Project Athena | Reviews

By Project_Athena

Are you looking for honest and constructive feedback on your writing? Look no further! Our team of reviewers... More

AI Usage
Rules and Guidelines
Reviewer Profile-Emily (OPEN)
Reviewer Profile-Haize (OPEN)
Reviewer Profile-Roses (OPEN)
Reviewer Profile-Nadia (Closed For Catch Up)
Reviewer Profile - Moni (Closed For Catch Up)
Reviewer Profile-Emmanuel (Hiatus)
Reviewer Profile-Carmi (Hiatus)
The Stories of the Solar Eclipse (Haize)
Shadow of the Gryphon (Carmi)
Dreams of Wonderland (Carmi)
Shadowed Sun (Roses)
Love At Dawn (Carmi)
The Greatest Villain of All Time (Roses)
How To Get Away With Evil (Carmi)
Daracka (Roses)
The Mechanical Muse (Roses)
Ocean of Blossoms and Blues (Carmi)
Captured Feelings! (Carmi)
Mirrored Face (Nadia)
Child of Prophecy (Emmanuel)
The Two Sides of A Sword (Roses)
Moth Light (Nadia)
Along Came Charlie (Emmanuel)
The Gunner and The Florist (Roses)
Kyrah Wilson and The Prophecy of Queen Adela (Emmanuel)
The Shepherds (Nadia)
Avalon: The Six Keys of Destruction (Roses)
Thoughts of An Ordinary Person (Carmi)
Lost Eden ‖ Heavens Fall (Emmanuel)
Clap - The Sound of Death (Nadia)
The Mansion (Nadia)
Fourteen Ways To Kill A Cicada (Roses)
Cosmic Fables: A Princess Odyssey(Carmi)
Rise of Azongaar (Roses)
Astrid: Limbus Obscuria (Emmanuel)
Mosaicked Feelings (Carmi)
Feelstora (Emmanuel)
Monsters and Magic (Roses)
Regalia (Roses)
The Girl From Human World (Roses)
The Art of Remembering (Carmi)
A Mysterious School Trip(Nadia)
Shadowangel (Nadia)
Volume of Unvoiced Verses (Emmanuel)
Trouble In Not So Pretty Paradise (Roses)
Crooked Hearts (Nadia)
Haywire Ranger (Roses)
As The Moon Wished (Emmanuel)
Her Family (Emmanuel)
The Nephalem and The Last Elemental (Emmanuel)
Statuelike (Haize)
The Room Next Door (Haize)
Dungeon (Nadia)
They Who Slaughtered Hope (Emily)
The Elf Witch (Emily)
Nirvasan (Nadia)
We Give Unto Thee (Emily)
King Eden (Haize)
The God's Game (Emily)
The Edge of The World (Emily)
The Fenrir Saga (Roses)
SHS (Nadia)
Boy Meets Beast (Haize)
Cataract of Delusion (Nadia)
Storm Wars Lore (Haize)
They Came With Secrets (Nadia)

A Midsummer Night's Dream(Nadia)

33 5 2
By Project_Athena

Author: Pviscelle

Reviewer: SardonicBeauty

Genre: Fantasy/Thriller

"A Midsummer Night's Dream" is a fantasy-themed short story that revolves around Bierra Host, a seventeen-year-old girl. While the story is based on her, the premise is set from the point of view of an incubus.

Although it is a short story, I thoroughly enjoyed the revelations made in the plot. The story is set in the 1920s, and the dialogue reflects the language of that era.

The story is intriguing, providing interesting information and character details.

Now, let's focus on the technical aspects of the story.

Firstly, I'd like to address character development. The incidents are presented from the perspective of the incubus, not Bierra herself. While this adds an interesting perception, it doesn't contribute significantly to character development. To enhance the story, it would be beneficial to include finer details that show the changes in Bierra's behavior as she falls deeper for him. For example:

"I could see it in her eyes. I observed how she made excuses to spend more time with him, slowly torturing herself. She would lean her head on the window sill, watching him go out with her foster sibling, her delicate features marred by a frown, silently wishing it was her instead."

This is just an example. Showing the changes in Bierra's behavior would have a stronger impact than simply stating them.

Secondly, let's discuss the plot of the story. It's an interesting and impressive use of fantasy, showcasing the true essence of imagination. I believe the primary genre of this book is a psychological thriller, although it lacks the inner conflict that leads to a climactic moment. The plot revolves around focusing on the perspective of the characters Bierra imagines. To add more thrill to the story, you could depict how Bierra acts after imagining her time with the boy and show the negative impact it has on her foster sibling. This is just an idea or food for thought if you consider rewriting the story.

Thirdly, the setting of the story is well done, with sufficient details. To further solidify the timeline, you could incorporate elements such as the types of cars used in the 1920s, the educational system, and the specific schools present during that era.

Lastly, regarding other details: Instead of writing "incites against my chest," you could use a phrase like "a bestial or guttural growl rumbled in my chest." There are instances where you have used the past tense, such as "would" and "was," which are appropriate in some cases but incorrect in others. For example, instead of "he would frequent her house," it should be "he would frequently visit her house."

Now, regarding the topic of schizophrenia. When writing a story that mentions this topic, it is important to provide a trigger warning at the beginning of the chapter. You never know who might be reading the story and how it might affect them. There are mature scenes, and I would advise you to include warnings for those as well, as the actions depicted may be triggering for some readers.

In the preface, add a warning beforehand and also explain what schizophrenia is in your reflection, describing how it affects people, and provide a link to the source you obtained the information from.

I would rate this short story 4 out of 5 stars. It is an interesting read that offers a unique perspective. With some minor edits and another read-through, it can be improved.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 1.4K 51
𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 , 𝐀𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐲𝐚𝐡 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐧 𝟏𝟎𝐭𝐡 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐡...
9.6K 212 17
This a story on azula on how she found happiness Please be nice this is my first fanfiction 🙂 Azula escaped the asylum zuko put her in after the de...
631 127 15
Calling all aspiring writers seeking stardom! Unlock the secret of capturing hearts with your powerful prose. At "Shining Words", we provide you a...
273K 7.9K 134
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."