Exiled Princess: From the Pal...

By 0003min

Title: 流放前,王妃溜進皇宮搬空國庫 / Exiled Princess: From the Palace Heist to Becoming a Rich Madame Author: 風涼人暖 In the... More

Chapter 1-5
Chapter 6-10
Chapter 11-15
Chapter 16-20
Chapter 21-25
Chapter 26-30
Chapter 31-35
Chapter 36-40
Chapter 41-45
Chapter 46-50
Chapter 51-55
Chapter 56-60
Chapter 61-65
Chapter 66-70
Chapter 71-75
Chapter 76-80
Chapter 81-85
Chapter 86-90
Chapter 91-95
Chapter 96-100
Chapter 101-105
Chapter 106-110
Chapter 111-115
Chapter 116-120
Chapter 121-125
Chapter 126-130
Chapter 131-135
Chapter 136-140
Chapter 141-145
Chapter 146-150
Chapter 151-155
Chapter 156-160

Chapter 161-165

1K 12 3
By 0003min

Chapter 161: The Backyard of This "Wealthy Family" Is Quite Frightening

The news of the Zhou family's son marrying the Prime Minister's daughter quickly spread through the town.

After settling Jiang Qinian, Zhou Zexuan eagerly returned to his study to draft the divorce letter.

"Shen Yan, this is the divorce letter. Once you sign it, take your dowry and leave Zhou's residence."

"You don't need to worry about our son, he will be better off by Yao's side," Zhou Zexuan said as he placed the divorce letter on the table.

Madam Zhou watched the divorce letter on the table with a cold gaze, but she didn't make a scene.

She never imagined that the Prime Minister would marry her daughter to this married man.

Afraid that her daughter-in-law wouldn't agree to the divorce, Madam Zhou intended to persuade her.

After listening to her son's words, she said, "Yan'er, Xuan'er is right. For the sake of our son's future, just sign it!"

"How about this? As long as you obediently sign the divorce letter, I, as your mother, will decide to compensate you with the neighboring estate near Jizhou City and three hundred acres of fertile land. How does that sound?"

This way, it would also give the Zhou family a good reputation.

Zhou Zexuan hurriedly tugged at Madam Zhou's sleeve, "Mother, our family has only a thousand acres of fertile land, and you're giving her so much..."

What he meant was that she was giving her too much.

Shen Yan wasn't as happy as Madam Zhou had imagined, and she wasn't interested in the conditions she had laid out.

Under the current circumstances, returning to her parents' home would likely subject her to scorn...

Signing the divorce letter was acceptable. However, she needed to remain in the Zhou family under a different identity.

After much thought, Shen Yan knelt in front of Madam Zhou.

She held Madam Zhou's clothes and tearfully said, "Mother, I can sign the divorce letter, but I truly can't bear to leave you and our son."

"I don't want the estate, and I don't want the fertile land. I just want to stay by your side."

Madam Zhou looked at Shen Yan, who was in tears, and with red eyes, she helped her up.

"Good, Yan'er, please get up."

Ah, what a considerate daughter-in-law!

Since she had been married into the Zhou family, she had been quite well-behaved, and perhaps... letting her stay as a daughter might be better.

This way, there would be a considerate person by their side, and they could also save those fertile lands...

Thinking of this, Madam Zhou said with tears, "Your affection is deeply felt, Yan'er. Remember, even if you sign the divorce letter, you are still my daughter."

These words granted Shen Yan's wish.

"Mother, from now on, you are Yan'er's own mother." After she stood up, she hugged Madam Zhou and wept uncontrollably.

Zhou Zexuan, who stood on the side, was stunned by this scene.

He had a premonition that if Shen Yan stayed, he would have no good days ahead.

He cleared his throat and said hesitantly, "Mother, by doing this, Yao might..."

"Shut up!"

At this moment, Madam Zhou was like a protective and caring birth mother.

From an angle where others couldn't see, Shen Yan revealed a sly smile.

As long as she stayed at the Zhou residence, she had a chance to execute her plan step by step.

Madam Zhou wiped her tears and said, "Yan'er, after signing the divorce papers, move to my place!"

Before the Prime Minister's family departed, they wanted to inspect this "daughter" closely.

According to the Prime Minister's family, after the wedding, they would return to the capital immediately.

And they advised against extravagant celebrations.

Indeed, with the current drought in Jizhou and the mishandling of disaster relief supplies, it was better to keep things low-key!

Shen Yan released Madam Zhou, took out her handkerchief, and wiped away her tears.

She looked at the two divorce documents on the table and didn't hesitate, signing her name.

Zhou Zexuan picked up one of the divorce documents, glancing at Shen Yan with a cold expression. "Shen Yan, you can stay by your mother's side, but you can't cause any trouble."

