The Girl Who Read The Dating...

By xXForever_LoveXx

Eighteen months ago, Candice Sinclair made one of the hardest decisions of her life and moved to England to p... More

prologue
rule one: don't act surprised when he shows up on your doorstep
rule two: keep composed, always
rule three: silence is never the answer
rule four: just say yes
rule five: don't get caught
rule six: never look back
rule seven: let loose sometimes
rule eight: it pays to be prepared
rule nine: never admit defeat
rule ten: family doesn't end with blood
rule eleven: make the right choice
rule twelve: honesty is the best policy
rule thirteen: kiss and make up
The Sinchester Story!
rule fourteen: make the hardest choices
rule fifteen: never give up
rule sixteen: we all go a little crazy sometimes
rule seventeen: count your blessings
rule nineteen: salvage the relationships you can
rule twenty: be silly in the name of love
rule twenty-one: tell the truth, even if it hurts like hell
rule twenty-two: don't be a heartbreaker
rule twenty-three: food, friends and fairytales
rule twenty-four: moving on means letting go
epilogue
author's note

rule eighteen: take the leap (and don't fear the fall)

5.6K 327 51
By xXForever_LoveXx

~~~~

Dedicated to awesomeq for her support on all of my books. Means a lot to me to have followers like you in my life :)

~~~~

Soundtrack:

Wild Wolves by Athlete: the conversation between Luke and Candice

Make Believe by The Burned: when Candi talks to her mother

With Light There Is Hope by Princess One Point Five: the fight between Ava and Candi

***

"Thanks for coming with me," I said to Luke as I unlocked the apartment and stepped inside. It was chilly, and I shivered and hugged my jacket tighter around myself.

"Of course," he replied, smiling. "What are friends for?"

"We won't be here long," I promised him. "I just need to grab some clothes and toiletries and we'll be out of here."

"Take your time," he told me. "I'll just wait over here for you."

I disappeared into the bedroom and opened the closet. Thankfully even though Will had moved out to his new apartment a few floors above, he'd still left the majority of his clothes in the closet, and I pulled out some t-shirts, plaid pajama pants and boxer shorts. I also grabbed some soap and a toothbrush and toothpaste, packing it into a navy-blue overnight bag.

Just as I was grabbing his cell phone from the top of the dresser, I saw a silver photo frame that contained a picture of us from last Christmas, just after we'd gotten engaged. I was grinning into the camera, one arm up to show off my glittering engagement ring. Will had his arm around my shoulders, and, even though I could've sworn he was looking at the camera when the picture was taken, his eyes were fixed lovingly on my face in the snapshot, and he was smiling in that slow sort of way I loved. I sighed and ran my fingers over the cold glass of the frame.

"Hey, Candice, do you-" Luke said, appearing in the doorway. He stopped when he saw what I was doing, and I hastily replaced the photo on the dresser and cleared my throat, turning to him with a forced smile-one he saw right through. "How you holding up?"

I sighed and walked back over the bag, stuffing in a jacket just in case it got cold. "I'm not sure, honestly," I admitted, shaking my head. "I mean, he's in the clear right now, but the doctors say he's not out of the woods. There's still a possibility of hemorrhaging or something even worse. I'm trying to be positive, but I'm scared."

"Look, I've known Will since college," Luke told me. "And the one thing I know is that he is a fighter until the end. Which is why I know he's going to be just fine. Because he has you to come home to, and no sane man would give that up."

I laughed. "I appreciate that, Luke. Thank you."

"You two really love each other, huh?" he asked, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jackets and leaning against the doorframe.

"No, we're just marrying each other for the convenience," I replied, sarcastically, smiling.

"I'm serious," Luke told me. "What's it like to be in love?"

I thought about it for a second, because I'd never been asked before. And I realized a man like Luke-or even like Lachlan-had no idea what it was like to be in love. They'd had a constant string of girlfriends, but nothing long term or real. I sighed and folded a scarf, more to calm my nerves over Will than because he needed it. But I also wanted to think about it.

