The Shadow of Stars

By khalesi_7

Sprawled out on the ground covered head to toe in bright blue paint wasn't exactly how I envisioned the first... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen [part one]
Thirteen [part two]
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Four
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Eight
Thirty Six

Twenty Three

1.4K 67 112
By khalesi_7

new chapter wha whaaa, don't forget to click the lil star to show your love + comment!!!

there will be a lil a/n at the end of the chapter!

dedicated to taydenali & Hanbannana for the coffee support, so so so kind and this 6500 word chapter is literally thanks to your motivation. 

happy reading

The entirety of our Saturday was spent camped out on the beach with piles of books and board games to keep us throughly entertained. Henry had pulled the boat out into the bay and so we switched between relaxing on the deck and shore. It was almost the end of the day now, and I sat alone on my beach towel, flicking through a book on the hierarchal structures of the pack and the philosophies underpinning their spirituality that Gabe had recommended, the terms complex and overwhelming.

But I needed this. I needed to absorb this type of information more than ever before. And it was interesting.

Gabe and Henry had left an hour ago to take the boat off and around to a small set of islands. It would be well past dark before they got back and if it wasn't for my promise to return home tonight, I would have joined them.

"Athena!"

Micah jogs over from the other side of the bay and it is a struggle not to look at the glisten of water over his washboard stomach as he does. Every contour of his muscles appear as if they've been carved from stone, gleaming and curved gracefully underneath warm velvety skin.

I hadn't seen him shirtless before, I mean I imagined that he would be built but... It had seemed insane that he picked me up so effortlessly last night, I figured my days of being carried around were long gone but one glance at his arms tells me all I need to know.

My body paled in comparison, any muscle I had was hidden far away underneath soft skin, and my legs were clad in Henry's oversized board shorts, making me look like a pre-pubescent teen boy. I did have fairly modest bikinis on though, only just peeking out under the towel draped over my shoulders.

What was he even doing here? From the smile that become more visible the closer he got, I wasn't paralysed in fear but I still stood still where maybe I should've run. Henry and Gabe are on the boat, they just left, they aren't coming back anytime soon.

But to immediately go back on my pledge to try avoid Micah just days after they begged me sends a queasy feeling to my bones. Turning away now isn't an option, that choice was removed the minute he saw me.

He comes closer and my knees feel like they might just give out as I stare widely, mouth agape at his bare body and the small tug egging at the corner of his lip. "Athena," he says, waving his hand in front of my face as he reveals his canines in a grin. "Earth to Athena, breaking through the martian brain wave."

His robotic tone, impressively close to the starship captain from the latest Space film breaks me from my silence and I try not to grin. Did he seriously just use a robot tone? As if realising his own actions, his grin turns almost sheepish, something very rare for a wolf. "What are you doing here?" I blurt. Great way to seem inconspicuous.

He chuckles, shaking his head. "Hello to you too," he teases, flashing me that incredibly infectious smile.

"Sorry," I mummer, letting the beginnings of a beam lighten my own features. "Hey."

"It's alright, I was honestly going to ask you the same thing. I didn't hear from you and Henry said you were fine so I assumed you'd been grounded. I planned to text you later or maybe swing by but I didn't know how that'd go down with parents," he says, cringing slightly and his words make my heart clench just a little.

Not at the anxiety of if he had gone home to my completely unsuspecting parents apologising but because his words were so sweet it was as though he'd crystallised them in toffee. Each syllable strung together to form compassion and whilst his mind was working to think of me, mine was too—a selfish reality.

"Oh," I say, my eyes widening. "Yeah, it's probably a good idea you don't mention it to them, like ever. It's a very sensitive topic," I manage and he nods.

"Of course."

"But why are you here, I thought the trip was until Sunday?" My question elicits a sharp wince from him and he stretches his broad arms to ease the tension my word wind up.

"Well my parents were pretty close to grounding me too. Things sort of got out of hand after you left, I regret not leaving with you. Molly had made the party a public event on social media and asked a very famous DJ friend of hers come, advertising as such. Sooo yeah, not great."

I stare at him in shock and he laughs nervously. "Oh my god, no way," I say and he nods.