"If you act out of line, I'll immediately kick you out of the Zhou residence."

Shen Yan didn't even spare a glance at Zhou Zexuan and instructed her maidservant, "Aqing, pack our things. We're moving to my mother's courtyard."

Upon hearing this, Madam Zhou couldn't stop laughing.

Perfect! It was truly a double blessing.

Xiao Er, who was hiding on the rooftop, overheard their entire conversation.

Tsk tsk! The backyard of this "big family" is quite terrifying, especially with this scheming Madam Zhou. Jiang Yunyao won't be a match for her.

In the future, the Zhou residence will see all sorts of domestic conflicts!

Hehe! He still needs to keep an eye on Jiang Qinian; he'll skip the drama.

...

As the night grew deeper, Xiao Chengjin lying in bed suddenly heard a secret signal from outside.

"Ruoruo, I'll be right back," Xiao Chengjin said, getting up.

When the guards in the courtyard saw Xiao Chengjin come out, they respectfully greeted him, "We greet the master."

"What's the matter?" Xiao Chengjin stood with his hands behind his back, exuding an air of nobility.

"Our people have already delivered the food to the estate outside the town, would you like to..."

Xiao Chengjin nodded, "You may leave."

"Understood."

After the guard swiftly departed, Xiao Chengjin returned to his room.

"Ruoruo, tonight, let's store that food away to prevent Jiang Qinian from finding out."

Upon hearing this, Jiang Ru couldn't stop smiling and got out of bed, "Your subordinates are quite efficient."

Xiao Chengjin heard this and gave a proud hum, "Ru, what do you mean by 'my subordinates'?"

"As long as you give orders, they all obey you."

Jiang Ru circled Xiao Chengjin's neck, leaned in to plant a kiss on the corner of his lips, and said with a playful smile, "Aren't you afraid I'll lead them in a rebellion?"

Xiao Chengjin, looking at her with a darkening gaze, reached out to cup the back of her head and slowly approached. "If you lead a rebellion successfully, Ru, you'll be the only queen."

As their breaths intertwined, Jiang Ru was weakened by Xiao Chengjin's actions.

Ah, this man could easily take the "dominant CEO" route, but he insists on the "fresh young man" route.

On such an enchanting night, initiating an intimate encounter, and then this and that...

No, it seems too improper.

Xiao Chengjin sensed Jiang Ru's lack of enthusiasm and deepened the kiss.

After a lingering, passionate kiss, Xiao Chengjin released Jiang Ru with flushed cheeks.

"Ru, focus better next time." With that, Xiao Chengjin left the room.

Jiang Ru watched Xiao Chengjin's retreating figure and raised her fist.

You coward, what are you running for?

If you have the guts, why not just take me down!

Chapter 162: His Lordship, the Prime Minister, Is Ruthless and Ambitious

The Zhou residence.

Because of the upcoming celebration, all the servants worked late into the night before retiring.

Madam Zhou looked at the bridal chambers adorned in crimson silk and nodded in satisfaction.

Although they couldn't be too extravagant, this wedding had to be done with some elegance.

With these thoughts in mind, Madam Zhou happily returned to the courtyard.

In another courtyard.

Zhou Matron knelt on the ground, nervously recounting everything she had experienced on the way to Jizhou to Jiang Qinian.

After hearing her, Jiang Qinian's face turned ashen with anger.

What was wrong with this Yao'er?

Ever since waking up injured in the teahouse, she had been doing foolish things.

"Zhou Matron, I will return to the capital to report in a few days, and I'll leave Yao'er in your care. If she does anything foolish again, write to inform me."

Zhou Matron turned her eyes and said, "Your Lordship, Miss Yao secretly left the capital this time, and it has been a while..."

Jiang Qinian snorted, "I will handle this matter personally. You can rest easy in Jizhou."

"In the future, you'll be rewarded."

Hearing Jiang Qinian's words, Zhou Matron's eyes flashed with a hint of calculation. "Your Lordship, I have no other requests. I only hope that, after you return to the capital next time, you can free my son from servitude in the Pei residence."

His Lordship, the Prime Minister, was ruthless and quite ambitious.

If she hadn't guessed wrong, he was having Miss Yao spy on Xiao Chengjin!

Jiang Qinian glanced disdainfully at Zhou Matron kneeling before him. "Very well, I agree."

A shrewd servant, she hadn't done anything yet, but she was already dreaming of escaping servitude.

Satisfied with the answer, Zhou Matron's face brimmed with joy. "I thank Your Lordship."

Once she was free from servitude, she could buy herself some maidservants to attend to her.