"It's scary and exciting at the same time," I said. "I mean, it's terrifying taking that leap, and it's risky. There's always a chance you'll crash and burn, but there's also a chance that it's going to be everything you ever wanted. And if it is, you can't imagine it." I smiled. "Once you have it-once you really have it-you never want to let it go. It's like their pain becomes your own. It's unbearable, but it's also absolutely beautiful."

"Sounds scary," Luke replied.

"Oh, it's freaking terrifying," I told him, chuckling. "But one thing I learned with Will is that you can't be scared the whole time. You just have to let it happen. You could live in fear, or you could let it be everything. And when it is, it's the most incredible thing you've ever experienced."

I stopped and put down the pair of jeans I was folding. "What's this all about, Will? I never figured you for the bleeding heart type."

He laughed. "Believe me, I'm not. But I'm getting older, and there's this girl I really like. I mean, what if I'm ready to settle down and she's not? What if she doesn't even like me?"

"Well, I think you'd have to ask Ava about that," I told him, winking.

His eyes widened comically. "How'd you know?"

"I wasn't born yesterday, Luke," I replied. "I saw the way you were looking at her. And what Will and I walked in on was not a friendly affair."

"Look I know that she's, you know, gay, but it didn't feel like it last night," Luke told me, fidgeting with his fingers. "Is there a chance she's... not? Or at least she has some feelings for the opposite gender?"

"I don't know," I replied. "When I knew her, she never even looked twice at a boy, but after what I saw last night, anything could happen. I think that's something you have to talk to her about."

"What if I look like an idiot?" he asked. "What if I felt something she didn't?"

"You never know unless you try," I told him. "I spent a lot of time afraid to let myself love, but when I did I realized that it was everything I ever wanted. And I only know that because I took that risk. And you'll never know either unless you try."

"Thank you," Luke told me. "Really."

My stomach roiled, and I felt an acidic taste in my throat. I held up a finger, and one of my hands flew to my stomach, which was waging a war. "Hold that thought," I croaked, sprinting for the bathroom and slamming the door behind me. I ran to the toilet and opened it, and before I knew it last night's contents were far too happy to provide an encore.

I heard the door slowly creak open and Luke walk in, and felt a flush of embarrassment. Bent over a toilet seat in a tiny little black dress was not exactly a dream come true for a girl. Luke bent down and scooped up my blonde curls, and I barely had time to hastily thank him before I was back to hurling my lungs out.

Finally, exhausted and completely empty inside, I sagged back, and Luke caught me, his arms hooking underneath mine.

"Thank you," I told him, shutting my eyes.

"Of course," he replied. "Though I must say, I'm impressed. You hold your liquor quite well.

"Apparently not," I told him, laughing. "Ugh, I feel terrible."

"Shower and change, you'll feel better," he told me. "Take it from someone who has often gone on weekend benders with your future husband. Hot water and a steam cleanse always helps."

"It might be nice to get out of this dress," I conceded, and he helped me up. I returned to my room and pulled out some comfortable jeans and a pale sweater.

A shower proved to be exactly what I needed. I washed the sticky alcohol out of my hair, cleaned my body of the sweat and blood that had cultivated over the course of the night, and allowed the nausea to leave me. I emerged feeling a lot better, and towel-dried my hair, before swinging it into a ponytail. I dressed and brushed my teeth, feeling much more put-together. I had a throbbing headache, but I no longer felt like I was going to throw up, which was a small saving grace.

Just then the phone rang, and I sighed. "Could you get that for me, please?" I yelled through the door.

Luke's voice sounded a few seconds later. "Sure."

I walked out of the hot bathroom and back into the bedroom, assessing the situation and checking the bag was filled with the contents needed, before zipping it up. Hopefully that would be enough, but I could always make a trip home later. It was times like this I desperately wished I had a car.

I heard muffled speaking in the background, and then Luke appeared, looking pale and holding out the phone. "Candice? You might wanna get this."

I frowned and took the phone off of him, smiling gratefully. "Hello?"

"So that's him, huh? The man you're marrying? Are you trying to prove something to me?"

