Je T'aime

By Astra_Akivili

Furina was missing. The people of Fontaine are in shambles, scrambling to find their missing Archon. Unable t... More

Chapter 1: The Missing Archon
Chapter 2: Dinner?
Chapter 3: Blue
Chapter 4: Justice for Justice
Chapter 6: Bloom (Part 1)
Chapter 7: Bloom (Part 2)
Chapter 8: Rising Waters
Chapter 9: Black and Red
Chapter 10: A Little Language Lesson
Chapter 11: The Comfort That Carnage Brings
Chapter 12: Mirror, Mirror
Abyss Aether AU Part 1: Cursed
Modern AU: The Value of a Name
Fatui AU Part 1: A Monster

Chapter 5: It's Not A Beach Date

1.3K 40 14
By Astra_Akivili

Aether felt weirdly comfortable in the sea... lake. Lake. It was a lake. He keeps forgetting. He makes sure that the creatures are far away from the creatures. To prevent endangering them. From him. And to prevent himself from drowning...

Wait... why wasn't he drowning? 

Did his Hydro powers return or-

He tried to summon his water whip and...

All of a sudden, he couldn't breathe. He gasped for air, but that only let in the water. He wriggled and struggled, trying his best to not swallow the water. Who knows what's in it? It's definitely not clean. That's for sure. 

He tried to summon Anemo to his legs. But before he could do so... he felt a strong current. That launched him from the water to the sky.  He spat out the water back into the lake where it belonged and took a deep... breath. 

Taking a page out of Ei's book, he stepped on the electrons present in the air. Almost to make it seem that he was walking on air...  while gasping for it. He coughed and wheezed. It's not the first time he's almost drowned. He recovers quickly. And takes in the view of Fontaine from above...

It was...

Divine.

Maybe he should do this more often... 

People tend to look down instead of up more often. Nobody ever thinks to look up when they're being atta-

...

He sits down in the air... 

Why'd he think that? He's at a moment of peace. He's on a break currently. He's not going to do a... commission or a bounty or any other weird request today. Only just hanging out with Furina. And other things that need to be tended to at home.

Is it him? Or he's being restless?

Did he inherit the overworking habits of his friends?

No.

If he was, he would still be working today.

It's something completely different. But it doesn't matter... 

What matters is getting to the bottom of why his Hydro powers aren't working. He's got another chance since the Statue's close by. He'll just teleport over and tap it. If that doesn't work, then he'll just tap the other ones. Every. Single. One. Until he gets his Hydro powers back.

Meanwhile...

Furina was looking at him from below. She looked at him intently. Worried. Up until he disappeared. She checked the waters of the Golden Apple Archipelago. Not a single presence or disturbance in the waters. She did feel a presence on her Statues.

'Thanking me for saving your life? Heh. Glad that you're so devoted,' She thought to herself. 

But she pondered. He should be able to dive. He should be able to swim pretty well with the power that... he technically stole, but it was only a fraction. A small dewdrop in her ocean of power. 

'That shouldn't be right... Last time I checked, that small drop was inside him. I could've sworn that-' She tried to check for her fragment of power inside Aether. 

It was gone.

What?

That didn't make sense.

Has he lost his Hydro powers? Why? Was he affected by the waters of the Primordial Sea? But the report stated that it only enhanced the Traveler's sensitivity to the waters. And he's not Fontainian. So there would be no way that he would...

But the evidence was clear. He nearly drowned and he didn't have any of his Hydro powers. She felt him disappear from her Statue's vicinity. And then felt his presence a second later. And again. And again. It happened again.

'Isn't he a little too devoted?' She thought. 'Maybe he's trying to get my power through the Statue..., but I don't feel any of them waning in power at all.'

'...Hold on a second. Why's he getting my power through the Statues? WHEN I'M LITERALLY RIGHT HERE,' She stomped her foot to the ground and huffed. 'Hasn't he ever thought of that? Well. It would be rude to touch a lady. Especially a god without permission so I will give him that.'

'I guess I should repay him by giving him a portion of my power... Which... probably means I have to hold his hand... for the best results...'

Furina stood in silence. Her mind blank. Isn't she getting a bit too bold?

'I mean..., holding hands with the person you love is... normal isn't it?'

Wait a second she's not in deni- Ahem.

But another thought crept into Furina's head. One that could rival her fear of being alone and losing her country in it's deadliest crisis.

'But... does he love me though?'

She... had no way to answer that. On one hand, it wouldn't be right for her to just declare that he's hers. That would just speedrun to the other answer. The answer that would leave a hole in her heart that could potentially take years to repair.

