RED QUEEN | DAEMON TARGARYEN

Por isa-tnj

"It's my duty, my God-given birthright and my crown." - Mary, Queen of Scots In which Valyria Targaryen retur... Mais

RED QUEEN
ACT I | HALCYON
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
ACT II | PĀX
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
ACT III | RETROUVAILLES
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
ACT IV | BELEAGUER
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
ACT V | POLLEŌ
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
CHAPTET FORTY-THREE
CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FORTY-NINE
CHAPTER FIFTY
EPILOGUE
THE END

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

5.6K 334 85
Por isa-tnj

THE MONARCHS' DEAL
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

131 AC, King's Landing

The following morning, the Small Council gathered once again after everyone had gotten a good night of sleep. This time, Daemon stepped into the meeting by her side, hand resting on Dark Sister's pommel like he was stepping into battle and not a gathering with a majority of old men. Unlike the previous day, however, Rhaenyra and Alicent were both present too for some reason.

Viserys sat by the edge of the table, leaning back against the backrest with a posture that would have given their grandmother, Alysanne, a heart attack. Every day he got out of bed these days felt like a wonder. Clearly keeping himself awake for longer periods of time drained all of his strength in less than an hour.

"This meeting," Lord Beesbury began, "has been called to clarify the succession to the Iron Throne once and for all."

"I don't think there is anything to settle," Daemon said snarkily. "Valyria is the rightful Queen."

"His Grace was crowned King," Otto immediately jumped to Viserys's defence, as expected since he stood to lose his control over the crown not to mention that he never could pass up on an opportunity to argue with Daemon. "His reign cannot be declared illegitimate simply because of the last whims of a dying man-"

"That man was your King," Valyria warned Otto. "So tread carefully on how you speak of him."

"If I may," Archmaester Harmune stated, seated on one of the additional chairs that had been brought to the table. "While it is true that by King Jaehaerys's last will, Princess Valyria should have been the next ruler of the Seven Kingdoms, one could argue that King Viserys successfully seized the throne upon the Old King's death. The compromise between the two claimants to the throne might therefore be for King Viserys's rule to continue and once he passes, Princess Valyria will succeed him."

"How is that a compromise?" Daemon spat. "It's what all of you wants, is it not?"

"I do not have many years left, Daemon," Viserys pointed out with a sad smile. "The wait may not be too long."

"If His Grace were to abdicate," Lord Jasper Wylde, the Master of Laws, said, "it might stir up conflict in the realm. The line of succession is set already. Princess Valyria is Viserys's named heir," at those words, Rhaenyra's face soured visibly, "and will be Queen one day."

"You speak as if I'm asking for the throne for my own selfish ambitions," Valyria said calmly. "I never asked King Viserys to abdicate and if I did, it would not be to overthrow his reign like he did with mine."

"So you will agree to wait, Your Highness," Lord Beesbury asked.

Beside her, Daemon opened his mouth to protest. Valyria placed her hand over his in a request for him to be silent. Everyone clearly expected for her to simply comply and allow Viserys's rule to continue until his death. Clearly she had little support on the council; even Lord Beesbury and Tyland, who often supported her in other matters, seemed reluctant to argue for an abdication.

Her standing her ground and demanding to be crowned at this moment might actually be more of a risk than waiting at the moment. Awaiting Viserys's death did give everyone else an opportunity to plan how they could oppose her; yet at the same time it also gave her a suitable time to prepare herself for any possible coups.

Viserys's change of heart came unexpectedly which meant Valyria hadn't gotten the same privilege many other heirs to the throne got to build alliances and friendships. Of course, she'd gathered quite a few allies over the years but none of them had ever been with the purpose of one day needing their support to rule the Seven Kingdoms. Not to mention Valyria couldn't simply abandon Dorne and her son without a warning.

"If Viserys abdicates now, it might be seen as an insurgency," Valyria reasoned. "A day ago I was only the King's cousin and today, I am the heir. The realm might need some time to get used to this – though I do not find it a fair bargain for me to simply wait after Viserys confessed to betraying our grandfather's last will. A year, that is enough time, I believe."

"A year?" Viserys said confusedly.

