Rebirth of Poisoned Empress...

By alyun100719445

Shen Liang was beautiful and cold like jade, but he was also extremely cruel to his enemy. Pei Yuanxian who k... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Untitled Part 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128

Chapter 123

1K 37 1
By alyun100719445

The line of carriages left from the west city gate. However, the official route to Xiangguo Temple was crowded with both sides flooded with refugees seeking to enter the Imperial City or could not. The unprecedented downpour that hadn't been seen for over decades had left the court seeming vibrant and busy with settling matters but lacking in any real results and relief alleviation. In actuality, it wasn't difficult to resolve the issues the floods had resulted in. However, under layer after layer of exploitation, not even a third of the relief funds fell through and had been used towards actual disaster relief.

"Please be benevolent! Please give us some food!"

"I beg of you to please give some more. We haven't had anything to eat for two three days now."

"My lord, please be benevolent."

"Scram..."

The route that would normally take on half an hour's worth of time, they had spent more than two hours on. The carriage meandered through the crowd with great difficulty before arriving at the foot of Fengming Mountain. But they had no choice but to stop there. It seemed like the crows of refugees was even more saturated at the foot of the mountain. The sounds and cries of the refugees pierced through the carriage windows, mixed in with the occasional vicious voices of authorities attempting to drive them away.

"Fifth young master, the carriage is unable to proceed any further," Lei Zhen's voice called out. Shen Liang raised his arm and lifted the curtains of the carriage. Because Xiangguo Temple was guarded by the monks, the temple was not flooded by refugees, but the public foot of the mountain was filled with the homeless. From the foot of the mountain to the entrance of the temple, there was still a few hundred meters left to go. However, if they left the carriages and walked the rest of the way on foot, they would undoubtedly by trapped in the middle of the crowd of refugees. If they weren't careful, they'd end up like fish in troubled waters. 

"No rush. Let's see what they'll do." Shen Liang let the curtain fall back down and lied back to close his eyes and rest.

"How are there so many refugees?" in the carriage, Zhao Lan and Lu Yang's expressions were especially ugly. It wasn't that they were afraid of walking a few steps but the problem was they were women and there was no say whether any of the refugees had contacted any disease or illness. What if they suddenly rushed towards them? If they were caught amongst the crowd of refugees, their innocence would be lost and hard to defend.

"Have someone go down and chase them away," the old Madame ordered with a grim expression. The accompanying maids and guards complied and began to chase the refugees away but...

"Aiyo... the servants of the officials are bullying civilians..."

"Save me..."

"They're beating us to death... is there anyone..."

When a person couldn't even fill their stomach, who cared whether the other party was a noble or official? They had nothing more to lose. The servants and guards from the affluent families were rough and the methods they used to chase the refugees away were also brusque. The refugees who were in the front rows were immediately pushed back and fell on the ground. Momentarily, a crowd of them then surged forward toward the line of carriages.

"Ah... What is going on? Have them stop..."

"What are you doing?"

"Ahhh..."

The twenty or so maids and guards were no match against the crowd of refugees who had lost their rationale. The carriages rocked back and forth from the angry mob's attacks and panicked and frantic cries then pierced the sky. It was utter chaos. 

"Aren't those carriages from the Marquis Donglin Manor? They actually dare to show their faces?"

"How foolish. They actually dare to chase away refugees. Do they think it's still the same as before? They deserve what they get."

"Isn't that right. These refugees have already lost their rationale. If this progresses, it won't end well."

"Let's go. Let's go. Let's go. Let's leave first before we get implicated."

Due to the reckless actions of the Marquis Donglin Manor, the others who had also been trapped amongst the crowd of refugees along the route to Xiangguo Temple were finally able to progress and leave. They hurriedly ordered their coachmen to take the opportunity and drive the carriage towards their destination. Once they made it to the entrance of the temple, they were no longer in any hurry to give their prayers either. Instead, they got of their carriages and watched the predicament the Marquis Donglin Manor had entrapped themselves in with amusement. Public outrage had already surrounded the line of carriages.

"Have them stop. Stop..."

"Ah...Mother... the carriage is about to fall over."

"Impudent! Open your dog eyes and see clearly for yourselves exactly who we are. We're people from the Marquis Dongling Manor..."

"So people from the Marquis Donglin Manor are allowed to just beat people whenever they want?"

"Exactly. On what basis?"

