A Couple of Trials (ZeLink)

By Kenlair

Book 2: The Couple Series **Slightly More Mature** After having defeated the Calamity and reliving the hars... More

Chapter 1: Another Morning, Another Nightmare
Chapter 2: The Inessential Princess
Chapter 3: An Uneasy Restlessness
Chapter 4: Late Night Insecurities
Chapter 5: Meeting with the Mayor
Chapter 6: Weighing Options
Chapter 7: A Task from Purah
Chapter 8: A Potential Job Offer
Chapter 9: A Little Chat with Prima
Chapter 10: Shopping Day
Chapter 11: First Day on the Job
Chapter 12: A Simple Test Ride
Chapter 13: Resting Unassured
Chapter 14: A Dirty Job Well Done
Chapter 15: A Twisted Confrontation
Chapter 16: The Balancing Act
Chapter 17: Late Night Practice
Chapter 18: The Weekly Drunken Splurge
Chapter 19: Wallowing in Humiliation
Chapter 20: The Second Serving
Chapter 21: An Irrational Concern
Chapter 22: The Great Snowball Fight
Chapter 23: Cracks in the Façade
Chapter 24: The Age of Burning Fields
Chapter 25: A Passionate Traveler
Chapter 26: The Alluring Maid
Chapter 27: The Sick Princess
Chapter 28: A Familiar Face
Chapter 29: The Altercation
Chapter 30: So Close
Chapter 31: A Stubborn Realization
Chapter 32: Celebration Preparation
Chapter 33: Misguided Jealousy
Chapter 34: Old Habits
Chapter 35: The Drunk Knight
Chapter 36: The Freezing Point
Chapter 37: Snowed In
Chapter 38: A Challenging Toast
Chapter 39: A Stinging Realization
Chapter 40: The Manifestation of Anxiety
Chapter 41: The Royal Beating
Chapter 42: Tainting the Snow with Red
Chapter 43: The Homestead Struggle
Chapter 44: Dire Moments
Chapter 45: Being Better
Chapter 46: The Thread of Life
Chapter 47: Betting on Hope
Chapter 48: Cotera's Blessing
Chapter 49: Making Amends
Chapter 50: Coming to Terms
Chapter 51: The Desire to Heal
Chapter 52: Finding Enjoyment
Chapter 53: Mending Connections
Chapter 54: Two Decisions, One Goal
Chapter 55: Personal Journeys Begin
Chapter 56: An Advisor's Heartening
Chapter 57: A Prince's Responsibilities
Chapter 58: A Start in Kakariko
Chapter 59: The Absence of Anxiety
Chapter 60: Welcome to Lurelin
Chapter 61: A Hot Springs Healing
Chapter 63: The Precious Ceremony
Chapter 64: A Wish of Luck
Chapter 65: The Trial of the Sword
Chapter 66: An Evening Serenade
Chapter 67: Dealing with the Financial Elite
Chapter 68: An Unrequited Adoration
Chapter 69: The Misty Castle
Chapter 70: The Teachings of Twilight
Chapter 71: The Rumor Mill
Chapter 72: Royal Formalities
Chapter 73: Truth of the Matter
Chapter 74: The Perch of Tabantha
Chapter 75: The Feathered Bard
Chapter 76: Ruins From a Time Before
Chapter 77: The Teachings of Time

Chapter 62: The Council's Judgment

1.6K 18 35
By Kenlair

It had been almost a week since Zelda and her company had arrived in Lurelin Village. It hadn't taken long for them to grow accustomed to the fishing culture. In fact, the quickest to adjust was surprisingly the timid Sheikah that the princess had brought along. Fishing, prepping, and other tasks that locals had been doing for years had become second nature to her after practically a day. It was shocking to see her adjust so quickly. Even speaking to the locals had become easier for her. Easier, but not comfortable.

As Paya learned how the village operated, along with Celessa occasionally, Zelda had tasked herself with scouting the area and planning, talking to the villagers, seeing what was allowed and what wasn't, and coming up with whatever she could with all that she had at that very moment. After only a few days though, it was clear that she had done all she could do to prepare. To Celessa's dismay, it was time to leave Lurelin for the time being, and so, early one morning, the three packed their stuff from the ship-shaped inn and prepared to depart.

"I can't believe we're leaving already," Celessa sighed sadly, something Paya silently giggled at.

"We've been here for days. Besides, you knew we weren't going to stay long," Zelda said, who was now looking down at the map on the illuminated screen of the Sheikah Slate. "It was intended to be a short trip. The real adventure starts now."

Regardless of the truths the princess spoke, Celessa still groaned, which received a small smile from Zelda.

"Don't worry, we'll be back before you know it," she said. "I'll get you a treat in Zora's Domain, how's that sound?"

"Stop it," Celessa said. "Don't use the Prima voice on me. We are her children. I am not your child."

"You sure sound like you are though," Zelda giggled. Before Celessa could retort, all three of the women noticed the short old man hobbling his way toward them.

"Ready to leave already, are we?" he asked. While Celessa said "no" in the background, Zelda nodded.

"We are," she said. "We'll be headed for Zora's Domain, as you've recommended. I believe learning about the Zora's personal Champion Festival will do me well. If I want to throw a festival of my own, it'll do me good to learn from those who throw them annually."

"I'm glad my insight was able to give you guidance," Rozel said with a kind chuckle. "We'll begin preparing the plans you've already made. Anything you want us to add, just stop by and we'll make adjustments."

"Thank you, Rozel," Zelda said with a slight bow. "I really appreciate you doing this for me. It'll bring a nice smile to Link's face."

"Oh, young one," Rozel said. "I have a feeling he'd smile regardless, as long as he's able to see you."

Immediately, Zelda blushed (along with Paya behind her) while Celessa giggled.

"T-thank you for the compliment," she replied.

"Alright then, you three better be off," the village head said. "We'll eagerly await your return."

With that, they all nodded before Paya and Celessa placed a hand on Zelda's shoulders. With a tap of the Sheikah Slate screen, the three vanished in a river of blue lights, leaving just the elder standing in front of the inn. He watched as the lights flew upwards into the air and out of sight.

"Hm... That's an interesting doohickey they have there..."

Reforming, the three appeared on another shrine platform. Expectedly, Paya gasped in surprise. No longer were they surrounded by open air, sandy beaches, nor the tall swaying palm trees. Now they stood in a large room, one elegantly carved from luminous stone, with a flooring that was covered in water and luminescent plants. Celessa's eyes sparkled in awe as she stared at the glowing pillars that decorated the room's walls.

"Are we here?" she asked. "Is this the domain?"

"Just a small part of it," Zelda answered. "Have you never been here? I'd be surprised if you haven't, seeing as the Zora would be able to give you an accurate account of our history."

"I thought that, but I also heard the Zora weren't too fond of Hylians," Celessa said, twisting her body to look around at the architectural glory. "Knowing that and how dangerous the path here was, I never bothered."

