Ain't an Ordinary Girl

By TooLazy2Move

Vrylle, a seventeen-year-old girl is your typical anti-social. With no trusted friends to speak of, she finds... More

Prologue
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33

Chapter 32

215 7 4
By TooLazy2Move

While things were starting to ease on Ezra's side, Vrylle, at the moment, who had barely dreamed since coming to Magnumium, maybe due to exhaustion or something else, dreamt for the second time in just a day.

In a seemingly long-lost dream, an unknown man appeared.

Vrylle, who lay on the bed, opened her eyes and the first thing her blurry sight fell upon was her wrist resting beside her head and the shackles around it being unbound. Groggily, Vrylle wondered why she was shackled, or more importantly, why it felt like a similar situation had happened before.

While rummaging through vague memories, fatigue suddenly struck Vrylle. Feeling simply too weak, she just let it be for the time being and weakly lifted her wrist out of the shackle, then turned over, succumbing to the uncomfortable sensation.

What Vrylle didn't know she subconsciously did was, when she turned over, like a sort of habit, she moved into the other man's arm who was just on the other side of the bed. Then the man gently adjusted her posture so that Vrylle could sleep better. While gently patting her on the back, the unknown man leaned forward and watched her.

Vrylle, who was sinking deeper and deeper into her abyss of slumber, then heard the echoing voice of the man fall into her ears.

"...You heartless little one. Do you really not remember me? Haa... Good thing I remember you. Remembered it all."

The man lowered his head and his forehead touched Vrylle's. They were close, but the man did not dare do anything more. He just watched Vrylle silently for quite a while, then muttered something before closing his eyes to fall asleep with Vrylle in his arms, looking quite contented.

Such a dream soon passed.

The next morning, Vrylle had a feeling that she had forgotten something, and that 'something' seemed to slowly crawl its way to the surface.

Even a dream so rare for her to come by, one that was supposed to be easy to recall once she woke up, Vrylle couldn't remember. It was like a hazy memory, full of dense fog. Such a feeling inevitably frustrated her, making Vrylle furrow her delicate brows.

"Vy, what happened? Do you feel uncomfortable anywhere? Come on, just tell brother."

Everett looked at Vrylle as if she were a porcelain doll, fearing a light touch could damage her fragile body. The vivid and genuine emotions leaking unrestrained out of Everett, such as fear, anxiety, worry, and unease, though she knew it was unbecoming, made Vrylle feel warm, and the tickling, fluttering sensation in her chest was quite addicting.

She knew that Everett had not left since, just like how Ezra had not returned and was busily doing his job and other things he needed to do.

Vrylle woke up around seven when breakfast had just been delivered. Everett patiently spoon-fed her and only started to eat his own meal after she finished her porridge, fruits, and even her milk.

That's how attentive he was.

"I'm fine, Brother. It's just a little headache."

Vrylle was indeed really having a slight headache as she tried to remember the dream that kept blurring the more she tried to unravel its layers.

What was it that made her feel like she had forgotten and lost something?

"Father relayed a message that he'll send you home first. Will you be fine, Vy?"

"Hmm? Of course, I will be fine, Brother. Why wouldn't I?"

Something seemed wrong with Everett. From his facial expression and the tone of his voice, Vrylle could feel that he was hiding something from her. But Vrylle could catch almost anything by the tail with just a bit of prying. What's more, it became easier since it was Everett, her adorable brother.

"Vice Captain Rusty will escort you home. But your departure will be a secret. Vy, right now, things are still tricky so-"

"Brother, please, just get straight to the point, okay? You're not good with words."

Everett chuckled and gently ruffled his sister's hair.

Of course, he knew he was not good with words and knew how quick-witted his sister always was. In fact, Everett did not want to use a roundabout way either. It's just that he did not want her to feel sadder, more frightened, or more disappointed than she already was.

What his pitiful little sister had experienced in the Hunting Ground over the past several days was enough. That was why, although he was not good with words, Everett was trying his best to find appropriate ones to use as substitutes.

Unfortunately, just like his sister had said, Everett had to bite the bullet and tell her the truth without any kind of filter, knowing perfectly well that the words he was about to say would surely hurt Vrylle's feelings and make her mood chaotic, just like that time.

Still, Everett really couldn't bring himself to do it. He was definitely unwilling.

He spoiled and doted on Vrylle, along with their father. Subconsciously or instinctively, what Everett wanted to do was always what would benefit his sister, and the possibility of him changing was as slim as a stick.

Troubled, Everett was still thinking about how he should tell her and where to start.

"Still reluctant to answer, I see. Then, Brother, let me guess. Is Papa sending me away... to that place?"

