The Day The World Eclipsed ||...

By Smiles4Alifetime

Sun Wukong, Great Sage Equal to Heaven, has only ever had one fear. Being alone. After years of dealing with... More

Immortality's Curse
Forever Is a Long Time
Qi Xiaotian
Our New Life Begins
Da
Fear
Weakness
Entering Human Society is a GO!
Kind and Patient
Sweet Times
Past Grievances
Return to Flower Fruit Mountain
The Desire To Be Better
The Slumbering Prince
The Wonderings of the Past
The day the Eclipse met the Moon
Art/fan art for this story
Settling In
Paint Jars
Priorities
Our World
Why 2, and not 3?(Part one)
Why 2, and not 3? (Part Two)

Brothers and Shadows

720 27 9
By Smiles4Alifetime

"I really didn't think it would be this bad." Pigsy admits, tying his shoes. Beside him, Tang sipped his tea, watching their panicked friend Wukong circle the back room of Pigsy's Noodles in a fit. Setting down blankets, toys, and other things he had somehow managed to cram into his deceivingly small bag.

They decided the location for tonight's babysitting gig would be within Pigsy's own shop. This decision was made due to MK being comfortable here and for the fact that Wukong's place was apparently far outside the city. So Pigsy agreed Sandy and MK could stay here for the hours they were gone.

What he hadn't expected was for Wukong to turn it into a full blown baby environment! It was like baby central now!

"Makes the place rather homey." Tang mused, pushing up his glasses.

"I think you should keep it this way all the time." Sandy chimed in, getting a quick annoyed look from their Chef friend.

Standing with an easy composure beside them was Sandy, hands on his hips to watch Wukong. Having arrived 30 minutes before, he had happily chatted with Wukong the entire time. Everything seemed fine during it. Wukong was rather friendly, asking about Sandy's work and interests. You would think he was 100 % ready to head out to enjoy his evening- if Tang and Pigsy didn't know better.

The way Wukong hadn't once set MK down was pretty obvious to the inner turmoil the man was going through in readying himself to leave his baby for a few hours. At least the kid seemed to take a liking to Sandy, eager to play with his new blue friend. He liked that Sandy smelled like spices and tea. Plus, Sandy had his own little one with him. It was Mo, the recently adopted kitten Sandy had brought into his life.

Tang and Pigsy had first considered this creature as an emotional support animal for their friend, considering the man took it everywhere. As the weeks went on, it was obvious Sandy was treating the cat more like his own child then companion. Adoring it the same way Wukong did his own boy.

So of course, Mo was with Sandy even now, introduced to MK like Sandy was introducing his own offspring to befriend the child. "I hope you two can get along!" he gushed.

Wukong stared at the kitten in quiet contemplation, curious how MK would react considering his child had never really come into contact with any animal other than the Monkey's.

"Look Star, a Cat." Wukong gestured to Mo. "It's nice."

MK squinted his eyes, confused. This thing was like the monkeys, or like Pigsy and Tang. Lip contorted in a judging disgust, Pigsy was snorting at the very vocal thought process the kid was showing. "I don't think he's a fan." he laughed.

"Aww it's okay, MK." Sandy set Mo down to pat his back. The kitten's back arched to the affection, circling Sandy's ankles with soft mew's. Playful pawing at his shoelaces and taking in the change of scenery.

MK's tail poof a little, frowning. Forced to engage because his Father knelt down, MK wanted to hiss at the creature. It was furry but not a monkey. It was blue and made weird noises. MK whined when Wukong took his hand, holding it away from MK's body to try and get the child to pet the cat.

"Trust me, bud. It's okay." Wukong says, pressing MK's fingers against the back of the kitten.

An explosion of soft and silky washed over MK's senses. His fingers flexed, pressing insistently against the sensation. "...O...." he patted the kitten again, earning a delightful mew. The child's hand was nuzzled affectionately. The stern and unmoving glare melted, eyes alight with joy and lips curled into a pucked smile. MK sharply chirped, shocking all in the room at the boy.

"Um..." Wukong paled, "W-What a silly sound you made, MK." he laughed, hoping no one-Tang especially- questioned what that was about. "!!" surging forward to snag his child, Wukong grunted when MK pushed away from him to try and leap at Mo. Squeaking and trying to wiggle towards the kitten to play.

Officially friends now that MK gave the cat a chance.

"They like each other!" Sandy says with joy. Since the friendship had been established, there was no room for concern anymore. The clock struck 6;30.

It was time to leave.

"Come on, Wu." Pigsy called from the door. They wouldn't actually be gone that long, in truth. Most boxing matches went by pretty quick depending what happened within them and how many boxers were actually participating the night of. This one in particular would only drag out to 2 or 3 hours because there were some before match performances. Which Pigsy wanted to see... sooo. "We are walking, so we got some ground to cover."

"Aright." Wukong settled down his bag, taking inspiration from the many parents he had seen before. "I got some diapers in here, and some snacks. And his Monkey- he calls him Ke. So if he says Ke, this is who he is talking about." he held it up for Sandy to see. "He always sleeps with this so, if he is fussy this should help calm him down." he ruffled through a few more things. "I got his favorite stories in here, and a blankie... Oh, here are his pajamas." He shows Sandy everything, going over the instructions for everything.

Pigsy and Tang leaned against the door, waiting quietly. It was kind of funny watching how fussy Wukong was about all this. The quiet tap of Pigsy's foot was an indication to the chef's growing impatience. "Wu." he says again.

"He goes to bed around 7 most nights after some milk. Half a bottle-" he held up the bottle as an example. "He likes lullabies. No TV though, okay? I haven't introduced that to him yet. Oh! If he really is struggling you can give him-" he covered MK's ears. "Peaches. He really likes those."

"Alright." Sandy smiled without missing a beat, nodding diligently to every instruction given to him. "Sure thing."