"Only the elders disliked us once before, but thanks to Link's influence, that's subsided. Maybe you'll be able to talk to some of those elders and get some history lessons," Zelda said with a smile. "Come on. Follow me and you'll see the rest of its beauty."

With a splash, Zelda stepped off the shrine's platform and into the shallow waters, heading for the beautiful waterfall staircase that led up and out of the room. Following suit, Celessa stepped into the waters, but Paya stayed right where she was.

"U–uh... Pr–Princess?" she called out. Halfway up the stairs, Zelda turned, along with Celessa. "U–um... I'm s–sorry, but... Do either of you have boots I c–could borrow?"

Confused, both looked down at Paya's feet before realizing the Sheikah's choice of travel footwear: open-toed boots and socks.

"Oh! Of course!" Zelda said, pulling the slate from her hip as Celessa held back a laugh. "I believe I have some Hylian boots you can wear if you believe they'll fit... Here they are..."

After a few taps on the illuminated screen, the boots appeared in a flash of blue. Walking back down, she kindly held out the boots to Paya. Embarrassed, the Sheikah took them and sat down on the pedestal. Once the Hylian boots had been planted on her feet, she gave her traditional sandals back to Zelda, who in another tap of blue lights, stored them away. With everyone now able to step into the water comfortably, the three made their way up the staircase, where the rest of the icicle-covered domain greeted them. Now standing in the domain's square, the three stood in awe.

"Incredible... It's so beautiful during the winter," Zelda said as Paya stood silently in surprise.

"Even with how cloudy it is out here, it still sparkles," Celessa said, sporadically looking left and right. "Amazing..."

"I–it is..." Paya finally spoke quietly. "And I believed Lurelin was different from my home... This looks like I've stepped into a new world."

"Princess Zelda!"

At the call of her name, Zelda looked down to see three Zora children running her way, something that made Paya gasp.

"A–are those Zora?" she whispered to Celessa, who chuckled and nodded. "T–they really look like fish..."

"Well, they are fish people," Celessa said as Zelda knelt to greet the children.

"Hello you three," she said happily as the three Zora stopped in front of her. "It's good to see you again. I know it's been quite some time."

"I thought we'd see you soon! I thought so!" the red-scaled Zora child, Laruta, said excitedly before turning to the blue-scaled Zora children behind her. "I told you two we would!"

"You did. You did," both Tumbo and Keye said tiredly in unison.

"You guessed that I'd suddenly appear"?" Zelda asked curiously, to which Laruta nodded vigorously, causing the fishtail behind her heat to swing around.

"I did! And I saw you first!" Laruta said. "If there's one person who can take my eyes off Prince Sidon, it's the princess of Hyrule!"

"Off Sidon?" Zelda repeated. "Were you just looking at him? Is he around—?"

"Well, if my eyes don't deceive me, I do believe I see a Hylian!" a buoyant voice called out.

Everyone looked up (with Paya gasping before covering her mouth), to see the large Moblin-sized prince of the Zora walking toward them with his arms outstretched in greeting. Zelda's smile grew wider.

"Sidon! It's wonderful to see you," Zelda said, doing her best not to laugh when she heard Paya mumble something about Sidon's massive size from behind her.

"And you, my dear princess!" the Zora prince said, taking her hand and shaking it heavily, causing Zelda to lose her footing for a moment. "To think, I got to see Link and then you right after! This has certainly been quite a lovely past few days!"

"Link was here?" Zelda asked quickly, taken aback by the sudden mention of her lover's name.

"He was here!" Laruta said cheerfully. "That's how I knew you'd come soon!"

"He helped us in the domain too," Keye spoke up.

"He had been staying at the inn," Tumbo added.

"When?" Zelda asked quickly, looking up at Sidon with almost pleading eyes. "When was he here?"

"He was here for the past few days," Sidon said as his smile faltered. "You actually just missed him. He left early this morning."

"I just missed him?" Zelda said, unable to contain her disappointment. As if her body moved on its own, she hurried past the Zora, leaving Paya and Celessa behind.

"Princess, wait! Where are you going?" Celessa called out, but Zelda continued running off.

She passed the statue of the Zora Champion and hurried through the square before heading down the short staircase until finally, she stopped at the start of the Great Zora Bridge. Surprised, the guard standing at the front of the gate jolted in surprise at the Hylian's sudden appearance next to him.

"Who— ? Princess Zelda?" he said in shock, but Zelda hadn't heard him.

She looked out onto the bridge, hoping to catch a glimpse of her beloved knight. Unfortunately, no one was there. The bridge was empty, with nothing but the sound of roaring waterfalls that echoed down from off the surrounding mountains. She continued to stare out as Sidon, Celessa, and Paya found their way down the steps, walking up before stopping behind her.

"Princess?" Celessa asked. "Are you alright?"

After a few moments, Zelda's ears twitched as if she were only just now processing that people were behind her.

"Y–yes. Yes, I am," Zelda said, turning to face the group that had come after her. "I apologize for running off like that. I got... hopeful, that I'd be able to see him sooner than expected."

"I'm sure if you left now, you could possibly catch up to him," Sidon said. "You know about his wounds. While certainly better, they do slow him down. There's a possibility you may be able to catch him if you so wished."

"H–his wounds?" Paya repeated quietly, but all the attention was on Zelda.

Thinking about Sidon's suggestion, she furrowed her brow and looked down at her boots. After a pause, she closed her eyes and gave a defeated sigh.

"No," she said disappointedly. "We have some business to attend to here. Link is on his journey, and I am on mine. That's what we agreed to. As much as it pains me, I'll have to control myself. I know I'll see him at a later date; that's what all of this is for."

"Are you sure?" Celessa asked. "He's right down the road, Princess."

"He is," Zelda said. "He has his own goals, and as much as I'm sure he'd like to see us, we'd slow him down."

"When you put it that way, I'd have to agree," Sidon said almost guiltily. "He said his next destination was Death Mountain. He wished to relieve his pain in the hot springs before continuing on his journey. With those injuries, I believe it'd be best to let him go on without distraction. If he knew you were here, there's a good chance he'll end up staying."

"Right... It's best to let him go for now," Zelda agreed. "I apologize again for causing a scene."

"Nonsense," Sidon said, allowing his sharp, shining teeth to show again. "Your love burns strong in your heart for your knight! It's wonderful to see he has someone who cares so deeply about him. Please, come back into the domain. You said you have some business, yes? Does it have to do with us Zora?"

"In fact, it does," Zelda said as they began walking back up the stairs and into the domain. "I have a few things to discuss with you in particular."

"Does one of them include the trials Link mentioned?" Sidon asked as they walked by each other's side.

"He mentioned them to you?" Zelda asked. Sidon nodded.

"He mentioned a lot of things," the prince said. "He gave me a pretty detailed rundown of what's occurred these past few months, from the last trials he's experienced to now."

"Really? Then you must— oh..." Zelda said guiltily, catching Sidon's knowing stare. After a pause, she asked, "how is he? I–is he still working through all of what happened?"

