Sweet Love (NG5)

By pseudoannie

(Complete) After decades, it's the end of an era on The Point. Change is inevitable and Will Drake doesn't li... More

Sweet Love
1 - No Hailey
2 - Virginia
3 - Family
5 - Secret
6 - The best two
7 - Nick
8 - Duty
9 - Spring break
10 - Rumors
11 - Kitty Kat
12 - Pops
13 - The Point
14 - Her dream
15 - Blacklisted
16 - Maine
17 - Retired
18 - The same
19 - New boss
20 - Change
21 - Secrets
22 - New
23 - Double agent
24 - The man
25 - Offense
26 - Limited
27 - Vacation
28 - Friends
29 - Chef to chef
30 - Womb mate
31 - Just friends
32 - Happiness
33 - Again
34 - Self centered
35 - For good
36 - Merry Christmas
37 - Tickets
38 - No secrets
39 - BFF
40 - Number four
41 - Tequila
42 - Chef
43 - Break
44 - Now
45 - Love
46 - Timing
47 - Yelp
48 - Venti
49 - Helpless
50 - Team
51 - Blah, blah, blah
52 - Commencement
53 - Favor
54 - After all
55 - Everyone
56 - Can't
57 - March

4 - Home

718 122 39
By pseudoannie

Will sat in the middle row of Maddie's equally big SUV. Ryan sat up front with Jack. The two kids were in the way back.

"JP wanted to come, but I told him we wouldn't have room."

Lana smiled next to him. "Blame it on Will."

Jack chuckled. "My eldest is excited to see your brother. I heard something about cards at their cottage."

Will bit his tongue before he commented about him and the two couples. He started to annoy himself with all his whining.

"Jack, can you drop me and Rye at The Landing? We NEED coffee."

Jack laughed, but Will added, "Me too."

"We'll come find our kids, eventually."

"No worries there. Mom and Rory are part of the welcoming committee."

"Can we go to the beach, Dad?" Liam begged.

"With the football," Will added.

"Yes, yes, yes!" Liam chanted.

The adults just laughed. "I'm glad you're here. We've missed you," Jack added.

Lana's family had gone to Maine for Christmas, but Will hadn't been since July.

Jack looked in the rearview mirror. "Will, you had a good season."

"It would have been better if I hadn't missed those games."

"How's the knee now?"

"Good. Thanks." He answered that question a lot. How long would the announcers evaluate his performance based on his knee? Injured knee was a label he would never shake.

As they crossed the causeway, he felt his lungs open up. Ryan put down his window and the chilled ocean air drifted into the backseat. Unlike his sister, the strip of beach on the Atlantic had never been his actual home, but it felt like a homecoming. Jack stopped the car in the parking lot and the three adults jumped out.

Lana called, "Anyone want a cup?"

"We had ours hours ago."

It was almost eleven. Will liked how some things never changed. Jack and Maddie running together in the morning. The weather-beaten exterior of the store/coffee heaven. Maybe the cracks in the worn asphalt could use an upgrade, but Will felt happy as the bell announced their arrival.

Rick looked up from behind the counter and smiled. The man had aged and his weathered face looked tired. A ball of tension planted itself in his gut, but lessened as the old man bantered with Lana.

With three cups of coffee poured, Ryan winked. "Let the wide receiver pay. He's loaded."

Will laugh. Ryan was doing just fine himself, especially since sitting at a desk was a lot less dangerous. He didn't care as he took out his credit card.

"You can tap now."

Will looked up. "You have Apple pay too."

"Yeah, now Ryan doesn't have to bring his credit card on his morning runs."

The runs that always ended in the coffee line. Will took his first sip and remembered why he wasn't a regular coffee drinker. During the season, he didn't drink it at all. No coffee tasted as good as Rick's.

Lana and Ryan stepped towards the door. "Will, coming?"

"Um, I'll catch up."

Rick smiled. "Is the knee okay?"

