šˆ š’š“šˆš‹š‹ šƒšŽ ā€• e. cas...

By -JASONSGRACE

I still do want you to want me like I'm wanting you. [ ej caswell x original character ] [ book three in the... More

disclaimer
I still do
epigraph
001
002
003
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
014
015
author's note

004

449 30 5
By -JASONSGRACE

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝗜 𝗦𝗧𝗜𝗟𝗟 𝗗𝗢

chapter four:
role of a lifetime !

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

"SO, LET ME get this straight," EJ began. "You snapped back at a Hollywood director and scared a famous TikTok star, all in the span of two minutes?"

Violetta ate another forkful of pasta while shrugging. Contrary to popular belief, EJ was actually the one who called her this time. He had wanted to hear about the first day of filming and her audition for High School Musical. After asking about filming, Violetta immediately dove into a rant about the events of the day — how the auditions overlapped, how she danced with Mack (conveniently leaving out the part how they danced well together), Quinn's comment, and Dani's look.

"You should've heard the way she talked to me," Violetta responded. "Like, I get it, she's a director and needs things to happen in a certain way, but I was asked to fill in. It's not like I wanted to take Dani's spot. Besides, she was late because she was upset about there not being steam showers." She rolled her eyes and ate some more pasta. "Like, how tragic."

EJ let out a small laugh, and the sound made Violetta's stomach infuriatingly flutter. "Looks like you did what you do best. Stand up for yourself."

Violetta pointed her fork at the screen. "That's exactly what Athena said, too."

"Yeah, it's 'cause we just know you that well." He then paused for a moment, running his hand through his hair. "How'd the musical audition go?"

"It was fine," Violetta answered. "I had five minutes, but five minutes was all I needed. I quite literally ran down the hall, sang Now or Never, and made it back in time for all of us to rehearse the scene together."

"It wasn't in the auditorium?" EJ questioned.

"No. We had to audition in the rehearsal room, which was crazy weird, by the way. But it was fine."

EJ gave her a confident smile. "There's no way you're not getting Gabriella."

"There is absolutely a way I'm not getting Gabriella," Violetta argued lightly, grabbing her now-empty bowl and standing up from her kitchen island. "And her name is Athena Blake." She put her bowl and fork in the sink before turning around, leaning on her back against the counter. "Besides, I don't want Gabriella. You think I'm lead material?"

"Yes."

Violetta stared at the screen, her face feeling warm at the sincerity in his voice — she was suddenly very glad it was dark so he couldn't see. "Thanks, I appreciate it, but nope. I'm a dancer, and that's all I want. I would love to be Martha again."

EJ nodded, resting his head on his pillows. "You killed it last time."

"I know, thanks." Violetta smiled to herself at the way he scoffed. "You auditioned for that acapella group, right?"

"Yeah, I'm in. First practice is tomorrow."

"Wow, okay. So school, four jobs, a ping-pong team, and an acapella group. Do you have time to breathe?"

"I guess we'll find out," EJ responded. "And you forgot to add talking to V as a part of that list."

Violetta rolled her eyes playfully, but they caught on a new notification. It was from their theater group chat, and it read Emergency cast meeting to announce the HSM3 cast list. There was another notification under it from Gina, saying to meet at her house.

"Hey, I've got to go," Violetta said. "Cast list is being announced."

"Good luck," EJ told her. "You've got it . . . Martha."

She scrunched her nose slightly at him. "Thanks. Have a good day tomorrow. I—"

Violetta quickly cut herself off.

"Goodnight, EJ."

EJ smiled at her. "Night, V."

He hung up, and it went back to her home screen, which was a picture of her, Ricky, Athena, and Big Red. Violetta stared at her phone in horror. God, how did she almost slip up like that?

After a quick drive — yes, she had finally gotten her driver's license so she didn't need to rely on anyone to drive her around anymore — she made it to Gina's house. Violetta parked her car outside and entered the house without knocking, knowing that the others were most definitely inside already.

Violetta climbed the stairs, smiling happily at all the theater kids who were in Gina's attic bedroom, which was very cute. "Hey, guys."

"Vi!" Gina exclaimed. "Hey, I didn't get the chance to tell you earlier, but your dancing earlier was incredible. You looked great with Mack."