Jiang Qinian pinched his aching forehead and said in a cold tone, "Zhou Matron, you may leave."

"Your servant takes her leave." Zhou Matron hastily rose, her mood full of delight as she left Jiang Qinian's courtyard.

Humph! Once she completed this mission, she could become a mistress herself.

...

Zhou Yuanwai, hiding outside Jiang Qinian's courtyard, joyfully left only after he saw the lights in his room go out.

Ah, the Zhou family was definitely riding a wave of good luck!

Zhou Yuanwai, who couldn't sleep, headed to Madam Zhou's courtyard.

Inside the room.

Zhou Yuanwai spoke with an unusually mild tone he had never used before. "Madam, since His Lordship, the Prime Minister, is willing to marry his beloved daughter to our Xuan, it means he trusts our Zhou family."

"All those treasures of ours..."

"Sir, those treasures can't be revealed for now. After all, we'll need them for various expenses when we go to the capital." Madam Zhou spoke with a calculating look in her eyes.

In their town, the Zhou family was considered wealthy, but in a bustling, opulent place like the capital, they would be insignificant.

Zhou Yuanwai nodded upon hearing this.

"Madam, recently, the income from our few businesses has been limited, His Lordship the Prime Minister needs supplements for his recovery, and Xuan is getting married. The funds in our small treasury might not be enough for all these expenses."

"You should rest early. I'll go check the secret chamber and take out some spare funds."

Zhou Yuanwai said and then left Madam Zhou's courtyard.

Madam Zhou watched Zhou Yuanwai's departing figure and sighed.

He hadn't done much yet and was already digging into their reserves.

Originally, she thought they could make a profit during the drought, but they ended up losing the disaster relief supplies.

Zhou Yuanwai returned to his room, pocketed the key ring, and took a servant with him. Under the moonlight, they headed towards the Zhou family granary.

The servant expressed, "With this unexpected celebration, no one is getting any sleep."

Jiang Ruoruo and Xiao Chengjin, who had gone to collect the grain outside the town, watched Zhou Yuanwai and his servant come out of the Zhou residence and quickly stepped aside.

"Hey, that person seems to be Zhou Yuanwai. Why are they going out so late in the night?" Jiang Ruoruo said, tugging at Xiao Chengjin's sleeve.

Xiao Chengjin glanced in the direction Zhou Yuanwai was heading and replied in a hushed voice, "Ruoruo, it looks like they're going to the granary."

"The granary?"

"Do you think he's heading to the secret chamber?" Jiang Ruoruo said, grinning mischievously after speaking.

Only then did Xiao Chengjin realize that Ruoruo had already emptied the Zhou family's secret chamber some time ago.

He took Jiang Ruoruo's hand and said, "Ruoruo, let's follow them."

"Okay!"

The two of them held hands and quietly followed behind Zhou Yuanwai.

Ever since the grain disappeared from the Zhou family granary, Zhou Yuanwai had checked the secret chamber secretly.

Knowing that all the possessions in the secret chamber were still there, he hadn't returned to this heartbreaking place.

Zhou Yuanwai sighed as he arrived at the Zhou family granary, took out the key, and opened the door.

He took the lantern from the servant's hand, his expression unusually solemn. "You stay here and guard the door. I'll be back soon."

"Sir, don't worry, I'll guard the door."

After nodding and bowing, the servant muttered to himself, "The grain in the granary is already gone. What are they looking for?"

Jiang Ruoruo and Xiao Chengjin leaped onto the roof, wearing wicked smiles as they watched Zhou Yuanwai unlock the door with a string of keys.

Haha, if he didn't put so many locks on it, we wouldn't have taken an interest in his secret chamber.

Just like before, Zhou Yuanwai entered the room and lit the candles on the wall.

For some reason, he had felt uneasy ever since he stepped into the room.

"I must be overthinking this," Zhou Yuanwai mumbled to himself before turning to the painting.

He began chanting auspicious words before turning the mechanism for the secret chamber.

The family's fortune, as long as they lived in town, would last several lifetimes with what was stored in there.

As people rise to higher places, their state of mind changes...

After opening the secret chamber door, Zhou Yuanwai entered the room in the dark.

He shakily lit the candles with trembling hands, trying to calm his nerves.

As the candlelight gradually brightened, the empty secret chamber came into view.

He suddenly felt his world spinning, and he collapsed on the ground...

Where was the wealth in the secret chamber?

How could it have disappeared?

The last time he checked, everything was still there.

What on earth was happening?

Zhou Yuanwai covered his mouth, terrified of screaming out.

Only three people knew about the secret chamber, so it couldn't be his son's doing...

No, although his son was a womanizer, he would never dare do such a thing behind his back.