"He is," Sidon said, "and please, don't diminish yourself. He had a part to play in it all just as much as you, but no one more than the assassin that came after you all."

"Assassin?" Paya said in a hushed whisper behind them.

"As for how he's doing, I'd say he's doing quite well now, even with his injuries," Sidon said as they walked through the square. With a confident breath, he stopped in front of the statue that sat in the square's center and looked up into his sister's luminous stone eyes. "He came to me, and we discussed my sister. He really does look as though he's moving on from it all, and in a healthy manner as well."

"Is he?" Zelda asked, stopping to look up at the statue as well. With a relieved sigh, she placed a hand on her chest. "That's good... Thank the golden goddesses he's doing better."

Growing silent, she continued to stare into the statue's eyes, remembering her own last moment with the Zora Princess. The two stood alone near the Divine Beast Vah Ruta, while Link stood a little ways away, enduring what was certainly a painful trial. As he stood silently, the two princesses spoke, with the princess of the Zora in her transparent form, standing on the water as she stared earnestly into Zelda's teary eyes.

Mipha took a few steps closer, stopping just near the pond's edge before they could meet the stone ground that Zelda stood on. She looked up into her watery green eyes as her face became stern.

"I need you to promise me something," Mipha said earnestly. "Link... he holds in many of his emotions. He continuously fights for those he cares about and believes he must bear any burden by himself. Since that is... If you love him as strongly as you say you do, then you must promise me that you will help him smile again. He has many smiles... one of mischief, one of guilt, and one of fun; all almost just about lost when he pulled that sword from its resting place. There's a reason the monks are guiding him through these trials and it has to do with more than just letting our souls rest easy. He will not stop; he will destroy himself if he doesn't rest. You are the only one that can possibly understand his pain. Please, promise me that you will help him rest and help him be himself again."

"I... I don't know..." Zelda said quietly. "I've only been in the way this entire journey. I don't feel like I'm of proper use. I want him to rest, I do... But I just don't know if I can get him to. He'll want to head to whatever it is that's next, despite our wishes. You know how he is..."

"Let me ask you something, Princess," Mipha said, suddenly. "If one doesn't rest... and they continuously fight no matter how hard their challenge must be...if they don't take the time to heal... What do you believe would happen?"

Zelda could only respond with a pained expression. A vivid image of a burning field with a bleeding knight in her arms flashed in her mind. A time with no rest; a time where he refused to take a moment to heal. Her expression was enough of an answer for Mipha as she nodded slowly.

"I'm counting on you," she said as she began to turn away from Zelda. She began to walk away, causing more ripples in the water with each step. "Please... make him happy, Princess. And be happy yourself, for if you're not happy, then neither is he."

"I will..." Zelda said as tears now fully began to stream down her face while she watched Mipha walk away. The Zora princess began to fade as she walked, however, she wasn't headed toward Vah Ruta. She seemed to be walking towards Zora's Domain. "I really am sorry..."

"That... is all I need."

In a small flash, Mipha vanished.

Months later, Zelda stood in front of her again, except now, instead of facing those ghostly transparent eyes, she now looked into her stone-carved ones. With a guilty frown, she spoke quietly.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't able to keep my promise to you."

Barely hearing this, Sidon looked down at the Hylian Princess.

"My sister... She made you promise to make him rest, didn't she?" he asked suddenly. Surprised, Zelda looked up at him.

"You knew?" she asked. At this, Celessa gently took Paya by the arm, noticing the shift in the atmosphere around them.

"Hey, let's go take a look around the place," she whispered to Paya.

"H–huh? B–but..." Paya began. This took Celessa back a bit; even in the short time she had spent with the Sheikah, she knew it was unusual for her to want to stay in what looked to be a tough conversation. Regardless, Celessa insisted. "Come on. We'll find the princess later."

Still looking a bit concerned, Paya looked between the two royals before she eventually nodded in agreement. Allowing Celessa to pull her away, the two disappeared to explore the rest of the domain, leaving Sidon and Zelda alone.

"How did you know your sister asked me to make Link rest?" Zelda asked.

"There are only a few things I can guess Mipha would make you promise, all of which have to do with Link," Sidon said with a smile."She always wanted to be by Link's side to heal his wounds, but, since she's not here, she's left the responsibility to you, hasn't she?"

"You could say that," Zelda answered after a brief pause, "But, regardless of her request, I would've pushed for him to rest. I tried to do things differently from my father, but ended up making the same forceful mistakes."

"Even if that's the case, my sister still put a burden on you," Sidon said. "That is something I must apologize for."

"What? Why would you say that? Neither you nor Mipha has a thing to apologize for," Zelda replied. "I made the mistake of trying to force Link to rest. Even if I made that promise to Mipha, it was the way I went about it that set in motion everything that happened the last few months."

"Regardless, that promise has been on your mind, hasn't it?" Sidon asked. "You can't fool me after apologizing to her figure just now."

"I... hm," Zelda said, unable to deny his words.

"My sister and Link were best friends," Sidon continued, "and as you know, she loved him dearly. They were close, even if the romance was one-sided... and yet, even I can tell from back then that Mipha had a hard time understanding him."

"It can be challenging for anyone to understand Link, honestly," Zelda said, lightly blowing air through her nose in disappointment.

"He certainly can be, but if there is anyone who can, or ever get close, it's you, Princess," Sidon said. "My sister would have tried to get him to rest just as hard as you, if not even harder... and clearly that was the wrong call. My sister was not perfect, and I can recognize her faults; that was one of them, so again: I apologize in my sister's place for putting such a burden on you."

"I still don't feel as if I deserve it, but... thank you, Sidon," Zelda said. "I do appreciate you."

"And I you," Sidon said with a smile. "Now tell me, for what business have you come to our domain? If you're referring to it as business, then it must be important, especially if it has to do with Link's trial."

"Yes, but more so what the implications of the trial are," Zelda said as the two began to walk aimlessly through the domain. Taking a deep breath, she furrowed her brow and looked up at her royal friend. "Sidon... I wish to start the reconstruction of the kingdom of Hyrule."

"Reconstruction you say?" Sidon asked, coming to a stop. After not even a second, his smile grew wider than Zelda had ever seen. "Why, that's wonderful, princess! That's certainly some exciting news!"

"I was hoping you would agree," Zelda chuckled. "But even if you do, I'm sure you see the glaring wall that stands before me."

"You wish for the Zora to rejoin Hyrule, don't you?" Sidon asked.

"I do... If possible, I'd like to gather all the races that live in our lands under one banner again," Zelda said. "But, the last time reconstruction was brought up here in the domain—"

"The council wasn't very enthusiastic about your leadership skills," Sidon remembered out loud, losing his smile. "Yes, I remember that day vividly. I do know the council's opinion of you has changed, thanks to your bravery against the Lynel, and most certainly after Mipha's parting. Even Muzu has grown quite fond of you in recent months... but unfortunately, fondness doesn't equate to trust in a leadership role."

"It doesn't," Zelda said. "Still, I'd like to find a way to convince them, if at all possible."

