Hearts of the Lonely (Reader...

By cos_at_your_service

Y/N becomes lost in the forest while camping, and a ghoul, Mountain, finds them. They are brought back to a c... More

1- Lost
2- What the Fuck
3- Cara Mia
4- Introductions
5- New Home
6- Ritual
7- Rats
8- Plants
9- Ghouls
10- Ghouls (Pt. 2)
11- Band Practice
12- Work
13- "Wait, did he plan a date?"
14- Quick Visit
15- His Greenhouse
16- Summer Solstice
17- Friends
18- Special
19- Alone
20- Rescue Mission
21- Time Together
22- Caught
23- Ghouls & Angels
24- Phantom
25- Full Moon
26- Shopping Fiasco
27-Meetings
28- Rising Tension
29- Confrontation
30- Favors
31- Trouble Brewing
32- Febreeze & Foiled Plans
33- Temporary Housing
34- *Back Again
35- Test
36- *Test (Pt. 2)
37- Fall Festival
39- Season's Greetings
40- The Chimes Close to Midnight
41- New Plans

38- An Eventful Halloween

467 20 10
By cos_at_your_service

Ground beef, beans, tomatoes, spices. Maybe some noodles or green vegetables if you were lucky. Warm bowl by bowl. Lunch and dinner. Day after day.

Chili was becoming unbearable.

"Put some cheese on the top." Swiss pointed his spoon at you. He stopped over at your house to drop off a note from Sister Imperator, and he stayed to help you finish off the last few bowls of chili.

You grimaced as you gazed into your bowl. "Cheese won't help. I can't eat this anymore."

"More for me," Swiss said. You pushed the bowl across the counter to him. "Gotta tell Terzo not to give you this much next time, huh?"

You nodded. "No more chili for a long, long time."

"Do you have a plastic container?"

"Yea. What for?" You turned to open one of the kitchen cabinets where the plastic storage containers were kept.

"I want to bring some to Phantom. He's never had chili, and it might make him feel better. Poor boy is sick."

"What's he got?" You found a bowl and gave it to him.

"Just a cold. But since he's never been sick before, it hit the 'lil buggy pretty hard." Swiss finished the last of his chili and then put the other bowl into the plastic container. "Phantom was dozing on the recliner under a pile of blankets when I left this morning. Aether is staying home to take care of him. Although it might be a disguise to spend time with Sunshine since she has the day off. . ."

You softly chucked as Swiss continued to tell you all the gossip and drama he knew about.

". . .but she was worried it would be too scary. She's like a mom to us all, especially him."

"I understand Cumulus' concern, but tell Rain he can watch it here with me if he wants to."

"Will do. Hey, you want to stop by for a Halloween party tonight at our place? It's after the Ritual."

"Sure!"

Swiss grabbed his keys and phone off the counter, and you walked him to the door. "Perfect! And get a front-row seat at the Ritual!"

. . .

You looked at all the open windows. It was too cold to have them open even though the church was packed and you had a light jacket on. At least the bugs were going away due to the colder temperatures. You and Terzo, who sat next to you, both agreed that the best part of fall was the disappearance of all the bugs. You watched the final candle flames flicker as they were put out to begin the Ritual.

Like the first one you attended, the Ritual started off with "Year Zero". Sodo and Aether stood at attention on both sides of the elevated center platform and Rain was on the third step of the platform. Swiss and the ghoulettes were on their own little platforms around the main one where Mountain was. You were busy watching Copia sing, but Terzo tapped you shoulder and pointed out something to you. During the song, Sodo came up and gripped Rain's throat. Rain tensed at his touch, but you saw him subtly melt into Sodo's grip. Next up was "Prime Mover". Rain switched spots with Copia to be front and center.

Then one of the new songs was played. Copia introduced it and told everyone it was called "Miasma" before taking a break and getting water offstage. The crowd seemed to be alright with the song until Papa Nihil came out with his saxophone, driving everyone wild. Aether and Sodo were by his side, and Rain was over by Swiss' platform as the song continued. Cirrus and Cumulus played their instruments and danced along.

As the song was ending, Papa Nihil seemed a bit winded. One of the security members tried to get him to stop, but the old man used his last bit of strength to push him away and play the final notes. The crowd burst into applause, which soon turned into screams and cries for help as Papa Nihil collapsed onto the steps of the big platform.

"Dad!" Terzo gasped. "I'm sorry- I- I have to-"

"Go," you told him.

