Rebirth of a Star General

By AspiranteOne

The ancient saying goes: Most generals come from Guan Xi, while ministers come from Guan Dong. He Yan was bor... More

1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50
51-55
56-60
61-65
66-70
71-75
81-85
86-90
91-100
101-105
106-110
111-115
116-120
121-125
126-130
131-135
136-140
141-145
146-150

76-80

953 18 2
By AspiranteOne

Chapter 76

     He Yan held the Mandarin Duck Pot in a daze.

A voice pulled her thoughts back to the present. "You don't know how to use it?"

She raised her head. A young man in a dark blue robe had already sat down on the stool in front of her bed and taken the pot from her hands.

The Mandarin Duck Pot had a secret mechanism. One pot could hold two kinds of wine, and it was an essential tool for poisoning people. He tore off a piece of white cloth and poured out a little bit, then a little bit more. The first thing that flowed out was the medicinal juice, then the medicinal powder. There was a small spoon embedded next to the handle of the pot. Xiao Jue took the spoon and slowly spread the liquid evenly.

When he lowered his eyes to do this, his long eyelashes drooped down. The outline of his face was handsome, and there was a hint of youthful delicateness. It made people feel uneasy, and they didn't know whether they were in the Liang Province Guards or in the Xian Chang Guan thousands of li away.

While He Yan was in a daze, he had already finished applying the ointment on the white cloth and tossed it to He Yan. His tone was extremely cold. "Do it yourself."

"Oh." He Yan had already expected this. She muttered in a small voice, "I didn't expect you to help me."

He heard her and stared at He Yan with a half-smile. "I don't dare delay your chastity."

"It's good that you know." He Yan smiled. "But I still have to thank you, Governor, for giving me such precious medicine."

"There is a shortage of medicine in the Guard Station, unless you want to die," he said.

He Yan looked at him solemnly. "You saved my life. I didn't expect the Governor to be such a protective person."

Xiao Jue sneered. "I don't know what you're talking about." He stood up and left.

He Yan saw that he was really leaving this time. Only then did he lean against the headboard and sigh softly. Xiao Jue's medicine was very effective. It was cool and refreshing, and when he applied it, the pain lessened a lot.

He Yan looked at the pot, his thoughts drifting away.

On that snowy night when he was fourteen, Xiao Jue was not as cold as he was now. At least, when He Yan said "I don't know how to use it," he not only helped open the Mandarin Duck Pot, but also personally applied the medicine for her.

It was very strange. The scene at the time was already very blurry, but now that Xiao Jue was like this, the details that had been forgotten slowly unfolded in front of He Yan's eyes. It was as if it had just happened, unbelievably clear.

She sat on a stone bench in the courtyard. The usually lazy and indifferent young man was surprisingly patient as he applied medicine for her. His face was like a painting........... of his face.......................................... to...

.......................... to...

.. to................. to to the way................... He Yan was young at that time and had no resistance. He was defeated in an instant.

After applying the medicine, he left. He Yan whispered to him, "Your medicine."

"It's for you." The young man casually replied, "You're so stupid. You'll have a lot of chances to get hurt in the future. Keep it for yourself."

His words came true. Later on, she had countless chances to get hurt. The ointment in the Mandarin Duck Pot had long been used up, and the pot was later lost by her in a battle. Thinking about it, it was quite a pity.

The next day, the young men went to the school. They found that the copybooks on their desks were wet with water. The handwriting was unrecognizable. It was a mess.

"Who did it? Come out. I promise I won't beat him to death! "They roared fiercely.

"Isn't it simple? See whose copybook is clean. Look inside. We'll find the one who has a grudge against us. "Someone offered a brilliant idea.

He Yan's heart tightened. He was very annoyed. No wonder she said he was stupid. He didn't even think of this. Her copybook was clean and tidy. After a little inspection, wasn't it him?

Forget it. He had already done it. He was a real man. He dared to take responsibility for his actions. She steeled her heart and accepted her fate. She looked on helplessly as the young men asked the students in the school to take out their copybooks for inspection.

They were almost in front of her.

He Yan gathered his courage and was about to stand up and shout, "I did it." Suddenly, someone came in and slammed it on the table.

This movement was too loud. Everyone looked over and saw a handsome young man in a white robe leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. He had a lazy expression and said carelessly, "I did it."

There was an uproar.

"Brother, brother Huaijin, did you really do it?" Someone asked carefully.

Xiao Huaijin was not He Rufei. Who in the capital dared to provoke him? Xiao family could oppress people to death. Even the teacher had to protect him. The emperor had personally praised him.

"It was me." He answered righteously.

"But why?" That person asked with a sullen face.

"There's no reason." The young man glanced at him and answered indifferently, "My hand slipped."

"Pfft." He Yan couldn't hold back his laughter. Sensing everyone's gaze, he quickly turned around and acted as if nothing had happened.

What happened later?

Later, the matter was left unsettled. Because it was Xiao Huaijin, no one dared to say anything. They could only admit that they were unlucky.

"Creak." The door was pushed open. Shen Muxue walked in. She took the empty medicine bowl and water basin away. She told He Yan not to press on his wound before leaving.

From the narrow window in the room, she could see the sky in all four corners. A bright moon hung in the sky and the stars shone brightly.

She muttered in a low voice, "Today is Chinese Valentine's Day …"

She had never experienced such a festival. In the past, she dressed as a man. This kind of festival had nothing to do with her. Later, when she married Xu Zhiheng, at the very beginning, she also looked forward to it. No matter how much she dressed as a man, when she put on makeup, she only wanted to be like an ordinary girl. She wanted to go to the riverside with her sweetheart to release flower boats, worship the Immortal He, steam fruit, and go to the temple fair. She heard that there were fireflies on the mountain.

She gathered her courage and asked Xu Zhiheng for the first time. Xu Zhiheng smiled and agreed, "Okay."

But before Chinese Valentine's Day, she was blinded. As a result, this matter seemed to be forgotten. Xu Zhiheng didn't take the initiative to bring it up again. He Yan also didn't mention it. She thought that perhaps he was worried about her illness and didn't have the mood to talk about it. Until the next day, He Wanru passed by her door. She smiled and asked someone to put away the lantern Xu Zhiheng gave her the day before.

She just found out that on Chinese Valentine's Day, Xu Zhiheng wasn't at home. It wasn't because of official business, but because he accompanied He Wanru to the temple fair.

Life was full of different things. She didn't know how she was doing as a man, but she knew that as a woman, she was really terrible.

Just as she was thinking, Hong Shan came in from outside. He saw the mandarin duck pot in her hand and joked, "Oh, our commander-in-chief gave you a Chinese Valentine's Day gift! What kind of good wine is it? Let Big Brother have a taste! "

He Yan was stunned for a moment and suddenly laughed.

Thinking about it now, this Chinese Valentine's Day wasn't too bad. She rode a horse with the man in the dreams of countless Da Wei women. She touched his waist, rode his horse, walked through the mountain roads, saw the starry sky, and finally received a pot of spirit medicine for free.

She didn't waste her life.

Chapter 77

     Zheng Xuan and two new recruits were standing beside the practice field of the Liangzhou Guard. Seeing Xiao Jue approach, Shen Han hurried forward. "Commander in chief."

"I heard that the person was found?" Shen Han asked.

"Liang Ping is keeping an eye on him."

Shen Han sighed in relief. He Yan was currently under suspicion. If he suddenly disappeared, it might have been intentional. It was safer to keep suspicious people under one's nose.

However, since the person had been found, it was time to consider another matter.

"Zheng Xuan said that He Yan crossed the mountain by himself. Shen Hong said that He Yan crossed the mountain to save Zheng Xuan. Commander in chief, what do you think …" Shen Han asked.

Xiao Jue said, "Zheng Xuan is lying."

Shen Han paused.

"There are hoofprints on the mountain path. I also found traces of a wolf cub falling to its death," Xiao Jue said. "He Yan was indeed saving someone."

Shen Han's expression darkened. "If that's the case, Zheng Xuan and the others are not righteous." No matter how outstanding these new recruits were, once they entered the battlefield in the future, who knew if they would change sides at the last moment? Soldiers could die under the enemy's blade, but they could not die under the secret arrows of their comrades.