"It may be possible, but you'd have to have a strong argument as to why they should follow your lead," Sidon said. Suddenly, his eyes lit up. "You plan to leverage Link's trials to your advantage, don't you?"

"I... I do," Zelda said guiltily. "I'd rather not rely on the knowledge that something might be wrong, but my personal feelings must take a back seat. If a threat is on the horizon, no matter how far, then preparation is a must."

"Hm... I see. Honestly, I respect that. That on its own shows you have the heart and will of a leader," Sidon said thoughtfully. "You know I'd accept your request in a heartbeat, even without that fear, Princess, but I'm not sure that'll be enough to convince them, especially with the events of the Calamity still fresh in the council's minds. Unless you have a way to convince them, I'm not sure we have enough to provide incentive to join."

"I believe I have something that may hopefully turn the tides in our favor," Zelda said. "If you'll hear me out..."

Sidon beamed.

"I most certainly will!"

*       *      *      *      *

At the top of the domain, the king of the Zora sat on his throne, listening to the ongoing words of the Zora ambassador, Muzu. King Dorephan was a large Zora, much larger than his son, Prince Sidon. While Sidon took the shape of a shark, the king was that of a whale. Even as he sat on his gigantic throne, his torso alone towered over anyone who came before him. Despite his size, his face was kind, and his words cheerful.

"Ha ha!" the king laughed. "So our food supply is rapidly growing, yes?"

"Rapidly is a strong word," Muzu snorted. "We gathered what the Hinox had stolen from the river, and that alone has boosted our supplies—"

"A job well done by my son and the Hylian Champion, wouldn't you say?" the king said with a hearty laugh. "You can always count on Link, especially when my son is at his side."

"Hmph. You say that, but it was still foolish and reckless of Link to go," Muzu grumbled. "If he had died, and had Sidon been injured, not only would our food be low, but our morale would've lowered also."

"My old friend, you must learn when to lighten up," the king said, something that made the stingray grumble even more.

"You're too light-handed when it comes to those two, King Dorephan," he said.

"And I'd argue you're too heavy-handed, Muzu," Dorephan rebutted. "They've proven themselves when they went against Vah Ruta, and other times as well. They aren't children anymore, Muzu. They will be the ones guiding the future sooner than you may think."

"Hm," Muzu replied simply. "Back to the topic at hand, while we did get a nice haul of fish from Ralis Pond, that doesn't mean the fish in the rivers have repopulated to a sustainable level. We'll be short on food for some time still."

"I see... Meaning we still have some work to do," Dorephan said with a deep, rumbling hum.

Before any ideas could come to mind, the sound of quick footsteps began to echo through the hall. Both Muzu and King Dorephan looked toward the staircase to the prince of the Zora hurrying up the stairs that led to the throne room's entrance.

"Father! Muzu! I have something urgent I must discuss with you!" Sidon loudly announced as he strode into the throne room.

"Sidon, m'boy? It's rare for you to demand a conversation in such a manner," his father said, leaning forward on his throne as the prince stopped before him, now standing next to Muzu. "Is everything alright? Link left earlier today, yes? Did something happen?"

"Link should be well. He left earlier this morning, just as you've said," Sidon said. "But it seems as though the tides of fate have started to rise. We have another Hylian visitor: Princess Zelda."

"The princess is here?" Dorephan exclaimed. "That is a surprise to hear, especially right after Link just left."

"With how you've brought this to our attention, I assume she has a request for us, does she?" Muzu asked, to which Sidon nodded.

"She does... in fact, this could change things for the domain if things come to pass. I'd like to request a council meeting," he said.

"A council meeting?" Muzu asked. "To have a sudden meeting— What is this request that requires us to meet in such a manner?"

"It's imperative that we meet now," Sidon said, "because Princess Zelda wishes to start the reconstruction of Hyrule."

"She wants to start rebuilding?" Muzu asked in surprise. "Meaning she also wishes to take the throne back, is that right? That girl said she had no intention of doing such a thing so soon—if at all— the last time we met regarding this topic."

"Muzu—" Sidon began, but the stingray quickly cut him off.

"If you're going to tell me my biases are clouding my judgment, I can assure you they're not," he said sternly. "You know my opinion of that girl, and it isn't bad. As a council member, I cannot ignore her qualifications, just like before, and I find it hard to believe she's become qualified in just a few month's time."

"As much as it hurts me, I can't help but agree, Young Sidon," Dorephan said, leaning back on his throne. "You know I care about Princess Zelda as if she were my own daughter, similar to how I view Link as a son, but the spirit to lead an entire kingdom—let alone rebuild it— is a massive undertaking. She said that during her time in the castle, she mainly focused on her training. Anything regarding how to properly lead a kingdom was left out. I'm not sure I can put my faith into her when it comes to such a massive undertaking, at least not this soon..."

"I understand your concern, Father– both of your concerns," Sidon said, glancing over to the elderly stingray. "But I do believe you should hear her out. I have reason to believe now may be the time to at least consider the possibility. I ask of you to please call forth the council to discuss these matters."

"Young Sidon—" Muzu began, but the king spoke before he could finish.

"I'll allow it," he said to the stingray's surprise.

"Your Majesty, are you sure?" he asked. "Do you truly wish to entertain such a slim possibility?"

"As slim as they may be, it wouldn't hurt to allow the girl a chance to prove her worth," King Dorephan said. "Even if we don't accept her status immediately, there is always time to prepare for the day she is worthy of our loyalty. If today ends up being the day we start preparing, then so be it. Besides, I'm sure my son here wouldn't come before us so eagerly if he didn't have faith in her. Is that correct, Sidon?"

"It is, Father," Sidon answered. "I'm ready to stand by her side, even if it's only the beginning steps."

"Then so be it," Dorephan nodded. "Muzu, please call the council here to discuss."

"If that is what you wish, then it shall be," Muzu said with a slight bow before glancing over at Sidon. "I do hope the Young Princess truly does have something worth proposing."

"I believe you'll be surprised, Muzu," Sidon said with a grin. "She's surprised you many times during her last visits already, hasn't she?"

"Hmpf," Muzu said, placing his hands behind his back as he turned toward the large staircase. "Let's see if she can do it again, shall we?"

Sidon gave another twinkling toothy grin.

Zelda sat at the bottom of the throne room's staircase, fidgeting with the dark cloak that was wrapped around her shoulders. She hadn't known exactly how long she had been sitting there for. Her mind was far too focused on the plan she had been repeating constantly, making sure she had everything in order. It had to be convincing, especially to those who knew of the glory Hyrule used to boast over a century ago. As she continued to think in circles, the prince of the Zora walked down the steps before stopping on the step Zelda was sitting on.

"They're ready for you, Princess," Sidon called down to her. "Are you sure you are ready?"

"No," Zelda said honestly. "But... I'll have to do my best. For Hyrule's future, and Link."

"That's the spirit," Sidon said with a shining smile.

