New Horizon [Morganville]

By pastaqueen

The Morganville Vampires fanfiction. New Horizon fanfic series book one out of three. Completed. Morganvill... More

A Note From The Author
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-Seven

1.3K 26 9
By pastaqueen

“What did you two lovely women do today?” Michael called out as he opened the front door. Claire and Eve sat silently on the couch, waiting for him to walk down to them.

“Stop flirting,” Shane said, and Claire and Eve shared surprised glances. It wasn’t common that Shane and Michael came home at the same time. “It’s not cool.”

“Bite me.”

“Bite yourself. I’m not into that type of stuff.”

Eve groaned and slumped back into the couch, ruining her sophisticated look. “That’s your man,” Eve pointed out.

“I know.”

“He’s an idiot.”

Claire sighed, “I know that too.”

“Since you had the whole day,” Michael continued, and soon Claire and Eve could hear both boys walking down the hall. “Maybe you made dinner?”

“Coming from the guy that drinks blood,” Shane smirked and rounded the corner. He went to open his mouth to speak again, but he took one glimpse at Eve and Claire on the couch and stopped dead in his tracks. Michael was behind him, and he collided into him sending Shane stumbling a few steps forwards. Michael grabbed Shane’s shoulders, steadied him and moved him to the side. His eyes moved from Shane to the couch, and he too froze.

“What’s going on?” Shane said slowly as he started walking again. Michael stayed where he was near his armchair and looked between Claire and Eve as if he had never been more confused in his life.

Claire cleared her throat and pushed herself off the couch. “This is a friend intervention,” Claire’s voice wasn’t as strong as she hoped it would be, and it didn’t help when both Shane and Michael groaned.

“What’s the convention about?” Michael said as he sunk into his armchair. Everyone knew the answer before it left Claire’s lips.

“House arrest. I want to be able to leave this house.”

“This is what you were doing all day?” Shane asked as he yawned and settled down on the floor, leaning against the couch. He looked at Eve. “Making a plan to get Claire out of the house?”

“If you can’t see with your own eyes,” Eve raised her eyebrow. “I’m not defending her. I am completely up for house arrest.”

“Well I’m not,” Claire exclaimed. “I’m not the defenceless and naïve girl I was when I first moved into Morganville. You’ve let me take on vampires, and you let me work with Myrnin even when he was insane.”

“Insane-er than insane,” Eve added.

“Correct me if I’m wrong,” Shane said and stuck his legs out. “But Eve just took Claire’s side on this. She’s a traitor, and I say she needs to be prosecuted.”

“Shut up Sherlock Homo,” Eve spat.

“Off the topic,” Claire interrupted.

“Okay, I can see that you make good points…” Eve sighed.

“But you lied to us all about Myrnin,” Shane finished and grinned at Claire. She sneered at him and stuck her tounge out.

“Michael knew,” Claire said and everyone looked to Michael. “And he still let me go work for him.”

“Not without me or Sam there,” Michael protested.

“Does it make a difference?” Claire asked, exasperated.

“We’re trying to protect you,” Michael sighed.

“I don’t need to be protected,” Claire exclaimed. “I’m eighteen now! Don’t you think that I can protect myself? Or am I too fragile and innocent to even leave this house?”

“Definitely not innocent,” Shane murmured under his breath.

“Shut up Shane,” Claire growled, and that got her a few shocked looks.

“It’s not that we don’t think you can’t handle it,” Michael reasoned. “We just don’t know anything about Dylan. We don’t know who he is, or what he looks like.”

“I do,” Claire said. “Shane does,” She paused and looked at Eve. “So does Eve.”

“Say what?” Eve asked and shot up like a deer in the headlights. Claire smiled evilly. Busted.

“Shane’s seen him at TPU, and Eve’s seen him while she was working at Common Grounds,” Eve glared at her, but she sunk back in her seat, glad that Claire hadn’t blurted out that she’d let her out this morning. “You’ve probably would have seen him around too. You just don’t know who he is.”