"However," Shen Han thought of another matter, "if He Yan's words are true, can she be cleared of suspicion?" If He Yan was someone who would disregard his own life for his comrades, perhaps he should change his view of her.

"No." Xiao Jue's cold voice answered him. "He killed a wolf with his bare hands in the pit on the mountain. This person cannot be underestimated. "He raised his eyebrows." I'm afraid he has secrets. "

Shen Han did not dare to say anything more. Although the Liangzhou Guard was thousands of li away from the capital, the situation was complicated. No one dared to lower their guard.

Shen Han looked at Zheng Xuan and the others. They were sitting far away. At this moment, their expressions were uneasy. Although Zheng Xuan tried his best to remain calm, he did not know that his lie had been exposed.

"Commander in chief, how do you plan to deal with these people?" Shen Han asked.

"They crossed the line and interfered with others. They have a sharp tongue and are unscrupulous." Xiao Jue's expression did not change. Her voice was calm. "For slandering the army, behead them."

Shen Han's heart trembled. He bowed his head and said, "Yes!"

When He Yan woke up the next day, the sun was already high in the sky. there was no one in the room. She sat up and stared blankly at the sunlight coming through the window.

.. He Yan asked....... He Yan asked curiously, "Miss......?" He Yan. was surprised. He asked.. "Miss?".. He asked........ He Yan asked.... He asked. asked..........

"This is today's medicine. Take it first." Shen Muxue placed the bowl of medicine on the small table in He Yan's room. "Yesterday, the governor gave you some medicine for external injuries. You can change it every six hours."

............................. disappeared..................... Why didn't they call me? "

"I told Liang Jiaotou that your body still needs to rest. It is not convenient for you to practice in the martial arts arena today." Shen Muxue replied.

He Yan responded and looked at Shen Muxue. This girl was only sixteen or seventeen years old. Her skin was like cream and she was extremely beautiful. The most important thing was that she had a tranquil and leisurely temperament that made people feel comfortable in their hearts. Probably because He Yan was looking at her, Shen Muxue frowned slightly. "Little brother, is there something wrong?"

"Nothing," He Yan said. "I just feel that Miss Shen looks familiar. I seem to have seen you somewhere before."

Shen Muxue was stunned for a moment. Then she shook her head and smiled. "I have never seen little brother before. I probably remembered wrongly."

"Okay." He Yan scratched his head. Shen Muxue saw that He Yan had finished drinking the medicine. She took the medicine bowl away and left the room.

He Yan did not know what to do. Fortunately, this kind of daze did not last long. Someone knocked on the door again.

"Who is it?" He Yan asked.

A careful voice sounded. "It's me."

He Yan was stunned. A head popped out from the door. It was Shen Hong.

He did not know where he came from. His face was very pale and his lips were purple. He was not as lively as he was when they first met. He limped in, not daring to look at He Yan's face. He walked to He Yan's bedside and said, "I'm sorry."

He Yan already knew the ins and outs of the matter from Hong Shan. He said, "It's okay. Didn't you tell them the truth?"

"But I … I almost …" Shen Hong's face was full of guilt.

He Yan could understand. Shen Hong had not experienced much before and was timid. She must have panicked after being threatened by Zheng Xuan. She said, "Am I not fine now?"

Shen Hong nodded her head silently.

"When you first came in, you walked a little strangely." He Yan asked, "What happened?"

"I … I violated a military order and was beaten 40 times." Shen Hong said, "In the future, I will be a squad leader. I will not go to the front line."

He Yan was silent. 40 times. No wonder Shen Hong's face was so pale. She was lucky that she did not die.

"What about the others?"

"Zheng Xuan and two others … were beheaded … in front of all the recruits …" Shen Hong said with a pale face.

He Yan was not surprised. When she was General Feihong, she had heard of General Fengyun's evil reputation. The discipline in the military was extremely strict. There was once a son of a high official who came to the Nan fu army to make a name for himself. But because he violated military discipline, he was ordered to be beheaded by the Xiao Jue. At the time, the high official did not let it go and reported it to the Emperor. In the end, the matter was left unsettled.

Other people might say that the Xiao Jue was cruel. But if it was not so, he would not be able to control the Nan fu army and would not have come to this step today.

"Actually, being a squad leader is not bad." He Yan patted his shoulder. "You have a gentle and kind personality. You do not dare to kill on the front line."

Shen Hong forced a smile. She took out a bunch of things from her pocket and stuffed them into He Yan's hand. He Yan looked down. It was a bunch of pine nuts.

"You are a good person." Shen Hong stammered. "I was too weak before. I let you down and almost caused you to lose your life. These pine nuts are for you. You … you eat them slowly. "

He stood up and limped out. As soon as he left, Hong Shan and the others came in and bumped into him. Shen Hong's face reddened and she left in a hurry. After he left, Hong Shan asked, "What did that kid come here for?"

"Probably to bring a bramble and ask for punishment." Xiao Mai said. "Eh, A He Ge, where did you get the pine nuts?"

He Yan put the pine nuts on the table. "If you want to eat, eat it yourself. Why did you guys come back so early? "

"The Chief Instructor said something today." Shi Tou opened his mouth. "We do not need to run with weights in the next few days."

"What is it?" He Yan was puzzled.

"We have already stayed in the Liang Province Guard for an entire summer." Hong Shan grabbed a few pine nuts and said as he peeled them. "The Chief Instructor said that he wants to select the best recruits to go to the Vanguard."

He Yan raised his eyebrows. According to the time, it was indeed about this time.

"He said that in about ten days, we will go to the mountains to fight for something. Fight for first place?"

"Fight for the flag." Shi Tou continued his words.

"Oh, right, right. Fight for the flag. Whoever wins the most will be first place and may be selected to go to the Vanguard. "Hong Shan said as he chewed on the pine nuts.

"A He Ge definitely won't have a problem." Xiao Mai rested her chin on her hand. "A He Ge is so powerful. He will definitely get in."

He Yan smiled and shook his head. If it was only the Vanguard, it was naturally nothing. However, if he wanted to enter Xiao Jue's Nine Flags Battalion, he was afraid that he would need to put in some effort.

This was really setting up an arena. Those who were capable would win.

Chapter 78

     For four or five days in a row, He Yan didn't go to the practice field to practice.

Actually, she didn't care about the injury on her leg, but the Liangzhou Guard's female doctor, Shen Muxue, came every day without fail to deliver medicine to her. She also repeatedly warned her not to do any strenuous activities. Hong Shan also jeered from the side, "Just listen to Doctor Nu. If you keep tormenting her, when the day of the battle for the flag comes and you can't get first place, you can't enter the Vanguard Battalion. Don't cry at that time."

He Yan thought about it and gave up. She wasn't in a hurry for a day or two.

However, these days, as long as she left the practice field, her room was basically full. There was an endless stream of people who came to see her. People often came to visit her. Today, Jiang Jiao sent several sour and astringent plums. Tomorrow, Huang Xiong brought a skewer of roasted quail. The most speechless was Wang Ba. He couldn't bring himself to come, so he had the new recruit in his room send half a gnawed dry bun. One look and you could tell it was a spoil of war he had plundered from someone else. He really did treat the barracks as his own mountain.

Liang Jiaotou came twice. Both times, he saw He Yan surrounded by people with a beaming face. He glanced at the mountain of food on her table and sourly said, "Oh, your life is pretty good." Then he left again. He Yan was also very helpless.

Just like this, by the time the scab on He Yan's elbow was almost completely healed and her leg could jump on the ground, seven or eight days had already passed. The day of the battle for the flag was getting closer and closer.

On this day, before the sun set, Hong Shan and the others came back. He Yan was astonished and asked: "It's not time to leave the practice field yet. Why did you all leave?"

"Today is the 14th of July, the Hungry Ghost Festival." Xiao Mai rushed to answer. "The head instructor told us to leave the practice field early. After eating, we went to the riverside to light water lanterns to worship our ancestors."

"The Liangzhou Guard is pretty good. They actually give people time to worship their ancestors and loved ones." Hong Shan sighed.

He Yan smiled, thinking that this was a tradition in the military camp. When she was in the Fuyue Army, every year during the Hungry Ghost Festival, the local government would set up a Taoist temple for the soldiers who died in battle. Now that the Liang Province Guards were backed by mountains and rivers, it was very convenient for them to release water lanterns.

