Is This Happiness

By shamelesshxte

After witnessing a murder in cold blood. Carmen has no other choice but to be protected by the Genovese crime... More

Is This Happiness - The Playlist
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90

76

210 8 0
By shamelesshxte

CARMEN

"So how long have you known Stefano?" I ask, doing my infamous interrogating. Giselle looks up from the ground, giving me a side-eye look before smirking silently. Her hands dig down into the dirt. Pulling at the green grass. And for what reason, I don't know. I give her a confused look while standing silently and waiting for an answer.

She takes her time of course, making me wait.

"Don't look at me like that! This isn't grass, they're weeds. But you city folk wouldn't know a thing about it." She scolds, continuing to pull at the weeds stuck deep in the ground. Tugging harshly, she throws them over onto the cobbled walkway. In the process dirt flies, every which way, and I jump away.

"I grew up in Brooklyn, I didn't really have a yard." City folk, did she know?

"Never been to the city, never want to." She struggled to pull one of the weeds, as she called it. Growling lowly and yanking with all her strength. I try not to laugh at the sight. Actually feeling bad for her struggle, I peer over her shoulder curiously.

"Yeah, it can get hectic at times." I agree with her. Knowing full and well I missed the rush. The people and the scene. But Stefano felt like home now. That's all that mattered really.

"But you miss it don't you?" Thank you for understanding. Switching the roles and now interrogating me. Giselle stands up, shoving me over towards more weeds.

I never felt like I could admit that to anyone. Not my parents, not Harper, or my husband. I've been seriously holding my emotions in. And I don't even notice half the time.

"Yeah sometimes." Handing me a pair of spider-man gloves, my mouth drops open at the sight of them. They're most likely Luca's, I'm pretty sure.

"You're gonna have to work if you want to get some answers out of me!" Putting a dirty but gloved hand onto her hip, and ruining her shirt. I cringe, quickly taking the gloves and slipping them up both of my hands.

"I met Stefano Genovese when I was working tables." Getting down onto my knees. I look to where she points and wants me to help pull. So I do, waiting patiently to hear her continue to speak.

"He came in alone, and wet from the rain. It was the wettest time of the year. I hated it with a passion! But he came in, and I was the only one working in the place. So, I sat down to give him some company, and we started talking. He mentioned that he got a woman pregnant. Lost and confused, he asked me about my problems to get away from his! Sweet boy he was, is. I told him all about the way I felt lost because he asked, and that night I left with a job that was double what I had made in that diner for Six years. Six years what I would make In a month taking care of that boy inside! And I love him like a son. Both of them, with all my heart. You know, I didn't mention it earlier. But I was pregnant when my husband passed. I miscarried." She began to tear up.

"I'm sorry." Shaking it off, her head nods in regards to my words. Closing her eyes as she fanned her face. She gave me a teasing glare. Waving me along to pull the weeds faster up from the ground.

"Those two in there really became a light in my life. They saved me." Closing her teary eyes. I stand up from the ground and throw my arms around her neck. Glad that she accepted the hug from me quickly. Squeezing my body harder to her chest.

"So have you in a way." She whispers next to my ear. My mouth drops open.

"How?" Genuinely asking, I pull away from her slightly.

"That man in his own ways loves you more than living itself. He's only had pleasant things to say about you. He goes on and on-" I laughed into her shoulder, feeling my own tears choke me up.

"Thank you for taking care of him back in wherever the two of you live. I know Luca may come as a surprise to you. But he's fond of you already." Carrying on, she pulls me back in and gives my back a squeeze before letting go. Grabbing a hold of my shoulders, she caught my wandering gaze.

"Giselle?"

"Yes, dear?" Her concerned eyes find mine within seconds.

"This is a stupid question, but I just have to know. Does Stefano tell Luca that he loves him?" I lowered my voice as I asked the uncomfortably awkward question. I'm thinking that the words just make him uncomfortable, it's not me. But she's silent for a moment before her mouth opens.

"I see the way he looks at you. You have nothing to worry about." Replying honestly, her eyes soften into mine giving me a genuine look.

"I've been told. And I've never pushed it, right? I just- you know." She nods halfway through my sentence, showing her understanding.

"The two of you remind me of my Calvin. I was told by all that he looked at me with the same look in his eyes as I did him. Like a sugar addict staring at a piece of cake!"

"What a crazy comparison." We laugh loudly at our words together.

"But it's young love. It's innocent. The two of you were bonded from the moment you met. And don't look shocked, he's told me about you from the moment you entered his life. Without ever realizing it himself. He sat there in front of me every time and explained every way that he loved you in his own words. And it's all he talked about. Carmen this Carmen that."

"You love him?" She asks me.

"Yeah." Her face blurred by my tears.

"I know." Pulling me back in for another hug. It gets shut down quickly when the back door is ripped open.

