Sage's Resurrection

By dikshf

"I have found you to be worthy of being my successor." Naruto Uzumaki was a boy who was snubbed and looked do... More

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45

Chapter 36

489 12 2
By dikshf

"So, pervy sage, what the hell are we doing here in Kirigakure?" Naruto shouldered his bag.

The two stood on a cliff overlooking the island where the Hidden Village stood. True to its name, a heavy mist shrouded the land.

The coastline was beautiful from what Naruto could see, large limestone karsts towering over the surroundings, each dotted with flora that scraped the sea.

Grass and flowers bloomed around him.

The village itself was surrounded by these earthen towers as a natural barrier, with only one opening to the village.

The bay in the island was under a bridge which should have had numerous ships in transit.

And yet, it remained barren of any vessels.

The port, too, was strange. Every single boat there was firmly anchored to the ocean floor, barely swaying to the waves.

"How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?" Jiraiya grumbled. "Besides, an informant has a lead on the Akatsuki."

Naruto rolled his eyes. "Sure, I guess. If the Akatsuki's here, shouldn't we be going the other way?"

"Now come on, it'll take a day or two. In and out adventure. Besides, it's good to see the world while you're still young!"

Naruto shook his head before following Jiraiya as the older man ran across the rocks.

The two landed a decent distance away from the village before Jiraiya pressed his hand to the ground, causing a toad to appear.

Jiraiya motioned to it. "Get in. Just because you're not signing any summoning contracts doesn't mean that you can't use them to hitch a ride. They know that you're with me."

Naruto acquiesced, and pulled himself into it, shrinking into it.

"So what are we waiting for?" Naruto asked.

"For the toad to get in. I picked one that looks like a native species, so no one should suspect." Jiraiya forced the mouth to open a little bit, and peeked out. "Seems that we're gonna be in here for only a little bit. So why didn't you want to sign with the toads, anyway? They're nice folk. Just because they're not human doesn't make them any less good, or polite, or whatever."

"That wasn't what I disliked. They were pleasant, but I was under the impression that I'd be bringing them to combat, and I didn't want to do that."

Jiraiya snorted. "And why not? They're strong."

"It's not because they're strong. I'm not dragging in anyone to help me fight my battles," Naruto asserted.

Jiraiya smiled, and laid his head against the toad's inner cheek. "Seems like we're almost ready to come out." The mouth opened, and the two leapt out, increasing in size as they did so.

They were in an alleyway, dingy and damp. The stone walls were cracked and chipped, yet not weathered by the winds and rain.

Seems Water is the exact same as I always remembered it, Madara commented. A lot of water.

How enlightening, Naruto bit back.

"Alright, we're in. Now to go find that informant..."

Naruto kept his chakra tightly coiled as Jiraiya handed him a disguise. He put on a wig, face mask, mist headband and spare clothes.

"Is this necessary? Shouldn't we just use a transformation now that we're in?"

"Keep it simple, kid. The classic approaches are classic for a reason." Jiraiya slipped into his own disguise with ease before they stepped out.

Many of the people kept to themselves, glancing at their headbands before turning to look at the ground.

They're scared of us, Naruto realised. Why?

Naruto heard a distant explosion and turned to face it.

The buildings' foundations were cracked, small pieces of rubble littering the streets.

Jiraiya motioned to a tavern and entered.

Naruto followed suit.

The tavern was surprisingly bright inside, lamps bursting with lightning chakra adorning the walls. It was nearly full, all manner of people seeking a drink to wash away their worries or maybe just celebrating a success.

Jiraiya glanced around for a moment before sitting at a table.

The woman's posture shifted, straightening from a lazy slouch. "Hello, Jiraiya. Is this for business or are you just here for me?"

"Good to see you again, Yuzuki. What is it that you wanted to tell me?"

"Business, then. You remember the civil war here, right?" Jiraiya nodded and gestured for her to continue.

The nonchalant statement threw Naruto off. A civil war here? When? Why?

"The leader of the to-be usurpers failed to assassinate the Mizukage, and he's furious. He's been leading raids on the rebels, bringing the power of his biju to bear against them. They're probably counting their lucky stars that he doesn't know their actual hideout.

Terumi, in response, has hired the Akatsuki to defeat the Mizukage."

Jiraiya nodded. "I see. Couldn't finish the job herself, so she bought the strongest fighters she could. Who went to complete the mission, and where is the hideout?"

She slid him a napkin.

"At minimum, Kisame Hoshigaki and one other."

"Really? Any description for the other one?"

"Black hair, slim build. I think it's Itachi Uchiha, but a lot of ninja fit that description, so..."

Jiraiya shook his head. "Wonderful. Alright, is there anything you want to drink?"

Yuzuki shook her head. "I was about to go home. I have other things to be doing." She stood up and walked away.

Jiraiya grabbed his shoulder. "Well, that's us done here. We should get going."

The two exited the tavern and were immediately met with a spray of wood and shrapnel.

Naruto covered his eyes with his arm and squinted.

Itachi slid across the stones before turning to them. "Leave. Our employer has requested that we minimise civilian casualties to our best efforts." The two nodded and leapt away.

They heard a second crash, and Kisame was following after the jinchuriki he'd just slammed through the rubble.

Oh, that's Isobu. What's wrong with his chakra? Kurama asked.

The two reached a spot away from all the fighting and stopped.

"Kurama says that Isobu's chakra was messed up. Like there was a genjutsu or something."

Jiraiya's eyes narrowed. "We're getting to the bottom of this."

Naruto huffed. "You said this was an in-and-out adventure!"

"Change of plans." Jiraiya jumped off.

"Hey!" Naruto shouted. He charged after Jiraiya.

The two bounded off towards an unassuming house and knocked on the door.

The ninja who answered the door promptly panicked when Jiraiya shed his disguise and his I.D.

"W-what the hell are you d-doing here?!"

"I'm here with questions. I would like for them to be answered." The man ushered them both in.

"I'm so sorry," the teen said. "I was simply startled by your presence. Would you like for me to alert Miss Mei of your presence? I'm sure that she'd love the presence of a powerful shinobi like yourself."

He filled a jar of water, and then set that on his kitchen counter.

A trap door swung open.

"Thanks for the offer, but no. I'm not particularly interested in aiding a rebellion."

He nodded, and gestured to the spiralling stairs.

The two walked down the stairs and into a well-lit bunker.

They were immediately met by a magma wyvern which hovered in front of them.

"Oh! My apologies. I thought you were an intruder. I would've put Ao on watch, but he's gone..."

Jiraiya looked very interested in Terumi's appearance. "Well... I won't mind if you..."

"I don't really have much time, you know. Much less for you. So, what have I done to get the attention of one of the Sannin?"

"Ah. Well, I've come with some questions. How did Kiri get so bad?"

"When the Kaguya clan attacked, Yagura declared war on all bloodline ninja. Some of us didn't want to roll over and die, so we banded together and fought back. Now I've got a question for you: who is this kid and why is he tagging along with you?"

"He's a student of mine. He needs to get stronger, so I've got him training and travelling the world."

She turned to him. "And what do you need to get stronger for?"

"To lead. To protect."

She smiled. "Well, if you want to learn how to lead, you need to learn how to follow. It's a different kind of strength from fighting."

"Anyway, I've seen that you hired the Akatsuki," Jiraiya said. "Do you know what they do?"

She nodded. "I do. They're collecting the Biju, right? How did you meet them?"

"They crashed into us." Jiraiya paused. "Wait, you're okay with the Akatsuki taking the Three-tails?"

She nodded again. "Why not? The Three Tails has been nothing but a burden on Kiri for a long time, after its first Jinchuriki died in battle. It's fine if they take it off our hands." She turned to the trapdoor.

"Anyway, is that everything? I have some important guests to meet soon."

They nodded and exited. Naruto left a clone behind to listen in.

"I could've sworn that I saw the chakra of a different Jinchuriki," Itachi commented.

"That's irrelevant. How did it go?" Mei stared the two rogues down like it was nothing.

Kisame grunted. "For how shit the ANBU were before I left, Yagura's been doing a damn good job at fixing the force. Me and Itachi were forced back by about two hundred of those guys. But, Itachi, who did you see? Anyone you know?"

"No. That means that it may be the Six-tails. We'll report this information after we've rested."

"Yagura is going to be even more paranoid than before, and he's going to have even more ninja patrolling. Go rest and then coordinate. I hired you two, you should be able to finish the job."

"Of course."

The clone stabbed itself, and Naruto gulped.

Jiraiya dragged Naruto through an exit as fast as he could.

"Can we please leave? We nearly got caught!"