He held a large hand down to her, which Zelda graciously took. Helping her to her feet, the two nodded and began heading up the staircase. Zelda's brow furrowed as they grew closer to the top. She knew what awaited her: the gazes of each elderly Zora that were meant to judge her. Even if they were another race, besides the few in her personal circle, the Zora was the last community that was there before the Calamity. They were still her people, the exact people she failed over a century ago, and the last time they confronted her with the idea of taking her title, she stood quiet, allowing Sidon to defend her.

This time it would be different.

With a final step, she and Sidon walked into the throne room. Instantly she could feel every eye of the Zora on her as they came to a stop in front of Dorephan's throne. On each side stood a line of elderly Zora, all of whom she recognized not only as those that made up the council, but as those who lived in her kingdom before. While before she had lowered her head in shame, she now attempted to stand tall, ready to properly face her past.

"Welcome back to our domain, Princess Zelda," Dorephan said in his booming voice. She looked up at the large whale to see a kind smile on his face. "I believe I can speak for all of us when I say it's good to see you again."

Those at his sides nodded in agreement. Placing her hands in front of her, Zelda slightly bowed.

"It's good to be back," she said. "Thank you for welcoming me warmly. I can assume you all know why I've requested this meeting to take place?"

"We do," one of the Zora spoke up. She looked over to see a dark-scaled Zora, elderly like all the rest, with a long, pointy nose that covered part of his mouth. This was who she remembered to be Seggin. "You wish to discuss the future of this kingdom, as in its reconstruction, do you not?"

"I do," Zelda said calmly. "I wish to start rebuilding, and to have the Zora's support in this newly established Kingdom of Hyrule if possible."

"While it is you that has started this, I believe you remember we had a similar discussion months before, yes?" Muzu spoke up, who stood directly at King Dorephan's side. Zelda's brow furrowed slightly.

"I do," she said. "It... wasn't my best moment. I'm not foolish enough to try and make that meeting look better than what it was, but I do know your opinion of me has changed since then."

"You're right. It has," Muzu said. "But, regardless of my new-found appreciation for you, as head of this council, I must put my personal biases aside and act in accordance with what I believe is best for our community here in Zora's Domain. We have some concerns, and I hope you don't hold my arguments against me."

"I... I won't," Zelda said nervously, but with a quick deep breath, she quickly regained her composure. "Let us begin."

"Then let's start with the most prominent of our concerns," an old blue-scaled Zora spoke. This was the historian Zelda knew as Jaihto. "Your qualifications to take the role as proper princess, and soon to be queen, of this new kingdom. What about your skill set should make us believe such a task should be handled by you?"

"And if you succeed in rebuilding it, what makes you think you can shoulder the weight of a kingdom, especially the beginnings of one?" another elderly blue-scaled Zora spoke up. This was Dento, the craftsman. "It was challenging enough for a well-known, trained noble–such as your father– to inherit the throne for a well-established kingdom. To take on the reconstruction of one, building out its frame and supports, and then having to maintain and grow that foundation is no easy task. It would be more of a burden than a challenge, all things considered. Only one with a strong will can handle such a heavy burden."

"Finally, what is in it for us Zora?" Muzu spoke again. "While we do remember the glory days of our kingdom, we've been able to handle ourselves well. If you were to rebuild Hyrule and invite us, we'd most certainly be burdened in helping with the construction and establishment. Why would we go through all of the trouble when we've been sufficient on our own for over a hundred years?"

The Zora grew quiet, deciding to pause there and allow Zelda to answer. All of these were valid points. Rebuilding a kingdom would clearly be a lot for one person to bear, that was something she already knew.

"I believe we might be getting ahead of ourselves," Sidon began, coming to Zelda's aid. "Why don't we start our discussion with something smaller and work our way up toward—"

"No," Zelda suddenly spoke up, causing the Zora prince to stop and glance down at her.

If she allowed Sidon to protect her again, that would show the opposite of what they were asking. Without much thought, she stepped forward, accepting the center of attention she had.

"All of your concerns... They're completely justifiable," she continued. "I'd be a fool to try and simply brush those arguments of yours away. Yes, rebuilding the kingdom would be one of, if not the greatest undertaking I've ever experienced. Even considering my battle with the Calamity, my mind and power practically acted on its own. That power is not something I can rely on when it comes to leading you all, and everyone else I plan to re-found these lands with. I only have myself this time, and in your eyes, I understand that I am but one girl, who may look in over my head with such a request."

"I'm glad you understand the significance of our hesitance," Jaihto said, "but, I'm sure you didn't acknowledge them simply to repeat them back. I assume you have an argument that will put our worries at ease?"

"Honestly, nothing I say on this day will be enough to ease your concerns entirely," Zelda said. Looking at Muzu, she continued. "The first of all your questions was what qualifications I have that make me worthy to lead you all, just as my family had done in the past. The most obvious answer would be my blood, that of not only royalty, but of that with the goddess Hylia's lineage as well. But..."

With a confident look in her eyes, she brought a hand to her chest, refusing to look away from Muzu's stern gaze.

"I don't wish to stronghold the Zora with my bloodline, nor my connection to the goddess we pray to. If I want to take back my title as Princess of Hyrule, then I'd rather use my own power to make you trust in my abilities."

"And what abilities are you referring to?" Dento questioned. "You said it yourself a few months back. During your time as a princess a century ago, you weren't properly taught in the ways of leadership. Your childhood was full of praying and trying to unlock that sacred power of yours. While we are grateful, those lessons—those teaching of how to lead, to grow a community, to protect— were set aside. Those teachings are important to running such a vast kingdom."

"While I did learn a few things from my time in the castle, you're right," Zelda agreed. "I didn't learn half of what I was supposed to. But I do have something that I can offer, something that will allow me to learn those lessons, and put them to use. The ability I bring to you is my ability to learn."

"Your ability to learn?" King Dorephan finally spoke, intrigued by Zelda's answer. "Can you explain?"

"I've always found myself to be a scholarly type of girl," Zelda explained. "In fact, even back then, my father would scold me over my research. While I understand his reasonings for being against my studying back then, I believe now it's my strongest quality. I can learn, I can study, I can find the knowledge needed to lead a kingdom, to lead multiple tribes and towns under one banner."

"An interesting answer," Jaihto claimed. "But where do you plan to find this knowledge?"

"While this might sound like a childish answer, the library in the castle still stands," Zelda answered. "It's full of books, most of which still look readable, from books that would have been used in my early days had the Calamity not been a threat, to history books as well. I'm sure you, being the historian that you are, can understand how one can learn from the past. Wouldn't you agree, Jaihto?"

"You're right about that," Jaihto said. "That's something I simply can't deny."

"But are you sure simply reading about it would be enough?" Muzu chimed in. "While a start, it's as you said. It's a very childish answer to say you'll simply read about it."

"You're right, which is why I have another answer to go along with that," Zelda said. "And the answer is all of you."

"All of us?" Seggin asked curiously. Zelda nodded.

"It actually answers the next concern you had for me, as well," she said. "You wondered if I would be able to shoulder the weight of the kingdom when restored, that keeping it maintained and keeping its citizens happy would be challenging for one person alone. It would be challenging for one person. Therefore, my answer would be not to do it alone."