"Come on guys! We're playing checkers." Both me and Giselle roll our eyes, but throw the gloves off and make our way inside

"Those damn checkers." She grumbled making me laugh.

"The boy never gets tired of them. Got it from his father I guess." Maybe it's a way he feels connected to Stefano when he's gone. Stefano showed the ropes to checkers, just like his grandfather did for him. He was passing it down, it meant so much to him.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for Luca. I hope he just knows that Stefano's gone to keep him safe. To make sure his safety was number one. Since the day Stefano first told me he had a son I was shocked, to say the least.

But it didn't affect the way I felt about him. If anything it caused us to grow together. From then on, he trusted me fully. He trusted me enough to tell me the secret of his son, and that means a lot. Especially in the mafia. You couldn't trust anyone. Not even blood.

He trusted me. And I didn't let him down, I won't. Our hands were tied, for life now.

We spend hours playing checkers.

I'd punch Stefano on the shoulder each and every time he would inevitably win. But he'd catch my hand with his, and bring it to his lips, every time. We played for a while, so caught up in it we didn't realize how late it had gotten. The sun had set, so we ordered dinner in.

We ate around dinner on the coffee table where we were previously playing. Deciding that watching tv would be fun to watch while we eat. Until we were forced to watch a black and white film, only because Stefano said so.

"No sit-down, I can clean up the dishes." I push Giselle's shoulder down for her to stay seated on the comfy couch.

"It's only fair that Stefano helps, now move along. You're blocking the tv!" I scoff, giving Stefano a glare from his chair to get up and follow me into the kitchen. Giselle had no complaints whatsoever, caught up in the television.

"That was easy." He murmured, getting an eye roll from Giselle.

"Have you ever had to wash your own dishes?" I ask, putting the plates down over into the cleaned sink. Grabbing the handle and turning it on. I'm pushed to the side by his body taking the place of where mine was.

"I know how to clean things." Growling softly, he takes the soap and lathers the plates.

"We'll see." Walking around to grab a dry towel. I waited for him to start handing them over as he finished each.

"I like going to this diner" My brows furrow.

"The place we ate tonight?" Meeting his gaze, he gives me a quick nod.

"They have nice chocolate cake." This man.

"You love your cake don't you kid?" I reach up to pinch his cheek. Getting a smack on the wrist in return.

"Why didn't you get any?" He shrugged his shoulders. If he liked it so much then why not?

"Take Luca out for an ice cream when we're finished." Sucking in a breath. I take the first dish from his hands. Could he be serious right now? Me going out and alone, with his son for that matter? Who knows who's lurking out there and waiting to snatch the two of us up. My face could practically be burned in their heads by now.

"Without you?" Staring down into my eyes, he gives me a wide smile. The wide smile that I loved the most.

"There's just a few things that I need to talk to Giselle about." Alone? Placing the dry plate down. I throw the towel down after, grabbing his arm. Intertwining his soapy fingers through my own. I bring the back of his hand up to my mouth and place a kiss.

"Is it really safe?" Wrapping his arm around my neck. He nuzzled his head into the crook between my shoulder and neck. Placing a wet kiss.

"It will be." Gathering a hand full of my hair. He tugs it back. Meeting my eyes when he does. After a few seconds leaning down and trailing kisses across my face.

"Your trust me with him alone?" I joke.

"I do." Pressing a kiss to my lips. I lean into him more. Watching his eyes soften the closer I get.

"When should we go?"

"Now." Kissing down my neck as he bends it back by pulling my hair. He doesn't let up.

"You have to let go for me to leave." I whisper, not trying to pull away from him. He places another kiss to my forehead, and finally pulls away from me.

"Be safe." Whispering against my forehead.

"Always am." Let's manifest that. I take in a deep breath after my words. Trying so hard to believe what I said was true. And that we were fine, that I was fine. That everything would be fine. From here on out. The men couldn't get to us. We left the city, they didn't know where we were. Giovanni doesn't have a clue.

"Stefano is everyone okay back at the estate, would Giovanni hurt them?" I don't know how he could possibly know the answer to my question. He didn't have a phone, as far as I know. Because he crushed the one he had with him the second we got to the hotel in Boston. I just needed reassurance. I tried not to ask him so many questions all the time. But I also can't just hold them in forever. If I did, I would go crazy.

"I promise you, love. You have nothing to worry about. Everything is being taken care of." Grabbing my jaw, he tilts my head up to see my eyes.

I trust what he's saying. But the question is, how. How is everything being taken care of? Who is taking care of it. Who is helping him. Who else is a rat in the family? If there's one, there could easily be others.

"I trust you, Stefano." I love you, Stefano.

"I trust you too, Carmen." His soft eyes leave mine and I unhook my hold from him. Slowly making my way towards the living room. Instantly seeing Giselle smacking at Luca's feet. Clearly, they weren't supposed to be up on the table. He looks over and gives me a cheeky smile.