"Unfortunately yes way, wolfsbane liquor is Molly's weakness. But we've all been given our punishments so this is me escaping the awkwardness of my mothers glares. She is insistent that you will not want to be around me if I am a delinquent," he says, still smiling and I laugh at that.

If she knew of my involvement on Friday she'd have an entirely different opinion. And if Gabe punching him in the face was any indication as to my choice of friends... my eyes drift to the spot that edges the hard curve of his jaw automatically. There isn't a bruise—of course there wouldn't be, but the bridge of my nose creases all the same.

"I'm sorry about Friday," I admit, biting the inside of my lip to quell my anxiety. "I really drank way too much and then everything that happened—I shouldn't have done any of it."

His eyes widen with shock before he shakes his head. "You don't need to apologise to me." His words tumble from his mouth. "You had fun and drank more than maybe you should have, but it's fine—honestly. Next time I will just make sure there's human strength stuff around, you don't have to apologise to me for partying."

He says it like it's the most obvious thing in the world and I nod. "I know, just everything else that went down, you getting punched. My friends shouldn't have made things physical, it was really a big misunderstanding."

The small crease that flattens out between his brows speaks a thousand words. He doesn't verbalise it, but I know he didn't expect me to bring the incident up, and that he likely doesn't think its a misunderstanding. Gabe straight up told him how he felt about our bond, and he certainly wasn't fawning and offering kind words of congratulations.

"Oh, yeah," he says, rubbing the back of his neck as his lips form a firm line. "That was a lot. Definitely not how I thought the night would go, that's for sure." My breath catches in my throat as I wait for more of a response, and seeing my anxiety makes him drop his arm and return his grin. "I'm honestly slightly embarrassed that I didn't see the blow coming, my dad would not be impressed if he knew I allowed myself to be hit square in the jaw. Are they here with you?"

His question doesn't make my anxiety lessen but I should've known the question was coming. "They've gone back to the shop," I tell him and he nods.

I know there is more he wants to say about it, words he won't let himself speak—not now anyway. "Did you want to come hang out with us? Molly is still grounded but Ben and James are in the middle of a pretty epic sandcastle competition, you could help me judge," he offers.

"Sure," I decide and he beams so brightly I think if he were a light bulb he'd explode.

"Cool," his response is surrounded by a loose breath I didn't realise he was holding. He forces himself to relax his posture and I can tell he tries to lessen his smile. "Honestly you shouldn't expect great things, I think my youngest brother has made better castles. But they are both very adamant that a winner is decided."

"Is there much at stake?" I ask and he laughs, shrugging.

"Maybe for James, if he wins he gets to have a guys trip further down the coast free from Molly. Not that he doesn't like her, but when Molly and Ben are together there is little time for anyone else," he laughs.

My brows crease. "Does James really not want a mate?"

"He says he doesn't, but I know its because he is trying to seem cool. I have seen the app on his phone for young wolves to meet their soulmate. Ben and I think she may be human, or overseas. Because he is a pretty social guy and despite what you might think, he is quite spiritual."

I didn't even consider he spiritual side of things. All of that seems so surreal to me, my home is void of any religion. "Is his aunt human?" I ask, thinking about Olive, his cousin.

He shakes his head. "No, his uncle actually. Great guy, honestly if you ever wonder where Olive gets her smarts from then go speak to him for five seconds. He has a doctorate in like multiple fields and is currently doing work on some big research thing for the packs."

"Big research thing?" I question and I note the way he stills slightly before shrugging, waving a hand in front of his body.

"Oh it's just some science nerd project, I honestly don't know much of the details myself," he says, flashing me a soft grin.

"Well what do you know?" I quiz, putting as much innocent interest behind my words as I can muster. Because he looks regretful, like he wished he never brought it up and I wonder if it is lined to the conversation I heard his parents having.

About Alphas being overtaken.

"It's something to do with the genetic makeup of wolves and the difference between samples of subject before and after our holy event. Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine." A spark of disbelief ignites within me at that, there is more that he isn't telling me. But he gave me some cherry picked truth to the story, I guess I can be pleased with something.

"That sounds kinda cool. Maybe I can write an article on it, interview him," I muse, watching an almost unreadable emotion shift over his face before he smiles.