The granary had been robbed, and now the secret chamber was empty... It was evident that the Zhou family was under surveillance.

At this thought, Zhou Yuanwai was so angry he nearly spat out blood.

These thieves had gone too far.

Besides, the Zhou family hadn't offended anyone recently!

Zhou Yuanwai suppressed the nauseating feeling in his throat and tried to calm down.

On the roof, Jiang Ruoruo watched the door intently. She whispered in a hushed voice, "Xiao Chengjin, he's been inside for so long. Why hasn't there been any movement...?"

"I'll go check; he wouldn't dare faint at this crucial moment," Xiao Chengjin said with a sneer.

"If people find out that his family's wealth has been stolen, how will he remain the wealthiest man in town?"

Zhou Yuanwai had done some unsavory things when he was younger, and this ill-gotten wealth didn't belong to the Zhou family.

Let Ruoruo use it for a good cause!

After listening to Xiao Chengjin, Jiang Ruoruo found his reasoning to be quite sound.

She cheerfully said, "Let's go back and get some sleep, hehe!"

The two of them jumped from the rooftop and returned directly to Jiang's grain store.

...

A long time later, Zhou Yuanwai, trembling, climbed up from the ground.

He extinguished the candles in the secret chamber, and his face was ashen as he walked out.

Looking at the painting that was supposed to "bring in wealth," Zhou Yuanwai gritted his teeth and tore it to shreds.

What kind of "bringing in wealth"?

It was practically leaking wealth.

He should have buried those possessions in his own courtyard.

Now, he had been quietly cleaned out...

Chapter 163: She's Dead, and I Still Have a Chance

The servant waiting outside paced back and forth, concerned about why Master Zhou hadn't come out yet. Could something significant have happened?

Zhou Yuanwai wiped away his tears as he walked out of the room, his anger palpable. He angrily threw the keys on the ground.

What was the point of locking it all up? The secret chamber couldn't even keep thieves at bay.

The servant watched the furious Zhou Yuanwai and quickly retreated to the side.

Uh-oh, Master is furious.

Zhou Yuanwai stumbled to the front door, shouting in frustration, "Lock the door!"

"Yes, Master," the servant hurriedly locked the door, following closely behind Zhou Yuanwai, nervously.

Zhou Yuanwai hurried back to the Zhou residence, going straight to Madam Zhou's courtyard.

This matter had to be explained clearly to prevent future boasting that couldn't be upheld.

Knock, knock!

Madam Zhou, who had already gone to bed, heard the urgent knocking and quickly got up.

After opening the door, she asked unhappily, "What's going on?"

"Madam, something terrible has happened. All the wealth from our secret chamber is gone." Zhou Yuanwai said in a daze, wiping away his tears.

"What? The wealth from the secret chamber..." Madam Zhou couldn't even finish her sentence before her eyes rolled back, and she fainted to the ground.

"Madam, wake up!" Zhou Yuanwai called for the maids who had rushed over from the side rooms and quickly had Madam Zhou lifted onto the bed.

"You go call a doctor, quickly."

"Yes, Master." The maid rubbed her groggy eyes and dashed out.

Shen Yan, who had gone to relieve himself in the middle of the night, had discreetly hidden to the side when Zhou Yuanwai knocked on the door. It was only when he heard the words "secret chamber" that he realized the Zhou family had a dedicated room for storing their wealth.

How dare they hide this from her?

Serves them right!

From his seat at the table, Zhou Yuanwai watched the physician, looking dazed and perplexed, rushing around.

Sigh, ever since the theft in the granary, doctors had moved into their Zhou residence.

When would this end?

Well, they would use their son's wedding as an opportunity for...

The next day, thanks to the deliberate spreading of information by Zhou Zexuan, news of the Zhou residence hosting a wedding reached every corner of the town.

This made Zhou Zexuan's group of friends, who were equally profligate, extremely jealous.

They were all philanderers, but Zhou Zexuan managed to marry the Prime Minister's daughter. Was it because his family was the wealthiest?

Envy aside, they had to suck up to the Prime Minister's son-in-law, just in case he achieved great things in the future.

Who knows, perhaps they could bask in his glory someday.

For a while, the Zhou residence was bustling with activity.

Meanwhile, Jiang Ruoruo and Xiao Chengjin strolled down the main street.

Listening to the hushed conversations of the townspeople, Jiang Ruoruo smirked. "There seem to be a lot of both good and bad happenings at the Zhou residence lately."

Xiao Chengjin responded with a dissatisfied huff, "Ruoruo, I don't want to stay in this town any longer. Let's go back to the village!"

What's so great about organizing weddings? Men who abandon their wives and children are scoundrels.

But deep inside, he thought, I'd love to have a wedding too.