“Which proves my point,” Michael said. “I don’t know him.”

“But they do! I know him too! You’re not my dad, Michael.”

“No, I’m your landlord, and being your landlord means that if I think that you’re doing something that can harm yourself or anyone else in this house, I will have to kick you out.”

That was followed by a few, awkward and very long moments of silence. Eve whistled, but Shane wasn’t too impressed. “You’re not kicking her out, Mickey?” Shane made it seem like he was reassuring him, but they all knew that Shane was declaring it.

“You’re really going with the kicking me out threats again?” Claire asked.

“Again?” Eve piped in and looked at Michael with a confused look. “You’ve had this conversation before?”

“Ages ago,” Claire said and raised her eyebrows at Michael. “According to Michael, I had caused too much trouble to everyone in this house and was putting them all in danger. And now I’m too weak to fight my own battles.”

Michael stood up so fast even Shane flinched. “You’re not helping,” He said. “All I’ve ever done since you walked through that front door was to try and protect you, Claire.”

“Maybe I don’t want you to protect me!” She yelled and shot up from the couch. Eve’s eyes widened and she looked down at Shane.

“Shit’s getting real,” Eve breathed, but everyone ignored it.

“I don’t want to stay in this house!”

“Fine. We negotiate. Give it another week until I sort this whole Dylan thing out.”

“No. I want out, and I want out now.”

“I don’t care what you want, Claire!” Michael yelled at her and the house grew colder. Claire could sense Shane moving behind her, no doubt ready to pounce into a fight if he got the chance.

“There you go again,” Claire shook her head. “Thinking you’re better than everyone.”

“I don’t think that.”

“Yes you do! You’re a vampire Michael. No matter how many times you deny it, each day you’re becoming more like them. You think that you can treat us like we’re beneath you. And that’s the real reason I’m staying in this house, isn’t it? Because I’m valuable, and you know that Amelie would do the exact same thing.”

“Don’t compare me to Amelie,” Michael growled.

“I don’t need to. I already got my point across.”

Michael took a few steps forward, and his eyes flashed red. Shane tensed behind her, and he started to move forward, but Claire deliberately stepped in front of him. “You’re not going,” Michael said.

“Try and stop me.”

“Stop it!” Eve yelled. “This is making everything worse.” Michael’s head turned to Eve, and he looked at her blankly. Her eyes were hot with tears, and her eyeliner had just started to smudge. 

“I’m out of here,” Claire said as she stormed out of the lounge room.

“Claire!” Shane called and jogged after her. He grabbed her arm, and she spun around. “What are you doing?”

“I can’t stay in this house anymore, Shane. It’s driving me crazy, he’s driving me crazy.”

“If I didn’t know any better I would have thought that you and Michael were the couple,” Shane tried for a week smile. “Don’t go, please.”

She heard yelling from the lounge room, and Claire sighed. “Get them sorted out first.”

“You’ll leave though,” Shane gave her a lopsided smile. “I’m not that stupid.”

“Do you trust me?”

He sighed, “Don’t ask me that.”

“Do you? Shane, do you trust me?”

“Yes.”

“Then get them sorted out. They need you more than I need you.”

Shane watched her for a few seconds, tapping his foot on the floor. He sighed loudly turned and started down the hall. “I should be paid for this,” Claire heard Shane say. “Shrink Shane. Couple’s therapist. Don’t leave, I’ll be right back!”

Claire didn’t answer; she’d already left.

* * *

Claire realized that leaving the house was a bad idea when people with slightly glowing eyes and pale skin watched her as she passed them on the sidewalk. Smart Claire, a voice whispered fiercely in her head. Real smart. Why not hang an eat me; I’m delicious sign over your head? It was typical that the only time she hadn’t taken her bag filled to the top with anti-vamp weapons would be the only night that she would need it. She could turn back, but that would mean walking in the dark for another fifteen or twenty minutes. She patted her jeans pockets, but she’d forgotten her phone. She gritted her teeth in frustration and looked over her shoulder. Morganville looked dark and foggy, and it reminded her a lot of the Silent Hill game Claire had watched Shane play on the Play Station once.  Images of monsters flooded into her head and a shiver of cold fear ran up her spine. Of course Claire would make things worse by thinking of things like that.