"He can have as many as he wants if it makes your night easier. He's already had dinner so he should be fine with that, but he has bibs in his bag. As well as some wipes. Some extra clothes too just in case he gets messy-"

"He gets it, Wu." Pigsy groaned, tossing his head back. "We're gonna be late...!"

Wukong flinched, turning to his friends. Pouting a little, he sighs. Right, he needed to do this. Best to do it quickly then hold it off- like ripping off a bandaid.

"Don't you worry." Sandy spoke gently. His smile was kind and eyes were reassuringly warm. He had heard much about this Wukong from Tangy and Pigsy. The two seemed to really like the guy and he could see why. Him and his little boy were just so cute! "I have my phone on and up to the full volume for any time you call." He explained, his expression only softening further when Mo leaped up to his shoulder. "Mo and I will make sure MK has the best time while you are gone. We can Face time at any point you might need to."

"Right..." Wukong glanced to the side, squinting. " Through Face time..." he grimaced, glancing at his boy. It all sounded good on paper of course, but he couldn't help but be reminded of their "hidden monkey baby' mirror situation back home. How exactly would Qi Xiaotian react to seeing him on Sandy's phone?

Knowing he wouldn't know until they did it, he kissed MK's forehead. His child cooed, pausing from his fiddling with Wukong's jacket to cup his daddy's face. "Dada." he babbled, giving him a smooch back on his cheek. Wukong chuckled.

"You be a good boy, okay? Be nice to our new friends, Sandy and Mo." he gestured to them. When MK looked Sandy gave a big grin and waved. MK shyly smiled back, giggling. Giving his child a hug, Wukong hesitantly held him out. "Alright Bud..." he nuzzled his child. Already 10 months going on 11. Practically almost a year old and so big! Getting bigger and bigger with every passing day. "I-I'm gonna be gone just for a little while, yeah?" his voice wavered, "Play nice with Sandy. If you need me I'm just a call away." Worry pooled in his eyes as he let Sandy take Qi from him.

His arms felt so empty without him. What if MK thought he was leaving him behind? What if MK hated him for going? What if something happened while he was gone?

"So just...Just call if you need anything, a-alright?" he took a step back, struggling to tear his eyes away from the two. "Really if anything happens at all, call me. I'll be right here in a flash. Anything at all! If he cries and you can't get him to stop please let me know... A-And he's really big on hugs so he likes to be held."

"Alright, Mr. Wukong." Sandy gave an understanding nod. Despite his size and muscle mass, he held Xiaotian with the utmost care. MK curiously looked up at him, lightly batting his arm, which felt rock solid.

"Oo." he marveled.

"He's got this, Wukong." Pigsy patted his back when he got close.

"Indeed. Don't worry Mr. Wukong." Sandy says, smiling his lovable smile. He was patient, letting Wukong linger as much as he needed to. Separation wasn't something just children had to learn to overcome after all. "We are going to have the best night ever. So go enjoy your free time." his eyes were serious when he said, " You deserve to enjoy yourself."

The father steadied himself, wringing his hands together. "...Okay..." Wukong got two steps out the door before he whipped around, waving to his child. Qi waved back with a smile.

"Dada! ByeBye!" His voice was sweet and wonderful.

Wukong almost ran back in if it wasn't for Tang and Pigsy grabbing him, hooking their arms around his, and dragging him down the street. "You can do this!" they chanted.

Wukong let out a small noise of distress, not sharing in their confidence. Dragged for a good mile he finally found his own two feet again to walk beside the two mortals. He glanced over his shoulder longingly at the city behind them. Everything would be fine, he told himself over and over. Please let everything be fine.

"They are going to be alright, Wu." Tang patted his shoulder with ease. "Say it with me now." Wukong frowned, unsure. "They. Will. Be-"

"Fine." Wukong murmured the last part. "They will be fine."

"Again." Tang clapped, demanding this of the Father.

"They will be fine."

"Louder! Like you mean it!" Tang pumped his fists into the air.

Wukong squeezed his eyes shut, "They will be fine...!"

Pigsy and Tang clapped for him, patting their friend's back. They themselves weren't parents, so it was hard to fully understand his turmoil, but they knew what it was like to feel the weight of responsibility taking hold. That when you put yourself too much into one thing or someone else, it was hard to remind yourself to step back and take care of yourself from time to time.

"Feel better?" Pigsy asked.

Wukong shrugged, " I think so...?" that bubble of doubt wasn't as heavy, but still lingered. Quietly, snickering in the back of his mind as all his other worries did. He never would have thought one day he would be suffering from these levels of Anxiety. After a few blocks, he could hear the sounds of gathering citizens and pleasant food. The distant noise began to grow, leading them right to a large crowd gathered around the stadium. All them there for the same thing they were.

"Look at this show up." Tang mused, whistling. "I can't wait to get inside and get me a corn dog."

"Of course the first thing on your mind is food." Pigsy rolled his eyes.

Wukong stared at the ground with a distant look, "Xiaotian always thinks of food too." When he looked back up Pigsy and Tang were giving him little looks, their arms folded. "What?" he pouted.

"No MK talk." they declared. When he tried to argue they quickly shut him down. "The point of tonight is to give you a break from being a Dad for one night. So, reel in the man you were before you were a Father, and let 'em loose!"

Wukong's expression was twisting into disdain. The person he was before Qi Xiaotian was a person he never wanted to be again. Alone and miserable. There was a time he was a more party animal, sure. He could hardly recognize himself in those years. Back when things were simple, but he lacked the understanding of consequence. By the time he could comprehend the word, he had already lost far too much.

"I don't really think you'd like the person I was before being a Father." he admitted, rubbing the back of his head. 'I certainly didn't like him-"

Tang swatted his head, "None of that either!" He jammed his finger against Wukong's head to get it through his thick skull. "Just, be yourself, Wukong. Be who you are... just minus MK." he put his hands together, eyes squinted.