"Who is this?" I asked, frowning.

"It's your mother, Candice," I heard Marie Sinclair reply peevishly from the other end.

"Oh, I should've known by the condescending lilt to your voice," I replied, rolling my eyes. "This isn't exactly the tender reunion I'd hoped for."

"So, you're getting married, huh?" my mother asked. "Just like that? And I suppose our invitation got lost in the mail?"

I almost choked in laughter. "Your invitation? Why in the world would you be invited, Mother? So you can spend the whole day disapproving of my life? You haven't cared about me yet, I don't expect you to make an exception on my wedding day."

"Oh, that is just like you!" she replied. "Thinking of no one but yourself. And he's answering your phone now? Are you living together?"

"First off, the guy you just spoke to is a friend, a concept you'd know nothing about. Secondly, yes my fiancé and I do live together, and, yes, we are extremely happy together. And finally, if you don't mind, I have to go. My fiancé has been involved in a serious accident and I must get back to the hospital."

"What happened to you?" she whispered. "What happened to the sweet little girl who had a lick of sense?"

I shook my head. "She grew up, stepped out of your shadow and found happiness. You should try it sometime."

I hung up and groaned, throwing the phone on the bed. As if I didn't have enough to deal with, now was the first time in the last nineteen months my mother had decided to approach me. She always was good at timing.

"So, that's your mom, huh?" Luke asked, stepping into the room and grabbing the bag for me.

I nodded. "Yes. And I'd like to apologize for whatever you were just subjected to. She has no boundaries, no tact, and no taste. Just pretend she doesn't exist."

"For the record, she sounded lovely," Luke replied sardonically.

I punched his shoulder. "Whatever. Come on, let's go."

~ * ~

By the time we made it back to the emergency room half-an-hour later, I found it filled with even more people than earlier. Milla, Pippa and Léon were nowhere to be seen, but Shae sat dutifully by the water dispenser, typing on her phone. She looked frail and exhausted, her hair a mess of tangles.

I looked around and saw that Lachlan, Genevieve and Richard were nowhere to be seen, and Ava had her legs over Jamie's lap as she read a magazine.

I walked up to them, Luke behind me. "Where are the Winchesters?" I asked.

Ava looked up and rubbed her eyes blearily, yawning. "Hey. They went to see Will."

My eyes widened. "He's ready for visitors?"

She nodded. "Yeah. But you can't go yet. They're doing it in turns, and they don't want to overwhelm him."

"How's Chance?" I replied.

"We saw him earlier, and he's okay. Already he's bored and fidgety, but he gets to leave tomorrow morning."

"You don't have to stay," I told them. "You guys can leave, if you like. There's nothing much more for you to do here."

"We want to stay for you," Jamie told me, smiling impishly. "I think you could use the support. You look like crap, by the way."

"I feel it, too," I told him.

I looked up just as, like angels, the Winchesters emerged from the hospital elevator. Genevieve looked pale and drawn, but much more revived than earlier. Lochie looked up and smiled at me as his mother chatted to Richard.

They made their way to me, and I looked between them. "Can I see him now?"

Genevieve nodded and smiled. "The whole time we were in there he was asking for you. Apparently you guys were in quite an argument when it happened."

That reminded me of something. "Hey, when you called last night, Will mentioned something about you talking to our parents."

She looked away, looking clearly ashamed. "Yes. I'm so sorry about that. But I promise you my scheming ways are under wraps now."

"No, that's not what I was going to ask," I told her reassuringly, shaking my head. "I got a call from my mother while I was getting together a bag for Will. She mentioned the wedding; seemed pretty upset about it. I was wondering what you said to her?"

I heard Ava get up quickly behind me, the magazine falling limply into her lap.

Genevieve frowned at me. "No, I never called her, Candice. I told Will that I was planning to if he didn't come to his senses, but I never did make the call."

"But she knew about the wedding, and I never told her or sent an invitation," I replied, puzzled. "Then how did she-"

Realization dawning on me, I slowly turned around to look at Ava, whose jade-green eyes were wide with panic and sorrow. "Candice, I didn't mean-"

"You told her?" I asked.