"Big Brother and I are going to light up water lanterns for our parents." When Xiao Mai talked about her parents who had passed away, she didn't seem sad at all. She only seemed a little sad. Perhaps her parents had passed away too early, so her memory of them was very faint. She asked Hong Shan, "Brother Shan, are you going to pay your respects?"

"Go, my mother left early, I'll go light one for my mother."

Everyone looked at He Yan at the same time. "Is A He Ge going?"

Among them, He Yan's identity was probably the most mysterious. She didn't like to talk about her family's matters with Mai Mai and the others. Hong Shan only knew that He Yan's family had fallen into dire straits, and she had come to join the army because she had nowhere else to go. However, seeing her confident appearance on the martial arts field before, he felt that He Yan wasn't a child from an ordinary family.

"Me? I'll go too. "He Yan lowered her eyes and lowered her voice." I also have someone I want to worship. "

Xiao Mai and the others sensed that the atmosphere wasn't right. They didn't dare to pursue the matter and immediately changed the topic to something more relaxed.

After dinner, the sun had completely set and the moonlight seeped through the dark clouds. Almost all of the new recruits of the Liang Province Guards had come out.

The water lanterns had to be folded by themselves. The paper was piled up in a few large baskets in the practice field. He Yan also went to get one. She wasn't very good at handwork, so it was Xiao Mai who saw it and folded it into the shape of a lotus lantern for her. She then dripped a white candle into the center of the lotus lantern and handed it to He Yan. "It's done!"

"Thank you," He Yan praised. "You're really good with your hands."

Xiao Mai smiled embarrassedly. "In the past, during the Hungry Ghost Festival, Big Brother and I folded a lot of lanterns to sell. I'm used to folding them. If the paper was bigger, I'd be able to make a prettier and bigger one! "

Shi Tou knocked his head and said disapprovingly, "This isn't the time for you to show off."

Xiao Mai stuck out her tongue and ran towards the Wulu River with the water lantern in her hand. "I'll go light the lantern first. A He Ge, hurry up!"

After the beginning of autumn, the weather in Liang Province became cooler at night. It had rained in the morning, but the cool air had yet to dissipate. The dense forest on the mountain produced cool frost and dew. The moon was bright and the stars were sparse, illuminating the river.

The riverside was already crowded with people who came to pay respects to their ancestors. The flickering candlelight illuminated the entire river like thousands of silver flowers, reflecting the dancing flames. The fiery red lotus carried the thoughts of the people who came to pay respects and floated into the distance. It became a bright spot of light at the place where the water met the sky and gradually disappeared.

"It's fine here. A He Ge …" Xiao Mai turned around and was stunned. "Where's A He Ge?"

Hong Shan and Shi Tou looked at each other. "I don't know. He was just here."

He Yan sat on Shi Tou in the innermost part of the riverside. It was not the most open place, so not many people would light the lantern here. He Yan silently looked at the lotus lantern in her hand. The bitterness in her heart was indescribable.

Suddenly, she remembered the moment before He Wanru drowned her in the water. She said to her, "You're pregnant."

At that moment, she was actually more happy than confused.

However, this happiness didn't last long. She and her unborn child were drowned in the Xu family's pond together.

He Yan always felt that she had never wronged anyone in her previous life. She had done everything she could to the He family, to He Rufei, and to Xu Zhiheng. However, the only thing she felt guilty about was the flesh and blood in her belly. She had given him life, but before she could bring him into the world, she had killed this possibility because of herself. Perhaps when she was a general, too many people had died at her hands. She had killed countless people, so the heavens punished her like this. However, it was right to punish herself. Why did she have to punish an innocent child? She didn't even know if the child in her belly was a little girl or a little boy before it died prematurely.

He Yan took out a match. The spark from the match splashed on the candle and lit it up in an instant. The water lantern slowly bloomed in her hand. The light from the flame was reflected in her eyes, forming a small flame. It seemed that tears were about to fall from her eyes, but they quickly blurred.

"I'm sorry," she said in a low and sad voice. "You and I are not fated to be together in this life. If there is an afterlife, you must be reincarnated into a good family. You must live a happy and worry-free life. Don't ever meet me again."

"I will also …" She put the water lantern into the river. "I will avenge you."

The murmuring river gently wrapped around the small water lantern and moved forward. He Yan stared at it. It floated until it merged with countless light spots. She couldn't tell who was who. Then she looked away and rubbed her eyes.

"He Dage, I didn't think you would be here!" An excited voice sounded behind her. "What a coincidence. You also came to release water lanterns!"

He Yan turned around and saw a young man with rosy lips and white teeth. He was holding a lantern in his arms and happily walking towards her. It was Cheng Li Su.

His clothes were neat and new. When he walked to He Yan's side, he carefully lifted the corner of his robe, afraid that the river water would splash it. He gave He Yan a large handful of water lanterns.

He Yan asked, "… Are you going to release water lanterns?"

"Yes!"

"Why are there so many?" He Yan was speechless.

"I originally didn't have so many to release. I don't know the ancestors of my Cheng family. However, I think my uncle won't be coming today. I will release some in his place. This is my maternal aunt's, this is my maternal uncle's, this is my … "

He counted them one by one. There wasn't the slightest bit of sadness on his face. He was so happy that people would mistakenly think that he was releasing lanterns instead of Zhongyuan water lanterns.

"Wait a minute," He Yan interrupted him. "Why are you releasing them in your uncle's place? Can't he come himself? "

"There are so many people. He won't come." Cheng Li Su sighed. He looked as if his heart was broken. He shook his head and said, "I'll do it. Who told him to be my uncle?"

He Yan found it funny. The pain from the past had been diluted quite a bit. Although Cheng Li Su's brain seemed to be a little less than normal people's, he was still very serious about releasing water lanterns. He lit the water lanterns in his hands one by one and solemnly released them into the river. He was extremely nervous and prayed that they wouldn't be blown out by the wind or knocked over by the waves. Fortunately, everything went smoothly. The water lanterns gradually floated into the distance.

After releasing the last lantern, Cheng Li Su released a breath. He took out a piece of coarse cloth and placed it on the Shi Tou. Only then did he sit on it.

"The Liang Province Guard is quite cool at night," he muttered. "It was so hot a few days ago. I've never experienced such a hot summer in my life."

He Yan laughed in spite of himself. Cheng Li Su used to live in Shuo Jing. During the summer, the Cheng family would have ice cubes to cool off the heat. He stayed in the fu all day without the sun. Of course, it wasn't as bad as the Liang Province Guard. She said, "If that's the case, why did you come with your uncle to Liang Province to suffer?"

"I had no choice," Cheng Li Su spread his hands. "If I didn't come with my uncle, I would have been engaged."

He Yan paused. "What?"

"I'll tell you a secret. I ran away from the engagement." Cheng Li Su curled his lips. "I'm still young. How could I be engaged? Besides, I don't like her, so I ran away. "

He Yan: "… …" This child really was straightforward. However, He Yan was even more surprised that Xiao Jue had agreed to bring Cheng Li Su along. He wasn't afraid that the Cheng family would be dissatisfied with him. After all, he had secretly abducted their young master and even helped the young master escape from the engagement. Even if they were relatives, he was afraid that there would be animosity in their hearts.

"Your relationship with Military Governor Xiao is quite good," He Yan said, choosing his words carefully.

"It's alright," Cheng Li Su was extremely proud. "I was the one who took the initiative to pester him."

He Yan felt that it was inconceivable. "Your uncle's personality is so terrible. You actually took the initiative to get close to him?" Amazing, amazing. Who said that Cheng Li Su was a "good-for-nothing prince"? Not everyone could endure such humiliation.

"My uncle is very powerful. If it wasn't for him when I was young, I might not be where I am now."

Perhaps it was because of the beautiful moonlight tonight, Cheng Li Su was actually very excited when he talked about the past.

Cheng Li Su's mother, Madam Cheng, was actually about the same age as Xiao Jue's mother. Therefore, when Xiao Jue was born, Madam Cheng was already married. Although Cheng Li Su and Xiao Jue were different in terms of seniority, the age difference wasn't that big.