"A year to make a smooth transition," Valyria clarified. "Once it has passed, you will abdicate." The implied 'if you are still alive' was the first thought entering most of the men's heads. "That I believe is a fair bargain that offers us all the opportunity to get everything in order. Until then I shall split my time between Sunspear, Dragonstone and the Red Keep."

Turning to Rhaenyra, she added, "Princess Rhaenyra may stay in the guest chambers at Dragonstone until she chooses where to move her household."

"A most generous offer," Rhaenyra bitterly stated.

"You're most welcome," Valyria answered despite not receiving a thanks.

"And during this year, where will your family reside?" Alicent asked, speaking up for the first time.

"Where my children and husband choose to spend their time is not a matter for this council," Valyria pointed out.

"My son is still a ward of yours," Alicent reminded her. "I believe Daeron should return to the Red Keep. He can't very well be fostered by you if you're never in one place too long. And I refuse to have my son debauched by the dornish."

"Do not worry about that, Alicent," Valyria smiled sweetly, "myself and Prince Daemon never leave our children alone for too long. So when I can't protect him from being – debauched by the dornish – Daemon is there to raise Daeron. And is it not more important than ever to show unity in House Targaryen?"

Valyria definitely wouldn't let Daeron go without a fight. She'd been the first to ever hold her father's namesake – before his own mother even – and she'd raised him since he was a babe. Not giving birth to Daeron did not change the fact that she saw him as her son. After witnessing the treatment Alicent gave especially Aegon, Valyria would never abandon Daeron to grow in the same cold environment.

The reason Valyria didn't want Daeron to leave was love but that didn't blind her to the political advantage she had with one of Alicent's sons being a part of her household. The reason Alicent – probably on behalf of her father – once again was bringing up the question of Daeron returning to them could very well have been caused by the sudden threat she posed to them.

"Daeron will – will remain Valyria's ward," Viserys confirmed. "And I believe her offer is more than fair. In the upcoming year, we will do our best to wind up my reign and prepare for Valyria's."

"And who will be the Princess Valyria's heir then?" Otto Hightower snarkily asked. "The Prince of Dorne? A Martell seated on the Iron Throne – it's preposterous!"

"Are you done, Lord Hand?" Valyria asked with a roll of her eyes. "A Targaryen will sit upon the Iron Throne, that I can promise you. Which one – I don't believe we must decide this very moment. Unless you intend to murder me of course. Two have already tried in the past few years."

"You dare accuse my father of the attacks against you?" Alicent asked angrily.

"No, I simply told him that unless he plans on murdering me, there is little rush to decide who should be my heir at this moment," Valyria calmly stated, an innocent smile on her face. "I would never accuse the Lord Hand nor anyone else of trying to assassin me – unless I have proof of it. Of course."

The Small Council meeting continued for another hour until the King had fallen asleep so many times it felt pointless to continue. When it was time to leave, Daemon helped pull out her chair and offered a hand. The two wasted little time getting out of there. When she got crowned, most of that Small Council would be replaced and the first one that would be kicked out was Otto Hightower.

"Lyria?" Aegon called, stopping the pair's walk through Maegor's Holdfast. "Could we speak? Alone?"

"Can't you speak when I am here, nephew?" Daemon mocked, sending the young man a distasteful glare.

"I can, but I have little desire to do so, uncle," Aegon responded snarkily, not cowering under the Rogue Prince's dislike.

Rolling her eyes in annoyance, Valyria said, "Daemon, I shall be with you shortly." By now, Daemon knew better than to argue with her on these matters. Instead he let out a scornful huff, kissed the side of her head and disappeared down the corridor, but not before sending a warning glare his nephew's way.

"I don't know why, but I get this feeling that my dear old uncle is not particularly fond of me," Aegon said, speaking loud enough for Daemon to hear it.

"Careful Egg, he might be old but his hearing has not deteriorated that much yet," Valyria answered, knowing that she'd likely pay for it later; it was worth it. "Now what is it you wish to speak with me about, dear?"

"Just – I have not really talked to you since the dinner," Aegon said with an awkward smile, recalling how that dinner ended. "Then father declared you his heir and everything has been chaotic since then."

"Indeed," Valyria said with a deep sigh. "It is – not what I expected when I arrived."