"Am I sensing another favour coming up?" He muses, mischief swirling in his captivating eyes. It's so easy to forget just how mesmerising they are, I find myself forgetting that I'm staring, getting lost in the depths of him.

"Maybe I'll just come to one of these pack events your mom wants to throw for me and find these interview subjects myself."

He laughs. "Please, be my guest. If you attend even just one of my moms events it will save me an hour long lecture each morning. I haven't been able to eat a pancake in peace for too long," he says and a laugh bubbles up, spilling over my grin. It's tough to imagine him getting scolded at a kitchen table each morning.

"I'm genuinely shocked you are on a pancake diet," I tell him, trying not to stare too long at his muscles to prove my point.

"Best way to start the morning," he tells me. "And I make em myself, chocolate chip pancakes with browned butter. And these like cinnamon scroll inspired ones—they are so good. You have to try them sometime, I don't make them everyday that was maybe an exaggeration," he admits sheepishly. "But quite often, they are a family favourite."

I don't know when I'd be at his house for breakfast. But they do sound pretty delicious. "I'm not going to say no to some free pancakes. But I'm a pretty horrible cook, so I don't have any specialty that I can offer in return."

He gives me a knowing smile. "I think I'll enjoy whatever you decide to cook for me," he says, like it's an obvious thing. "But my mom drilled culinary skills into me from a very young age, she'd make me go and work in the pack kitchens if I didn't eat my peas. So I have us covered on that front."

The causal image of us living in a situation where there was an actual us flashes through my mind. It's hard, but not impossible, to imagine him and I eating breakfast that he's cooked, living domestically and happily ever after. It is something that my body gravitates towards, it almost makes my blood warm and my mind feel at ease.

But the reality juxtaposes it, everything that Gabe told me last night exists. And so many other human mates who have had far worse scenarios and are still living it. Not all wolves are soft and gentle and want their human mate to be happy above all else, I don't know why Micah is so different.

There have been stories of all kinds of humans that were forced into more than a friendship. And the fact that many them could still be trapped slices terror down my spine.

"Don't you thin—" My words are lodged in my throat as I misstep over the ruins of someone else's castle and my face plummets towards the sand.

Micah's arms wrap around my torso just in time and he jerks my body back up, sending my vision whirling as my towel flies onto the ground. The soft tingle of soothing sparks dancing over my sandy skin pulls me back to reality as I glance up through my lashes to Micah's concerned face.

My entire chest is pushed up against his and the towel that had mostly covered my slightly small bikini top was now long gone. I glanced down to check that everything was where it should be but the movement of my eyes prompted his to shift too and when I tore my gaze back to his, his eyes had darkened around the edges.

I swore his skin warmed under my touch. He peeled his eyes back to me, concern overtaking the lust that swirled there. "Are you okay?" His question is veiled under a slight smile and I gulp thickly before nodding, pulling out of his hold quickly to brush down my exposed skin.

"I'm alright!" I say, heat rushing to my cheeks as he bends down to get my towel for me, shaking it out vigorously.

"Are you sure?" He asks, handing it to me and I wrap myself up tightly. "You don't need me to kiss it better?"

His question is so serious that it makes me frown. "Can... can that heal me?"

He laughs sharply, the golden sound filling the air. "No, I'm teasing. But I will kiss any part of you that needs fixing, it could help." His grin makes my blush nearly burn.

I gulp, starting to walk again for both of us. "Oh, thanks? I guess?"

"You know, you seemed to think I was pretty kissable last night," he says and I cringe. I wish I could say I don't remember that but I do. I remember staring at those plush soft lips and wanting to devour them. "They say drunk words are sober thoughts."

"I also seemed to think you had cooties," I tell him, making him smile at the memory. It's hard not to glance at his lips as he does. It wouldn't be crazy for any person to want to kiss him, he is incredibly handsome. "Which I still do."

He clutches his heart, a look of feigned pain overcoming his features. "You wound me," he says and it makes me laugh. "I promise you, I have not got cooties. And I'm happy to prove my point."

"Well, I'm not going to be a test subject to it, you'll have to get the scientists to prove it." I respond, holding my hands out in surrender.