Although the Cheng family and Xiao family didn't interact frequently, they were definitely not cold. However, when Cheng Li Su was young, he actually didn't see Xiao Jue much. Most of the time, he spent more time with Eldest Uncle Xiao Jing. Xiao Zhongwu had two sons. Eldest Young Master Xiao, Xiao Jing, had a weak body when he was young, so it wasn't suitable for him to practice martial arts. After he recovered, he was already past the best age to practice martial arts. Madam Xiao also didn't want Xiao Jing to join the military, so Xiao Jing took the path of a civil official.

After Xiao Jue was born, Xiao Zhongwu paid special attention to this son.

Xiao Jue didn't disappoint Xiao Zhongwu's expectations. When he was young, he already showed his talent. Xiao Zhongwu brought Xiao Jue to the mountains, where he was personally taught by four masters. As for which mountain, and who these masters were, Cheng Li Su didn't know. In any case, he would only see him once a year. Sometimes, he wouldn't even see him once.

When Xiao Jue turned 14, he went down the mountain and returned to Shuo Jing. He entered the Xianchang School and studied martial arts with the nobles of Shuo Jing. That year, Cheng Li Su was nine years old. When he went out to play with his good friends during the Mid-Autumn Festival, he was kidnapped. At his age, it was reasonable to say that he was too old to be kidnapped. However, he was born with a delicate face, like a silver doll in a New Year's painting. The kidnappers took him out of the city. Cheng Li Su cried for help, but no one answered. He hid in the carriage and shivered.

When he woke up, he cried. With tears in his eyes, he ate something and went back to sleep. He didn't know how long he slept, but the sound of fighting came from outside the carriage. Cheng Li Su's nose was bruised and his face was swollen. Just as he was crying for help, the carriage stopped.

He hurriedly opened the curtain of the carriage and climbed out. He saw that the ground was covered with corpses, all of them had their throats slit with a sword. It wasn't just one kidnapper who kidnapped him. There were dozens of kidnappers. The kidnapped children were all tied up and stuffed into the carriage. At this moment, some of them fell out, while others were still in the carriage. A group of people cried incessantly. In the chaos, Cheng Li Su trembled as he climbed out. Then, he touched the corner of a snow-white robe.

He looked up and saw a handsome young man with a silver crown and white robe standing in front of him. He held a long sword. The sword was like frost and snow, dripping with blood. The blood was bright and beautiful, but it was not as red as the young man's lips. His expression was calm as his gaze fell on Cheng Li Su.

This was a very fierce picture, but Cheng Li Su felt inexplicably at ease. He trembled as he hugged the young man's leg. He imitated his mother's tone and flattered, "May, may I ask your name, where do you live? I am the young master of the Right Minister's residence. You saved me. Our residence will reward you handsomely."

The young man's mouth twitched. He looked down at Cheng Li Su with a pair of clear eyes. He said coldly, "I am your Jiujiu."

"Only then did I know that he was the Jiujiu that I had never seen before." Cheng Li Su rested his chin on his hand and looked at the moon. "At that time, I thought, this Jiujiu is really amazing."

Xiao Jue had saved him, as well as the other children who had been abducted. Cheng Li Su felt honored to have such an Jiujiu. He wanted to stick to him. However, Xiao Jue did not like this nephew very much. After sending him back to the Cheng Family, he never came to see him again. Cheng Li Su sent him an invitation to be a guest at the residence, but Xiao Jue did not come even once. Moreover, Xiao Jue was very busy. When Cheng Li Su saw Xiao Jue, he rarely saw him.

He Yan thought of the scene Cheng Li Su described and wanted to laugh. Thinking about it, Xiao Jue really had no choice but to have such a nephew.

"Then how did the two of you become close?" He Yan asked.

If it was just a life-saving grace, then as Cheng Li Su said, it did not change their relationship much. Then something must have happened later for the uncle and nephew to come to the Liang Province Guard together.

"Actually, the Cheng Family, including my mother, and the relatives and friends who know the Xiao family, do not like Jiujiu." Cheng Li Su said, "They like Eldest Jiujiu more."

The two young masters of the Xiao family were both born to Da Wei. The eldest son of the Xiao family, Xiao Jing, was also born with good looks. He was like a jade, modest and bright. In terms of temperament, it was definitely more comfortable to get along with Xiao Jing. However, it was not to the extent that they did not like Xiao Jue.

"Why?" He Yan asked. "Didn't Military Governor Xiao save your life? Even if he was your savior, your mother would not dislike him."

"That is true, but Jiujiu does not see our relatives often enough. We don't know him well."

Before Xiao Jue was fourteen, he was rarely in Shuo Jing. After that, he entered the Xianchang Mansion. Not to mention relatives and friends, even Madam Xiao was not close to this son. Cheng Li Su knew that there were a few times when Madam Xiao was talking to her mother. She was worried about how to get along with her son.

Since she did not know him well, she naturally had a lot of prejudice. Xiao Jue was originally lazy and did not like to interact with others. Compared to his warm and bright brother, the contrast was even more obvious. However, as He Yan said, it was not that she did not like him. The real dislike was after Xiao Zhongwu died in the Battle of Mingshui.

Xiao Zhongwu's death came suddenly and was a huge blow to the Xiao family. Madam Xiao had never experienced any hardships and treated her husband as her everything. After Xiao Zhongwu's death, Madam Xiao took advantage of the fact that no one was paying attention and hanged herself. She followed her husband and left with only two sons.

The two young masters of the Xiao family, Xiao Jue and Xiao Jing, were heartbroken. Xiao Jue did not shed a single tear. After the general and his wife were buried, the first thing Xiao Jue did was to go to the throne room to make a statement. He wanted to take control of the Nan Fu Army.

Before the seventh day of Madam Xiao's death, he led the Nan Fu Army to quell the chaos of the Southern Barbarians. That day, Xiao Zhongwu died in the Battle of the Southern Barbarians. Some people said that he was avenging his father, while others said that he was eager for quick success. Whether it was his father's death or his mother's death, Xiao Jue did not show excessive sadness. Thus, the symbol of coldness and ruthlessness and a heart as hard as iron was imprinted on him.

Without the noble Second Young Master Xiao in the capital, others could only find out about Xiao Jue's recent situation from the few words that came back from the battlefield. It was rumored that he was a killer at a young age. Countless people had died under his sword. He was also strict and did not care about human feelings.

"Have you heard of Zhao Nuo?" Cheng Li Su asked.

He Yan faintly felt that the name was familiar, but he did not know where he had heard it before. He shook his head and said, "I don't know."

"Zhao Nuo is the eldest son of the current Minister of Revenue. He was once the Jiedushi of Jingzhou." When Cheng Li Su said this, her expression dimmed. "In fact, the misunderstanding between the Cheng family and the Xiao family towards Uncle was caused by this person."

Chapter 79

     That year, Xiao Jue led the Nan Fu Army to Jingzhou. Although people knew that Second Young Master Xiao was talented in both the pen and the sword, he was still young and could not take on such an important task. Zhao Nuo was the military governor of Jingzhou. He was lustful, greedy, and ignorant. When Xiao Jue first arrived in Jingzhou, he did not take Xiao Jue seriously. He often joked around and was very rude. In the battle of Jingzhou, Xiao Jue led the army to the battlefield. Zhao Nuo was afraid of death and gave wrong orders, causing many innocent soldiers to die. Xiao Jue saw that he was so arrogant and ordered people to tie him up and take him away.

Zhao Nuo's father was the Minister of War and he had been in Jingzhou for many years. Naturally, there were many people who came to plead for him. There were many high-ranking officials and nobles who came to persuade him. However, Xiao Jue was young and had no relatives.

"He is the military governor of Jingzhou and his father is the Minister of Revenue. Many people in the court have good relations with the Zhao family. If you offend him, you will not be able to do anything in the future!"

Xiao Jue was not moved. He only smiled contemptuously and said, "Just the Minister of War is so arrogant. Even if he becomes the Prime Minister, I will still execute him."

Three days later, Xiao Jue led the army to surround Zhao Nuo's residence. He pushed Zhao Nuo to the tombstone of the dead soldiers and beheaded him.

"The Zhao family and the Xiao family were actually related to the Cheng family." Cheng Li Su recalled, "That Zhao Nuo, logically speaking, should be related to us. My mother personally wrote a letter to ask Uncle to be lenient. "

"But Uncle did not listen." He smiled. He looked a little helpless and a little proud.

