and she hadn't seen or heard me.

I gave one of my sly smirks. "Hey girl!" I said which made her flinch.

She let out a worried/startled shout and dropped a huge book in front of me.

I raised an eyebrow, "You okay?"

"Oh! River..—" she sighed before giving me a tiny laugh. She looked nervous.

"—Yeah you just.. startled me a bit." Kayla told me then adding a "Hey!"

I kneeled down to grab the book that was near my feet. "..Okay well, you dropped— oh."

I grabbed it with my free hand since the other one carried the MEE SUA and held it closer to my face.

The title of the book read: BOOK OF ASCLEPIUS.

I gave a quiet huff before standing up steadily. "I see you've been.." I paused.

"Studying."

She nodded. "Yeah, just- uh a bit! Um." She scratched her chin as she grabbed the book from my hand.

"Probably think I'm crazy for trying to figure out where he is, right?" Kayla mumbled.

I shook my head. "No, not at all! Y'know, you can do whatever you want." I reassured. "I will support everything you do! You know this."

I gave her a sincere smile, she returned the favor.

"Of course." She said.

I placed my free hand on my hip. "We're literally best friends" I reminded the brunette which made her face go soft. She appreciates it.

"Yeah of course." She said— but giving a small sad sigh afterwards.

I let my free hand drop to my side, I felt my face fall to concern. "Just make sure you get some.. y'know?"

Her face shows confusion.

"Rest. Get some rest."

Her face immediately perked. "Right, of course."

"Maybe we should have a drink night or something." I suggested.

Kayla gasped dramatically. "That would be honestly GREAT." She groaned. "At least when all the campers are moved in, and everything, y'know."

"Yes, yes. I'm definitely waiting for— uh, any of the Asian pantheons to show up." I ran a hand through my hair. "Mostly Japanese. And other Asian pantheons that I invited."

Kayla was listening but she was also staring past me. Her face was scrunched and she seemed really focused.

"..Yeah." She said slowly. "Do you see something over there?" She asked me while moving closer.

I raised an eyebrow as I turned my head in the same direction she looked at.

"Uhh.." I squinted. "Where?"

"Oh, it's gone." She let out a chuckle.

I turned to look at her again with a concerned expression. Maybe she's seeing things due to the lack of rest.

Kayla shook her head to steady herself. "it must've just been my eyes.." She put back her same old smile.

She turned to me — "So-"

"-Where were you headed?" Questioning me. I immediately felt my body tense but I played it off.

Not where you think I'm heading..

"Oh I was just uhm.." I trailed off. Trying to think of a lie but I was fumbling so hard.

Maybe she'll think it's due to my lack of English.

"I have some food.." I showed her the bowl. Though it didn't seem to lack her curiosity.

"Oh? Who's that for?" Kayla questioned.

Annoying.

"They're for the new campers! Uhm." I told her. Hoping she'd buy my lie.

"I'm hoping to at least meet them.. so I'm greeting them with food!" I said. But I regretfully added a "Yes, that's where I was going."

She nodded though she looked unconvinced. Before she perked up.

Was it that easy to tell..?

Nope, nope, nope, nope.

"Wait- wait. You're not going to go see... you know who, right?" Kayla questioned, squinting at me.

I don't know, you tell me.

I pursed my lip and raised my eyebrow. "Who?"

She looked bored.

"Bryan." Kayla said, blankly staring at me. "The son of APHRODITE."

I bit my lip and stared her in the eyes.

Give me a BREAK.

"Him?" I tried to pretend I was confused again.

"River."

"I- uhm." I fumbled with my words. "I don't know him.. that well." I stated.

"And I didn't see him.. yesterday." I mumbled as I smacked my lips.

And that's the truth.

Kayla stared at me like I was stupid. "River.." She said unbelievably.

She let out a sigh before I started to distract her.

"So- you're— you're studying? Right?" Which actually worked. Her aura immediately changed and she smiled.

"Oh! Yeah!" Chuckled and held the book out. "The BOOK OF ASCLEPIUS." She looked down at the object.