"Exactly. Exactly,"

The carriage swayed from the anger of the refugees while from inside, the continuous cries and angry roars of the madams echoed as well. Even with the guards, it was hard for four limbs to fight against a crowd of attackers. Hence, their efforts to fight back proved futile. Some refugees were almost even able to climb into the carriages to voice their dissent. It setting was only getting more chaotic. If no one stepped forward to stop it from progressing, it would not end well.

"Fifth young master?" Shen Liang's carriage was near the end of the entourage. The guards and maids who had been sent to chase the refugees away weren't his people and naturally wouldn't care about his life or death. Fortunately, he had his own people. The moment the refugees began to surge forward, Lei Zhen had his people arranged in the crowd to surround their carriage. No matter how the crowd pushed forward, they weren't able to get any closer than allowed. 

Unexpectedly, Shen Liang did not respond to him. Instead, he lifted the curtain to the carriage and bowed down to exit from the carriage. His slender body stood on the front board and with his beautiful and delicate and noble appearance, accompanied by his noble and cold demeanor, he resembled an exiled immortal, banished into the mortal realm. Immediately, he captured the attention of many refugees as those surrounding Shen Liang's carriage stopped in unison.

"Fifth young master!"

When Lei Zhen saw his emergence, he immediately rushed forward, prepared to guard the boy behind him but Shen Liang waved his hand. He stood at higher grounds and his gaze slowly swept across the crowds and scanned his surroundings. Like a flower blooming with the spring warmth, a gentle and compassionate smile greeted the obsessive gazes of the refugees. Shen Liang placed a hand over his waist and gave the refugees a humble bow: "My apologies. The manor's servants have been rude. I am the heir of the Marquis Donglin Manor, Shen Liang and to express my apology, I will arrange to have baskets of steamed buns handed out at the foot of the mountain later. I ask everyone to forgive our offense."

The person was not only beautiful, but also harbored a good attitude and compassion. The crowd of refugees were momentarily dumbfounded and at a loss on whether to continue. The onlookers who were also traveling towards Xiangguo Temple as well as the monks guarding the foot of the mountain were also surprised by such a scene. Shen Liang's name and reputation were known by almost everyone in the Imperial City but there were few who had actually seen him. It was rumored that he looked like a banished immortal, as ethereal as a heavenly being. He had only just returned to the Imperial City two months ago but had already replaced Shen Qiang as the most beautiful person in the Imperial City. Originally, many had thought the rumors were being exaggerated, but seeing him now, they knew that this boy truly did live up to the title that befell on him. Shen Liang's beauty was androgenous. That flawless and delicate face seemed to be a perfect masterpiece made by the Heavens themselves. Everything else pales in comparison to his beauty.

"That little b*stard..." the old madame didn't expect to allow Shen Liang gain such a bargain and opportunity from the predicament. She gritted her teeth in anger but also didn't dare to act out as to incur another grave mistake. If a riot were to occur, it would be the end of all of them.

"If no one has any objections, could our carriage be allowed to pass?" ignoring the worshipping gazes of the refugees, Shen Liang continued with a gentle smile. Everyone craved to be respected. As long as he gave them the respect they wanted, they would naturally concede with convenience of passage. The servants from the Marquis Donglin Manor were accustomed to being arrogant with the manor backing them up. For their actions to incur public outrage sooner or later was to be expected.

"How do we know you aren't lying to us?"

"Exactly. All you children of the nobles and officials just forget about us the moment you escape danger."

"Yes. We can't just let you pass like that. You guys were in the wrong first by hurting others. You should give us an explanation first."

"Yes. Yes. Yes."

After recovering from their trance, under the instigation of a few particularly stubborn refugees, the others began to voice their dissatisfaction again. Their emotions began to surge once again but Shen Liang handled it with ease: "I had already stated my identity. If I were to go back on my words, any of you are free to find me at the Marquis Donglin Manor or sue me at Yamen. Even if it is in vain, wouldn't it at least damage my reputation? I reason there would be at least some amongst you who are sensible and should know how much reputation means to Gers like me. Of course, you can continue what you're doing now as well. However, I must remind all of you that the Marquis Dongling Manor isn't some small name family.  My elder brother, Shen Da, is a general in the Northwest battlefield. The moment something happens to us, I'm afraid no one here would be able to escape his rage unscathed. I hope everyone can be rational and make the choice that would benefit both of us here."