Pigsy nodded in agreement, "Come on, Wu." he patted his back, taking his arm to lead him towards the stadium. "Once we get in there it'll fix everything. So just take a breath, and take it in."

Wukong wasn't quite as convinced. However, he did as he was told and took a deep breath. Letting it go, he examined all his surroundings. The smells, the sounds, the sights. There were so many people crammed into the once stadium. He was shoulder to shoulder with Tang and Pigsy the entire time, squished between masses of other mortals as they piled into the building. Finding their seats was just as hard, needing to make sure they were on the right floor, then the right section, the right row, the right seats.

He felt overwhelmed. "Ugh- I don't like this." he grumbled, squeezed against Pigsy like a sardine.

"We're almost there." Pigsy started a sort of train line, letting Tang and Wukong hold onto the back of his shirt as he guided them towards the seat. Wukong didn't exactly need to do this, because he would never actually lose sight of these two, but it felt kind of funny. A little conga line of sorts, each of them following the other's lead.

Tang especially needed someone to hold onto, so easily distracted by the stores and vendors. "Ooh! Look at all the food. And the merch?? Ah! Pigsy they have a new T-shirt out on sale for the match tonight!" he squealed. Pigsy didn't quite hear him up front, waving Tang off a little.

Wukong made sure the man stayed close, tugging his arm when he got so easily distracted. Intending to grab his wrist, Wukong aimed just a few inches lower and grabbed his hand. It was soft and warm- catching Wukong off guard by how intimate it felt. Wukong wanted to say he was an affectionate person, but personal space was always a hit or miss. People like the Tribe, his son, and Mihou- all three had been family and people he trusted to show his tender side to. He held a very strong wall against anyone else. Hugs of any kind were off the table. He could tease them, have some playful banter- but anything actually physically was not something up for debate unless given some time. Even after all his years with the Brotherhood he hadn't gotten that physically affectionate with them- Azure Lion being the only exception.

It was overwhelming then, when within just a short time he had already welcomed Pigsy and Tang so drastically into his life and boundaries. It had taken years to gain this sort of bond with his companions to the West.

"Wu?"

He was still holding Tang's hand.

"Oh!" realizing this, his eyes lifted in a panic. His face was burning with quiet humiliation. It was just an accident of course, all he had to do was pull away and apologize. No harm no foul- he could brush it off and quietly belittle himself. "Sorry I-" retreating he was stopped when Tang held firm.

The mortal was staring at their entangled hands, his smile slowly curling in a cheshire like smirk. "...Pff..."

Like a crackle of electricity, the Monkey King yanked his hand back. It was too late however, Tang tightening his fingers in a vice grip. Their eyes locked, Wukong's embarrassment turning to anger at Tang's smug face. The two hunched forward, fighting against the other to take control of the situation. Pigsy felt Wukong release his shirt and turn around, confused.

He frowned at the sight of the two fully grown men wrestling each other's arms and hands. One trying to keep their hands together while the other was desperately attempting to flee.

"Letgoletgoletgoletgo...!" Wukong whispered heatedly.

"Nevernevernevernever...!"

The two shuffled in a tiny circle, Tang winning when he faked pain. "Owwy~"
Wukong reeled back, freezing all movements. "S-Sorry I-!"

Tang was already spinning, tugging Wukong by the hand. "Let's go, Wu! Gotta find our seats."

Beside them, in a very embarrassingly similar situation, a grumpy teen was being led by the hand by his Mother.

"!!" Wukong's mouth fell open at the clear comparison, his face bruning. "AaAaAa! Pigsy!" Wukong whined, waving his hand frantically to try and free himself.

"Not dealing with this." Pigsy, the equivalent of an exhausted Father, shook his head.

"Don't wanna lose our way now~" Officially on task and focused up, Tang proudly took the lead. "Don't you worry, Wu~ Tangy's got you!" he patted Wukong's hand with his other, grasping his hand with both of his own- like a parent leading his child through the crowd. This was just far too much fun to tease his easily flustered friend. Like some really big kid~ A lovely kid.

"Aaaaa...." Wukong was burying his face into his arm, head down in shame.

Eventually finding their seats, the three took a moment to just appreciate the view and victory in finally getting there. And for Wukong to finally rip his hand away, inspiring an evil little sneer from his so called "Friends".

"You are the worst." he grumbled.

"You grabbed his hand first." Pigsy folded his arms, acting aloof but clearly smirking. Wukong snapped his glare to him instead.

"Ahh! I despise you two!" he growled, waving his arms around. He was seriously regretting going to this now! Being treated like some child or something! Like a-

LIttle brother.

All at once he stopped moving, hands on his lap and staring ahead. Trying not to show it in his face, less he would get some questions to why he was holding back a mouth splitting grin.

"When does this thing start?" he asked instead.

"Well there is a performance in about- 20 minutes." Pigsy glanced at his watch. "With some pre show annoucements." It gave them some time, or most specifically, it gave Wukong time to take it in.

The music was blaring above them, seas of people trickling in from all entrances. Everyone was cheering and chanting and talking- at one point someone even began a wave to pump everyone up for what was to come.

The rush of the crowd and buzzing excitement against his senses was familiar. When Tang and Pigsy threw their arms up, so did Wukong with a cheer. He found himself being drawn to his younger days. When had he last let himself indulge in such pleasantries?

The thrill of a good fight? All battles for the longest of times had tormented his brain. Each involving him taking down a dear friend or love.

There was once a time though, long ago when fights would give him such a thrill. It wasn't about the fate of others or the moral ambiguity of his actions- It was just him and his opponent, testing the limits of their strengths. Even now he found the notion still appealing. He wouldn't mind a good natured fight like that.