As if being stalked by bloodthirsty vampires weren’t worse enough.

Claire picked up her pace. Street lamps actually worked around this part of town, and after examining her surroundings for a few minutes, she knew where she was. Claire looked to her left, and she could barley see lights in the distance. She was a few streets across from Common Grounds, and if she kept walking forwards she would eventually end up at TPU.

She would spend the night there… Claire shook the thought out of her head. She would call home and beg that Michael or Shane come pick her up.

She’d been a little too melodramatic back at the Glass House, and she owed Michael an apology. But that could wait until later.

She heard footsteps hit the pavement behind her, and her head shrunk into her shoulders. She wanted to look back, but she knew that was a mistake.

Don’t look back, Shane had told her when she first arrived into Morganville. It’s so tempting to turn back for one quick glance, but that’s what the vamps want. They’ll play a game with you, and when you turn, you’re dead.

Claire shivered; and it wasn’t because of the cold air around her.

She picked up her pace, and she barely stopped herself from breaking out into a flat-out sprint screaming bloody murder. Even if she did decide to do that, it’s not like that would have saved her. She was in Morganville after all, and no matter what Amelie did to try and change things, it was always going to be the same.

Another few pairs of footsteps were behind her, and Claire’s heart jumped in her chest. She heard whispering, and a few snickers, but other than that, whoever was behind her didn’t say a word. One word though, slapped Claire in the back of the head like a mallet.

“Claire Danvers,” A girl whispered, and Claire’s pace slowed. “I heard she went totally bonkers a month back or something. She dumped Collins too.”

“No way,” Another girl giggled. “He is so hot. She probably realized how much of a pathetic little girl she was compared to him.”

This time, Claire did look over her shoulder. It wasn’t vampires that were following her; instead it was three giggly and drunk girls. They looked a little older than Claire, and they were all most likely in TPU. They all shut their mouths as they came to a stop. Claire smiled and turned to face them.

“Don’t let me be the reason to stop talking,” She gestured for them to keep on talking. “Go on.”

“You’re such a freak,” One of the girls spat after a few moments of hesitation. “No wonder why…” She stopped and looked to her friends for support.

“Oh my God Jamie,” The tallest girl said. “You are even stupider than your brother.”

“Shut up Brittany. You’re stupider than Mr Klein,” Jamie shot back.

The last girl sighed and rolled her eyes. She glared at Claire and pulled a face. “What are you looking at, bitch?” She spat.

“Something sad, pathetic and washed up,” Claire replied as she folded her arms. If she was going to take out her anger on someone, why not take it out on a couple of bitches that deserved it? Michael surely didn’t deserve any of what Claire had said to him; well, most of it anyway.

“What did you just call her?” Jamie asked.

“There isn’t no bitch in this town that calls Michelle washed up,” Brittany added as she circled Claire.

“Who do you think you are?” Claire asked. “Monica Morrel? Because even to achieve getting to Monica’s level, you have a long way to climb.”

“You little bitch!” Michelle shrieked. “I’m going to scratch out your eyes and feed them to my cats!” Before Claire could even take a step back, Michelle was already lunging for her, hands outstretched reaching for her hair. Claire swore mentally in her head and she took a small step back, but she ran into Brittany.

“Don’t mess with us,” Brittany yanked on Claire’s hair, and she barely stopped herself from falling back. Claire gripped onto her hair, and swung her left arm back, elbowing Brittany in the face. She heard a crunch, and Brittany screamed and moved back.

“Bitch!” Michelle shouted and her nails scratched against her neck, but her body snapped back.