Will laughed. "Yup. Do you know of anyone looking to sell?"

Rick frowned. "I just got one myself. Alex is doing some work on it."

"You? Why do you need a cottage?"

Rick looked around before lowering his voice. "It's not public knowledge but I'm retiring."

Will's jaw dropped. "But what about The Landing? The coffee and everything we love."

"I'm thinking of selling. Alex thinks I should hire a person to run it and keep it."

"If you sell it, you need guarantees about the coffee and lobster rolls."

He laughed. "It doesn't work that way. That's why Alex thinks I should keep my hand in it, but I'm tired. Both Alice and I want to enjoy what life we have left."

"Don't talk like that."

"I'm seventy-six. When can I talk that way?"

Will never even thought about Rick's age. He sipped his coffee and frowned. "When will all these changes take place?"

"Not until I sell the place. I'm meeting with a commercial broker next week."

Will left feeling down. It was okay for him to grow up, but he hated for things to change. The Point would lose its gem if the new owner made changes. Hell, they could turn it into a surf shop.

He took the long way to Jack's house. He walked down Sandpiper past Alex's house and the Bennett's on his way to the beach. Zipping his down coat, he stood on the edge of the parking lot overlooking the dunes. The ocean looked tormented like he felt. Surfers speckled the water further down.

After a deep breath, he turned and walked to Gull Road. The kids were in the backyard running around. Rory sat on the picnic table smiling.

He sauntered over to her. "Hey, there."

She jumped up. "Will!" Then she flung her arms around him.

He returned her embrace as he told himself not to tell her Rick's secret. "You look great! Married life agrees with you."

"You look good yourself. I heard the knee is getting better."

Rolling his eyes he nodded and looked at the kids playing. "Gosh, they're so big. Where's Sam?"

"The master is making lasagna for tonight."

"By himself?"

Rory shrugged. "Sometimes he prefers it. Cooking connects him to his grandmother and by default his mother."

"His reputation in the kitchen almost rivals his one behind the camera."

Rory laughed. "Not quite. So after the birthday dinner, cards at our house. Cole and Anna are game."

Will smiled. "I'm definitely in." Hanging out with friends was just what he needed.

The kids gathered round and begged to go to the beach. Rory stood up. "Go ask your parents."

Everyone went inside, but Will stayed where he was at the picnic table and took out his phone. He had contacted an agent about seeing a condo. Replying to a text, he confirmed an appointment for Sunday afternoon. Ryan and Lana were leaving, but he planned to stay on at their cottage.

He stepping into the kitchen to commotion with the kids begging to go to the beach. Maddie greeted him with a hug.

Ryan said, "Do you think Uncle Will wants to go to the beach?"

Liam bounced. "With the football!"

Will chuckled. "How about I go to Grandma's cottage and get a ball?" He also needed his old running shoes which he didn't mind getting sandy.

As he set out in a light jog towards Plover Way, a pickup pulled up alongside him. "Hey, how's the knee?"

Laughing he said, "It's good. I wanted to talk to you."

"What's up?" Alex was alone.

"Can you let me know if you hear about any cottages?"

"You know it could take years."

"I talked to Rick. He told me. I can't believe it."

"What did he tell you?" Alex's eyes narrowed.

"That he wants to sell. I'm surprised you aren't buying it."

"I thought about it for a second, but my business keeps me busy enough. I keep telling him if he hires a manager, he can hold on to it."

"He didn't seem to be leaning that way."

"It would be a good investment for someone with the right money."

Will nodded and stepped back as Alex pulled his truck away slowly. Ryan's words intermingled with Alex's. Could he? It was a lot to think about. Did he have time to run a business? Was it an extreme step to make sure The Landing didn't change?

Thoughts swirled in his head as he tied his shoes in his families' unheated cottage. The football in his hand grounded him as he sprinted to the beach. As soon as he crossed the dunes, he noticed the wind. It would require some adjustments, just like in an actual game.

