Sweet Love (NG5)

Oleh pseudoannie

(Complete) After decades, it's the end of an era on The Point. Change is inevitable and Will Drake doesn't li... Lebih Banyak

Sweet Love
1 - No Hailey
2 - Virginia
3 - Family
4 - Home
5 - Secret
6 - The best two
7 - Nick
8 - Duty
9 - Spring break
10 - Rumors
11 - Kitty Kat
12 - Pops
13 - The Point
14 - Her dream
15 - Blacklisted
16 - Maine
17 - Retired
18 - The same
19 - New boss
20 - Change
21 - Secrets
22 - New
23 - Double agent
25 - Offense
26 - Limited
27 - Vacation
28 - Friends
29 - Chef to chef
30 - Womb mate
31 - Just friends
32 - Happiness
33 - Again
34 - Self centered
35 - For good
36 - Merry Christmas
37 - Tickets
38 - No secrets
39 - BFF
40 - Number four
41 - Tequila
42 - Chef
43 - Break
44 - Now
45 - Love
46 - Timing
47 - Yelp
48 - Venti
49 - Helpless
50 - Team
51 - Blah, blah, blah
52 - Commencement
53 - Favor
54 - After all
55 - Everyone
56 - Can't
57 - March

24 - The man

663 125 37
Oleh pseudoannie

Kat's first week had been full of ups and downs. In fact, it felt like a month not six days. She was excited about the coffeehouse, until the invisaboss emailed going back on his agreement for the porch. Not back completely, but he wanted a commitment from her. A guarantee she would stay for eighteen months. Without a baker, the investment would be a waste. A valid point, but they could hire another baker.

When she called earlier in the week, her parents were encouraging her to come home. The problems which led her to accept the job hadn't changed. There were no jobs for her in Boston, and living with her parents wasn't an option. She hadn't watched a cartoon since she arrived in Maine.

The thing that upset her the most was the invisible part. Someone was spying on her. Also in the ultimatum email, the man demanded Rick and Alice receive free coffee. Not demanded, but didn't ask either. The group of men had discussed the courtesy for the former owner. One of those older guys must be the investor, maybe even more than one. She liked John Harris, but thought of him as a narc. One minute it was stop advertising the entertainment and the next it was give free coffee. Even Nick made her feel like a fool over the latte machine. He didn't mean to. Perhaps she should give a few demands of her own if she were to agree to a year and a half. A latte machine might have her out on her ass, if not it certainly wouldn't help her fit in with the locals. It was unanimous, just coffee.

Refusing to respond in haste, she convinced herself to enjoy the evening. A stream of excitement coursed through her at the thought of cooking again. She had never worked a traditional job, but most business people took the weekend off. She wished the man would take a long vacation and leave her alone.

There wasn't a lull between breakfast and lunch on Saturday. Kat worked with only a brief break in the afternoon when Nick and Ivy held down the fort. She wished she had a chalkboard and good handwriting, but she would have to settle for a printed sign.

Kat's Pesto Pasta $16

Add chicken $5

Add shrimp $8

Add lobster $10

While supplies last.

She purchased nice disposable plates to serve it on, along with an Asiago breadstick. Once she had the equipment, she could bake her own.

When she brought the menu down, Nick and Ivy were laughing. Hopefully, not at her. "I want to talk about tonight. You can rotate between the board and register. I'll be busy cooking." With a broad smile, she held up the paper."

The two looked at each other and Ivy smiled first. "We should post this."

Kat shook her head. "We got in trouble for the last post about tonight."

Nick frowned. "It's always a full house without advertising, even in January."

"Are you going to tell me people won't appreciate a proper meal tonight?"

"No, they will. I think it's a great idea. Let's hope invisaboss agrees."

"Do you know who he is?" She eyes each of them.

They shook their heads. "I wish. My investigation has turned up nothing." Nick shrugged.

Ivy laughed. "He's not giving up."

Kat smiled. "Let me know when you figure it out."

"Maybe it's Trista Montgomery. She stayed at the inn and came over for a lobster roll and coffee. Then she wrote about it in an article for Beantown Magazine on weekend trips near Boston.

Sadness filled Kat, her restaurant closed before Trista had a chance to visit. In Boston, a Montgomery review could make or break a career. Kat broke hers by choosing the wrong business partner and lover. Recovering, she said, "I doubt Ms. Montgomery buys up businesses. It must be someone local. There was a tall man I hadn't seen before. Will knew him."

Ivy snickered. "Did he look anything like Will?"

Kat drew her eyes in. "Maybe."

Nick nodded. "Dr. Drake."

Ivy added, "Will Senior. I noticed the car in their driveway. It's exciting when weekend visits start."

"By Memorial weekend, everyone will be back. We both need Saturday off that weekend."

"Both of you!"

Nick nodded. "Don't worry it won't be too busy."

"Why? If everyone is back?"

"Because our mothers throw a huge party. They've been holding it for years. You might get a small rush if it's a good beach day."

Kat's head spun. Every time she turned around she learned something new. "What else don't I know?"

"Fourth of July is the opposite. The beach is crammed and everyone wants to eat."