"Military Governor Xiao's actions, isn't he afraid that someone will try to sow discord in front of His Majesty?" He Yan thought, "His Majesty will also be dissatisfied."

"As expected of my brother, he asked the same question as me." Cheng Li Su said happily, "I also think that Uncle's actions are too rash."

After a long time had passed, that young man had put away his flirtatious ways and became introverted and steady. He became the high and mighty commander-in-chief of the Right Army. Cheng Li asked, "Uncle, aren't you afraid that His Majesty will be estranged from you because of this?"

The young man was reading a book. Hearing this, he smiled and said, "He wouldn't dare."

The emperor didn't dare, but it wasn't that the courtiers weren't afraid.

In reality, this was indeed the case. Even though the powerful officials in the imperial court spoke ill of him, and the Minister of Revenue wrote one memorial after another to the throne room asking for punishment, in the end, the matter was left unsettled. It was because Xiao Jue had led the Southern Mansion Army and defeated the Southern Barbarians like a hot knife through butter.

Emperor Xuanwen was not blind. He knew how to choose between a dead provincial governor and a one-in-a-million talent.

However, Emperor Wen Xuan did not dare to punish Xiao Jue, but that did not mean that there would not be any rumors. The Minister of Revenue, Zhao Tong, and Xiao Jue became enemies. Those who were on good terms with Zhao Tong naturally did not want to see Xiao Jue doing well. Those who were on good terms with the Xiao family also distanced themselves from Xiao Jue.

Firstly, his personality was cold and strict. He could even order his own relatives to be beheaded without mercy. Secondly, he was arrogant and did not even care about the emperor. It was inevitable that he would offend others in the future. One day, he might even implicate his friends and family.

The Cheng family and the Xiao family were close relatives, so they didn't break off contact. However, compared to Xiao Jue, they preferred to interact with Xiao Jing.

"My mother told me not to get too close to Little Uncle," Cheng Li Su said, "She said that he doesn't care about family ties."

He Yan thought for a moment, "Military Governor Xiao is not that kind of person."

"I know," Cheng Li Su smiled, "I always knew."

The Xiao family had two young masters. The eldest young master was calm and gentle. When they interacted with each other, it was like a spring breeze. He was friendly and warm-hearted. Everyone loved him. The second young master's appearance was outstanding. However, for the sake of fairness, his personality was not very likable.

Furthermore, after killing Zhao Nuo, Xiao Jue's reputation as "Jade-faced Military Governor, Young Killer" spread. Others did not dare to look up to him. Of course, Zhao Tong added fuel to the fire. However, Xiao Jue himself also left behind many rumors. For example, when his parents were buried, he did not shed a single tear. He was busy fighting for military power in the throne room. He did not even spend the seventh day of the funeral, leaving Eldest Young Master Xiao to clean up the mess by himself.

Every time the relatives gathered together during festivals, he did not like to talk to them. He only hurriedly left after meeting them.

Cheng Li Su still remembered that it was a summer day. Eldest Aunt Bai Rongwei was hosting the relatives of the Cheng family. The Xiao family did not have many people nowadays. It was rare for it to be so lively.

Cheng Li Su also went. At that time, Xiao Jue had already been bestowed the title of General Fengyun. He had just turned 18 and returned to Shuo Jing.

The women were all eating snacks and drinking tea in the main room. The men were discussing politics with Xiao Jing. Cheng Li Su looked around and did not see Xiao Jue.

He was very naughty when he was young. Everyone around his age did not like to play with him. Cheng Li Su looked for fun. He ran to the Xiao family's backyard and saw a cat with a colorful face. He chased after the cat and ran behind a screen inside the ancestral hall.

It was summer and the weather changed quickly. In the evening, there were already dark clouds above the city walls. Thunder rumbled and suddenly, heavy rain poured down.

He held the cat in his arms and wanted to go out. Suddenly, he heard footsteps. Someone came in.

Cheng Li Su secretly poked his head out from behind the screen and saw his mysterious uncle walk in.

The young man was wearing a round satin robe with a golden crown on his head. He had a graceful appearance and was like a glittering jewel. When he was young, he liked to wear white robes. Now that he was older, he only liked to wear dark clothes. It made him seem even colder and harder to understand.

Xiao Jue walked into the ancestral hall. He picked up three incense sticks and lit them.

Cheng Li Su's eyes widened.

There were all kinds of rumors about Xiao Jue. Cheng Li Su heard that Xiao Jue never lit incense for his parents. He was a heartless person. But now, it seemed that the rumors were not completely true.

He moved slowly but carefully. First, he dusted the incense burner and wiped it clean with a cloth. Then, he lit the incense sticks and inserted them into the burner. Niao Niao smoke rose from the burner and dispersed in the air. He did not leave. He did not say anything. He just stood there with his eyes lowered. No one knew what he was thinking.

The summer weather was hot and humid. Water vapor came in from the outside. It was sticky and the thunder was louder. The young man narrowed his eyes. His expression was calm. The rain outside washed the eaves, but inside the house, it was unbelievably quiet. Cheng Li didn't understand what was going on, but he felt that the atmosphere was strange. He didn't even dare to breathe loudly. He hugged the cat and sat behind the screen with his cold uncle for more than an hour.

After a long time, the rain stopped. Xiao Jue left the ancestral hall.

From the time he entered the ancestral hall to the time he left, he only lit three incense sticks. He did not say anything and did nothing. He just sat there quietly. But these three incense sticks made Cheng Li Su feel that under his uncle's cold appearance, there was a different gentleness.

He was not the heartless person that others said he was.

There were many people in the world who hid their true feelings under their cold appearance. It was not that there were no such people, but they were not good at expressing themselves.

Others always said that Cheng Li Su was still like a child, naive and ignorant. However, in the eyes of a child, he was able to distinguish between good and evil. He did not think that this uncle of his was as mean as his mother said. He liked this uncle more than Eldest Young Master Xiao.

"My uncle is very powerful." Cheng Li Su looked seriously into her eyes and said, "If you stay with him for a long time, you will also like him."

He Yan laughed and couldn't help but rub his head, "I know. I knew it a long time ago."

Thousands of miles away in Shuo Jing, the Spring River was also full of sparks.

The water lanterns reflected on the water and under the water. It was impossible to tell the difference between heaven and earth. Today, it was drizzling. Above the water lanterns, there was a small paper cover to prevent them from being extinguished by the rain.

In the ancestral hall of the Xiao fu, someone was burning incense.

Ever since Xiao Zhongwu and his wife had passed away, the number of servants in the general's fu had decreased greatly. There were only two young masters, and Xiao Jue was often away from the fu. In the end, it was only Xiao Jing and his wife who did not need so many servants. Normally, it was quiet, but when he looked at it occasionally, it was a little cold and cheerless.

Xiao Jing wore a jade-colored robe. He was as tall and warm as bamboo. When he stood next to Bai Rongwei beside him, anyone would praise them as an immortal couple. Niao Niao, the autumn rain continued outside. A cool wind blew. He took off his cloak and covered Bai Rongwei with it. In a warm voice, he said, "The weather is cold. Be careful not to catch a cold."

"I'm not cold." Bai Rongwei smiled at him and said worriedly, "I wonder what the weather is like in Liangzhou."

"Tonight is the Hungry Ghost Festival." Xiao Jing looked at the drizzle in the courtyard and said, "If Huaijin was here, it would be good."

"He won't come to the ancestral hall." Bai Rongwei shook her head. "He won't enter the ancestral hall."

"He will enter." Xiao Jing's answer was very certain.

Bai Rongwei looked at him with surprise. "But I've never seen him before …"

"It's raining today, and there's thunder." Xiao Jing smiled. "He will enter."

"Rubi, I don't understand." Bai Rongwei did not understand.

"When Huai Jin was very young, he was brought to the mountains by his father and was taught by an expert." Xiao Jing held her hand and said softly, "Throughout the year, we only see him a few times. He has a proud personality. Mother does not like him to play with knives and sticks. In reality, the relationship between Huaijin and Mother has never been good. "

Madame Xiao was the Empress Dowager's niece. That year, it was the Empress Dowager who had bestowed this marriage. Xiao Zhongwu was handsome and powerful, and Madame Xiao liked him very much. But after the marriage, the conflict between the two gradually came to light. Madame Xiao was a delicate flower that grew up in the house. She could not bear the slightest grievance. Xiao Zhongwu was after all a military officer. He was not as attentive as the son of an aristocratic family. Although he had never taken a wife, sometimes it made Madame Xiao unhappy.