He could see the crowd as they moved down the beach. Liam and JP broke away and ran to him. He tossed the ball to his nephew who caught it and ran with it to Ryan.

The wind carried the ball when Ryan flung it, but Will anticipated it and caught it easily. His brother-in-law had lost a little arm strength, but he could still give him a workout. The kids ran the ball back to Ryan.

Eventually, his brother-in-law threw up his arms. "Enough for me!"

Will lifted Liam in the air. Giggles surrounded him as Charlotte and JP yelled, "Me. Me."

Each had a turn before he collapsed on the sand and they piled on top of him.

Lana laughed. "Some things never change."

"The kids are bigger," Maddie replied.

Ryan's birthday dinner was festive with the house bursting with Harrises. Only Will and Sam weren't Harris by birth, adoption or marriage. Even Rory went by Harris-Keller. Laughter filled Ryan's brother's home, until everyone gradually left the table.

Will offered to help clear, but Maddie refused. "There isn't enough room. Lana and I have it. The three of you should go have fun."

Rory stepped forward. "Are you sure?"

"Are you kidding? Sam did the hard work. Your lasagnas were amazing as always." She kissed Sam's cheek and pointed to the door.

Lana said, "Don't wake the kids when you come in."

Ryan pointed to him. "Don't wake me. It's my birthday."

Jack laughed. "Rory, text Lana when Will's heading out."

Lana blushed, and Sam laughed. Rory pushed the other two into the cold air. "Seriously, my Dad went from chaperoning us to joking about sex in front of us."

Sam laughed. "We're married. It's allowed."

Rory laughed. "He wasn't."

"No talking about sex. I'm very single."

Sam shook his head. "I can't believe Hailey passed you up."

"She told me there was someone new."

Rory laughed. "It could be in her mind."

Will loved Rory and understood her resentment to Hailey. She was a player in Sam and Rory's ugly chapter. Although his two friends had the starring roles.

Sam sighed. "Maybe she'll come back to you."

Will shook his head. "There's a big difference. Even when you were being stupid, you still loved each other. She never loved me."

Rory squeezed him around the waist. At least she didn't bring up Cassie. Her name was forbidden around Anna and Cole.

When they stepped into the warm cottage, Will looked around. It was the perfect home for two Point kids.

Rory looked at Sam. "We should tell him."

About Rick? His mind kept floating back to saving the coffee.

Sam nodded. "Don't say anything, but Cole and Anna aren't drinking."

"It's okay. I don't drink much either. Is there something you aren't telling me?"

Rory sighed. "Cole's on a mission to have healthy sperm."

Sam added, "He's a bit neurotic."

"So don't say anything."

As he nodded, he sighed. "Shit! My jar is over on Plover."

"We'll share, but if you're sticking around, you can bring it over and put it on the shelf." Rory pointed to a bookcase. There were four jars filled with pennies.

Will smiled when Sam put them on the table, including the same jar he used in Boston with the red heart on it. Don't think of Hailey.

The door opened, and the golden couple brought in the nippy air with them. Anna gave him a big hug and Cole shook his hand with a smile. "How's the knee?"

Will groaned. "I need a press release. It's better."

Sam laughed. "Is everyone asking?"

He rolled his eyes. "Everyone. Let's deal the cards."

As they played and laughed, Will thought about the guy at the gym's question. Home was at The Point with his friends and family.

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 42 52
WARNING!!! CONTAINS ADULT THEMES THAT MAY BE TRIGGERING! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING!! 18++++++ New town... New school... The po...
2.8M 125K 65
[Billionaire / Fake Relationship] The last thing Livy expects is to fall for Logan, the hot but damaged billionaire who wants to help her pay for her...
780 65 18
Jodie has a crush on Ethan Majors, a popular senior who's destined to be the next big football star. But he has no clue about her feelings. When thei...
148K 5.4K 52
Maxon Blake has finally found the woman of his dreams. Convincing her wasn't easy. She got away from him once but no more. Now, he will do anything...