"Really great," Kourtney added, smirking a little.

Violetta blinked at them. "Huh?"

"Sparks were flying. We all saw it."

She immediately rolled her eyes — the thought of being anything with Mack, even though they had bantered a little bit, was just absolutely sickening. "There were no sparks. Besides, he's dating Dani. I wouldn't go after somebody who has a girlfriend."

Kourtney gave her a look. "You could at least try."

"Kourt, I love you, but there will be no trying involved."

Ashlyn raised an eyebrow at her. "Vi, I've heard that you've been talking a lot with EJ recently."

Violetta crossed her arms defensively across her chest. "Yeah? I only see him as a friend, though." Lie — but they didn't have to know. "We're just . . . it doesn't mean anything."

"Right."

Violetta stared ahead of her, chewing her cheek nervously. She knew that talking to her ex probably wasn't the best thing she could be doing right now and was viewed as a bad idea from others, but she couldn't help that there seemed to be a rope attached to her chest pulling her towards EJ. That rope might've been strained over the summer, but ever since he left for college, her heart had been yearning for him again.

They might've only really known each other for less than a year, but Violetta couldn't remember what her life was like before EJ. He had snuck into her heart and settled there permanently — there was no getting rid of him, whether Violetta liked it or not. The universe worked in mysterious ways, Violetta knew that. And if the universe said they were made just to be friends, then so be it.

But Violetta didn't believe the whole friends part.

"Everyone, sit," Carlos said while taking an envelope from Emmy, completely interrupting their conversation. Violetta moved to a couch on the side and sat down. "Everyone, breathe. Today was big. We rehearsed for a Hollywood movie. But in my humble opinion, the following is even bigger."

Ricky suddenly appeared at the top of the stairs after stomping footsteps, Athena right behind him — as per usual. "Am I too late?"

"For Ricky Bowen, you're right on time," Carlos told him. "As for you, Athena, I'm a little disappointed."

Athena pointed to her boyfriend accusingly. "Blame him." She then walked over to the small couch and sat beside Violetta. "Hey, Vi."

Violetta took in the nice outfits they were wearing and how they seemed slightly rushed — that could only mean one thing. "Date night?"

"Date night cut short. For good reason, though."

Carlos cleared his throat to get their attention. "Sharpay will be played by Kourtney Greene."

Everyone in the room instantly cheered. Violetta clapped, smiling a little. She wouldn't say she was surprised, though. Seb had played Sharpay beautifully last time, and since he wasn't here to do it again, Kourtney was the perfect fit. She definitely had Sharpay energy.

"Ryan will be played by moi."

Kourtney pointed to Carlos, talking over all the cheering. "Dream team."

"Kelsi will be played by Ashlyn Moon Caswell," Carlos continued.

Violetta looked over at Athena, and she nudged their shoulders together. Athena had played Kelsi last time, but the role was now taken. That meant there was a huge chance she would get Gabriella. Violetta had no doubt in her mind that she would — it just had to happen.

"Taylor will be played by the famous, controversial Hollywood exile known only as Emmy."

Violetta nodded to herself. Even though Emmy was a freshman, after her performance at camp, she knew she would absolutely kill it at Taylor.

"Here we go," Carlos stated. "Troy will be played by, not shockingly, featured extra number two, aka Richard Bowen."

Well, who could've seen that coming?

Ricky stood up, raising his fists in the air in excitement. "Let's go, seniors! Yes!"

Violetta rolled her eyes, although there was a small grin on her face — truly nobody else could play Troy. "No surprise there."

Athena kissed him on the cheek when he sat down. "Proud of you."

"And now, the moment we've all been waiting for, Gabriella," Carlos voiced, his eyes trailing across all of them until they landed on Athena.

Violetta immediately perked up. Oh, absolutely yes.

Athena's eyes widened. "Carlos, are you saying . . ."

"Let me have my moment." He paused dramatically before smiling brightly. "It's you."

Violetta turned to her best friend, throwing her arms around her in celebration. "Gabriella era!"

Athena let out a laugh and hugged her back tightly — another tradition every time they looked at a cast list. "This is insane. I got Gabriella."