During the years when the two of them quarreled most fiercely, it was because of Xiao Jue.

Madame Xiao did not want her two sons to become martial artists. Swords and arrows had no eyes on the battlefield. She herself did not like killing and was a gentle and kind Buddhist. At that time, Xiao Jing missed the best opportunity to practice martial arts because of his health. He had no other choice. Xiao Jue, on the other hand, had been regarded as the future successor by Xiao Zhongwu since young.

Madame Xiao did not want her son to follow in Xiao Zhongwu's footsteps. But for the first time, Xiao Zhongwu, who had always been obedient to Madame Xiao, did not listen to his wife's advice.

The son had been separated from his mother for too long. Although they were related by blood, they were still unfamiliar with each other. Moreover, Xiao Jue was not as obedient and gentle as Xiao Jing when she was young. Sometimes, she would even show a rebellious side. Facing this cold and arrogant son, Madame Xiao did not know how to get along with him.

Madame Xiao tried to be friendly with Xiao Jue, but Xiao Jue's reaction was also indifferent. Madame Xiao liked to drink tea and discuss poetry, but Xiao Jue liked to practice swordsmanship and ride horses. Although Xiao Jue was also good at poetry, the one who accompanied Madame Xiao in the end was Xiao Jing.

"My mother told me in private that she was actually a little afraid of Huaijin." Xiao Jing said, seemingly amused. "After that, she did not deliberately talk to Huaijin. The two of them were always very polite to each other."

"Huaijin was actually very pitiful." Xiao Jing's smile became sad.

"My father was cold and hard. He did not tolerate Huaijin at all. I only found out later that he suffered a lot on the mountain. If he did not tell us, we all thought that he was living a good life. If it were me, I probably would not have been able to hold on for long. "He laughed self-deprecatingly.

Bai Rong patted his hand comfortingly. "Nonsense. You can do well too."

Xiao Jing recalled the year when Xiao Jue came down from the mountain. He asked his younger brother, "How was it on the mountain?"

The youth stretched lazily and smiled lightly. "Not bad."

The three words "not bad" hid all the hardships he had suffered. All that was left was a high-spirited Second Young Master Xiao.

"Others say that a strict father and a loving mother. My father was strict with him, but my mother was not always by his side. When she finally came back, she was overly polite because she was afraid of him. My mother thought that he liked sweets, so she often made osmanthus sweets for him. Huaijin would always eat it clean. Even I was fooled. Later, his close followers said that Huaijin did not eat sweets. "

"Because this was the only way my mother could express her love for him, he ate it. Even if he did not like it, even if no one asked him what he liked to eat."

Bai Rong sighed slightly and did not say anything.

"Although I was his elder brother, I did not seem to have helped him much. Others always said that he was heartless and that he was not as good as me. However, they do not know that the reason why I can be the honorable Eldest Young Master Xiao today is because he bore a lot of burden for me. I know this, and he knows it too. " He smiled bitterly. "Now, I regret that my father did not let me join the military. If I did not become a civil official, perhaps I would be the one to bear the burden of the Xiao family today. Huaijin does not need to be misunderstood by others. "

"We all know that Huaijin is doing this for you." Bai Rong said softly, "Father and Mother will know too."

Xiao Jing looked at the memorial tablet in the ancestral hall. He said, "When Huaijin was young, he was not close to Mother. He would go out every two or three days. In fact, he cared about Mother."

"My mother was timid and easily frightened. She was most afraid of thunder. Every time there was thunder, if Huaijin was at home, he would find an excuse to go to Mother's room to sit. Every time Mother saw Huaijin, she would think about how to get along with Huaijin and forget about the thunder. When the rain stopped, Huaijin would leave. "

"At first, I did not understand. One time, there was thunder and rain. I was outside with him, but he suddenly said that he had something important to do and had to return home. When he returned home, he said that he wanted to eat osmanthus candy. Mother was busy cooking for him. I suddenly understood that Huaijin was just afraid that Mother would be frightened by the thunder, so he deliberately found an excuse to come back. "

Bai Rong heard this and also laughed. She shook her head and said, "Huaijin is really …"

"Unfortunately, Mother did not know Huaijin's feelings for her until she died," Xiao Jing said bitterly. "If she had known, perhaps she would not have ended up like this today."

Bai Rong Wei held his hand tightly. "Mother's spirit in heaven will understand."

"He accompanied Mother when she was alive and after she died. As long as he was at home, whenever there was thunder and rain, he would come to the ancestral hall to accompany Mother. " Xiao Jing smiled slightly. "This is a secret. I did not tell anyone. I think that Huaijin also did not want anyone to know."

Xiao Jue was too proud. He did these things like the spring rain, silently moistening things. He did not ask for any results. But in the end, if one thought about it seriously, he felt that he was the one who was owed the most.

"So you said that if he was in Shuojing today, he would also come to the ancestral hall to accompany Mother." Bai Rong Wei understood.

"He is that kind of person." Xiao Jing smiled.

The smoke in the incense burner floated into the air and slowly dissipated without a trace. The people of the past had become the past. The unspoken care and companionship would no longer have a chance to be explained.

"Rubi, you have to know," Bai Rong Wei pulled Xiao Jing's hand and said gently, "Huaijin did these things to protect Xiao family. Right now, Huaijin is far away in Liangzhou. Prime Minister Xu's faction still sees Xiao family as a thorn in their side. You have to be more alert and not let Huaijin's efforts go to waste. "

Xiao Jing stilled slightly and then smiled. He said, "Of course I know."

"I know that you care about Huaijin." Bai Rong Wei's voice softened. "But I also care about you. Huaijin has taken on many responsibilities, but are you not the same? Prime Minister Xu is secretly suppressing Xiao family and finding fault with you. You are careful at every step in court. How can you be relaxed? "

"You don't have to worry." Xiao Jing smiled. "The most difficult time has passed."

Bai Rong stilled for a moment and then smiled. "You are right."

The rain did not stop. The courtyard in Shuojing was soaked. Thousands of li away in Liangzhou, there was someone leaning on the window in a daze. His fine black hair fell on his shoulders, smooth and cold like silk. His expression was indifferent. The sound of a flute came from the distance. Someone was playing a tune from his hometown. As he listened, he softly smiled.

This smile contained a bit of self-mockery and loneliness. After a moment, he closed the window and isolated the night outside.

The light in the room flickered slowly, reflecting his starry eyes. On the table was a long wooden tray. Scattered rice grains were piled on the tray. The rice grains were different and small flags made of red cloth were inserted.

Shen Han, Liang Ping, and the other instructors were all in the room. They surrounded the table and stared at Xiao Jue's movements.

"Governor, these are the places to put the flags? Isn't there too many? "

"Not too many." The youth's figure was like jade. He held a chess piece and pointed at the red flag at the top. "In seven days, the flag battle will take place on Mount Baiyue."

Chapter 80

     Seven days was enough time for He Yan's leg to fully recover. Although the injury on his hand was not completely healed, as long as he did not practice with his bow or spear, it would not hinder his daily activities.

During these seven days of waiting, the day of the battle for the flag finally arrived.

Liang Ping came to visit He Yan the night before the battle for the flag and asked He Yan how he was doing. He Yan was afraid that he would not be allowed to participate in the battle for the flag, so he hurriedly said, "Very good, very good, very good. Liang Jiaotou, do you want to exchange a few moves with me? "

Liang Ping thought of the equestrian archery competition he had with He Yan and felt embarrassed. He immediately coughed lightly and said, "No need, as long as you are fine. Come up the mountain with us tomorrow."

After he left, He Yan almost cheered out loud.

Hong Shan smiled and said, "You finally got what you wanted."

"I don't know what the battle for the flag is like." Xiao Mai looked at He Yan and pleaded, "After A He Ge goes down the mountain, you must tell us word by word."

"Isn't your brother going up the mountain as well? Why are you only asking A He? "Hong Shan said.

"My brother won't tell us." Xiao Mai curled her lips.