As if welcoming them, Zelda raised her hands at all of the Zora standing in front of her.

"You all have been here long before even I was born," she said. "You lived during our time as a proper kingdom, watched it fall, and managed to keep Zora's Domain the beautiful and prosperous place that it is. I said it before, simply reading about it is a childish answer, and honestly, it's not much comfort to say that I've read a book on something and instantly know how to properly do it. But... if I had a few teachers who could help me, to teach me how to be a proper leader, then I believe those teachings, along with the lessons the books of old can tell me, then I have no doubt I can become the Princess you expect to see leading Hyrule."

"And you expect the Zora to teach you all you must learn?" Muzu asked.

"I'm asking if you would," Zelda corrected. "You all have such passion for the people you lead, especially you, Sidon."

The princess looked back at the Zora Prince who was still standing behind her. His eyes slightly widened. It was clear he wasn't expecting to be named. In fact, it looked as though everyone in the room had expected her to say that to King Dorephan. Despite this, Zelda stuck to her words.

"The Zora you will one day lead, they already look up to you so much," Zelda said. "They love and adore you, and it isn't empty compassion they have either. They see how hard you fight for this domain, the way you protect it, and the way you try to put smiles on their faces when times are tough. I admire you, and wish to be like you."

"Princess..." Sidon said.

"And the ones that helped him become the Zora that he is today were all of you," Zelda said, turning back to the king and his council. "I want to become a leader like Sidon, and like all of you. But do not expect me to put this all on the Zora. Each region has a leader that guides their own. A young leader in the Gerudo desert, a wise one in the Tabantha region, a boss living on Death Mountain, and those in Necluda. I have many people I can learn from, all of whom I want to join this kingdom. Yes, I'd be the sole one responsible for this rebuilt Hyrule... but to say I'd be leading it alone would simply be incorrect."

"I see..." King Dorephan hummed. "I believe... that is an answer none of us expected. I can tell that, even in such a short time these past few months, you've really matured, my dear Princess."

"While her answers so far may be good," Muzu spoke up again, "she hasn't answered the last of our three concerns. What's in it for us Zora?"

"Protection," Zelda said simply. When her answer was met with looks of confusion, she took a deep breath before continuing. "I... I have reason to believe another danger will be upon us."

The room rumbles with murmuring.

"And what made you not start with that?" Muzu asked. "We've noticed that monsters are still in Hyrule, but for you to say there might be another apocalypse coming—"

"Because I'm not entirely sure if that's what it is," Zelda said. "I didn't start this meeting with that because I don't wish to scare you into a kingdom. I don't wish to rebuild using fear, whether there is a danger out there or not. But, yes... I believe the Calamity's influence is still out there, whether it's his, or something different. But... honestly, that is the only thing I can offer you right now, is that if there is another danger that threatens us, we can work together and defend each other."

"That didn't work last time," Muzu said deeply. "What makes you believe it'll work now if something else does happen?"

"Simply that," Zelda said. "I have nothing more to answer with than hope. I said it before: I wish not to establish this kingdom off of fear. I wish to establish it with hope— hope that we can pull through whatever it is that challenges us together."

"And if a danger comes that we can't handle? What then?" Muzu asked.

"This may be silly of me, and maybe even selfish..." Zelda said. "But if something like that comes to pass... then I have unwavering faith in Link, my hero."

"That's a bold claim to make, essentially when he's not here to assure us himself," Dento said. "But, it can also be said that it was foolish to come here without him, even without a potential danger that may arrive in the future. Reason would have told you that having Link here, the person who has bonded with us Zora, and saved us time and time again alongside our prince, would have been able to sway our hearts in your favor. Why did you come alone?"

"Because... Link is trying his hardest right now," Zelda said. "He's off taking a trial, one given to him by the Master Sword itself. He's making sure he has the power to protect us all, and I won't leave that to him alone. I must be able to do things on my own, even if that means convincing you here without him. And if I'm being transparent with you, I don't expect you to make a decision today."

"A very wise decision, my dear," King Dorephan asked. "So what is it you wish to accomplish?"

"To simply start the process," Zelda said. "I understand I still have things to prove. What I am requesting is a chance to show you that I'm serious about this. In a few week's time, I wish to hold a festival, one that brings the regions together to celebrate those they lost during the Calamity. It is there I wish to celebrate the past, thank the Champions, and show you the kind of kingdom I wish to build. I don't believe a chance to show you what I'm envisioning is too much to ask, wouldn't you agree?"

"Under different circumstances... I would," Muzu said. "But, you've come at a bad time. While intriguing, we are not part of a kingdom, meaning we have our own ordeals to sort out at the moment—"

"Fish, right?" Zelda cut in. "I've heard that you all are low on food because of a Hinox that cleared the rivers of fish. What if I told you that the festival was in Lurelin Village? If you are to attend, not only is there fish for you to buy, but you could fish in the open waters. I know Zora aren't fond of salt water... but if it replenishes your food source, then I'd say it would be worth it."

"Hm. I wonder who it was who told you about the Hinox," Muzu said out loud, though his gaze was squarely on Sidon, who nodded in pride.

"If you haven't already guessed, I've already made my own decision," Sidon spoke up, stepping forward to stand by Zelda again. "I wish to support Princess Zelda. While you may think she has a bit more to prove, I believe she's already proven her worth by how much she's already grown. I believe it's worth following her and Link in their quest to restore our fine kingdom. I already told you before, Muzu: we need to work together, alongside our friends. Zelda is offering us a chance to replenish our food source, and a chance to meet and bond with the rest of Hyrule, a Hyrule that has grown and changed in the last hundred years since we secluded ourselves. I say our place is beside her."

"Young Sidon..." King Dorephan hummed proudly. "I may be biased... but if my son, who will one day lead this domain, claims this is the direction he'd like to go in, then I agree. I won't force this decision upon you all though, and am open to discussion. What I am sure of though, is I believe we should indulge in the Princess's wishes, and join this festival of hers. What say the rest of you? All in favor of joining this festival in Lurelin?"

After a bit of murmuring amongst the elderly Zora, everyone raised their hand in agreement, all except one. Muzu, the highest-ranking councilman, stared Zelda down before stepping down from his place next to the king. He took a few steps forward on the water-covered floor before stopping a few feet away from Zelda, still looking her squarely in the eyes.

"It's clear to me that you've grown," Muzu said. "Your eyes alone tell me that, but what I wish to know is how you came to these conclusions. These answers, this resolve... How did you change so quickly in only a season's time?"

"You want to make sure these ideas were instilled, not just something I thought would sound favorable?" Zelda said, to which the stingray nodded.

She lowered her head and brought a finger to her chin, trying to find the words to best explain the answer to his question. After a few moments of humming in thought, she raised her head and smiled.