'It's just a professional handshake!' She thought. 'It's professional. Professional. Nothing... romantic about tha... I wonder how his hand would feel in mine...'

She slaps herself in the face. 

'Nothing between us aside from business and friend stuff would happen. Stop it. You're only going to hurt yourself, Furina... Besides, he's met plenty of women who- definitely can't compare to me in beauty and po- Oh right he's met the Raiden Shogun and he's her sparring partner. HOW CAN I COMPETE WITH THAT-'

She shakes her head. She disappears into a puddle and zooms towards her room. She makes sure to not make any noise and look for... 

Well. You know what women wear at beaches right? I'm sure I don't need to describe it for you, reader because I'm sure you're either imagining it in your head or looking at a photo right now. Don't worry. I am too.

Anyway, she picks up her dark blue swimsuit and summer hat. And makes a break for it back to the Archepelago.

Author's Note:

I'd recommend Judged for Heart if you guys want more of this pairing. It's in AO3 made by AcrosstheAzur and it's a pretty good read. One of my favorites so far. 

"I'm back!" Aether announces. He kept his disappointment hidden. None of the Statues gave his Hydro powers back... Which meant that his capacity to dive is limited. And his swimming stamina is back to what it used to be. 

It's just a minor set back. It's not like he needs to swim in Snezhnaya or Natlan. He hoped not. The only downside is that he is unable to use his hydro kit. Not anymore...

But... why can't he us-

"Yes, yes I... Ahem. I can see that," Furina's words cut his worries short. His eyes lead him to where she was. She was in the water. And-

He just saw Furina in her swimsuit.

He thinks nothing of it. 

He's seen Fischl, Mona and even Xinyan back then when he last went here so seeing an Archon in her swimwear was nothing to be alarmed about. He asks casually, "You've got your swimsuit already?"

"Yeah! I did. Apparently, it was back at the Teapot. I just forgot that I packed it with me," Furina lied as naturally as she breathed. The best case scenario would've been her scrambling back to the beach with her casual clothes on, but...

A part of her wanted to see how he'd react. 

And that part of her was sorely disappointed. 

"What is it?" She hid her disappointment through bravado. "Entranced by my divine beauty that it's rendered you speechless?"

"Spot on," He replies. 

"...T-thank you," She blushes. Darn. She wanted him to be the one being a bumbling blushing mess. Not her. She coughed twice. "But... pardon me for asking, where's yours?"

"I'm wearing it," He deadpanned with an eyebrow raised. 

"You're going to swim in a crop top, a scarf, baggy pants and boots? You must be mad! No, no. This won't do," She points to the direction of her beloved nation and states. "Go back to Fontaine and purchase a wetsuit for yourself. You don't want to bother Tubby with more laundry do you?"

"But I just got here...," He complains. 

"No buts! If you want to swim, get yourself a wetsuit! I'll pay you back once I've got the courage to come back to Fontaine."

"Fine," He rolls his eyes and begins to chant his teleportation mantra.

He disappeared. Once more. Furina's still got to get used to that. But she sinks herself under the water. Face red and thrashing her limbs everywhere. What utter humiliation. He always has a way to subvert her plans. But at least she gets to see him in a...

She slaps herself in the face.

'I JUST MADE EVERYTHING A LOT WORSE!' 

Paimon

The ultimate wingwoman for not interrupting these two in their beach date. 

Chioriya Boutique. The place where Kirara got her outfit. Not to mention, Lyney and Lynette's extravagant magician costumes. And now he's probably speculating that he could get a custom suit made for him...

But that would be way too expensive for something he'd rarely wear. Maybe a classic wetsuit in brown. That is if this place actually sells wetsui-

'Is that Freminet?' He asks as his eyes land on the nervous boy talking to his pet penguin. He approaches him with a waved hand, "Yo, Freminet!"

"A-Aether!" The boy lets out a surprised reply. He looks away from his gaze. He wasn't ready for social interaction. Especially in front of his brother's crush. He shouldn't mess up this conversation. Someone like him would eat him out. 

The worst case scenario would be Lyney abandoning him for screwing up his relationship with the Traveler. Not to mention, he's very integral for Father's plans for Fontaine. He absolutely has to be like Lyney. Or Lynette at the very least. 

Don't screw up this conversation. Don't screw up thi-

"I don't suppose this place sells wetsuits huh?" Aether asked. 

"T-They actually do. Just pray to all the A-Archons that the owner isn't there, she'd chew your ear off," Freminet curses himself for whispering that last part. 