Glancing at Tang and Pigsy, he had worried he might be a third wheel of sorts since they already knew each other so well, but the two had made sure to stick the simian right between them. They leaned over to half near yell at him over the crowd.

"Having fun yet? Want something to drink? Do you see the bleachers over there? Some people even throw chairs into the ring! Can you see well enough??" they yelled different questions,

In a far different setting than the Noodle Shop, the two were more open and.. Kind of wild? A spark of youth and vigor that showed in their grins and eyes.

"Alright make your bets." Pigsy settled his hands on his knees, leaning forward. "Behemoth or Gladiator? Who is gonna win??"

"20 on Gladiator. He may have lost last time, but that's just made him work twice as hard for an epic comeback." Tang chipped in.

Wukong honestly didn't know either of these two fighters, so was half tempted to just agree with Tang. For the bet's sake though, he chose the other option. "I'll go with Behemoth then?"

"Your 20 dollars are mine, Wu." Tang said with utmost certainty.

Wukong raised an eyebrow, a spark of curiosity and... challenge. "Oh? So sure are we?"

"100%." Tang says with an indifferent look. "I'm never wrong."

Wukong felt a prickle of something familiar in the back of his neck. He smirked, "Wanna make this more interesting then?"

Pigsy frowned, looking back and forth between the two like a tennis match. Wanting to warn Wukong to be careful about this, considering Tang was a manipulator of sorts when it came to bets- but he held his tongue. The guy had to learn one way or another and personally, he was excited for the show. Tang had the guy far too wrapped around his little finger, so this was the perfect way to loosen that hold. If only just a little.

"I'm listening." Tang folded his arms.

"If Gladiator wins, I'll do whatever you want for a week. But if Behemoth wins... You gotta be Pigsy's errand boy to pay for your meals." Wukong's lips curled into a smirk, playful.

Tang's eyes widened in a sort of horror, followed by a pig-like keeling sound from Pigsy. "Oh! Oh that is brilliant!" he cackled. "Behemoth has my vote now. I'm with Wu on this one."
"I see." Tang frowned indignantly, pushing up his glasses. "Very well, I shall have you both rue the day you decide to cross me."

Wukong chuckled, impishly grinning. He had missed this. Missed having fun and teasing.

Above them, the lights shook and changed colors. A person was taking to the stage to welcome the crowd and announce the fighters of the evening. It was Wukong's chance to learn a little bit of what was going on- at least, he thought so.

Not too interested in the opening, Tang rose. "Come on Wukong, come get a corn dog with me!" he tugged on his arm. He had been eager for this particular thing all night and now was the best time to do it!

"Get me some stuff too." Pigsy waved them off, his eyes locked on the opening.

"Oh! Uh- sure!" Wukong eagerly scrambled up the steps with the man. Standing in a far too long line, they bought an assortment of treats and drinks. Balancing them precariously between their arms, they carefully returned. Back at the bleachers, the three clinked their beers together with joy. Wukong glanced down at his drink quietly.

This would be his first sip of alcohol since Xiaotian was born. His heart felt heavy, the swirls of foam drawing his eyes. Years of memories were hitting him like a brick. Empty bottle after empty bottle, yet nothing seemed to fill him. He had been a bottomless pit. Tightening his grip, Wukong gulped. He hadn't really considered it an issue- but now that he was here with a drink in his hand he felt he fully got to see himself.

His only friend had been a bottle the last 500 years.

Pathetic, really. Swirling the drink, he sighs quietly. He wasn't sure if he would consider it an addiction, but he definitely thrived off it for a long time. Perhaps he was lucky it was something he could easily toss aside when Xiaotian was born.

"Hey, Wukong!" Pigsy was drawing his eye, dragging him from his thoughts. 'You zoned out there. You okay?"
"Huh?" Wukong tilting his head. "Oh! Uh- yeah. Yeah I'm fine." he nodded. "Sorry. What were we saying?"
'The drinks." Pigsy held them up.

Tang, surprisingly more party oriented then Wukong first believed, was nudging him. "Come on Wu, start us off! Chug!"

The simian felt himself grinning, entranced in the comradery. Not wishing to let down his boisterous companions he chugged the beer in one go. Winning a cheer from the Pig and human. His head buzzed in delight at their praise, chuckling. It had been quite some time since he felt so welcomed. He laughed openly, making a joke from time to time- getting a laugh. Tang and Pigsy chugged their drinks with him.

"Another!" Pigsy had already pulled them out, handing them each one. Wukong eyed the beer with a somber acceptance. The last time he had tasted the burn of alcohol was in a far darker time in his life. It was bitter back then, giving a fake comfort that lasted only a short time. Now, it left a pleasant warmth in his cheeks. His elbows continuously pumped into Pigsy's and Tang's- their voice filling his chest.

For the next hour they enjoyed the performance of dancers and singers alike, all small-time in town bands trying to make their way in the world. Some were good, some not so much- but that didn't stop the three from cheering and clapping at all the attempts.

Then it was time for what they had really arrived for. The Match.

As the battle began, the two warriors- or boxers, took to the ring. They swung at the other, ducking and circling the other. Tang was cheering loudly, clapping his hands. The corn dogs he had bought were messy against his fingers.

"Let's go!" Pigsy yelled. Focusing on his choice of champion he cheered along with Pigsy, both eager to win and rub it in Tang's face. Their opponent sipped his drink without a bat of his eye, confident in his choice. Oddly cool headed, which was concerning, but Wukong tried not to focus on it.

Not long after the bell tolled, signaling the end of the first period. Wukong figured this out quick enough as he watched the two champions return to their sides of the ring to drink some water and consult with their teams. These weren't exactly long in betweens so he had to be quick.