Kat's mind raced to entrees for Independence Day. If she had an oven, she would serve baked chicken and salads. Salads. She could add some salads to the menu anytime. Pasta salad as a side and something other than the chef salad on the menu. Maybe she could feature a salad during lunch one day a week to start. Which day was the slowest? Perhaps the answer was offering something on a limited basis so people would come. Social media was the key.

She whistled while she started prepping for the dinners. Lynn at Evans Fish Market looked at her funny when she ordered the raw shrimp. Kat just smiled and said, "Come to the coffeehouse."

Mike was scheduled to start playing at seven but the line started forming at five. Word had spread that there might be a crowd. People reacted with surprise when they saw the new menu. Will came in with his friends and looked at the display for a few moments.

Ivy said, "What do you say Will? Are you going to try it?"

"I'm supposed to be cutting down on my carbs. I was leaning towards the new pesto sandwich on a spinach wrap."

Kat brought over two plated pestos. "Hey jock, if you really want to watch your carbs. I can make you a salad you'll never forget with the pesto shrimp or chicken if you prefer."

He smiled. "You seem busy enough."

She laughed. "Honestly. It's no problem. This is nothing. I ran a busy kitchen."

"Go ahead and show me what you can do, chef."

Kat felt a warm wave of appreciation from Will. In just a week, she felt like they might become friends, even though he shot down her latte idea. "I think we need to add some decent salads to the menu."

The blonde guy behind Will laughed. "The Landing has never been known for salads."

Kat sashayed back to the cooktop. "That might be changing." She smiled wider when some of Will's friends ordered the pesto and another of Will's special salad.

Perhaps she should name it after him. Rick's coffee, Alice's lobster roll, Will's pesto shrimp salad. The list was endless. Kat switched from whistling to humming as she got busier. It was a little different putting out the meals on her own without George by her side. Pushing the sadness back, she focused on the moment. By six-thirty, she had served all the pasta, but stopped herself from calling out eighty-six the pasta. Nick and Ivy didn't know her lingo.

The line for food had slowed but as she looked around every seat was taken. Some people were standing waiting for the music to start. Nick and Ivy had things under control, as Kat cleaned up her work station.

"Hey Kat."

She turned to see Nick looking at her. "Mike wants to talk to you."

She wiped her hands. Smiling, she walked over to where the tall man stood. "You ready?"

"It's getting too crowded. You need someone at the door to keep people out, unless others leave."

"Um, okay. I'm on it."

She looked at the line out the door and into the parking lot. "Sorry, folks. The fire department says were over capacity. We need people to leave before we can let anyone in. If anyone wants takeout, I'll take your order."

There was a lot of grumbling, and some people left, but a few complained. One guy approached and towered over her. "Like hell I'm not going in." He began to push past her, pressing her against the door frame, crushing her.

Suddenly he stopped, and Kat saw a large hand on his chest. "You heard the lady. It's a matter of safety. You need to leave."

"Or what?"

Will's voice wasn't friendly. "My friend behind me has the police on speed dial."

Kat looked up and saw Alex. Her heart raced as the big lug crushed her body against the door frame.

"Now move back and give her space."

Thankfully, the guy stepped back at the pleading of a female voice. Kat took in enough air to fill her lungs. "Our first bad Yelp review."

Will didn't laugh. "Are you okay?" He put his hand on her back. Kat's body shook. "You aren't." He looked out at the crowd by the door. "We don't want anyone to get hurt. Next month, we have two talented artists who will perform outside. There will be plenty of room for people, but not your cars."

More mumbling and people walked away. "They'll hate us."

"No, they are all heading to the Beach House. Half of them would have been disappointed to learn that coffeehouse means no alcohol."

Kat meant to laugh but didn't. No one wanted food and a few who were just served moved towards the door. "I'm not standing to hear some amateur sing."

Nick appeared with the stool kept behind the counter for when it was slow. "Ivy is cleaning up. I'll sit here. You should take a breather."

"Thanks Nick. You don't mind?"

He shook his head. "I was staying anyway. Ivy feels bad since she's the one who posted it."

"I'll go talk to her." Kat didn't want the girl to feel bad.

As she stepped away, Will stopped her with his hand on her arm. "Are you okay?"

"I'm just rattled."

"But did he hurt you?"

"I don't think so." Her chest might be a little sore. Mike had just stood up at the microphone. "Go get your seat." Will hesitated but nodded and stepped away.

Kat went back behind the counter as Mike started singing a country song. It was a crossover, because Kat had heard it on the regular stations. She walked over to Ivy. "It's okay. I'm okay. I should have asked you to take it down sooner, but I was mad at the boss."

"Are you really okay?" The gloss, on her mocha eyes, shone in the light.

"Yeah. Let's finish up and you can go sit with your friends."

The music made the cleanup easier. When she ran the sales totals for the night, she smiled. The man had to be happy.

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

657K 16.4K 44
Madison Rosales is not your typical 22- year-old. While everyone her age is out graduating college? She's only getting started. While everyone is out...
536K 26.8K 65
Two complete different personalities would have to learn to get along and play nice in order to survive a will that would change their lives. For twe...
26.6K 589 31
Haven Collins is an average teenager in an average home, with average wealth, and an average smile. She's never stood out in her life and she liked i...
148K 5.4K 52
Maxon Blake has finally found the woman of his dreams. Convincing her wasn't easy. She got away from him once but no more. Now, he will do anything...