Sweet Love (NG5)

By pseudoannie

(Complete) After decades, it's the end of an era on The Point. Change is inevitable and Will Drake doesn't li... More

Sweet Love
1 - No Hailey
2 - Virginia
3 - Family
4 - Home
5 - Secret
6 - The best two
7 - Nick
8 - Duty
9 - Spring break
10 - Rumors
11 - Kitty Kat
12 - Pops
13 - The Point
14 - Her dream
15 - Blacklisted
16 - Maine
17 - Retired
18 - The same
19 - New boss
20 - Change
21 - Secrets
22 - New
23 - Double agent
24 - The man
25 - Offense
26 - Limited
27 - Vacation
28 - Friends
29 - Chef to chef
30 - Womb mate
31 - Just friends
33 - Again
34 - Self centered
35 - For good
36 - Merry Christmas
37 - Tickets
38 - No secrets
39 - BFF
40 - Number four
41 - Tequila
42 - Chef
43 - Break
44 - Now
45 - Love
46 - Timing
47 - Yelp
48 - Venti
49 - Helpless
50 - Team
51 - Blah, blah, blah
52 - Commencement
53 - Favor
54 - After all
55 - Everyone
56 - Can't
57 - March

32 - Happiness

629 128 23
By pseudoannie

AUGUST

Kat's parents were finally coming to visit. With a bounce in her step, she went down the stairs from her apartment. She had ordered a mattress and bought a cheap frame so her guests would have a place to sleep. The tiny second bedroom had little room after she set up the bed.

Plastic sheets blocked off her baking area, but she ducked under to look. The ovens had arrived, but they were waiting on the electrician. Alex kept saying any day. With help from a friend in Boston, The Landing Investment Group bought her old commercial mixer and other baking equipment through the liquidation sale. Her father was bringing them in his pickup truck.

They had put off visiting in July, because a rainy weekend had been forecasted. Sunshine was expected all weekend, and she had a special menu planned for Saturday night coffeehouse. Salmon with a tangy blueberry sauce. She enjoyed including in-season Maine crops. In September, she would include corn, October was for potatoes, but also for pumpkin muffins. The ideas were limitless.

When she stepped out, she looked around. Nick was at the grill, but there were no customers, just the constant pop of the nail gun outside. The porch was also taking shape. Alex and Jen were amazing. Everything had been ordered and was ready to go.

Her phone rang. It wasn't her parents. "Hello."

"Hi Kat, this is Kerry. I'm calling to see if the equipment arrived."

"Not yet. It's on its way."

"Be sure to send through the list of any additional equipment you need."

This wasn't a new request, but she was weighing her must haves with her wants. Kerry had been much better to deal with than the black-hole email. Once construction started even the man decided she needed a contact at the investment group. Unfortunately, Kerry wasn't willing to share anything personal. She could be calling from the moon for all Kat knew.

It disappointed Nick that he hadn't solved the mystery, and he was almost out of time. When she slipped her phone in her pocket, Nick looked up. "You should have asked her the weather."

Kat laughed. "How would that help? It's summer and hot everywhere."

"We'll never find out. Did you watch the game last night?"

She nodded. "For a few minutes." Maybe more.

"Will made a great catch."

Kat had sat in front of the TV but not to follow the game, she wanted to get glimpses of Will. Since he left, she missed not having a friend. It wouldn't be right to call him to complain about her ups and downs with the man. Luckily, there were more ups or would be when the construction was complete.

It took time before she lost the urge to ask Martha if Will had stopped in, so seeing him run across the sceen left her in awe and lonely at the same time. "I understand baseball better than football."

Nick chuckled. "Next week I can explain it to you."

"Next week, you'll be packing to leave too."

Ivy, who had been cutting salad vegetables, turned to look at Nick. She and Luca hung out, but her long face told a different story. Kat was no expert in relationships, so she didn't try to figure it out.

"You too, Ivy. I'll miss you both." Luckily the hours dropped back after Labor Day. Although if her plans worked, the business wouldn't slow as expected.

The bell rang, and Kat sprang forward to greet her parents. After a hug, her mother said, "Let me look at you."

"Me first." Seth Cousins moved towards his daughter. As he enveloped her, she closed her eyes and relaxed in his comforting arms. The scent of home swirled around her.

"It's bigger than I thought." Ramona looked around. Her eyes stopped on the plastic.

"We're waiting for the electrician. I'll show you upstairs. This is Nick and that's Ivy." The kids waved and smiled.

The apartment was nicer than the dump she lived in with Bryce although it was sparsely furnished. "Your room is small. It was the former owner's daughter's room. She said it was like living in a closet. She has a beautiful house down the street. It should be gorgeous since she's an interior designer and her husband is the contractor doing the renovation."

"You look happy, Kat."

She wasn't every minute of the day. "It's this place. I've moved on, but I'm thrilled to have my equipment. Alex's guys will bring it in. I should text him."

She took out her phone. There was a missed text from Will. He had responded to her text from the night before. After she texted Alex, she tapped a reply. Nick offered to teach me the game.

When her phone rang, she looked at it. Her father had gone for their luggage, but her mother was looking around.

"Hello."

"I can teach you." His voice laughed.

"You aren't here. Besides, you're busy.'

"How's it going there?"

"Great! My parents are here. Your sister is singing tomorrow."

"I know. The kids start school next week." Maine schools started later.

"My first summer is almost in the books." Her mother looked at her. "I have to go. Thanks for calling."