I nodded quickly. "Yes, mhm."

"Um, I-" Kayla cut herself off to sigh before continuing. "I haven't honestly discovered anything. Much more than what I—" she cut herself off once again. She started to look of in the distance like she did a few minutes ago.

She closed her eyes. "Sorry.. uhm."

I turned my head too, but I was confused. I wasn't seeing what she was seeing. "Was that..." I started. All I saw was a white furry animal hopping around which made me even more confused. "There's a bunny?" I looked at her again.

She shook her head and opened her eyes. She looked lost. "No, it wasn't that..."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Are you sure you're okay?" I said as I stepped closer to her to look her in the eyes.

"Yeah I'm- I'm fine!" She quickly brushed off my concerned comment. "As I was saying; I haven't discovered  more than.. basically what I already know." She told me.

Kayla let out a deep breath and her shoulders slumped. "But.. y'know, he's gotta be out there somewhere. Right?" She me gave a low laugh.

To encourage her, I nodded to agree. "Yeah! I mean, obviously." I told her. "Y'know, like.. I.. if you believe that he is, than he is." I said with a small smile.

"Well— I-I know he is." She said. "I mean he was killed by.. ZEUS. But he was brought back. I just don't know... where he went." She muttered.

"And it's not Olympus but.. I just..." She trailed off. "I don't know." She mumbled.

I immediately felt sorrow rush through my body. "Are you sure you're fine..?" I mumbled to her.

She blinked before saying; "Anyways, back on you!"

Oh boy.

"What about me?" I said with a nervous smirk. Guess distracting her didn't work.

She laughed sarcastically. "Don't go playing tricks on me again River." Kayla smiled. "I know how you work!"

"I'm not doing any mind tricks!— I'm not a crazy person—.." I trailed off. "I don't do those..."

"Right." She said crossing her arms.

Kayla raised an eyebrow. "Okay well in that case, then where are you headed?"

I felt my body tense up again. I started to stutter, no actual sentences coming out.

I finally decided to give it, there was no point in lying if I suck at it.

"S— Sure. I am going to see Bryan." I told her, angry at myself for admitting it and at her for pushing to subject.

"As a friend!" I added. Though she didn't care, her face scrunched up and she looked upset.

"Ugh, River." She groaned.

She's disappointed..

"That man— he's.." I tried to gather my words to explain it best to her. "He's alone. He lives by himself—"

"—And he deserves to be alone!" She cut me off, her arms out in disbelief.

Oh.

"I don't know for sure, but he did something- not only to me. But his ex boyfriend!" She explained. "So I just.."

I shook my head. "That must've been.. an accident!" I tried to convince her. "I heard he stabbed him, or whatever." I mumbled ignoring it. I don't really care.

"But y'know, his ex boyfriend probably WALKED in front of the sword.." I have a nervous smile. Worse lie ever.

She sighed. "And I assume you're going to say the same about me, right?" She questioned. "I walked in front of his sword?"

"..No." I said quietly. "I just say that: y'know, people change." I tried to convince her. "And... he's just trying to be better!" I told her.

Kayla looked unconvinced. "Right."

"And I just—" I went quiet for a moment. "As a counselor here!" I started up again. "he's one of the past.. kind of camp members." I stated.

"He's the son of APHRODITE after all. We should be an inclusive community. And I just want to.. be nice and kind." I said, hoping she'd get it and let me leave. "Just— as a friend."

Kayla turned her head. "No, I get that.." she slowly said. She looked like she wasn't listening anymore though. Her face changed, she looked like she was uncomfortable.

I stared at her. What is she seeing?

"What are you seeing, actually?" I questioned. She just kept staring off to the distance. "You seem—"

"Uh.." She pursed her lips. "Do you ever get that feeling like.." Kayla trailed off.

Being judged by your best friend?

"I don't know," Kayla eyes were moving everywhere. "You're— you're being.. watched?" She stared at me with worried eyes. She was beginning to rub her arm.

I bit my lower lip. "Um..." I started. "Actually, uh.." I was at a lost for words. She was starting to make me worry, just a little bit. "I wish I could say.."