She screamed, and it took Claire a whole thirty seconds to realize what was happening. Jamie and Brittany had taken off; unlike Claire they knew exactly what was going on. Blood dripped from Michelle’s neck, and Claire finally reacted.

“Stop!” Claire exclaimed. The vampire’s face was hidden by the shadows, and she didn’t know who she was dealing with. She had a sick and sudden thought of Myrnin walking out of the shadows with Michelle’s limp body in his hand.

It wasn’t Myrnin.

“I was helping you, Claire?” He said.

“You can’t just go eating people when they insult someone!” Claire exclaimed.

“Why not?” Jason Rosser grinned and licked the blood from his lips. “I’m a vampire now, I have all this power.”

“Let her go,” Claire demanded.

Jason stared at her for a couple of seconds, before he shrugged and turned Michelle so he faced her.

“Claire’s right. You’re trash compared to Monica Morrel, so back down and learn your place. And leave Claire alone while you’re at it too.”

Jason released her and pushed her away, and both Claire and Jason watched as she ran off and disappeared into the darkness.  “Nice touch,” Claire said wearily. “Loved the whole learn your place part.”

“I was waiting forever to say that,” He grinned. Claire had to admit, Jason looked a million times better as a vampire than he did human. Instead of his grubby clothes he wore faded blue jeans, a black shirt with a leather jacket and his greasy mop on the top of his head had been washed to reveal almost glamorous black hair. “How’re you?”

Claire shrugged and sighed. “I’m running through the streets of Morganville at night. How do you think I am?”

“Still crazy,” Jason winked. “Need an escort home?”

Claire looked over his shoulder. TPU was still pretty far away, and Jason would be much safer to be around. How ironic was that? Feeling safe with Jason Rosser.

“An escort home would be great, actually.”

* * *

“Knock knock,” Jason called through the closed door as he hit his booted foot against the wood. “Who ordered take-away?”

“Shut up,” Claire rolled her eyes and folded her arms defensively over her chest. Jason glanced down at her before knocking on the door again.

“I don’t think that anyone’s home,” Jason shrugged and smiled as he looked down at Claire. “Do you think that they decided to dine in?”

“You’re not funny,” She narrowed her eyes at him.

“Girls,” Jason breathed and moved to look through the window. “So weird.” He tapped on the glass, but there was still no reply.

“Did you try turning the door knob?” Claire asked and tried to move in front of him. He softly pushed her to the side.

“I’m not an idiot,” Jason said and tried to twist the knob again. It turned, but the door was dead-bolted from the inside. “See? I know what I’m doing.”

“Fine,” Claire sighed and backed away. She turned and skipped down the wooden steps.

“Where do you think you’re going trouble?” Jason called after her, and he was at her side in seconds. “On another suicide mission?”

Claire rolled her eyes and ducked under a branch as she made her way towards the back of the house. The grass crunched underneath her shoes, and she could hear Jason following her.

The fly-screen door was locked, and when she peered in, she could hear the television on in the background. “They’re home,” Claire said. “Even during a crisis, Michael would never leave the television on. Besides, they would have closed the door instead of locking the fly-screen.”

“Open the door!” Jason yelled and Claire jumped. He was leaning over her, and she felt trapped between him and the door.

“Do you mind?” She yelped and ducked out from under him. “Since when did you become so tall?”

“You’ve just shrunk,” Jason grinned, and she saw his fangs fold into his gums.

“You’re loving this, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, but I could really use a drink. Mind?”

“Don’t even joke about that,” Claire rolled her eyes and sat down against the wall. Jason took a few steps back and leant against the post. “Why are you still here?”

“Ouch,” Jason looked to the floor for a few seconds, and then his moved back up to watch Claire. “I just saved your life. That’s how you thank me?”

“Sorry,” She sighed.

“Bad day?” Jason asked and he finally slumped down.

“Bad week,” Claire scratched her arm and looked across at him. He gestured for her to go on. “I’m under house arrest.”

“Whoa,” Jason laughed. “How’d you land that?”