"None of us expected it," Aegon agreed, "but I stand behind my father's choice."

"You do?" Valyria smiled gently.

"For years now my mother has told me that when Rhaenyra becomes Queen, she will have me killed since my mere existence threatens her claim to the throne," Aegon said. "With you, I don't have to fear what will happen to me once the King dies."

"No, you don't," Valyria smiled gently. Then she asked, "Do you want the Iron Throne? I do not ask you to judge if it makes you a threat, only because I wish to know if you ever dreamt of being King."

"No," Aegon shook his head. "I don't want all that responsibility. I have grown up in court and have seen first hand how the ambition for more power changes people. You were born to be Queen, I was not born to be King."

.•° ✿ °•.

131 AC, Sunspear

The relief Valyria felt to be back on dornish soil could not be described in words. Due to the younger children – who still couldn't handle longer flies – they sailed back and Valyria could now officially say that she wasn't built for sea travel. Targaryens were destined for the skies while Velaryons ruled on the sea.

Upon reaching Sunspear, Cassian and Lewyn waited for them in front of the castle. Her eldest son stood straight beside his uncle, dark brown hair falling down to his shoulders, clad in the colours of his father's house. Had it not been for his orchid eyes, Cassian could have been Qoren reborn; Valyria never actually met her husband as a child – despite how her father travelled to Dorne a few times – but she imagined he could have passed for Cassian's twin.

Wasting no time, Valyria approached her son, not caring about proper protocol as she hugged him tightly. After everything that occurred during their visit to the Capital, she needed some feeling of normalcy. "My sweet boy, how I've missed you," she said, kissing the crown of his head. "Have you grown in my absence?" Every time she saw him, it felt like he'd grown taller.

"Soon I'll be taller than you," Cassian smiled.

"We are not quite there yet, thank the Gods," Valyria told him just as Aelia came running over to greet her older brother.

"I'd ask how the audience with the King went," Lewyn said when she turned her attention to him, "but the fight over Driftmark pales in comparison to being named heir to the Iron Throne."

"Aye, the visit did not turn out like I expected it would," Valyria nodded, forcing a smile. How weird that when they sailed from Sunspear, she just believed her role in the Red Keep would be to make sure the Blacks and Greens didn't tear each other's throats and more importantly to support Rhaenys. Leaving King's Landing as the future Queen was not what she – nor anyone – expected. "There is a lot to discuss."

After changing out of her travel clothes into one of her dornish dresses, Valyria found herself sitting in the Princess of Dorne's solar. Daemon leaned against the wall behind her desk while Lewyn stood behind Cassian's chair. Valyria didn't wish for her son to feel uncomfortable, so instead of sitting on her ornate chair, she opted for settling on the stool next to the young man. Having a desk separating them felt too formal.

"When Viserys passes, I stand to inherit the Iron Throne," Valyria said, repeating what they all already knew. "That part of the succession is firmly established now. The question, however, stands to who will inherit the throne after me. An issue that we – or rather all of you – hopefully won't face in many years but should anything happen to me-"

"Nothing will happen," Daemon interrupted her firmly. Merely thinking about her death made him feel uneasy.

"Hopefully, but it's irresponsible to not settle this beforehand anyway," Valyria sent a pointed glare towards her husband. It was not that she particularly enjoyed talking about her death either. "By Westerosi law, my eldest son should inherit the Iron Throne."

"Elara and Cyrenna are your oldest children," Cassian muttered, looking down on his hands. "They should inherit the throne after you."

Valyria smiled sadly, "Here in Dorne, they would stand to inherit. That is true. But the rest of Westeros is not there yet," she gently stroked his tanned cheek. Her being allowed to inherit the throne despite her gender was a big step for many of the Seven Kingdoms. A part of her wished to use this opportunity to permanently change the realm into a more equal place. But Valyria was not naive.

There were those that remained sceptical about her inheriting the throne because she was a woman. Much like Jace being a threat to trueborn children would make his position as King unstable and a target for rebellions, Valyria changing the royal line of succession so that daughters could inherit before their brother could be viewed by some lords as a threat. Announcing her daughter as heir felt like asking for rebellions and uprisings before she even had the opportunity to be crowned.