"This past winter, I went to live in Hateno Village with Link. It's a small settlement of Hylians. It's a small place, but it's warm. The people support and look after each other. While I was there, I went to work at an inn. At first, I tried to learn everything myself, frustrated when I didn't learn on the first attempt, and when things got hard, I almost quit. But it was the people I met when living there that helped me grow. I learned to ask for help, to bond, to see what we could do when we all worked as a group... as a family. I learned it was better to be together than trying to do everything alone."

Zelda slowly moved her hand, placing it on her stomach before she closed her eyes. For a split second, the inn and those she had grown accustomed to seeing in it flashed in her mind, with Link in a chair, and her in his lap, surrounded by the Prima, Jules, Celessa, and the rest of Hateno.

"Together, we can survive even the most dangerous situations," she said. "Even if there are mistakes, misunderstandings, and bumps along the way... Together, as a community, we were able to push through. I'd like to believe that logic applies to a kingdom as well."

Feeling warm inside her chest, she opened her eyes and looked down at Muzu once more.

"I love my people," Zelda said. "I don't just mean the Hylians. While I've tried to distance myself from the crown these past few months, I can never escape this feeling. You all, even if not now, were my people– my citizens. I owe to you and everyone else in this kingdom, a better life. A better way of living, one where a Hinox wouldn't be an issue for you all. I can't simply walk away from my duty, even if I'm technically not ready yet. I will work hard to be the leader you all deserve. I swear that to you, Muzu."

"I see," Muzu said, and after a few moments, the stingray raised his hand. "Then I too believe that we should indulge in your plans. Do not get me wrong, I have not yet agreed to join this new kingdom... but, I will give you the chance to convince us."

"Thank you, Muzu!" Sidon said, pumping his fist, while Zelda's eyes illuminated.

"Thank you," Zelda said gratefully, lowering her head with a bow.

While she was bowing in appreciation, she simply didn't want the Zora to see the tears that had started to form in her eyes. She had done it, the thing she couldn't do before. She confronted those who remembered her failures, and brought them on board with her plans, even if just the start of them.

"You said this festival of yours was in a few week's time, yes?" she heard Dorephan's deep voice boom. Quickly wiping her eyes, Zelda looked up and nodded.

"Yes," she said. "I've only just started preparations for it. I just left Lurelin with a few friends of mine just earlier today. In fact, I've come here not only wishing to invite you, but to ask for help regarding it."

"Help you say?" Dorephan asked. Zelda nodded.

"I've been made aware that there's a similar type of festival the Zora hold here in the domain, simply named the Champion's festival, I believe," Zelda said. "It would be great to learn how this festival is thrown. Maybe I can apply it to the festival I want to throw in Lurelin. I'd like to learn about it, if that's alright."

"Well, I certainly believe that is a fine idea," Dorephan answered. "In recent years, the festival has been held and organized by Trello, ever since his retirement, but Muzu was the one who handled it in the past, and for much longer a time. He would be your best reference to learn, if he's willing."

"Hmpf. That festival is dedicated to Lady Mipha," he said sternly. "If you wish to learn the ins and outs of my precious festival, then you best do well to pay attention."

"Y-yes! Of course!" Zelda said, taken aback by Muzu's sudden agreement.

"Then we'll meet tomorrow," he said before placing his hands behind his back to face the Zora king. "I believe this meeting is adjourned, yes?"

"Seeing as we've come to an agreement as of now, I believe so," Dorephan said. All of you are dismissed."

Stepping away from their places, the elderly Zora all made their way to the staircase, ready to head back to their daily duties around the domain. As they passed each of them greeted Zelda properly, shaking her hand or bowing their heads toward her.

"Smart girl, you are," Jaihto said as he passed. "Using my love of history to pull me to your side. Very clever, Princess."

"Thank you, Jaihto," Zelda giggled, nodding her head in thanks.

"For my vote, you do owe me something though," he said, something that threw Zelda off guard. "Whatever books you find in the palace library, I'd like to read them too, if you agree to those terms?"

"Absolutely," Zelda agreed with a smile.

With a nod, the historian disappeared down the stairs, leaving only Dorephan and Sidon in the room with her.

"You did it, Princess!" Sidon said excitedly. "Even if it's just a start, the council is on your side! If you work hard, we'll be part of your new kingdom!"

"Young Sidon here is right," King Dorephan said from above. "You did well, Princess Zelda. While we agreed only to indulge and meet with you to see how things fare, I find it hard to believe we won't be following your lead in the future. It's honestly quite surprising, given how you were before. Ah, not to be rude."

"No, I understand," Zelda said kindly. "If I were the same person I was, I wouldn't want me to lead a new kingdom either. Even if you both believe the Zora will join this new kingdom, I'll still work hard to show you how prosperous we can become together."

"Hm. Then I expect great things from you, Princess," Dorephan said. "Why don't you get set up at the inn for the day and rest? I do believe you'll have a long day with Muzu tomorrow, and you'd best prepare yourself. He's quite the teacher to learn under."

"Alright. Thank you again, King Dorephan," Zelda said with a bow.

Signaling for Sidon to walk her out, both the royals turned and left the room. Halfway down the staircase, Zelda fell back, allowing her bottom to land on one of the steps. She let out a sigh, letting all the tension that had been in her muscles disappear.

"I can't believe it... They agreed," she said, lowering her head and lifting her hands to hide her face in her palms. "They truly agreed. That was so stressful..."

"You did well, Princess!" Sidon said, kneeling on the steps as best he could. "You showed great strength in there! That left an impression on them. Link would be proud."

"You think so?" Zelda asked, raising her head. Sidon nodded with a calming smile.

"Absolutely," Sidon said. "Come, let us go find your friends. I'm sure they'll need a bed in the inn as well, won't they?"

"They will," Zelda said. After a few more seconds to make sure her legs would hold her weight, she pushed herself up. "Thank you, Sidon. For everything today."

"I'll always be here to support you and Link," the prince said with a smile. "No matter what happens."

"Hey, what's going on with you?" Celessa suddenly asked. Paya, who had been dragged around the domain, snapped out of her thoughts.

"Hu–huh?" she managed to stutter out. "W–what do you mean?"

"I mean, you've been out of it all day," she said as they walked down one of the spiraling luminous stone ramps. "Ever since this morning when we arrived. What's got you more quiet than you already are?"

"N–nothing's wrong, I promise," Paya tried to say. "Pl–please, don't worry about it..."

"Paya, I've been hanging around the princess almost every day this entire winter," Celessa said. "Trust me, I know when somethings wrong, now tell me. Maybe I can help? Hylia knows I've been able to help Zelda through some tough things."

Paya gave her a nervous look before slowly coming to a stop on the ramp. Confused, Celessa came to a stop as well and looked at her, allowing her a few moments of silence to collect her words.

"Wh–when we arrived, the prince said that... M–Master Link ha– had horrible injuries," Paya said in a quiet voice, looking down at her feet. "You and the princess... Y–you came to my village a few weeks ago needing fairies from the great fairy, didn't you? Was it for him? A–and if so... w–why are his w–wounds still so bad? W–what happened to him?"