There were tens of thousands of new recruits in the Liangzhou Guard. Of course, not all of them would go up the mountain to compete for the flag. Moreover, they were selecting for the Vanguard Battalion, so they only selected those who performed exceptionally well on the training field. Xiao Mai and Hong Shan could only be considered average and were not part of the battle for the flag. In their room, only Shi Tou and He Yan were selected to go up the mountain.

"The injury on your hand is not completely healed." Hong Shan was worried for He Yan. "When the time comes, don't fight recklessly. If you can't beat them, run, understand? The entire Liangzhou Guard knows that you are strong, so it doesn't matter who wins or loses. "

"A He Ge will be at a disadvantage like this." Xiao Mai felt indignant. "If A He Ge wasn't injured, A He Ge would definitely be first."

"It's okay." He Yan comforted her. "Even if I'm injured, I'll still be the first."

When the others in the room heard this, they all laughed.

"It's here again! Our Arena Master He is going to set up an arena on the mountain again. Does anyone want to bet on biscuits? "

"Bet my ass! I haven't even paid back what I lost last time!"

He Yan's heart relaxed a little amidst the clamor. In fact, she hadn't "competed for the flag" in a long time, and her memories of the last time weren't too good. She wasn't the one who performed the most brilliantly, so no one knew what the result would be this time.

However, compared to the results of the battle for the flag, the most important thing was their performance during the battle for the flag. If they wanted to join the Nine Flags Battalion, they wouldn't just be looking at the results of this test. Presumably, all the instructors were hiding in the dark on Mount Baiyue and had a panoramic view of their performance. The person who performed the best might have the chance to enter the Nine Flags Battalion.

Therefore, rather than calling this a competition, it would be better to call it a performance. From beginning to end, there was only one person in the audience, and that was Second Young Master Xiao. She had to put in a hundred and twenty percent effort and make every step beautiful and thoughtful in order to win Xiao Jue's favor.

She should be able to do it.

Outside the Guard Institute, Shen Han cupped his hands in greeting to Xiao Jue. "Commander in chief, everything is ready."

Green Ears kicked a few times to the side. Xiao Jue stroked its head and said, "Let's go."

Shen Han nodded. Suddenly, he remembered something. "About Young Master Cheng …"

"I've already sent people to protect him in the dark. Don't worry." He looked in the direction of Mount Baiyue. "It's about time. Let them depart immediately."

Shen Han replied, "Yes, sir."

He Yan arrived at the training field. He didn't see Liang Ping, but he saw Du Mao. Du Mao held a booklet in his hand and called out He Yan and Shi Tou's names. The two of them went forward and saw Jiang Jiao, Huang Xiong, and Wang Ba standing on the side.

"Five people form a group during the flag battle. You're in the same group." Du Mao said, "After the time it takes to burn a stick of incense, you'll depart on foot and head to Mount Baiyue. Don't cross the mountain. There are red flags everywhere on the mountain. You'll have to return before sunset. " After a pause, he continued, "There will be thirty groups of recruits going up the mountain. The group with the most flags will be the winner."

"There are weapons on the weapons rack. Quickly pick a suitable one. Crossbows can't be used. During the flag battle on Mount Baiyue, don't hurt your comrades. Don't overdo it. Don't hurt your own life. Don't worry about your comrades. "

They all nodded.

Jiang Jiao chose the long spear that he was good at. Huang Xiong took his golden broadsword. Wang Ba was good at crossbows, but crossbows couldn't be used in this battle. Therefore, he chose a phoenix head axe, which looked very cool. Shi Tou took an iron head stick. Everyone looked at He Yan and thought He Yan was going to take the Mandarin Duck Saber. Unexpectedly, she took a nine-section whip from the rack.

"You …" Shi Tou was a bit hesitant. They all knew that He Yan was good with the saber, crossbow, and spear, but they didn't know how good she was with the whip. In the end, the whip didn't look as impressive as the saber or sword.

"You'll know when we get to the mountain." He Yan smiled. "Let's go."

They each took their own weapons and rushed towards Mount Baiyue.

Du Mao laughed loudly behind them and said, "I'll be waiting for your good news here. Go, boys!"

The birds in the forest were startled and flew in all directions. The people disappeared into the forest in the blink of an eye. Ma Damei and Liang Ping came from afar, each leading a horse. Ma Damei said to Liang Ping, "It's almost time. Let's go."

Thirty teams and more than a hundred new recruits were in Mount Baiyue. They were like fish in the sea, unable to see anything. Just as they stepped into the forest, Wang Ba suddenly said, "Wait!"

They stopped and looked at him. "What?"

"Someone went up the mountain before us. What if they're lying in ambush in the forest and we step into a trap?"

"Don't worry," He Yan said with a smile. "The battle for the flag has just begun. Everyone is busy fighting for the flag. We don't have a single flag in our hands right now. What's the use of ambushing us? I guess everyone is going to … the Shannan White Stone. "

"Why the Shannan White Stone?" Jiang Jiao asked.

"Shi Tou, show them the map." He Yan looked at Shi Tou.

Shi Tou took out a roll of paper from his bosom and slowly unfolded it. There were several red dots drawn on the paper, but they were only general directions. Every team that fought for the flag was given a map. The location of the flag was indicated on the map, but it was only general directions. The map was drawn very carelessly, and there were no trees or rivers. There were only four directions: north, south, east, and west.

"Look, there are a total of twenty flags." He Yan pointed at the red dot at the bottom. "The one closest to the foot of the mountain should be the mountainside. When the new recruits enter the mountain, they will naturally search for the nearest flag and try to get it. There's a small stream next to the Shannan White Stone. The surrounding area is wide and there are no trees to cover it. This flag should be the easiest to find. Most of the brothers who went up the mountain before us are probably looking for this flag. "

"How do you know it's the Shannan White Stone?" Huang Xiong was suspicious. "There's only one dot on it."

"I'm just guessing, but don't worry. When I was patrolling the mountain, I memorized the path. Even if there's a deviation, I can find it easily."

"Weren't you chased by wolves when you were patrolling the mountain?" Wang Ba couldn't help but ask, "You still remember the path?"

"Yes, when I was chased by wolves, I also took a look at the path. When I came back, I memorized it again. I'm very familiar with it." He Yan looked at him with a smile. "You have to believe in your boss. There's absolutely no problem."

Hearing this, Wang Ba suppressed his anger and turned his head away. He didn't want to look at He Yan anymore.

He Yan couldn't help but laugh. It was necessary to memorize the terrain and every path on the battlefield. She had been in the Vanguard Battalion before, and the most important thing was to understand the enemy's situation and the surrounding environment at the beginning of the battle.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's go straight to the Shannan White Stone to grab the flag! "Huang Xiong carried his broadsword on his back." How do we get there? "

He Yan: "…" This guy doesn't know the way.

"We're not going in this direction," He Yan said.

"Why not?" Huang Xiong frowned.

"Right now, there must be a lot of people fighting for the same flag. If we want to grab it, there are too many opponents. It's not worth it." He Yan shook his head. "Let's not join in the fun. Let's go in this direction. "She pointed in the opposite direction on the map. There was also a red dot there.

"There's a dense forest here, and the path is very steep. It's easy to get lost. I thought about it. Unless it's someone who remembers the path very well, it's very difficult to find this flag. So it shouldn't be easy for others to take it away. We'll go straight there and take this flag first. "

"There are only twenty flags in total. I think we only need to take more than half of them to win. So at the beginning, we'll look for these hidden flags that won't be noticed by others. It'll save us some energy. After all, when it comes to fighting for a flag, it's not necessarily the strength of the hands, but here. "She pointed at her head.

Was she praising herself for being smart in a different way? The others were a little speechless. Huang Xiong asked, "Do you really remember the path?"

"Absolutely." He Yan blinked and said, "I won't forget the path."

The young man was wearing a red outfit. Although he was thin and weak, his eyes were especially cunning and quick-witted. The sunlight shining through the gaps in the forest shone on his body, making him seem as if his whole body was glowing.

"Okay, okay, okay. Let's go." Wang Ba was the first to speak. "Let's go quickly. If we're late, it'll all be taken by others. What's the point of fighting!"