"Elara is already the Lady of Winterfell," Valyria continued. "She wrote to me a while back to announce that she's with child," she revealed happily. Elara and Cregan had been trying for a child for a long time now – some women could easily become with child while it took years for others – but now that her daughter finally was carrying the future to the North, Valyria could only hope that Elara and the child both survived. "Her future is in the North. And Cyrenna – while she is to marry Aegon neither of them wants anything to do with the throne."

Cassian avoided her gaze and Valyria quickly added, "Cas, you are the Prince of Dorne. And if it would push the Westerosi lords too far to name a daughter heir, the Dornish are not ready for a Prince of Dorne that is also the future King of the Seven Kingdoms."

"I– I-"

"Cas, look at me," Valyria gently said, sharing a glance with Lewyn. "I am not telling you that you will be my heir. You are your father's heir already and I know how much it means to you to continue his legacy. But even though I am confident I know your answer, I want to ask you – before I make anything official – if you'd wish to be King and allow Sunspear to pass to your sister. Now that no matter what you choose, it will have my blessing."

Cassian straightened up in his seat, "I love you, mūna, but I am not a Targaryen," he said shyly. "The blood of the dragon might run through my veins, but I am a Martell and Sunspear is where I belong. Dorne is the kingdom I should rule."

"That is what I thought," Valyria nodded, smiling reassuringly to her eldest son. "And you will be a wonderful Prince of Dorne. One your father and I both will be very proud of."

.•° ✿ °•.

"Jaeron will be my heir then," Valyria said that same night after changing into her nightclothes and a thin silk robe. "Our son will be King after me."

Daemon had not said anything about her naming their eldest son heir, but she knew that some part of him had wished to hear those words since Valyria's claim to the throne was announced. Jaeron was a Targaryen that carried their name already and while Daemon cared deeply for his step-children, having his own son be the future King was an ambition he couldn't deny.

"I need to fly to Dragonstone in the upcoming days," Valyria told him, brushing through her silver hair. "And I don't want to be away from court for too long," she added. "The Greens feel threatened and the King's mind is weak. Who knows what they will try if Viserys is left to their mercy."

"You should not have allowed them a year to plot their inevitable betrayal," Daemon muttered bitterly.

"It's not a betrayal if you never even had their loyalty in the first place," Valyria snorted. "And I did what I believe to be best for the realm. You noticed how no one in that chamber even entertained the idea of an immediate abdication. Conflict is ensured if I try to seize the throne now."

"You have houses loyal to you that would raise their armies should you call," Daemon reminded her. "We have dragons!"

"I will not be Queen of Ashes and Corpses," Valyria shook her head. "The nobles might be the ones to gather their armies, but we both know that it's mostly the smallfolk that constitute those armies. Bloodshed and carnage is not worth the fight for a throne that I will get in a year now – without the need to start a rebellion."

"And when that whore of a queen and her cunt of a father decides to put that little bastard on the throne once your year is over?" Daemon snapped hatefully. "Would you let them instead of fighting for your own right?"

"Maybe not, but at least then I will have done what I could to prevent the death of innocents," Valyria replied. "And need I remind you that this is my decision and not yours, husband?" Putting her brush down, Valyria added, "And the matter is already settled so I see no use in arguing about it now."

"Instead we could argue about when you plan on moving your official residence to Dragonstone," Daemon said, knowing very well that the conversation could end in a fight. "As Princess of Dragonstone, it's your duty to rule the island-"

"Do not lecture me about duties, Daemon," Valyria warned. "Out of the two of us, I've always been mindful of my duties unlike you."

"Then I assume you are already planning the move?" Daemon crossed his arms.

"You know it's not that easy," Valyria told him. "I can't just leave Cassian. Qoren named me regent-"

"Cassian has Lewyn," Daemon interrupted her firmly. "And you can't hold his hand for the rest of his life."

"He's still just a boy-"

"He is a young man that will settle into his role as Prince of Dorne with or without his mother hovering over him," Daemon argued. "In a year's time, you will be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. Do you still plan on flying to Sunspear every other fortnight then? Use this as an opportunity to practise independence. Cassian will have to get used to not having you here all the time. It's better to ease him into it slowly by moving our residency to Dragonstone."