“Apparently a potential creepy-ass rapist is stalking me. Well, that’s according to Eve anyway.”

“Not what I was expecting,” Jason stretched out his legs and sighed. “Think that I’ve heard about that though. The guy’s name Dylan?”

“Yeah,” Claire started slowly. “How do you know him?”

“I don’t. When you’re a vamp, gossip comes to you.”

“Liar.”

“Yeah. I have my circles and groups. That’s all you need to know little girl.”

“Who you calling little girl? I’m older than you.”

Jason shrugged, “Who cares? Age is just a number,” He growled, irritated. “What the hell is taking them so long?”

“You look good,” The words left Claire’s lips as soon as she thought of them. “I mean, you look like you’re happy. Before you didn’t look so happy.”

“Because I wasn’t,” He said, and Claire looked up at him. He shrugged and avoided her eyes. “I’m not having a heart-to-heart with you, Claire. I don’t like you that much.” Claire rolled her eyes and smiled a little.

“Bite me.”

The back door slammed open, and Claire yelped as she scooted away from the door. Jason was up within seconds already backing up a few steps to get a better view. “What are you doing here?” Shane demanded as he glared at Jason, not taking a step outside the house.

“He was helping me,” Claire said hurriedly and pushed herself off the ground. Shane obviously hadn’t realized that she was there, because he sighed in relief when he saw her.

“Thank God you’re okay,” He said pulling her into a hug. “Do that again, and I will kick your ass.”

“You’ll have to get in line,” Jason said. “Apparently there are a few people out for Claire’s ass.”

Shane looked over Claire’s shoulder and stared at Jason. He finally sighed and closed his eyes for a brief few seconds. He pulled away from the hug and stuffed his hands in his jeans pocket.

“Thanks man,” Shane said, and Claire smiled. Shane and Jason didn’t get along, but the fact that Shane had actually gathered up his pride and thanked Jason meant that he was starting learn that even people like Jason weren’t all bad.

“Maybe you should buy a leash?” Jason suggested, completely ignoring Shane’s thanks. “Keep your girl in line.”

“Ass,” Claire exclaimed.

“And you just ruined any bit of respect you had just earnt,” Shane said. “You brought her back, now you can leave.”

“Claire?” She heard Eve call, and the Goth queen was running through the backdoor. She skidded to a halt when she saw Jason. “Jase?”

“Hey sis,” He smiled weakly and kicked at an invisible rock. “How you been?”

“Me?” She let out a laugh, but her heart wasn’t in it. “Same as I was the last time you saw me. What.. What about you and your new lifestyle?”

Jason’s eyes glanced to Shane, and to Michael who had just stepped outside the house. He shrugged and swallowed, and Claire saw the old Jason. Young, and even a little fragile. Of course, that was just a mask now. “It must be going good,” Jason said eventually. “I saved Claire’s life, I guess.”

“Saved what?” Eve asked as she stared at Claire.

“Not my fault,” Claire raised her arms in surrender as she sidestepped past Shane and Eve. She squeezed past Michael into the house. “I’m thinking about taking a shower, and going to bed. Thanks again Jason, for you know. Saving me and all. See you all in the morning, apart from Jason. But.. Whatever. I’m tired and I’m not thinking straight. Goodnight.”

Claire was aware of everyone staring at her as she left, but she didn’t care.

All she wanted to do was lock herself in that bathroom and use all the hot water, and then sleep.

Now she knew why Eve liked it so much.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.8K 328 8
Shane's point of view in the Morganville series. Book Two: Dead Girls Dance. Glass Houses, Midnight Alley, and Feast of Fools also up. Also, check ou...
602 8 5
A Morganville fanfic thing
532K 36.2K 59
"Most intriguing. You obviously know who - and what - I am, but you don't run." He leaned toward her and felt her body react. "Quite the opposite i...
8.8K 421 20
Claire is about to go to Texas Prairie University, when Amelie, the Founder of Morganville, texts her telling her to go to her office. When's she the...