𝐈 π’π“πˆπ‹π‹ πƒπŽ ― e. cas...

By -JASONSGRACE

I still do want you to want me like I'm wanting you. [ ej caswell x original character ] [ book three in the... More

disclaimer
I still do
epigraph
001
002
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
014
015
author's note

003

481 27 4
By -JASONSGRACE

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝗜 𝗦𝗧𝗜𝗟𝗟 𝗗𝗢

chapter three:
unbothered !

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

THERE WAS AN itch underneath Violetta's skin, begging her to just dance.

It was the first day of High School Musical 4 rehearsals, and if she had learned anything, it was that featured backgrounds were normally forced to learn choreography. That was good for her — after all, dancing was the one true thing that could clear her head.

Violetta walked ahead of the theater group, which she had just met up with with Athena, and led them in the direction of the auditorium. "I had a coffee this morning and I'm ready to go."

"Who gave you caffeine?" Carlos asked from behind her. "I thought we had an intervention about that."

"Sorry, I can't hear you because you're walking too slow."

Their group finally made it to the auditorium. The theater hallway, much like yesterday, was crowded with people, moving props and discussing things about the movie. On the doors to the auditorium was a sign displaying that there was a private rehearsal for homecoming.

"This is so official, there's a sign on the door," Ashlyn said. "What do we do? Do we knock? Do we make a grand entrance? Like, what do they do in Hollywood?"

"You guys, we're actually rehearsing for High School Musical 4," Gina stated, making all of them squeal.

"Hollywood?" Ricky questioned. "More like Hollywill."

Violetta slowly looked towards him, blinking. Oh wow.

"Sorry, guys, I'm just really excited."

Athena patted his shoulder comfortingly. "It's okay, you tried."

"My college applications are gonna love this," Kourtney voiced. "Kourtney Greene — scholar, philanthropist, Hollywood actress."

And there was also that issue. College. Violetta knew she had to start looking, but she couldn't thin of anything else she wanted to do besides dance.

"Obviously, my bone structure was built for the big screen, but is anyone concerned that we have auditions for Miss Jenn in an hour?" Carlos inquired.

"Nope," Ricky replied. "That's when this rehearsal ends. So we'll be warmed up, ready to go and in Wildcat mode."

A woman then emerged from behind the auditorium doors. "Featured background?"

"Yes," they all answered at the same time.

"You're late. Why didn't you knock?"

"Funny story—" Ashlyn started to say.

"Time is money," the told them.

She then walked back inside, clearly not waiting for them any longer. Most of the group scrambled to grab onto the closing door. Violetta hung back and walked in after Ashlyn, letting the door shut behind her. She walked further into the familiar auditorium, her eyes locking on the stage — now this is what she lived for.

However, she suddenly noticed that two people were missing. Of course they were. Violetta turned back around and opened up the door again, peeking her head out the door. Sure enough, Ricky and Athena were standing there together.

"Hey, lovebirds," Violetta greeted. "Let's go."

Athena rolled her eyes at her. "Coming, Vi."

Violetta held the door open for them before going back into the auditorium. Everyone was getting onto the stage, which had props for the movie on it. Violetta fell into line next to Athena and Gina, her full attention on the dance teacher. While the dance teacher talked, somebody working on the movie moved down their line and handed them numbers. Violetta accepted her number eight and stuck it onto her yellow shirt.

"So, you're excused from class this afternoon," the dance teacher began. "I'm Krystal, the choreographer for the movie, and I've got two hours to teach you this dance combination."

Violetta raised her eyebrows. Two hours? Considering they had school musical auditions in an hour, that definitely wouldn't work.

Ricky raised his hand in the air. "We thought this was just an hour 'cause we really need this theater."

"That's what I was talking about," Carlos agreed, the number three sticker backwards on his shirt, just like he did with the musical announcement yesterday.

"Ah, first rule of being an extra," Krystal interrupted. "No questions or talking unless it's an emergency. We shoot this in a couple of weeks. Confidentially, this is the big high school reunion song, headlined by Mo, Lucas, and Corbin."