He patted his knees, his thoughts subconsciously thinking back to MK. His baby- how was he doing? Was he doing alright? Did he need him? Was he safe? "Can I use your phone?" he asked Pigsy. The chef tore off a bite of his corndog, side-eying him.

"Oh yeah, right, right." he riffled through his pocket, "You should really get a phone." he told him, setting his own in Wukong's hand.

The simian shrugged, "I don't really get technology that much. It's confusing."

"You sound like such a geezer." Pigsy shaked his head. "How old are you, anyway?"

"Not as young as I look but older than you would think." Wukong replied simply, flipping on the phone to go through Pigsy's contacts.

"That was annoyingly vague." Pigsy scowled, confused by his own words. "Go outside to make your call. You'll have better reception."

"Tell MK I said hiii." Tang drawled out, a warm red in his cheeks and a slur in his voice. He giggled, waving his corndog around.

"Are you already wasted, Tang?" Pigsy demanded, "Cause you had one beer. ONE."

"Shhhhh." Tang put his finger to his lips to quiet his friend. "No I'm not~" he sang before leaning over to whisper, "I am though. I am."

"I know you are." Pigsy rolled his eyes.

Wukong inched around the clearly drunk mortal, heading back up the steps to beyond. Glad it was far quieter out in the main hall area he called Sandy.

After a few rings the screen changed from black to a bright blue face. "Mr. Wukong!" the man gushed, grinning. "Figured you'd be calling soon. Wanting an MK check up?"

Wukong nodded with a little smile, eyes searching the screen wildly. "How is he? Is he okay? Has he cried at all?" he brushed the back of his palm to his mouth. It wasn't like Xiaotian would smell the alcohol on him but he still felt self conscious about, worried how red his face might be.

"Oh, he is doing great!" Sandy praised, turning the camera to show little Xiaotian doodling away in his coloring book. A bowl of freshly cut peaches was beside him and so was Ke. Mo was even sprawled over the child's legs, the two the best of friends at the moment. "He is such a little angel." Sandy cooed, "I don't think I've ever watched a kid so quiet and nice." he got a little closer. "Oh, MK~" he drew the boy's attention. "Look who is calling?"

MK turned his head, star filled eyes making Wukong's legs feel weak. He wanted to run home to him right now~! "Hey, Star." he gave a smile and waved. "How is my little guy doing?"

MK blinked a few times, confused. Crawling closer he stood in front of Sandy, still wearing his new clown shoes. He took a hold of Sandy's hand to turn the camera in a better angle. "Dada?" he asked

"Hi, Cub~" Wukong chuckled again. MK quizzically took in the screen, very puzzled. He tapped it once, bringing it so close all Wukong could see was the top of his child's head.

"Dada...? Dada stuck...? Stuck?" his child shook the camera a little.

"No no, Dada isn't stuck." Wukong explained quickly, having a feeling this would happen.

Sandy adjusted the camera again so Wukong could see MK properly. His little child's eyes were searching, batting the screen lightly. He couldn't smell or touch his Dada... was he stuck just like that other kid back home? The one in the Mir-ror ???

"Listen, Star. I'm gonna be home a little bit later. I hope Sandy and you are getting along." he smiles. He glanced at Sandy, who seemed rather intact. They were both sitting on the floor, the room looking relatively okay. His boy seemed to actually be having a lot of fun, which assured him. "I should probably get back in there for the next round but just wanted to check in really fast." he tells Sandy. "T...Thanks for watching the kid for me," he says.

"Of course, Mr. Wukong. He's wonderful." Sandy patted MK's head, who was still pouting at the screen. He'd figure out how to get his Dada out of there one day. He just had to think... He turned to head back to his papers, planning to devise a plan of action and definitely not get distracted!

One circle into it and he was already distracted, coloring a picture of Sandy.

"And he's completely forgotten me." Wukong pouted, shaking his head. Giving Sandy a wave, he looked at his boy one more time. "Bye." he nods, hanging up. Holding the phone to his chest for a moment he exhaled. They will be fine.

With that done he returned to Pigsy, his chest feeling lighter. He handed him back his phone, "I miss anything?"

Pigsy handed him his beer back, shaking his head. "Nah, not really-" Pigsy threw his hands up at a cheap throw tossed in the ring. "Oh come on!"

Wukong jumped, chuckling as he took a good swig of his drink. It was fun. It was loud. It was mind numbing at the same time with how many people were around. Pigsy and Tang's smell were strong, reminding him constantly of their presence.

When had he last let himself just appreciate the person next to him. Their hands around his shoulders, cheering and yelling. Their faces flush from the alcohol but their smiles wide. There was this warmth in his chest. To think this time last year, he was secluded in the mountain, miserable and alone. He smiled a little down at his feet, clearing his throat to catch the attention of his friends.
"Hey um-" he felt nervous, taking up Pigsy and Tang's attention.

"You okay?" they asked.

He nods, "Yeah. I uh- thanks." Wukong drawled out, waving his beer a little. "For taking me out tonight." he felt a heat in his face, glancing down awkwardly. "It's been a while since I did this."

The other two glanced at each other for a moment. A moment of soft little smiles that quickly grew into tormenting grins. "Aww, precious Wu." Tang pinched the man's cheeks. "Aren't you just adorable~" He wrapped an arm around Wukong to side hug him, patting his back assuringly.

"Wha-" Wukong's eyes locked in on his fingers, frowning when his cheeks were pinched.

"Just a sweet little guy." Pigsy cooed, pinching his other cheek. The alcohol was starting to seep in. Or, maybe it had a long time ago.

"Says the little guy." Wukong narrowed his eyes, batting Pigsy's pinching fingers away from his cheek. Tang cupped his face, squishing his cheeks.

"So precious!" yeah, he was definitely drunk.

"Ugh- stop!" he yelled when the two continued to try and pester and pinch his cheeks like some baby. He stole Tang's beer to chug it himself, not wanting him to touch even a drop more.