Jiang Ruoruo watched Xiao Chengjin's envious expression and teased, "You better remember this, you owe me a grand wedding. The kind of wedding that will be known by all the people in the Great Yan Dynasty, understand?"

Xiao Chengjin blushed slightly, "Alright, I'll give you a splendid wedding."

Well, it's time to start preparing from now on!

The two returned to the grain store and arranged the carriage with the shopkeeper's help.

After preparing the carriage, the shopkeeper looked around...

Hey, where did the young master's personal servant go?

That guy is truly unreliable!

The shopkeeper brought out the stool to load into the carriage and scratched his head. "Young Master, I'll handle the carriage."

Xiao Chengjin took the reins, his handsome face cold. "I can manage the carriage myself. You go back to work!"

"Understood." The shopkeeper sneaked a glance at Xiao Chengjin, who was exuding cold air, and hurriedly returned to the grain store.

"Ruoruo, let's go!" Xiao Chengjin helped Jiang Ruoruo into the carriage.

Jiang Ruoruo chuckled. "We'll drive together."

As the two of them left in the carriage, the onlookers couldn't help but stare.

As they passed by the Zhou residence, Jiang Yuanyao and Zhou Zexuan happened to be leaving the house together.

At that moment, Xiao Chengjin was describing his favorite dishes to Jiang Ruoruo. "Ruoruo, I want to eat the spicy fish you make, and the grilled meat."

Jiang Ruoruo pinched Xiao Chengjin's cheek. "Sure, I'll make them for you when we get home."

The two chatted without noticing Jiang Yuanyao leaving the Zhou residence.

Jiang Yuanyao watched the carriage of Jiang Ruoruo and Xiao Chengjin pass by, and she was momentarily stunned. Then, a flash of envy crossed her eyes.

Ruoruo, are you really enjoying this?

Are you enjoying the show I'm giving you?

Hmph! I'm going to stay in Jizhou and watch you... suffer.

Jiang Yuanyao stared at the carriage, her haggard face contorting.

Following the path of her past life, Jiang Ruoruo would die.

If she died, there would be a chance for herself.

As long as Father brought back the Disguise Pill, she could change her identity and return to the capital...

Zhou Zexuan, who saw the carriage passing by, raised an eyebrow.

Hey! Isn't this the owner of Jiang's Grain Store?

He held Jiang Yuanyao's waist and said, "Yao'er, it's getting late, and we still need to order our wedding attire..."

Jiang Yuanyao was brought back to reality by Zhou Zexuan's voice.

Seeing the strange gazes of the townspeople around her, the anger she had suppressed surged...

Ignoring the occasion, she pushed Zhou Zexuan away and shouted, "Zhou Zexuan, get away from me!"

Zhou Zexuan, who had been pushed, felt a surge of anger but wore a smile on his face. "Yao'er, don't make a scene. Don't let people laugh at you."

So vulgar and unrefined.

I truly doubt you're the Prime Minister's daughter.

Chapter 164: A Few Gossips in the Village Are Normal

Huaxi Village.

Jiang Ruoruo and Xiao Chengjin drove their carriage, laughing and chatting as they returned to Huaxi Village.

At the moment they appeared, the young girls and married women who were gossiping together instantly ran back to their homes in fear.

Jiang Ruoruo: "..."

Don't run away! We're not wolves or tigers.

We're all from the same village; at least get to know us a little.

By the way, since coming to the village, we haven't really gotten to know many people!

Sigh, I've been too busy; I haven't even had time to make friends.

Xiao Chengjin watched the women fleeing and smirked with satisfaction.

The old man's medical skills are truly amazing, curing "illness" on sight!

Humph! You're showing good judgment by not looking at us.

Jiang Ruoruo looked at Xiao Chengjin with a vexed expression and examined his face a few times. "Your looks haven't diminished at all!"

"Why don't those young girls and young women like to look at me?"

Hearing Jiang Ruoruo's words, Xiao Chengjin's smile froze on his lips.

Ruoruo, I'm not some flower peacock you can casually admire!

"Ruoruo, if any of them dare to look at me, I'll gouge out their eyeballs," Xiao Chengjin said with a mischievous smile.

Jiang Ruoruo, looking at Xiao Chengjin's expression, quickly leaned in and lightly kissed him, acting coy. "Hehe! Then I'll keep you hidden at home, and I'll look for myself."

Xiao Chengjin let out an arrogant little snort. "That's more like it."

While the two were talking, Wang Shi, the village gossip, came up to them and stopped their carriage. "Hey, isn't this Lord Xiao and Lady Xiao? It feels like I haven't seen you in a long time."

Jiang Ruoruo pulled on the reins and looked at the obsequious Wang Shi. She teased, "Indeed, it's been a while."