"You're loud, aren't you? I just said that we're getting to the bottom of this! Besides, we didn't actually get caught!"

"And if we did?" Naruto protested.

"I could've taken them. Listen. You're safe while we're travelling together like this. Just stay in sight and don't get kidnapped." Jiraiya began to walk. "If it makes you feel any better, I'll try to not make as many risky moves."

"That would work," Naruto said. "So, what now?"

"Now, we continue to gather information. I want to know what the Mizukage was like before his ascent, when he was put under genjutsu, and maybe try to find out who put him under control. If it's who we think it is, he's a massive threat."

"Sounds good. Any ideas on where to find that information?"

"His former family. The Karatachi clan is well-known in the region."

"Alright, let's go."

The two found their way quickly, and jumped in front of the Karatachi compound.

It was fairly small, all things considered. Compared to those of Konoha, the Karatachi's home was tiny, barely enough to house seven or eight families.

"Halt," a guard said. "This area is restricted. Only those with special access may enter."

"Well, I've got access. Give me a moment while I fish out my book." He reached into his pockets and retrieved a standard bingo book, which he pressed into the guards hand.

Naruto didn't miss the contact that the two shared.

The guard flipped through the book and nodded. "That looks correct. You may enter." He handed it back to Jiraiya.

"Thank you." The two walked through the gate.

It was very quiet. While the size of the compound wasn't anything remotely large enough for this to be an extreme concern, it was still eerie.

The wooden beams that supported each house above the ground were warped and rotting. The metal drains that led to the sewers were rusting away, and the fish-scale roofing tiles were gone in patches.

It was clear that nobody lived here anymore.

Jiraiya exited a house with a book in hand.

"Alright, a book of family records. Let's leave."

He flipped through it, and then stopped.

There was a clear rip in the pages.

"What's wrong?"

"Yagura is nowhere in the records. Others are there, others who are younger than him, but he is not there."

"What are we going to do, then?"

"We're going to go to bed. You see the sky?" He pointed at the moon. "We're going."

The two passed the guard when Naruto asked, "Alright, do you have any houses around here?"

"I'm one of the richest authors in the world, of course I have property here." He raised the book. "The more worrying part about this is that Yagura was erased from the records, and there's nobody left to tell us what he was like. His teachers are likely dead or missing, and his entire clan is dead. Killed or otherwise, it doesn't matter."

"So what do we do?"

"We'll have to confront him. All we have to do is touch him once, and we can break any illusions on him." He took a key and unlocked the door. "We'll start planning tomorrow."

---

Naruto awoke to a splash of cold water.

"Do you have to do that?"

"We're planning, and you were out for eleven hours. Time is in short supply, so we're going to use it. All of it."

"So, plans, right? Do you know what sorts of jutsu he has?"

"It's looking like a lot of water, really. Mirrors, barriers, the works. All stuff to redirect and block attacks."

"That's it? Let's go then!"

Jiraiya shook his head and leapt through the window.

Naruto followed suit.

The Mizukage's tower was, expectedly, the tallest building in the village, towering above all the others.

The two dropped onto the roof, and a masked man appeared from through the floor, cloaked in the same black-red garb as Itachi.

"Hello there. I've been waiting quite a while, Nine-tails."

"You," Naruto bit out.

"Yes. Your suspicions are correct. However, you will not be able to confront Yagura. My subordinates are already doing so."

Jiraiya summoned two toads which leapt onto his shoulders.

"I'm the one who killed your student, Jiraiya. Do you truly believe that you can take me down?"

Jiraiya gulped and his eyes hardened. "Horseshit. Minato died a hero, sealing the nine-tails away."

Naruto drew his blade, and five bubbling tails emerged. "Who are you?"

His mangekyo blazed to life for an instant before reverting back to just the standard sharingan. "I'm just an old-fashioned man."

He appeared in front of Naruto so quickly that he barely saw him reach for his face.

Naruto stabbed, and they both slipped through each other.

Jiraiya belched out a wave of fire at the man, and the flames, too, slipped through like nothing.

The burns across Naruto's clothes slowly closed.

The masked man remained unscathed.

What... what in the world? It can't be... Madara whispered.

What? What is it, Madara? Hashirama asked.

That's Kamui, he began. Izuna had it. But these Mangekyo abilities aren't unique. Is it someone else?