I started to stutter. "No.. not really." I told her, before thinking about my past experiences. "At least not recently." I added.

Kayla still had a worried expression on her face.

"But— uh, yeah! I can see.." i stammered. "Um.. you've been doing a lot of studying and reading all those things." I reminded her.

"It messed with your head a little bit." I gave her a smile.

"I think.. what you need is a little rest." I told her, actually feeling concerned.

"Like what I said, we should totally..."

I tried my best to comfort her.

"Y'know what? I'm gonna go grab some of the drinks, Later." I looked at her, she looked at ease now.

"And we should have one of those drink nights again." She gave me a nod.

I closed my eyes to think of more ideas, opening them a few seconds later. "I'll get my book, so we can talk about your feelings." I said so she can get the memo.

She laughed softly. "Yeah.."

"Think about other things!" I don't want her to stress herself about these things. "I know you wanna find your father and whatever. But— y'know, you can't force it to happen." I reminded her.

"It takes time."

She looked at me remorsefully, appreciating my efforts. Good.

"And— you need to make sure you're fine.. and you don't go crazy." I averted my eyes to look at the ground.

Kayla nodded slowly. "Right." A deep sigh seeping out.

I looked back up. "And I'm here to help! if anything.." I reminded her.

She frowned. It was a sad one. "Y-yeah I know."

I slowly nodded. "And I'll do anything for you."

"I always appreciate that, River." Kayla looked away and shook her head. "I don't know what's going on with me. I just—" though she gave one of her signature smiles.

She still looked sad.

I used my left hand to let go of the bowl that was filled with thin noodles.

"Listen to me, why don't you go and find a place to take a seat." I suggested to her. "Or just drink some tea or coffee... or something."

"Yeah, maybe." She agreed. "I just don't have—"

"Not tomb juice." I immediately said.

She started to laugh. "No," she looked down. "I do still have some cabins to get ready but I- I suppose I could wait." She told me. "For a little while."

"I think I need to have a lay down, or something." Kayla mumbled. "Somethings going on..."

I nodded. "You can recharge, and then when I'm back we could hang out and everything."

She smiled fondly. "Perfect." She looked comfortable.

"Yeah, just get some rest now." I suggested. She closed her eyes and sighed deeply.

"Okay." Kayla nodded.

"Okay, and I'm gonna go.. do things!"

We both started to head towards the house pathway.

"Okay, but.." She started "River." She looked at me, and I returned the favor. "Just promise me you'll try and stay away from him..."

Kayla looked unsettled talking about this topic. "I know you like him or whatever, but he's bad news.. okay?"

Oh.

"We'll get you back on those apps and find you a good guy!" Kayla suggested. I cringed at the thought of that.

"Not those apps.. ever." I groaned and she laughed. "I'm just going to be a friend." I reminded her. "A friend, alright?"

She looked unconvinced. "Yeah.. sure." She mumbled the last part.

I stared to walk up the pathway. "Well, get some rest. Don't think about the things you're stressed about."

She nodded. "Yeah, I won't."

I nodded as well. "Well, I will see you later." I continued to walk up the path. She waved.

"Yeah, I'll see you." She smiled.

"Alright, bye!" I gave her a quick wave and immediately started to walk up each stairway.

I heard her sigh.

You need my help.. and I will help you.

Just not now.

Cause I have something way more important to get to first.

I'll come back for you later, Kay?

/ END OF CAUGHT IN THE ACT .

Act. — OVER )2

🌊

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

248K 7.4K 59
I could say this is one clichรฉ story. A college girl died and transmigrated into an otome game she once played. Unfortunately she becomes the villain...
75.4K 1.9K 69
"mom, dad, Im married!" lahat ng relatives namin ay nagulat sa announcment ko. Sino ba naman kasi ang mag aakala na ang unica ija ng pamilyang Letpr...
265K 10.3K 32
""SIT THERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A GOOD GIRL"" YOU,DIRTY,DIRTY GIRL ,I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒš
51K 794 12
This story is based on village story with lots of smut...