Tang wailed in betrayal, falling right off his chair with a hiccup.

"...I'm not picking him up." Pigsy declared.

Wukong sighs.
——————-

With the adults gone, Sandy was alone with the small child. The night had started off pretty normal up until Wukong called to check in. After hanging up, Sandy picked up a few of the scattered blocks to clean up a little.

He stared at the small little boy under his care, beaming. Something about kids was just so endearingly adorable. "Alright, little fella." he mused, drawing the boy's attention. Sandy sat on the ground before the child, a puppet on his hand. "Time for a show~!" he cheered, waving the puppet side to side. Xiaotian's eyes grew twice in size, utterly entranced.

He scooted closer, sitting crisscrossed. He dazzled the boy with a tale of a Princess and a Wolf, opting for a more good natured story of how instead of being enemies the two were the best of friends.

They went everywhere together, having such fun and helping people along the way. MK was enamored by the sight, his little mouth hanging open. Sometimes he would reach out to touch the little puppets, cooing so sweetly at the feel of the fabric.

Eating his peaches and nodding along to Sandy's story. The man was so big but told him such amazing things. Stories of warriors and friendship and magical things!

He liked these stories just as much as his Dada's. And when Sandy read books to him, he actually read them, so that was new. Some of his favorite stories had slight differences to Wukong's versions, but MK liked them both the same.

As the hour drew to the end, so did MK's bowl. Sometimes he found himself glancing around the room, looking for his Dada. Seeing Wukong was gone he reminded himself that his Father had left for a time. Which was fine... He just kept forgetting and then distracting himself with something new.

Then looking for him again.

It made MK just a tad bit antsy. Sandy was patient with him however, offering the child whatever he wished to help lift his mood. Rocking him, reading to him, playing with him- chasing both Mo and him around in a fun game of chase.

Out of all the people he had met, MK felt he liked Sandy the most. Tang gave warm hugs and kisses to his head, Pigsy gave him colors and food- but Sandy held him the warmest arms and told him the nicest things. Plus, his hair was so fun to pull at!

Of course, his favorite friend might just change within the hour, as it tended to, but his Dada was his number one always.

"Alright MK." Sandy rose, taking the child's empty bowl of peaches. "I'll be right back." he headed down the hall. MK stared after him, sniffing the air. He smelled noodles, Sandy, Mo, Pigsy- Oh?

And his Papa? Wondering if his Papa had returned, MK crawled down the hall.

Sandy was busy taking care of the dishes, washing it out and setting it to the drying rack. Cleaning his hands he dried them, humming joyfully. He turned,  pausing at the mirror Pigsy kept along his wall. He stared at himself quietly.

A flash of another man slipped its way behind his eyes. He frowned, gingerly touching his own cheek. Sometimes he still felt like a stranger in his own skin. He hoped he was doing a good job in keeping his expression easy and nice compared to the scary face he was told he had growing up.

He didn't want to scare MK with a face like his.

He chided himself, reminding himself he shouldn't think like that. Nothing was wrong with his face.

Glancing at the time, he figured he should probably give MK his bottle here soon. It was such fun babysitting! The toys, the little giggles- he himself had never really considered kid's before, but he certainly did love getting a chance to take care of them.

He felt happy his friends trusted him with such an important task, and hoped to prove to Mr. Wukong as well he was someone the man could trust. He had heard so much about him from Tang and Pigsy that Sandy had been so eager to properly meet and talk to the man. After meeting him, Sandy wasn't disappointed in the slightest It was funny, something about Mr. Wukong made Sandy happy.

Like seeing an old friend.

He was positive he had only just met the man today, but that didn't change this coursing joy that consumed his veins. It was quite the strange urge he had to fight to not just embrace the man the moment they shook hands for the first time.

Chuckling to himself he turned around, freezing when his eyes swept over the counter to the dining area.

Somehow MK was on the table where Wukong had set the bag. He was going through it, sniffing for something until he came across a ballcap. It must have been Wukong's considering it was far too big for the child to wear.

"Dada..! Found!" MK grinned, nuzzling the hat and sniffing it. He turned, his legs dangling precariously off the table.

Sandy flinched, startled and rushed to him. "Whoa there fella, don't wanna fall..! How did you-?" he scooped him up, wondering if MK had climbed up here. But how..? Normal babies didn't climb that well. Confused, he set MK on the ground to fix up the table cloths on the table. "Alright well, let's get back to playing-" he turned, stunned MK wasn't exactly where he left him.

He whipped back and forth wildly, searching for the baby. The child in question had made it into the kitchen, up onto the counter and was crawling across where Pigsy normally made his noodles.

Sandy rushed to stop him, panicking. "Ah! Wait wait-!" he snagged the child around his waist, holding him away with one hand to rapidly scrub down the area from where MK's shoes and germ covered hands had touched. Pigsy tended to keep this space immaculate and would kill him if even a speck of dirt got into the area. Rubbing it down he looked back at MK, "Okay fella,  now worries. Let's just-" MK was incredibly light in his grip and- GONE? HOW?! The distinct lack of a child he definitely knew he had been holding a moment ago was mind boggling!

"M-MK?!" He looked around, the child spotted just seconds before disappearing down the hall by the little squeaks of his shoes. At least it was easier to hear him when he walked over crawled but how was he so speedy??

Sandy rushed around the hall to follow suit, his mind spinning. That was... weird??

Picking up the boy, Sandy held him out. "You are one fast little kid." he praised, out of breath.

Stepping back into the playroom, keeping his eyes locked with MK this time, he plopped the child down on a pillow.

He stared at him for a long time, waiting for- something to happen. Some sign that MK was ducking away or incredibly fast, but the child just sat there; Staring.