An apologetic smile slowly spread across Everett's face, and that was enough for Vrylle to realize that she had indeed guessed it right.

Well, it was no big deal for her, though. However, if it's the Original Owner, Vrylle then understands why Everett was reluctant and contemplating how to tell her.

Remembering how spoiled the Oiginal was, of course, if Vrylle were in Everett's shoes, she might as well contemplate how to construct her words.

Vrylle was aware that even though there were few changes in her that she let them see, the deep-rooted impression of her family on the Original being spoiled to the left and stubborn to the right wouldn't be easily washed clean.

Theoretically speaking, it would take few more years to reconstruct such deep impressions.

A slow yet thorough process.

What's more, if memory serves Vrylle right, the Original didn't like to go to that place even just for a short visit, let alone live there. The tantrum the Original threw back then when Ezra said that he would send her to that place and live there only to come back for her coming-of-age was huge; it could cover the entire Estate.

It also lasted for a month, giving Ezra and Everett such a massive headache and numerous ways of coaxing just to ease her mood. They even resorted to promising her that such a topic would be the first and last.

Really, such a brat, you see.

"It's okay, Brother, I understand. I won't throw a tantrum like in the past. I'll be good and wait for you and Papa there obediently. I promise."

The Original really left such a huge debt on her tab.

"...R, Really, Vy?"

Vrylle felt incredulous watching Everett react as if the naughty child he raised miraculously became well-behaved and sensible in just a day of separation.

It was funny, yet pitiful at the same time.

"Really, really. So, Brother, rest assured. I will wait there for you and Papa to accompany me again, alright? No tantrum throwing."

A grateful smile bloomed on Everett's face, and he lovingly pinched Vrylle's nose. His previously depressed self now lightened up, looking refreshed as if he had finally passed a college entrance exam.

Everett really is adorable.

"You and Rusty will depart when everyone here is the busiest, and that's around noon. You also won't be traveling long and hard this time. I let Raison prepare everything, from the Transfer Scrolls to the potions. You'll arrive there fast, safe, and sound. That is what we assure."

Vrylle just smiled, indicating that she understood and believed them.

The siblings then talked about random topics to pass time afterward. Vrylle even asked Everett about Raison, simply because she wanted to invite Raison to join their conversation and make better use of the moment.

It was also to catch up.

However, Vrylle was also aware that Raison was doing his job as a Knight and couldn't just be chatting away, especially at this moment when everyone was dutifully doing their tasks.

Suppressing her selfishness, Vrylle continued to chat with Everett.

They chatted, laughed, and cherished this rare opportunity to be alone together. Both of them were busy with their own daily routines, you see. That even though they lived under the same roof and saw each other every day, if the siblings wanted to have some time to chat and strengthen their bond, they still had to free up their schedules to make time for each other.

Thus, Everett and Vrylle chatted contentedly as time passed unnoticed, and noon finally arrived.

"You ready, Vy? Let's go?"

"En. Ready."

Everett carried his sister in his arms, looking very warm with the way she was bundled up by him as they left the room. It was because he made his sister wear three layers of clothing to make sure she would remain warm during their journey.

Although Everett had said to Vrylle that Transfer Scrolls were prepared for them, which allowed them to teleport from one place to another and make the journey less hazardous, it would still take them more or less an hour or two to reach their destination.

Vrylle had just barely recovered from her fever, and it wasn't really good to let her travel yet. However, Ezra still chose to send her away rather than let her stay in this place, because just as Everett had said, things were still tricky at the moment.

No one knows when the next attack will be.

"We will follow soon. Wait for us there obediently, okay?"

Being an older brother, Everett had to reassure his sister, of course, to make her feel at ease. It was also a kind reminder to himself as well, a reminder that after things really ended, their family would be together.

"Okay, Brother."

As they finally reached the spot where the carriage was prepared, Everett gently settled Vrylle into her seat, making sure she would be comfortable.

The carriage they would be using looked ordinary from the outside, but once inside, the interior was calming, and the couch was soft and comfortable to sit on. Even though the road they would travel on later might be bumpy, Vrylle was sure that she wouldn't be tossed here and there and would remain stable and comfortable throughout the journey.

"Hmm...?"

Vrylle, who sat alone inside and softly hummed, was looking over Everett's shoulder as he stood at the entrance of the carriage door, searching and waiting for Ezra to show up. She was leaving now, so, of course, she wanted to see Ezra and bid him goodbye.

She bid goodbye to her brother and briefly exchanged words with Raison, who was standing beside Everett. Only her father was left.

However, as time continued to tick by, Ezra was still nowhere in sight. This made Vrylle wonder if he was that busy that he couldn't spare a minute to see her off.