Terzo ran up the steps and reached his father. You saw Copia on the side of the stage, and he ran out as well. A few men in black uniforms ran to Papa Nihil's side and began checking his vitals, and Sister Imperator ran up the center aisle of the church. One of the men stood up and whispered something to her. Her spine stiffened, and she went over to the ghoulettes' platform to get a microphone.

"Papa Nihil has passed."

The crowd gasped, murmured, and few screams were heard.

"And I must announce that there will be a new Papa Emeritus. Tonight."

Taking this as his cue, Copia came over and moved to the center of the stage. As he did so, a few Sisters brought robes and little jars of face paint. Sister Imperator snapped her fingers and looked at the ghoulettes. Cirrus and Cumulus awkwardly played some piano music. The rest of the ghouls joined in, not knowing what to do as the men took Papa Nihil offstage, Terzo and Sister Imperator followed them, and the Sisters dressed up the new Papa Emeritus.

Copia's new outfit included skull face paint and blue and gold robes. The Sisters next to him knelt down and kissed his hands. The rest of the congregation, still shocked by previous events, started to clap and kneel on the cold, stone flooring.

"Uhm- thank you. I think we should all head home, now."

. . .

"The first thing he said as Papa was 'we all should go home'? Not anything cool?"

"Sunny, his dad just died like three minutes before."

"Yea. . ." Sunshine thought about it as she held Aether's hand. A whimper came from the other side of the room, and she turned to see Phantom shivering.

"I'll get it." Aether got up and covered him with the blanket that fell on the floor, and kissed his masked forehead. He waited until Phantom was sleeping soundly before he went back over by Sunshine.

"He is getting better, though. His nausea and upset stomach stopped a while ago."

"Should I wake him up? He's going to be pissed if he finds out he missed his first ever Halloween party."

"Will there be candy?" A weak voice asked. Phantom opened his eyes and stretched his arms.

"You can only have a few pieces," Aether told him.

"Can I get up and see everyone?"

"Aeth, if I help with the stuff in the kitchen and the last decorations, would you be willing to get him cleaned up?" Sunshine got up from her spot on the couch and walked into the kitchen.

"Sure. C'mon, bud." Aether went over to Phantom, picked him up, and carried him upstairs to his room. Sunshine smiled as she saw Phantom hugging Aether, with his tail curled around Aether's leg.

. . .

"What are you supposed to be?" Sodo asked.

"A superhero!" The child responded.

"Ah. You want this icky candy bar or a super fun whistle that you can show off to your friends?" Sodo knelt down and showed the kid his options. The child thought hard. Finally, he made up his mind.

"Whistle!"

"Ah, ah, ah! What're the magic words?"

"Please and thank you!"

Sodo smiled as he gave the kid the whistle.

"That makes twelve pissed-off parents in an hour. New record." Sodo thought, grinning.

. . .

As soon as Phantom came downstairs with Aether, Cirrus herded everyone into the living area. You sat next to Mountain and the rest of the ghouls and ghoulettes found spots in chairs or on the blanket and pillow pile on the floor. Sodo shut off the porch light to show that they would not be accepting trick-or-treaters, and he put in a movie disc.

"What is it?" Cumulus asked.

"'The Exorcist."

"Put on something less scary!"

"No!" Sodo stamped his foot. "We are not watching the fucking cheesy-ass 'Charlie Brown Halloween' for the fifth year in a row!"

"It's a tradition! And not everyone like horror movies!"

"Sodo, why don't you use the t.v. in your room?" Rain gently suggested.

"Only if you watch with me."

"He is not going to watch that movie."

"You aren't his mom, and he's not a kit anymore!" Sodo spat.

"He pissed himself when Aether sneezed!" Cumulus explained, and Swiss burst into laughter.

"To be fair, it was loud. . ." Rain mumbled.

"I've had enough." Mountain got up from his spot. He walked into the kitchen to get a plate of chips and dip. You followed him, and you both sat at the kitchen table.

"Mountain? Y/N? Could I stay with you?" Rain asked.

"Fine by me," you said. Mountain nodded, chewing on the chips.

"Thank you."

In a while, you, Mountain, and Rain went up to Mountain's room.

"I'm going to go read in my room for a bit," Rain said as he went out of the room.

"Okay!" Mountain called out before turning back to you. "Y/N, do you mind if I call my parents? I hardly get to talk to them, and the barrier between Earth and Hell is thin tonight."

"Not at all; go ahead."