"Just like I knew you would." Violetta pulled back and rested her hands on her shoulders, looking into her eyes proudly. "You were meant for this role, 'Thena."

"Um, excuse me, Ash, there's more," Carlos cut in as Ashlyn spoke a voice message to Maddox, who she had been texting nonstop ever since camp. "Martha, Violetta."

Violetta grinned widely. Martha was all she needed — small part, minimal singing, always dancing. She did it last time, so she could obviously do it again.

Athena clapped loudly for her. "Oh, absolutely."

Violetta stood up from the couch and gave them a curtsy. "Here for all your pop, lock, jam, and break urges for the second time."

"I am personally lobbying for Miss Jenn to play Miss Darbus," Carlos revealed. "And that's it."

"Wait, what about Chad?" Gina asked.

Emmy stood up in agreement. "Right. My — my boyfriend?"

"Chad is not cast yet," Carlos explained after checking the list, and Violetta frowned.

"I'm sorry, how do we not have enough people to fill out an HSM3 cast?" Gina questioned.

"It appears the movie sucked up all other potential drama kids. They're getting a hundred bucks a week, plus all the kettle corn they can eat. We can't compete with that."

"You guys, Dani just posted something really cryptic on Instagram," Kourtney admitted. She sat down on the table, and they all looked over her shoulder at her phone. "It reads, Hollywood is brutal. Stay grounded out there, babes." Kourtney gasped. "Mack commented, Shit's messed up. Ooh, what kind of tea they got going on there?"

To be honest, Violetta didn't care. Dani's smug look as she walked away was enough to build at least slight resentment inside of Violetta. Whatever. It didn't matter, anyways.

Suddenly, her phone began to ring. Violetta smiled softly for a moment, thinking it was EJ, calling her to see how the cast list was. However, when she pulled her phone out, that was definitely not the case. It was an unknown number, starting with a three-one-oh area code.

"Uh, guys . . . what area code is three-one-oh?" Violetta inquired.

"Three-one-oh, that's Hollywood, baby," Carlos responded.

Athena looked to her with wide eyes. "Hollywood?"

Violetta shrugged, just completely and utterly lost as she sat down on the step that led to Gina's bed. "Maybe I'm fired from what happened today?"

"Look, if you're fired from the movie, you're still Martha," Ricky replied.

"Yes, Ricky. Thank you for the reassurance." And although she had no idea what Hollywood wanted with her, she answered the phone and put it on speaker. "Hello?"

"Violetta Chase," Quinn — the director — began. "Hi. It's Quinn, the director. Sundance runner-up for Where Has All The Money Gone?"

"Yeah, I remember," Violetta answered. "Um, if this is about earlier, I'm sorry for messing up. It won't happen again."

She wasn't sorry, not even one bit. Violetta turned to Athena and mouthed I'm lying, making her quietly laugh and shake her head.

"Listen, that is the exact thing that I need," Quinn stated. "I spoke to your drama teacher today and she said that you have the range, talent, and ambition to really make a mark. And not just in the background."

Violetta straightened up a little bit, tilting her head slightly to the side. "What does that mean?"

"Well, what I'm saying is . . . how would you like to replace Dani in High School Musical 4?"

And suddenly, just like that, Violetta's world turned upside down.

∘ ₊ ✧ ──── ✧ ₊ ∘

HELL YEAH VI LET'S GO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.8K 525 21
so love me for who I am and for who I'm gonna be. [ ej caswell x original character ] [ book three in the fallin' series ] [ part of the good times a...
20.3K 529 11
"... š™©š™š™š š™¬š™š™¤š™”š™š š™Øš™žš™£š™œš™žš™£š™œ š™©š™š™žš™£š™œ š™žš™Ø š™¢š™–š™ š™žš™£š™œ š™©š™š™š š™Øš™˜š™š™¤š™¤š™” š™œš™¤ š™˜š™§š™–š™Æš™®." ā€• Two high school students who are worlds ap...
178K 5.4K 82
ā”ā”ā”ā” š†šŽšŽšƒ š†šˆš‘š‹š’ 思 so you're different, then? different than people presume you to be? 怞 ...
41.7K 793 14
In which two heartbroken teenagers get together and make a plan to try and win back their exes. "Been wondering if your heart's still open ...