"Huh..." Sandy scratched his head. Well, whatever. "You are just good at disappearing I guess." he mused. MK smiled, eager for more games and tapping his hands together. Sandy reached out to pet the slumbering Mo on the couch.

Thinking of a good game, he snapped his fingers.

"Peek a boo." Sandy covered his eyes and uncovered them. MK leaned back, startled when Sandy seemed to just disappear into thin air!

"Oo?" Then, all at once, he was back again. What sort of magic was this??

"Peek a boo." Sandy repeated. MK giggled this time, amazed! He clapped for his new friend to do it again and again!

"Peek a boo!" When Sandy lifted his hands, MK stared at his own. "Peek a boo..." Wanting to mimic the man, the little boy lifted his hands to cover his eyes. He could make Sandy disappear too.

As he did so, something in the room seemed to... shift.

Sandy could feel it in the back of his head, warning him that something was happening. Startled, he lowered his hands, confused why the room seemed so much darker suddenly. "Um..?"

The shadows from the lamp seemed deeper. They stretched out like hands, casting the area in a quick blanket of darkness.

Peek a boo

MK covered his eyes... and Sandy fell.

From the depths of his own shadow a portal seemed to open up like an abyss. It swallowed the man up before he could even recognize what was happening.

Sandy screamed as he plummeted downward. Caught in a spiral of black and shadow. It was like the darkness of the room had devoured him. What was happening?? He swung around, worried this strange occurrence was happening to MK as well, but the child was nowhere in sight. But Sandy could hear him, as clear as day.

MK's innocent giggle filtered in the air. The child was playing...?

Whatever this was, MK considered it nothing more than a silly game. He had truly made Sandy disappear.

Innocent and sweet he heard this tune of laughter, circling him. Sandy spun wildly, no gravity available to keep him upright. "M-MK...!" He yelled, attempting to swim through this sea of nothing. Panic was clutching him, not exactly a huge fan of the dark normally. Even though... this didn't exactly feel like his life was at risk, it definitely wasn't something he wanted to be caught up in! 

If this was MK's doing, then the child must have assumed this was a game. As such, he yelled, "Peek a boo! Game's over...! Time to end the game now~!"

At once everything froze. Sandy whimpered, eyes wide and glancing around for any hope this was ending. His body was moving, surging, shooting upward!!

Popping out of the shadow, Sandy grunted as he smacked against the floor. MK was howling with laughter, rolling onto his back and clapping to do it again.

Face flat into the ground, Sandy groaned. Slowly unsticking his face, his eyes were swirling. "Ugh..." remembering where he was he sat up, panting. He whipped his head back and forth, stunned.

The baby was grinning at him. "Again..!" As MK reached to cover his eyes, Sandy scrambled to stop him. He took MK's hands gently into his own.

"Whoa there fella..." despite the shiver down his back, he spoke softly. "I think that's enough peek a boo." The words nearly felt cursed now. Slowly he lowered MK's hands down, patting the boy's head. To appease the pouting boy, not quite satisfied with play time, he offered his coloring book instead. This seemed to work fine, MK crawling to sit in front of the lamp that had been settled on the floor.
"G-Good. Have fun coloring." Sandy laughed nervously.

With MK on the ground, Sandy was quietly watching. He rubbed his eyes positive he was seeing things. He glanced around the room, finding nothing had really changed. Mo was still asleep on the couch, the furniture was the same. If he hadn't experienced it first hand he would never have guessed what had just happened.

"What was that...?" he murmured, confused. The light from the little lamp playing tricks on his eyes for sure. As he titled his head, the boy's shadow seemed to... move. And not in the way MK was.

The shadow turned to look at him, piercing white eyes staring at him from the wall. Sandy tensed, feeling his blood turn cold at such a menacing look. Like something was living within MK's shadow, staring him down. Watching... waiting.

MK happily doodles, none the wiser to this event. Sandy was positive he was losing his mind, blinking widely at the sight. His breathing felt heavy, choking in his chest at this strange feeling of... was it fear? He didn't understand.

What was even weirder was that the shadow of MK had... a tail? It swirled behind him, flicking against the air. He looked at MK himself, confused since the child had no signs of this tail but his shadow did?

"U-Um..."

The shadow smiled, lifted its hand, and dared to wave. Sandy awkwardly waved back, watching the shadow return to mimicking MK in what he was doing. Like nothing had happened at all.
"....I think I've had too much Tea." Sandy murmured in a ghostly voice, setting the glass to the side for now.

Note to self: never play peek a boo with MK ever again.
—————-

"See right here, I would have gone for an underhook." Wukong shakes his head, "If you are quick enough you can catch them off guard."

"And if you aren't quick enough, you'd just get knocked out flat." Pigsy snorted.

Wukong gave a little smug smile, "Good thing I would be fast enough."
"Hah, yeahhh right." Pigsy rolled his eyes. Red faced and finishing his last beer for the night, Pigsy snorted. The match was drawing to its end, if the slower speed of the two were anything to go by. Stamina was in short supply. Tang was wrong when he insisted Gladiator had really trained hard for this rematch, matching Behemoth in speed and strength. However, as the more experienced fighter, Behemoth wasn't backing down either. He was shoving back against his opponent, knocking him against the edge of the ring.

"Oh..!" Wukong and Pigsy gasped, perking up at the sight of a change in tactics. The turn they were looking for. "Yes! Go for it!"

For a moment, Gladiator seemed to be in a corner. Hit over and over and over- seemingly too exhausted to really do more than just defend. One hit. Two. Three- a spark of determination overtook him. Gladiator swung...!

One crackling punch to the nose and the Behemoth was going down. In his fall, Tang rose to his feet. "Yes!"

"NOO!" Wukong and Pigsy hunched forward in despair, their champion fallen.

"Prepare for the worst week of your life, Wu!" Tang laughed, a rather evil sound coming from his normally innocent looking face. For someone so sweet looking his cackle was wicked.