Whatever! How the hell do I deal with it?

You hit him faster than he can react. But I know that you're not fast enough yet.

The man hurtled towards Naruto at full speed. Jiraiya put himself in front of Naruto, but the man phased through him.

Naruto stabbed the floor, which cracked under the man's feet.

The floor caved in, shards of rock falling with the man.

Jiraiya spewed a mass of fire out, along with gusts of oil and wind from his summons into the hole.

The two leapt away from the fire as fast as they could.

The man leapt out from the flames unscathed and closed the gap between them instantly.

Jiraiya punched at him, but the man caught it and kicked him into a building.

For the first time, he started weaving seals.

Dragon- Tiger- Snake.

Wooden roots sprouted from the ground and bound Naruto up.

"Nine-tails. You're mine."

He moved to grab Naruto.

Naruto strained against his bonds before a shard of wood grew from Naruto's abdomen.

It shot out and hit the man straight in the chest, before growing rapidly into a full tree.

The man shook before warping away in a hurry.

The last thing that Naruto sensed from him was a deep fear and panic.

Amazing! Hashirama said. Wood Style?

Jiraiya smashed the roots and grabbed Naruto.

The two stopped at the sound of a roar.

A biju's roar.

A titanic turtle turned towards them and roared, a gigantic purple orb growing in its maw.

It fired, and the ball hurtled towards them.

Itachi summoned his Susano'o and reflected the shot, which detonated on impact with Isobu.

He groaned on impact, and the biju dissipated, its chakra spent.

Kurama roared in rage.

We'll get him out. I promise.

The two continued to run.

Further, and further, and further.

Then, memories and emotions began to hit Naruto.

All nine of the biju stood around Hagoromo as he gave his words to them.

"You must remember that none of you are simply tools to power. All of you are intelligent, not monsters, no matter what anyone tells you. Although you were born from one, that does not doom any of you to the same fate."

"Kurama! Do you want to play with us?" Isobu asked.

Kurama turned to them and smiled. "Sure!"

"So, what do you want to play, big bro?"

"So you're going to the island chain, Isobu?"

The giant turtle smiled. "Yeah. I've always liked the water, but if you don't want me to go, then..."

Kurama shook his head. "No, I think you should go. It's good for you. Besides, the humans are growing ever restless. I've heard that the empire is mobilising its troops to capture us."

"You can stop them... right?"

Kurama roared at the pitiful humans who'd dared challenge him.

These two were able to box up the other biju with ease, and now they were coming after him.

His family had been taken and enslaved.

His family.

A bijudama swirled to life in his maw, and he spat it at the duo.

A blue avatar appeared and it was just like back then-

Tears began to fall from his face.

Naruto? Are you okay? Sayuri asked.

Yeah. I'm just tired.

She appeared in his mind, in full ANBU garb.

"Are you sure? I saw those memories. What happened?"

"Isobu- he's gone."

Her gaze softened, and she pulled him into a hug.

Sasuke appeared and joined the hug as well.

Naruto grabbed the two, and hoped that he'd never have to feel what Kurama just had.

-----

Hello again!

As always, schedules change in the summer, and revert right back as soon as September rolls around!

This chapter, and the next two are going to be interlude chapters that happen during the timeskip.

Naruto awakens Wood Style, but I'll let you decide how he got it. Good genetics? Soul shenanigans? Pure random chance?

And is the masked man really Obito? Or is it someone different?

We've hit six digit reads! Finally!

As always, vote and comment! Validate me!

See ya!

------

"You want to steal what?" Kisame asked, incredulous.

"There's this absolutely divine dango stall in Grass country. I want to take their recipe for myself," Itachi said while rolling his eyes.

Kisame barked out a laugh. "Guess we're all cracked in some way, aren't we, eh? Alright, where's the place?"

Itachi smiled. "In the capital. Shouldn't take all that long."

They began to stroll down the road.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.7K 945 23
Meet Naruto Uzumaki, a normal human boy with blonde spiky hair and dazzling cerulean eyes. He has tan skin and three whisker marks on each of his che...
605K 15.7K 31
He knew it, he did. He didn't accept it though. He suffered the consequences, consequences that god knew he didn't deserve to suffer. He deserved bet...
384K 7.2K 43
What if Naruto had Mokuton? How would that influence his drive to become the best Hokage the hidden leaf village had ever seen. Inspired by Hashirama...