"Who was that?" Ramona pointed to her phone.

"Just a friend. One of our regulars when he was here this summer."

"It's still summer."

"Yes, but he works and couldn't stay."

"He? Interesting."

If she denied it too much, her mother would persist. "It's not like that."

"Does he have a good job?"

"Mom, he lives in New York."

"Who lives in New York?" Seth came through the door with two canvas bags.

"One of our regulars."

"That's a long way to come for weekends."

"He doesn't come for weekends." Because he works. "Are you hungry?"

"I need to freshen up." Kat pointed towards the bathroom and Ramona shut the door behind her.

"Your staff is very nice. They were telling me about your changes."

Kat stopped herself from mentioning the angst that came with each. Things had definitely become easier since she started dealing with Kerry. "It's different from the restaurant, but I'm enjoying it."

"What about in the winter?"

Kat smiled. "My goal is to keep us busier than in the past. A little slowdown is fine to save some energy for the summer. The summer sales figures have exceeded expectations."

"Sales figures. I didn't think you were into the numbers."

Kat sighed. "That was my downfall. Never again."

"And you've made friends?"

"Dad, everyone is great. They're like a family. You'll see."

"Is your friend from New York family?"

"He lives in Buffalo half the year. His sister stays all summer. Her in-laws live here year round."

"Buffalo! We compete against them in football. Is he a fan?"

Kat laughed. "You could say he's more than a fan."

Ramona stepped out. "What about a fan? It's comfortable for a second level."

"The apartment has air, along with downstairs."

Seth laughed. "Show us around."

"We can walk down to the beach now or after we eat."

Ramona said, "Now. I'm not hungry yet."

Kat nodded and headed down Sandpiper. "See a lot of the cottages have been made into year-round homes."

"Hi Kat." Emma Harris rode by on her bike.

In front of her house, Jen was unloading groceries from her trunk. "Hey Kat. It's almost done."

"We need the electrician."

"Don't worry. Alex is on him."

Kat waved and said, "That's the contractor's wife."

"The one who slept in our small room."

Kat smiled and nodded. As they stepped onto the beach, her parents stopped walking. "It really is something."

"Beautiful."

Smiling, she nodded. "I really like it. I walk most days. It's good for stress." She used to need more than one walk to take out her frustrations.

The crowd grew as they walked towards the town lot. Cars in the lot in the late afternoon might translate into dinner before heading home. People waved and called to her. A few stopped her to ask about the Saturday night menu.

"Everyone is excited," Seth said.

"It's supply and demand. By limiting the supply, I create demand." She had sold blueberry lemon muffins earlier. Each time they sold out quicker than before even though she made more.

"How did you learn economics?"

"Will taught me."

Ramona said, "He sounds smart, what does he do for a living?"

"He is smart, an economics major."

Ahead Liam and JP had a football. "Throw it. I'm Uncle Will." The younger boy caught the pass and ran with it.

JP yelled, "Touchdown!"

They looked up. "Kat, I caught it like Uncle Will last night."

She laughed. "Did you stay up for the entire game?"

"My dad said it was a treat for our last week." Liam frowned.

"I'll miss you." She enjoyed the kids as much as their parents.

Seth said, "They like football. Uncle Will?"

Kat nodded, but Liam overheard. "My uncle is a wide receiver. That's what I wanna be."

JP said, "I'm gonna be a quarterback."

Lana appeared. "You'll be late for dinner if you don't pack up your toys. Charlotte is ready. Hi Kat. Did you see Will play last night?"

"Just a few minutes."

Her father had his phone out. He held it up. "This Will?"

She couldn't hide her smile. He looked handsome. Ramona shook her head. "That's a dangerous sport."

Kat shrugged. "He's good at it." Watching him catch on the beach was nothing like on the TV.

Seth looked at his phone. "It doesn't say he's from Maine."

Kat shrugged. "He owns a condo and stayed until training started in July."

"A jock."

"He's a friend. Just a friend." No one was around as they walked past the crowds towards the Pelletier's house. "I'm still recovering from my past relationship. An author lives there and I've been in the last house."

"It's gorgeous."

"Nick, who works for me, it's his grandparents' house."

"How do you keep it straight?"

"It's gotten easier. I'm still learning. Let's go back." She turned around to walk back towards the pavement.

Nick and Ivy were busy. Luca had the night off, so Finley was taking orders.

"Decide what you want. I'll make it. Do you two need help?"

They looked at each other. "We're good."

Ivy still hung out with Luca, but she and Nick had lunch once a week, and she had seen them on the beach together a bunch of times.

Kat made lobster rolls for her parents and a salad for herself. When she sat, Seth covered her hand. "Sweetheart, I'm glad you're happy." After her life had been in shambles, she made an unlikely decision to move to Maine, and found happiness.

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2K 377 34
●COMPLETED● Fan of erotic and heated love scenes? Well, you've come to the right place. No under 18s allowed🚫. The funny thing about love, is that...
172K 6.9K 71
**READ CAT & HER FIRST LOVE BEFORE READING THIS** Catherine: They say that true love is selfless, that it's always prepared to sacrifice one's own h...
1.5K 312 29
Pessimistic Stephanie Thorne and her family just moved to a new town, and she's counting on a fresh start. Struggling to get settled, things began t...
983 34 51
WARNING!!! CONTAINS ADULT THEMES THAT MAY BE TRIGGERING! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING!! 18++++++ New town... New school... The po...