Mountain shut his room door, and pulled out his phone. You sat down on his chair as he dialed.

"Mom? Hi, Mom! Yes, hi, Dad!. . .No- I have a visitor. . .Speakerphone? Okay. . ." Mountain motioned you over towards him as he set the phone down on his bed.

"Hello? Hello?"

"You're on speaker."

"How have you been, Beanstalk?" A deep voice asked.

"Pretty well. How is it at home? I miss you."

"We miss you, too. Now, what is this mention of a visitor?" Mountain's mom asked.

"Well, they're not exactly a visitor. I'm dating them."

"Oh!"

"I hope that's a good 'oh'," Mountain said. A few mumbled words could be heard in the background. Mountain responded to them in the ghoul language, and his mother laughed.

"May we speak to them?" Mountain's dad asked.

"Hello! My name is Y/N, and I'm dating Mountain," you said.

"What a pretty name!" Mountain's mom said. "When did you two meet? Were you summoned?"

"Yes! They were summoned earlier this year," Mountain hastily explained. You gave him a questioning look, but he put a finger to his lips. Mountain continued talking to his parents, and they shared stories of what happened since they last talked. You were occasionally asked questions, and you answered them to the best of your ability. Eventually, goodbyes were said, and Mountain hung up.

"Beanstalk, huh?" You playfully asked Mountain. He only smiled at you, still happy that he was able to contact his parents and hear their voices. You thought of the moment when you texted your parents. Had you been as happy as Mountain looked now? Did he look at you with love in his eyes when you texted? Or did he look at you with envy? As you were deep in your thoughts, Rain poked his head into the room.

"What's up, Rain?" Mountain asked.

"Just. . .I just want to sit here. . .just for a bit."

"Rainypoo? Come back, baby. I can warn you when the scary parts are coming up." Sodo gently called out.

"I'm- I'm good!" Rain said. He looked at you and Mountain, silently pleading that you wouldn't tell Cumulus what he had done.

"We can watch 'Hocus Pocus' here if you want," Mountain offered.

"The one with the cat?" Rain said.

"Yea; Binx."

"Let's watch it," you said.

Mountain went downstairs to get the DVD, and you and Rain got blankets and pillows to make a comfy and cozy nest on Mountain's bed. Once he put in the disc, Mountain shut the curtains, lit a vanilla scented candle, and cuddled up next to you and Rain. Soon enough, Rain fell asleep with his head on Mountain's shoulder. You turned off the movie so Rain could sleep. Mountain took his chance and gently moved Rain off his shoulder so he could lean over and kiss your neck. You nuzzled into him, and he started purring.

Just as you closed your eyes, a blood-curdling scream rang out.

Mountain immediately jumped off the bed, keeping you and Rain behind him. His tail thrashed, and he growled. You and Rain, who woke up, scooted to the edge of the bed closest to the wall.

"SORRY! IT WAS A JUMPSCARE!" Sodo yelled.

". . .screaming bloody murder on Halloween night. . ." Mountain mumbled as he came over by you and Rain again. "Want some candy? I'm going get some and then go to sleep. It's been a long day."

You and Rain followed Mountain downstairs after he blew out the candle, and you all had a few chocolate bars.

"You can stay over tonight if you want."

"I have to go. I think I forgot to give Tobias dinner. But thanks for the offer."

"Let me walk you home." Mountain held your hand, and walked you to door. You said your goodbyes, and made your way home hand-in-hand with Mountain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 10 9
One shots of the band Ghost. There will be smut and fluff and a few one shots may be an inspiration for a book that I have in mind. It will include S...
198K 5K 35
𓆩*π“†ͺ 𝘨𝘢𝘒𝘳π˜₯𝘦π˜₯ 𝘣𝘺 𝘨𝘩𝘰𝘢𝘭𝘴 𓆩*π“†ͺ κ’° ͑͜➸ she just wanted her music. they didn't like that. so she found someone else...
23.1K 459 41
π–™π–†π–π–Š π–’π–Š π–Žπ–“π–™π–Šπ–—π–“π–†π–‘π–‘π–ž, π–‹π–”π–—π–Šπ–›π–Šπ–— π–žπ–”π–šπ–—π–˜, π–“π–”π–ˆπ–™π–šπ–—π–“π–†π–‘ π–’π–Š ||collection of ghost one shots <3 includes current ghouls...
39.5K 1.6K 70
-Finally the balaclava was gone too and she turned to you and you saw your girl for the first time. Your pants tightened and you would have sworn tha...