"I love how everyone keeps calling Monique Mo," Ashlyn responded. "I'm sorry, I talked."

Ricky raised his hand once more. "Krystal, I'd like to use an emergency question. If we theoretically had an audition here for our school musical in an hour—"

"Then theoretically, the director would laugh that you think a school musical is more important than her film," Krystal argued.

"Right, but—"

"Uh, we're honored to be here, Krystal," Gina quickly interjected.

Violetta appreciated Gina saving them before things got ugly, but she hated how something important to her, like the musical, was getting pushed to the side. She just wanted everything to be normal, like it was for the past two musicals.

"So, here we go," Krystal instructed, clapping. "A five, six, seven, eight." She then started to dance the moves to the combination. "Step, step, jump, clap, kick, cross, again. Step, step, jump, clap, kick, cross. That connects with left grapevine and a back turn and hip."

Violetta watched her carefully, but the steps were so simple that they practically imprinted in her mind. She had been trained in dance her whole life, and Miss Jenn had done a beautiful job of teaching the rest. They definitely had this.

"Now, I know I taught that fast—"

"Ready, guys?" Violetta asked, and when she glanced back, they all nodded. "A five, six, seven, eight." She started to follow all the steps. "Step, step, jump, clap, kick, and turn. Step, step, jump, clap, kick back and into a left grapevine, back turn, and hip."

Violetta looked back at them, a small smile on her face. Now this — this is what she wanted. All of them had moved through the steps fluidly without messing up whatsoever. Violetta then raised her hand for a high-five, and Athena obliged.

Krystal stared at them all in shock. "Um, okay. Where did you guys come from?"

"Miss Jenn's drama class," Ricky replied.

A new person then walked into the auditorium from backstage. "If I may, I'm Quinn Robbins. I'm the director of this film. Some of you may know me from my Sundance runner-up movie about the global recession of 2007 entitled Where Has All The Money Gone?"

Ashlyn clapped loudly for that. "Wonderful film."

"Thank you. To the featured background boy who just spoke, I don't know what a Miss Jenn is, but I do know what a Miss Darbus is because I spent all of last night in Salt Lake City corporate housing drinking thirteen dollar water bottles and watching the High School Musical trilogy."

"Had you not seen them before?" Emmy questioned.

"I wanted to be fresh when pitching the High School Musical 4 movie, so no, I hadn't technically seen the original films," Quinn answered.

"So she hadn't seen them?" Carlos inquired, completely lost.

"Quinn, these kids are unbelievably quick," Krystal said to Quinn. "I'm gonna be done teaching them the combination in, like, five minutes."

"Okay, great," Quinn responded. "Uh, well, let's just see if we can get Mack and Dani on set early. Where are the PAs? Do we have enough PAs?"

Mack then showed up out of absolutely nowhere, running to the stage. "Hey, um, I'm actually here early."

Violetta liked to hold grudges — it was kind of her thing. So she definitely didn't forget the way Mack spoke to her and Athena yesterday. Especially Athena — after all, nobody messed with Athena Blake in front of her. Violetta was good with confrontation. Although she had been getting better, Athena wasn't. Violetta shared a completely annoyed look with Athena before putting her hands on her hips, watching him with a deadpan expression.

"You weren't called for another two hours," Krystal stated.

"Yeah, but whenever I'm first on the call sheet, I always like to hang out on set, just in case somebody needs me," Mack explained. "A pretty famous actor taught me that. It was Neil Patrick Harris."

Violetta slowly clapped — she didn't know if that was supposed to impress her or not. "Wow, look at you."

Athena elbowed her quickly. "Remember, not worth it."

"Mack, feel free to hang out on the side," Krystal told him. "I'm gonna finish teaching the featured background this choreography, and then we'll add you and Dani."