He laughs. "Not to sound incredibly weird, but its actually definitely not bad for you. My kisses couldn't heal like a major wound but when in wolf form, we do use our saliva to disinfect. And it goes across to our mates, similar to our blood. It's obviously rare, I mean aside from training, I don't really get hurt in wolf form. And wolves tend to heal their wolf mates in that way, when we are transitioned we just use regular antibacterial stuff. But the blood can help for humans, wolves don't need to share with their unless one is in serious need of extra blood."

"So you are like my own personal blood bag?" I tease and he laughs, shrugging before nodding.

"I guess I am, but I will hopefully never have to give you my blood."

"Could you use mine?" I ask and he deliberates it.

"I don't think so," he says. "It wouldn't help to heal, maybe if I lost enough of my own, but I'm not sure."

The conversation shifts to a discussion on the newest version of dragons that came out in the last fire and fury update.

We soon/. make it to a small clearing that is tucked away from the bustle of the main beach and find a spot higher up on the shore. I sit down beside him, tucking my hands underneath my thighs as James and Ben work meticulously on perfecting each grain of sand on entirely average looking castles. "About your friend..."

I snap my attention to Micah and each bone in my body feels like it has been twisted in a vice. The soft panes of his face harden as my unease sprouts to fruition. "It won't happen again," I blurt, fear already settling into my words like cement.

"I hope not," Micah mummers as his chest drops with a heavy sigh. He casts the bronze of his iris towards the sea and his right hand sifts through the warm grains of sand at his side. "There isn't a totally easy way to say this and I don't know a lot about him yet, but I consider myself a good judge of character." And he straight up socked him in the face. "And I do know that he isn't from this pack, and that he is violent and for whatever reason he may have, opposed to me. Opposed to us more specifically."

"It's not what you think," I manage and when his eyes focus on me again, dread knots at my stomach. Every inch of my body feels under scrutiny. "He isn't violent, he just didn't know and jumped to the wrong conclusion. He was just looking out for me and he shouldn't have punched you but it was a mistake. He knows that."

His stare only hardens. "He said he knew I was a guy who couldn't take a hint," he says it like he's not sure I remember. But I do, I remember each breath I took in that room as much as I wish I didn't. He closes his eyes and breathes deeply again. "I'm just trying to wrap my head around it, did you not tell him that you had a mate? I mean just how long have you even known the guy?"

His questions were starting to feel an awful lot like an interrogation, one I wasn't ready to attend. "I didn't tell him." The admission is barely a whisper from my lips but he catches it, and it scars his handsome features with hurt for just a fraction of time. "We are more colleagues and there was never really a time to bring it up and then too much time passed that I hadn't and I don't know, it just felt weird after that."

He takes a moment to fully process my words before looking back out towards the ocean. "I don't..." his chest rises and falls again as he purses his lips. "I don't think it's best that you hang around him."

I freeze, staring at the sharp definition of his clenched jaw. "What?" The question is like being winded, whooshing up out of my stomach like he'd punched it.

He turns to me, the softness creeping back into his stony features. "I don't trust him, and his actions on Friday... I don't like the idea of someone recklessly violent being around my mate. I haven't found out enough about him yet but from what I already know—"

"You are going to investigate my friend?" My tone turns, laying another brick on the mounting wall already between us.

Of course he would, why else would he have pressured me for a name?

The soft hue of his iris turns steely. "You've only known him for a few weeks." His rebuttal is clipped and his eyes gleam with the beginnings of fire. He doesn't need to say its as long as I have known him, that fact rests on the air between us like a daunting demon. "I wouldn't care if his actions on Friday reflected those of a normal, civil person."

But he would. Gabe's decision, his words... they just gave him a reason. "He is Al's nephew," I counter, narrowing my eyes. I'm grateful we are relatively alone, save for his two friends sat a fair distance away. "I trust him. That should be enough. You can't just go and set the pack on anyone who decides to get close to me."

At the hardness of his jaw and the raging burn of the fire behind his eyes, I know I said the wrong thing. "Not like that," I snap, but it only makes his anger minimise, not vanish. "I told him I was having trouble okay?" I admit, half yelling the truth.

I tear my eyes to the sandy shore as a hint of that familiar anguish cuts through his face like a knife. "What?"