"O–oh... I mean, the fairies weren't technically for him, but... Wait a minute," Celessa said. Taking a step forward, she took Paya by the cheeks and forced her head up, something that Paya gasped at.

"Wha–wha–what?" she staggered out. "W–what's w–wrong?"

"You're blushing... You're blushing a lot... Oh boy," Celessa said, slowly pulling her hands away. "You're in love with Link, aren't you?"

"E–eh? Hu–huh? Wh–wh–wha... N–no–no... I–I—" Paya tried to deny, but Celessa shook her head the moment the red on the Sheikah's cheeks got more vibrant.

"You most certainly are," Celessa said. "Does Zelda know?"

After a pause (and realizing there was no fooling Celessa), Paya shook her head. In response, Celessa put her hands on top of her head and hummed.

"Jeez... I really don't know how to explain this to you in a good way then—" she began, only to be stopped by the call of both their names.

"Celessa? Paya?"

Both looked down the ramp to see Zelda hurrying toward them.

"Princess? Where have you been?" Celessa asked as Zelda came to a stop in front of them.

"I just came from a meeting with the Zora Council," Zelda said excitedly, "and we have their support! I convinced them to come to the festival and discuss reconstruction! And Councilor Muzu is going to show me how they perform their own Champion's Festival!"

"Princess, that's great!" Celessa cheered.

Excitedly, Zelda went in for a hug, something that would have made Celessa much happier if she wasn't glancing over at Paya from over Zelda's shoulder. Paya, who did seem happy about Zelda's success, still looked uneasy. Celessa awkwardly blew air through her nose. Things suddenly got a little more complicated, and she could only hope they wouldn't get any more so.

*      *      *      *      *

The early morning sun began to shine over the Minshi Woods, where a lone stable sat almost hidden by the trees. It was only because of the road it sat next to did it receive travelers on a regular basis. As the sun grew higher and the stable workers began their early morning duties, one little girl, who was dressed in similar clothing to the stable workers, ran out of the tent-like building with a bright smile on her face.

"The sky!" she shouted. "The sky, the sky!"

"Shamae! Keep it down," the stablemaster said from behind the counter. "It's early. You'll wake up our guests."

"But, Dad, the sky!" the girl named Shamae exclaimed. "I had a dream about the sky again! I really think people used to live in the sky, don't you think?"

"You've had that dream a thousand times," the stablemaster chuckled. "I think you just find the sky pretty."

"It's more than that!" Shamae said, but her father simply laughed again.

"Right, right," he said with a kind smile. "Well, I'm sure if people did live in the sky, they were still quiet this early in the morning. Be like them and shush until our guests wake up, alright? Now go play some while the rest of us finish our morning tasks."

"Heuuuugh," the girl pouted as she walked away. "Dad doesn't believe me..."

"Who doesn't believe you?" a voice suddenly asked. The girl looked up to see a traveler, who had just walked out of the stables tent.

"My dad," the girl said. "I had a dream, one where there was land in the sky! I think people used to live there long ago!"

"Really? In the sky?" the traveler asked. The girl nodded excitedly.

"Yeah! Very high up there!" she said. "Dad is right about one thing: I do love the sky very much. One day, I wish to see balloons float in the sky! It'll make me feel like I went to the sky with them if I watched them!"

"Balloons, huh?" the traveler asked. He placed his hands on his hips and looked around before pointing at a few barrels that sat against the stable's tarp-covered walls. "You see those barrels over there? Will you help me bring them over here?"

"The barrels? Sure... but, why?" Shamae asked. The traveler smiled.

"You'll see. Come on," he said with a small wave.

Listening, the little girl followed and helped push the barrels out into the road. Once they were in place she curiously looked back at the traveler.

"What now?" she asked. At this, the traveler reached into his pouch (one that looked more stuffed than it should've been) and pulled something out.

"Here," he said, handing one of the items he had taken out to the girl. "Take this."

Listening again, she looked down at her palms to see a small round object in her hand. It was a purplish ball-shaped thing, one with little spikes that covered the top.

"Huh? What's this? It's all... slimy," the girl said. "It's a little gross..."

"You say that now, but watch and do what I do," the traveler said. With his purple item in hand, he simply placed it in the barrel and held it there. He looked down at the girl and waited for her to do the same. When she followed suit he continued, "All right... Let it go on my mark. Three... two... one... let go!"

Both of them let go. To Shamae's surprise, the balls expanded into what looked like balloons. They began to float, and to an even bigger surprise, the barrels had stuck to the balloons, pulling them into the air. With a cheer, the little girl and traveler watched as the barrels floated into the sky, through the morning sun rays, and passed the trees into the orange and blue sky above.

"Balloons are flying into the sky! With barrels!" the girl said happily. She watched until the balloons couldn't be seen anymore before turning back to the traveler. "Thank you! Thank you so much! Um... Wait, I wanna give you something..."

She began rummaging around the small jacket she wore for a moment before pulling something out. It shone brightly against her hand as she held it out to the traveler.

"It fell from the sky," she said excitedly. "It was my favorite thing, but then you made a dream of mine come true! So now... I want you to have it!"

"Really? Are you sure about this?" the traveler asked. "It's your favorite find, isn't it?"

"Mhm! You made my dream come true, mister," the girl said. "And now I have a new dream! I want to go to the sky on balloons one day, and see the islands for myself!"

The traveler smiled.

"I think that's a pretty cool dream," he said. Reaching down, he gently took what he recognized as a star fragment away. "I'll treasure this. Really."

"Hey... You're a traveler," Shamae said. "So you've seen a lot of things. Have you seen an island in the sky?"

"I can't say I have," the traveler said. "But hey... Maybe one day I'll explore the clouds, and if I do, I'll tell you if I see any islands. How about that?"

"Ah! Thank you!" the girl said happily. The traveler nodded with a smile.

"Alright, I have to go now," he said. "You take care, and enjoy your dreams about the sky okay?"

"Okay!" the girl cheered. The traveler turned and began walking away, but quickly the girl grew worried. "Hey! Mister!"

Hearing the girls call, the traveler looked back at her.

"You're going the wrong way!" she called out. "That road leads to the Lost Woods! No one ever comes out of there!"

She thought the traveler would look afraid and turn around, but all he did was smile and continue up the path, disappearing deep into the Minshi Woods. He made his way through the trees and around the path's twists and turns, knowing full well what woods he was heading for.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.1K 1.7K 26
Zelda doesn't believe in soulmates; Zelda barely even believes in herself. That is, until Link turns up with a sword strapped to his back, heralding...
19.6K 163 4
On a late evening in the land of Hyrule, one woman finds herself stuck in the middle of a sudden, raging storm. After traveling through the mud, even...
565K 10.2K 120
Book 1: The Couple Series The Calamity Ganon no longer plagues the land of Hyrule, at least, not that the hero, Link, or the princess, Zelda, is awar...
460K 15K 43
"You will aid the hero during his journey in defeating Calamity Ganon." That was the order that was given to you by goddess Hylia. Although the godde...