"FYI, it might be a minute," Kourtney admitted. "Dani just posted that her corporate apartment doesn't have steam showers. Horrific, I know. So, she asked her followers to help pick out which hotel to stay at."

"Dani's lucky she's being housed," Quinn voiced. "When I shot Where Has All The Money Gone?, I spent eighteen days on a friend's couch in Bushwick. The couch got bed bugs. It caused a breakout on set. That was a movie."

"Miss Quinn, did your movie win any Oscars?" Emmy asked.

Violetta pursed her lips, averting her gaze to the floor. Emmy was so innocent, just asking a simple question, but it obviously struck a nerve. Quinn tensed up at it and whispered something to Krystal before walking off towards the side.

Krystal put her attention on Emmy. "I'm sorry, my dear, but you've been let go from the project."

Violetta wanted to go home.

"What?" Emmy let out.

"If it makes you feel any better, Quinn is famous for firing at least one actor per week on her films," Krystal revealed.

"Thank you, but it does not make me feel better."

"We've still got the school musical, Emmy," Ricky reminded her. "Turn that frown upside down."

Emmy walked backwards, reaching her arm out dramatically towards them. "Tell my story."

Violetta gave her a small wave, speaking over the others who were also saying goodbye. "Bye, Ems."

Kourtney pointed her phone at her, lifting her hand in the air. "Thoughts and prayers, love."

Krystal taught them the rest of the combination, which they got perfectly in a total of maybe five minutes, before releasing them on break so she could teach Mack his choreography. Violetta stood in the wings next to Athena, her arms crossed across her chest and her head tilted as she watched Mack

Krystal taught them the rest of the combination — which they managed to learn in less than five minutes — before sending them on break so she could teach Mack his choreography. Violetta stood in the wings next to Athena, her hands on her hips as she watched Mack and Krystal. He did seem to be struggling just a bit. She then heard giggling and turned to see Ricky had come over, obviously making Athena smitten.

They were cute, but disgustingly cute.

"You two are still as gross as ever," Violetta commented. "This whole movie thing is awful. I can't believe they fired Emmy like that."

Ricky shrugged in response. "Hollywood is unfair and devastating. It's the only explanation." He then elbowed his girlfriend. "But, hey, we still have time to be cast as Troy and Gabriella."

"Rathena as Troyella is my only wish in life," Violetta said. She send a pointed glare to Ricky. "Mess it up, and you're dead."

"What makes you think that I'm gonna mess it up?"

"Because Athena does no wrong."

"Okay—"

"Um, guys," Athena cut in.

Violetta followed her gaze, only to see Miss Jenn sneaking into the auditorium in glasses and a brown wig. "Oh my God."

The three of them went over to Miss Jenn quietly. Kourtney came over as well, holding her pink laptop.

"Hey, fellow teen extras," Miss Jenn voiced loudly. She lowered the glasses to the bridge of her nose. "It's me, Miss Jenn."

Ricky acted shocked. "That's crazy."

"Miss Jenn, are you okay?" Kourtney questioned.

"Quinn stole the auditorium from us, as you can see," Miss Jenn said. "So, I wanted to spread the word that we're doing auditions in the rehearsal room now. So, come quick."

"One problem," Athena replied. "The rehearsal's running way longer than we thought it would. By way longer, I mean all afternoon."

"Don't worry," Ricky reassured Miss Jenn, noticing the panic on her face. "I think I can sneak everyone out one at a time without the director even knowing."

"Well, we need all the bodies we can get," Miss Jenn insisted. "We're barely filling out the cast as it is. Apparently, most of the school signed up to be extras in the movie."

"About that . . ." Kourtney trailed off.

Miss Jenn turned to her, gasping. "Kourtney, don't tell me you're second-guessing the musical."

"I — I might be too busy. I'm applying to all the Ivys, my laptop might explode. It's a lot, y'all."

"Kourt, it's senior year," Violetta reminded her — they needed to do this. "Come on."

Ricky looked to Miss Jenn. "See you in the rehearsal room?"