"Nothing a sword can't fix then. See you, Ferminet," He waved goodbye. 

"You too," Freminet breathed a sigh of fresh air. Pers, noticing that his owner is in a state of euphoria, pat him on the head for good work. Even if it is the bare minimum to everyone else who can converse properly. 'I HAVEN'T FAILED MY FAMILY!'

"I'm here to get a wetsuit," Aether requested once he opened the door. 

"Over here," Eloffe, the staff member led him to the selection. 

Aether scanned each and every one of the wetsuits. Until his gaze landed upon the brown one with orange accents. It felt strangely nostalgic for some reason. Even better it's got golden stars evident in the design in such a subtle way. He could've sworn that it was glitter, but upon further touch... it wasn't. It felt smooth. Like the rest of the wetsuit.

There was only one issue though.

"Can't the top be a crop top?" He asked.

"Dear customer, please do not ask that. Madame Chiori is having a nap and she could wake up at any moment."

"I could just cut it once I purchase it."

"Yes, you could but... you'll definitely not be welcomed back here."

"Ah."

He takes out the exact sum of Mora from his inventory and hands it over. 

"Thank you for your purchase. We hope to see more of you here at Chioriya Boutique," She waved goodbye.

"Tell the owner that she's incredibly talented," He replied before walking on the air again. Making the waitress question if her eyes were working properly. 

Tubby

Busy making some furniture in the Pot as always. 

"I'm back again!" Aether said, with his brand new wetsuit. 

"About time. I was about to die of boredom. The sand will be searing hot by the time you're done. Hurry up and join me!" She demanded. Her eyes followed him as he went inside the enormous conch and changed t-

She looked away. She didn't see anything. She saw absolutely nothing. There was nothing that she saw. 

It's already enough that he reveals his stomach to the public as if there was nothing to be concerned about. But any more than that is...

She wonders what would be more torture. Being here with him or going back to Fontaine. 

She heard a splash nearby. She wiped away the seawater from her face. And adjusted her vision to look at him... Okay this was somehow worse than him being shirtless and having nothing but shorts on. 

'...Why did it have to be tight?' She thought. 

"Furina?" He poked her cheek to get her back from spacing out. 

"Uh, sorry. I was... uh... getting used to you dressing up normally."

"Wave," He pointed at the humongous wave behind her. Which definitely was made out of her subconscious. 

"I'm aware," With a simple hand wave, the wave was no more. 

"Wave," He repeated. 

"You don't need to remind m-" She looked back. There wasn't any behind them. Only for her to fall victim to him splashing more water at her face. She pouted. "Hey!"

"Hehe."

"So we're playing that game huh?" She crossed her arms and huffed. "I refuse to engage in such childish tomfoole-"

She spat out the water in her mouth. Summoning a patch of water, it let her stand far above him.  She summoned two water orbs, one on her left and the other on her right. 

He gave a cocky grin as he swam as fast as he could away from her.

"Okay that's it, get back here!" Furina shouted, shooting water bullets to splash him for her satisfaction.

Parametric Transformer

Weekly reminder to use the damn thing.

"Wanna make a sandcastle?" Furina asked, ensuring that the sand that they're stepping on is wet and cool. Instead of searing hot and dry. 

"With powers or not?" He asked. 

"With. Makes it easier," She replied, grabbing an orb of wet sand. 

"You better not cheat," He cracked his knuckles as he prepared to tap into Geo and Dendro. 

"I expect the same from you," She smiled. 

The two then spent 30 minutes building their own sandcastles. 

Aether was going for a stereotypical castle. The kind you'd find in fairy tales. But he was adding some ravens... as he was zoning out and... He just realized he was essentially building the Immernachtreich. He just shrugged and mentally thanked Fischl for the inspiration. He crafted tiny stone ravens made out of Geo. To help with the tapestries, he used Dendro vines. Eventually, his sandcastle was decorated with its residents and their cultural heritage. 

Furina meanwhile was busy building the Opera Epiclese. Her very own castle with her being its only Princess. But she is above that of course. After all, none are worthy to inherit the Hydro Archon's pure and dignified nam...

She falters for a bit, making one of the towers fall. 

Is she worthy? Gods can fall. Her predecessor made sure of that. Not to mention, that she's one of the few Archons who are no longer the original. Will there come a time when her time is up and she needs an heir?

No. 

Nonsense.

She's the Lady Furina. Her time is far from over. She just needs a little break from it all. Since nothing is more isolating than being put in a position in which no one can understand. 