"Want to go and get ice cream with me?" His eyes light up. So I'm guessing there's an ice cream parlor nearby. Jumping up and quickly. He makes his way around me and towards the front door. Where he suits up by putting his shoes and jacket on.

"I guess that's a yes." Turning to face Stefano. He gives my cheek a soft pat before diving his hand down into the pocket of his jeans that we stole. Flipping the wallet open and handing me a credit card. He places it into my hand. With an expression that I've seen plenty of times.

"Your card." Pointblank, my eyes lift from it to give him a death glare.

"Go, baby." He demands. Letting go of the end of it. I just stand frozen where I am in front of him. Staring into his hardening eyes. I notice the darker shade they turn the moment I back away.

Why do I feel the strong urge to stay?

He must have ran out of money. Which was impossible seeing as the stack I saw yesterday wasn't dentable. I ignore the pit feeling in my stomach and turn. Knowing if I kept staring into his eyes, it would take four of him to pull me away. I'd fucking latch on.

Again with all of the secrets. What did I not know? What was happening?

"Carmen!" Snapping me out of my head. I look down to see Luca's wide eyes staring up at me.

"We're here!" How? I look up to see a small parlor and my mouth drops. How rude of me. I must have zoned out. It happens when you start to analyze things.

"I'm sorry." Shaking his head, he steps forward and opens the glass door for me.

"Thank you, sir." He giggles at my words.

We both get cones. He gets a mint chocolate chip, and I try the same. Almost choking at the strong taste. I cringe and shake off Luca's teasing.

"Do you come to this place often?" Taking a chunk out of the ice cream. I get used to it quickly. Not actually minding the way it tastes like straight-up toothpaste.

"On weekends. I can never go alone though." Understandable. So she knows, she has to. She has to at least have her suspicions. I know I do. Especially after Stefano said he had to speak to her in private.

We walk further down the sidewalk and into the direction of a few kids hanging out on the pavement. I give him a questionable look when he stops walking.

"They like to mess my me." He mumbles, kicking a pebble with his sneaker. Just the look on his face tells me he's uncomfortable by being here and near them. I look back over at the kinds sitting down on the sidewalk, some are laughing and riding their bikes and skateboards in the middle of the street.

"What do they say?" I growl, glaring at the group of teens from afar.

"It's okay it's not important, don't do anything it'll only make it worse, we can turn around." I sigh, taking a seat right where I stood. With my feet down on the street next to the pavement. I bring the ice cream to my mouth again.

"Sit with me." Patting the concrete next to me.
Sitting like I tell him. He easily hides his body behind mine.

"How long have you lived here?"

"We move every year." Trying to bite his cone like I did, but cringing from the freeze. My head snaps over to his.

"What?" Every year?

"I don't know what my dad does. But we can't stay in one place for a long time. It's okay, people's never liked me anyway."

"I like you Luca."

"You don't have to say that." My eyebrows furrow to his reply.

"They're in our way, we're not in theres." I grab his hand, pulling him up along with me.

"Carmen what are you doing!" He whisper yells into my ear. Fighting against me, he stops once we reach them. Never facing them when we pass by.

"That's a really pretty ferris wheel." I gasp, watching up as it rotates from a distance. It was bright, big, and colorful up there in the sky. Illuminating light for a least a few miles.

"Yeah, i've never ridden it though." My head flies towards Luca. Looking down and away from my gaze. He held his cone a little too tight, cracking the end. Shrieking, he runs up to a public garbage, throwing the rest away.

"Well let's ride it then!" I'd never been on one before. The only other ferris wheel I've seen is the one at coney island. The Wonder Wheel. It's too high up. My parents used to take turns each year staying down with me while one of them took Jax up on it. I felt guilty but I just wouldn't go up. But this one was small, it looks safer.

Without waiting for him to answer. I grab his hand and pull him along with me towards the loud screams of excitement and core memories being made. Today, that will be me and Luca.

"Really?" I hear him ask as I move towards it one step at a time, with him following closely by my side in excitement. His eyes fill with hope when I look down. As if I was joking around, he still had a hesitancy to his step. Looking back and forth between me and where he was walking. He gives me another big smile at my dancing eyebrows.

"Yeah. I've never been on one either. It'll be a first for the both of us." I look down shocked when he gives my hand a tight squeeze. Reminding me of his father, and how Stefano seemed to do the same thing. When words just weren't enough. He'd give me a squeeze. Father like son. Speaking of father, how would he feel knowing we were heading in the opposite direction of the house and ice cream parlor.

"Your dad will kill me for having you out for so long. I don't even have a phone." I sigh heavily, regretting my decision but the look on his face left me no other choice but to continue to the gated entrance ahead. The crowded entrance at that. It's crazy at how many people held phones in their hands.