Shen Liang did not only resort to blindly appeasing them but also played a delicate balance between power and compassion. Only using either or would only prove detrimental. The refugees also began to converse amongst themselves after hearing Shen Liang's logic. 

"Everyone, let's just listen to Young Master Shen. Not only is he the heir of the Marquis Donglin Manor, but also the future Princess Consort Qingping. During the flood this year, if it weren't for the Duke of Qingping's Ironclad Guards' quick reaction and partnership with General Ling, Marquis Huaiyang, and his son, the dam would have been lost a long time ago. I'm afraid if it weren't for them, we would've lost far more than just our homes and fields. 

"Yes. Let's trust Young Master Shen. Everyone, make a path..."

"Young Master, you must keep your words...."

"Everyone, calm down. Young Master Shen's words are not without reason..."

No one knew who made the remark, but the moment they were reminded of Shen Liang's status as the future Princess Consort Qingping, the refugees gradually started to make way for them. The originally crowded path slowly made a small path that could reluctantly accommodate a carriage's width and passage. 

"Continue forth. If anyone dares to lay a hand on the civilians, he will be executed where he stands. No one will be tolerated." His former gentleness was swept away instantly as Shen Liang turned around. His noble aura concentrated into an authoritative demeanor that could not be taken lightly. It had a domineering effect as the servants guarding the carriages all shivered unanimously. This was the first time they experienced Shen Liang's decisiveness and unhesitating resort to kill if necessary first hand.

"Listen to Xiao Wu. Settle down," no matter how frustrated and irritated she was, the old lady had no choice but to cooperate. She didn't want them to be truly trapped here.

"Yes!" under the two masters of the manor's orders, the servants of the manor did not dare to object either. The line of carriages slowly began to progress again as the crowd of refugees followed closely behind. Once the first carriage made it to the entrance of the temple and the driver pulled the reins to halt the horses, the maids immediately jumped out first before turning around and leading their respective masters out of the carriages. When they had exited the carriage, the second carriage followed after the first carriage departed. Like that, after a stick of incense's time passed, the people from the Marquis Donglin Manor were all able to safely step out from their carriages. However, all of their faces were pale, and it was evident that they had all been frightened by the crowd's riot. 

"No need. Go help Yaoguang and have the door to the carriage removed," when it was finally Shen Liang's turn, Lei Zhen reached an arm out to escort Shen Liang out of the carriage, but Shen Liang directly refused him and jumped off from the carriage. Lei Zhen did not insist either and signaled for a Marquis Donglin Manor servant to lead the carriage away. When Yaoguang's carriage finally pulled up, the two of them led the carriage to the side of the road and requested that the refugees make room. Under the scrutiny of the crowd of refugees, they then untied the reins of the horses, pulled out a bench from the carriage and placed it in front to prevent the carriage from tipping over. Afterwards, the walls and doors to the carriage were torn down.

"Steamed buns..."

No one knew who made that cry but everyone's attention was soon captured. Stunned, they raised their head to take a look. The giant carriage was actually filled and stuffed with baskets of white, tender steamed buns. They were all fat and white. No one knew exactly how long the refugees had been without food for, but their eyes immediately lit up with hunger and greed. They hated that they couldn't immediately rush forward to snatch the steamed buns for themselves.

"I originally intended to donate these to the monks of Xiangguo Temple but since I have already promised them to all of you, then I can only apologize to the temple. I ask everyone to please remain calm and make a line. Come forth one by one. Everyone will have their share." Shen Liang who had hopped off his carriage did not gather with the rest of the Shen Family at the foot of the mountain, that was guarded and free from refugees. Rather, he stepped forward and appeared as though he was personally going to hand the steamed buns out to the refugees himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

791K 79.8K 55
3 lives got entangled due to the twisted Destiny...... Vidyut Rajvanshi married his college sweetheart Sanjana and was leading a happy life ......bot...
185K 5.3K 144
Part 1 of "The Hunter's Gonna Lay Low" Introduction: Hunter Cha Eui-jae, who was dispatched to seal a rift that appeared over the West Sea, was flung...
989K 30.6K 61
Dans un monde où le chaos et la violence étaient maitre, ne laissant place à ne serrait ce qu'un soupçon d'humanité. Plume était l'exception. Elle...
226K 13.9K 64
𝐓𝐨 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐜𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐡 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫. ...