Ambition and Destiny

By purple-butterfly2002

Ambition is the fire that burns within us, propelling us forward even when we stumble and fall into the abyss... More

My Characters#1#
πŸ‘‘ Chapter one πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ chapter two πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Three πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter four. πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Five πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Six πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Seven πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Eighth πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ chapter nine. πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Ten πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter eleven πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twelve πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter thirteen πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Fourteen πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter fifteen πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘chapter SixteenπŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘Chapter EighteenπŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter nineteen πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘Chapter Twenty πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter twenty-one πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-two πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-Three πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-four πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-five πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘Chapter Twenty-sixπŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-seven πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-eightπŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Twenty-nine πŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter ThirtyπŸ‘‘
πŸ‘‘ Chapter Thirty-one πŸ‘‘

πŸ‘‘ Chapter Seventeen πŸ‘‘

32 1 0
By purple-butterfly2002

Sebastian, the epitome of discretion and devotion, knew that the letter in his possession was of the utmost confidentiality. With caution and prudence, he refrained from presenting it to the king amidst prying eyes and inquisitive ears. Instead, he astutely chose the post-dinner hours, when the king retreated to his secluded study.

Sebastian approached the king's private study, a room adorned with opulent furnishings and rich décor. He knocked gently on the door, announcing his presence.

"Come in," called the king's commanding voice from within.

Sebastian bowed respectfully as he stepped into the study, his gaze drawn to the handsome young king seated behind his grand mahogany desk. The king's piercing hazel-green eyes, framed by golden-brown hair and a sparse beard and moustache, exuded intelligence and authority.

Although the king, Alexander, may have appeared cold, he genuinely cared for the well-being of the kingdom and its people. He was known for being emotionally distant and unpredictable, but he also possessed all the qualities of a good ruler. He was intelligent, decisive, and strategic.

Sebastian approached the king, holding the creased letter carefully. "Your Majesty, I apologise for the intrusion, but I believe you should see this immediately."

The king regarded Sebastian with a mixture of curiosity and impatience. "What is it, Sebastian? It must be of great importance for you to come to this late hour without postponing it tomorrow.

Sebastian, ever the composed and loyal butler, handed the letter to the king, who accepted it with a raised eyebrow. The king began to read the content, his eyes scanning the words with calculated intensity.

The king's eyes scanned the letter, and his face hardened in surprise. He frowned slightly, and his grip on the paper tightened, crumpling it slightly. It was a rare display of emotion from the usually stoic monarch, who was known for his calm and collected demeanour.

The king finished reading, and for a few moments, there was a profound silence in the room. The weight of the revelation hung in the air, and the king's thoughts were inscrutable.

Finally, he looked up at Sebastian, revealing a clenched jaw, narrowed eyes, and a hint of resolve. "Sebastian, from where did you get this?"

"Your Majesty, I found the letter in Lord Henrik's study... To be more specific, the maids found it and handed it to me as they were cleaning, but they did not read it at all ", said Sebastian.

The king leaned back in his ornate chair, his mind undoubtedly racing with thoughts and plans. "Prepare a message for Annie to meet me... And...tell Lionel to bring her to me tomorrow evening."

As Sebastian left the king's study, the room was filled with an air of suspense. Alexander, the enigmatic and powerful ruler, positioned himself by the fireplace, his mind engulfed in a chaotic whirlwind.

In the tranquil solitude of his study, he found himself lost in contemplation, weighing the words penned by Edward in his will. This written confession held secrets that had been buried deep for years-secrets that had been meticulously concealed.

With his hazel-green eyes fixed intently on the crackling fire, he began to craft a strategy. He needed a plan that would allow him to navigate through this delicate situation without disrupting the harmony and stability of the kingdom he had ruled with an unwavering grip.

Just as the king was lost in thought, a knock at the door interrupted his reverie.

"Enter," he called, his voice once again filled with the authority and decisiveness for which he was known.

With Alexander's eyes fixed on the door, Felix cracked it open and entered. His turquoise eyes, filled with determination and curiosity, met the king's gaze. Felix was resolute in his quest to uncover the truth about Annie's mysterious circumstances.

"Well, well, well, Felix Maximillian of Clifford." The king called Felix's full name and, in an ironic, cold tone, said, "What brings you to my study at this hour of the night, Maximillian? Have you missed your uncle this much? I thought you were only interested in visiting the palace to see your friend Henrik."

Felix's lips curled into a plastic smile. "I have come to see you, uncle. I felt like it's been a long time since the last visit."

Alexander's eyes locked onto Felix's, and for a moment, the room seemed to crackle with tension. The king's demeanour remained regal, his expression guarded.

"Indeed," the king replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Your 'visits' are becoming increasingly rare. Let's be straight: What pressing matter could have possibly brought you here?"

Felix remained undaunted by the king's biting tone. "It's a matter concerning Annie, Your Majesty. Her presence in the palace raises questions that demand answers.

Alexander's eyes, as cold and impenetrable as glaciers, bore into Felix's. "Annie is under my care. What questions could you possibly have that concern her?"

Felix chose his words carefully, trying not to provoke the king further. "Your Majesty, I don't understand why the temple and even you are so concerned with a commoner girl."

Alexander's face remained inscrutable, and for a moment, Felix thought he might be dismissed without answers. But then, with an imperceptible nod, the king spoke, his voice softer but no less commanding.

"You always were curious, Maximilian. But you must remember your place. Some matters are not meant for your prying eyes."

Felix's determination remained unshaken. "I understand, my uncle, but these mysteries could threaten the very foundations of our kingdom. You are the one who sacrificed a lot to unite it. I don't get why you are planning to adopt Annie while you gave your oath to the royal council so that you do not have children until we find the real heirs... Your decision will create a mess."

The king's brow furrowed as he listened to Felix's impassioned words. He leaned forward, his eyes locked onto Felix's with an intensity that made it clear he wasn't a ruler to be trifled with.

"Do you think being my nephew will forbid me from exiling you? Then you must be mistaken."

The king's authority was unassailable, and he made it clear that he would not be questioned, even by his own family.

Felix clenched his hands angrily as he listened to the king's In an attempt to speak, the king interrupted him.

"You had better mind your duties; otherwise, you don't want to challenge my authority."

Felix took a deep breath and spoke, trying to decrease the tension in the room. He changed the direction of the conversation.

"I apologise, Uncle, if I have crossed any lines. My concern for the kingdom sometimes drives me to be too assertive."

He continued, "I also wish to extend my hand in welcoming Annie to our family. Since she is soon to be my cousin, I would like to offer to take her around the palace, introduce her to the royal staff, and help her become more acquainted with her new home. Perhaps, in doing so, I can ease her transition to our family.

The king, still somewhat stern, considered Felix's offer. After a brief pause, he responded, "Maximillian, You look so concerned about Annie... You would be a good cousin ". He added," You have my acceptance, but you have to  know that she needs to return in the  before the evening."

Felix bowed respectfully, accepting the king's terms. Thank you, Your Majesty, I will do whatever it takes to make Annie feel comfortable"," he continued as he intended to leave. "And for now, let me excuse myself and let you have a good sleep."

As Felix left the room, he felt a strong sense of unease, like a heavy burden on his heart. He sensed that something was wrong, as if there were a cloud of foreboding around him. He couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was about to happen.

Walking through the vast halls of the palace, Felix unexpectedly crossed paths with Henrik. It was evident that Henrik's attention was fixated on the enormous, yet unfinished, painting depicting the royal family, who had tragically passed away.

As Felix approached Henrik, he noticed the distracted expression etched on his friend's face. "Henrik, I see you're contemplating the painting again," Felix remarked softly, his tone laced with concern.

Henrik turned to face Felix, "You are here," he replied, his voice heavy with expectations. "Every time I look at it, I'm reminded of Annie's note about her necklace and the clear resemblance between her and the late queen."

Felix nodded solemnly, understanding the weight of Henrik's words. "Indeed," Felix murmured above the whisper, standing next to Henrik and gazing at the painting. "The necklace in the painting looks familiar. I think I saw Anne wearing it when she was kidnapped."

He added, "Are you referring to her having something to do with the late royal family? ... If this is true, then it explains the king's recent actions, which have left me uneasy."

Henrik's brow furrowed as he regarded Felix, a flicker of apprehension in his eyes. "What do you mean, Felix? What has he done?"

Felix hesitated, grappling with the weight of his suspicions. "The king is planning to adopt Annie, Henrik. It goes against everything he vowed to the Royal Council. I fear it may lead to conflict, both within the palace and among the nobles."

Henrik's eyes widened in surprise, and his features contorted with disbelief. "Adopt Annie? But why? What purpose could it possibly serve?"

"I'm not entirely sure," Felix admitted, his voice tinged with doubt. "But it seems to be linked to something larger."

Henrik took a moment to gather his thoughts.

⟪ The king's intention to adopt Annie, her resemblance to the late queen, the necklace she wore, and the mysterious desire of the temple to have her... Could it be that Annie is more than just a commoner?

"Annie's note about her necklace, the king's sudden interest in her, and the temple's persistent pursuit," Henrik mused, his eyes narrowing in concentration. "There must be a secret".

Felix replied while urging Henrik to discuss the rest of the matter in his study: "You must read the reports that Peter and I have prepared."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8M 57.4K 33
Amy is a focused student and just wants to enjoy a care free senior year. Her family is fiercely over protective and she accepted years ago that boy...
1.6K 337 39
Have you ever seen world within a world ? "In saving the world, he lost his own. She longed to love him, but darkness claimed her first. In your scar...
237 150 45
Amity's life is approaching the tenth anniversary of her brother's death and her mother's disappearance. However, her pain intensifies when she begin...
170 8 6
Annie is a senior high school girl with lots of worries in her head. While she only wants to party and have fun with her friends her chaotic mind doe...