Wukong sunk into his seat, feeling nervous. "Pigsy."
His friend swayed, shaking his head in regret, "I should have tried to warn you." he says, blaming himself for this outcome. "There is nothing I can do, Wu."

"Noooooooo." Wukong groaned. Looking up at Tang, the glint of his glasses was terrifying. His mind was racing on what exactly the mortal might have him do. Clean? Do errands all day? Spend all his money on getting every culinary delight Tang felt hungry for??

As Tang reached for him, Wukong recoiled. "Not my poor wallet." he pouted.

"Hah..." Instead of a teasing tug or pinch to his ear, Tang's hand ruffled Wukong's hair. A sensation that the King hadn't felt since he last saw his Master. He hated the notion at first, long ago. It frustrated him, and made him feel like the great Monk was looking down at him somehow whenever he offered such tender affection.

By the end of the journey, he valued it. Perhaps even craved it.

A second of acceptance and affirmation to the Monkey's very existence by someone who meant the world to him.

Lifting his head, Wukong nervously peeked at Tang. That same look was on his face. He was different, of course, but his Master was still there deep down.

"Did you have fun...?" Tang inquired, a small hiccup spilling from his lips. He chuckled and covered his mouth, a little sway to his knees. He was clearly drunk, but Wukong nodded to his question anyway.

"Yes."

"Good." Tang was satisfied with that, giving Wukong's head one last pat before he collapsed back into the bleacher chair, officially passing out for the night. A drunken flush to his face and a little smile at his mouth.

Pigsy grouched, "I ain't carryin' him...'' he stood, but despite his words, he started to crawl over Wukong to gather Tang in his arms. Feebly he tried to reach him, his fingers not quite working how they should in his hazy state. "..Wukong. Help." the Pig demanded.

Standing to help the two, Wukong felt the world spin for a moment. He glanced down to the several cans the three of them had consumed together.

It was a strong brew. Way stronger than what he usually got his hands on at his mountain.

Reaching out, he fumbled to pick up Tang. He picked up Pigsy instead.

"No." Pigsy frowned, head lulling to the side. "Tanggggggg.'' He pressed his hand against Wukong's face to shove him back. The two stumbled, wobbling. After a moment of collecting themselves, they both grabbed Tang's arms.

Knowing they needed to get home they wobbled up the stadium steps. The event was over and all the patrons were making their way home for the night. It was a miracle the three in particular even got out of the stadium.

Bumping into others the entire time, giving drunken apologies and incoherent babbles. The three of them sauntered down the road, bubbles of laughter filtering between them.
"And when the gladiator got tossed that chair-!" Pigsy snorted, "The look on Behemoth's face!"

"I know right??" Wukong clutched his stomach, leaning into Tang as they balanced the drunken story teller between them. Dragging the man through the streets and laughing up a storm.

Wukong ended up tripping over a trash can,

In his taunting laugh, Pigsy fell over the curb and landed messily on the road. "Ugh..." Tang was tucked against his chest, snoring away.

By some miracle, they made it home. It wasn't exactly horribly late, but definitely far enough into the night they shouldn't have been making enough noise. This didn't stop the three from loudly entering the noodle shop in a drunken song.

Sandy gawked at them, looking up from his book. Lowering it, sensing what had happened, he calmly approached the three to pick up Sandy first. "Alrighty you three, off you bed." The deal had been for Wukong to return for MK and go home, but he definitely didn't let anyone leave in this state. So, he tucked in Tangy first, letting him take the spare bed. Next was Pigsy, who was already fumbling his way to his room and kicking off his shoes.

The only tough one was Wukong, who clung to the door like a tree, refusing to part with his new "Friend". No matter what Sandy said it wouldn't draw the man from the entrance. It took a lot of thought, but finally Sandy told him how MK had fallen asleep in the back rooms in a big pile of blankets and pillows. His interest drawn, Wukong's hands released the door.

Sandy couldn't help but notice the hand indentations against the area when he did so. "...??"

"Xiaotiannnnnn." Wukong fumbled down the hall, almost tripping again at the end. Catching himself, he wandered around in the darkness. Barely able to see his own two feet, Wukong slid to the ground. Feeling around aimlessly he finally found what he was looking for. Curled against the small mat, surrounded by blankets on the floor, was his child. He wiggled closer, curling around his child to nuzzle his head. "My Baby~" he chirped. "I'm home~"

His child stirred only a little, chirping in response to his Father and turning against his chest as he did every night.

At the doorway Sandy stood, clicking his teeth at the sight of the passed out man and child. "Well... would be rude to wake them." he mused, gathering a one blanket extra to cover them up.

Turning off the light in the hall he debated on what he should say tomorrow when the four arose. It wasn't everyday that you would see a kid control the shadows the way MK did.

Was Wukong aware?

Heading back to close the shop doors, he found it was hard to do so since Wukong bent the wood with his hands. He was certainly strong, wasn't he? He rubbed his chin in deep thought, managing to force the door closed and locking it up for the night. Questions for tomorrow.

For now... he was exhausted and was eager to sleep.

-----------

Love found family stories ;-;

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.8K 864 24
Simpin' for chimps and more! Potentially slow updates. [Note: I don't take requests as I prefer writing stories I'm actually interested in myself.]
10K 222 20
Y/n, Pigsy's adopted daughter and little sister to MK was living her normal life until something happened. When her brother becomes the successor of...
Magnolia By mariedel22

General Fiction

4.5K 77 23
After MK's body is lost in the battle with Lady Bone Demon, Wukong becomes desperate to keep what little remains of his loved ones-even going as far...
16.1K 432 10
The battle of Mk and the Lady Bone Demon had ended, but nobody knew how injured Mk was until they all made it back to their normal lives. !READ THIS...