Shi Tou and He Yan were in the same group, so naturally, he didn't say anything. Jiang Jiao was young, and he admired He Yan for the previous shooting competition, so he didn't have any objections. The others all agreed. Huang Xiong, who was the oldest, also didn't say anything. Most importantly, he had no sense of direction. If no one led the way, he could wander around in the forest for three days and three nights.

Therefore, the five of them unexpectedly regarded He Yan as their leader.

The five of them walked up the mountain together. Because they didn't ride horses, the mountain path was rugged. At first, everyone was worried that He Yan wouldn't be able to keep up. However, when they saw her light and relaxed expression, they gradually relaxed. They knew that with He Yan's physical strength, it shouldn't be a problem for her to reach the top of the mountain.

He Yan, as she said, seemed to have walked the path of Mount Baiyue countless times and memorized all the small paths. She avoided all the main roads that could possibly collide with other groups and only took the smaller paths. The paths were harder to walk on, but the distance was much shorter. Moreover, every thicket that seemed to have no path was pushed aside by her, and she actually walked on another path.

"You guys should think more about everything." He Yan sighed and said, "Does the path have to be straight? Can't it be curved? Do people have to walk on the ground? Can't you learn from a gecko and climb up the wall? Rules are dead, but people are alive. If you put in more effort, many things aren't so complicated. "

Everyone: "…"

Huang Xiong said in a muffled voice, "I'm forty-six this year."

He Yan answered while walking, "Yes."

"You're only sixteen this year."

In other words, what right did a sixteen-year-old brat have to teach his elders? The elders have eaten more salt than you have eaten rice!

He Yan said, "But you still don't know the way."

Huang Xiong didn't know how to respond. What kind of person was this? He was completely invulnerable.

As they talked, they climbed over a mound and saw a small flag hidden in the bushes, standing alone on the ground.

"Found it!" Jiang Jiao's eyes lit up. He took a few steps forward and held the flag in his hand. "There really is one!"

"It really was found." Wang Ba muttered. Seeing the young man leaning against a tree, he said leisurely, "I already said that I won't forget."

Seeing this, the monitors hiding in the bushes took two steps forward and whispered, "What's going on? How did they find it so quickly? "

It was reasonable to say that the flag was hidden deep in the bushes, and the road was not easy to walk on. Most people should be fighting for the white stone flag in the south of the mountain. However, at this time, this group of people had come here directly from the beginning. Moreover, they didn't encounter any obstacles on the way. Did they … know the location of the flag in advance?

"Don't worry about it. Hurry up and reply." The monitor quickly wrote a few words on a piece of paper and sealed it into the copper tube on the pigeon's leg.

In a room in the station, the black and white pieces on the chessboard were scattered. Someone was playing chess.

A pigeon flew to the young man's shoulder and cooed twice. The latter took the copper tube from its leg and took out the note to read it.

Shen Han looked at the note in confusion.

Xiao Jue passed the note to him. Shen Han took it and read it. After a moment, he said in shock, "They found it so quickly?"

"It's expected." Xiao Jue curled his lips and smiled. His eyes became clearer and clearer. He said, "At this time, he came here directly in the morning."

There were 20 flags on the White Moon Mountain. The closest flag was next to the white stone in the south of the mountain. Although it had been found early in the morning, there were too many people who came to fight for it. Until now, there was no clear winner. Instead, the flag in He Yan's hand became the first flag to be found. This was because no one came to fight for it.

"He remembers the way?" Shen Han was suspicious. Even if there was a patrol at the beginning, it was impossible for a person to remember the way so well. Moreover, at the beginning, the recruits didn't know the purpose of patrolling the mountain, so they didn't deliberately remember the way. To be able to remember half of it was already very good.

"Not necessarily. Maybe," Xiao Jue said, "he just knew about today's flag fight in advance."

If he knew about it in advance, he would deliberately remember it when he was patrolling the mountain. Or he could think deeper. He Yan had the specific map of the White Moon Mountain from the beginning. Therefore, when he saw the flag, he knew the specific location.

Shen Han frowned. "If that's the case, he is indeed suspicious. What should we do next? "

"Continue," the young man smiled faintly. He took his time to place a chess piece. "It's not over yet. The winner is unknown. We will only know the result at the end. There's no need to rush."

After He Yan found the flag, he led the other four people to continue walking up the mountain. Her path, on the other hand, seemed to be a bit shorter than the others. Occasionally, there would be recruits from other groups that couldn't be avoided. Before the other party could notice, He Yan had everyone lie down in the grass or behind the bushes, so that they wouldn't meet them head on.

Wang Ba was a little dissatisfied. He was used to being the leader of the mountain bandits. When had he ever been so timid? He only said, "We're not afraid of them. Why are we hiding? I think we shouldn't hide. Let's just go and fight for it! "

"It's still early," He Yan patiently explained to him. "The other recruits we meet may not have flags, but we have flags. Once there's a conflict, if we win, we may not get the spoils. If we lose, we even lose the flags in our hands. Isn't it not worth it? "

Seeing that Wang Ba was still unwilling, she unfolded the map in her hand and showed it to Wang Ba. "I've seen it. Just like before, there are a total of three flags hidden in the depths of the forest. We've already gotten one, so there are still two more. If we walk along this path, we should be able to find the last flag, which is close to the top of the mountain. "

"We'll get these three flags first. After we get these three flags, we'll reach the top of the mountain." She said, "When we reach the top of the mountain, we'll think about what to do next."

These words barely convinced Wang Ba. He said, "This is what you said. There are still two flags. If there aren't any," he waved his fist, "I'll teach you a lesson!"

He Yan wasn't afraid at all. She smiled and took his fist away. "Little brother, you can't be so rude to boss." She looked into the distance. "Let's go."

The sun was getting brighter.

Although the depths of the forest weren't as hot as the bottom of the mountain, because the mountain path was rugged, everyone was sweating profusely. There were many birds, beasts, insects, and ants on the mountain, and they even encountered a few snakes on the road. Surprisingly, He Yan dealt with these unexpected situations with ease. Compared to Wang Ba, she was more like the master of the mountain. If they didn't know that He Yan was a recruit from Shuo Jing, they would have thought that she was a hunter born and raised on Mount Baiyue.

She didn't lie. Although the path she led was a bit bumpy, she was able to find the other two flags without any hindrance. The last flag was taken by Jiang Jiao. Huang Xiong looked ahead and said uncertainly, "The top of the mountain is in front of us."

He Yan nodded. "That's right." She looked down the mountain. "We took a shortcut. Along the way, we didn't meet any other groups that were faster than us. We should be the first to reach the top of the mountain. "

While the other recruits were busy fighting for the flags, they avoided other people and only looked for the flags. It was very convenient and also saved a lot of time.

Wang Ba sat down under a tree, unscrewed the water bottle at her waist, and drank a big mouthful of water. She said, "We didn't do anything except kill two snakes. We took two axes for nothing. I say, we're here to look for something, not to steal something, right? "

It was quite sullen to avoid other people and look for something secretly. Although Huang Xiong and Jiang Jiao didn't say anything, their expressions showed that they agreed with Wang Ba's words.

Shi Tou said, "It's fine as long as we win. There's no need to stick to the method."

"Brother Shi Tou is smart." He Yan smiled. "If you want to compete, why don't you just go to the martial arts practice field and challenge them? Fighting for the flag isn't a test of one's skills. "

She clapped her hands, looked at everyone, and smiled. "However, I never said that we were going to hide here forever." He Yan said, "Let's all prepare."

"Prepare for what?" Jiang Jiao didn't understand.

He Yan smiled faintly: "Robbery."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

158K 7.7K 91
𝑰𝒏𝒅𝒖𝒍𝒆𝒌𝒉𝒂, a young cheerful girl from Kaliyug, is reborn as the sister of the Pandavas after she dies. She was the apple of their eyes, thei...
Beyond Times By Woody

Historical Fiction

94K 6K 56
-"And where do I reside?" -"You reside in my heart, Priye!" Two broken souls, who endured pain and loneliness all their life. Destiny united them and...
7.9K 537 40
Just like how two shores of sea can never meet, they can never meet too, might be physically but never mentally. The other shore is too far to even t...
45K 6.1K 18
This is the sequel of RRR, so new readers please read it before starting this book. Agneya, the soon to be crown prince of Rakshatra, was bounded by...