"Sadly, yes," Miss Jenn agreed. "Hollywood is unfair and devastating."

"See? I keep saying that."

Violetta went up to Gina and Ashlyn, who were talking by the curtains, and told them about the plan while Ricky, Athena, and Kourtney told Carlos. From what she could hear, they were all good. All Violetta could do at this point was hope it would work.

"Excuse me?" Krystal called. "Featured background number eight?"

Violetta glanced down at her number for a moment to double check, and sure enough, she was eight. Oh, what now?

"Yes?" Violetta let out, her tone confused.

Krystal jutted her thumb backwards towards Mack, who was still in the middle of the stage. "Can you stand in for Dani for a moment?"

"Uh . . . sure."

She didn't want to agree. Oh God, why did she agree?

Violetta turned to Athena, her eyes wide. "Kill me. Murder me. I don't want to dance with him."

"No way, I'd miss you too much," Athena protested with a small laugh. She then grabbed Violetta's shoulders and spun her around. "It's going to be fine. Do what you do best — stand your ground."

Violetta, with a push from Athena, walked out onto the stage. She approached Mack, who gave her a tiny smile. All Violetta did was stare at him blankly before turning to Krystal, ready for instruction.

Stand your ground.

From the choreography she was learning, this dance was very intimate. Clearly, in the movie, Mack and Dani's characters were a couple, which definitely didn't surprise her. As much as Violetta hated to admit it, she did fall into a rhythm with Mack as they learned their choreography, although she didn't show it on her face. Krystal guided them through everything, which also helped. The combination was intricate, but simple yet again.

After a while of learning — with their combination being fully learnt — Violetta glanced back at the wings to see everybody but Ricky there. It was definitely her time. She asked Krystal for a quick break, and Krystal instructed her and Mack to take five before they would add the extras.

Five minutes was all she needed.

Violetta turned around and ran off the stage. She passed by Athena, who mouthed good luck. Violetta gave her a small smile before rushing out the auditorium doors into the hallway. She ran in the direction of the rehearsal room, her curls flying behind her. On the way, she passed by Ricky, who was evidently coming back from his audition. They high-fived as they crossed paths before Violetta ducked into the rehearsal room.

The platform in the room was set up as a small stage with a spotlight on it. Miss Jenn was sitting at a desk in front of her, waiting patiently for her, the last audition. Violetta hopped up onto the platform, catching her breath for a moment. Miss Jenn then pressed play for the backing soundtrack for Now or Never, their audition song.

"Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen minutes left, better get it done," Violetta sang. "Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen more minutes, get ready, game on! Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen minutes left, running out of time. Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen more minutes, it's on the line. Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen minutes left, gotta get it done. Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen more minutes till we're number one."

"Let's go team!" Miss Jenn yelled.

"Got to get it together, yeah, pull up and shoot, score! Are you ready, are you with me? Team, team, team, team, team, yeah. Shake them with the crossover, tell me what are we here for, 'cause we know that we're the best team."

"Come on boys, come on boys, come on!" Miss Jenn exclaimed.

"The way we play tonight is what we leave behind, it all comes down to right now, it's up to us," Violetta continued. "So what are we going to be? T-E-A-M team! Got to work it out, turn it on. This is the last time to get it right, this is the last chance to make it our night, we got to show what we're all about, work together. This is the last chance to make our mark, history will know who we are, this is the last game so make it count, it's now or never. W-I-L-D, Wildcats, you know you're on. W-I-L-D, Wildcats, come on, come on. The way we play tonight is what we leave behind, it all comes down to right now, it's up to us. So what are we going to be? T-E-A-M team! Got to work it out, turn it on. This is the last time to get it right, this is the last chance to make it our night, we got to show what we're all about, work together. This is the last chance to make our mark, history will know who we are, this is the last game so make it count, it's now or never, yeah."