"This seems private," Genevieve said. "We're going to get coffee."

They disappeared, and I looked at Ava. "How could you?"

"They're your parents, Candi," she replied. "They had a right to know."

"No, they don't," I told her angrily. "They have absolutely no right to know about this. I haven't heard from them since I left for England, where they told me to go and never come back. I reached out to them, and they turned away. They have no right to know about my life anymore."

"Come on, it's your mom and dad. They love you!" she protested weakly. "I just thought..."

"You thought what?" I replied. "You'd go against my wishes and inform them of my life decisions? Who gave you the right to do that?"

"I just wanted you to be happy."

"Well, congratulations, Ava," I told her, throwing my hands up in the air. "Because I just got an angry call from my mother this morning telling me how disappointed she was in me for marrying someone. As if I didn't have enough on my plate."

"I didn't know..."

"No, that's exactly right, you didn't know," I told her. "And you went ahead and did it, anyway. Here's a little tip for you: if I want your help, I'll ask. And if I wanted my parents to know, I'd tell them. But I don't need you trying to play hero and messing everything up in the process."

Her eyes were filled with tears, and I felt a jolt of regret wash through me.

"Ava, I'm sorry," I told her, rubbing the bridge of my nose. "I didn't mean..."

"You know, all I've ever done is try to be a good friend," Ava replied. "I came to England to surprise you, I have given my blessing on your relationship with Will, I have signed over a part-lease in my name on an apartment and agreed to stay in England at least six months longer, when my life is in America. And maybe I screwed up this one time. Maybe I shouldn't have done it, and I'm sorry it's turned out like this. But I don't deserve what you're putting on me, when all I've ever done is try to be your best friend."

"Ava..." I began, because she was right. I was tired and stressed and hung-over, but that was no excuse to chew her out like that, when she'd only wanted me to be happy.

She shook her head. "Don't bother. I think I've heard enough."

She stormed off, and turned back around to me. "I don't even know who you are anymore."

She pivoted on her heel and walked out of the hospital doors, and I sighed, running a hand through my hair. Jamie stood up and looked at me.

"That was bad, huh?" I whispered, wiping away a tear.

"I can only imagine what you're going through right now," Jamie told me in a low voice. "And I know that things are pretty tough for you right now. But Ava's not your punching bag. She deserves better."

I nodded. "I know, Jamie. I'm sorry."

"Don't tell me that. Tell her."

"Miss Sinclair?" I turned around to find the nurse from earlier standing there. "Mr. Winchester is asking for you."

I turned back to Jamie with wide eyes. "I have to go," I whispered. "Will needs me."

"Don't worry, Ava will be here when you get back," he told me. "That's the thing about her. Even after all that, she'll still be here for you. Maybe you should think about that."

He walked off behind his sister, and I sighed, feeling empty and alone. Not knowing what else to do, I bent down and picked up the hospital bag, following the nurse towards Will.

Maybe I'd ruined things with Ava.

But there was still one relationship I needed to save.

~ * ~

Thank you for reading! This was fairly unedited, so please point out any mistakes you come across :)

I know there was no Will or Chance in this chapter, but I needed to focus on the other characters for a while to show how they're dealing with it. I also really like Luke, and this whole Ava/Luke thing was pretty unexpected, but it feels right to just explore the possibility.

Hope you enjoyed, and as always please vote and comment and tell me what you think!

Much love xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 221 17
Jungkook's fiancé is toxic and falls in love with a stripper. Jungkook finds someone who helps him realize his worth.
20.5K 9 1
Another typical story about a pathetic goody-goody of a girl who ends up falling for a player... But with a twist. After a heck of a summer, Bea Aspe...
2.8M 113K 62
Sidharth Karthikeya Roy, a dangerous and powerful businessman who is a ruthless CEO of Roy group. He got entangled in an arranged marriage with Megha...
254K 9.6K 39
"Where is he?" Paul had an apologetic look on his face "I'm sorry Sir, I lost him." "You did what?" Harry immediately began searching for his wallet...