Though Vrylle understands that what Ezra was handling right now was important, she could not help but feel a pang of sadness.

"Vy, you know, Father is-"

"En. I understand that Papa is busy. We will be going, then. Brother, Rai, be safe always, alright?"

After hearing their affirmative response, Vrylle closed the carriage door and knocked three times by the wall behind her.

Rusty, who was now acting as a coachman and dressed accordingly, heard the knock indicating that they should leave. He then immediately flicked the reins to urge the horse to start moving, and soon after, hooves resounded as the horse galloped onto the stretch of road.

They departed.

"Papa..."

Vrylle weakly leaned as she drew aside the curtain blocking the window and watched the scene outside.

The speed of the carriage was not fast, but it wasn't that slow either. In fact, the speed was just right for Vrylle to at least enjoy the scenery and lighten up her mood. Unfortunately, that little joy was immediately shattered when Phantom's voice rang in her ears.

[Congratulations, Host, for completing the following requirements in order to activate a Chain Mission (hidden):
- Enabled Ghost to create its own skill.
- Consecutively completed tasks.
- Sacrificed one's life for the Host.
- Were magnanimous to the enemy.
- Survived/escaped an intermediate-level danger.]

[The Chain Mission will commence in 90 days.]

What she heard in those moments instantly darkened Vrylle's eyes, especially when she heard about one of the hidden mission requirements involving someone's life being used to save hers.

"...Sacrificed?"

Images of Merida's demise and her sacrificial act replayed vividly, like a film, in Vrylle's memory, worsening her already unpleasant mood.

Chain Mission...

Vrylle did not expect to activate such a hidden mission, especially since it wasn't the usual type of mission she had completed before. By the name itself, it would be quite unique and had several sections she had to explore herself in order to complete, as well as providing her a new path to continue.

That would surely be interesting and all.

However, Vrylle was not elated about it. How could she be, knowing that one of the requirements she unintentionally fulfilled was sacrificing someone's life for her?

Specifically, sacrificing Merida's life?

Though Vrylle knew that this Chain Mission meant plenty of opportunities, a variety of opportunities, in fact, such as improving her strength, finding treasures, gaining vast experiences and knowledge, a certain guilt prevented her from looking forward to the day it would commence.

Ninety days. Plenty of time for Vrylle to mourn Merida's death until her fortieth day, which was her Babang Luksa.

She wonders if she will ever perform well afterwards.

Taking a deep breath, Vrylle withdrew her gaze from the scenery outside, as she seemed unable to enjoy it any longer. She could only lie on her side, using her arm as a pillow, and close her eyes.

Chain Mission.

Opportunity.

Reward.

Danger.

Phantom was indeed a tricky system. She could not communicate with it, only giving her prompts. Missions issued by Phantom could also only be triggered depending on the things happening around her.

In short, it goes like this:

The more chaotic her surroundings were, the higher the possibility of triggering a mission(s). With missions on her plate, the rewards were plentiful. Therefore, in order to obtain those rewards, which she may or may not know depending on whether Phantom prompts her before or after the mission, Vrylle had to engage in danger first.

The sweeter the rewards, the more lethal the poison they bear, of course.

But there were occasions when some missions issued by Phantom were the kind she couldn't, or more precisely, dared not neglect, forcing her to complete them. Otherwise, a consequence so heavy for Vrylle to shoulder would surely come pounce on her.

Vrylle had no power to reject a mission, whether its level of danger was only on easy mode. Vrylle also had a feeling that soon, a mission with a set time of completion would surely appear.

The pressure it holds for sure was not light.

"...Ninety days."

Three months could be a long or short time, depending on how Vrylle's life will unfold within that period.

While Vrylle was sinking deeper into her myriad of thoughts, she had not noticed that the carriage had started to pick up its pace and was moving quickly. She did not notice the change because the inside was peaceful and without any shaking, despite its speed.

It seemed that the carriage had become a cradle for Vrylle instead.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 38.9K 58
Princess Nymeria is well aware that her kingdom is in decline. It has been for hundreds of years after all. Unlike her ancestors, she's willing to re...
106K 4.1K 42
(This is not machine translated!) (Starts from chapter 241.) A guy in his late twenties one day wakes up in someone else's body and realises he's gon...
548K 17.7K 160
Genre: Space, Doting, Farming, Time travel, Healing Synopsis: Xu Linyue from the 21st century crossing over with the heavenly space soul penetration...
53.2K 4K 51
In their previous life, taehyung had been overweight. His face was covered in acne. Yet jungkook still forcefully ate him up. Exactly how much did h...