Finally, the song ended. Miss Jenn nodded to her, a bright smile on her face. Violetta grinned back at her before getting off the platform and breaking into another sprint. She ran all the way back to the auditorium, where everybody was waiting. Violetta knew that she was definitely pushing the five minute mark, but it didn't matter. All of them had auditioned, and the combination was learned.

Krystal then had them run the combination again, this time with the featured backwards. Her and Mack moved as one with the others surrounding them, and although Violetta still didn't like him, she couldn't help the smile on her face as she danced. It had been a while since she did something like this. Mack then pulled her into him, and she spun around, lifting up her leg. He caught her right leg in his hand and held onto her waist with his left arm, Violetta's hands resting around his neck and on his chest as their foreheads leaned on each other.

Krystal clapped. "Yes! Featured background kids, great job today. You are released. Mack and Violetta, stand by."

Violetta caught Athena's eye. Athena winked at her, and Violetta rolled her eyes before turning back to Krystal. All Krystal really did was tell them a couple of notes, but other than that, their dance was practically perfect. Violetta smiled at that — she loved hearing that her dancing was good. Krystal then let them go, and she wandered off towards the wings.

Quinn stepped slightly in her way. "Hey, there."

Violetta stopped. "Uh . . . hi."

"The next time my leading lady is late for dance rehearsal, do me a favor and try not to take her place. Hollywood one-oh-one."

She raised an eyebrow — oh, absolutely not. "I was asked to fill in, so maybe next time, make sure your leading lady is on time." Violetta gave her a sarcastic smile. "Theater one-oh-one."

Quinn stared at her for a moment, her expression unreadable, before moving towards Krystal. Violetta's jaw clenched — she hated Hollywood.

Mack then came up to her. "Well, today was unexpected."

"Unexpected, as in you following me on Instagram?" Violetta inquired.

"Ooh, was it that obvious? Should've used my burner account."

Violetta tilted her head at him slightly. "What are you getting at, Mack?"

"Look, I'm used to fans chasing after me," Mack answered. "I'm not used to them standing up to me." His eyes flickered to Quinn. "And you can definitely stand up to people."

Violetta resisted the urge to grin and kept her face neutral. "I'm confrontational. And it's hilarious that you think I'm a fan."

Dani then cleared her throat. "Mack, baby, can I have a word?"

"Yeah," Mack agreed.

Dani put her hand on his shoulder and walked towards the wings. However, as she did so, she gave Violetta a fake smile, one that just screamed I won. Violetta's eyes narrowed at her dangerously, and she watched Dani's smile drop as she looked back towards Mack.

Yep. It was confirmed. She hated Hollywood.

∘ ₊ ✧ ──── ✧ ₊ ∘

LET'S GO VI WOOOOOOO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.7K 793 14
In which two heartbroken teenagers get together and make a plan to try and win back their exes. "Been wondering if your heart's still open ...
47.8K 1.5K 34
-𝐎𝐍 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐆𝐄 π‘Ž π‘Ÿπ‘–π‘π‘˜π‘¦ π‘π‘œπ‘€π‘’π‘› π‘ π‘‘π‘œπ‘Ÿπ‘¦ π‘ π‘’π‘π‘œπ‘›π‘‘ π‘π‘œπ‘œπ‘˜ π‘œπ‘› π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ 𝑗𝑒𝑙𝑖𝑒𝑑𝑑𝑒 π‘‘π‘’π‘β„Žπ‘Žπ‘šπ‘ π‘ π‘’π‘Ÿπ‘–π‘’π‘  𝐒𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐑𝐞𝐫...
181K 4.9K 30
"𝑻𝒆𝒍𝒍 π’Žπ’† π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• π’šπ’π’– π’˜π’‚π’π’• 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓 π‘Ίπ’π’Žπ’†π’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 π’˜π’Šπ’π’ π’π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰π’• 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 π‘Ίπ’Šπ’„π’Œ 𝒐𝒇 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒆...
178K 5.4K 82
━━━━ π†πŽπŽπƒ π†πˆπ‘π‹π’ 〝 so you're different, then? different than people presume you to be? γ€ž ...