"I didn't tell him you were my mate. But I was having a shit day and he asked what was wrong and so I said there was a guy at school I was having issues with. I was venting to a friend who didn't have some ulterior motive about the whole thing, that's it. He was just mad because of what I told him, you don't need to go and impose into his life."

I don't have to glance next to me to know what I'd see. I can almost feel the soft hum of his electric skin as he sits still, processing my words. What they mean.

That I fully bitched about him to a complete stranger and described him to be in the category of crazy obsessed boy with a crush. All of which was mildly true.

"You're missing the point. I don't know how much of that night you remember bu—"

"I remember." My words are firm and my eyes are narrowed to match. He breathes out through his nose, the deep sigh resting heavy in the air.

"He is violent," Micah reiterates. "And I won't allow someone like him to be around my mate. Not when he made clear that he held no regard for this bond, something which affects your life whether you will admit it or not. I'm sorry, Athena, but this was in our terms, you told me not to involve the pack and I will respect your wishes on that, but he would be found lawfully dangerous for striking me."

"That's bullshit." My quick remark makes enough anger spark on his face that I stand up. "You are being ridiculous."

I don't sound as sure as I would like but I can't help the inch of fear that trickles into my stomach at the sight of his rage, albeit contained. The sight of Benny and James looking towards us catches my attention but I turn from them quickly, and they don't make a move to come closer.

"No, I'm not. This doesn't have to be an argument, Athena. You signed the contract, you created it with me for the very purpose of preventing this sort of thing. I need you to understand this from my side for once."

I shake my head, letting out a crazed laugh. "You've got to be kidding me," I mummer, glaring at his steely expression.

"I'm dead serious." A shiver runs down my side at the tone he takes, at the sheer authority lining it. If it were a command I wonder how much my will would bend, break, against them.

"Well I don't fucking care! This is stupid, he is a colleague, Micah. There is no way I am budging on this." Another loose laugh leaves my body, fuelled by my buzzing nerves. "Should I expect you to do this every time I get a male colleague you slightly dislike? Are you going to run background checks on every person at a company I might work for?"

"If they hit me in the fucking face, sure." The curse word catches me off guard. I didn't expect it at all.

"He didn't know who you were," I spell out. "He was just trying to protect me, if anything, I figured that would make you like him," I sneer, bending down to pick up my bag.

He lifts his arms from where the rest over his knees then, standing to me. "You really expect me to believe he wouldn't have been hostile if he knew? Honestly, something tells me that would make him want to hit me more." There it was, the insinuation that he was prejudice.

"I don't expect a lot from you to be totally frank." His eyes gutter then, before burning alive once more. "You aren't even applying any nuance to this situation, no matter what I tell you, you are going to find some excuse. You are just jealous."

The stillness to his stare makes me want to just run. Too far, I was going too far. Pointing out his stupid wolf instincts maybe wasn't a great idea. "I said nothing about being jealous." Each syllable was laced in pure venom. "Should I be?"

The question came out as more of an accusation. "Of course not!" Despite the dealthy calm to his voice, my own raises dramatically in pitch.

"You said it," he counters and I hate that I gave him bait. We both know that deep down, that is where his motived lied. "What is there for me to be jealous of? A mere friendship? With someone that you just met?"

"Considering how our attempt at friendship is currently working out, yes, I would guess you are jealous of that."

"Bullshit." He steps closer. "When he found out we were mates he didn't look shocked, he looked upset. Like he'd lost something and let me tell you right fucking now, he hasn't lost because there was never a possibility for him to have you, there never will be."

It was like I was looking at a different person, the embodiment of everything Henry warned me about from day dot. What Gabe was insistent would reveal itself in his confession last night. The possessive, wolf side that countered his sweet words and promises.

"You have no idea what you are talking about." A glossy sheen of tears cloud my vision before I blink them away, sending droplets of my frustration rolling over my cheeks. "I talk to a guy I befriend, at work, and you accuse me of what? What are you implying Micah? Why don't you just say it? Do you think we are involved in some scandalous love affair? That we will—"

A low growl leaves him, the sound of a terrifying beast. The sound of a threat. "Don't." Goosebumps pimple my skin. "Don't you dare disrespect me like that."