"What's that? Do you miss us?" she added playfully.

Haha, her wounds have healed quite well.

Wang Shi awkwardly smiled. "Well, I was just wondering if you need any help at the grain store. My daughter is strong..."

Xiao Chengjin cast a glance at Wang Shi and said coldly, "The grain store doesn't need any workers, especially not female ones."

"Ruoruo, let's go!" Xiao Chengjin took the reins from Jiang Ruoruo and drove the carriage away.

Wang Shi watched the departing carriage and muttered disdainfully, "Why so haughty? They only run a few shabby grain stores."

"Even if you begged us to work for you, we wouldn't!"

After uttering these words, Wang Shi left in a huff.

Jiang Ruoruo: Good, you've got some spirit, lady.

Hearing Wang Shi's words, Xiao Chengjin was left fuming. "Ruoruo, do you think she needs a lesson?"

"She's the village's busybody. I heard she's been dealt with by the villagers many times, but she never learns."

"Besides, this is real country life, where everyone has their say." Jiang Ruoruo smiled with a twinkle in her eyes.

Hehe! A few gossips in the village are perfectly normal!

Xiao Chengjin smirked and chose not to reply.

After all, this village's "intrigue" was just petty squabbling, quite different from the cutthroat politics of the capital.

To be honest, during this time in Jizhou, he was quite fond of this place.

Spending time with the person he loved, doing things they enjoyed together...

He better cherish these days in Jizhou!

The carriage arrived at their home, and Jiang Ruoruo hopped off. "Old man, uncle, we're back."

Nangong Yi came out with a hearty laugh. "We're grilling meat; your timing is perfect."

"Really? That's wonderful."

"I'll make some spicy fish." Jiang Ruoruo went into the kitchen, released two fish from her spatial storage, and started cooking.

Dong Xue, a winter girl, cheerfully said, "Master, let me make the spicy fish. You can take a break."

The small courtyard instantly became lively.

Xiao Chengjin, after handing the carriage over to the guards, casually entered the courtyard.

Observing the harmonious scene, a fleeting memory raced through his mind.

One day in his childhood, his father had entered the empress's chamber, laughing heartily. His mother had also come out, beaming with joy, to welcome him. She had ordered the maids to prepare the emperor's favorite dishes. Those must have been the happiest moments for his mother...

After Jiang Ruoruo came out of the kitchen, she saw Xiao Chengjin lost in thought and quickly approached. "Xiao Chengjin, what's wrong with you?"

"Uh, you're not... missing your father and mother, are you?" Jiang Ruoruo watched Xiao Chengjin's slightly reddened eyes and asked cautiously.

Xiao Chengjin, looking like a big puppy wronged, said, "Ruoruo, I just suddenly started missing them."

"It's alright; we can go see them in a few days," Jiang Ruoruo said and took a handkerchief to wipe the corner of Xiao Chengjin's eye.

Steward Lin and a few others watched Xiao Chengjin secretly, thinking, "Since the lord woke up, he's become very delicate, probably due to some lingering effects of the attack!"

Tsk tsk! Crying children always find comfort.

At Zhou Residence.

Due to the incident of stolen goods in the secret room, the Zhou family's joyous occasions didn't feel very joyful.

Zhou Lao Furen had tried her best not to dwell on those distressing matters ever since she woke up.

Without those hidden treasures, what was Zhou's claim to being the richest?

Zhou Lao Furen looked at Jiang Yunyao, who always had a miserable look on her face, and couldn't help but frown.

Marrying a woman like her into the Zhou family would surely bring trouble.

An ominous star!

Shen Yan looked at Zhou Lao Furen, whose complexion wasn't great, and kindly asked, "Madam, are you feeling unwell?"

"Yan'er, Mother is fine. Would you please help me back to my room for a rest?"

Jiang Yunyao watched the "mother and daughter" leaving, her lips curving with a sinister arc.

"Madam Zhou, let's go to Father's courtyard."

Madam Zhou, upon seeing Jiang Yunyao's eerie smile, lowered her eyebrows. "Yes, Miss."

Let's avoid provoking this lunatic in the future!

At this moment, Jiang Qinian was discussing the issue of lost disaster relief grain with Feng Yi.

As the leader of the team escorting disaster relief grain, Feng Yi naturally feared being implicated in the matter.

He hadn't been idle while in town and had secretly inquired about the grain store's grain loss.

Oddly enough, the owners of the grain stores didn't seem as angry as expected. The most common response was: "Misfortune brings fortune."

Feng Yijiang! They won't need to worry after they head back to the capital, will they?

As they talked, Jiang Yunyao watched him from the door.