They were so occupied by the internet, like I used to be. But without a phone, I've really learned to appreciate the small things. Like moments like this.

"We can tell him we just ate a lot of ice cream and kept going back for more." He replies goofily, nudging my arm as we both let out loud laughs. I grip his hand tighter when we make it to the crowd, weaving through everyone. Making sure he was right by my side.

"Two tickets." I ask when we get to the ticket booth. Waiting anxiously ready to ride the large ride ahead. I give Luca a small smile before handing Stefano's card over to be swiped. Keeping eyes on it. But mind on the small antsy hand swinging my arm side to side.

"Two tickets, enjoy." Slipping back the card from the glass cut out hole, the girl working replied with fake enthusiasm, clearly hating the way she's spending her time. Understandable, if I were her I would hate if too.

"Let's go!" Luca starts to pull me. Although i'd count it as dragging. I slip the card into the back pocket of my jeans, running along with him towards the tall spinning machine. Shining and sparkling with bright colors. I gasp in awe, stilling when we get in the long line waiting ahead. Where at least fifteen people stand.

"I've always wanted to ride it but Giselle doesn't like heights."

"There's one back home but I was always scared to ride it." So I understood.

"Where are you from?" Eyes wide and curious.

"Brooklyn, New York." Smiling with a nod of his head. He steps closer to me when people stepping off of the wheel come squeezing by.

"Your accent isn't heavy, like jersey shore." My mouth drops open hearing his words.

"I couldn't tell. But I like jersey shore, it's Giselle's favorite tv show." He speaks, gripping my hand tighter. And I realize that i'm still holding his hand.

"Of course she does."

"How old are you?" Asking me another question. But I don't mind. I squint my eyes down at him.

"Nineteen, how old are you?"

"Seven." I was twelve when this boy was conceived. What the fuck. Nodding my head, I clench my other hands fist. Thinking of how crazy this was. The human standing right next to me is my husband's son. The son the no one on planet earth knows about but me and Giselle.

The little ex future Mafia Don.

Stefano has other plans for him. That has nothing to do with the world we live in. He's innocent. And I wasn't going to be the one to take that away. I can tell how much it means to Stefano. Keeping Luca away from it all. I understand his motives.

My eyes flicker around, noticing the ride worker watching me. Blankly staring straight at me. The middle aged man's eyes zero in on me, and unapologetically. He wouldn't take his eyes off of me, and it's been minutes.

"My dad would be so mad." Giggling lowly, Luca looked between the two of us, shaking his head.

"Maybe he thinks you're pretty." He continued as I wouldn't speak. I wouldn't dare open my mouth with his eyes glued to me.

"Yeah, probably." I speak the moment the man looked away. Everything that's happened was making me rethink every gaze of another. Every conversation going on around me. Every passing person. I was becoming Stefano. No, I have become the mob wife that I've been for months now. It was shaping me.

"It's almost our time!" Singing excitedly, I gasp loudly when a cold chill runs down my back. Due to the feeling of liquid running down my shirt, off my back, and down to the ground.

"I'm so sorry!" A teen girl squeals, not looking sorry at all. She gives her friends a side eye look that makes me want to choke her.

"What the fuck is wrong with you!" Her eyes widen at my loud growl.

"Calm down, I didn't even mean to spill it on you." Her eyes went right. And towards the man I was most worried about.

"Come on, I have to clean this off of me!"  No, we have to get the fuck out of here because it's becoming sketchy as fuck. My nails practically dig into his skin as I pulled him away. Feeling guilty the further we walk.

"I'm sorry about the ferris wheel."

"Sorry she was mean." I'm sorry you don't know why she was mean. But something was going down tonight. They had eyes on me.
They wanted me to leave.

Luca. They saw Luca's face.

I gulp, making it out of the gate and down the street. Looking around and around as we made it back to Luca's street.

But we don't get very far. Crowded around the house were several police cars and about three ambulances. Never mind the nosey neighbors creating a large crowd around yellow tape strung up.

How long were we gone?

The house was being hosed down by multiple firefighters. It was up in flames. Furthermore rasing higher and hitting the trees above.

The car Stefano hot wired was gone. And replacing it was three dead bodies lying flat on the concrete. Creating muddles of blood.

We had to get out of here.

Go, baby.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28 0 16
Isabella considers herself a fiercely independent and confident woman, after having had to claw her way back from a broken heart and a relationship t...
7.5K 179 42
When a guy is forced into finding the next heir to his mafia by his dad, he impregnates a random girl he met at a club The girl looses everyone when...
385 79 20
Carmen Cortez, 21, is not just your ordinary woman. She is someone who has made plentiful mistakes, but will do everything she can to fix them, even...
85.3K 3.1K 63
This is the Sequal of Pain Before Love. You will need to Read the first one to understand this one or you will be confused. This is Keyona Martinez...