I narrow my eyes. "He is my friend, someone who chooses to hang around me purely because he wants to. Because he values me beyond being some possession. He doesn't just see me as a fuckable object to breed and put on a leash like some sort of pet."

"That is not what I see you as!" He yells, his features twisted into disgust at the mere idea. "That is not what I am implying, Athena. I am protecting my bond, protecting you. That is what this is about, I care about you."

"If that were even half true you wouldn't have said half the shit you just did. I just want you to leave me the hell alone. You are being an asshole and overbearing and everything that I described to Gabe to make him want to hit you in the first place. You're just proving him right." I shake my head. "You know what? I'm done with this conversation. I don't have to sit here and listen to this shit, if you want a girl to just bend to your every desire then go fuck some wolf, I'm sure there are many who would want you."

The venom of my words sting, the spread of each hurtful jab landing over his nearly unreadable face. I turn, walking in the sand before I can listen to his response but I don't make it more than five steps before his hand grabs my wrist tightly, pulling me to him. Slight pain flares from where his strong fingers grip my skin, tight enough that I can't pull away.

"Don't walk away from me." Another command flies from his mouth like it's his god given right to manhandle me how he wants. But in his eyes, I can see that's exactly what he thinks. My disrespect towards him has it's limitations.

"Let go of me." His hand drops from mine like it burns.

"I'm wasn't trying to start an argument," he reasons and I roll my eyes.

"Well what did you think was going to happen? Is the idea of me not mindlessly doing everything you want purely because its in your nature so unfathomable? Is it really that crazy of me to have an opinion of my own?"

"I figured maybe you would see things from my perspective for once. I thought that you would be pretty fine with not being around a dangerous person because that is what we agreed upon."

"But he isn't dangerous. He is my friend." It's like he is incapable of listening. "I need you to just trust me on this. Can you put an inch of faith in my judgement as the one of us who actually knows him? Because I'm not ready to give up the only fun that I am having in my life right now just so I can be miserable with you."

I never should have come to sit down with him. I should've made up some dumb excuse the minute he waved at me from across the beach. Maybe avoiding him is the solution, maybe friendship with him won't ever work because clearly he associates the word with something more.

"You are asking me to ignore the truth of what I've seen."

I clench my hands into tight fists. "I'm asking you to stop this. Stop letting whatever instincts you have cloud your thoughts. Stop reading into a platonic friendship I have and making everything harder. Stop letting your fear allow you to make irrational choices."

"It is a signed term," he says, holding my stupidity over my head but I don't let it break me.

"If you interpret it in a certain way. What about the term of being able to research a way to leave the bond? Were you going to fill me in on the fact that it is impossible because the pack makes it that way? Because anyone who comes close is kicked out of their studies from the pack?"

He is silent for a good few moments but his next words are clipped. "Who told you that?" He demands, his tone entirely shifted.

My heart plummets to the pit of my stomach. "I found it out." I somehow knew that my vague answer wouldn't be enough but his lack of immediate response solidified that further.

"Don't lie to me, Thea. Who told you that?" He presses again, firmer and I wrap my free arm tightly around my midsection. "Was it him?" He doesn't even say his name.

"I was doing my research, like I am allowed to," I tell him, matching his tone. "But you were right, there is nothing to be found and there never will be. The pack would stop it, wouldn't they?" Wouldn't you, I want to add. But I don't.

"This isn't your concern, you shouldn't be meddling so far into pack house affairs." So much for empowerment of the free press Micah, maybe he didn't expect me to write things of any substance against him—maybe he figured I'd be persuaded by the bond before that happened. Or maybe he had little faith in my abilities.

I don't know, and speculation only leads to a worse road.

"But I am concerned. What about all the Alphas being challenged? Does all of that mean nothing?" I press.

"That isn't for you to worry about," he says again, sighing deeply. "Athena there is nothing you need to be concerned with, and nothing that I can tell you regardless, not without you officially taking your title."

"But what if knowing makes me not want the title?" I press and a frustrated growl leaves his lips.

"It isn't your concern. No one is going to challenge me for my title, and even then they would have to beat me." He sighs deeply, running his hands through his hair.