"If you're so eager to move to Dragonstone, I'm not stopping you," Valyria snapped in irritation. "You always hated Dorne."

"Of course I hate it," Daemon scowled. "But I've lived here for over three years because it's what you wanted." Taking a step closer to Valyria, towering over her smaller frame, he continued, "I've lived in the castle of your dead husband, down the corridor from where he shared a bed with you, without grievances-"

"Would you rather have stayed in the Red Keep?" Valyria cocked an eyebrow. "So that you could see the Hightowers every day? Or perhaps Dragonstone with Rhaenyra?"

"Maybe not, but now Dragonstone is ours," Daemon argued. "It's where you spend half your childhood. Your father's keep-"

"Don't bring my father into this," Valyria told him. "If anything, he would have understood why I don't want to abandon my son. And I'm not declaring that we won't ever move to Dragonstone, I am simply telling you that I don't wish to rush it. Especially now..." she trailed off, eyes downcast as she bit her lip.

Daemon tilted up her head, one hand resting against her throat while one finger touched her jaw, "What?"

"I," Valyria started. "I'm with child again."

The symptoms had long been disguised as stress from everything that happened over the past moons and sea-sickness. Yet Valyria started suspected being pregnant when she felt that annoying heat that plagued her through her past two pregnancies.

Daemon took a step back in shock, "You're-?" he couldn't even finish the sentence. Judging by how he acted more careful around her, didn't seem as insatiable and often pulled out, Daemon probably didn't want another child.

"Aye, we are going to have another child," Valyria nodded, hand resting against her belly. "Not very far along, though. A moon, maybe two." Not a word from Daemon. His eyes remained glued to her still flat belly.

"You barely survived your past two childbirths," Daemon muttered lowly. Unlike with Jaeron and Viserys, there was no excitement visible on his face.

"I remember," Valyria whispered, already feeling frightened about the prospect of giving birth again. With so many women in her family passing away in the birthing chamber, the fear was constant whenever she was with child.

Daemon's gaze finally broke from her belly. Picking up the goblet that stood on the table beside him, Daemon turned around and threw it against the wall in a fit of anger. "That is normally not how you react to the news of your wife being with child," Valyria said with a tranquil voice. With Daemon lashing out, no one would benefit from her losing her calm.

"Simply because Vis's birth wasn't the easiest, we should not assume the worst," Valyria told him. "I know the time is not the best. It's the worst. And I'm already terrified, so please, do not make it worse for me."

"There are ways to end-"

"I asked Dora," Valyria confessed. "When she told me, I asked her. Not to make a decision at that moment without talking to you. But I did ask and she told me that it comes with its own risks. I may not be far along, but I am far enough for it to be dangerous."

No word from Daemon forced Valyria to continue, "We have a difficult year ahead, I won't lie. The only way we will get through it is if we stand together. I need you now, Daemon. More than ever before. You promised you'd be by my side."

"I will," Daemon told her with a slight nod. Closing the distance between them, he embraced her carefully, resting his chin on top of her head. "Nyke kivio."

"When we move to Dragonstone," Valyria then said, only pulling back enough to look at him, "maybe we could arrange for the Valyrian ceremony you always wanted."

Daemon smirked, yet there was a tenderness in his eyes as he said, "Are you proposing to me again, menace?"

Rolling her eyes, Valyria threatened, "I can take it back."

Chuckling, Daemon said, "If you insist, I could consider marrying you again."

______________
Thank for all your votes last week!💞💞 At the moment Kol Mikaelson seems to be in the lead followed my Anakin Skywalker, but I still have time before I decide which one I will write in the future🤩

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

25.6K 704 9
what happen when people from past before Robert rebellion and targaryen ancestors watch the life of zhaenyra targaryen, first and trueborn daughter o...
5.5K 383 5
⤷ always an angel, never a god, always a woman, never an heir, ──────────── 𝐈𝐍 which rhaenyra targaryen has an older sister - aelora targ...
4.9K 194 25
He had the blood of two ancient empires flowing through him-Yi Tish and Valyrian. On his mother's side, all the way back to House Belaerys, with the...
4.4K 289 9
"𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑, 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄, 𝐖𝐇𝐎 𝐄𝐋𝐒𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐅𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐌𝐀𝐍?" ☆ ...