"Your Excellency, let's report the loss of disaster relief grain truthfully to the Emperor when we return to the capital. Also, what are our plans for returning to the capital?"

Jiang Qinian rubbed his slightly aching temples and said somewhat awkwardly, "Vice Commander Feng, once my daughter's marriage is complete, we'll return to the capital."

Hearing this, Feng Yijiang nodded. "Your Excellency, please rest well. I'll take my leave."

They would be able to return to the capital in two days.

By the time they got back to the capital, hadn't the Crown Prince probably already completed his marriage?

Jiang Yunyao watched Feng Yi depart before slowly entering Jiang Qinian's courtyard.

Once inside, Jiang Yunyao slightly bowed and said, "Daughter pays respects to Father."

Jiang Qinian, looking at Jiang Yunyao's body filled with anger, sternly shouted, "Yunyao, look at yourself now. You're no different from a lunatic."

Hearing Jiang Qinian's reprimand, Jiang Yunyao shrank back.

"Father, Yunyao will obediently stay in Jizhou."

"But Yunyao also has a request, and that is, you must find the 'Appearance-changing Elixir' for Yunyao."

After speaking, Jiang Yunyao, with a crazed and infatuated expression, fantasized about the "Appearance-changing Elixir" in her mind.

When Jiang Qinian heard "Appearance-changing Elixir," his eyes flickered slightly.

He knew that his daughter's mental state was deteriorating.

"Very well, after we return to the capital, I'll send people to secretly search for the 'Appearance-changing Elixir.' Before that, it's best for you not to cause trouble."

With a satisfactory answer, an eerie smile appeared on Jiang Yunyao's face.

She bent slightly toward Jiang Qinian and calmly said, "I take my leave, Father."

Jiang Qinian watched her back as she left and sighed softly.

Yunyao, don't blame your father for being ruthless.

Going from a poor scholar to a top scholar, and then to a prime minister, your father's journey hasn't been easy.

Chapter 165: What about the Exile? Still Living Happily Ever After

Two days later.

The Zhou residence was adorned with decorations, and the simple wedding went ahead as scheduled.

Upon hearing the news, Fan Qiyun sent a "congratulatory gift" delivered by court officials.

The court official rode up to the Zhou residence and handed the gift box directly to the servants at the entrance.

"This is a congratulatory gift prepared by my lord for Miss Jiang!"

The servant's smile froze on his lips. He took the gift box from the court official and managed to smile again, "Please, sir, come inside."

The court official waved his hand, solemnly replying, "I have important matters to attend to, so I won't go inside."

In the gift box was a congratulatory message personally written by my lord; it's quite a bargain for your Zhou residence.

Once the servant saw the court official leave, he scrutinized the gift box again.

He thought slyly: Could it be that the gift box contains money?

At sunset.

Jiang Qinian sat in the main seat, glancing outside from time to time.

He felt that if Xiao Chengjin intended to reclaim that position, he would use this opportunity to mend ties with him. Although he didn't hold military power, most civil officials in the court would follow his orders.

With Xiao Chengjin on that seat and his people standing behind him, things would go smoothly.

Hua Xi Village.

Jiang Ruoruo sat not far from home, already bonding with the village women.

Under Xiao Chengjin's indulgent gaze, Jiang Ruoruo talked non-stop, and the women listened, occasionally bursting into laughter.

Xiao Chengjin was afraid that Jiang Ruoruo might get thirsty, so he sat on the side and poured her tea.

In his heart, he complained: These village women can be so noisy.

The noisy women now looked at Jiang Ruoruo with hopeful eyes, "Madam Xiao, after you finish your tea, please continue telling us the story."

Haha, this Madam Xiao is really interesting.

Xiao Chengjin glanced at the sun, which was about to set, and tugged at Jiang Ruoruo's sleeve, "Ruoruo, the sun is setting, let's continue chatting tomorrow."

Jiang Ruoruo put down her teacup, waved her hand, and said, "Ladies, go home and prepare dinner. We'll continue tomorrow."

Hearing this, the women realized it was getting late, "Sir and Madam Xiao, we apologize for keeping you from your dinner."

"We'll meet again tomorrow!"

Jiang Ruoruo watched the women leave and suddenly felt like something was missing from this gathering.

Eating melon seeds while chatting...

Right, the space contains sunflower seeds. I'll plant them when I get back tonight.

There are many high-quality seeds in the space that don't exist in this world. Buying land and cultivating it isn't an option...

Oh well, I'll start nurturing various high-quality seeds in the space for future use.

Xiao Chengjin leaned in and lightly nibbled on Jiang Ruoruo's red lips, "Ruoruo, what are you thinking? Mmm~"

"Ouch! Are you a dog?" Jiang Ruoruo said coquettishly.