"That doesn't matter, why can't I know? If the pack is shutting down experiments on the human mating bond then I deserve that information. And considering your life is linked to mine surely I should be let in on whatever it is that the pack wants to keep quiet," I retort, folding my arms over my chest. He lets out a groan of frustration.

"Can you just let it go?" He stares at me, his eyes almost begging. "Just drop it, our conversations don't always have to end like this."

"You make it sound like it's my fault. Like I am the one running around threatening your friends and withholding important information from you." A dry laugh escapes my lips. "Can you even imagine that?"

My question makes him pause because he knows the answer. We both toe the line, edging towards boundaries that we haven't yet unlocked within one another's lives but the key difference is that if I cross it, the retribution and backlash I'll face will be enough to keep me in check.

There is nothing but his own will keeping him from barging into my life and taking what he wants. And I don't know how much I can rely on that.

"You know what, Athena. I'll drop the investigation on your friend. I won't mention it anymore, not unless you or he gives me reasonable doubt in my decision not to intervene. But if I drop my investigation on you, then you must do the same for me. Stop half meddling in pack affairs, if you want to be part of the pack house run to become human delegate or accept me and complete the bond."

A shiver runs down my spine. "Fine, I'll drop it." I agreed, but my body was already humming with interest. His jaw hardened at the obviousness in my tone. "I'm going to go home, tell James and Ben that both of their castles are good or whatever."

I waited for him to firmly nod, or to vocalise his acceptance of my departure but instead he opted to say nothing. He just gave me a look like I was a dry piece of toast that he had to suffer through, guilt marring his own feelings like his body hated him for it. And then he turned and left.

He didn't even go back to where we were sat, he stormed straight towards the beach and then let himself be consumed by the waves, dipping underneath the cool water. I tore my eyes from his broad back that glistened under the foamy whites of the waves and made my own exit.

He's obviously not exactly happy with me either. It made my body twist into itself like I was made of binding rope, pulling and churning at me so hard that it burned. Even my heart felt on fire, so much so that my hand shot to my chest to rub it as I ascended the staircase of the beach.

I half expected him to run after me and plead for another deal to put us on good terms again. But he didn't. I should be happy with that, right?

The bond isn't blinding to me, and I don't know the extent of its influence over Micah, but I assume the innate pulls he feels exists on more of a physical level. If science were allowed to investigate it, maybe I'd know.

I guess his feelings are influenced by instincts, not driven by them. He had said before he is half human, capable of making human choices and feeling human emotions. And maybe that makes it worse, maybe it would be better if he had no self control over his words or actions because I don't know if I can like someone who is possessive and secretive and motivated by other means.

My mother once told me to not judge a man based on how he treats you when he is being praised or given what he wants, look at how he reacts when you displease him or draw a boundary and you will find out who he really is.

And I guess that's exactly what I need to do, before I can definitively decide anything. I need to find out just who Micah is and something tells me that uncovering whatever secret it is he wants to keep buried so bad will do that. 

 a/n 

how is everyone!!! hope ya'll are going good and sorry for the slight hiatus, life has been very hectic and I've had to momentarily trade the words in for statistical equations. (not so fun) 

BIG thank you to tay for your coffee! I straight up forgot I had that and it truly truly meant the world! 

in other news, my editing of TLH is underway and my other projects are slowly getting there! the old version is still on inkitt, I will be removing that in like a week so for any fanatic rereaders, here is your chance! 

ive had a few questions on my board/page/dm's, so I was thinking to do a q & a on my insta page? 

Im thinking to start up a tik Tok and get a bit more active on social media [she says for the millionth time] but let me know what you guys think and what content you want to see! 

lots of love

k

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 55.4K 27
"How do I know you won't reject me as well?" I reply, staring at the handsome Alpha who has somehow made it past my walls. He reaches a hand towards...
1.9K 43 6
Hi! I'm Scarlett! I have dirty blonde hair that goes down to my butt. I have bright blue eyes. I have a body most would kill for. I'm a math teacher...
1.7M 47.2K 46
"I set a alarm for a twelve o'clock so I could be the first one tell you happy birthday... happy birthday." I'm seventeen now. I turned the complete...
1K 59 50
I was just a normal teen having a good summer before school but then me and ace had to move to are dads and go to a new school mom told us she had th...