She looked over at what Aether was doing. And her jaw dropped to the sand. Nervousness began to set in. Is she even going to win? Could she even win? She was unsure. He beat her once. But... If she's going to lose, she might as well put up a fight.

Aether looked over at hers. It was clear that she was faster at gathering wet sand to make her sandcastle stand tall. But her insistence for waterfalls could potentially disrupt the sandcastle's foundation and bring the whole thing to nothing but mush.

He silently puts a Geo Pillar underneath with some Dendro Roots to support her castle. While he focused on his own.

Eventually, they were done. 

"Alright. Moment of truth," Furina raised a wave that threatened the safety of both of the sandcastles. "Let's see whose kingdom would fall under the weight of my power."

"Go easy on both of them alright?" He watched as the wave crashed.

His castle was nothing but mush. The only thing that remained were the Geo citizens protected by the Crystallization of the seawater. He silently mourned them, but he looked over to Furina's castle. It was slightly muddied, but it was still standing tall.

He breathed a sigh of relief.

While in contrast, Furina had a smug smile on her face. Inside however, she was jumping for joy. "Looks like I win this time!"

"I surrender to the almighty power of the ocean," He joked.

Only to hear Furina's stomach grumble a bit. It ruined the moment. And she internal cursed herself for not having eaten yet.

"I'll whip up a meal for the both of us," He pulled out a fishing rod from his inventory and then went over to a fishing spot. 

"Make it quick... please," She mumbled that last part. 

"There are some berries over there if you're so desperate," He reeled in a fish and it disappeared into thin air. He put in another bait in his hook and let it loose in the ocean. "Food doesn't come easy you know?"

"...I know that," She replied. Walking over to the nearby berry bush. She took a bite out of one. Enjoying the sweet taste. But the thought of him cooking her a meal..., made her even hungrier. 

Maybe it would be nice if he became her personal chef... 

No.

She has to let him go.

She has her people. He has his sister. 

But would she really be happy if... she let him go?

That reminded her of something. She finished her third berry and walked on over to him. He finished reeling in the final fish for the dish. But before he could get a word out, he felt her right hand in his left. 

It was... weirdly delicate. And soft and smooth to touch. 

"Something the matter?" He asked.

Furina noticed that his hand was... scarred. A bunch of little cuts, some lightning scars and callouses. A lot of them. They couldn't be any more different. 

But that wasn't the point. She focused all her Hydro power on her right hand. Hoping to give him some ounce of her power. However, it remained in her right hand. Nothing was leaving. Not even a drop.

"You lost your Hydro powers right?" She asked. "I'm... trying to give it back."

"Oh," Aether turned on his Elemental Sight. He could see the dark blue of Hydro. But none of it was entering his hand. He held her hand. Tighter. Trying to absorb the Hydro back into his body. But there was nothing there.

"...Come on. Accept it!" Furina said, starting to be frustrated at the lack of progress.

"Hey, relax. It's not the end of the world," He made his fishing rod disappear and pat her on the shoulder. "We can try some other time. Can't we?"

"It'll be insulting. As an Archon. To be incapable of granting you... My esteemed friend... and dear rival... my own power. I know that my martial prowess is... quite lacking, but... if I can't repay you with this... then... what else can I do?"

"I have no idea... but... I suppose your happiness is more than enough of a reward for me. So... be happy. What's the point of a vacation when you're not even enjoying yourself?"

Furina held his hand tighter...

"Who says I'm not happy? As long as you're here..., I'll be the happiest Archon in the world."

Aether pats her on the head. 

'She's so cute,' He smiles. "I gotta cook now though. And I'm pretty sure I need both hands for that."

"Oh," Furina lets go of his hand. "Right. Hurry up then. Those berries weren't enough."

"I'll make it fit for an Archon," He heads on over to the cooking pot.

"You better!" Furina looks over to her hand... And wonders if there'll be more opportunities to hold his in the near future.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.2K 508 27
Furina is dealing with the aftermath of the trauma that unfolded in her five hundred years of living as an Archon. The prophecy and the flood have le...
1.4M 71.3K 58
❝in the midst of all the chaos, he found peace; with her. ❞ π†π„ππ’π‡πˆπ πˆπŒππ€π‚π“! π—πˆπ€πŽ 𝐱 π…π„πŒ!𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐑 βœƒ...
11.5K 257 10
Being your job as a Photographer makes you become special of creativity and imagination beneath the camera or even extraordinary ways to capture the...
2.6K 88 15
This story is about a girl named y/n who was traveling along side a guy whose name was aether. Their adventure continued in the nation fontaine. She...