Xiao Chengjin's ears reddened slightly, and he instructed Dong Xue, "Take the teapot back."

"Yes, master," Dong Xue replied, giving a displeased look to Xiao Chengjin. She picked up the tray and headed back inside.

Xiao Chengjin watched Dong Xue's departing figure with satisfaction and let out a faint hum.

He took Jiang Ruoruo's hand and whispered, "Ruoruo, let's go watch the sunset."

Jiang Ruoruo, looking at his proud and handsome face, smiled, "Sure!"

Dong Xue, watching the scene of Jiang Ruoruo and Xiao Chengjin walking hand in hand toward the setting sun, had slightly red eyes.

What about the exile? They're still living happily.

Oh, all that's missing is a little master.

The Zhou residence.

Jiang Qinian, observing the darkening sky, knew that Xiao Chengjin and Jiang Ruoruo weren't coming.

He sat there with a stern face.

Some rich families who wanted to cozy up to him saw his displeasure and discreetly withdrew.

Tsk tsk! The Prime Minister is not that easy to win over.

Zhou Zexuan, dressed in bright red wedding attire, couldn't stop smiling.

Especially when he saw the envious gazes of his friends, Zhou Zexuan felt like he had reached the pinnacle of his life.

With the support of his father-in-law, it was indeed a different story.

Jiang Yuanyao, dressed in bridal attire, walked out leisurely with Zhou Pozi's assistance.

Her expression beneath the red wedding veil was emotionless, her eyes vacant.

She allowed Zhou Pozi to guide her to the wedding stage.

When Zhou Zexuan saw Jiang Yuanyao appear, he hurriedly walked up and took her hand.

"Ruoruo, you look so beautiful in your wedding dress," Zhou Zexuan said, pinching Jiang Yuanyao's hand as a warning not to cause any trouble.

Jiang Yuanyao appeared unresponsive, but in her mind, another picture was forming.

One day in the future, she would be adorned in bridal attire, standing beside the emperor, for her ten-mile wedding...

The master of ceremonies, observing Zhou Zexuan's triumphant expression, couldn't help but think: Who could have imagined that this spoiled young master had such a fortunate life.

With the new couple in place, it was time for the master of ceremonies to step in.

He surveyed the crowd and loudly announced, "The auspicious moment has arrived!"

"One bow to heaven and earth..."

The Zhou family's couple, however, didn't seem as happy as everyone expected.

Both of them forced smiles on their faces.

Shen Yan, hiding in the shadows, looked at Zhou Zexuan's smug appearance and gnashed her teeth in hatred.

Hmph! Tonight, she'd pawn off her dowry.

Without those family assets, let's see how your Zhou family can support this precious young lady.

"Completion of the ceremony, take them to the bridal chamber."

Zhou Zexuan gazed happily at Jiang Yuanyao in front of him and whispered, "Ruoruo, you go to the bridal chamber and wait for me. I'll be back soon."

When Jiang Yuanyao was kneeling on the ground, listening to Zhou Zexuan's words, she finally woke up from her daydream.

Now, she listened to Zhou Pozi's assistance and headed to the bridal chamber.

Wait for you in the bridal chamber?

You think you're worthy!

Due to the drought, several banquet tables looked somewhat meager.

Apart from a couple of meat dishes, drinks, and a few types of pastries, there wasn't much on the dining table.

Zhou Zexuan approached Jiang Qinian's table and said joyfully, "Father-in-law, rest assured, your son-in-law will take good care of Ruoruo."

In order to intimidate the Zhou family, Jiang Qinian put on a stern expression. "It's best to do so; otherwise, the Prime Minister will..."

Well, since it's a day of joy, I won't say those inauspicious words.

Amid the envious gazes of the crowd, Jiang Qinian offered some blessings and then walked gloomily toward the courtyard.

He was thinking: The reason why Jiang Ruoruo didn't come is surely related to the severance of the father-daughter relationship. So, before returning to the capital, it's essential to have a conversation with Xiao Chengjin and Jiang Ruoruo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 929 61
Just like how two shores of sea can never meet, they can never meet too, might be physically but never mentally. The other shore is too far to even t...
JUNOON || جنون By Ira

Historical Fiction

23.2K 1.2K 26
An arranged marriage between two contrasting yet similar people. Will it work? Urwa Shah A nineteen year old girl filled with dreams. A strict father...
10.3M 767K 88
Marriage had always been my dream but not to a man about whom I know nothing. The moment my father fixed an alliance of me to a Prince without even t...
352K 66.5K 12
Everything changed the day the King ordered me to seduce his son and bring him back to the Kingdom. He was my best friend. As per the order of things...